Shit Happens, But So Do Miracles! Parts 9 - 14

Printer-friendly version
Shit_Happens3_CropiStock_000004431557Small.jpg
Shit Happens,
But So Do Miracles!

by Tanya Allan

Synopsis
Young Martin Collins was the youngest of five brothers, and no sisters! His mother, Jenny, had always wanted a girl, and although slightly disappointed, treated him no differently!

However, from a very early age, Martin himself realised that things weren’t quite right, and when playing with some girls his age, he made the discovery that was to charge his life!

He was in the wrong body!

Childhood should be a time of fun and laughter, but for Martin it was to prove a depressing and miserable time, until things started to change, and a light shone at the end of his tunnel!

Miracles are few and far between, but for Martin, his life went from bad to brilliant!


 
Tanya has a new website where she will display her latest works first and then to BigCloset TopShelf a few weeks later is here at Tanya Allan's Tales .
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


 
The Legal Stuff: Shit Happens, But So Do Miracles! ©2004 Tanya Allan
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright, in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Permission is granted for it to be copied and read by individuals, and for no other purpose. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited, and may only be posted to free sites with the express permission of the author.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
The image used for the Title Presentation here on BigCloset Topshelf was purchased and used under royalty-free license from www.istockphoto.com / user Flisk .
 
 
Please enjoy.
Tanya

 
 
Chapter 9
 
 
Broughton Hall hadn’t changed, but they had. It was almost as if they had outgrown the place.

The summer term brought nice warm weather, and news from Jenny. She wrote a long letter to Martina, and told her that she was due to return home by half term.

The courts had ordered that Charles pay her a lump sum from his assets, but only after his other debts had been paid. She stated that she wouldn’t have even got that, had she not gone out there. Mark had already come home, and she had met someone!

She was very mysterious, and Martina couldn’t bear not knowing more.

Rob and Martina decided that the time had come to start leaking a little of Martina’s past. To friends first, and then to anyone who asked. Just the bare essentials, playing down the whole affair.

Rob thought it best if it all came from her, and that way he wouldn’t do anything but confirm the truth.

So Martina left out some of the programmes and stuff from Halsey Hall. Needless to say it was Sophie, nicknamed the Broughton Bugle, who first saw them, and asked Martina all about them.

“How come you were involved in plays at that school, it’s a boys school, isn’t it?” she asked.

Martina casually explained why, and shrugged it all off as being of little consequence. She then swore Sophie to secrecy, and knew that it would be round the school like a flash!

She wisely approached the Headmaster, and told him of her intentions, and asked him to tell the staff. They agreed upon the facts that should be divulged, and kept Rob’s involvement as far out of it as possible.

Sure enough, within days it was the major topic of scandal in the school, and Rob steeled himself for the backlash.

It never came, and he sought out Martina, who was just leaving singing practice.

“Hi Martina!” he said.

“Hi, gorgeous!”

“Look, have you taken any stick over this, yet?” he asked.

“Not yet, why, have you?” she asked, as they linked arms.

“No, that’s what has surprised me. I’ve had a couple of people ask me whether it was true, and then nothing! It’s all a bit bizarre. How do you find people?” he said.

“How do you mean?”

“Well, do they behave any different?”

“Not so you would notice. Most of the girls seem supportive, and rather surprised. Some of the boys can’t believe it.” she said.

“It’s because they know you now, and never knew you back then!” he said.

“Probably, but I still think we were right to time it now!” she said.

They were at the crossroads, Rob had to turn left, and she, was going straight on. They stopped, and had a furtive look round.

“I love you!” he said.

“Mmm, me too. Kiss?” she said.

They kissed.

“I hate all this sneaking about and feeling guilty!” he said.

“It won’t be forever!” she said. “I’ll see you later!”

Rob watched as she made her way back to her house.
 
 
The term continued, and half term loomed. Rob was involved with a cricket tour, and thus spoiled any plans they had of getting together. But Martina was looking forward to seeing her mother. She realised that it had been January when she had last seen her, and actually it was as well that she was going to be alone with her.

Sure enough, at half term Jenny collected Martina in her Mercedes.

Martina hugged Jenny, and both were surprised at each other.

Jenny had lost weight, and had a lovely tan. She had let her hair grow out a little, and had had it cut really nicely. She looked ten years younger, and was smiling again.

Martina, on the other hand, looked totally different. Her lovely blonde hair was now almost at her waist, and looked fantastic. She was very fit, and had filled out in all the right places. Gone were all traces of teenager, and the young lady whom Jenny met, was very different to the girl she had dropped off in January.

For a start, she no longer wore teenager’s clothes. She had a smart skirt and pale blouse, and a matching jacket, Jenny noted the ring was on Martina’s left finger, and she had an air of maturity that surprised her.

“Oh! Martina, you’ve grown up! I hardly recognise you!” she said.

“Same here, Mummy. What has happened to you, you look brilliant?” Martina said.

They loaded the car up, and set off, both eager to learn about each other’s news.

Jenny told her daughter all about Australia, and the court case. Mark had arranged for an Australian lawyer to deal with her side of the matter, and it had all been very hard going. The police had been wonderful, and the lawyer, a Sam Caird, who originally came from Perth in Scotland, had been particularly wonderful.

“Oh yes! Mummy, and how wonderful was that?” Martina asked.

Much to her delight, her mother went bright pink, under her tan.

“Oh! That’s wonderful! Brilliant, what’s he like?” she asked.

“He is a year younger than me, and divorced.” she admitted.

“Super, a toy boy! Go on!”

“Oh, Martina! He has two children who are about your age, and a bit younger. His ex-wife has moved to Tasmania, and he rarely sees them. He is very sweet, and looked after me very well.”

“Oh yes? And just how well was that?”

“That is between him and me, Martina!” Jenny said.

“When are you seeing him again?” Martina asked.

“He wants to come over in August for a few weeks. Would you mind?”

“Mind! Don’t be silly; I think it is great! I’m looking forward to meeting him already!” Martina said.

“I am relieved, I thought you would. Now tell me your news.” Jenny said.

For the rest of the journey, Martina told Jenny all about the Alexanders, and Scotland. She told her about castles and dances, kilts and sashes, footmen and Royalty. She hardly drew breath, and Jenny was just so pleased that Martina had been so well looked after.

“I’ve told everyone at school about you know what.” Martina admitted.

“Oh, Martina, you didn’t! Why?”

“Because it is bound to come out eventually, and at a time that could be really awkward for everyone. Particularly, as I have a convicted thief for a father, the last thing I need is a sudden scandal that would put the kybosh on any attempt I make to succeed at anything.” Martina said.

“What was the reaction?”

“That was the surprising thing, there really wasn’t one! Oh, lots of people came and asked me what it was like, and stuff, but as they all know me now, there was no real reaction at all.”

“I think that was very lucky. Was Rob teased or anything?”

“No, he was asked to confirm my story, and there was some interest, mostly by guys who thought it was dead sneaky having your girlfriend pretending to be a boy!” Martina laughed.

They went on to talk about Mark and the other boys, and all that had gone on while she had been away. Martina felt as if she had been the one out of the loop, as she knew nothing about what her brothers had been up to.

“I think Rebecca has finally got Peter to set a date!” Jenny said.

“When? Not June?”

“No, Peter has accepted a post as a GP in a small Practice near Cheltenham. But he can’t start until the end of the summer. So they are planning on buying a house, and getting married at the beginning of September. I think Rebecca may ask you to be a bridesmaid. But don’t count on it, she changes her mind like the wind, that one!”

“Really? Wicked!” said Martina with a grin. “I’ve never been a bridesmaid!”

“I wonder why!” said her mother.

She drove in silence for a while, as Martina was taking in all she had found out.

“Where are we, financially, now that Dad is done and dusted?” she asked her mother.

“Not much difference. There is the trust, the house, and I have a small amount invested. Your school fees are secure as they are all done through an insurance scheme. It depends if Sam manages to wangle some cash out of the Australian judicial system. He wasn’t awfully hopeful, but you never know.” Jenny said.

“It’s a pity I can’t start work now. I’m sure I could get enough money as a singer, to keep us from selling the house.” Martina said.

“You finish your studies. You will be in a better position to get more money with the right qualifications. Particularly as your singing coach has not finished with you yet!”

“All the qualifications are worth diddly-squat if we are homeless!” Martina said.

“We have some time to go before that happens.” Jenny said.

“Besides, what happens to me, if your hunk of an Australian comes over here in the summer, and carries you off back to Australia with him?” Martina asked.

“Don’t be silly, Martina. Even if we ever became that far involved, he knows that I would never leave England while you are still at school, or need me.”

“Mummy, you know perfectly well that I can manage fine, and if you want to fly off to Australia, I’d just have to marry Rob and make him look after me!” Martina said.

Jenny looked at her, knowing that the joke was near the truth. She was aware that they might as well be married, as they behaved as if they were most of the time.

“How is Rob?”

“Missing me!” she said.

“How do you know?”

“Because I am missing him!” Martina said.

“Oh!”

“Rob is fine, Mummy. He is off playing cricket in Devon, of all places. They have a tour, and he is the main fast bowler. I’ve watched him, and he is bloody lethal! He is wildly inaccurate, but occasionally he surprises everyone and hits the stumps. But is makes so much noise as he approaches, and bowls the ball so fast, he terrifies the poor opposition before they get a chance to hit the ball. I am very glad I don’t have to play it any more, it is so boring!”

“You sound as if you liked Scotland. Do you think you would ever want to settle up there?”

“Who knows? It was lovely, but a little un-real. I know that most people live normal lives, and the Stewart-McRae party was hardly a normal event, but I think that life is just the same wherever you settle. It depends upon who you have around you at the time!” Martina said.

They were approaching the Lucky Feather, the pub that Martina kept picking up her soldier friend.

“Interested in a pub meal?” Jenny asked.

“Not really, I’m not that hungry, and besides, the man I have is more than enough for me!” Martina said.

Jenny drove past, aware that her daughter had definitely grown up several notches in the short time she had been away.
 
 
Half term was subdued, Jenny and Martina had a good time together. They talked about plans, relationships and possibilities. The estate agent came and discussed prices and Jenny decided not to put the house on the market, yet!

Martina met up with the twins, and told them about the letters she had exchanged with Elizabeth, Jason’s sister, in Guelph.

They all went shopping, and Martina became aware that the twins were younger than her. Oh, they were the same age, but she had overtaken them. They were interested in different things, and Martina found herself bored with their endless chatter about utter drivel! She was too polite to say anything, but they didn’t get together again.
 
 
In fact, Martina was ready to go back to Broughton before she was due to go. Jenny recognised the signs, and was worried that she was growing up so quickly, she would lose the little girl she had so desperately wanted. And being sensible, she told Martina what she felt.

“You can’t lose me that easily! You may lose the little girl, but you will always have the woman. I may not always be a child, but I will always be your daughter, and even if I am sixty, you will still be my Mummy!” Martina said. Jenny felt very humble to have such a bright daughter.
 
 
Martina was back at school early on the Sunday before term started. She had caught the train, and had walked up the road from the station.

Mrs Williams was surprised to see her, and then realised that the cricket team was due back very soon.

Sure enough, as the team bus pulled to a halt in the car park, the captain said, “Rob, your missus is here!”

Rob saw a familiar figure sitting on the wall. The rest of the team were already getting off the bus, and emptying all the kit. He was the last to get off, and she jumped off the wall and walked over to him.

They didn’t say anything, they just looked at each other for a moment.

“Hi!” she said.

“Hi.”

“Did you win?”

“Played five, won three, drew one and lost one! How about you, how’s Jenny?” he asked.

She’s fine. She’s found a man, but he is Australian. I missed you so much!” she said.

“Me too. Bummer isn’t it?” he said.

“The last time you said that, I had my first curse!” she said.

“I remember. How are you?”

“Better now, you’re back, so I’m complete again!” she said.

“I feel like that too!”

“You know we are going to have to get married, don’t you?” she said.

“Yes, but I haven’t any problem with that. It’s what I’ve always wanted!”

“Me too, but everyone says we’re too young!” she said.

“Stuff them, what do they know. They all end up getting divorced, we’ve been together for longer than many of them have been married.” he said.

“Never leave me, Robbie!”

“I won’t if you won’t!” he replied.

“No, I really mean it!”

“So do I!”

“Rob, for pities sake just kiss her!” shouted the cricket coach who was getting bored.

Rob grinned, and Martina melted into where she belonged!
 
 
The term continued, and Marcus Brady noticed a profound change come over Rob and Martina. Their relationship had been so blatant for so long that they made no attempt to hide it any more. But gone were the days of the crafty snog in the woods, or the covert kiss when they thought that no one was missing. They had been in the habit of holding hands, and of springing apart when approached by staff. Now they simply went about arm in arm, and kissed each other in greeting and farewell, openly and unashamedly.

Their early passion had developed or matured into something deeper. It was as if they were two parts of a single entity! Brady wondered whether he would have the first marriage held at the school chapel, and reminded himself to talk to the pair, again!
 
 
Rob was now in the Army section of the CCF (Combined Cadet Force), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Major Southwood, a mild mannered science teacher for the rest of the time, recognised a potential army officer in Rob, and went out of his way to encourage him.

Martina had to choose between the CCF, and doing her Duke of Edinburgh’s awards. On the one hand she rather fancied the uniform, and being with Rob, and on the other, she recognised that running about with a rifle was fine, but it wasn’t really her thing. She decided to go for her D of E Award.

She persisted with her voice training with Sheila, who was even more pleased with her, and had her trying out pieces from various operas. Her guitar teacher was also very pleased, and had her take her grade 1 exam, which she passed quite easily.

Rob was now learning the drums, not for any grades, but he wanted to be in any band that might have Martina in it!

Before they knew it, the end of term loomed, and with it the sports day and exams. Much to Martina’s amazement she won the girls 400m and 800m. Then she watched Rob win his age group’s 1500m, long jump and javelin.

Martina then had the last leg to run in the 4x100m relay race. She had never been a great sprinter, but she put everything she had into it. Their team was lying second as she took the baton, and her opponent had just won the 100m race, so she knew that she was hardly the favourite.

But she focussed, took a deep breath and just ran as fast as she could. She was aware that she had drawn level with the other girl, but when they crossed the line she flung her shoulders and head forward, as she had seen the athletes do on the telly.

The crowd went wild, and she never for a moment thought that she had won. In fact, she congratulated the other girl, and was walking away when they announced that she had won, but only just! Mike Snelling, the Athletics and PE master told her that if she hadn’t dipped at the line she would not have won.

She was very pleased, and particularly when Katherine, the girl she had just beaten came and gave her a hug.

