Till Human Voices Wake Us

Printer-friendly version

As a parent, you're responsible for the lives of your children. You make a thousand judgment calls before sending them out to meet the world, and sometimes what you think is right ... isn't. By the time you see how wrong you've been, it's usually too late, and there's no going back.

Inspired by The Softening of Jessie by AshleyTS, this is a story about another mother, her son, the daughter he became ... and what happened when they both woke up.


 
Till Human Voices Wake Us
by Randalynn

 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

-- The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Elliot

###

She comes down in her bathrobe two hours late to a dark and empty kitchen. Usually Jenny lets herself in and wakes her, but today, she wakes up on her own. The change in routine worries her so much that she runs down the stairs, her heart beating wildly.

Instead of Jenny at the stove making breakfast for the two of them, she finds an envelope sitting in the center of the table, leaning against the sugar bowl. Whoever had left it couldn't decide how to address it, and there were multiple attempts at writing something on the front, each one crossed out so completely that whatever had been written was totally gone. Finally, under all this, she reads a single word.

"Mom."

For some reason this fills her with a strange fear. There's no reason for it. She's been Mom to Jenny since ... well, since forever.

And yet she's here, and the envelope is here. And Jenny ... isn't.

She rips open the envelope with trembling hands, and unfolds the several sheets inside. Instead of her daughter's pretty penmanship, the words inside are written with thin, hurried strokes, deep black lines clearly etched into the paper by strong emotion. She feels the dread grow stronger and drops into a kitchen chair, letting the envelope fall to the floor as she begins to read the tear-stained pages:

Last night, right before bed, I woke up.

I came home late from working at the diner. I kicked off my heels, took off my uniform, and slipped into a nice long bath. Then I dressed in a soft nightgown and settled in under my quilt on the sofa with a yogurt and an apple to see what was on TV.

The only thing on was a PBS science special, followed by a showing of this old black and white movie, something called The Manchurian Candidate. The special was all about brainwashing and mind control, and you know I don't usually watch that kind of stuff. I'm mostly into mindless sitcoms. But when the show started, something inside me jumped just a little, and I wound up glued to the screen the whole time. It all seemed very familiar somehow, and it made me feel weird inside.

When the movie came on, the feelings only got stronger. I watched as they made the poor brainwashed soldiers do anything they wanted, and the Chinese scientists were all so smug and superior and treated them like they were nothing. I started feeling worse and worse, all sad and angry about this stupid movie, and I couldn't figure out why.

Then suddenly, I woke up ... and I remembered.

Everything.

The pills. The CDs. The clothes, the make-up, the hormones ... the lies. All the things you and Aunt Carol did to turn me into THIS.

Before I could even think about it, I found myself with my head hanging over the toilet, retching up my dinner and trying to hold my hair out of the way. I felt wave after wave of anger, hatred, and disgust pushing the crap you fed into my brain away. By the time my stomach was empty, I was curled up in a ball on my bathroom floor, bawling my eyes out. It wasn't because I was six years older and a woman. It was because my own mom hated me enough to want to do this to her only son.

It wasn't like turning off a switch, the remembering. In a way, I was still Jenny. I remembered everything about her, and I knew everything she knew. But I also remembered Jimmy again, and all the things you did. Every step you took me through to turn me into a girl was right there, as if it was happened again. I spent the whole night reliving the experience with my eyes open this time, watching you and Carol laughing at me while you turned my mind inside out, and erased all the things that made me ... me.

It made me want to throw up all over again.

I was only sixteen when you did this. I remembered the conversations you had in front of me once the mind control had taken hold, when you'd ordered Jenny not to listen. You'd both decided I was a lost cause. Since when did you learn how to see the future? I was SIXTEEN! I still had growing up to do! You didn't KNOW anything! But because you THOUGHT I was going to turn out badly, you changed me into the "perfect" daughter, and killed me yourself, instead. Nice going, Mom.

You know, before last night ... before I woke up ... I loved you. You were my Mom, my best friend, my world, my light. You loved me so much, cared for me as no other ever did, kept me safe, and always knew just what to say to make every decision feel right."

Now I know how it is, and how it really was. I know you went into my head and changed me. Suddenly, everything you told me sounded so reasonable, so right. You kicked my mind wide open so I believed everything you said, and every time you opened your mouth, another piece of Jimmy died.

Last night, I remembered it all, and watched it happen again. I watched you slice away my past a sentence at a time, day after day, week after week.

"Wear this, drink this, take this, be this. Oh, you're so pretty in that dress, Jenny. You wear those heels so well, it's like you were born in them. Oh, of course boys don't wear dresses and heels, but you wear them because you're a girl, after all."

"How are you going to play soccer with your friends? Why, don't be silly! You're not going to play soccer anymore. Why? Because you don't like soccer, remember? You've NEVER liked soccer. Exercise, yes, but just to stay fit, just to stay trim, just to stay pretty so when you wear your bikini to the beach, all the boys want to be with you."

"And aren't sports kind of icky, anyway? All that running around outside, pushing yourself to make goals, as if goals are so important. Plus, you need to be aggressive to play sports, and you don't want to be like that, do you, Jenny? Girls aren't pushy, like boys. They're soft and submissive and helpful and kind. Besides, you don't really want to win anything, do you? You don't really need to excel. Competing is for boys, after all, and it only gets them into trouble. Be a cheerleader, instead. They never play. They just look pretty and cheer for the ones who do."

"Be a good girl, be a pretty girl, be the girl I want you to be. Be a pretty pink powder puff who knows and keeps her place -- a warm friendly girl who wouldn't dream of talking back or winning a soccer championship or running a company ... or running for President. Someone who would never dream of wanting more, because wanting and needing anything more than a pretty outfit or someone to love is too aggressive for a beautiful girl like you."

So I became what you made me -- a pretty puppet with no goals, no aspirations, no real desires at all. Did you realize what you were doing when you stripped that part of me away? I became a waitress in a beachfront diner -- not because that's what I wanted, but because the job was there, and you told me to take it, that it would be fun! I just couldn't understand why you wanted me to go to college. That surprised you, didn't it? I was a straight A student because you told me to study, but I had no interest in being better than I was -- being better than what YOU made me. Just pretty, shallow, and empty, that was the Jenny you wanted. And that was the Jenny you got.

Jenny didn't want to move out and grow up, but you needed to feel like she was moving forward, getting out on her own. For some reason, you wanted to feel like she was something more than a puppet. So you found her a tiny studio apartment near the beach -- a box your life-sized Barbie could put herself away in every night, when she was finished pretending to have the life you pushed her into in the first place.

Remember when you thought it would be a good idea for me to start dating in high school? After the surgery at the clinic to fix the "little problem" between my legs? You didn't think the programming would matter after that, did you? Because you thought I was "done," somehow. You thought what you did was finished.

Until I started sleeping with any boy bright enough to ask for it.

They would cuddle me close and whisper suggestions, and I would just happily go along with anything they said, because everything sounded great to Jenny. Thanks to you, there's a picture of me in the dictionary right next to the phrase "can't say no." For a while, there I was, Jenny the easy happy bimbo slut, open to any lewd fantasy a man could have. Years after you finished making me what you wanted, I was still having my reality rewritten by anyone with a voice.

But when you realized what was happening, you fixed Jenny the party girl, didn't you? You sat me down and lovingly convinced me that casual sex was terribly, horribly wrong -- unless, of course, you happen to find just the right guy. Then you can be the biggest slut alive, as long as he makes you his wife, so it's respectable.

And Jenny listened, of course. All you ever needed to do was deliver a few well-chosen words, and she became exactly what you wanted. It was never about what Jenny wanted, because Jenny never really wanted ANYTHING. She was like the world's biggest pile of pleasantly-shaped modeling clay. She cared about what you cared about. She wanted whatever you wanted her to want. Because that's how puppets work.

Of course, by that point I already had a reputation as the high school slut, so forget about having any real friends, male or female. Not that I could keep them anyway. Since Jenny had no real interests, she couldn't hold a conversation to save her life unless it revolved around fashion or boys. I was so shallow, a goldfish would've drowned if it tried to swim in my personality. On the other hand, with no social life to speak of, I studied hard and learned quite a bit -- mostly because you told me I should.

