Modern Masquerade Chapters 11 - 15

Printer-friendly version

masquerade.gif

 
 
Peter and Katie Marriott are returning to the UK after a lifetime abroad. The brother and sister are simply acting on their father’s directions. He has a plan, intending to join them a little later, but they have to fulfil certain obligations prior to his return.

Whilst at an airport hotel, the pair become entangled with a shady character who is intent on seizing the assets of a beautiful but somewhat scatty heiress, Letty Greyson. Using quick wits and dubious skills, they manage to rescue the girl and return her to the bosom of her family.

However, the attractive Katie and handsome Peter are not quite what they appear.........

 
 
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


Author's Introduction:
When considerably younger, I read and thoroughly enjoyed the many works of Georgette Heyer. A completely new and colourful world of Regency Romance opened up to me, and I found the whole range of books delightful in the extreme.

One book, The MASQUERADERS, was to become my favourite, dealing with issues with which I could readily identify. It had everything one could want in a book: - Wonderful characters, beautiful women, handsome heroes, nasty villains, duels by moonlight, deception, love and romance, highwaymen, heroic deeds and horse-back rides across open countryside. Good triumphed over evil, and true love prevailed.

It also had a hero who spent most of the book dressed as a beautiful woman, and a heroine who appeared as a man.

I have planned for a long time to modernise the story, using those wonderful characters that Georgette introduced to me then. Now I feel I am in a position to fulfil that ambition, and if this turns out half as good as the original, then I will be well pleased.

I make no apology for lifting the book from the eighteenth century and plonking it into the twenty-first. I am probably breaching all manner of copyright laws, but I state now that although the opening of the story is based on that great book, by the very nature of the world we find ourselves, my story will be different, save some of the names and the fact that it takes part in London. Anyone who has read the original work will be able to see where I am going to end up, but hopefully not the direction I intend to take to get there.

My thanks to those who helped me edit, but mainly my thanks to the late great Georgette Heyer for being such an inspiration.
 
 
Tanya Allan

 
Originally written in 2005, revised in 2008.
 
The Legal Stuff: Modern Masquerade  ©2005, 2008 Tanya Allan

This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright, in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Permission is granted for it to be copied and read by individuals, and for no other purpose. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited, and may only be posted to free sites with the express permission of the author.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
 
Chapter 11 - A Big Man Is Awake
 
 
Thursday saw the Marriotts back at work. Although ‘Katie’ had been told she didn’t need to go in, she had a couple of tasks to fulfil in relation to checking some data on the company records. Robert had told Rob precisely what he needed, and so there was no doubt as to what he was looking for.

It was remarkably easy; and related to some minutes of meetings with some executives from the Tech -American Group. He found what he wanted, copied what he needed and returned to his office. Sheena was waiting for him.

“Hi Katie, how are you?”

“Fine Sheena. I haven’t seen you for some time, are you okay?”

“Yeah, still looking for that special person,” she said with a smile.

“Well, that’s life. What can I do for you?”

“I heard you’re off to Paris with the big cheese.”

“Yeah, so?”

“I was wondering, if you’d like some company, I could meet you at your hotel?”

“That’s very sweet, but I don’t think it would work,” Rob said, trying not to be too harsh. Actually, Sheena was a very attractive girl, but Rob knew that his secret was just too tricky.

Sheena looked disappointed.

“How about a drink tonight, just to chat?” she said.

“Okay, just a chat, right?”

“Well, if things progress, you know how it is?” Sheena said with a small smile.

“Sheena, you’re very sweet, but actually I think I’ve found someone.”

“Lucky person. May I know if it’s a he or a she?”

Shit! How to get out of this one?

“It’s the opposite gender to me, does that help?” he said.

“He’s a lucky boy. Well, if you ever want to come over the fence, I’ll be here.”

“Thanks, I’ll bear it in mind.”

“Still okay for the drink after work?”

“Just a quickie.”

Sheena smiled and left him alone.

Relieved at his quick thinking, Rob went back to work, to try to calm himself down.
 

*          *          *

 
In the legal department, Pru was having a slack moment. The phone rang.

“Tremaine’s, legal department.”

“Peter, I have to see you.”

It was Tony.

“Where are you?”

“In my car, I’ll be in town in about an hour.”

“This sounds serious.”

“It is.”

“Is it a legal matter, I’m not a solicitor, yet.”

“No, it’s not legal, it’s more, I suppose one could say, a matter of the heart.”

“The heart? And you need to speak to me?”

“I do. I need your, ah, advice.”

“My advice. I’m flattered, but I’m hardly an expert in this field. What makes you think I can help?” Pru asked, suffering turmoil in her mind. He’d met someone else, and she was dying a little.

“I can’t drive and speak. I have to meet someone in about an hour, will you be free for lunch?”

“Yes, where?”

“Anywhere you like.”

“The Duke of York is quite good, do you know it?”

“Yes. I’ll be there at half twelve.”

Pru put the phone down, and noted she was shaking. Tears threatened to engulf her. She quickly went to the lavatory and shut herself in a cubicle.

She’d lost him!

The tears came, and she just let them, crying silently. If only she’d told him. Cursing her father, her brother, herself and the whole world, there she sat, a picture of dejection.

Somehow, she managed to regain composure. After about ten minutes, she waited for the lavatory to be clear, emerged and washed her face in cold water. Then she returned to her desk, engrossing herself in her work. She watched the clock, and time seemed to be made of treacle, all of a sudden, as that second hand seemed made of lead.

At a quarter past twelve, she got up and casually sauntered out to go to lunch. No one stopped her, and she found herself walking very fast towards the pub, which was about a five-minute walk from the building. On entering the pub, she noted it was filling up with the usual lunchtime regulars. She couldn’t see Tony, but she was a few minutes early. Going over to the bar she ordered a half pint of lager, and found a secluded table in a corner. She sat, toying with a beer mat, looking up expectantly every time someone entered the pub.

At about twenty-five to one, Tony arrived. Pru was surprised as he was in his scruffy old farmer’s gear, including green wellies. He stood in the doorway for a moment, scanning the crowd. Then he saw he, and with a brief nod and a smile, made his way over to her.

“Got a drink?” he said.

“Yes thanks.”

“Sorry I’m late, bloody lawyers.”

“Thanks,” she said, trying to smile.

“I’ll just get a drink. Have you ordered food?”

“I’m not hungry.”

He looked at her with a strange expression. Then he nodded and went to the bar. Pru sat there, feeling tormented, and thinking of all the ways she could tell him the truth. It seemed to take ages for him to return, but she realised it was only a couple of minutes.

Pretending to be calm and that nothing was wrong was hard, but Tony simply sat and said nothing for ages. He was frowning, and looked troubled. Pru’s heart went out to him, and she longed to reach out and hold his hand.

“So, what’s the problem?” she asked, forcing her voice to be businesslike.

“There’s this girl,” said Tony.

“And?”

“Well, it’s slightly complicated, but I’m not sure how she feels about me.”

“Ask her, it’s usually the best way, or so I’m told.”

“Hmm, I want to, but I think I’m more likely to complicate things if I do.”

A couple of office workers sat really close, the pub was becoming crowded, and Tony looked very uncomfortable.

“If you want, we could go for a walk. I can always catch a sandwich later,” suggested Pru.

Tony nodded and finished his pint in one long gulp. Pru finished hers and they left the pub and the noise behind.

It was a crisp sunny spring day, and both felt better outside. They strolled down the pavement towards the embankment.

“How do you think she’d react?” Pru asked.

“I’m not sure. I think I might scare her a little.”

“Why?”

Tony smiled.

“Because she’s a complicated soul, and I think I’m an extra complication that will cause her undue problems.”

Pru was quiet for a moment, her brain going into overdrive.

“Does she know what you feel about her?”

“No, at least I don’t think so. I’ve been careful not to let my feelings show too much. But it is quite hard.”

“Why?”

“Because I love her.”

They had reached the river. They stood, side by side, watching the boats moving up and down in front of them.

“Then I should tell her at the first opportunity,” Pru said, her heart breaking as she said the words.

“I shall. But I need to know the best way to do it.”

“I don’t think there’s a right way or wrong way to say it. You’ll make her day however you do it.”

Tony smiled, still staring across the river.

“Are you sure?”

She laughed.

“I’m sure. She’ll be the luckiest girl in the world.”

Tony looked sharply at her, watching her every expression.

“I don’t want to make an arse of myself,” he said, turning away again.

“Why should you?”

“Probably because I’d be sticking my nose into something I have no knowledge about.”

“What, love?”

“No, her complicated life.”

“How so?” she asked, looking at him, a glimmer of hope in her heart.

“Well, for some strange reason she’s pretending to be something she isn’t, and I just want her to know that I don’t care. How does one get through to someone deeply into a strange deception?”

At this point, he turned and looked at her, his eyes piercing her very soul. Pru’s heart rate increased and she felt slightly faint.

“What?” she stammered.

“Look, this can’t go on, I can’t take the pretence any more. You’re brilliant, but as I’ve come to get to know you, I am as sure as I can be what you really are. I just need to know why?”

Pru felt a rushing sensation in her ears, and as she wavered two strong arms reached out and steadied her. She looked up into his eyes, and saw the deep feeling he had been hiding from her.

“I can’t!” she said, fighting back the tears. A passing tourist saw two men almost embracing and hurried along as if he might become infected.

“Walk with me,” he said.

Both with hands rammed into their pockets, they walked slowly along the embankment.

“How did you guess?” she asked, her voice calm and now up to her usual pitch.

“It was a slow process. It started at the dinner. I actually saw the wine going down the sleeve. It’s a trick I learned ages ago and on its own would have meant nothing. Then, the following morning, your reaction to me puzzled me. I thought you might have been gay, but then my instincts kicked in. You really are very good you know?”

“Thanks, I’ve still failed,” she replied.

“May I know your real name?”

“You’ll laugh.”

“I won’t, I promise.”

“Prudence.”

Tony didn’t laugh, but he smiled, nodding.