The exam results also pleased her, she came top in most subjects, and she was able to look to the future, as they were about to enter the fifth year now, the GCSE year. Martina was able to select, alongside the usual core subjects of Maths, English Literature, English language, History, Geography, Science, RE, and French the additional subjects of Drama and Art, as well as German. She was one of the first pupils of Broughton to sit eleven GCSEs!

Rob was not far behind her, concentrating on the sciences, and Design & Technology.
 
 
One evening, with only a couple of days left to go before they broke up for the summer, Rob and Martina were sitting in their favourite place, on the veranda of the cricket pavilion.

It was a peaceful spot, and they had made it such a habit, that no one ever bothered them there. The staff members were happy, as they were quite open about it, and they always knew where they were.

“Are you off anywhere this hols?” he asked.

“No, we can’t afford it, not until we get some dosh from the court. Everything is all up in the air at the moment. How about you?”

“I don’t know. Mum is muttering about going and staying in a converted farmhouse in France, for a couple of weeks in August. It sounds pretty dull to me.”

“Where about?” she asked.

“I have no idea, it is somewhere in Brittany, near the coast.”

“That sounds wonderful, they say Brittany is super!” Martina said.

“It would be wonderful if you were there! The North pole would be wonderful if you were there!” he said.

“You soppy sod!” she said, and kissed him.

“Would you like to see if there is room for you too?” he asked.

“I don’t want to be a burden!” she said.

“You would never be a burden, besides Mum would love having you around to help!” Rob said. “Besides, I’d like you to be with us.”

“You know I’d love to come, but, I won’t if I am a burden!” she said.

They walked slowly up to the phone box. There were public phones in all the houses, and a box by the main classroom block.

Rob phoned home, and spoke to his mother. The conversation was very brief, and he came out grinning like the Cheshire cat.

“Of course you can come, they were going to ask you at speech day, they are all coming down. Dad has some business near Southampton, and they are just having a little break. Lucy broke up yesterday.” he said.

Martina flung her arms around his neck, just as Mr Snelling cycled past.

“Put him down, Bennett! You don’t know where he’s been!” he said, without slowing down or even looking at them.

“Mummy is coming up, and so is Mark. He’s never been here, and he wants to see the place. Why don’t we get together for the picnic, before the speeches? It seems silly us over there by Cardiff and you by Leeds. Besides our Mums will probably want to meet.” Martina said, still entwined with Rob.

“That sounds fun. If you bring your car to there, by the crossroads, we will meet you there. We will be as close to the houses, and even closer to the marquee!” he suggested.

They kissed each other goodnight, and went their separate ways.
 
 
Speech day arrived, and by 11 am the parents started to arrive. The intention was to allow the parents and guests to have a leisurely stroll around the school, with exhibitions in every quarter, followed by a picnic lunch by their respective cars, and then, by 2pm, everyone would enter the marquee. The prizes would precede the speeches, and then the tug-of-war final and the assault course finals would be battled out. The CCF unit would put on a small display involving the prolific use of blank ammunition and thunderflashes, and then everyone could go home.
 
 
Martina was standing outside Cardiff talking to Sophie when she saw a familiar Mercedes. As it got closer she saw that Mark was driving, and her mother was beside him.

She ran to meet them. She saw that Mark was wearing his army uniform, and that he now had a crown on each shoulder. He had been promoted to Major.

She flung her arms around his neck, and his leather Sam Browne creaked.

“Congratulations, Mark! You will be a General soon!” she said.

Mark hadn’t seen Martina for nearly a year, and he was surprised how much she had matured, in every aspect. He grinned at her, and hugged her.

She then greeted her mother, and they set off on a tour of the school.

Mark was impressed, although a small school, compared to Granton and the other large public schools, it was very well appointed. As they looked at the art exhibition, the imagination and flair was very evident. Some of the items were superb, and would have been at home in any gallery.

There was a lovely painting of a ballerina, in mid-pirouette. She was in silhouette, and the artist had used only black and white paint. It was quite striking, and caught the moment exactly.

Mark leant forward and read the small caption underneath.

He turned to Martina, who was looking at another exhibit.

“You are bloody brilliant! She is lovely! When you get it, can I have it?” he said.

“Of course, but next year I am doing GCSE Art, so the stuff should be even better!” she said.

Jenny caught up with them and looked at the ballerina.

“That’s very good!” she said.

“So it should be!” said Mark, “Your daughter painted it!”

“No! Really?” said Jenny, examining the caption, as if disbelieving.
 
 
They kept on, and Mark was struck at the friendliness of the place. There was a real rapport between the staff and students, and one he could not recall in all his years at Granton. All the kids looked happy, and then he remembered that they were about to go home, and smiled.

They met up with the Alexanders in the agreed place, and Rob made the introductions.

They parked the cars tail to tail, the Mercedes and the Range Rover. Then spread two rugs on the ground, and pulled out their cool boxes. John Alexander pulled out a folding table, and put it up. Then Mary put on a tablecloth and John provided a set of champagne flutes, and the champagne.

Mary and Jenny pooled the food on the table, and a veritable banquet appeared. John popped the champagne, and poured out seven glasses.

He handed a glass to everyone, even Lucy, and said, “This meeting of the clans has been a long time coming, but I would like to propose a toast to Friendship!”

They all raised and clinked their glasses, and took a sip. All that is, except Lucy, who drained hers in one go!

Lunch passed in high humour. Mary and Jenny got on famously, and John and Mark managed to find a lot to talk about. Lucy fell in love with Mark, who at 6’ 4” and very handsome, was a veritable god! She sat at his feet, and stared at him for the whole meal.

Rob and Martina lay on the rugs and watched. Mary and Jenny discussed the proposed trip to France, and Jenny thought it was a wonderful idea. Mary was all for it, for the reasons that Rob had already foreseen. It was a self-catering holiday, and she was very pleased to have Martina along to share some of the work.

John then mentioned his business trip to Southampton, and that for a week the family were looking for a hotel nearby.

“Why don’t you come and stay with us?” Jenny suggested.

“Oh, we couldn’t, it is far too short notice!” Mary said.

“Nonsense! All the beds are made up, there is plenty of room, and it would be fun. It will only be Martina and I, as Mark is off to Camberley for a course, and the others are all over the place. No, it would be fun, we’d love to have you! Besides, this way, neither of us have to put up with these two pining away!” Jenny said.

Thus it was decided, they would go in convoy to Dorset, and then on Monday John would take his car to Southampton, leaving the family with Jenny and Martina.

“There is a spare car, so you can remain independent if you want. Charles’ BMW is still in the garage, and has hardly been driven since he left. Peter and Simon have used it a bit, and I had the insurance transferred over to me. It is insured for any driver over 25, so please, feel free!” Jenny said.

After lunch, they packed away the table and the cool boxes, and went to the marquee. As with all schools, the prize giving seemed to go on forever. Martina won a prize for art, a prize for drama, a prize for music, and a prize for her athletic achievement. Rob won the prize for cricket, the prize for the best all rounder in his year, and a prize for history.

Marcus Brady had a twinkle in his eye as he watched the pair collect all their prizes. He was aware that as they went up the school, this couple would dominate such ceremonies in the future.

Once the prizes were finished, he made his short speech before the guest of honour, an ex-Broughtonian, who had achieved some success and a title as a captain of industry.

The Headmaster paid tribute to the staff over the previous year, and mentioned various pupils who had achieved success in the face of difficulties.

He then continued, …”and it has been a great pleasure to see one of our pupils attain consistently high standards in every endeavour she attempts, this is in the wake of personal difficulties and tragedies, any one of which would cause most to falter. Thus, I would like to pay my own personal tribute to Martina Bennett, not only for being constantly cheerful and helpful, but also for her personal courage and tenacity in the face of difficulty. To see her come up here to collect no less than four prizes, is testimony to her strength of character and commitment to succeed. And also, hand in hand, so to speak, I should like to mention Robert Alexander, (laughter) who has shown the value of friendship through difficulty. His unswerving devotion and loyalty, is another example of the virtues we attempt to instil in all who come to Broughton Hall.”
 
 
Rob and Martina both went crimson, and heard very little of the rest of the speeches.

Afterwards, as they both came out of the marquee, they were aware of the many looks from pupils and their guests. The truth was out, and they found the smiles of friends all around them. The past was an open book, and no one was inclined to pick it up and read it. Martina had been accepted for who she was, and no one cared who she used to be.
 
 
Chapter 10
 
 
It was the chickens that woke Martina, or rather it was the cockerel, as he announced to the surrounding French countryside, that he was awake, so everyone else may as well be too!

She lay there, with the warm morning sun already quite high and strong, finding that chink in the curtains, which gets you right in the eyes. She let her hand discover that Rob had left her, and she had a little smile. She was so glad that they no longer had to awaken before everyone else, to return to separate beds.

It was their third day in Brittany, and Martina had fallen in love with the place. They had the complete run of a converted farmhouse, which was fitted out with all mod cons, including a small, but very welcome, swimming pool!

The picturesque setting was straight from a postcard, and the smell of the surrounding forest was almost intoxicating.

The buildings had all been joined together, so what had been a very small house, had been extended into the barn and out buildings, into an ‘L’ shape, with a wonderfully sheltered courtyard, with vines growing all over the walls, and crossing on a trellis. John and Mary had the main bedroom in the house, and Lucy had the small bedroom next to them, and they shared a bathroom. The huge kitchen took all the original ground floor of the house, so Martina and Rob had the other two bedrooms upstairs in the barn.

There was an open staircase in the barn, with their two bedrooms and a second bathroom leading off it. Below them was a large open plan living area. The out buildings had a games room and a utility come washroom.

Martina looked at her watch, it was only six thirty, and she was too awake to go back to sleep now! Rob returned, and slipped into bed next to her. They snuggled up together.

“I just went to the loo, I almost went back to my bed, and then I remembered!” He told her, and she smiled. They could not really believe that Rob’s mum and dad had agreed to let them sleep together, on two conditions, one — no sex, and two — Lucy was not told, or allowed to find out. They had agreed without hesitation.

Rob held her close, and she relaxed against the warmth of his body. She smiled as his breath tickled her neck. She had never felt so happy, and she thought back of the events of the last few weeks.
 
 
At the end of speech day, Mark had given John directions to get to their house, in case they would become split up, but as it happened they stuck to the Mercedes like glue!

As ever the journey took two hours, and they arrived on the drive at a little after seven. They unloaded the cars, and while Jenny and Mary sorted out the sleeping arrangements, the men lugged the luggage around, and Martina took Lucy to the next-door neighbours to collect Turbo.

Turbo was so pleased to see Martina; she thought he was going to jump himself into a frenzy. Needless to say, he thought Lucy was equally wonderful, and decided he was equally pleased to see her too! Martina thanked Mrs Martin, who said she was always happy to have the little chap.

With Lucy holding the lead, they brought him home. Turbo made Lucy’s holiday, and she immediately started pleading with her parents to get one just like him.

Martina went up to change, and found that her room was different. Gone was her old bed, and in its place she found a large double bed. She investigated further, and found that her mother had replaced many of the beds. The house had seven bedrooms, a large double room, with en suite bathroom, which Jenny still occupied. An equally large double spare room, again with an en suite, which was reserved for guests, and which Mary and John were now ensconced, and five other rooms, one for each of the children, with two other bathrooms.

Jenny had realised that Simon and Francesca would soon require a double bed, and Peter and Rebecca already had one. Mark, the single soldier rarely came home, but Jenny hoped that eventually he would bring his bride to see her. The same for Richard, and while she was at it, she suspected that Rob and Martina were already sleeping together, and if there were not already, then it wouldn’t be long! So she put a double bed in everyone’s room.

Lucy had been put in Richard’s room, as he had gone back out to Greece to work at his friend’s water-ski school, for the holidays, and Rob was in Simon’s room.

Jenny and Martina attacked the freezer, and found sufficient food to put on a very reasonable dinner, and Mark raided his father’s cellar for a very fine couple of bottles of claret.

They had a very pleasant meal, and Mary felt that she had known Jenny for years, instead of just a few hours. Martina noticed that her mother was much more relaxed, and only now realised the toll that had been taken from her over the last few years.

Mark was a superb host, and John, not having to drive was only too happy to enjoy the wine that was produced. Mark opened a third bottle, and the girls cleared the table. Martina and Jenny refused any help in the kitchen, so Mary just explored the house.

It was a big house, built around two hundred years previously. A local landowner, Sir Thomas Pierce, had built it, in 1790, as a wedding present for his son William. Charles had bought the house on their return from India, when Martina, then Martin, had only been a baby, and they had had an extensive renovation undertaken in 1975.

It was a lovely house, and Mary, being an American, loved the old feel to it, and tried to absorb the sense of history that it seemed to exude.

She found Rob, unpacking in his room.

“This is a lovely home, isn’t it?” she said, and sat on his bed.

“Yeah, its pretty nice.” he said.

“Were you in this room last time?”

“No, I was in Mark’s room before, it’s next to Martina.” he said.

“Rob, I want to ask you something, but I want you to know that I don’t mean to pry. Its just that you are at a critical age and everything.” Mary paused, as she tried to work out how to put this. Rob thought he knew what was coming, and decided to pre-empt the question.

“If you are going to ask me whether Martina and I have ever slept together, the answer is yes, but if the question relates to whether we have ever had sex, then the answer is no! Mum, we are not kids, we are aware of the consequences of sex.

“Look, I can’t and won’t lie. I love Martina, and I know that she loves me. As things stand, I can think of no reason that will prevent us growing old together. We sleep together at every opportunity, but that is all we do, sleep! Well, almost all!” Rob said, with a little smile. “We have decided, together, that full sex will wait for the right moment. Being fifteen is not the right moment, and neither of us is prepared to do anything that we could ever regret!” Rob finished, and Mary sat back.

“Oh, Robbie! You are so grown up now! I had a feeling that you two slept together when she stayed last Easter, was I right?” she asked.

“Yes, we’ve been sleeping, and I do mean sleeping, together for two years!” he said.

Mary laughed. “She is a very attractive girl, how can you keep from wanting to make love to her?” she asked, genuinely curious.

“I don’t, as every time we see each other, we both want to make love. But we both realise that that is something you have a first time only once, and our first time is going to be the best!” he replied with a grin.

“I was about your age when I had my first time.” she admitted. “And I wish to hell I had waited a little longer. But I can’t say I loved the guy, I thought I did, but not like you two. Hell Rob, you two are the nearest thing to a married couple as any other couple I know!”

Rob said nothing, he wasn’t used to talking like this with his mother.

“Do either of you take precautions?” she asked.

“She isn’t on the pill, she agreed to wait until she was sixteen, and I haven’t yet. But I always carry a small supply, just in case the first time is sprung upon me!” he said.