I guess I have you to thank for being able to write so well about the "thing" I've become. The "thing" you made me.

Thanks, Mom. You're the best.

Before I woke up, Jenny loved you. But now, I don't know if Jenny ever really loved you, or if it was just some suggestion you put in my head. After all, the daughter you turned your son into would HAVE to love you, after all you did for her. Just a few words in her ear, and you'd be best friends forever.

Now I'm not even sure I ever LIKED you. I don't even know if Jenny was capable of real emotions. If I weren't numb right now, I'd probably hate you for what you've done. I'm pretty sure I do. I know Jimmy loved and trusted you once. But thanks to the past six years, I don't KNOW anything now. I can't FEEL anything. Except betrayal. I feel that right enough. And I feel Jimmy's pain -- the pain you never let him feel when you killed him slowly six years ago.

He feels it all. I feel it all.

Because I came back to life, last night.

So what am I going to do? What can I do? It's over now. I'm not anyone's puppet. I cut my strings last night. But unlike Pinocchio, I'm not a real boy, either. I'm a thing -- half ghost and half woman, with no idea who she really is ... or who she's truly supposed to be.

Or even if she's supposed to be.

Can Jimmy live like this? Can I? I don't know.

I sat on the beach the morning after I woke up, looking out on the ocean, and I could almost hear the mermaids calling me to join them. I'm one of them, sort of, after all -- a halfling, a half-thing, trapped in this body ... in this half-life ... with no way back and no way out.

I don't know how to be a mermaid, Mom. I'm not even sure I want to learn. So here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to get dressed in my prettiest swimsuit and jump into the waves. I'm going to swim out to sea until I can't swim anymore. Then I'm going to stop, and float, and listen. And see if they sing to me.

I'd sign this letter, but I can't. Because I don't know who I am anymore, and I'm not sure I ever will.

And if that doesn't bother you at all, then to hell with you. You're even less human than I am.

Goodbye.

She sits there at the kitchen table, the letter in her hand, until the day turns to night, and she can't see the paper anymore.

###

Three days later, she comes home from walking on the beach, looking for her daughter's body, and sees the light blinking on her answering machine. Torn between hope and despair, she reaches out a trembling hand for the Play button, afraid of what she thinks the message might be ... and not sure she wants to hear.

Beep.

"I'm home. And I'm alive." Her baby's voice is tired and sad and full of bitterness.

"It turned out that I heard the mermaids singing after all, and I sang along. Instead of drowning, I swam back to shore." She takes a deep breath.

"You better hope my college fund is still in one piece, because you're going to be hearing from a lawyer. I want every cent in a cashier's check, plus half of whatever you have in the bank. I think a self-imposed fine is the best you can hope for, after betraying and murdering a boy you were supposed to protect."

"If you don't pay, I'll go to the police with my Jimmy birth certificate and my Jenny birth certificate, and the old photo albums and the new photo albums I took from the house when I got back from the sea. I'll tell them everything, and then we'll see what they can charge you with. If nothing else, they can get you for falsifying records. After all, Jenny's paperwork is as fake as I am. But I'll be pushing for child abuse, too. And in the end, I'll take what I can get."

"You made me a woman. I can't change that. But if I'm going to have to be a woman, I'm going to be a strong one. No more sweet submissive dress-up doll. Aggressive? Hell, yeah! I won't be a bitch or a bully, but I won't shy away from a fight. I won't let anyone stop me from being who I want to be -- just as soon as I figure out what the hell that is."

"I'm going to school to figure out where I go from here. Maybe I'll be a psychologist. Maybe I'll go into law enforcement. Maybe I'll be a lawyer. I want to be someone who uses who she is and what she knows to make a difference -- to save people like me from people like you, who sacrifice the rights of others to do what they think is right. I don't know exactly how I'm going to live this life you forced onto me, but it's my life, and I'm going to make it count for something."

"I'm not Jimmy anymore, but I'm not Jenny either. So I'm changing my name to Gem. It's partly because of the Jim I almost was, but mostly because ... well, now that the light has hit me, I'm gonna shine. Yeah, it's corny, I know, but what the hell. I guess I'm just that kind of girl...now."

"So in a way, you won. You 'saved' me, and I'm going to be a 'good girl' and do something important with my life. Boo-yah for you, mommy dearest. But you killed Jimmy to do it, and took the rest of HIS life away, and I won't forget. Or forgive. He'll never learn how to be a "good" man. No children for him. No wife, no family. No being a husband and a father. Not even a memory for anyone except me."

"I don't know how I am going to feel about men, and dating, and sex, because I'm still trying to figure out how to feel at all. Maybe I'll be a lesbian, or spend the rest of this life alone with a dozen cats. But I'll deal with all that when I know myself better. I've got time, now that I'm awake. And alive, again."

"As for you? Don't call me. Don't contact me at all. I don't want to hear you. I don't want to see you. I don't want to know you. If you have something to say, talk to my lawyer. If I feel like replying, her voice is the only one you'll ever hear. Because I'm done with you."

"You killed me dead, and let the corpse walk around for six years because she was pretty and nice and never made a fuss. You don't even deserve this phone call, but I wanted to deliver a message, and this is it."

"Stay the hell away from me. You killed me once because I trusted you, and I'm not about to make that same mistake again. The only reason I'm alive now is because I turned on the TV that night and saw pieces of my first death rerun on PBS. I came back to life inside a girl, and we both swam out into the ocean to die together."

"Instead, we both heard the mermaids sing, and it turned out to be a song about life. It's full of pain and betrayal and hatred and rage, but also the chance to have a future, which is the one thing death can never bring. The mermaid's song never ends, because in a way, the song IS life, and being alive means hope, and dreams, and maybe love, if I can grow enough to take that chance and learn to trust again."

"But the chance to be something more is enough to keep me living. I don't want to die anymore. I died once, and that's enough."

"That's enough. I'm done. And like I said, I'm done with you." Long silence. "So fuck you. And goodbye ... Mom."

The machine beeps once and shuts itself down. She feels the tears start, but they are tears of joy.

When she and Carol first decided to do this to Jimmy, it felt so right. Jimmy kept getting into trouble and nothing she could do seemed to help. She had been at the end of her rope when Carol suggested the program. So she agreed to turn her son into her daughter.

It went so well for a while. Jimmy took to it all so well, following every suggestion until he was a she in nearly every way. They took her all the way to becoming Jenny, and then they realized something was wrong. She was ... empty. Her son, once so full of life, had become nothing more than the sum of their lessons, and nothing they could do would bring back the vitality and energy that used to belong to Jimmy. Instead of saving him, they had killed him.

Carol was happy, though. She had never liked Jimmy, and took every opportunity to play with her new girl-toy. She would humiliate her and push her to become even more of a caricature. She remembered angry words between the sisters, loud bitter fights that raged into the night. Eventually she sent her sister away, and told her she never wanted to see her again.

She never had.

Then the long wait began. The years of watching over Jenny, keeping her safe from errant suggestions and hoping that one day, somehow, she would wake up and be more than a shell once more.

And she did! Her daughter is finally alive, and her son is living again ... in her.

When she had thought that Jimmy would never wake up, she cried for weeks. Now she cries again, because the worst has been undone. Her baby lives again.

"She hates me," the woman thinks. "But she's right to. I know that now. What I did was so wrong ... still, it's time for me to let her go, and let her live the life she almost lost, because of me. She might come back, someday. Maybe. But until then, I'll be alone. I gave up everyone else to be with my child, to keep her safe. Now I have no one. But it's part of my punishment for what I did ... for almost killing my boy. It'll be okay. It will."

Still, the mother listens to the silence and feels numb. And waits in fear for the numbness to go away, and for the loneliness to start.

She won't have to wait long.

###

Thanks to Frank and Kaho for pre-reading and letting me know their thoughts. I've edited it a bit since then, so any mistakes are purely mine -- Randalynn

Till Human Voices Wake Us © 2009 by Randalynn


 

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Misstresspiece

Ah, this is what I've come to expect and love. Randalynn giving voice to all of us, and doing it so eloquently. I read and appreciated AshleyTS's "Softening Of Jessie", even as I personally deplored the activities portrayed. I was conflicted, did enjoying the story endorse "forced femme" as a behavior? I didn't think so, but I wasn't sure.