“It is very fitting, somehow.”

“My friends call me Pru.”

“May I be a friend?”

“I don’t deserve your friendship.”

“You do. So, your sister, she obviously knows, who else?”

Pru smiled.

“My sister, my father and Theresa.”

Tony frowned.

“Your father wouldn’t be Robert Tremaine, by any chance?”

Pru stopped walking.

“Is there anything you don’t know?”

“Lots, but I am now confused. Tremaine is supposed to have had a son and a daughter. Not two girls.”

Pru said nothing. They started walking again.

“No! I don’t believe it, not Katie?”

She nodded, still saying nothing.

“I’ll be buggered!” said Tony.

“Not by me you won’t!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…., but Katie, a boy? I don’t believe it!”

“Believe it, he is so much better than I.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know the whole story, and in a way it’s sad that you have exposed me now, as we are so close to the end. Dad was framed for an embezzlement he never did. The men responsible know Dad has evidence that can harm them, so they’ve been trying to locate and kill him for years. We’ve had to use extreme measures to keep hidden, and these role reversals have been one of many ploys.”

“You can trust me, I’ll not betray you. Why should I? I want you to be my wife.”

Pru stopped walking again.

“What did you say?”

“Pru, I love you. I love your courage, I love your steely resolve and I love your loyalty. I want to take you away from this deception. It isn’t right. I want to carry you off to my farm, and allow you to blossom into the wonderful woman you should be.”

These words broke Pru’s steely resolve, and she broke into tears.

They came to a bench. They sat close, but still not touching. Pru’s control was still in place, just, and she wasn’t going to break with her discipline.

“How can you love me, I’m living a lie?”

“I don’t know. I just know I do. Once I’d guessed, I had to spend as much time with you as I could, but in the end, being with you and not being able to speak to you as I wanted, and not being able to touch you or kiss you. It was driving me mad, so I went back to the farm. I kept thinking about you all the time, and in the end, I knew I just had to come and force you to admit what you really are.”

Pru was silent, wanting to reach out and touch him, but so entrenched in her role, she couldn’t.

“Tell me, was the highwayman your talented brother?” Tony asked.

“You guessed?”

“No, I’ve only just worked it out. So he was the one who freed Letty from the kidnapper. My God, what a family!”

“Poor Rob, he’s still slightly screwed up by the role playing.”

“Ah, so it’s Rob. I was wondering what his real name was. I can imagine it does. He does a very good girl, I even fancied my chances, until I realised I loved another.”

“I feel such a fraud.”

“Why?”

“I so want to be the woman for you.”

“You are, on the inside.”

“Tony, you don’t need someone like me. There are so many respectable women who’d leap at the…”

He kissed her, interrupting her. In broad daylight, two supposed men kissing on the embankment of the Thames.

He stopped and she looked up at him.

“There, that wasn’t too bad, was it?”

She shook her head.

“Now. How do I find out what she feels about me?”

“Ask her.”

“How do you feel about me?”

“I love you with all my heart, all my soul and all my life.”

“Marry me?”

“Tony, I can’t, I have to…”

He kissed her again.

“Marry me?”

“Ton…..”

“Marry me?”

“Oh all right!”

He burst out laughing.

“Oh, with such grace. Thank you. Now, when can you give up this charade?”

“A week, not much longer.”

“I’ll hold you to that. Now, I’m starving, how about some lunch?”
 
 
Chapter 12 - A Quick Drink
 
 
Sheena was excited. Being an attractive girl was fine, but when one is attracted to other girls, and one’s parents are old fashioned, it is so very hard to live a double life.

She’d found Mark, a gay male friend, at a party about a year ago. Mark came from an equally repressed background, and had an awful time keeping himself in the closet. Naturally promiscuous and with a steady boyfriend, he was terrified of his bank manager father finding out.

She and Mark came to an understanding. To their respective parents, they pretended to be going out together. Initially this had worked brilliantly, but as time went on, pressure to get married started to be brought to bear. They lived totally separate lives, in different flats, using each other as alibis for meeting their real lovers. In order to ease the parental pressure, they’d started sharing a flat together.

This had proved a wonderful compromise, until Mark’s boyfriend, Andy, moved in with Mark. They all got on famously, and on those occasions that Sheena brought someone back, the atmosphere was great.

However, mothers started ‘dropping in’ and the evidence of boy on boy and girl on girl was quite clear, unless one took special trouble to eliminate such evidence.

Stress was the inevitable result, and Andy had given Mark an ultimatum — come out or he was history.

After nights of tears, he’d bitten the bullet and come out of his closet, telling his mother he was gay.

She was upset, but her first remark was, “Oh my God, have you told Sheena?”

He couldn’t tell her that Sheena was a lesbian, so he said he had and that it was all over between them.

He and Andy kept the flat, so Sheena looked for a small single bed place. Her own mother, devastated by the news, would spend time with Marks mother trying to see if it was curable. Still she retained her own secret, and it was becoming a heavy burden for her.

Her last relationship ended when she found Marcia cheating on her with a boy. She had resigned herself to a life of celibacy when she saw Katie.

The girl had brought some work to HR, as they were actively recruiting abroad and required multi language application forms. She’d first seen her on her first day, and every now and again she’d see her about the building. She approached her once, and made it plain she was interested.

To Sheena’s delight, Katie hadn’t dismissed her out of hand, as so many did. She said she wasn’t interested, but seemed to leave a door open. She’d bided her time, and after seeing the girl rebuff all the men in the office, she’d gritted her teeth and gone in to make her interest very plain indeed.

She came away disappointed, for Katie admitted she had a relationship with a man. However, she did accept her offer of a drink and a chat. Now Sheena was confused, as she believed she was getting mixed signals from Katie.

At a little after five she made her way to Katie’s office. She stood looking at the girl as she worked on her computer terminal. She was really beautiful. She had an air of power and strength that Sheena hadn’t seen before, and she felt herself tingle with excitement at the possibility of becoming close with her.

Katie turned and saw her watching, waving her into the office. Katie’s cubicle was quite small, or snug, and she sat close to the girl as she finished up. She could smell her fragrance, becoming almost heady with lust.

Katie finished up, closed down the computer, and put away her papers.

“Ready?” she asked.

“Just a bit,” Sheena replied with a smile.

Katie stood up, took her jacket off the hanger and put it on. Then she took her bag from the small cupboard and slung the strap over her shoulder.

“Let’s go. Just a quick drink, okay?”

The girls left the building, saying goodnight to the security staff on the door.

“Where are we going?” ‘Katie’ asked.

“Scene or non-scene?”

“What?”

“Do you want to go to a scene or a non-scene place?”

The penny dropped. Sheena wanted to know if he wanted to go to a gay bar.

He smiled, as this could prove interesting.

“I’ll try anything once, how about scene?”

Sheena’s grin increased.

“Okay, are you sure?”

“Yeah, but, just a quickie.”

Sheena had her car, as she lived in a flat overlooking Victoria Park in the East End. It was a fifteen-minute drive, through the traffic, to a small pub off the Whitechapel Road.

As soon as they entered, Rob realised that he was the only male in the place. This was as scene as they come, and after a brief glance, most women who looked at him, glanced away, satisfied she was one of them. Two or three remained staring, hoping, no doubt, he’d return the stare and this could lead to other things.

Rob played it cool, and met no one’s eyes as he and Sheena approached the bar.

“What would you like?”

“A half lager shandy, thanks.”

Sheena bought the drinks and they found a table in a small booth.

“What do you think?”

“I’d hate to be a bloke and just walk in off the street.”

Sheena laughed and moved closer.

“I’m so pleased you came.”

“That’s okay. I may not be in the market, but I’m open minded.”

“This person you’ve found, is he nice?”

“I think so,” Rob said, taking a sip from his drink.

“Have you ever been with a girl?”

Rob spluttered his drink.

“Yes, yes I have,” he answered, quite honestly.

“So, is it really better with a man?”

“Have you been with a man?” he asked, changing the subject.

“Sort of. I was abused by my father’s business partner when I was fifteen. I know that’s not really counted, but it sort of spoiled things for me.”

“Shit! That’s awful, did you tell anyone?”

“I told my mum, but she thought I was making it up. She saw the blood and then believed me. She told Dad who pretended it never happened. I ran away and told the police. It made a right stink, as he was married and had children. I was made to feel so bad about it all. I refused to go to court in the end.”

Rob took her hand.

“I’m so sorry. It must have been awful for you.”

“I left home as soon as I could. He’s still working with Daddy and grins at me every time he sees me, the bastard!”

They continued to chat, and one drink led to two and then four.

Rob found himself on the small dance floor, holding Sheena in his arms. They started kissing, and his sticking plaster started to pull.

Shit! How the fuck did this happen? He thought to himself.

It was eight o’clock, and he knew he had to get out before things got too hot.

He broke away from her. It was surreal, all these women, and no men. Women kissing and fondling each other, openly and without any inhibitions.

“I have to go!”

“Must you?”

“Yes. I have a million and one things to do before tomorrow.”

“Can we do this again?” she asked, putting one hand round the back of his neck.

“I don’t think it would be a good idea.”

They returned to the table and collected their coats and bags. Sheena accompanied Rob outside. They stood close together. Rob found her very attractive and he was aroused.

“Look, Sheena, I feel sort of guilty about this. I do find you attractive, but to be honest, my life is so complicated just now; this is one complication I can’t cope with. I also need to sort myself out. It’s nothing you’ve done, but I need to know which side of the fence I am.”

He wanted to tell her the truth, but knew that was impossible.

“I promise I won’t have any expectations,” Sheena said. She desired Katie so much, and she was willing make any compromise if the girl would be willing to go to bed with her.

“It’s not a matter of expectations. It’s a matter of truth and integrity. As I said, if we went to bed, or even started a relationship, it is doomed before we start, so unless things change, I have to stop here. I appreciate that this is difficult for you, but it has to be. I promise, that if I find myself on your side of the fence, I will come to your door.”

Sheena had tears in her eyes, and Rob felt so bad.