Mary looked at this solemn boy, who was wiser beyond her comprehension. She felt proud that these two young people were so responsible, in a world that seemed to be going in the opposite direction.

“Listen Robbie, I want you to know that I have the utmost respect for the way you have both conducted your relationship, so far. Never have you embarrassed or shocked us, and never have you let either us, or Jenny, down. So I want you to know, that when you are together, staying under our roof, or like the French place, one we are renting, your father and I will allow you to share a bed. But there are conditions.

“One, you are not to have sex until it is legal, and you are both over 16, and then, only with full protection. Two, you never, ever, let Lucy see you in bed together, and she must never know, at least until you are a bit older! And, three, Martina’s mum is informed and agrees! Okay?”

Rob had been rendered speechless in the past, but never so completely, and unexpectedly. He just stared at his mother.

“John and I talked it over a lot recently, and we couldn’t bear to see you scurrying about in the middle of the night, and we want you to be happy!” Mary said, with a smile. “You both deserve a little happiness!”

“I really don’t know what to say, mum. Thanks?” Rob said, quite honestly.

Mary stood up, and hugged him.

“You are welcome. And I did notice she wears the ring on her left hand, too!” Mary said. Rob just smiled.

“All I ask, is that you give yourselves room to live, you don’t want to get so stuck, that you can’t spread your wings!” Mary said.

“We won’t, Mum. Martina will be a singer and probably an actress, and I will be what I will be. But, we will also be together. That is one certainty!” Rob declared, and Mary didn’t doubt it.

They went back down stairs, and Mary watched with a smile as Rob physically dragged Martina out of the kitchen.

“What is that all about?” Jenny asked.

“I’ll tell you in a minute.” said Mary, and told Lucy to go up to bed.

“Can I have Turbo on my bed?” she asked Jenny.

“You will have to ask Martina, he usually sleeps with her!” Jenny told the little girl. Mary had to look away, and smile.

“If you take him up with you, and I’ll ask Martina when she comes back. Okay?” Mary said.

“Okay. Good night, Jenny. Thank you for having us, this is much nicer than a hotel!” Lucy said.

“Your welcome, Lucy. Good night.”

Lucy went out, holding a wriggling Turbo.

“I’ll be up in a few minutes, Hon!” Mary said to her retreating back.

“She is delightful!” Jenny observed.

“No less than your daughter!” Mary said.

“Thanks, Martina is very different, though. We sort of missed out on the little girly bit, and I feel very sad about that!” Jenny admitted.

“What’s done is done!” Mary said. “But I need to talk to you about what is yet to be done.”

Jenny frowned, “What do you mean?” she asked.

“Are you aware that Rob and Martina have been sleeping together for a long time?” Mary asked, rather bluntly.

“I had my suspicions. They aren’t awfully good at sneaking about!” she said, smiling.

“Exactly. And did you also know that they have both agreed not to have sex until the time is right, and certainly not until they are sixteen!” Mary asked.

Jenny laughed. “The little tart! I’ll kill her!” she said.

It was Mary’s turn to frown.

“I admitted that I had first had sex when I was fifteen! Actually that was in the States, as it happened.” Jenny said.

“So did I, but I can’t say the earth moved for me!” Mary said.

“Me neither!” admitted Jenny, and both women burst out laughing.

When they had recovered, Mary said, “I’ve told Rob that we will allow him and Martina to share a bed in whatever house we happen to be in charge of. But on the conditions that they don’t have sex until it is legal, they take precautions and Lucy doesn’t get to find out!

“I also said that you would have to agree!” Mary added.

Jenny was almost as speechless as Rob had been.

“I had thought about offering them the same deal, but I decided that it would be unfair to ask you. Thank you for having more guts that I. I think it is a very sound idea, in the circumstances!” Jenny said.

“Did you notice the ring?” Mary asked.

“It was the first thing I noticed when I arrived at the school at half term.” Jenny said.

Rob and Martina were out on the patio. Martina had had to sit down. Rob had told her the plan, and she felt physically winded.

“Mummy will never go for it!” Martina said.

“Why not?” Rob asked.

Martina shrugged. She couldn’t think of a reason.

Rob sat beside her.

“It will mean that we can both get a full night’s sleep now!” he joked.

They sat for a while, just thinking about the enormity of what had happened.

“Were we obvious, or something?” Martina asked.

Rob shrugged. “I thought we were pretty subtle!” he said.

“Not subtle enough!” said John, as he and the two mothers joined them. It was a lovely night, and Mark followed, still holding his wine glass.

They all sat round on the chairs.

Rob and Martina felt awful, and guilty of something.

John laughed, and said, “Relax, you two. For goodness sakes! We were all your age at some time or other. We just want you both to know, that we all love you both, and you have our blessings. We know that you have been sleeping together for ages, and there is little point in pretending any more. So we thought that if we take away the mystique and risk, then we shall all rest easier at night. If you accept the conditions, we have to acknowledge that if our customs and laws were different, you would probably already be married. But you might as well relax and enjoy a little freedom. Do you both accept the conditions?” he asked.

Martina looked at her mother.

“Mummy?”

“Only if you beat my record!” Jenny said with a little smile. “And what goes for their home goes for here too!”

Martina smiled, and said, “Thank you.” Mark noticed that there were tears in her eyes.

“Oh, and Martina?” Mary said.

“Yes?”

“Lucy wants to know whether she can have Turbo on her bed while she is here!”

Martina looked at Rob, and smiled. “Of course, my bed may be a little crowded!”

“Why don’t you tell her yourself, and say goodnight at the same time?” Mary asked.

Martina and Rob went up to find Lucy under her bedclothes with Turbo pouncing on her from above.

“Lucy?” Martina said.

“Mmmm?”

“Why don’t you keep Turbo with you, just while you are staying with us?” she said.

Lucy’s head appeared at the bottom of the bed, and immediately got pounced on, and licked by the little dog.

“Can I?” she asked.

“Of course, but if he wants to go out, you must take him down and put him out. He is very good, but you never know. He ought to go out now, and that way he should last until the morning!” Martina said.

“Oh, thanks, Martina! Come on Turbo, outies!” And the pair of them shot down stairs again.

Rob kissed Martina, and said, “Your bed or mine?”

“I care?” she said.

Rob smiled. “Yours then, your home your bed, my home, my bed.”

“Our home our bed! One day!” she said, and kissed him again.
 
 
Lucy came racing back upstairs, but was beaten to it by the little Jack Russell. He was in no doubt where he was sleeping, and was on her bed waiting for her when she arrived back, his tail wagging, and tongue out!

They said good night to her, and Mary and John came in to tuck her up. Not that sleep was anywhere on Lucy’s agenda for a while!

Jenny kissed her daughter, and gave Rob a hug. Mark bade everyone a rather sloshed goodnight, and went to bed. John and Mary said goodnight, and went to their room. They were alone, and felt awkward.

Rob went to collect his things, and visited the bathroom on the way back. He found Martina not in her room, as she had gone to the other bathroom. He got undressed, and put on his shorts. He went over to the window, and looked at the distant sea, with the lights of the ships glinting in the dark.

Martina returned, and she was still dressed.

“Can you believe this?” he asked.

She shook her head, and they both realised, that she had never undressed in front of him, ever, as a girl, that is.

He went over to her, and held her. She looked up at him, feeling very vulnerable.

“No sex?” she said.

“Bummer!” he said, and she laughed.

“Do you want me to look the other way?” he offered.

She smiled and shook her head.

“Go and lie down!” she said. And Rob went and lay on the bed, with his hands behind his head, watching her.

She started to dance, not a frenetic dance, but a gentle swaying sort of dance. She looked at him from under her eyelashes, and tossed her long hair with her hand, and started to wiggle her hips in a very erotic movement.

Then she turned her back to him and made her bottom start a sort of rotating motion, as she undid her blouse. She curled the blouse over first one shoulder, and then the other, still with her back to Rob, who was feeling the pressure.

She slowly lowered the blouse down her back, and then tossed it onto a chair, as she crossed her arms across her breasts, and faced him again. She came right up to him, and kissed him, and he reached for her. She danced out of his reach, and kicked her shoes off. Still with her arms crossed in front, she slipped the bra’s shoulder straps off her shoulders, and revealed first one breast, and then the other, as she took the bra to her waist, and then discarded it into a corner.

Rob had an enormous erection by this time!

She slipped her skirt down, and took off her tights, while lying on her back on the end of the bed. She flicked the tights at Rob, who caught them.

She stood before him, with only her knickers on now.

She slowly turned around, bringing one knee up to her breast, and placed one hand under her bottom, then, slipping the hand down the knickers waistband, she partially removed them, allowing him a glimpse of the blonde pubic hair beneath.

She turned away from him, slipping the knickers down below her bottom, and bent over with her legs together. She then sat back onto the bed and raised both legs in the air, and flicked her knickers away.

Then, she rolled onto her tummy, and began to kiss Rob‘s feet, then his knees, and then his thighs and he could feel her soft breasts against him. Her hair swished against him, all the way up to his groin.

She looked at him, and licked her lips.

“I really want you now, but I know that we will wait, just a little longer. But I will show you that I can still please my man!”

She slipped his shorts off, revealing his cock. She smiled and looked at it.

“I want you inside me, and if you cant go in where you were designed to go, I shall just have to eat you!” she said to it.

He felt her mouth surround the end of his throbbing cock, and gasped as her tongue danced around the end. Her fingers tightened around his shaft, and they slid down, as she took more and more of him into her mouth.

She almost managed to get him all in, and he felt the back of her throat on the end of his cock. The she let his slide out again, then in, then out. He felt himself respond and started thrusting into her mouth, and she stayed still, allowing him to do the work. Her fingers gently caressing his balls, and her other hand on his shaft, just stopping him going in too far!

He was thrusting quicker and quicker, and he felt himself approaching orgasm. He couldn’t hold himself back, he shuddered and ejaculated as he thrust upwards deep into her throat.

She held him in her mouth, until she felt him start to soften.

She released him, and licked his balls, he squirmed, and she let her tongue dance across his bare tummy, and she licked his navel. Then was at his pecs, and kissing his chest, her breasts were now over his genitals, and he felt his cock twitch.

She smiled, and kissed him on the mouth, and her tongue thrust itself deep into his throat. He held her close, and gently rolled her onto her back, still kissing her deeply.

He let one hand find her warm and very wet pussy, and he started to rub. She moaned, and grabbed his head holding him close to her. Despite having come once, he felt himself begin to harden again, but he kept rubbing her, she moaned and shuddered as she came. He inserted two fingers into her, and thrust deep inside. She started to rock, in time with his thrusts, and he felt a warm gush of fluid as she came again.

He moved, and let his tongue find her little clitoris, and she almost screamed, flinging her pelvis forward, and she came again.

He was fully erect again now, and she grabbed it. She looked at him, and he looked at her. He was the closest he had ever been to thrusting himself deep into her, and they both knew it, and wanted it! The moment passed, and she made him lay on her, so his cock was between her breasts, and he started rubbing himself up and down. He had one knee between her kegs, and she gripped him tightly, rubbing herself on his knee.

He got faster and faster, and she kept pace with him. Then finally he came all over her breasts, and she came at exactly the same moment.

He rubbed his fluid across her breasts with his hand and rubbed her nipples, as she held him close, feeling his cock start to shrink again. His rubbing her tits brought her to one final climax!

He finally collapsed beside her, and she reached for the tissue box.

“Who needs sex with you around?” he said.

“I do. I really wanted you then. I don’t know if I can wait much longer, Robbie!” she said, stroking his thigh.

They cleaned themselves up, and both giggled at the amount of squishy mess they had made. He went over to his clothes and pulled out his wallet. He showed her the three condoms that he always carried with him.

She stared at them, and swallowed.

“Tempting, but no, Robbie. Not yet. By all means wear one, that way we won’t get a little wriggler into me by mistake, but we promised!”

“Well, now we know!” he said.

“Now we know what?” She said.

“If all else fails, you would make one bloody good stripper!” he told her.

They put on their nightclothes, and got into bed. Martina snuggled up to him, and they went to sleep.
 
 
The weekend went quickly, and Mark set of on Sunday for Camberley, and John disappeared to Southampton on Monday morning. His conference was at one of the big centres, and it included his room. He wasn’t sure whether he would stay, and said he would ring Mary and let her know.

Jenny and Mary had done a little food shopping on the Sunday morning, just a few bare essentials. But they needed to do some serious shopping on Monday, so they set off for some serious shops.

Lucy was blissfully happy looking after Turbo, and didn’t care about anything else. Martina and Rob went for long walks with the little dog, and his new friend. Their house was on the edge of the Isle of Purbeck, and the walks were fantastic. They saw lots of wildlife such as deer and various birds of prey. They were so content to be with each other, that they weren’t really bothered what they were doing.

As they were so close to the glorious beach at Studland, Jenny and Mary made up picnics, and they piled into the car. They parked at the Middle beach car park, and found a spot, just above the sand, in amongst the grassy clumps. That way, the little dog was kept off the main beach, and they were a little sheltered.

Martina and Rob spent hours in the water, and Martina didn’t try to go eel catching again. Martina had her own sexy black bikini now, and didn’t need to borrow her mum’s. Jenny thought it was almost too indecent, but it covered the bits that mattered, just!

On the Wednesday, they were having a splashing competition at about chest depth, when Martina heard her voice being called.

She couldn’t see anyone, but the call was repeated.

She saw someone waving from one of the speedboats moored in the shallows, and she shielded the sun from her eyes with her hand.

It was Caroline.

She waved back, and swam over to the boat.

Caroline was in a blue bikini, and was with a very tanned boy, who looked a little older than she.

“Hi Caroline! How are you, I haven’t seen you for ages?” she said. She heard Rob splash up behind her.

“I thought it was you! Hi Martina, hi Rob. This is Gary, this is his Dad’s boat.” Caroline said. “Gary, this is Martina, I have known her for years! And that is Rob, Martina’s boyfriend.”

They nodded at each other.

“Do you want to come out on the boat?” Gary asked.

“Oh, yeah! I’ll just tell Mummy, do we need anything?” Martina said.

“No, we’ve got wet suits if you want to ski.” Gary said.

Martina went and told Jenny what was going on, and Jenny looked a bit dubious.

“Let them go Jen!” said Mary. “They are big kids now!”

Gary was seventeen, and his father had taught him to drive the boat when he was about fourteen, and he was obviously adept at it. He had being ‘going out’ with Caroline only for a few weeks, and they were still at the ‘I have got to touch you at every opportunity’ stage.