But now Randalynn has expressed the underlying immorality of the activity far better than any of my poorly-written comments. This does not change the fact of my having read "Jessie", and I would likely read it again if somehow I were to come on it with no awareness of having previously read it.

Randalynn, however, has given a voice to the victims, those abused and warped, even out of "kindness" by their families and loved ones. We need this as much as we need the freedom that allows the original story to be written and read. I would not even attempt to censor or ban it, that would be wrong. But I thank Randalynn for giving a voice to the other side of this coin.

Well done, Randalynn. Thank you.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Ditto on that, Karen

Um, it wasn't my off-handed suggestion that this excelent but bittersweet/dark humor(?) story and another currently ongoing at BC were candidates for a *Stark* treatment that triggered this, was it? If it was I am humbled by your responce.

Karen hit most of the points I might have made.

The only thing I might like to see done that wasn’t in the original or your responce piece -- the grandmother in the original, the aunt in yours -- the mom/sister of the mother never does get punished other than her daughter/sister breaking up and never seing her again – boo-hoo!

In the original granny expressed outright hatred for the father thus the ultimate revenge in chemically castrating and feminizing HIS son. But then she, thought the most evil one of all, is a lesser character. Hum, only all of the college fund and only half her other assets? The artificial *daughter* is being lenient as the likely punishment for what amounts to kidnapping/mutilation/child abuse/tampering with official documents and so on is life in prison plus a few. And then there are the civil suits for *damages* Plus the doctor involved is guilty as sin. I wonder what Gem will do or has done to the despicable aunt or the doctor for that matter? I would hope it's scorched earth, send the sweetie to prison or kill her and frame mommy dearest. Mommy deserves a few weeks/months of calm, maybe even hints her *daughter* may speak to her again then lower the boom on her and her evil mentor. Ghod’s I detest people like the fictional culprits and real life sickos all the more.

If mom was so repentant, as she seemed to be in the end in the original, why did she not, one, turn in her coconspirator then rush to the best specialists available with the drugs and tapes and info about the doctor involved in it to see if her son could be restored. That she never did that is proof her remorse was half-hearted, that she want's her faux daughter.

I like how you got to the core of it, that the boy was being punished/transformed for what he MIGHT do/become in the future, not what he HAD done. Right out of Future Crime or whatever the crime predicting firm was in Spiellberg’s sci-fi classic, Minority Report.

So nice to see something from you, Randalynn. As always so well done, the rage is there and palpable yet the *civility* with which Gem makes her case makes it all the more chilling. But then James Mason’s villain in Hitchcock’s North by Northwest was all the more sinister for is upper-class charm and manners.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. There are three NEW Red Dwarf episodes out, entitled Back to Earth.

John in Wauwatosa

On the other hand...

Puddintane's picture

...although it's difficult to tell because so much of this is self-report (and possibly self-serving), he appears to have been a hateful and destructive boy and has turned, or has been turned, into a hateful and destructive woman. So the mother's attempt to restore the "good child" she desperately wanted failed, and the attempt to turn him into a woman failed as well, because he's still a selfish putz.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

If you turn this story around, and have, let's say, the father try to turn his "sissy" boy into a man, would hatefulness and vindictive lawsuits be an appropriate response?

Is that what either a "real man" or a "real woman" would do?

Where's the conscious self in all this?

Where's the development of adult responsibility?

I daresay many children have terrible experiences during childhood, are thwarted from their true desires, whether those be running away to sea, to the circus, or to the corps de ballet at the Bolshoi. Which experience is the more terrible? Is this hurt, or disappointment, like the cartoon Lucy's in the Peanuts comic strip, much worse than anyone else's could possibly be "because it happened to me!"?

Should children who turn out to be atheists, or devout adherents of the Krishna Consciousness movement, or Scientologists, be encouraged and allowed to despise and bring lawsuits against their well-meaning parents who "stupidly" raised them as Catholics, or Baptists, or Quakers?

If not, why not?

How about music lessons? Or football practise?

If it turns out that one might have made millions playing for Arsenal, or at Carnegie Hall, might it be reasonable to steal the live savings of one's parents to "make up" for their incredible lack of foresight in sending one off to the "wrong lessons?"

If things don't turn out the way one wanted them to, isn't it *always* someone else's fault?

Shouldn't they pay for their ignorance?

Shouldn't everyone *pay* for failing to live up to our own high standards?

It seems to me that this attitude is perilously close to the anger that leads people to buy hunting rifles and climb up on towers and shoot random people for the "crime" of being happier than they are.

Puddin'
-----------
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
--- Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr

A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
--- Albert Einstein

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

An interesting response, Puddin'

And somewhat unexpected. *grin*

I think robbing someone of their ability to think for themselves and then twisting their body to suit your specifications is a little higher on the Josef Mengele parenting scale than religious choice, football practice and music lessons. Considering the level of betrayal and how close a thing it was that Jimmy woke up at all inside what Jenny had become, Gem's response is surprisingly void of vengeance. She demands the college fund (which was hers anyway, since the mother wanted JENNY to go and Jenny refused), since NOW she can actually choose a future. And she wants half of her mother's assets because damn it, JIMMY almost stayed dead. Some kind of punishment for what was done is appropriate.

Lawsuits are threatened, not initiated, solely to encourage the mother to cooperate. Gem has no idea whether her mom would push back, and she doesn't want to have to deal with her any more than she has to. I didn't see hateful or destructive -- if that was the case, Gem would have just gone straight to the police and had Mom arrested, put a warrant out for Carol, and started civil proceedings to leave her mom penniless and in prison.

The Gem we meet in the answering machine message seems pretty lenient to me, compared to the magnitude of the crime committed against her.

To me, there is no greater crime than stealing someone's right to choose their own path, to learn and grow and become the person they could have been. We're here to chart a course, make our own judgment calls and make our own lives. As a parent, i do my best to raise my kids to be good people, so they can figure out where they want to go. Then I do everything i can to help them.

Gem's mom figured out she went too far. She's just happy to get her son back from the dead, so maybe he wasn't' quite the creep you seem to think he is. *grin*

Thanks for reading and commenting. *hugs*

Randalynn

Unexpected...

Puddintane's picture

Probably. It's one of my semi-hot buttons.

I agree that it's wicked, but suggest that it's also unlikely, especially by several women acting in concert.

In point of fact, the probability of a child being seriously harmed by a woman is extremely small, and the vast majority of serious crimes against children are perpetrated by men.

Focusing on statistical outliers to the exclusion of those which conform with reasonable expectations has always seemed problematic to me, although serious assaults on children by women do happen, as witness the current furore over the apparent, but unproved, murder of a small girl by a woman in the USA. It's a nine-day wonder, of course, precisely because it's so very rare, except in cases of suicide and mental illness (arguably two viewpoints on similar mental states) and in cases in which a male perpetrator has a female accomplice.

Interestingly, female offenders are usually punished with far more severity than men (boys will be boys?) because a female villain is viewed by most of us with extreme disfavour, and possibly as being more dangerous to society, because we most of us trust women far more readily than we would any man in similar situations.

Possibly this idea arouses stronger emotions as well. After all, we almost *expect* that fathers, older brothers, male cousins, uncles, and male religious figures of authority, will engage in sexual, or semi-sexual, predation against children in their care in some circumstances, and take some pains to ensure that very young children, especially young girls, aren't exposed to unchaperoned men in the general course of daily affairs. We have few, if any, similar expectations of women.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Predators & Prey

Your last paragraph seems to represent the prevailing view that the victims of most sexual predators are young girls. In fact, the police dept. I worked for set up a series of forums one time, for girls and their female guardians, to teach them about sexual molestation, the warning signs and how to react, etc. I asked about similar classes for boys, and was told they weren't necessary.

I don't have the numbers, I am basing this on my own experience plus anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me that a large number of child sexual molestations are committed by men on young boys. Certainly a lot of the child pornography I have run across at one time or another depicted young males, many of whom appeared to be younger than 8-10 years of age.