“I did say a quick drink, I thought this might happen.”

“Why did you come, then?”

“I’m not sure, and that’s the truth. Sheena, I’m as screwed up as you are, if not more so. Don’t hate me, please?”

“I don’t. I think I’m falling in love with you.”

Rob found tears in his own eyes.

He kissed the girl.

“This has to be, I’m sorry.”

He turned and walked away, leaving her standing on the steps of the pub.

He hailed a cab and sat watching the rain as it started to put a real damper on the evening. The streetlights made weird shaped on the glass of the taxi, and Rob found himself even more confused than ever. He had wanted her, as a man wants a woman, and yet, he wanted her to want him as two women.

He thought of Letty. The guilt and confusion threatened to overwhelm him.

“What am I?” he asked himself.

“Sorry love?” said the cabbie, and Rob realised he had vocalised out loud.

“Nothing, sorry.”

“What am I?” he repeated, silently this time.

“I’m a man.”

“You don’t look like one!”

“This is pretend. I’m a man.”

“You don’t think like one.”

“I do.”

“You act, sound and live like a girl.”

“That’s all pretend.”

“Who are you trying to kid?”

“No one. I want to be me.”

“Who are you?”

“I don’t know anymore.”

“Who do you want to be?”

Rob thought long and hard.

“I don’t care, I just want to stop pretending.”

“The operation is easy these days.”

“I’d still be pretending.”

“No one would know. You’re attractive enough.”

“I’d know.”

“Who do you want to be?”

“Me!”

The cab pulled up outside Elm Park Gardens. Rob paid the fare and walked up the steps. The others were having dinner. He noted that Pru was dressed as herself again.

“Are you joining us?” his father asked.

“I’m not hungry,” he said and started going up stairs.

After a few moments Pru followed him, finding him face down on his bed, crying.

“Oh Rob, it’s okay, sweetie, it really is okay!”

“What the fuck am I, Pru?”

“You’re my baby brother, and I love you.”

They held each other for a long time. Eventually Rob went for a shower, removed everything that was Katie and slipped into bed stark naked.

Pru went down stairs and sought her father.

“This stops now!” she said.

“Soon.”

“No, Daddy, now! That boy is at the end of the road. Do you realise what he’s been through?”

“I can imagine.”

“No, you can’t. We had a conversation very like this back when that big Australian tried to rape him. You had no idea then and you still have no idea what he’s going through.

“That boy doesn’t know his arse from his elbow. He doesn’t know if he’s a boy or a girl, straight or gay. He is so fucked up by your bloody plans and intrigues that he hasn’t a fucking clue as to what planet he’s on. It has to end tonight.”

“That’s impossible, I promise no longer than next week end.”

“He might not last that long. On your head be it.”

She turned and walked out, leaving his sitting there, alone.
 
 
Chapter 13 - Paris in the Spring, Caught in the Act
 
 
“Captain Bosworth and his crew thank you for flying British Airways. We look forward to welcoming you on board a British Airways flight again soon, and hope you have a pleasant time here in Paris. Please remain seated with your seat belts fastened until the aircraft has stopped moving.”

As soon as the Airbus stopped, Rob unfastened his seat belt and stowed the magazine in the pocket provided. He had never flown First Class before, and had enjoyed it immensely. Club and business class, yes, but never first, the space and service had been wonderful. Dressed as the high-flying female executive she purported to be, ‘Katie’ was immaculate in a dark Kashmir woollen skirt and top, with silk blouse. With perfect makeup, nails and hair, he was the object of attention from every male he passed.

Michael Hatton liked having a very attractive girl in his company. To all onlookers, she appeared to be either his mistress or his daughter. He didn’t actually mind which they thought she was, as he was just pleased to be seen with someone as striking as she.

She was good company, capable of holding a solid conversation, and with sensible views, reasonably expressed. He was impressed with her grasp of international affairs, and she possessed a good deal of knowledge pertaining to other cultures and nationalities of which he was ignorant. She was polite and respectful, but not supercilious and subservient. She was destined to go far, so he relaxed in her company.

The cab ride from the airport passed many landmarks. Mike noted that Katie didn’t look that interested in any of them.

“Been here before?”

“I lived here for a few years.”

“Really?”

“I adore it, but for the people and ambience, not the tourist traps.”

“Ah. I have to confess, I’ve only been here on business, so really have never had time to actually get out and see the sights.”

“There are some cafés that you just have to see. The problem is that businessmen are too highly charged to appreciate the laidback lifestyle.”

“Are you saying it’s good to be laidback?”

“There’s laidback and laidback. Take you, for example. You’ve been a hard worker for what, thirty years, plus? Where has it got you? Are you happy? Do you not yearn to just stop the world and get off, lounge around in whatever clothes are available, and pass the time of day with like-minded people who don’t care what the stock market is doing?”

Mike smiled. Actually, quite recently, he had asked himself what all his life was in aid of.

“You’re married, right?” she asked.

“I am.”

“Children?”

“Three, grown up now.”

“Do you get on with them?”

“I suppose so, why?” he asked, frowning.

“Wouldn’t you like to walk barefoot along a beach with your children, with no agenda, no pressure and no time constraints?”

The concept suddenly sounded very appealing.

“I suppose so.”

“Then that’s the atmosphere the cafés in Paris offer you.”

He nodded appreciating the idea, but realising the practice was not going to be his to make. She smiled.

“You’re missing out,” she said.

“Then if we have time, you could take me to a café.”

“I’d like to.”

They arrived at the hotel, and had rooms on the same floor. It was a luxurious hotel, and Rob closed the door of his room, grinning with unmitigated pleasure. It was noon, but there was an initial meeting at two thirty. He had time for a soak in that wonderful bath, and then he’d be ready for the fray.

He was feeling a whole lot better after his time with his sister on the previous evening. He recognised that going with Sheena was a silly mistake. He felt more sure of himself, as his father had taken him aside as he was leaving this morning. Dressed as Katie, he was ready for his Paris trip.

“Rob, if you want to stop, then you must stop now.”

“Dad, I can do this.”

“I know you can, but you no longer have to.”

“I do, Dad. I need to prove to myself that I can finish it, put away Katie and start being who I should be.”

“I told you, you must be who you feel you are.”

“Dad, I need to find that out for myself. I will finish this.”

His Dad had given him a hug, and he’d left, still as Katie.
 

*          *          *

 
Meanwhile, back at Tremaine Tower, ‘Peter Marriott’ was in the Archives. Searching through accounts material from nearly thirty years ago, Pru was looking for anything relating to Ryan Grover. She didn’t hear the door open, so never saw the man who hit her on the head.

A short time later, Tony Fanshaw was walking towards Tremaine Tower. He felt so much better now that there were no secrets between them any more. He felt such a fool, for although he had been about as certain as he could be that ‘Peter’ was a girl, her sheer confidence and audacity made him doubt even his own senses. For a while he wondered whether he was turning gay, as the attraction was so strong, but as he began to see through her deception he became more and more convinced she was indeed a woman. He had declared his feelings and found, to his delight, that his love was returned, and now he found the whole scenario rather exciting.

He planned to take his friend, ‘Peter’ out for lunch, and as he was a little early he decided to walk the block to pass the time. As he walked down the side of the building, he glanced down into the underground garage/car park. He couldn’t see much, but he saw a glimpse of two men placing an inert figure of another into the boot of a car.

He couldn’t see any faces, but all his instinct told him that Pru was in trouble. What could he do?

His car was a good distance away, so he couldn’t hope to get back and attempt to follow. He watched, horror struck, as one man stayed with the car, and another headed back to the elevator. He made a decision, he had no time to do anything else, so he calmly walked down the ramp into the car park.

Gavin Newman was a driver. He did little else, but he was a very good driver. He’d started out driving for a team of robbers, but found himself in Brixton Prison for three years for his part in an armed robbery. The detective inspector, Ryan Grover, offered him a deal. Pass information on robbers and even if he was involved, he’d get him off.

It worked, so Gavin still drove for the jobs, and worked as an informant. He actually made a bit of money, of which he paid thirty percent to Grover. It didn’t last, as Grover was caught taking back-handers from all manner of people. However, men like Grover are very useful, and he was never out of work for long. In turn he needed a driver who didn’t ask questions, so he offered Gavin a chance to turn respectable, almost.

Ryan had told him to get the car ready at the upper level of the underground car park, by the freight elevator. He complied.

Ryan told him to help put the unconscious man in the boot. He complied.

Ryan then told him to wait while he contacted the boss. He was complying.

He sat in the car, behind the wheel, listening to Capital Radio. He heard the footsteps before he saw anyone. He looked up, and frowned as he saw a strange man approach. He was a big man, looking like he meant business. Gavin wasn’t a fighter, as he only drove cars. Being five eight, and no more than ten stone, six foot five of angry ex-army officer was too much even for Gavin.

He tried to start the car.

The driver’s door was almost wrenched off its hinges. Gavin felt two large and very strong hands grab him, and the next thing he knew, he was face down on the concrete with consciousness ebbing away. He never even saw Tony’s face.

Tony opened the boot with the ignition key, looked down at the inert figure of the girl he loved, and became even angrier. On checking her pulse, he found it strong. He knew he couldn’t carry her all the way to his car without attracting attention, so he closed the boot, and jumped into the drivers seat, moving the seat back all the way.

He started the car, and drove it slowly out of the car park, turning left towards where is own car was parked a few streets away. He then changed his mind, contemplating driving all the way back to his farm. He knew the men wouldn’t report the car stolen without giving their game away. He drove straight past his car, heading west towards the M40.

Ryan was reporting to Mike on the phone. Unfortunately, Mike was in Paris, so wasn’t able to speak much. He was just having lunch with an attractive interpreter from the company, and so he was limited to grunting and monosyllabic answers.

“I’ve caught a snooper in archives.”

“Yes?”

“He’s a new bloke, works in the legal department. Name of Marriott, Peter Marriott.”

Mike looked over the menu at Katie Marriott.