There were three or four one-piece short wet suits in the boat, which was a 17’ Fletcher, with a Mercury 120Hp outboard engine on the back.

Neither Rob. Nor Martina had ever tried Water skiing, but they were both able to snow ski. Gary gave them each a wet suit and a ski jacket.

“The trick is to let the boat do all the work, all you have to do is keep your legs flexed and your arms straight. But, unlike snow skiing, you can’t edge your skis in quite the same way. If you want to turn, just point your feet in the direction you want to go, the little fins on the back of the skis will act as rudders.” Gary told them.

Rob went first, and put the skis on whilst sitting on the back of the boat. Then he slid into the sea and sat in the water as instructed. Gary took up the slack and Rob shouted, “GO!”

The bow of the boat raised, as the propeller dug in, and launched the boat forward. There was a mass of spray where Rob should have been. And then the rope disappeared under water!

Rob had bent his arms, then straightened his legs, and come straight forward out of his skis. Then, instead of letting go of the rope, he hung on, and did his submarine impression.

Garry cut the power, and Rob surfaced couching and spluttering. Martina laughed so much, she though she would die!

The next attempt Rob went off to one side, and the time after that, he came out forwards again, but this time he let go in time!

He, wisely, decided to have a rest, and let Martina have a go.

She put on the skis, and slipped into the water. Gary had said, “Arms straight, legs flexed!” So she repeated this over and over again.

She got the handle in her hands, and sat in the water with the rope passing between the tips of the skis.

“Arms straight, legs flexed!” she told herself.

Gary took up the slack, and watched her. She felt herself being pulled slowly through the water, and tried to keep herself straight.

“GO!” she yelled, and suddenly she was pulled out of the water.

“Arms straight, legs flexed!”

The water rushed under her skis, and she pushed her pelvis forward, so she didn’t have to bend her arms, she kept her legs flexed to take the bumps, and she realised that she was up, wobbly, but up!

Gary adjusted the speed so she wasn’t going too fast, and she was thrilled, the wake of the boat made a big “V” in which she tried to stay in the middle, as she didn’t like the look of the waves at the side of the wake.

The propeller made a line of turbulence down the middle of the wake, so she pointed her feet so as to get between the turbulence and the outer waves.

Gary started a slow turn to the right, and before she knew it she was at the edge of the wake, and her left ski crossed it, leaving her right ski inside. She started to do the splits and felt she was about to fall, so she let go, and sank gracefully into the water, without losing a ski!

Gary brought the boat back, and everyone was very pleased for her, she had another go, and managed the next turn, by pointing her feet and leaning the way she wanted to go. She managed to stay up for several minutes, and felt she was getting tired. A large boat came in from the sea, and Gary tried to avoid its wake. But he couldn’t entirely, and Martina saw these huge waves approaching, so she let go.

She was totally exhausted, but thrilled. It had been as exhilarating as snow skiing!

She made Rob have another go, and the look of determination on his face was frightening.

He managed to get up on his third attempt, and hung on grimly with his bum sticking out. He just hung on, round two corners, and over one side of the wake, more by accident than design. Eventually falling when he crossed the wake of another boat.

Gary asked Rob if he could drive the boat for him, and Rob said that he would have a go. Gary showed him the controls, and Rob thought he could manage it.

“Just take it up to about 38mph, and hold it, all you need to do is keep well clear of other boats, and beware of skiers in the water!”

Gary slipped on hi mono-ski, and jumped into the water. Rob took up the slack, and pointed in a straight line.

“Pull!” shouted Gary, and Rob pushed the throttle straight forward.

Gary came up, and Rob checked the speed. Gary shot across the wake on the left, turned sharply with his shoulder nearly touching the water, and shot across the wake and over onto the right. He was very good, and kept this up for ages.

Rob reached the rocks near Old Harry, so he turned and came back along the line of speed buoys. Gary kept up his slaloms all the way back, until he shook his head and threw the handle up, he then finished gracefully.

Rob cut the speed, and turned round, bringing the boat along side the boy.

“Thanks Rob! That was perfect. You are the first person I have found who is willing to drive for me, that’s brilliant.”

He clambered up the ladder at the stern, and took off his jacket.

“Are you sure you don’t want to try, Caroline? Martina did it first time!” Gary said.

Caroline shook her head.

“No thanks, I really hate getting water in my ears, and I have still got a sore leg from my riding accident.” Caroline said.

“Okay. Martina, would you like another go?”

“Could I?” she said.

“Of course.” Gary said.

She was in the water before he changed his mind.

“Pull!” she said, and she was back up behind the boat.

This time she tried more control, and managed to cross the wake on both sides. Gary took her a little faster, and she found it a little frightening at first, as the water rushed past very fast! But she began to get used to it, and became more adventurous, crossing both wakes at once, getting up some speed. Eventually, she could not hang on any longer, and just let go, sinking gratefully into the sea.

When the boat came to pick her up, she was almost too tired to pull herself up the ladder. But she managed it and sat back on the back seat next to Rob.

“That was fantastic!” said Gary.

Caroline was looking more than a little miffed, and Rob was getting jealous.

“Thanks, it is really great. Rob, sweetie, why don’t you have another go?”

“Can I?” he asked Gary.

“Sure.” He replied.

Rob jumped in, and very soon he was up and trying to out-ski Martina. He was certainly very energetic, if lacking her grace!

He hung on through all the bumps, and managed to cross both wakes. Gary was getting bored so he opened the throttle a little more!

Rob shot across the wake and was out as far as her could go, he grinned and waved. He shouldn’t have waved, because his left ski tipped the wave, and he somersaulted in a tangle of arms and legs and spray.

When he surfaced he was facing the wrong way, and his skis were 20 feet apart. Fortunately his feet were no longer in them!

He clambered back into the boat with an enormous grin on his face. He kissed Martina, and she realised that they now had something else in common.

“That was brilliant, Gary! Thanks!” Rob said, as he got his breath back.

“I’m very impressed with both of you, it is rare to get beginners who manage to do as well as you have on their first try.” he told them.

Rob drove one more time for Gary. Who had a great ski, and he ended up under the cliffs at Old Harry. Martina took off her wetsuit, and was sunning herself at the back of the boat. Gary came back on board and pulled in the rope. Then he started back. Rob was at the front, standing behind Gary. He looked at Martina, with her dark glasses on, and her long blonde hair streaming out behind her. She looked like one of the girls from the Bond movies. Her figure was so perfect, with her full breasts straining at their skimpy restraint, and her long tanned legs stretched out luxuriously in front of her. He tummy was flat, and firm. Rob loved her so much he ached.

He had great difficulty coming to terms with the fact that at one time she had been a rather unhappy little boy called Martin. He shook his head. There was no doubt, that she was now what she should always have been!

Gary turned and grinned at Rob, and let him drive around the back of Old Harry Rocks, and along the spectacular white cliffs towards Swanage. They saw the caves and watched the sea birds diving after the fish. Martina was allowed to drive it back, and she loved the thrill of the speed, and the wind in her hair.

They passed a big flashy gin-palace of a motor yacht, and there were several young men on board. They saw Martina and Caroline and waved and whistled, and the girls waved back.

She drove it slowly towards the beach, and Gary took over in the shallows. He raised the engine, and turned it off. Rob threw out the anchor, and they sat in the sun for a bit. Caroline became tactile with Gary, and Martina grinned at Rob.

They thanked him very much and asked whether they wanted to join them for lunch. They politely declined, and Rob and Martina jumped off the boat and made for the shore.

They had lunch, and afterwards, they went with Lucy and Turbo, into the nature reserve for a long walk. Jenny and Mary browsed in the National trust shop, and just enjoyed having no pressures.

Mary bought a best seller she had been meaning to for ages, and Jenny bought a book on birds. They walked back to their spot, and just sat and read, chatting about anything and everything. They were becoming very good friends, and Mary was learning something of the troubles that Jenny had experienced over the last few years. In particular, her loneliness!

Jenny, on the other hand, loved having someone to talk to who came with no preconceived ideas about her situation, and enjoyed hearing about Mary’s life and trials.

When Mary told her about her dream of designing her own clothes, and of Martina’s suggestion to start her own business, Jenny was really supportive and encouraging.

Jokingly, she said, “If you do, I shall come and work for you as your secretary, as that was my training. All I can do is type and a little book-keeping!”

They talked about what was needed to start such a venture, and Mary found that Jenny had a very keen business mind, and a germ of an idea was born.
 
 
The week continued, as did the fine weather. Rob and Martina spent as much time on Gary’s boat as they felt was polite, and even persuaded Caroline to have a go on the skis. Much to everyone’s surprise, she managed to get up and go along a bit!

Gary was thrilled, and Caroline now became really enthusiastic over the sport.
 
 
The weekend arrived and John returned from his conference in Southampton. The Alexanders set off back to Scotland on the Sunday morning, and arranged to return in two weeks time, en route for France. They were due to catch the ferry to St. Malo from Southampton on the 3rd August. They would stay with Jenny on the evening of the 2nd, and again on their return on the 17th.
 
 
Chapter 11
 
 
Martina finally kicked Rob out of bed, and they had a shower together. Ever since they had been permitted to sleep together, their relationship had further deepened. They still adored each other, yet were prepared to give plenty of space to the other.

Rob was in shorts and a tee shirt, and Martina had on one of her short skirts, and a sleeveless top. Her long tanned legs made Rob feel very horny, and she told him to go and have a cold shower.

They ambled down for breakfast, and had hot chocolate and croissants. Mary and John were flopping about in dressing gowns, and everyone was very relaxed. Lucy had made friends with the daughter of the French family next door, and despite a language barrier, they were getting on famously.

The coast was a matter of a five-minute drive away, but John and Mary were quite happy lounging about the house during the morning. Often they would go for an exploratory drive, and have lunch in a café somewhere, and then on somewhere else for dinner.

Today, Mary was planning a trip to the local town to buy some food for dinner. The kitchen was well equipped, and she and Martina were going off shortly. Rob and his father were going to try to hire some bicycles, as they had heard that a local farmer had a side line in the summer, and Lucy was already round at next door.

The two women got into the Range Rover, and Mary drove into the little town some four km away. They parked in the village square, and walked round the shops. Mary spoke a very little French, and they went into the butchers, and looked at what was on offer.

Mary tried to explain that she wanted some different things for the barbeque, but she was stuck for the words.

Martina pushed forward, and said, “Bonjour Monsieur, j'aimerais des plusieurs viandes convenable pour le barbeque. Peut-áªtre quelques portions du poulet, dix saucisses et cinq kebabs, s'il vous plaá®t.”

“Certainement, madamoiselle. Est-ce que vous aimeriez flancher poitrines ou jambes?” the butcher asked.

“Les poitrines s'il vous plaá®t, et peut est-ce que vous laissez la peau sur?” Martina asked.

“What is going on?” Mary asked.

“I just asked for some chicken breasts, some sausages and a few kebabs. I asked him to leave the skin on the chicken.” Martina explained.

The butcher handed over the package, and mentioned the price.

“I got that part, Martina.” Mary said, as she dug in her purse for the cash.

“Merci Madam, Madamoiselle, Au revoir!” the butcher said.

“Merci. Au revoir!” said Martina, as they walked out.

“You speak very good French, is that from school?” Mary asked.

“Yes, this is the first time I have been to France.” Martina said.

Mary shook her head, as the girl was just so confident, nothing seemed to shake her.

They went into the bakers, and Mary told Martina that she wanted some more croissants, a couple of French sticks, and some rolls for the barbeque.

“Bonjour, madame, peut j'ai dix croissants, deux baguettes, et dix petits pains doux, s'il vous plait?” Martina said.

The items were gathered and the woman asked. “Est-ce que vous aimeriez un sac, ou vous a a apporté votre possá¨de?”

“J'aimerais un sac, s'il vous plaá®t.” Martina replied.

Their bread was put into a bag, and Mary paid for them, and they left.

“Now we need some salad stuff, there is a small supermarket there, lets help ourselves.” Mary said.

They went into the supermarket, and Mary found the vegetable section. She selected some tomatoes and a lettuce and cucumber. They found the butter and jam, and some relishes. Mary was rooting about in the freezer, and Martina selected some cooking apples and some other fruit. She added some flour and sugar, and mentally checked off her list as she went. Then, after she had everything she thought she needed, she went to the wine section.

She was no great expert, and there was a young lad stacking the shelves.

“Excuse moi, quel est des vins locaux la meilleure valeur?” she asked, wanting to know which of the local wine was the best value.

The lad was bored, and he half turned about to shrug his shoulders. Then he saw Martina, and his whole attitude changed. Martina thought it was her legs that did it, and Mary would say that it was the whole package!

He immediately stood up, and wiped his hands on his overalls. He held his hand out, and she took it.

“Bonjour Mam’selle, quel est-ce que genre de vin vous fait aime?” he asked, wanting to know what she liked.

She shrugged and replied, “C'est mon premier temps ici, et j'aimerais quelque ce n'est pas sec aussi, cependant avait un goá»t plein.” she explained she had never been here before, and just wanted a tasty wine, that was not too dry.

“Vin rouge ou blanc?” he asked her.

“Les deux, s'il vous plaá®t.”

The lad turned and took down a couple of bottles from the shelf, one white and the other red.

“Ceux-ci sont mon favourites, et ils ne sont pas trop chers. Ils sont grand avec nourriture.” He said.

“Bon. J'aurai six de chaque, s'il vous plaá®t!” she said, as Mary came over to her.

“Six de chaque? Certainement, a permis j'obtient une boá®te car vous.” the lad said, and went to get her a box.

“What are you doing?” Mary asked.

“I’ve just found out the best local wine, and I am getting six red and six white. Is that okay?” Martina asked.

The lad came back, and Mary had to smile, he had taken the brief time away to brush his hair. Martina had made yet another conquest.

“Oh! J'aimerais un cageot de biá¨re, comme bien, s'il vous plait.” she asked.

“Oui.”

And off he went again, returning with a crate of beer.

He heard Mary and Martina talking, and he frowned. Then he said, “Est-ce que vous n'áªtes pas français? J'ai pensé vous étiez français!”

Martina laughed, and said, “Pas de qui je suis anglais, mais merci, je ne savais pas que mon accent est aussi bon que ce.”

“What did he say?” Mary asked.

“He was surprised that I was not French, he thought that I was. My accent must be that good!” Martina said.

“Qu'est-ce que votre nom est, et est vous reste proche ici?” the lad asked.

“Mon nom est Martina, et je reste environ cinq kilometres d'ici avec mon petit ami et ses parents.” Martina said to the boy, and then to Mary, “I have told him I am staying with my boyfriend and his parents.”

“Est-ce que vous avez un petit ami?” the lad said, disappointed.