But there just doesn't seem to be the emphasis on protecting boys that there is on protecting girls. This saddens and disturbs me.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I'm well aware...

Puddintane's picture

...that young boys are preyed upon, but the usual pattern seems to be sexual assault by deception and intimidation which the victim survives, similar to many young girls in similar situations. There are, however, a largish number of young girls and women evidently kidnapped, brutalised, and often raped or sexually violated in other ways with the specific intention of eventually murdering them, either for prurient thrill or to eliminate a witness.

The typical perpetrator of a child abduction and murder, for example, is a young, unmarried man, and the purpose is usually sexual assault. Some kidnap young boys, but most target girls.

The usual victim is an eleven-year-old white girl from a middle-class neighbourhood, and she is raped in close proximity to her death, three quarters of which rapes and murders occurred within three hours of the abduction.

To be fair, a woman or girl is more than ten times as likely to be murdered by a man she knows as by a stranger, so it would be a mistake to suggest that stranger rape and murder is a serious hazard in comparison to having a male friend, husband, or boyfriend, but it's also true that it's very difficult to compare real murder rates between the sexes, because their situations are vastly different for the most part.

Many more men are involved in distributing illegal drugs and violent crime, for example, than are similarly situated women, so their risk of being murdered by rival criminals or other armed men is much larger.

Many more women are involved in street prostitution than men, but it's quite clear that this is not an equal risk, since men as a whole are three times more likely to be killed through violence than women are.

In general, we don't collect crime data in sufficient detail to allow truly fair comparisons to be made, or to fully understand what the exact situation is in any particular homicide. Two thirds of all murders are unsolved, although the risk of being captured is somewhat larger if one kills an acquaintance or family member than if one kills a stranger, so the "real" ratios are obscured by that large proportion of murders which remain unsolved, so we have no way of knowing if more or fewer men escape detection in comparison to women, either exacerbating or lessening the imbalance.

Most women either studiously avoid or minimise placing themselves in situations in which unprotected and unobserved encounters with strange men are likely. If women were as casual about walking around alone at night or down dark alleys as men tend to be, the figures would likely be very differently skewed.

Likewise, if there were as many armed female drug traffickers as there are men, the rates of female homicides would undoubtedly rise.

And when we broaden the scope to include "abuse," the issue is yet more difficult, because there are quite a few "abuses" such as "child endangerment" which may constitute no more than running off to the store to get milk, a "crime" of which women are far more likely to be involved in than men, because women are primary caregivers. In fact, women have been charged with child endangerment for leaving a child in the care of a boyfriend who then harms the child, evidently on the theory that she "should have known better" than to trust a man, any man.

Likewise, women and children spend much more time together than do most men and children, so the dangers are skewed by total exposure as well as propensity. A woman with a 1% likelihood of killing a child may thus be more dangerous overall than a man with a 20% likelihood of doing the same, because the woman spends a hundred times more hours in close and unsupervised proximity.

It's very easy to get caught up in naive "statistical" comparisons that don't take these deeper issues into account, and one might prove almost anything by selective or unconscious manipulation of flawed data combined with false assumptions to start with.

I agree with you that sexual assaults on young boys are very common, in part because "we" are less guarded in our custodianship of boys, so there is selective availability of victims, as well as differing patterns of adult supervision.

It's more common, as I recall, for young boys to be sent off into woods or other places offering concealment with a single male supervisor (presumed to be capable of handling "trouble"), where a similar expedition by girls will have at least two women as supervisors, because we offer women and girls more "safety in numbers" as a matter of course. They are, after all, not seen to be as capable of defending themselves or their charges. So women tend to chaperon themseves, where men don't, as a rule. These presumptions may have changed in recent years, as (for example only) the sexual exploitation of young boys by priests became a matter of public knowledge and attention and women's self-defence instruction has become popular, so my notions may be wildly out of date.

I do know that a male doctor will rarely (if ever) be alone in a room with *any* female patient, and that either a female nurse or a parent will also be present when performing any examination involving any state of dishabille or touching of intimate bits. I've never heard a man complain about all the witnesses to his prostate exam.

The issue is fraught.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Enough already

Pud, it is apparent you have been hurt and you are venting your emotions, but just because males commit the majority of serious crimes, it should not be said that females also committing serious crimes are less guilty. Also FYI, it is easier to change a disruptive male into a constructive male than it is to turn him into a passive female. Femininity is not a reasonable replacement for humanity, nor is it necessarily a more positive face than masculinity. Bitch and Prick are both abhorrent five-letter words, get it!

As for these two stories where Jessie and Jimmy are turned into girls, both parents were as much victims as they were coconspirators. It was Susan, Jessie's grandmother, and Carol, Jimmy's aunt, who were the instigators to these crimes and neither, unfortunately, were punished. Susan even goes on to instigate Jason's transformation. Both of these women perhaps have more in common with your perspective as, though both are fictional, both have likely been hurt and feel a need to share their hateful/perverted hell with some hateful/perverted males. To me though, I feel it to be very demeaning to all women to view femininity as a punishment. That is, if you have to force anything, whatever it is you are doing you are doing it wrong. Good god, this is a TG website; have you ever thought of how such strident and perverted views as forced feminization appears to one who most ardent wish is to become a female?

So, before you get all uppity about how ever you were wronged, remember it is more likely for a woman to marry for money than it is a man. It is the woman who decides to wear high-heel shoes and deceitfully pad their bras to get a man's attention and to get him to offer the ring. Then once the deed is done, they turn into Mother Hubbard wearing something comfortable and consider themselves a victim. It is more often the woman who decides to become a baby factory and force a marriage than it is for the man to become a father. Oh hell, that's another story, not necessarily mine, and like...enough already

Randalynn, great story - praise and good fortune.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I agree with you. I don't

I agree with you. I don't know where puddintane got their ideas, but as far as I know women are always punished less severely for the same crimes as men. In britain they actually put that bias into law - how ridiculous can you actually get?
You also always need to look what kind of statistics you use. The crime statistics of the police give another picture than those of feminist lobbyists. Yes, there is female cruelty and yes it is being underestimated. People are less likely to believe someone who's being abused by a woman than by a man.
I personally don't see it as progress that the roles have reversed in that area. Instead of the evil stepmother it's the evil beating father.

I really don't know how you can call the nu-girl hatefull. His/her whole life was a lie/destroyed by his mother/aunt. I would be more than just depressed and angry if that would have happened to me. I'd probably just lash out and try to do as much damage as I could to the people who abused me, or not. Thanks to god or fate or whatever I've never been in a situation that I've been abused by my family. She'S angry, but I think it's her god given right to be angry.

Randalynn: thank you for writing this captivating story and displaying the horrors of forced femme and brainwashing,
Beyogi

Proportional justice

Randalyn wrote:

> I think robbing someone of their ability to think for themselves and then twisting their body to suit your specifications is a little higher on the Josef Mengele parenting scale than religious choice, football practice and music lessons.

Thank you! That's the best phrasing of the way I feel about the issue that I have ever seen (or thought of).

"It's for your own good" may be one of the most infamous justifications for perpetrating an evil; but it's also the a reasonable explanation for the best efforts of parents who are doing their best to give their children the best possible start in life - despite the offspring coming with no user's manual.

;)

Deni

Wow. Too stunned to say much

Wow.

Too stunned to say much more, really.

Intense, thought-provoking, such a wealth of feeling packed into these words.

Thank you, Randalynn.

Pleione

The opening almost threw me.

The one thing that made me read it, was your name as the author.

As Karen said:
"(The story) ... has given a voice to the victims, those abused and warped, even out of "kindness" by their families and loved ones.", to which I can only add, "or anyone else."

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Value of comments

I read this because of the comments of others, thanks, I am glad I did.
Profound, in a slam up against the wall way and re-humanizes us.

Oh My ....

What a powerful statement Randalynn. I am blown away by the emotion in this! Any act that tears down and injuries a person is bad. What this Carol and his own mother did was a bad thing. The only saving grace of any of this was Jenny awaking and her Mom's redemption accepting what she had done to her child as bad.