“Excuse me my dear, business calls,” he said and stood up, leaving her at the table.

“Go on.”

“I’ve laid him out cold, and he’s in the boot of the Merc. What do you want done with him?”

“Are you sure of what he is?”

“Why else would he be in archives looking at the 1970s accounts?”

“Hmm, have you checked with his department head?”

“Yes, and he’s supposed to be looking over a contract for our transport boys.”

“Shit. Is he Tremaine’s kid?”

“No. I’ve checked his prints, and he’s not.”

“So what the hell is he? I’ve his sister here in Paris, she’s a lovely girl, and very good at what she does. Could he just have been doing a favour for someone?”

“I don’t know. I’ll need to ask him.”

“Okay, take him to the usual place. Don’t hurt him, not yet. Just get him to tell us everything he knows. I’ll work on the sister. Maybe she’s in on it too.”

Tony couldn’t keep driving knowing she was in the boot. He pulled over, still within the West End. He went to the boot and looked in. She was coming round. He looked up and down the road, and lifted her bodily out of the boot and carried her to the front passenger seat.

She opened her eyes.

“Ow!” she said, rubbing the back of her headwith her hand.

“Bloody hell, that fucking hurts.”

She blinked a couple of times, took in Tony, and looked about her.

“Okay, what the hell happened?” she asked.

Tony told her what he’d seen and done.

“So, what were you up to, to bring this onto yourself?” he asked.

“Dad wanted me to look for something in archives.”

“So, the boss has probably been told, what are we going to do now?”

“Rob, we have to warn Rob.”

“We can’t just call, Hatton will be suspicious. We have to assume that the men who have now lost you have told him. Katie is supposed to be your sister, so Hatton will assume you are in it together. We could call the police?”

“We’ll do better than that, we’ll go there and help him. Hatton won’t do anything until he gets back to the UK, so he’ll play it careful. If we go to Paris, we could walk in and walk out with Rob.”

“You people just don’t live normal lives like the rest of us, do you?”

Pru grinned.

“Take me to Elm Park Gardens. It’s time that Miss Tremaine was allowed out of her box again.”

Robert Tremaine was on the telephone when Pru and Tony arrived. It became evident that Tony knew their secret, and was the latest recruit in the Tremaine cause.

Pru left Tony downstairs with her father.

Tony was obviously still angry at what had happened and held the older Tremaine responsible for endangering the woman he loved. He stood somewhat stiffly, glaring at the older man.

“I don’t suppose it would do any good if I attempted to explain?”

“Sir, you have allowed your daughter to flirt with danger once too often. She could have been killed!”

“She wasn’t, and if you hadn’t interfered, the undercover officers who were watching the whole thing would have arrested those responsible and tied it all into the man I’m after.”

Tony blinked a couple of times.

“Do you think for one minute that I’d let Pru undertake such a task without taking as much care of her as I could?”

“Well…”

“For your information, the serious Fraud office and the Metropolitan Police are actively investigating Mr Hatton, several senior officers of the company and one Ryan Grover, whom you have neatly got off the hook.”

“Daddy, stop being a pompous ass. Tony did what he thought was right, which is more than can be said for you half the time.”

Both men turned and stared at Pru.

She had stripped away all vestiges of Peter Marriott. Wearing a bright red dress, with white piping on the sleeves and hem, sheer stockings and high heels, she looked majestic. With her makeup, earrings and other jewellery, she simply took Tony’s breath away. Her short hair somehow suited her, particularly the way she had styled it, and he knew in his heart that there could never be anyone else for him. Of Peter Marriott, there was absolutely no sign at all.

“Prudence, dear, I was just…”

“Daddy, Tony and I are engaged, regardless of your views on the subject. I’ve had enough of being dictated to, and fully intend to be a full partner, rather than just an ‘operative’ of this family. Now, what shall we do about Rob?”

Tony wasn’t sure what he expected, but he was more than pleasantly surprised at how feminine Pru turned out. He thought she was wonderful before seeing her like this. Now, his heart sang.

“You scrub up pretty well,” he said, and received a box around the ears.

“All right you two, enough. We must work out how we finish things,” Tony held his hand out to Pru who took it, standing as close as she could to him. They both looked at Robert.

“Okay, Daddy, let’s hear it.”
 

*          *          *

 
Mike received a second, and very worrying call from Ryan.

“He’s been sprung!”

“What?”

“He’s done a bunk. We had him in the boot of the car, I left Gavin while I called you, and some big bastard laid out Gavin and nicked the car.”

Mike apologised to Katie again, and walked out of the restaurant to a secluded spot.

“You mean the car’s been stolen with a body in the boot?”

“That’s what it looks like. Only he’s not a body, yet.”

“You fucking idiot. Can’t you do anything right?”

“There’s another problem.”

“Oh, bring them on, the more the merrier.”

“I’ve just been speaking to Reg Clarkeson in accounts, he says that some of our accounts have been frozen.”

“What do you mean, frozen?”

“We can’t use them, no money in, no money out.”

“Call the banks, it’s probably a computer thing.”

“He says he tried that, and was told it was technical. But, he checked with Infratronics, just down the road, they use the same bank, and they have no problems.”

Mike looked at his watch. He had a meeting in less than half an hour in this very hotel. It was an important meeting, and one he could not afford to miss. He looked at Katie Marriott, sitting poised and elegant at the table, as she finished an excellent meal. Mike didn’t want to think she was involved, as she seemed too nice.

“Find the car, find Marriott, find out what his game is, and if necessary change banks. I’m switching this bloody phone off, and won’t be available until five o’clock.”

He turned the phone off, returning to the table.

“Sorry about that, my dear. Such are the trials of high office.”

Rob was astute enough to realise that trouble was occurring. He also knew that his father was probably the instigator. It was possible that Pru was in trouble, which meant he could be in danger. Mike was charm itself, and slightly more oily and greasy than he had been before the first call.

Nevertheless, the man gave no hint he suspected anything was amiss. Indeed, they went into the meeting as if nothing was wrong. ‘Katie’ was kept very busy, as there were representatives from four language groups, so Mike had her translating all four in rotation.

The hours sped past, and as the meeting broke up, Rob realised that it was now almost half past five.

Mike was pleased. The meeting had gone very much better than he had anticipated. He was really pleased with Katie, as she had managed to keep ahead of the game, and even surprised the delegates with her linguistic skills. She kept a cool head and didn’t become flustered even when discussions became heated. Such was her calmness that gradually the speakers took their cues from her, and only continued when she had finished interpreting.

The more he saw her in action, the more he became convinced that her brother was operating alone, and probably had no real idea what he was doing or what he was after. The question was simple, for whom was he working?

He proposed to see if Katie knew the answer. It had to be done subtly, and over dinner in the hotel.

“Katie, you did remarkably well, today. Thank you.”

“Thank you, sir, I try.”

“You will join me for dinner, won’t you?”

“I’d love to, thanks. What time?”

“Eight?”

“Super, it’ll give me another opportunity to try the spa-bath.”

Rob returned to his room, where he attempted to call his sister. Her mobile was switched off, and was diverted to answer phone. He thought about calling his father and decided not to. His father always had the attitude that problems were for solving, not sharing.

Rob ran the bath, and after making sure the door was once again secure, he had a luxurious soak, shaving his legs, arms and anywhere else that needed it.

He was early down to the bar, dressed in a little black number he’d bought in Italy a few months previously. With shapely legs, sexy high heels and a gorgeous figure, he was conscious of the frankly appraising stares of most of the men in the bar as he entered.

He walked over to the bar. A tall, elegant woman in a bright red dress was perched with her back to him on a bar stool, her long legs as shapely and slightly longer than his. Her broad American accent marked her origins, but her escort was very tall and was dressed in a check shirt and tan trousers. Rob assumed him to be American also.

“Honey, can we go see the loov tomorrow?” the woman asked, but Rob was staring at the man. It was Tony, but Tony was looking through him as if he didn’t recognise him.

Then the woman turned round. Rob nearly fainted, for it was his own sister in all her glory and then some.

“Hi, or should I say bonjoor. Are you French?”

“No, I’m English, my name’s Katie Marriott,” Rob said, looking puzzled.

“Hi Katie, my name’s Marianne McCulloch, and this here is ma husband Tony. This is our first time here in gay Paree. We were going to London first, but there were all kinds of problems there,” Pru said emphasising the last five words.

It was at that moment that Mike turned up, looking very smart in a dark suit and tie.

“Is this your husband, honey?” said the outrageous Pru.

“No, this is my employer, Michael Hatton. This is, I’m sorry, Marianne, I’ve forgotten your surname.”

“McCulloch, honey. It’s Scotch.”

“That’s Scottish, dear. Scotch is a drink,” said Tony with a dry but definite New England accent. Rob was impressed, and smiled in spite of his confusion.

Mike was anxious to distance himself from the brash and ignorant Americans. He suggested to ‘Katie’ that they go to their table.

“Yes, I’d love to. Would you mind if I powdered my nose first?”

“What? Oh, no, not at all,” said Mike, slightly embarrassed.

‘Katie’ headed for the ladies, followed a little while later by the big American woman.

They had the lavatory to themselves.

“What the hell is going on?” Rob asked.

Pru told him.

“Tony knew? You found out yesterday and said nothing? Shit, Pru, you’re slipping.”

“No, I’m getting out. As soon as this one’s over, I’m going to move in with Tony. We’re getting married.”

Rob stared at her.

“Good for you. It’s about time, and I approve, he’s a cracking bloke.”

“I know. What about you, little brother, which way are you going to go?”

Rob shook his head.

“I honestly don’t know. I think I love Letty, but I also love being a girl. I’m screwed up!”

“You need to lose Katie for a while. Learn to be Rob again, then make your choice.”

Rob changed the subject.

“So, what can we do about Hatton? I do know he’s seriously worried about something, and I think it’s more than just Peter Marriott.”

“Look, we’re here now, we’ll back off a little and let Hatton start to see what you know. You ought to know that Daddy did a deal with the powers that be, and there is a full scale investigation into Tremaine Industries.”