“Oui, je suis désolée.” Martina said.

They took their purchases to the checkout, and Martina’s new friend came too.

“Est-ce que je porterai ce á  votre voiture, si est-ce que vous aimez?” he said.

“He will carry the boxes to the car for us.” She explained to Mary.

“You seem to have a knack in getting young men to do things for you!” Mary said.

“Good, isn’t it?” Martina asked with a huge grin.

Mary smiled and shook her head.

“Merci, ce serait trá¨s genre.” Martina said, with one of her smiles.

The lad went a bit weak at the knees, but managed to carry the boxes to the Range Rover. Mary opened it the back, and lowered the tailgate. The lad slid the boxes in.

“Merci, vous avez été trá¨s serviable. Qu'est-ce que votre nom? Martina asked.

“Mon nom est Jean, et il était un plaisir. Est-ce que vous áªtes ici long?” he asked.

"Deux semaines." Martina replied. “Au revoir, Jean.”

“Au revoir, Martina, et Madame.” he said, as they got into the car and drove off.

“Well, you continue to surprise us!” Mary said.

Martina laughed. “I’m really pleased, it’s quite easy. I have learned French since I was eight, and this is the first time I have ever used it for real!”

They arrived back at the house, and saw that John and Rob had managed to acquire five bicycles, which were now leaning against the wall.

They unpacked the car, and took the food into the kitchen. Rob was in the pool, and John was reading a newspaper.

“Well, that was easy!” Mary said, as she put the bags on the table. Martina carried in the box of wine, and put in on the floor. She then went back out, and returned with the crate of beer. She put two bottles of white wine and half of the beer in the fridge.

“Oh! Why was that?” John asked.

“Martina here speaks fluent French, and she charms some little French lad into carrying most of the shopping to the car. Honestly, he thought she was French, and was very surprised to hear that she wasn’t.” Mary explained, and started to put the food away. “I see you managed to get some bikes? I hope you don’t expect me to go for some marathon ride?”

“I just thought we could see a little of the countryside, while we were here. John said.

“And just what is wrong with seeing from an air conditioned Range Rover?” Mary asked.

“Oh, Mary! Sometimes you are just too bloody American!” John said, laughing.

That afternoon, they all set off down the little lane that ran along side the house. This took them down to a river, and the track followed the river for a couple of miles. They came to a bridge, and a main road. About a hundred yards before the bridge was a lovely grassy bank leading down to the river. They had a rest here, and Mary watched as Martina stripped off to reveal her bikini, and jumped into the river. A truck went past, and the driver honked his horn, and she waved.

Rob took off his shorts and dived in. Mary watched them for a moment, and then Lucy asked if she could go in. Mary looked at her, nodded, and then stripped off herself, and jumped into the water, leaving John staring at them all. He shrugged and followed suit.

The water was lovely, and they had a super time. They got out and lay in the sun on the grassy bank. The sun was so hot they didn’t need towels, and were very soon dry!

Mary looked at Martina, and had to admire the younger girl’s figure, she was really stunning. She was tall, nearly 5’ 9”, and her legs looked as if they went on forever! Mary looked at Rob, who was filling out a lot now. He was well over six feet, and very broad. He was a strong lad, and had inherited his father’s dark hair, and swarthy complexion. They made a lovely couple, and she watched them as they innocently interacted with each other.

They were very relaxed and natural, and Mary noted they were very intimate and loving. They used touch and smiles all the time, and Mary remembered that she and John used to be as tactile, once! She went to where John was lying on his back. She lay down beside him, and he put his arm around her shoulders, they had a little cuddle.

“Happy?” he asked.

“Very.” she said. “You?”

“The same. We should do this more often.” he said.

“We will, when the children have left home and we are alone.” Mary said.

“Oh, I don’t know, it is rather nice having the children, particularly as two of them are hardly children any more! Besides, they are now becoming more like friends than offspring, and it makes it more fun somehow!” John said.

They both watched the younger couple for a moment, and John said, “We were like that, a long time ago!”

“I was thinking that too!” Mary said, watching Martina chase Rob with a thistle. Rob grabbed her and they had a little wrestle. Martina ended up flat on her back, and he was on top of her. He took the thistle from her, and threatened to place it somewhere quite inappropriate. She giggled and screamed, and Rob ended up kissing her. That shut her up.

John wrapped his arms around Mary, and they kissed too, it seemed the right thing to do. Lucy made a rude noise with her tongue.
 
 
They eventually continued their cycle ride, and stopped off in the same town that Mary and Martina had been shopping. They parked the bikes, and sat at a table in the little square.

It was about five pm, and it was still very warm.

“What would you all like?” John asked.

“Can I have a chocolate milkshake, please Daddy?” asked Lucy.

“A glass of cold white wine sound nice.” said Mary.

“Beer please, Dad.” said Rob, hopefully.

Martina thought for a moment, “The same?” she said, doubtfully.

Right, how do I ask for three beers, a milk shake and a glass of cold white wine?” he asked.

"J'aimerais trois biá¨res froides, un verre froid de vin blanc, et un chocolat trait la secousse, s'il vous plaá®t" said Martina, casually.

“Ah, then could you order it, please Martina, I’ll never remember that lot!” John said.

The waiter came over to their table.

“Bonjour, quel peut est-ce que je vous obtiens aujourd'hui?”

"Bonjour. J'aimerais trois biá¨res froides, un verre froid de vin blanc, et un chocolat trait la secousse, s'il vous plaá®t" said Martina.

“D'accord, est-ce que n'importe quoi manger?” he asked.

“He wants to know if we want anything to eat?” Martina translated.

“Can I have an ice cream?” asked Lucy.

“That sounds nice! Why don’t we all have an ice cream?” asked Mary.

“What flavours?” asked John.

“Est-ce que vous avez de la glace?” she asked.

“Oui.”

“Quelles variétés?”

“Fraise, framboise, chocolat, vanille, banane, et páªche” he replied.

“Strawberry, raspberry, chocolate, vanilla, banana, and peach.” she translated.

They made their selection, and the waiter left.

“You speak the lingo very well, Martina. How come Rob doesn’t, yet he’s been doing French for as long as you?” John asked.

She shrugged. “I suppose we each have our strong and less strong subjects. Mine is languages. His is science and technology,” she said.

They watched the world go by, and the lad from the supermarket, Jean, walked past. He glanced their way, and saw Martina. He came over.

“Salut Martina! Il est agréable vous voir encore. Est-ce que c'est votre petit ami, et sa famille?” he asked.

"Bonjour Jean. Oui, c'est Rob, c'est son pá¨re, John, et sa má¨re Mary, et sa soeur Lucy." Martina said.

Rob stood up, and Jean paled a little as he saw his size, but Rob grinned and held out his hand.

“Bonjour Jean, je suis Rob. Je suis voulue vous rencontrer. Merci d'aider mon fiancée ce matin.” Rob said, with a Scottish accent. They shook hands.

Mary only noted the word fiancée, and smiled.

Jean glanced at Martina’s left hand, and saw the ring.

He smiled, and said, “J'espá¨re que vous aimez votre fáªte. Vous áªtes trá¨s fortuné, elle est trá¨s belle!”

Martina blushed, and Rob said, “Merci, je sais qu'elle est. Je sais aussi comment fortuné je suis!”

Jean waved, and said, “Au revoir!”

The waiter arrived as Jean was leaving.

“Hé Jean, vous fait sait ces personnes?” The waiter asked.

“Oui, ils ont hérité du magasin ce matin.” Jean replied, and walked off.

“What was that about?” John asked.

“The waiter wanted to know how Jean knew us, so he told him we’d been in the shop earlier.” Martina explained.

“Why they can’t all speak English, it beats me!” Complained John.

They were given their drinks and the ice creams. Martina had the peach and it was lovely.

She sipped her beer, normally in England, she didn’t like it much, but this was quite nice.

When they had finished, John paid, and they got back on the bikes for the last five km.

They arrived back at half past six, and Mary was completely exhausted. She had really enjoyed the day, but she knew that she would be very stiff for the next week! She went up to have a shower and change.

Martina went straight to the kitchen, and started making the salads. She made a marinade and took the meat out and put it in to soak. She then made a salad dressing with olive oil, garlic and vinegar. She chopped up some apples, made some pastry, rolled it out and made an apple pie, popping it into the oven. John and Rob lit the barbeque, and opened a couple of beers.

“That girl of yours is something else!” John said.

“I know!” Said Rob grinning.

Martina came out and put a tablecloth over the large table that was under the vines. She laid five places and brought out five glasses. She came over to Rob and John.

“Working hard?” She said, taking Rob’s beer and finishing it.

“Hey!” He said, and then saw her expression.

“Would you like one?” He asked.

“Why, thank you dear, it is so nice to be thought of!” She said, somewhat sarcastically.

Rob grinned and went off to get three more beers.

“Is it hot enough yet?” She asked John, as they watched the charcoal heat up.

“No, another twenty minutes, I should think.” He said, testing it by putting his hand over the top.

Rob returned and opened Martina’s bottle, and handed it to her. She drank from the bottle, kissed him, and wandered off.

Back in the kitchen she finished the salad, having cut the tomatoes, peeled and chopped the cucumber, she added nuts and raisins and small chunks of apple. She then cut the baguettes and the rolls, put them into baskets. She carried the meat out, and left it by the barbeque.

She checked her pie, and turned the oven up a little. She put the bread, butter, salad, dressing, relishes and salt and pepper onto a tray, and carried it out to the table.

John put the meat on to cook, and a lovely smell permeated the area.

Martina sat on the bench next to Rob, and sipped her beer.

“Is your mum okay?” She asked.

“Yeah, I think so, she was a bit knackered, and wanted a shower. She hasn’t exactly done a lot of exercise recently!” He said.

“It was fun, today!” She said.

“Yeah, it was.” Rob said. “Thanks for coming, this would be deadly if you weren’t here!”

“Thanks for asking me. I love it!” She said.

They sat and watched as John turned the meat.

“Oh shit! My pie!” Martina said, and raced into the kitchen.

She opened the oven, and fortunately she was just in time. The pie, now a golden brown colour, was perfect. She turned the oven right down.

“I think we can eat!” Said John, just as Mary came out.

She looked at the table, and all the salads, and went into the kitchen to see Martina fiddling with a gorgeous apple pie.

“Martina, when did you do all this?” She asked.

“After we got back, why?” Martina replied.

Mary looked at the pie.

“Did you just make this?”

“Yes. Don’t you like apple pie?” She asked.

“I love it, you are so clever, did you make the pastry, or was it ready made?”

“I made it, why?”

“I have never made pastry in my life. You must show me how!” Mary said.

“Come on you two, food’s ready!” Said John.

Martina took the wine from the fridge, and a bottle of red from the box and handed them to Rob.

“Make yourself useful, open these.” She told him, and went to get her food.

The meal was very French, with the wine and the bread, and they took their time eating. Martina and Lucy cleared away the first course, and then Martina carried her pie to the table, and Lucy followed with a tub of ice cream and a huge slice of Brie.

“Apple pie, anyone?” She asked.

“When did you buy this?” Asked John.

“She didn’t, she made it after we got back from the bike ride!” Said Mary.

Martina cut the pie, and everyone had some. It was delicious, and it all got eaten.

Martina was about to clear the table, and Mary stopped her.

“You’ve done your bit, let us clear and wash up. You just have a rest, as you’ve deserved it. Thank you, for a lovely meal! The marinade was simply divine, and your dressing was really good. You and I are going to have to get together in the kitchen.” She said.

Martina sat there, with a beer in her hand, feeling slightly redundant. It was a lovely evening, and the stars were twinkling. She felt a blanket of contentment fall around her shoulders.

The family finished clearing up, and all came to join her.

“Martina?” Lucy said.

“Mmm?”

“Can you show me how to make an apple pie? Just like the one we had tonight.” She asked.

“Yes, if you like. If you want, we could cycle into the town tomorrow, and buy the apples, and get the fresh bread and stuff. If we go early, we will be back before we miss anything!” Martina suggested.

Lucy went to bed excited, and Mary said, “I have been trying to get her interested in cooking for ages, how do you manage it?”

“Probably by not trying!” Martina said with a smile.
 
 
The next day, as promised, Martina and Lucy cycled the fifteen-minute journey into the small town. They put their bikes in the bike stand, and went to the supermarket.

Jean was on the till, and saw Martina as soon as she came in.

“Salut Martina, comment allez-vous aujourd'hui?” He asked, cheerfully.

“Eh bien, merci, et vous?” She replied.

“I is good, tanks!” He replied in broken English.

“Oh, Jean, c'est est vraiment bon!” She said, congratulating his effort.

He grinned, and blushed.

Martina and Lucy picked up a basket, and went and selected their provisions. Martina paid Jean, and he asked whether Martina was going to the dance at the town hall at the weekend.

"Je ne savais pas qu'il y a une danse. Quand est-ce qu'il est?" Martina asked.

“Il est sur soir du samedi, á  sept heures.” He replied.

“Peut-áªtre, je ne sais pas ce qui nous faisons sur samedi.” She said, as she had no idea what was happening on Saturday.

“J'espá¨re qu'i voit vous lá , alors.” He said, rather too hopefully.

Martina smiled and shrugged.

“Au revoir, Jean.” She said, and left the shop.

They crossed the square and went to the bakers. She got Lucy to ask for four baguettes, and the girl managed it just fine.

They left the bakers, and saw a motorcycle by the side of the road. It was obviously not very well, as it has the side cowlings removed, and it’s innards were exposed.

The rider, a tall thin young man, with quite long fair hair and several days’ growth of beard, dressed in black leathers, was trying to ask a local man if there was a garage in the town. He was speaking English, very slowly, and waving his arms a lot. He had a strange accent, and Martina could not place it.

“Hello, are you having problems?” She said.

The man turned and looked at her with undisguised relief.

“Oh thank God, someone who can speak English. Ja, I am wanting to know if there is a mechanic or a garage in this town, My bike has broken down and I need some parts.” The man said.

“I am only on holiday here, so hang on I’ll ask for you! Martina said.

“Monsieur. Le moteur de c'homme fait du vélo a abattu, et il veut savoir s'il y a un garage dans la ville.” Martina asked the local man.

“Oui, vous conduisez dehors ce chemin, prend le deuxiá¨me gauche et le garage est á  droite. Il est un moteur fait du vélo spécialiste, donc il doit áªtre fortuné.” The man replied, pointing to the road opposite them.

“Merci, monsieur.” Martina said.

“If you head that way, take the second left, the garage is on the right. He says that it is a motorbike specialist, so you are in luck!” Martina translated.

“That’s great, I can’t thank you enough.” The young guy said.