What made this story so powerful was that it was also beautiful. The imagery, of the old black and white movie, and the white waves as the mermaids sang was just that beautiful. Once more you have shown us what a gifted writer you are. I'm in awe!

hugs!

grover

nicely done

WEll put!

----------
Jenna

What the Captain Really Meant to Say

littlerocksilver's picture

It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. What deserves to rule? Many in the fundamentalist right would say your mind must conform to the body. I think most of us here believe that it is the mind that shouuld rule and if the body can be satisfactorily altered, so much the better. To twist the mind to conform to the body, whether the body is altered or not is abhorent. Intense counselling to get the mind to recognize its right place is not wrong; however, whatever the result, that result must be the choice of the individual. No one else has that right.

I know that many of us get a kick out of seeing a recalcitrant juvenile delinquent turned into a loving, responsive young woman. I think that's because a loving young woman is who we want to be. I can't recall too many stories where a sweet, effeminate girl is turned into a robust, athletic, chauvanist pig. Wouldn't it be fun to see a chauvanist pig father and his equally dirt bag of a brother turn the sweet, sesitive daughter into their image? - not! I hope when I write about a F to M change that the results are a bit more sensitive and desired by the individual.

I needed to add that I liked this story very much. It just illustrates what I said at the beginning. If you fool with mother nature, the results in the long run are going to be far different from what you expected and probably unfavorable. It may take a long time for those results to be apparent.

Portia

Portia

I agree that it was very well-crafted

Puddintane's picture

The "nature will out" proposition was proved through the belated discovery that John Money's "findings" in regard to the "John/Joan" case, actually David Reimer, who was sex-reassigned against his will when his penis was cauterised down to nothing through an iatrogenic surgical mayhem were forged. Money lied about this case consistently, as in fact David was miserable as a girl, hated the terrible fact of his partial reassignment, refused to allow the creation of an artificial vagina as strongly urged by Money, reverted to living as a male as soon as he found out the truth, and eventually committed suicide while profoundly depressed over his situation, although it's difficult to separate the effects of Money's criminal meddling from those of the surgeon's incompetence.

David accused Money of sexually abusing him, as well as his twin brother, who died of a drug overdose shortly before David took his own life. Two blighted lives. Both destroyed, and the parent's own guilt and shame throughout their childhoods probably didn't help either.

It's known that David was bitter and particularly depressed over the loss of his penis, since he didn't feel that he could be a proper husband to his wife, which Money had nothing to do with, but "the father of sex reassignment" has a lot to answer for.

Unlike the characters in this story, who thought they were doing the best they could, Money *knew* from the start that his great experiment had failed, and that his theories of sexual plasticity were total bunk, but continued making his living as a professional con man regardless of his relation to truth.

And of course, Money was a male, and praised "affectionate" paedophilia, although the "affection" he showed David seems not to have been appreciated quite as much as it ought to have been according to his theories.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

thought provoking.

Randalynn, This story was so thought provoking.... Whatever you might think about forced feminization, The arguments against it were very well put in this story, And in its own way there was an happy ending of sorts!

hugs kirri

An interesting

take on feminizing of males. The reconciliation of the Jenny/Jimmy character is a good read and the ability to use the forced feminizing as a starting point points to a strong central character. I read the part about the mother and saw that she was overruled by her sister. I felt at that point that the sister, Carol, was behind a lot of the humiliation of Jenny, especially the promiscuity.

You do not say any of this, but leave it to the reader's imagination. Of course , you are also acusing parents of living Vicariously through their children, but then all parents do that to some extent. Is it rationalized by calling it Guidance, but stil...

Good story. Thanks.

It's interesting

It struck me, particularly as I read through these comments; that what so many of us find appalling about this type of story is performed legally (and in an accepted fashion) all the time by military forces and religious groups. Maybe its easier to see because of the degree involved... but the destruction of the existing personality to make way for one that performs within the limits of a set standard defined by specific leadership... reminds me of basic training and more than one church camp. I'd like to think I came through those things unscathed because I understood how they worked going in and was able to distance myself if for no other reason than because they didn't have a clue what was going on in my head anyway. But I knew plenty of people who were swept up in events and came out very different than they went in... some for the better... some... just scary.

An Answer...

...to the genre of Femdom/Forced transformation stories.

I cannot say that the situation portrayed nor the character's response is right or wrong. There are arguments, valid ones, in each direction. Certainly, the portrayal of abuse, even when somehow "justified", awakes all sorts of very dark, evil emotions in me that I hate, and never want to relive, yet frequently do. Either way, though, that's not the point.

What makes this story great, and more, very, very important to this community and to the world beyond is that it addresses the position of the victim of such a situation in a more critical, and more vital way than any other such story I have ever read. While there is ultimately acceptance of the result, the characters go through a more complete process to get there. The newly minted young woman may or may not be sweetness and light, but she has some real choice in the matter, she isn't just going along with the flow. She turns, stretches, and tries to plot her own course. Maybe she will find that the one charted for her by her (however well-intentioned) tormentors does in fact work for her; maybe she will eventually reconcile with her mother. If she does--and this is important--it is her choice.

The thing that most bothers me about the stories that this one answers is that the putative protagonist is never given a real choice. The whole idea of transforming oneself, of becoming something else outside of the normal, apathetic, anintentional progress of time is too precious, too valuable for me to be able to see it as a valid way of punitively "improving" someone. It becomes not a drink of water in the wilderness to a parched traveler, but year of waterboarding for no reason other than the sadistic entertainment of observers. What should be a wonder is instead transformed in those stories into a horror.

This story realizes that horror. Whether the character will eventually come to embrace the wonder, or reject it, she is allowed to first feel and acknowledge and begin working through the horror. She is allowed to strike back against the most responsible tormentor. Whether she will ever forgive her mother or not is allowed to be a question for the future. For now, she is allowed the strike she deserves for, as she appropriately "said", the murder of her former self.

Because that is what it is when one forcibly inflicts such an utter transformation on another, it is, not physical but psychic, murder. It is rape of the mind and torment until that mind ceases to exist as such. That >is< reprehensible. That is intolerable. There is no reason that will ever fully justify such torture. It might in fact be necessary--a fact that saddens me more than almost anything I can think of--but it is never _just_. It might be appropriate in a Karmic sense, but that is not something that people can judge, and it is a person who must make the decision to inflict such treatment on another.

I do not say anything about whether or not such stories have value. I've read my share. Generally, I don't enjoy the process that the character goes through, though I do feel relief when (almost inevitably in the genre) the protagonist makes the decision to accept their transformation and its implications. That is relief, however; relief that they were able to overcome what was done to them. This story doesn't really show that stage. Instead it ends with the realization that the protagonist has regained control, and can now decide whether or not to accept. In other words, the protagonist has realized her own power, and has begun to wield it. She is "actualized", she has become herself. This is the root of the mythic cycle. It is a root that has been sorely lacking in this genre. It is a root that is very, very, very welcome.

Randalynn, thank you very much for this story.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Thank you, so much ...

... for understanding. *hugs* The mermaid's song was about life, and life is nothing if not a series of choices. And it is the right of each of us to make her own choice and chart her own course, or we lose what it means to be truly alive and truly human.

The phrase "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" comes to mind, for it is only with life AND liberty that we CAN pursue happiness, and everything else that makes life worth living.

Thank you, momonoimoto, for being so eloquent.

Randalynn

Or

Frank's picture

... for understanding. *hugs* The mermaid's song was about life, and life is nothing if not a series of choices. And it is the right of each of us to make her own choice and chart her own course, or we lose what it means to be truly alive and truly human.

HIS choice...as the case may be...

Hugs

Frank

Adding my voice to the song

Breanna Ramsey's picture

Just ... wow. You've done it again, Randa, delivered an exceptional work that aptly demonstrates that you deserve to be ranked among the very best. Heartrendingly bittersweet and powerfully hopeful all at the same time, this one just left me with a warm glow, though I have to say the ending really caught me off guard. I was bracing myself for tragedy, and was overjoyed when it became triumph.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.
-- Moliere

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Forced Fem. Fiction

Dear Randa,

This is such an excellent story. All the other commentors express this much better than I can. Good on you and all these thought provoking comments.