“So, it all comes to a head?”

“Yup, then we can go back to being normal, kid.”

“Pru, what the hell is normal?”

“That, my dear brother, is what you can have fun finding out.”

‘Katie’ returned first, and accompanied Mike into the restaurant. Pru returned to Tony and they sat in the bar, keeping a casual eye on Rob.
 

*          *          *

 
“I’m a little concerned,” said Mike, as he looked at the menu.

“Oh?”

“Yes, it appears that your brother has been accessing files that don’t concern him.”

“Peter?”

“Yes. One of the security men found him in the archives. Would you know if he has a hidden agenda?”

“I don’t think so. I know he told me that he got a call from an ex-employee who wondered about ex-gratia payments for those injured before the 1987 Industrial Accident Regulations. He told the man to see a solicitor, but he said he couldn’t afford one. I think Pete is a bit of a soft touch for a sob story, so I think he could have been looking into that.”

Mike Hatton felt a degree of relief, as it all made perfect sense. Anyone could pretend to be an ex-employee, and by calling the legal department, the clerk would feel legally bound to check out the claim, before notifying management. Robert Tremaine could have instigated such a search, and the searchee would have no idea they were being used.

He experienced the lifting of a cloud from his mind, but there were still other clouds to annoy him.

Now he had a problem with Ryan’s hasty actions. Where was Peter now, and was it likely he’d sue? What a mess.

As for the frozen accounts, what was that all about? Was there a Trojan attack on the account or was it more sinister, were they the target of an investigation?

He wouldn’t be able to find out until Monday. By which time he would be flying back.

“You seem distracted,” said ‘Katie’, as the waiter finished taking their order.

“I’m sorry, there are several things happening that are worrying me. Not least the board meeting next Thursday.”

“Oh, that’s a big one is it?”

“Yes, one of the most important for a long time. It could decide the future of Tremaine Industries.”

“Sounds ominous.”

“It’s not meant to. In a changing world, the larger corporations and multi-nationals are best suited to survive, so it seems logical that we must look to amalgamate with a multi-national to give us the boost in the world market.”

“It’s different when one looks at companies as being started and run by a single family. With big corporations taking over, the people on the ground seem less important. Priorities seem to focus on the turnover and the shareholder, rather than the worker and the families they are trying to support,” she said.

“That’s a slightly naíve view, in this day and age. For we have seen that strength comes with the security of a big company.”

“Not necessarily. For with every buy-out there are casualties. I mean, when Morrisons bought out Safeways, they had no interest in perpetuating an effective HR system, so all the HR staff, from management down were out on their ear. The systems that had taken years to develop and put in place were scrubbed instantly. Morrisons HR handling was barbaric, but effective. So many were left scrabbling back in the job market place after having had their secure jobs removed.”

“That’s progress, my dear.”

“No, its called profit for shareholders and bonuses for management. There seems to be no honour, respect or decency left. It’s dog eat dog, and to hell with the little guy.”

Mike stared at this very attractive girl. Her views weren’t the ignorant ideas of an idealist, she had sound views based on real facts, and it perturbed him slightly that the system was that transparent.

Wisely, he changed the subject, and they spoke of lighter matters. She was very worldly and well travelled, and he enjoyed her descriptions of the lady-boys of Thailand.

“Seriously, you can’t tell they aren’t girls. I suppose the only effective way is to inspect their nether regions, but there are many travellers and sailors who didn’t find out until the last possible moment, and hey, any port in a storm.”

“I find it hard to believe that males can disguise their masculinity as effectively as that. Even with breast implants and hormones, there will always be traits they can’t hide,” Michael said.

“Really? Like what?”

“Hands, for one. Take your hands,” he said, looking at her slender hands with beautifully manicured and varnished nails. “They are so different to mine.”

“But if I’d been taking hormones for years, wouldn’t they look feminine?”

“Probably not. They’d be bigger. Like your size, and strength; a male is just naturally bigger, and no amount of hormones would alter that. I find it had to accept that males can ever successfully pretend to be female.”

Katie had a strange smile on her face.

“The other thing you have to realise is that the Thais and other oriental people groups have smaller frames to Caucasians and African peoples. The different structure of the male and female skeleton is less marked than ours, so it is easier to create an impression of being female,” she said.

“Well, maybe, but I think I’d always know one when I saw one.”

Katie smiled and nodded.

“Yup, I think you probably could,” she said.

“I mean, Looking around here, the only one which could possible be a male would be that bloody American woman, and that’s only because of her size. But with those boobs and her general shape, one can see she’s a genetic female.”

“So, I couldn’t be a transvestite, then?” she said, teasing him.

Mike laughed.

“You? Oh dear me, no. There are several good reasons why you could never be mistaken for a man in drag.”

“They are?”

“Look around you. Every male in the place wants to take you to bed, apart from the fact that you ooze sex appeal, you are just far to feminine.”

Katie smiled, but refrained from saying anything else, as the waiter brought their wine.

The meal was very good, helped by ‘Katie’s’ excellent French. Mike noted with relief that the noisy Americans came in later and were seated a long way from their table.

After the meal, Mike excused himself, returning to his room to make some phone calls.

Rob found Pru and Tony in the bar.

“Hi guys, how’s it going?”

“Dad called. The police have found the car and picked up a man called Ryan Grover and the driver Tony hit. As Peter Marriott has ‘gone missing’ the police are treating it as a potential murder enquiry. The driver has already told the police about the body in the boot business and then the car being stolen. Mr Grover is in deep brown stuff.”

“Has Dad told them the truth?”

“Does Daddy ever tell anyone the whole truth?”

“No.”

“Well then, what do you expect?” asked Pru.

“I don’t know, I wish I knew what was on his mind.”

“Is there anything coming up that he’s got plans for?” asked Tony.

“Not that I know….wait, yes, Mike was mentioning something about a boardmeeting on Thursday. It seems there may be a takeover bid forthcoming, and judging by what he was saying, the management are in favour.”

“Don’t the board of shareholders have to agree?”

A light came on for both Pru and Rob.

“The meeting, Dad must have been buying up loads of shares to attempt a coup at the meeting.”

“Isn’t there a rule about how many can be owned by a single individual?”

“Probably, but that’s where we come in. I’d bet anything, we are the major share holders, and he will just have enough to get him access to the meeting.”

“Now all we have to worry about is Mike,” said Rob.

“Nah, he’s history.”

“He could still go down fighting.”

“He can try, but look at who he’s facing,” said Tony with a grin.

“That’s true. Look, shall we go out to a night club?” suggested Rob.

Tony looked at Pru, and the latter had a smile on her face.

“No, I think Mr McCulloch is gonna have to take Mrs McCulloch to bed,” she said, in her best (or worst) American drawl.

Rob smiled, but Tony smiled even more.

“Goodnight Katie, see you in the morning,” said Pru.

In his room down the hall, Mike Hatton was a very worried man. Ryan’s numbers were simply unobtainable, and he started to sweat.
 
 
Chapter 14 - It All Comes Together
 
 
Pru was in seventh heaven. Tony was as steady and strong in bed as he was on dry land, so to speak. She’d had a few brief and unsatisfactory sexual encounters in her life. Mostly because her father managed to scare off any potential bed-mate before it ever reached that stage. Unlike Rob, she’d spent more time as her own gender than he had. She was in no doubt as to her correct gender and sexuality.

It had been like coming home, for both of them.

They’d both been nervous, as neither were experienced in sexual matters. Tony had lost his virginity at eighteen to a mother of a friend from school. Although the experience had taught him a good deal, it also scared him a little. He had been a big and good-looking lad, and girls would all but throw themselves at him. He found the girls he was attracted to were the ones least likely to be an easy lay.

He actually preferred this, as he wanted to find someone with whom he could be a friend with first, and just enjoy their company, sharing common interests. To become lovers was secondary, and in Pru he found the perfect compromise.

“You know, I think Professor Higgins would approve of you,” he told her as they lay together as the dawn broke, sending slivers of pale light through the chinks in the curtain.

“Me, why?”

“He wanted a woman to be more like a man.”

She rolled on top of him, so their noses were almost touching.

“So, I’m more like a man, am I?”

“Yes and no. Yes, in that I can relate to you easier than any woman I have ever known. I feel I don’t have to explain things to you, as you will automatically understand. But, no, because you are without doubt the most beautiful and sexy woman I have ever met.”

“More beautiful than Katie?”

He laughed.

“I love you, Pru,” he said, and she did something amazing with her tongue.

Tony rose first on the Monday morning, as he did most mornings, presenting her with continental breakfast in bed, with a single red rose.

Saturday had seen a very subdued Hatton attend the various meetings. Rob had seen that the man was clearly distracted, and the meetings, although satisfactory, managed to pass without much input from Tremaine Industries senior executive.

Sunday gave ‘Katie’ an opportunity to see some of the city. As Mike stayed in the hotel, still trying in vain to contact Ryan, so the ‘nice American couple’ agreed to accompany her.

There was a final meeting with three members of the Tech -American group. There was no need for ‘Katie’ to be present, as they all spoke English. However, Mike Hatton was feeling insecure, and wishing to make a good impression, he asked her to attend as his PA.

It was a brief meeting. The senior negotiator was a vice-president of the American company, Harry G. Laszsciw, a third generation New Yorker of Polish descent. He was a hard-nosed man, who gave little. He saw Tremaine Industries as a small fish, but quite a valuable one. Their possession of a large section of the European and Far Eastern Market rendered them a valuable asset in the global picture of Petrochemical Industrial and agricultural machinery, in particular - pumps. Vast areas of low-lying land depended upon Tremaine pumps to irrigate and drain. They were dependable and easily maintained, with cheap parts and were now being constructed in factories in the countries themselves.

Tremaine, although not a huge corporation, was a wealthy one, and had great potential.

The short but constructive meeting fascinated Rob. Tech-American was offering a substantial sum for the smaller British firm. Although Laszcziw didn’t say so, Rob understood that as soon as it was acquired, it would be split into divisions, asset stripped, with the British end dissolved. He had a tape recorder running throughout.