“Where are you from, I can’t place your accent?” She asked.

“I am Erich, I come from South Africa.” He said, wiping a very oily hand on a rag, and offering it to Martina.

“I’m Martina, and this is Lucy. We are over here on holiday from England.” She said, shaking his hand. The man looked at the two girls, one very blonde and the other dark, he frowned, they obviously weren’t sisters.

“Lucy is my boyfriend’s sister, I’m over here with his family.” Martina explained, reading his thoughts.

“Oh, I didn’t think you could be sisters. You speak the language very well. Thanks again, you’ve saved my bacon. I’d better get this wreck up to the garage, then. So thanks, and I’ll maybe see you around!”

“Bye!”

Martina and Lucy cycled back to the farmhouse.

Lucy ran in saying, “Martina picked up a Hell’s Angel in the town, he is an African!”

Martina laughed, and then laughed some more at Rob’s very worried expression.

“He was a white South African called Erich, he is not a Hell’s Angel, but he did have a motorbike. It had broken down, and I helped him find a garage, that is all!” She explained.

She told them about the dance in the local hall in two days time, and Mary thought that it might be fun if they all went.
 
 
They went to the dance on the Saturday night, and had a super time. Lucy asked the girl next door to go, and in the end her whole family came too. They sat with the English family, and were surprised that so many people seemed to know Martina, and that her level of French was really good.

The band consisted of a lad with a guitar, a girl on a violin, another lad on drums and a girl keyboard player. They weren’t brilliant, but good enough for the purpose at hand.

Jean had a couple of dances with Martina, which made his year, and Lucy, who was twelve, suddenly found herself the focus off attention by a thirteen year old French lad, called Christophe, who got her onto the dance floor, and seemed reluctant to let her go again.

Half way through the evening, Erich, the South African, appeared. He looked a little cleaner this time! He popped his head in, and surveyed the hall. He saw Martina and smiled. He came in and came over to where she and the Alexanders were sitting.

“I was wondering whether you were going to be here. My bike is going to be a few days. It needs a new clutch, and the guy has to send to Paris for the parts. So I’m sort of stuck here.” He said.

Martina introduced him to the family, and he pulled up a chair. He told them that he had just finished an engineering degree at Cape Town University, and was taking a year out, bumming round Europe. He was not happy with the way that South Africa was going, so he was hoping eventually to try to get a job in the UK.

Martina was watching the guitarist, and she noted that he was not a lot better than she. They were playing a lot of quite dated UK and US songs, and some other polkas and waltzes. The mixed age group seemed to appreciate everything, yet the vocals were being done either by the guitarist, or the girl on the keyboard.

Martina went over to them and said to the girl, “Bonjour, vous fait sait l'air á  'Making your mind up' par Bucks Fizz?”

“Nous savons l'air, mais ne sait pas les paroles.” The girl said.

“Je peux chanter les paroles, et peut jouer la guitare, si vous avez une guitare de rechange, peut-áªtre je peux vous joindre.” Martina offered to sing the lyrics, and play if they had a spare guitar.

The lad on the guitar, took his off, and handed it to her, smiling.

“S'il vous plaá®t, a un entrain! Je peux faire avec un repos, et je peux avoir une boisson!” He said, offering her the guitar, as he wanted to have a break, and grab a drink.

Martina and her friends had sung this hit from 1981, many times in house, with Martina on guitar. She got together with the two girls, and the drummer. The girls were quite happy, but the drummer was a bit lost. She waved at Rob, and asked, ”Est-ce que vous feriez attention á  si mon petit ami a joué les tambours pour cette chanson?”

The drummer looked relieved, and let Rob take his sticks. This was about the only number that Rob knew really well.

She counted them in, and they started more or less together.

She sang the complete song and the band were okay. The dance floor was jam packed, and nearly everyone was up on their feet. At the end, the audience reaction surprised her, and the applause took ages to die down.

The other members of the band came back, and she relinquished the guitar, and Rob handed back the sticks.

The guitarist asked her, “Est-ce que vous savez du rock-and-roll?”

“Mais oui, ‘Rock around the clock’?” Martina replied.

She stayed up on the stage, and sang three or four other numbers. There was no doubt that her voice was one hundred times better than the band members, and everyone seemed to enjoy her singing.

She left them to it, and was clapped back to her seat. She had a well-earned drink, and felt pleased with the way it had gone.

She just enjoyed the dancing for the rest of the evening. Many of the locals smiled at her, and congratulated her on her singing and playing. She made a point of going up to the band and thanking them for letting her play and join in. The guitarist asked her if she was free for the summer, as she was welcome to join the band.

She politely declined, and thanked him anyway.

They got home at about half past twelve, and sat under the stars for a while.

Lucy had gone to bed; she fancied she was in love with Christophe.

“You have a wonderful voice!” Said Mary.

“Thanks, I am still getting singing coaching, but one day I hope to be good enough to perform professionally.” Martina said.

“I think you are that good already!” Said John.

“Thanks, but I know just how good one has to be to get anywhere. And unless you get really lucky, you can’t sustain success without the right voice training, and ability. I know I can sing well, but I want to be able to sing brilliantly!” She told them.

They sat for a while, Rob had his arm around Martina, and his father likewise held Mary. It was a wonderful holiday, and Martina was so glad she came.
 
 
The next morning saw Martina and Rob cycling into town for the bread and other provisions. Only today, they were greeted by many of the local people. Young Jean, in the supermarket, tried out his broken English again.

“Martina, you singing very well! You make record and buy home here!” He said.

“Jean, j'aimerais acheter une maison ici, mais je ne peux pas avoir les moyens un cependant.” She told him, that she would love to buy a house there, but couldn’t afford it.

They bought the goods, and did the rounds of the butcher and bakers. And cycled home.

The days merged into each other, and the hot summer caused thunderstorms to brew, and for three days they were trapped inside the house.

They played Monopoly, Cluedo, and endless games of cards. But they also grew to know one another. In an age of high technology, it is rare for parents and children to actually spend good quality time together. The Alexanders were no exception, and they found the experience wonderful. There were temper tantrums and sharp words, and even Martina was not exempt the stresses of being too close for too long. But they all grew a little closer, and learned a lot more about each other.

Lucy, especially, grew up a little. She now had an older sister in Martina, and she older girl took her honorary position seriously. Lucy began to learn about giving, instead of simply taking. Martina was able to show that giving could give one more pleasure than taking, as the joy one could spread through the simple act of giving was really was so gratifying. Martina was no great cook, but she could do the basics, including a mean apple pie. By the end of the holiday, Lucy made an equally mean apple pie, and she watched as her family devoured it with great enthusiasm.

Finally, the two weeks were over, and they bade farewell to the house and the town, to Jean, and little Christophe, who promised to write to Lucy, and to a more tranquil way of life.

They drove back to St. Malo, and caught the ferry home. Martina stood on the deck at the stern of the ferry and watched as France got smaller and smaller. Rob came and put his arm around her.

“It is almost as if we are leaving our childhood behind.” She said.

“How do you mean?” He asked.

“If we ever go back, we will older and more adult. We will never see things through children’s eyes ever again!”

“That’s a bit deep, particularly from someone who gave up being a child a long time ago!” Rob said.

“I know, Robbie. But part of me wishes to be a little girl. I really missed out on that bit!” She said.

“You will have to make up for it with our own daughter!” He said.

Martina said nothing, and watched as the last tiny bit of France disappeared from view. They stood there for a long time, and they both realised that they were now entering a more dynamic period of their lives.

They dropped Martina off at her home, and stayed the night before travelling back to Scotland the following day.

Sam Caird had arrived, and Martina felt awkward in her own home, as her mother was clearly having a serious relationship with the Australian.

She found him quite nice, but initially thought that her mother could do better. But, as she came to know Sam, she found a rather scarred individual, who had been seriously hurt by his previous marriage break-up, and the resulting separation from his children.

Martina tried to give her mother some space, and spent a lot of her time either on the beach, reading, or, when they were there, water skiing with Gary and Caroline.

She was actually quite relieved when Sam had to return to Australia, and she was able to talk freely to her mother again. But something had changed. She had grown up, and no longer needed mothering, and Jenny realised it.

Instead, for the last couple of weeks of the summer, they tried to learn to become friends first, and mother and daughter second. It seemed to work, and they found themselves expressing feelings with each other in a way they could never have done before.

When Martina went back to school, Jenny realised that her little girl had become a young woman indeed!
 
 
Chapter 12
 
 
The marquee was stifling in the summer sun. They had rolled back some of the sides to allow the air to circulate, and parents and guests were fanning themselves with their programmes sheets. The boys and girls were sitting in poorly disguised boredom that accompanies speech days the length and breadth of Britain.

The prizes had all been given out and the outgoing head boy and girl had just made their last speeches, as was traditional at Broughton. The Headmaster stood up and thanked the two young people for their help over the preceding year. He then went on to give some overview of the next twelve months.

….”So here we are, in 1984, and asking ourselves, will any of Orwell’s visions come true? We have seen huge advances in the computer technology, and I have no doubt that ten years from now, the computers we are using now, will be considered museum pieces. Our young people today, have to be capable of facing and managing change as no generation has in the past. It with this in mind, that I have the pleasure in announcing the head girl and boy for the next year, starting in September.

“Both these young people have impressed me with their level headed maturity, and their ability to cope with traumatic change. Indeed, we have watched them thrive and develop into intelligent and committed young adults, who have already set high standards for others to follow. We have seen both of them collect no fewer than eight prizes between them here today, and as they have managed to do everything together all the way up through the school, it seems appropriate that they undertake their last task together as well!

“I refer, of course, to Martina Bennett and Robert Alexander.”

There was a very enthusiastic round of applause. Martina and Rob sat next to each other at the front of the prizewinners’ section. As they were now sixth formers, they no longer wore school uniform. Rob was wearing a dark suit with a gold satin waistcoat, with a pale blue shirt and his rugby tie.

Martina was wearing a very smart dark skirt and matching jacket, with a pale pink blouse, and her long legs were in stockings and she had high heel black shoes on. She was wearing a little make up, and Rob thought she was looking absolutely gorgeous.

Her hair was now very long, and she had put it up for the day, she had braided it at the back, and it made her look very much older than seventeen. She had small black onyx earrings in her ears, and a single gold crucifix on a plain golden chain around her neck.

She had been confirmed the preceding spring, and she was in no doubt that her life now was wholly down to her prayers, which God had answered. The doctors would go on about rare conditions and hormone levels and all the rest, but she only knew that she was now the person she always wanted to be, and that was because God heard her cry!

As she sat next to Rob, she glanced at him. He too had been confirmed, because he recognised that as they went through life, the belief they had in a merciful and loving God was something that bound them together. She took his hand and squeezed it, and he smiled at her, and returned the squeeze.

Throughout the day, the pair of them had been consistently being mistaken for staff.

The families had met, as they had over the last couple of years, for a joint lunch in the same place. They had a superb meal, with fresh Scottish salmon, and smoked duck, with salads. John had brought a silver double candlestick; and Mary had produced a white tablecloth, and a small vase of flowers. Quite a few heads turned at the spectacle.

Jenny had not taken her relationship any further with Sam. A small amount of money was forthcoming from Australia, but not enough for Jenny to feel she could justify keeping the house on. She had watched her son Peter get married to Rebecca, and cried as she watched her daughter fulfil the role of bridesmaid for the wedding.

Simon and Francesca announced their engagement, and Richard had now become rather close to a nice girl at Oxford called Debbie.

So, Jenny had sold the house, sold both the cars, and moved a few miles to a more modern, smaller, four bedroom house in Studland village itself. She had bought VW Golf, and met an accountant called Bill, whom she had originally asked to sort out her financial affairs. Bill was not actually a William, but Reginald, but as his surname was Sykes, he of course became known as Bill Sykes, from Oliver Twist.

Bill was a widower, a few years older than Jenny, but he was good fun, and Martina loved him too. Bill owned his own house at Corfe, and had not moved in with Jenny, yet! But Jenny was not lonely anymore! And, with Bill’s help, she found herself in a reasonably secure financial situation.

So it was, that Bill joined Jenny for the speech day, along with John and Mary. Lucy was still at her school, so it was just the six of them.

John and Mary had booked the French house again in 1982 and 1983, and had taken Martina each time; as it was the only way they could persuade Rob to go! Lucy had brought her friend Kerry, and this had given Rob and Martina a little more freedom. Jean had acquired a girlfriend, Betina, and the four young people began to socialise quite a bit. Martina was invited to sing at the town dances, and had gone down very well indeed. Her French was even better, and she was now very well known in the town.

This year, John and Mary asked Jenny and Bill to join them as well. Jenny had been a bit hesitant, but Martina had encouraged her to accept. Lucy had queried the sleeping arrangements, and Mary had explained that actually Rob and Martina were as good as engaged, and could share a room.

As the Headmaster finished his speech, and handed over to the guest speaker, at least 80% of the audience switched of, and waited for the end.

Martina had replaced her eternity ring onto her right hand, as Rob had given her another ring for her seventeenth birthday. This was a larger version of the first, but there was no doubt as to its significance. They were engaged, but decided to wait until they had left school, to announce it formally.

No one was surprised, as it was one of life’s little certainties, and the one thing that would have surprised everyone was that the young couple still had restrained from having sex!

Their love life was healthy and very active, but Martina had taken some pride in outlasting her mother, and was determined to last for as long as she could! Rob was actually happy with the arrangement, as the worry factor of accidental pregnancy was not an issue. It wasn’t as if they were celibate, and their bedroom activities were still very exciting!
 
 
Finally the guest speaker concluded, and there was a polite, if relieved round of applause.

The parents and grateful pupils gathered themselves together, and scattered for the holidays once more.

Rob and Martina stood beside their parents’ cars and discussed their plans. John, Mary and Rob were going to stay in Studland with Jenny for a long weekend, and then Rob was going to stay with Martina until his parents returned, having picked up Lucy and her friend, and they set off in convoy for France. Then, the holiday over, they would return to the UK, stay one night, or perhaps a couple, with Jenny, and then head north. Martina was to come and stay in Edinburgh for a couple of weeks at the end of the holidays. Both were due to take their driving tests this holiday, and there was some degree of competition there! As it happened the tests were within a couple of days of each other, Martina in Poole, and Rob in Edinburgh, just after their return from France.

They loaded the cars up, and returned to Dorset.
 