*** Please note, I can't find my dictionary and I'm just not up for searching for it or writing this in MS Word, etc. Spelling will be even worse than my normal. ***

I was thinking... I hope that these complete identity death stories are only fiction at present. Maybe such complete mind control will be possible in the future or is possible now, but secret.

Changing one's body's apparent sex is definately possible, many of us have done it. Although the right 16 year old boy and just the right hormones, weight loss and gain, surgery, etc. to make a completely undetectable Tgal would be so unlikely as to be very rare. I hope that the best surgeons and other doctors are the legitimate ones, not the unprincipled type that we find in these stories.

Brainwashing certainly does happen, but I think it only creates a hollow, PTSD ridden, mentally ill personality. I think that sleeping listening to music with subliminal messages really can't do much. Certainly not like in these forced fem stories. I think building a functioning female personality in an unwilling male mind is only possible in fiction.

I should think, if the above is correct, that we know the stories are fiction and yet we are so passionately horrified that someone would do this kind of thing.

I think what actually has happened to some of us and to unknown others is real and is worse. From what I've read, there has been forced masculinization done to some of our intersexed members. Their female reproductive tracks were surgically removed and healthy testes left in place to dump unwanted testosterone into their bodies. That these wimyn are with us shows that they did not lose their feminine personalities, but it seems that the same thing might have happened to other intersexed ones, who were forced into lives as men that they could not escape. Possibly all they have left is guilty fantasies of femininity that they try to ignore, telling no one and distracting themselves with alcohol, drugs, workaholism, violence, bigotry, etc.

Heck, that's fairly depressing, sorry.

Hugs, :-(
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

It's Sad But True, and its a Horror

There are some people who are so blinded by misguided beliefs that they would indeed try to "brainwash" their very own children if their children were in fact Lesbian, Gay, Bi TG, IS, or some special disease - and then blame the child for it! Some of these children are now grown up and are amongst us and we are listening to them everyday right here. No one has the right to force their opinions on others to the point of brainwashing and blaming them for something that is not their own fault! And those of us who are the victims of this horror, we sometimes tend to try and repeat that to others or live in a vicious self destructive cycle without realizing it.

I resisted the attempted brainwashing from what was being done to me, but in the process, I became broken - emotionally. Many of us are broken as well. The best that we can do is to help care for and tend to our wounded amongst us, and to also make the public aware of this inhumanity being done to us from society's "moralistic right," whatever names they choose to go under and whatever beliefs they profess to do this injustice in that name.

All of us are worth being with, all of us are worth loving, all of us are human, and we must protect our children from the adults bent on brainwashing and forced indoctrination of "if its not what they want it to be" then to force it on the children so that they become that. The horror being inflicted upon our people as children needs to end. We must allow people who are not heterosexual or whose bodies do not conform with their brain to be themselves, express themselves, and grow up free of violence and fear.

With that being said, if its written about in fiction, I do not care - its a story device.

In real life, I do care. I have friends who are victims and among the Walking Wounded. And I love them all very dearly.
 
 

Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf
   

>> Brainwashing certainly does happen

Puddintane's picture

Indeed it does, and it's frighteningly easy to do.

Police forces all around the world use a combination of exhaustion, thirst, distortion of reality, verbal trickery, and lies to coerce false confessions from suspects all the time. Almost everyone can be "broken" if these tactics are used, and they are used all the time. If interrogated by any police force, say nothing, ask for a lawyer immediately, and demand to be released immediately if you are not under arrest.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/60697.php

http://www.amnestyusa.org/amnestynow/false_confessions.html

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

This came at a neat time

Gem and I made parallel decisions this week, that turned out to be the same in many ways. Have you been looking in my window? I seem to have been going in circles for the last 4 years, and the difference this time is it seemed a much more thought; less hysterical, full tour.

In a manner of speaking, my step father tried to kill Gwen; make me into Gwinn. And it worked for many years; yet many of those around me knew that I was tormented. Oh, I led an extremely successful life, worked a long time and made a lot of money. So now, I have finally become a high priced whore and my sugar daddy is named Social Security.

As is true with so many T folk, one day I woke up and realized once again that I was Gwen in spite of the fact that he tried to kill me. So, my decision this week is like Gem's. I am a woman in spite of the fact that he murdered much of me. And, with the rest of my life and with all the strength I have I will be a good, loving, caring and generous one.

Thank you for validating that for me.

Many Blessings

Gwendolyn
Khadijagwen on SKYPE.

I know I am not supposed to share that but I get calls from about a half dozen middle eastern men a week wanting to have cyber sex with them. It only took once to realize that I just do not have the chutzpah to be as bad as I want to be. I am back to being a good girl, with no whips, chains or gags. :)

I also agree

This is a very powerful and moving story,and i can live with it as is,because they both won,and lost.The mother got the daughter that she wanted,but lost the child forever,Jimmy is dead,but Gem is free and able to make her own choices.

I also think i made a mistake when commenting on "the softening of jessie",when i called mum,gran,and ashley the protagonists,maybe it should have been the antagonists.Thats what you get when you use big words your not sure of.

I only said that i would yell at the computer screen,not that i wound't make comments

p.s funny isn't it,you read your own comment,and can't see the spelling mistakes

A New Way of Saying "Be careful what you wish for..."

Wow! Apart from being very well written, and almost like a poem, this story was from a very unusual angle. I dont think I have ever seen it looked at this way before. One can feel the regret mixed with joy that the abusing mother feels at the survival of the child despite what she ( and her sister) had done to him/her.

Very clever writing.

Briar

Briar

The mermaid sings .....

.... and both song and voice beguile the senses.

Dearest Randa, you do write so very well. The tale grips. The reader follows each sentence, hanging on to each word, hearing the anger and urgency.

Passions are stirred, moral stances taken, motives explored, theories propounded.

And all because you write so very well.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Fleurie

Fine work

There are a few authors here that I really look up to and am glad to see their work appear. You're one, and you've done it again.

Hugs,

Kaleigh Way

Mermaid sings...

Wow! Very well done. Yes, very well done.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

A challenge to the emotional orthodoxy- well played

I always enjoy 'turn conventional approaches on their heads' for story telling, and you have delivered it with skill and style.

Growing up is an imperfect process, and fortunately most of us survive it, dented and bruised but alive.

Parenting is harder, and is also an imperfect process. It however also leaves dents and bruises which are more lasting.

I find it commendable that you were able to cover both sides, even in the extreme and unlikely scenario portrayed. Take a well deserved bow.

Tyrone Slothrop

Glad to see ya back.

I used to love your stories.

Gwendolyn

12 YEARS LATER She'd been

12 YEARS LATER

She'd been living in the nursing home ever since she'd broken her hip falling down the stairs. She'd sold her house and liquidated all of her other possessions of value to give Gem right after her child had discovered his feminization. She hadn't been afraid of lawsuits, she had simply felt guilty for allowing her sister to talk her into the horrible plan. She'd been in a panic and at her wit's end and had sincerely had the best intentions, and Carol had been so persuasive with positive testimonials and circular logic. She knew that did not relieve her of her responsibility for the horrible things that she had let happen to her son and had been atoning ever since. After forwarding all her worldly goods to Jimmy/Jenny/Gem and moving into a one room apartment, she had volunteered all her time to helping abused children at various shelters. She hadn't heard from Gem in those dozen years, nor did she expect to, even if she prayed every night that her child was healthy and happy. Thus it was quite a surprise when the attendant delivered a large package to her. Inside was packet of what appeared to be photos and a sealed envelope and a letter. The letter was written in delicate but flowery cursive and was simply addressed:

Hi,Mom.

Although I still think that what you and Aunt Carol did to your son was morally reprehensible, I find I can no longer be mad at you. There are a few reasons for this. It turns out I'm not the kind of person who holds a grudge. I know I said I would never forgive you, but it just wastes too much of my karmic energy hating you. Besides, what's the point? Your actions were indefensible and you forced me into a life and body I never would have chosen, but the truth is I've come to love who I am and the life I have. Believe me, I think about this a lot and maybe, just maybe, bigger forces, like destiny, share some of the blame. Perhaps the main reason I'm contacting you now is because of John's dad. John is my husband and soul mate (more on that later) and his dad died recently. John did not have a great relationship with his father and his biggest regret is that they never resolved their issues and now it's too late. So I've decided to dangle the olive branch, but it's conditional.