Mike was more relaxed after the meeting, having come to an understanding with Laszcziw. There was the Shareholders Board Meeting on the Thursday where a vote would be taken. Mike seemed complacent that he would win the day. He stood to win an enormous personal fee from the Americans for engineering the deal, as well as transferring his shares from Tremaine to Tech-American, which would also benefit him greatly.

“I think it’s quite sad. I mean, this company was built up by one man, and here you are selling it up.”

“That, my dear, is what we call progress,” he said, quite cheerfully. They were in the taxi to the airport. Rob knew that the end was now in sight. Though quite what that end would mean, he had no idea.

As he boarded the plane, and he took his seat next to Mike in First Class, he noted that his sister and Tony were in Business Class, a little way back. Pru gave him a little wave.

The short flight was uneventful, and they whizzed through immigration, collected their luggage and were out of the Terminal in no time.

“I’ll see you in the office tomorrow. There’s no need to go in today, I have to, but you can have the rest of the day off. Please don’t talk to anyone about the meeting this morning, it is strictly confidential until after this Thursday’s meeting.”

“I won’t,” Rob lied.

Mike went to the cab rank and got into the next cab in line. Rob watched him go as Tony and Pru joined him.

“Now what?” he asked.

“Now, nothing, it’s business as usual.”

“Really?”

“I’ve just talked to Dad. The SFO are about to close down Mr Hatton. Four of his top people are also under investigation, so I think we have to carry on as normal. At least, you have to, Peter Marriott has disappeared.”

Rob frowned.

“What are we going to do about that?”

“Nothing, she’s coming down to my place in the country, and will stay there for a while,” said Tony, placing a proprietary arm around he shoulders. She looked up at him, grinned and kissed him.

“Until Thursday, that is,” she said.

“Thursday, why?”

“Daddy has put some shares of Tremaine Industries into our names. We have enough to attend the meeting.”

“Which names?” Rob asked, reasonably enough. After all, he’d used so many over the years.

“Ours, silly, Robin and Prudence Tremaine.”

“We’re Tremaines now, then?”

“Daddy says we always were.”

“And you believe him?”

“Not normally, but this time, yes, I think I do.”

“Hmm,” said Rob, unconvinced.

They caught the bus to the long Term Car Park. It was quite crowded so they spent the journey in silence. Rob reflected on everything that had happened, and was not a little unsure of the future.

They bus dropped them off within a few metres of Tony’s Range Rover, so very soon they were heading into town. The plan was to drop ‘Katy’ off at Elm Park Gardens, liase with Tremaine senior, and then Tony was taking his fiancée down to his home in the shires.

Robert was pleased to see them. He was excited, as clearly developments had occurred while they had been in Paris.

“Everything is on hold until the meeting,” he told them. “The SFO and police are holding back and will wait for the end of the meeting. Ryan has been charged with conspiracy to kidnap and murder, he’s being held incommunicado at a police station. He was at court this morning and has been remanded back into police custody.”

This was especially exciting news, for it was Ryan who had engineered the false allegations against Robert all those years ago.

“So what do I do, Dad?” Rob asked.

“You must go to work as usual. This is a crucial time, as my cousin must be lulled into a false sense of security into believing that nothing is wrong.”

“Won’t he twig about Ryan?”

“Who knows? He is probably worrying more about the accounts being frozen. The SFO froze them to monitor them, but have released them now. The bank is cooperating and will state they had a mainframe closure.”

So, Tony and Pru left for Buckinghamshire, Pru looking more relaxed and at ease than Rob could ever remember. He felt faintly envious, and that made him think of Letty and then of Sheena.

His father went out, to meet with the SFO, so Rob sought Theresa in the sitting room.

“Why the long face, Rob?”

“I don’t know if I want this to end. In a way, it’s all I know.”

“Don’t look at it as an ending, but as a fresh start of a different part of your life.”

Rob sat down. Theresa smiled sadly, for he sat properly, as a young woman in a skirt.

“Theresa, what should I do?”

“I can’t answer that, only you can.”

“If I knew, I wouldn’t have to ask.”

“In your heart, what do you want to do?”

“In my heart? I don’t know. Part of me wants to be Rob, to love Letty and live happily ever after. But another part of me wants to be Katie, to become as much a real woman as I can, and to take life one step at a time.”

“There is a third way,” Theresa said.

Rob frowned.

“What?”

Theresa told him.
 

*          *          *

 
‘Katie’ turned up on time for work on Tuesday. There seemed no difference at Tremaine Towers, and Rob completed the reports on the weekend’s meetings that Mike had asked him for.

In fact, everything was so ordinary, that rob was inclined to think that his father might have been mistaken. At lunchtime Sheena sought him out.

“What’s happened with your brother?” she asked.

“Why, what have you heard?”

“There’s a rumour he was kidnapped, and may be dead. But seeing you here, I suppose that’s all it is, a rumour.”

“Peter was involved in an attempted theft of a car from the car park. He saw someone trying to steal a car, and they thumped him, taking the car. They took him a mile or so and then dropped him off. He was slightly hurt and is having a few days off. That’s all.”

Sheena looked relieved.

“I’m glad he’s alright.”

“Thanks.”

“How was Paris?”

“Fine, it was fun.”

“Did the MD try to bed you?”

“No, he had a lot more on his mind.”

“Thanks for the other night, I think.”

“I’m sorry things didn’t work out like you’d hoped.”

“I’m still here, and you’re still talking to me,” Sheena said with a small smile.

“I still have some stuff to sort out, and don’t mean to fuck you about. I think it’s best we just leave things the way they are for a bit.”

Sheena nodded, clearly disappointed, and yet there was a little hope there for her.

“May I still be your friend?”

“Sheena, of course, but when this is all over, you may not want to be.”

Sheena frowned.

“Why?”

Rob smiled sadly.

“Let’s just say, I’m a very complicated individual,” he said.

“Aren’t we all?”

“Probably, but believe me, I am more than most.”

Sheena smiled uncertainly and left Rob alone once more. He shook his head sadly, there were going to be a lot of casualties after this was all over.

Wednesday was a repeat of Tuesday. Peter Marriott was officially sick, and Rob had to answer a few questions about his adventure, but once it proved to be quite minor, they dwindled to nil very quickly.

On Wednesday evening Letty called on the phone, and ‘Katie’ spent nearly an hour chatting to her. After the call was over, Rob retired to his room, and lay on his bed staring at the ceiling. His friendship with the other girl was one of the finest he’d ever had, and he knew that once the truth was out, that friendship was possibly never going to be the same again.

He didn’t know which he valued most, being Katie and her friend, or being Rob and her lover. He also kept trying to imagine what a lesbian relationship with Sheena would be like, and was coming to the conclusion that it was not destined to be either lasting or realistic.

There was a knock on his door.

He got of the bed and opened the door. His father stood there.

“Rob, may I come in?”

He opened the door and his father entered his room, sitting on the bed.

“Son, we need to talk.”
 

*          *          *

 
Thursday morning saw Theresa in the kitchen making breakfast. Robert came down and kissed her cheek.

“Good morning my dear, have you given any thought to what I said?”

She smiled.

“Robbie, we have known each other for years. I will, on one condition, the company comes second.”

He smiled.

“Done. You fix the day.”

She looked surprised, and then pleased.

Rob appeared, for the first time dressed as a male, in a smart dark suit, silk shirt and tie. His hair was very short, and he looked uncertain.

“Excellent, you look very smart my boy. Theresa, your hairdressing skills have not diminished over the years,” Robert said.

Rob smiled uncertainly.

Theresa handed him a full English breakfast.

He looked at it, and then at her.

“What’s the occasion?”

“First, you need building up, if you are to be the boy again, and secondly, why shouldn’t your future step-mother spoil you a little?”

He smiled.

“Congratulations. It seems everyone is getting settled except me.”

“That my boy is also up to you. I’m sure that Sir Charles would like his letter returned and Miss Letty would like the truth?”

“That’s what I’m afraid of. What happens when she rejects me because of the deception and lies I’ve perpetuated?”

“My boy, believe me, Letty is an incurable romantic, she’ll love you all the more. Trust me.”

“Yeah, right,” said Rob, once more unconvinced.

They ate their breakfast, and Robert kept looking at his watch.

“Expecting someone?” Rob asked.

“Yes, at it happens. Your sister should be here soon, and I’m expecting a chap called Goodyer.”

“Is he a policeman?”

“No, he’s a Barrister, but he’s part of the SFO. We are all going together. You’ll need these,” he said, passing over some documents.

“What are they?”

“Proof that you own twenty three percent of Tremaine Holdings shares.”

“Twenty three percent? That’s quite a lot.”

“Pru has the same, and I have five percent.”

“How come?”

“I transferred most of my original twenty percent to you two early on. Then I’ve bought a little more over the years, in bits and bobs, just to keep them unsuspecting. So, the three of us now own fifty one percent of the shares, and therefore can outs the current board and management.”

“Ah!” said Robin, a light coming on.

“Why the subterfuge?”

“Because if he’d suspected that I was buying up all his shares, he’d have blocked me legally, and if that failed he’d have had us all bumped off. So, all my intrigues were for a purpose, believe me.”

There was some noise at the front door. Pru and Tony came in, closely followed by Graham Goodyer and another man, who was introduced as a Detective Superintendent Paul Gration from the Fraud Squad.

“All here, anyone for a tea or coffee before we go?” Robert asked. There were no takers. “Right, into the fray.”
 
 
Chapter 15 - Show Down
 
 
The extra large conference room on the sixteenth floor was huge, and very light. The long pale wood table gleamed as the sun reflected through the long windows and off the highly polished surface. The view across to the south side of the river was marvellous, with St. Paul’s Cathedral at the edge of the picture.

There was room for forty people around the table, and seating for twice that number at the sides of the room. Twenty had congregated so far. The board members took their places at the table, and the voting shareholders sat at the sides.