 
Martina had achieved straight ‘A’s in her GCSEs, and was now studying Art, English, French, and Drama for her A levels. She had become involved in a small group at school, of three guys and three girls. They got together once a week and played lots of different contemporary music. Culture Club was the rage at the time, so they would sing some of their stuff, and the Nolans, and Bucks Fizz. They weren’t into the punk music that was quite popular. The group consisted of Martina, vocals and guitar, Sophie, just vocals, and Kate on keyboard and vocals. They had Rob on drums, and David Carter on base guitar. They were actually getting quite good, and they planned a concert towards the end of their school year. They called themselves DEEPHEAT!

Sheila Manning was delighted with Martina’s singing, and, just before Christmas 1983 she had sung with the Northern Oxford Operatic society, as their guest Soprano, in a production of Bizet’s Carmen. This was quite a challenge for an amateur society, and they rose to the occasion. Sheila was co-producing the show, and she realised that the role of Carmen would be ideal for young Martina to cut her teeth.

The school was delighted to let her have the time off to practice and eventually to take part. Indeed, they even had two coach loads from the school travel in for the opening night.

They put on three productions over three days, and Martina went from strength to strength. The local paper reviewed the show:
 
 

It’s a tricky business putting on an opera. I don’t think the North Oxfordshire Operatic Society would dispute that; indeed their programme notes to their current production of Bizet’s Carmen are frank enough to state that Carmen is one of their most challenging projects to date.
    Just think, ‘opera’ requires not only strong vocalising–both solo and ensemble–or convincing acting, or authentic dance, but all three at once, synchronised perfectly with orchestra, the latter (as it was last night) usually situated in a pit, a considerable distance from the singers on stage. Then there are costumes to cope with: soft hats and dangling swords and heavy capes that restrict arm movement, and props, and backdrops and lights.
    Opera is arguably the most multi-disciplinary–hence exacting–art form. The North Oxfordshire Operatic Society coped reasonably well with these varied demands. The group certainly has some fine singers within its ranks and in my mind this is what carried the evening.
    They were fortunate to have a guest soprano, the delightful Martina Bennett, playing Carmen, who sang beautifully. Her facial expressions pushed through the emotion of the moment with an exotic flair nicely accomplished. Her voice was far stronger than one is used to hearing in such productions, and I believe that we will see more of her, who, I was very surprised to learn, is only just seventeen. She has a superb voice, and has obviously received first class training.

 
 
Martina loved singing the opera, but was still in two minds as to whether she was cut out for it as a career. Sheila recognised the young woman’s dilemma, and persuaded the school to undertake their own production of something they could really get their teeth into. She suggested something that involved reasonably contemporary music, dance and a nice degree of drama. In other words, something fun!

She agreed to co-produce and direct the show, which they planned to put on at Christmas 1984, and Mr Cooper and Mr Wells were brought onboard. They had the female lead, and had to select the show, and a male lead.

They deliberated for some time, and eventually decided upon Rob as the male lead. He was a strong baritone, and they felt that the chemistry that already existed between the couple could be put to some use. The show proved more difficult. They thought of South Pacific and Oklahoma, and decided against them on the grounds that they were not contemporary enough.

They finally came up with a show that was centred on the female lead, and Martina was duly cast as Evita, in Lloyd Webber’s show of the same name. Thus, as they came to break up for the summer holidays, they were well into the practice schedule.
 
 
Dinner in Studland was as tranquil as always, and Jenny was much more relaxed with Bill around. Jenny persuaded Bill to talk to Mary about her designer ideas, and after dinner the four of them were really getting into it quite seriously.

Mary found herself swept along by both her husband and her friend, and what had started as an improbable dream was looking like a possible reality. Martina and Rob took the opportunity to go for a walk along the beach. It was mid July, and by ten pm the beach was deserted and very peaceful.

The sea was as still as it could be, and the many yachts moored in the bay gave an illusion of fairy city, with all their mast lights and other little lights. The lights of Bournemouth across the bay lit the night sky, and the few wispy clouds looked like little orange powder puffs.

They sat for a while, snuggled together watching the water as it rippled gently against the soft sandy shore. The tide was right in, and Rob picked up a pebble and threw it into the water. It landed with an invisible ‘plop’, but slight ripples showed in the dim light.

Martina stood up, and took her top off.

“I’m going for a swim, coming?” She said, as she took everything else off too.

Rob just grinned in the darkness, his teeth showing white against his dark face. He couldn’t get undressed quickly enough.

Martina ran into the water, gasping as the cool water rose up to her naked tummy, and Rob was close behind. She dived beneath the surface and disappeared. Rob saw phosphorescence in the water, where she displaced some minute sea creatures, and he dived to where he thought she would be.

He just caught her heel, and held it. They surfaced, and she was laughing. He encircled her with his arms, she was still warm and he felt her naked breasts against his chest. They kissed, and he felt himself becoming aroused.

“What are you like?” She teased, and squirmed out of his grip, diving under the water again. This time he could not guess where she was, until her hands found a certain part of his anatomy that was rather pleased to feel her!

She came up behind him, and she grabbed him around the chest, he lowered himself onto his haunches, and she swung her legs over so she was sitting on his shoulders. He stood up, and she screamed with delight. Then he just fell straight backwards, taking her with him.

They played in the water for ages, and then ran ashore. They lay on the grass, juts above the sand, and he took her in his arms. They were wet, and although it was a warm night, he felt her nipples harden in the slight breeze. He put one of her nipples in his mouth, and licked all around it, then he did the same with the other. They were very salty. She held and stroked his head.

He moved up, and they kissed for a few moments, she was holding him very tight.

He broke off from the kiss, and went to the pile of clothes. Bringing back his tee shirt, he gently dried her off, kissing each bit as he dried it. She then did the same for him, and they were kneeling facing each other.

She took his hands.

“Rob, this is a perfect night, in a perfect place. Did you happen to bring something which could turn this into a perfect moment?” She asked.

Rob grinned, and once again his teeth glowed. Something rustled in his hand. He had a small square foil packet in his hand, which he must have collected at the same time as the tee shirt.

She took it from him, and found her hands were shaking. She tried to rip it open, but couldn’t. He took it back, and opened it with ease, and then he gave it back to her.

She held the small rubber sheath in her fingers, and then rolled it onto his ready member.

She then pushed him gently onto his back, and kissed him. She swung her leg over him, and, trembling, helped him find the right place for him to put it. She was very wet, and more than ready. At the last second she hesitated, then kissed him, and slowly sank down, and allowed him to sink deep inside her.

She felt him inside her, and the feeling was like no other, he arched his back, and she felt the stimulation of their pubic areas as they joined together. She began to raise and lower herself, as he thrust into her as she did so. In all their games, and mutual petting sessions, nothing had ever come close to what she experienced now!

He held her breasts, and leaned forward, taking her nipples into his mouth and sucking and licking, he drove her wild! She rode him faster and he thrust in time with her. She felt herself coming, and she just gasped with the overpowering pleasure, as she gushed to orgasm.

Rob slowed his rhythm, thrusting deeper and deeper inside her, she came again, and again, and kissed him passionately. She felt his hands on her bum, as he raised and lowered her, and he rolled her over onto her back, without losing the tempo. She wrapped her legs around his waist, and he started to pound away, and she had another orgasm, and another. He was getting faster and faster, until with an almighty grunt, he shuddered and thrust himself as deep inside her as he could.

He withdrew almost immediately, holding the condom in place. He took it off and said, “No punctures!”

Martina just lay there, her senses reeling. Nothing could have prepared her for what she had just experienced.

“Rob, stroked her forehead, and kissed her very tenderly.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

She turned her head, and saw his silhouette. She reached out her hand, and found his neck, she pulled him gently down to her, and kissed him.

“Robbie, that was amazing. Thank you! Thank you for waiting, and thank you for not waiting any longer!” She said, and kissed him again.

They lay curled up together for a while, as the breeze dried them off.

“We’d better get back.” Rob said.

“Mmm.” Martina said. Not moving.

Her fingers went questing between his legs, and under her touch, he began to stiffen once more, but not awfully enthusiastically.

“Let’s just show that that one wasn’t a fluke!” She said.

“I think I may need a little more time.” Rob said.

She wrapped her arm around him, and said, “take as long as you want, I ‘m not going anywhere!”
 
 
They walked back to the house about an hour later, it was midnight, and the other four were still at it. Jenny looked up as they came in, saw Martina’s expression, and immediately knew!

She smiled at her daughter, a knowing smile, and Martina smiled back. No words were needed, and Jenny glanced at Rob. “Did you have a nice swim?” She asked.

“Yes, it was great!” He replied.

“How was it in?” She asked, deliberately.

Rob grinned sheepishly, “Great, it was really warm, and wet!” He replied, equally deliberately.

“Why don’t you two have a shower, and the next time, take a towel?” Jenny suggested.

They left them to it and went upstairs and had a shower together.

“At least I lasted longer than my mother!” Martina said, as she scrubbed Rob’s back.

“And mine!” He said.

“When did your dad first do it?” She asked.

“I don’t know. He never talks about it.” He said.

She put her arms around his substantial chest.

“It was better than I thought it would be! How was it for you?” She asked.

“Bloody fantastic!” He said.

“I think I’m going to have to visit my doctor.” She said.

“Why?” he said, worried.

“Because I have no intention of having you use those bloody rubber things for the rest of our lives!” She replied, kissing him.

“Oh!” He said.

They got out and dried themselves off.

“Robbie?”

“What?”

“How many have you got left?”

“Ten, why?”

“We will have to go shopping tomorrow!” She said, with a sly smile.

“But it’s Sunday!” Rob observed.

“It is also the summer season, and virtually all the shops are open.” She said. “Besides, I will get Mummy out so I can have some driving practice, I’ve only five weeks until my test!”

They went down stairs and found that their parents were finishing their discussion. There were papers all over the place, with the rudiments of a business plan thrashed out.

Martina carried out the empty glasses and coffee cups to the kitchen.

Jenny followed her out, and watched as she washed up the glasses. Martina had a little smile on her face.

“Are you okay?” She asked her daughter.

“Yup! I’m just fine.” Martina said, and glanced at her mother, and smiled.

“I have to go and see Doctor Andrews sometime this week, it has been a while since you saw her, would you like me to make you an appointment?” Jenny asked.

Martina smiled, and looked at Jenny, who smiled back.

“Yes please, I think that would be a very good idea. Thanks!” Martina replied.

Jenny washed up the cups, and as they left the kitchen to put Turbo out, Jenny said. ”I’m just so pleased you waited this long!”

“So am I!” Martina said, and kissed her mother goodnight. “So am I!”
 
 
Jenny was up quite early, and Bill was fixing the fence in the vegetable garden. She watched as he measured each piece and cut then as exactly as he could. He was a methodical man, was Bill. Unlike Charles, who had been very different, he had been slap-dash and used to put off jobs around the home, until either Jenny did them, or she had to pay someone else to do them.

Bill had been aware that she was lonely, and in a funny sort of way they were very similar. They had sort of drifted into a relationship through a mutual need, and they had both found love. It wasn’t the passionate love that she had thought she had found with Sam, but a love built on need, respect, and friendship.

As she reflected on this she thought of Martina and Rob. Their love was built out of friendship, need and respect too, yet they were discovering the physical aspects, but only after several years of just being friends first.

Bill looked up and saw her watching, and waved. She smiled and held up a coffee cup, and he nodded.

She made him a coffee and took it out to him. He took it and kissed her. She sat and watched him work.

“Do you think that Mary’s plan will work?” She asked, at last.

“No reason why not. They’ve got the advantage of having the free capital, so no loans are needed to start them off. She needs to research her client base, and run a market analysis, but I see no reason why she shouldn’t make a go of it. As with all things, she needs to hit the market just right. It may be that she selects the wrong age group, or misreads the fashion trends. It is a very fickle market. Here hold this a moment!” Bill handed her a plank.

“What do you think of them?” She asked.

“They are charming people, but then you would never be friends with anyone who weren’t!” He replied, taking the plank from her.

“Do you think that this French trip is a good idea, I feel that I am sort of bullying you into it?” She asked.

Bill stopped for a moment, and looked at her.

“Jenny love, we are both in our fifties, I haven’t had a proper holiday for nearly five years, because I was so bloody lonely, I couldn’t bear to see loads of couples having fun. My son is in America, and I haven’t seen him for nearly a year. I have at long last found a beautiful woman whom I can love, and I get to go with her to Brittany in the company of her delightful daughter, her boyfriend and his very charming parents. I adore French food and wine, and I can think of nothing I would rather do. So please just relax and don’t worry, I like being bullied!” he said.

Jenny sat and stayed with him as he worked away. He was just so useful, the house was lovely, but had needed a lot of little jobs doing to it. It had been the holiday home of a London couple, whom had let it out for most of the summer. Bill had done one job at a time, and was now on the last project.

Martina awoke first, and looked at her clock. It was nine o’clock. She reached out for Rob, and he was fast asleep. They had had a wonderful night, and had not spent much time sleeping. She slipped out of bed and went to the loo. She heard John and Mary getting up, so she cleaned her teeth and went back to their room.

Rob woke up as she got back into bed.

“What time is it?” He asked, sleepily.

She kissed him.

“Nine o’clock, and you need a shave!” She said.

“I also need a pee. Aren’t you tired?” He asked.

“Yes, but it’s a nice sort of tired.” She said, nuzzling his neck.

“I still need a pee!” He said, as he got out of bed.

He went to the bathroom, and realised that including the beach, they had made love five times! No wonder he was knackered.

He looked at his reflection in the mirror, and quickly ran his electric razor over his face. He brushed his teeth, and went back to the bedroom.

Martina was in bed, with the covers up to her chin. He noticed that her nightie was on the floor, and she lifted the duvet. She was naked, and so he took off his tee shirt and shorts.

They made it six, before breakfast!
 
 
The weekend passed quickly and they said goodbye to John and Mary on Monday. They were visiting friends in Wales on their way north, and they would be back in a couple of weeks to go on to France. Martina visited Dr Andrews on Monday, and was prescribed her first contraceptive pills. Dr Andrews gave her a thorough examination, and declared her in prime condition.

Dr Gillian Andrews was a relatively new doctor to the practice, as Martina had not wanted to see any of the old ones in the practice, as they had seen her before. And when she had first seen Martina, shortly after her profound change, she was baffled as to how the mistake had gone un-noticed for so long.

There was no doubt that Martina was as normal a young woman as she had ever examined. In fact, she was as near a perfect specimen as she had ever seen! She read through young Martin Collins’ notes, and came to the conclusion that her predecessors had been rather lax or neglectful.

The fact that Martina seemed to be one of the most stable and delightful of all her patients, and that she seemed to bear no ill will at all, made Gillian relieved that there did not appear to be any mention or threat of a costly lawsuit.

The girl had come in on that Monday morning, looking bright and cheerful, unlike the majority of her patients. She was wearing a very pretty floral, short, summer dress, and sandals.