First, let me fill you in on my life since you last saw me. I did decide to go to school. After having my epiphany of what had been done to me, I was determined to make something of myself. I went to school and studied hard and got a degree in behavioral psychology. I have a job at a hospital working with children, mostly, from troubled homes. At first I tried dressing boyishly but it didn't take. Maybe it was the programming, but I had a girl's body and an attractive one at that, and the friends I made at college were mostly female (the guys all wanted to hit on me and I was avidly asexual then) and over time I just surrendered to the desire to shop for pretty clothes and shoes. But my life had no meaning. I was always just hovering above despair and bitterness. I blamed everyone else for all my troubles and mostly I blamed you.

Then one day as I was walking home from the hospital, I heard a noise coming from a garbage can that sounded like a baby crying and went to investigate. He was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen even though I could see he was dying. I rushed back into the hospital screaming hysterically. A young doctor grabbed the baby and ran off to an operating room. 3 hours later the doctor found me pacing anxiously. The operation was a success and I could see the baby if I wanted. The little guy was crying when I walked into the room and then he saw me and smiled. At that moment I was in love. I was overwhelmed by maternal feelings (programming again?) and knew that if I might be given the chance that I would be a great mother for this child. After waiting on pins and needles for three months I was finally able to take little Jimmy home with me for good (that's right I gave him one of my names that I wasn't using). I used to cry a lot at night, but when Jimmy came into my life that all ended. Now I had a purpose. Now my life had meaning. Oh, and that doctor? The one who saved Jimmy's life?...well, we spent a lot of time together during the adoption process and sort of fell for each other. He didn't shy away when I told him my whole sordid 'freak' history. He assured my that the person he had fallen in love with was a kind, compassionate woman and the fact that I wasn't born that way (nor ever wanted to be) didn't matter. Anyway, we discovered we fit each other perfectly. I love being his wife. Why, I can't explain. I guess it could be all that brainwashing and chemicals, but I don't think so. I think he's my soul mate. Sometimes when we're just lying together I get the feeling that we've been together in many different lifetimes. Also, I've been to med-school and I know that hypnotizing and brainwashing don't really work unless you want them to (or with extreme breakdown techniques, like isolation and starvation, which you and Aunt Carol never used) and I firmly believe our gender preferences are decided at birth, and I decidedly like men, so maybe there was something about me from the beginning. I was an angry young misogynist. I hated all the girls in my school because they ignored me. Sometimes I even entertained columbine-like fantasies involving semi-automatics. I convinced myself that being male was better than being female. I was wreaking havoc and not caring who I hurt along the way. Drastic measures were certainly called for, I just think you guys chose the wrong drastic measures. Or maybe not. If you hadn't intervened I never would have gone to school, I never would have found Jimmy, I never would have met John. The old me would have preferred being a male prisoner serving a life sentence to being a much loved female psychologist, would have said 'at least I made the decision to be a loser' but now I'm not so sure.

Also I have to believe that when you were sucked into Carol's plan that you did not do it out of malice, but out of love, or at least fear of the beast your son was turning into; so that's points in your favor. And you've repented. I've kept track you over the years and I've seen the good work you've done at the shelters. So here is my offer. I will forgive you, but only if you come to live with John and me and all your grandchildren (yes we adopted more: a little girl named Jessica and then most recently twins, Ashley and Jason). There will be times when I'll be angry at you for your great sin (little emotional bursts that just bubble up, but they're brief and rare). The truth though is, like I said before, I love who I am. I love my pretty little body, I love that it pleases John and he likes to touch it. I love how Jimmy and Jessica look at me, I love cuddling with Ashley and Jason. I love my life, it is like a little jewel, a bright shining Gem and I wouldn't trade it for any other life, even if it meant I could be male again. That sealed envelope is a plane ticket. We've got a room already set up for you and the kids are looking forward to meeting you. See you soon?

Love Gem

(p.s. I also sent you a bundle of pictures so you know what we all look like).

She wiped the tears from her eyes for what must have been the hundredth time since she'd started reading the letter and studied the photos. "They're all so beautiful" she muttered looking at her grandchildren. And the photographs of the happy well adjusted lady with movie star good looks so comfortable with her handsome husband made her sigh, "What I did was wrong, and the ends don't justify the means, but my daughter turned out beautifully, all the same." And with that she started thinking about what she would take with her on the plane

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

*****
Randalyn, though I do like a good forced femme fiction from time to time, I also have always loved your Stark stories (I really liked your take on Fleurie's Grace). I wish more people would respond to stories like TSOJ w/ fictions of their own rather than moralizing criticisms in the comment section. I hope you don't mind that I added my two cents.
*****
I Tiresias, though blind, throbbing between two lives,
Old man with wrinkled female breasts, can see
At the violet hour, the evening hour that strives
Homeward, and brings the sailor home from sea
*****

You cared enough ...

... to give them a happy ending, which is nice, although my take on their futures (and eventual reconciliation) would be much different. And you've thrown a lot of junk in your Jimmy's mental trunk that wasn't there in mine (the misogynistic tendencies, the Columbine fantasies).

My sequel, if I do write one, will be very different. I hope that Gem finds her peace, and that she reconciles with her mom one day. But I don't think she'll ever say, "maybe you made the right call in doing what you did," or believe even a little that what her Mom and Carol did was right. I see forgiveness more than acceptance.

But that's just me. *grin*

Thank you for the praise (and the alternate future history) *smile, hugs*

Randalynn

Thank You

Thank you, Randa for posting once again an original, thoughtful, literate TG story. Daphne

Daphne

Tiresias take on Gem is Interesting

RAMI

I think Tiresias' look at what happened in the future was an interesting take on the story. For those who like happy endings, this was what we would be looking for. Peace, light, happiness and reconciliation.

However, I think that the more likely scenario would be Gem never really being comfortable in her new life and always having a hatred for his mom and aunt.

Randalynn, kind acceptance of this possible alternate ending, even if it is not what she would have created and may even be in conflict with what she will create in the future is great to see. Randalynn is so comfortable with her work that she is not threatened by what Tiresias did.

Congratulations to them both.

RAMI

RAMI

I'm so glad I found this tonight...

Andrea Lena's picture

...this is superb...Jenny may have to be a woman, but she's going to define herself...to be strong and positive and giving. And mom still is justifying herself...too bad she'll only realize what she's lost after it's too late. Very well written and captivating tale. Thank you!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

How did I manage to miss this one?

When it was first posted? I like your stories and this one was no exception, Randa. Powerful on a level that was both intensely emotional and thought provoking. The inherent beauty of your use of language to paint a vivid picture of betrayal, discovery, shock/rage, despair, and eventual redemption through Jimmy/Jenny/Gem's decision to live and become a self guided individual instead of simply ending things was more than a little profound, disturbing, and eventually uplifting in an odd sort of way.

I won't even attempt to add the to pro/con discussion this story initiated. Do I have my own cherished opinions/prejudices? Yes, everyone does. The point I'm trying to make here is that this story struck a chord in a wide range of people at this site and that should tell you that it was something very well done.

In closing, I think the mermaids sing to all of us at one time or another. If we're lucky, we listen to them and understand what they're singing to us.

Thank you.

Thank you!

I really do love this story, and I'm glad you found it. Some of the things we write call to us and make us happy that we can write, and tell stories that touch others the way they touch us. This story was one of those for me.

*hugs*

Randa

Another point of view...