Anyone with more than four percent of the vote was permitted to take a seat at the table. He did not expect that many to appear, as a full mail drop had taken place with the take-over offer clearly explained. The board was recommending to shareholders to accept the offer, and so proxy votes would be sent in by those bothered to reply. As the deal meant a large cash incentive for all share holders, Mike was confident that it would be a resounding yes vote.

Mike Hatton was slightly agitated. Ryan had disappeared off the face of the map. Young Peter Marriott was not contactable, although he had reportedly called in sick, with some tale of being assaulted by a car thief.

The bank had apologised over the frozen account, it had been a computer glitch after all, but he was still uneasy.
 

*          *          *

 
Downstairs, in the reception area, Robert Tremaine and his party appeared at the desk.

The receptionist, Sonia Johnson, looked up.

“Good morning, sir, may I help you?”

“Yes, we’re here for the shareholders’ meeting.”

“If you could sign in, please,” she said, passing the visitors’ book across.

They all signed in.

“It’s on the sixteenth floor, please take the elevator on the right.”

He thanked her and they moved off in the direction of the elevator. There was a slim, fair-haired young man in the group. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He was a very good-looking guy, and his suit looked like a very expensive Italian one. He wasn’t that tall, but he had bags of charm.

As the lift door closed, she looked at the visitors’ book.

Robert Tremaine

Prudence Tremaine

Robin Tremaine

Sir Anthony Fanshaw

Graham Goodyer QC

Ch. Supt P Gration. MPS.

She blinked a couple of times.

Robin Tremaine, that was the nice young man.

Tremaine, that was the name of the company, she wondered whether there was a connection.

There was a junior clerk taking names and checking share holdings at the door. When the Tremaine party appeared, and he saw the amount of holdings they had, he became slightly nervous. However, he had no choice, but entered the details, and allowed them to enter the antechamber to the boardroom. Refreshments were laid out on a table by the window, and they each collected a cup of something warm and a biscuit.

Then they entered the boardroom itself.

Mike Hatton was staring out the window, and was alerted to their arrival by a gasp from one of the board members. David Achieson had known Robert Tremaine well, and had been surprised and disbelieving when it was alleged he had swindled the company of such a trifling figure. However, he’d stayed on out of loyalty to both Robert and his father.

As time had passed, the eighty year old was resigned to the fact that as he’d fled the country, Robert must have been guilty, but still was uncomfortable with the whole concept. Therefore, when Robert walked into the boardroom as bold as brass, he’d gasped in surprise.

Mike turned round at for a moment the two men locked eyes.

“You!”

“Indeed cousin, it is I.”

“You are not welcome here. I shall have the authorities informed, you are a wanted man.”

“That won’t be necessary, sir,” said the Superintendent, who then identified himself.

“Mr Tremaine is assisting us with certain enquiries and has invited us to this meeting. And, for your information, he is no longer wanted by the police, having satisfied us concerning his innocence of all allegations that were made.”

Mike stood and stared; there was absolute silence in the room. Old David Achieson broke the silence.

“Well I’ll be buggered, I knew you couldn’t have done it, Robbie boy. Welcome back.”

“Thank you David. It’s so good to see you too.”

Mike was still standing, his mind working overtime.

“Who are these people?” he demanded.

“How remiss of me, may I present my son, Robin, my daughter Prudence and her fiancé Sir Anthony Fanshaw, and these two gentlemen are, ah, here as my, ah, legal advisors.”

Pru turned to Tony.

“Sir Anthony?” she asked, sotto voce.

“Long story. I’ll tell you later.”

“You certainly will. Does this mean I’ll be Lady Fanshaw?”

“Never a lady, only a wench,” said her brother with a grin.

“May I call the meeting to order?” asked Mike.

Everyone took their seats, and much to mike’s distress, the three Tremaines sat at the table, signifying they had at least twelve percent of the voting stock.

“The point of this meeting is to discuss and vote on the offer of Tech-American to purchase Tremaine Industries. You have all been sent the board’s recommendation, so may I call upon you to vote as required?”

“Point of order, Mr Chairman.”

“Mr Tremaine?”

“Is there to be no discussion on the offer?”

Mike stared at his cousin, and if looks could kill, Robert would have died a thousand deaths.

“Is there any point? Most of this has been discussed at length by the board.”

“I just thought it would be wise for the minutes to show that opportunity was given to discuss the disposal of my father’s company by profiteering bastards, who have no thought for the loyal and hard working workforce. Some of these people have given decades in the service of this company, and for what? For a few greedy men to line their pockets at their expense.”

“You are out of order, sir!”

“Probably, but I have made my point.”

“Are there any more discussion points?”

No one raised their hands.

“In your folders are voting slips. Please enter your proportion of shares and your vote. The board recommends accepting the offer, so a yes vote would follow the board’s recommendation. A no vote would leave the company as it is.”

There was a time of silence, with papers being completed. One of the executives collected the voting papers, and retired to a desk at the side of the room. It didn’t take him long. With an ashen expression, he returned to Mike and handed him a single piece of paper.

Mike knew before he read it.

“Fifty eight against, and forty two in favour. The recommendation is not carried, and the offer is hereby refused.”

He sat down, defeated.

Robert looked at David Achieson, his seven percent had come at an opportune moment. Robert stood up.

“Mr Chairman, I propose a vote of no confidence in the board and with the senior management of this company.”

“Seconded!” said David.

“It is therefore placed before the shareholders present to vote, that the incumbent board and senior management team be stripped of their positions and required to resign. Effective immediately.”

The clerk hurriedly started to get the papers together.

“That will not be necessary, a show of hands will suffice.”

Four hands raised, Robert’s, David’s, Pru’s and Robin’s. Representing the same fifty eight percent.

“Damn you!” said Mike, looking grey and quite ill.

Robert ignored him completely.

“As the chairman has just stood down, I’d like to propose a new chairman and chief executive of Tremaine Industries. My son Robin Tremaine.”

Robin looked aghast at his father.

The votes were cast, and Robin found himself the new chairman.

“May I respectfully suggest to the chairman, that he should appoint the new senior management team and new board. I’ve taken the liberty in completing a list for you.”

Robert was enjoying himself immensely. He passed a list to the dazed young man, who looked at it and passed it to David.

“Please sort this out. I need to speak to my father.”

“That, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of the meeting, if there is no other business, then I declare the meeting closed. Tremaine Industries has a Tremaine at the helm once more.”

Graham and the Superintendent shook Robert’s hand before closing in on the pale Michael Hatton.

“Michael Hatton, I’m arresting you for deception, theft, conspiracy to kidnap, to murder and several cases of false accounting, you do not have to say anything, but……”

Several of the shareholders approached Robert and shook his hand. Robert was pleasant with all, and as the sacked executives slunk out of the room, he looked out across the Thames.

“A good day’s work,” he announced.

“Dad, what’s this about being chief executive?”

“I can’t give it to Pru, she’s going to be a farmer’s wife and have loads of squealing brats.”

Pru giggled and hugged her husband to be.

“But, it’s your company,” said Robin.

“No, it’s a Tremaine company. It was passed to me for safe-keeping and I lost it. I am not worthy to hold it; besides, I’m too old and tired. I’ve made recovering it my life’s work, and now that is accomplished, I can pass it on as my father did to me.”

“I’m not ready, I’m too young.”

“I agree. The men and women on that board, and the management team I suggest will do the job while you become older and wiser. Just don’t take too long about it!”

“But Dad, what about you?”

“I will caretaker it for five years, and then I am retiring completely. Is that fair?”

Robin grinned.

“Fair.”

“Now, isn’t there a man you have to see about a letter?”
 

*          *          *

 
Sir Charles Greyson was concerned. Firstly, over an alleged letter that that cad Markham alluded to, and yet never surfaced when the police searched his home and car. He knew of the letter, and was, as Robert surmised, embarrassed but not desperately afraid of any serious consequences should it surface in the public arena.

He was more concerned about his daughter. Ever since that blasted fancy dress ball, she’d been in a dizzy state over a boy. He knew his daughter and had seen what she’d been like with a series of young men, Markham amongst them, but never had she been quite so potty.

She was not doing any work at college, except dreaming about her young man. Whenever he challenged her about him she just smiled and said, “I don’t know,” to every question.

It was therefore some surprise to him when James announced that a Robin Tremaine was in the drawing room, and had called to see him about a confidential matter.

“Tremaine? Is this another one of Robert Tremaine’s offspring?”

“I’m sure I don’t know sir, but if I should hazard a guess, then I should say that is a likely conclusion.”

He made for the drawing room, aware that Letty was not yet home from college, though why she bothered going was beyond him. He entered the room to see a slight but fit looking young man standing looking at the portrait of his late wife.

He was very smartly dressed in a dark suit, had short fair hair and had an easy manner. He turned as he entered.

“Sir Charles, it’s good of you to see me. I’m Robin Tremaine, you’ve met my father and sister, I believe?”

“Yes, how do you do? Is your father well?”

They shook hands.

“Very well. And my sister sends her regards. She has just become engaged to Sir Anthony Fanshaw, with whom I believe you are also acquainted?”

“Indeed, I am. Tony’s a cousin of mine. My congratulations to them both.”

“Thank you sir. However, I am here today on a double mission. My first is to return something to you which I believe you should take care to dispose of properly.” With that he took out the letter and passed it over.

Sir Charles read the letter and frowned.

“How came you by this?”

“Sir, that day when Letty was kidnapped, it was I who followed and effected her release. It was I who traced the letter, and it was I who saw to the arrest of the man responsible.”

“You? But Letty described someone completely different.”

“That was my fault. I was at the time also engaged in a covert operation against a fraudster, and could not afford to have my identity generally known or my appearance disclosed. It would have compromised my operation.”

“You are a policeman?”

“No. I am, as from this morning, the chief executive and chairman of Tremaine Industries. I’m sorry it is not such a glamorous occupation.”

Sir Charles was reeling. He walked over to the coal fire, and threw the letter onto it, watching the paper darken, crumple and then ignite.

“You said a double mission?”

“Yes sir. You may be aware that your daughter has been distracted of late over a young man for whom she declares undying love?”

Sir Charles smiled.

“Yes, but this is hardly unusual.”

“I’m sorry for that, sir, for I am here to inform you that that man is me, and I seek permission to ask for her hand in marriage.”

Sir Charles sat down.

He fully expected this sophisticated and educated young man to tell him that he knew whom the man was, but never did he expect that it was to be someone as eligible as he.

“You?” he repeated, unnecessarily.

“I, sir.”

“In this day and age, it isn’t really necessary to ask my permission.”

“Sir, my father has taught me many things. Most of which are completely useless, but he has taught me some old values, which have a sound basis in common sense and good manners. So with your permission, may I address Letty?”

“Robin, is it?”

“I prefer Rob, sir.”

“Then Rob it is. Please don’t keep calling me sir; it makes me feel older than I am. My name is Charles, and if you are to be my son-in-law, then I would prefer you use my name.”

“I hesitate to do so, for she may yet refuse me.”

Sir Charles started to laugh.

“My Boy, how well do you know my daughter?”

“I like to think, very well.”

“Then how do you think she’ll react?”

Rob smiled.

“I’d like to think she’ll accept.”

“So do I, now all you have to do is ask. She’s due back any minute. I have to thank you for the letter. I am indebted to you and your family.

“It’s a pleasure, sir, sorry, Charles.”

The banging of the front door alerted them to the arrival of the girl in question.

“Daddy, who’s car is that….?” She started saying as she walked into the drawing room. She stared at the smart young man with her father.

“Ah, Letty, this is young Robin Tremaine. His father has helped me out of a business pickle. I have to make a phone call, see if he’d like a drink or something.”

Sir Charles winked at Rob and left them alone, closing the door as he left.

Letty stood staring at the man. There was something achingly familiar about him.

“Hello Letty, remember me?” he asked, with a smile.

It was his voice. Her heart skipped a beat, and she felt the warmth rise in her whole being.

“You!”

He nodded, opening his shirt to show her the dragon.

“You’ve come for me?”

He nodded again.

“Where will you take me?”

He laughed.

“You would go with me, just like that? Knowing nothing about me?”

“I love you, I’ll go wherever you want me to, what more is there?”

“Oh Letty, you really are potty!”

He walked towards her, and taking her hands in his, he kissed her.

The kiss went on and on. Two souls met and mingled, and a deep certainty settled on Rob. For the first time in his mixed up life he now knew what he wanted.

He broke off from the kiss.

“Letty, I came to ask you to marry me, but first I have to ask you to forgive me.”

“What for?”

“I have not been entirely honest with you.”

She frowned.

“How?”

“Look at me, Letty, see if you can guess.”

She stared at him frowning.

“What?” she asked.

“When I said I know you, why do you think that was?”

She shook her head; her dark curls bouncing as she did so.

“You know me, Letty, you know me well.”

“You could be another brother of Katie and Peter Marriott.”

“Very close, but wrong. Look again.”

She looked, and the frown became deeper. She started to shake her head.

“No, you can’t be. It’s not possible!”

“What’s not possible?”

“You can’t be her, she’s a woman!”

“Tell me, what do you see?”

“There’s no way you could be Katie, no way at all.”

He simply stood and smiled. She saw that it was true. He had the same eyes, the same smile.

“But Katie is a woman.”

“Is she, Letty?”

“How, why?” she said.

“It’s a long story; it started before I was born……”

When he’d finished, he took her hand.

“You see, I don’t deserve you, I have lived a lie and deceived you.”

“Oh my God! The things I must have said to you, and the changing booths out shopping!” Her hand went to her mouth as she remembered stripping down to her knickers whilst shopping with Katie.

“I swear to you, you said nothing to me that was out of place, and as for the shopping, maybe that’s why I came to love you.”

“You love me?”

“I do. I want you for my wife, please?”

She smiled and nodded.

“On one condition?”

“What?”

“Katie was my best friend, can Katie come shopping with me sometimes?”

Rob grinned and kissed her.

“I’ll have to ask her, but I’m sure she’d be delighted.”
 
 
Epilogue - A Family At Peace
 
 
Robert put down his newspaper, and finished his breakfast. The headlines made very interesting reading.
 
 

TYCOON CHEATED FOR 30 YEARS

    Millionaire businessman Michael HATTON appeared in court today facing several charges going back nearly thirty years.

    After a dramatic showdown with his missing cousin, Robert Tremaine, during a board meeting last month, Hatton was arrested with other senior executives of Tremaine Industries. The board of directors and senior executives were all sacked when Tremaine turned up with his son Robin (22) and daughter Prudence (24), who now possess over fifty percent of the company shares.

    Having been framed by Hatton for embezzlement back in 1979, Tremaine jumped bail and left the country. He has spent the last twenty-five years planning his revenge.

    Mr Tremaine’s house in Berkshire, had been used by Mr Hatton, was last night back in his hands.

    A spokesman for the Serious Fraud Office said, “Mr Tremaine approached us in possession of compelling evidence that it was Hatton and not he who had been responsible for the initial offence, and our investigations have shown that many more offences have been committed by officers of the company over the last two to three decades.”

    Six people have been arrested, more charges are expected soon.

    Robert Tremaine is now taking control of his company once more, as a caretaker for his son, who is being groomed for the job. Robin, who has recently become engaged to Letitia Greyson, daughter of Sir Charles Greyson was unavailable for comment. Mr Tremaine said, “I am just pleased that justice is being done.”

    Hatton was remanded in custody having been committed for trial at the Crown court.

 
 
“Altogether very satisfying, my dear,” he said to Theresa.

“It’s hard to think it was only a month ago that you had that meeting.”

“And look what’s happened since. I have my home back, my business back and my children are finally getting settled. I have married a beautiful woman, so what more could a man want?”

“I am so pleased for Robin. He seems so much more fulfilled somehow.”

“I know, and I have to confess to being seriously worried about the poor lad. It was too much what I expected of him. It is a testimony to his strength of character that he has turned out as well adjusted as he has.”

Theresa simply smiled.

“As for Pru, the wedding is in four weeks, she wants to be a June Bride.”

“She’ll be a March mother then,” said Theresa.

Robert frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“Robert, that girl wants children, lots of them, and I guarantee she’ll start as soon as she can.”

“Oh, I had hopes she’d finish her legal training. I always fancied having a barrister in the family.”

“Robert, sometimes you can be so blind. She’s to be a farmer’s wife, she adores the life and she’ll only be happy with about eight children hanging around her.”

“Could be worse, I suppose.”
 

*          *          *

 
The woman in question was practicing for that day, as she and Tony made love in the huge bed in his Buckinghamshire home. The couple had hardly left each other’s side in all the time since the board meeting that altered their fortunes forever.

Tony took her everywhere, and she found immediate acceptance amongst those in the local vicinity, on the farms and nearby. Sir Tony, as he was known, was considered a real local gent, and she immediately filled the accepted idea of his good lady. She’d already become known in the local pub as ‘Lady Pru’.

Their days were filled with companionship and laughter, their nights with passion and pure unmitigated love. They were true soul mates, and neither yearned for anything else in life.
 

*          *          *

 
Letty tried on the dress, she wasn’t sure if it suited her. After looking in the mirror, she approached her companion, a stunning blonde girl.

“What do you think?” she asked.

“Hmm, isn’t it a little tight across the shoulders?”

“Just a bit, do you like it?”

“It wouldn’t suit me.”

“No, do you like me in it?”

“I adore you in it, but I’d prefer you out of it!”

Letty giggled and the two girls kissed. The sales assistant looked away, embarrassed.

“Go on then, buy it, and we can have fun getting you out of it later.”

Letty giggled again, stripping off in front of her friend. She struggled to pull her jeans on, and then her top. The pair of them approached the checkout with the dress.

The assistant looked faintly disapproving.

Letty paid and they left, but Letty couldn’t restrain herself any longer. She burst out into a terrible fit of giggling.

“She thought you were a girl!” she said.

“So, that’s nothing, she thought you were a lesbian.”

Letty stopped and kissed her friend, and they became quite passionate. Two suited businessmen almost collided as they were watching the two girls and not where they were going.

The girls laughed, linked arms, and walked off down the road. Rob smiled; perhaps Theresa’s third way could work after all.


 
FIN?

 

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Modern Masquerade

Tanya; I read this sometime ago on your page on Maddy's site and enjoyed it then. I know you updated or revise some spots in this but was just as great reading it again as it was the first time. Thanks for the great story! Richard

Richard

FIN?

Oh, boy! You've set up -not a cliffhanger- but a wonder-derby about what might be coming along to add to this superdelightful masquerade. I've wondered about Sheena since she was introduced and the story did nothing to discourage that - au contraire. And a further point of wonder is to whether you might attempt to bring Pru out of "retirement." And what about the delectable Robin? Will Letty develop an interesting personality? (Can Robin stand it if she doesn't?)

Thanks for MM at any rate. It is special.

FIN?

I hope so. This story has wonderful possibilities for the whole family, however, we hope that you and your muses spend time finishing your other stories that have left us hanging by our fingertips and imaginations.

We so enjoy your writing that I keep coming back.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Better than the original

I read Heyer's original many moons ago and although I loved the gender shenanigans the plot itself felt confusing to me. Perhaps I was too young then :-) but in this version, everything is clear, and all the subplots (romantic and political) make perfect sense. Perhaps Tanya simplified things; perhaps setting it in modern times helped; perhaps Tanya is just a better storyteller than Heyer. Having enjoyed quite a lot of Tanya's work, I'm perfectly prepared to believe the latter.

In short, a great story, well told, and the gender element is treated the way I like it.
And as always, having competent protagonists is a major plus.

-- Moni

It's a girls' world; we just let boys live in it.

wonderful

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Just plain fun!
Like all of Tanya's stories.
I haven't read all of them yet, but I will.