I have read the comments and dialog posted with this story and while I find them all to have valid points of view and to be most interesting, I should like to point out that this kind of thing happens in reverse all the time. At age 6 I revealed in front of my father that I was really at girl and not a boy. For my honesty I was beaten and promised a quick death if I ever said it again. I was told not to even think such a thing again. That started a period of "making a man out of me.” That's forced masculinity training no matter how you slice it; and I learned my lesson well. By the time I was eight I was working in the woods with an axe and splitting firewood, taking care of my younger siblings and being the best man I could be. I even learned not to think about what I really was. It was childhood’s end for me. It was only many years later when I was in the Air Force and my first of three marriages when “she” inside me began to reassert herself. I was fifty-seven when she finally got to live full time in the open.
My step-mother is a very good person and would not knowingly abuse a child but even so, she was a co-conspirator in what was done to me; a willing participant who thought she loved me without reservation until she met Carol and then told me to never darken her life again. My father had disowned me twenty-two years earlier for other reasons and I don’t think he knows about Carol.
So yes, women do participate in this kind of abuse every day; most of them think they’re just molding their girls or boys into a form that will be acceptable to others. Little do they know the harm they harm they do.
Randalynn, thank you for giving victims a voice. I have learned to forgive what happened to me but it has been hard to do. Harder still is to know that my parents and siblings cannot love who I really am and that they believe that they can force me to “behave” by withholding their approval until I straighten up and behave as I am supposed to. The real shame is that they will never read your story and they will never understand why they’ll never see me again.
Carolnma

I Saw The New Comment Tonight

littlerocksilver's picture

So I decided to read the story. I'm not sure I read it when it was first posted, but it did seem familiar. Then I saw all the comments. There were far too many to read, so I won't read them. Of course I did.

Brainwashing is subtle. We don't even know it's happening. We go to organized faith enforcers and repeat the dogma over and over again. We are forced into roles without realizing it. We just accept because we are told to. We feel something is wrong; however, we are taught that we are the ones that are wrong. Wanting to be accepted has to be a very strong psychological force. We sublimate our true feelings to avoid conflict.

Some of us have the epiphany at some point. In some of us, the feeling is so strong that we can't avoid the reality of it. This pertains to sexuality, gender, religion, etc. The first two are innate. The third, unfortunately is skewed by society.

Chemical and surgical forced masculination/feminization is deplorable because it denies an individual the rights of self. Unfortunately, we are so ignorant that we resort to superstition rather than science. One of these days we may get it right. We are beginning to see special cases where things seem to be working out the way they should. There are very, very small Islands of enlightenment; however, worldwide, the prognosis is not good. As long as dogma is allowed to rule, mankind is doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Portia

Portia

a strong woman

"But if I'm going to have to be a woman, I'm going to be a strong one. No more sweet submissive dress-up doll. Aggressive? Hell, yeah! I won't be a bitch or a bully, but I won't shy away from a fight. I won't let anyone stop me from being who I want to be -- just as soon as I figure out what the hell that is."

The right attitude, in my opinion.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Randalynn, that was wonderful!

"Till Human Voices Wake Us". Wow. It was written in Early 2009, when I was still coming out of the fog, but now the story means so much more to me. My own life had similarities strong enough that the story dredged up old emotions. Isn't it odd how at least some of us are programmed to be what others expect us to be.

I am sure that I have probably told you that I was raised as a girl until about 5 years old. My shrink insists it was abuse, but I now remember it and I liked it, a lot! Years later, I found out that I am genetically intersexed, though not in a huge way. It was my stepfather who took my life away; made me into what he thought was a proper boy. I still remmeber him saying that I would be a boy or he would kill me and there were several times when I thought he would.

So, like in your story, I did not remember being a girl until, in my early 30's I wound up in a Christian Group for sexual assault survivors. Then it all began to come back a little at a time. The group leaders were um "inept" to be kind. They just though a few earnestly offered prayers would just wipe it all away. AS IF !.

I "manfully" struggled on through the years to finish raising my children, get them launched, and support the American nightmare of owning a home, 3 cars, 2.5 TVs, and an RV. After all isn't that what we were supposed to do?

It was a serious on the job injury that really turned the occasional rock fall into an avalanche. First came the pain pills, the hospital bed laying there in traction, then the depression caused by the pain and the pain pills, then the prescribed overdose of experimental medications to cure my depression. All it did was rob me of emotion, make me suggestible; a zombie. That lasted long enough to see me through a "coming out" that I was not willing to do. So, THAT part of my life was definitely Forced Fem.

Oddly, it has now been six years, just like in your story. Like Gem, the fog is clearing, but not suddenly like her but has been going on for a while. Stories like this are both poiniant and joyful. I wonder how she came out? Did she choose to live as a Woman? It is what I chose. I tried to go back in April of 2010 and came to my senses looking through a door to a balcony over an 8 story fall. It was be the Woman I am or jump. I chose to put my skirt back on and close the door.

I have met teen agers who have been through similar things ... of being castrated and fed massive doses of Estrogen when prepubescent, by doper parents. I recently found out that there are nearly 4 children in each state, that are kidnapped every month? What happens to them?

Much peace

Khadijah

reading the comments stirred up the muddy waters of my mind...

when i was young, i was different enough from the other youth my age. introverted, antisocial, awkward. a reader, a dreamer, not quite at home in my own skin. when i was 11, i found my father's stash of penthouse and playboy mags and saw the beauty of the human female. i wasn't aroused by it, i was enthralled by it, i was jealous of those women, because they were beautiful women.i began to cross dress, again, not for sexual gratification, but for the peace it provided me. until i was caught. at twelve, my parents, my protectors, instead of talking with me or trying to understand me, whisked me off to a psychiatrist. i spoke at length with the gent, but instead of asking me the most life altering question in safety and privacy, he brought my parents in...

this is when i was asked if i wanted to be a boy or a girl. i was terrified of my parents reaction, so i lied, said i wanted to be a boy and began living a lie that lasted 23 years. i had very few relationships with women because the intensity of my attention made them uncomfortable. i avoided the company of men, as they made me uncomfortable. throughout high school and my late teen years, i would have time losses, fugue states where i would lose all memory of what happened for periods of up to 8 hours at a time.

i still don't know what happened in the blanks. i did the masculine things to the extreme, armed forces, binge drinking. but still i shamefully cross dressed. in 1999 my mother passed, she had been the strong parent. but after she was gone, the lie started to break in my mind. i developed chronic depression and social anxiety, it was 2002 before my mind admitted to itself who i was. i started to be Diana, but 38 years of testosterone and physical neglect left me with a body that wouldn't be able to pass in an army drag show. so reenforcing the depression... i know who i am... but i may never be able to be who i am. parental abuse...no. brainwashing... yes, but by me, out of fear. My cowardice has deprived me of my self, but not my life... i will continue, like Gem. maybe someday i will overcome my fear of ridicule too. thank you Randalynn, for writing that makes us think, stirs the mind and still entertains us.
Diana

Thank you for reading ...

... and for commenting. To know that people are still reading stories I posted so long ago, and are still being affected by them so deeply ... it makes my day a little brighter.

Thanks, Diana. *hugs*

Randalynn

long time commenting

I have read this previously and the story it is based on and although its been a while since any other comment i decided to add my thoughts. It is refreshin to find a victim who does not end up forgiving those who wronged him accepting they were only doing what they felt was best. Many teens both boys and girls go through a phase when they drive their parents to despair. Only to once they mature become wonderfull individuals. I should know my son when he was 15 had us in tears at times but now is the loving farther of 3 children and is a totaly responsible adult. Tough love is one thing as long as nothing is broken that cant be fixed jimmy accept hhis present state because at the moment it is the best he can do. Should medical science offer a way to fully restore his manhood i think he would crasp it with both hands. Remember despite her regret mom never went to the aurthorities for help. If she had they all would have been punished. Maybe and hopefull jimmy will pursue his aunt and the doctor and make mak e thei life hell. I cannot agree with the commentator who added the happy ending if jimmy has to live the remainder of his days in a form not of his choosing then he will do it only because their is no other choice. Not matter what he did or might have done as a child there was no excuse for what was done to him and mom deserves to suffer

It's going to be a long time ...

... before Jimmy feels comfortable as Gem, but the fact that he dealt with his encounter with the mermaids with as much maturity as he did shows he wasn't nearly the terror his Mom thought he was way back when she did what she did.

In the end, sometimes acceptance is all we have in the face of whatever the world throws at us. At least Jimmy can move forward now instead of being trapped in a dead-end life. And having choices is always better than having none at all.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting!! *hugs*

Randa