“Hello, Martina. I haven’t seen you for a while, what can I do for you today?” She had asked.

“Morning Doctor. It has come to that time, I’m afraid!” Martina said.

“I’m sorry, that time?” Gillian asked, confused.

“The pill! The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things, but for me, I think I need to talk about the pill!” Martina said.

“Ah, the pill. I see. Now, lets see, how old are you?”

“I will be eighteen in a couple of months.” Martina said.

“What methods of birth control have you used so far?” Gillian said.

“Well considering I lost my virginity on Saturday night, all we have used is a dozen condoms, so far!” She said with a grin.

Gillian had to smile. She examined Martina, and asked lots of questions. She explained about the dangers of using contraceptive pills over a long period of time, and gave her advice relating to other methods. But Martina was quite clear, for the short term at least, the pill it was!

“Have you known him long?” Gillian asked as she wrote out the prescription.

“Nearly ten years.” Martina replied.

“How long have you been serious?”

“Five years.” The girl replied.

The doctor frowned, and she did some sums in her head.

“But that means,…..”

“Yes I know, he knew that I was a girl before anyone else, it was a little difficult, but we are engaged now!” Martina held up her left hand.

“Congratulations, when are you getting married?” The doctor asked.

“We haven’t a clue. Probably not for years, but this saves an awful lot of hassle. We are not announcing if officially until we leave school. You see, we knew that we were going to get married nearly five years ago. Robbie was the only one who stood by me through all my problems. We are true soul mates, and neither of us can imagine life without the other!”

“Have you not been tempted to have sex before this?”

“Oh yes, it has been bloody hard, but I had to beat my mother’s record. She lost her’s when she was fifteen. I wanted to wait until I was eighteen, but hey, Saturday night was a little special!” Martina said.

Gillian found her refreshing, honest, and very natural. She was in no doubt that Martina was a responsible young woman, and she had no qualms in helping her out.

“Now, read the leaflet, and start when it tells you to. You will not be safe until at least one complete cycle has run its course, and I should give it a couple of weeks on top. I have prescribed you six months worth, so come back if there any problems, otherwise just ask for a repeat prescription. Okay?” She asked.

“Okay, thanks doctor.” Martina said.

The doctor opened a drawer, and pulled out a small box.

“In here are twenty condoms, they are from the family planning clinic I run on a Wednesday. Take these, and if you want more, come back on Wednesday, 10 to 12. Okay?”

“Thanks, bye.”
 
 
Martina left the surgery and met up with her mother and Rob in the car park by the station, in Swanage. Rob was looking embarrassed, and both women made it worse by laughing at him. Martina went to the chemists, and Mary went into the supermarket. Rob went with Martina, and was intrigued to see the packets of pills.

“Well? What are you waiting for?” She asked, as she picked up the pills.

“What?” he asked.

“These don’t work straight off, you will have to buy a box of thingies. The doctor gave me twenty, but they wont last us long.” Martina said.

Rob had never been so embarrassed in his life. Particularly as Martina insisted on reading the boxes, and out loud at that!

“Oo, look! These say they are ribbed for extra pleasure, is that for you or me?” She asked, completely oblivious to the sniggering of the two girls who only wanted some makeup and deodorant.

“Martina, shut up!” Hissed Rob, which made the girls giggle all the more.

Martina became aware of the girls, but made no sign.

“These are just the standard size, where are the jumbo sizes?” She asked, letting her voice carry.

Rob thought he was going to die!

He grabbed two of the closest packs of twenty and literally ran to the checkout. While he was waiting in line, with just the condoms in his hand, he had never felt as embarrassed in his life, particularly as Martina had walked past him, and was waiting just beyond the checkout, making as if she was desperate, and for him to hurry up.

“Never again!” He muttered. The two girls were now behind him, and Martina’s mime show was bordering on the obscene. When it was his turn, he just handed over the cash, and held his hand out for the change. He was about a red as he could get, and he was seething inside!

When he finally managed to escape, he roared and chased Martina down the road, who shrieked with laughter and ran across the road, to the beach. He chased her onto the beach and to the water’s edge. He grabbed her, and lifted her bodily off her feet, and carried her to the water. She was laughing, shrieking, wriggling, and kicking her legs, but Rob just kept going! He was wearing shorts and sandals, so he waded out to knee level.

“I’m sorry Robbie! I’m really sorry Robbie! No, don’t you dare, Please! Robbie No!”

He held her just above the water. He was still cross, and Martina knew that she had pushed him just a little too far. She stopped screaming and looked at him. Her arms were round his neck.

“Go on then, I deserve it!” She said.

“Don’t you ever do that to me again!” He said.

“I won’t Robbie. I’m sorry, it’s just that everyone is so silly about it all!” She said.

“That is no reason to embarrass me, and make me feel about one inch tall!” He said, still smouldering.

She looked at him, and smiled.

“I’m sorry. Don’t you love me anymore?” She asked.

“I sometimes wonder why I do!” He said.

“She stroked his head, “Oh Robbie, I really don’t deserve you!” She said, and his heart melted.

“No, you don’t!” He said, smiled and dropped her!

She was holding onto him, so she only got her legs wet, and clung round his neck.

“Bastard!” She said, smiling.

“I know.” He said, smiling back.

She kissed him, and they stood with their sandaled feet and legs in fifteen inches of water, oblivious to the world.

Jenny walked round the corner, and was vaguely looking for them, she glanced at the shoreline, and saw them, standing kissing, about eight feet out, with the tide coming in. She smiled and shook her head.

She walked onto the beach.

“Are you two staying there all day?” She shouted to them.

They broke off, and looked round, then at their feet. Laughing they joined her on dry land.

“What were you doing?” She asked.

“You don’t want to know, Mummy!” Martina said.

They returned to the car park, and Martina got behind the wheel of her mother’s VW Golf. The car had the ‘L’ plates on front and rear, and Rob got into the back, not a little nervous. Martina had already had a course of lessons, and was actually quite a competent driver. But Rob didn’t like the narrow lanes.

They set off and Rob began to relax. Martina liked to talk as she drove, something to do with nerves, but as she went round one corner of a little lane, there was a huge tipper truck coming the other way. It shut her up, just for a second or so.

Rob worked out that a bicycle would be hard pushed to get through the gap, but Martina didn’t hesitate, or slow down, she just drove through the gap, with no difficulty.

“Phew!” Rob said. “Well done, I have to confess I shut my eyes there!”

“So did I!” Said Jenny.

Martina giggled, and said, “So did I!”

They were all relieved when they arrived back home!
 
 
The holiday flew past, they all went to France, and had a super time. Martina renewed old friendships, and this time the band contacted her, and she was persuaded to join them for the entire dance evening. She even managed to get in some practice time with them, and she sang Karma Chameleon, Do you really want to hurt me?, and some songs from Queen. But she had been practicing some French songs, and these had gone down very well with the locals.

Her French was really very good now, and she and Rob spent many hours in the little café chatting with the local young people. Even Rob, who would never confess to being a linguist, was able to converse very ably now. Jean and Betina were always pleased to see the young English couple, and the four of them would often do things together. This year they managed to hire mobilettes, and they explored further afield.
 
 
But the two weeks were soon over and they all came home. Martina said a very tearful goodbye to Rob, even though they would be reunited in a couple of weeks in Scotland. They had become ridiculously close, and their parents were actually quite relieved that they were going to be separated for a while. As Mary remarked, “At least the poor darlings can get a full night’s sleep now!”

Martina took her driving test, and much to Jenny’s relief, she passed. She immediately phoned up Rob, who had his booked for two days later. Mary was dreading the possibility of him failing, and was very grateful when he too passed first time.

John took Rob out and they bought a little second hand Ford Escort for him, and when Martina arrived at the Waverley station a week later, it was Rob who collected her in his new car.

It was almost like coming home for Martina. She adored John and Mary, and Lucy always looked forward to Martina being with them.
 
 
Once again their holidays flashed past. Rob and Martina went to several parties, some very formal, and some informal. But they made their mark, as they made such a handsome couple, not just a few heads turned whenever they put in an appearance.
 
 
Thus, they returned as the head boy and girl of the school, in September, and were ready to face the challenges that the year would throw at them!

They each had a large bed/sitting room in their respective houses, and were instrumental in the setting up of a much improved sixth form club. Martina took her job as head girl very seriously, and was very aware of everything that went on in the girls’ houses. She had a close network of friends and they ensured that things ran smoothly.

She and Rob complimented each other very well, and their personalities were such that their popularity enabled them to run a tight ship, and the staff noticed that the general school morale was very high.

Marcus was very pleased, particularly as they were both always very smart, and set an excellent example for the younger pupils. It was noticed that Martina was wearing her engagement ring on her left hand, and no one was very surprised. In fact, the couple were very discrete, and set a positive example to those couples that were just starting relationships further down the school.

There were many different things going on in both their lives, and they found that they rarely had much time to themselves.

Martina was undertaking her Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, and kept disappearing all over the country on various activities, while Rob, as the CCF Sergeant Major, was really involved with the cadets. He was also captain of the first XV Rugby team, and once again Martina found herself cheering him on whenever she got the opportunity!

It was their music that brought them together most, and their little group practice was one of their favourite times! They planned a charity concert for later in the Christmas term, and encouraged other performers to get together to make it a really good event.

Martina’s singing was delighting her coach, Sheila was so tempted to try to get the girl into the National Opera, but sadly had to agree that she was not best suited for that medium. So, she and Martina went over the latter’s skills and strong aspects, and both came to the conclusion that she was far more suited to contemporary music and drama.

Martina was pleased, as she aspired to be an actress, and although she loved singing, she really wanted to act!

They had Evita planned, and the cast had been selected and had already started practising. Due to A levels, they were putting it on at the end of the Christmas Term, as the summer was a hopeless time for such activities.

The drama group were hoping to put on a play, and Mr Cooper was approached by the head of the English department who asked if they could put on The Taming of the Shrew, by William Shakespeare. The play was one of the selected plays for that year’s ‘A’ level syllabus, and it was generally thought that it would help those doing the course!

Martina was approached to be the shrew, and jumped at the opportunity, and needless to say, Rob was cast as the bridegroom! It was to be put on at Easter, and what with everything else, it was a very busy time for both of them.
 
 
The term flew by, and they were nearing Christmas before anyone realised it. The production of Evita came a week from the end of term, and was very successful, Sheila Manning, who watched the last one, had to accept that she was exceptionally talented, but would be wasted in opera. After the performance, she told Martina, and wished her all the luck in the world.

“Does that mean you can’t coach me anymore?” Martina asked.

“Martina, darling, I have nothing more to give you! You have been a wonderful student, and I have taught you all I know. The rest is up to you. Just remember to do your exercises, and don’t ever smoke!” She said.

Martina hugged her, and felt very sad, as they had become very close over the last four years.

“I can’t thank you enough! I only hope I will be a credit to you!” Martina said.

“I am sure you will, I shall follow your progress as closely as I can!” Sheila said.

“I will send you tickets to my first performance, whatever it is!”

“That would be lovely, but not if it is anything too noisy!” Sheila said, smiling.

They said goodbye, and Martina felt that an era had ended.
 
 
The following week, the charity concert was staged, with six different groups or performers taking part. They had been selling tickets madly, and had raised  £500 from ticket sales,  £250 from special tee shirts, and hoped to raise more on the night with sales of hot dogs and hamburgers. Their aim was  £1000, and the money was going to feed the starving in Africa.

Deepheat were the main group, and the others were just there for support. All the others had one or two numbers, and Deepheat had eight numbers planned, six were hits over the last few years, and two they had written themselves.

Martina had spent a long time getting her costume ready, and no one had seen it! As the group before them went on, she shut herself away, and dressed. She put on sheer black stockings, with a suspender belt, and a very short black leather skirt. She pulled on high black leather boots, which came up past her knees, and had 4” stiletto heels. On top, she wore a black bra under a very skimpy netting sleeveless top, which showed more than it revealed! Then she wore long black fingerless gloves, which came all the way up her arms. She painted her nails a very dark red, and wore heavy dark eye shadow, and deep red lipstick. She spent ages getting her hair into a ‘wild’ mode, and she thought she looked great!

She heard the group before them finish, and then she came out.

“Shut your mouth dear, you may catch something!” she said to Rob, who gawped at her.

“Holy shit Martina, you look………!” Rob was lost for words.

The other group came off, and the curtain was lowered.

The group moved on stage with their equipment, and Martina strapped her jet-black electric guitar over her shoulder. She was standing centre stage, and they were in pitch black. The curtain was raised, and no one could see anything.

Their first number was “Hold onto you hat!” by the Rolling Stones, which started with a guitar piece, and then the drums came in.

Martina played the opening bars in darkness, and as soon as the drums started, the spotlight picked out Martina, and there was a huge surge and cheer from the audience.

They went on to play Queen’s “Another one bites the dust!”, and everyone was singing along. They moved through Culture Club’s “Karma Chameleon”, and “Do you really want to hurt me?”

Then they played “I’m in the mood for dancing”, and lots of the kids at the front started dancing. So they came back with “Making your mind up”, which they could keep dancing to. Martina then sang Dion Warwick’s hit, “All the love in the world”, and then they played their own numbers, which kept the kids dancing.

Martina was as raunchy as she could be, and really loved flirting with the audience. She could tell that she was doing the right moves, as those young men at the front had developed glazed expressions and a tendency to dribble!

They came to the end of the last number, and she stepped up to the microphone, and said, “All of us thank you for supporting this charity concert. We need to beat the  £1000 target, so we will take any requests, but they will cost you!”

Various names of songs were shouted out, and she tried to pick one she could recognise. Then a loud voice came from the back.

“ £50 if you strip!”

Martina laughed.

“Make it  £500, and I will think about it!” she said.

There was a cheer and a surge, and before she could argue, a bucket was being passed around, and eventually it came back to the stage, and Rob collected it. He stared at Martina.

“I reckon there is more that  £500 here!” he said.

She walked over to Kate on keyboard, and told her what to play, and then shrugged. Her and her big mouth! She had a quick word with the man on lights, and then went back to centre stage.

She took off her guitar, and Kate started the stripper’s tune, and Rob came in on drums.

She started with her hips, just swaying with the beat, and then started to dance, tugging at her left glove, and pulling it slowly off her arm, as she danced across the stage, then swinging it round, and she threw it into the audience. The beat got slightly faster, and the audience were clapping in time with the beat, and she moved to the next glove, and then came her top, which got a cheer when thrown across the stage.

She had her back to the audience, and spread he legs apart, and bent over so she was looking at the audience from between her legs! She swiped her little skirt off, and dropped it next to the drums, and Rob started to drool, and almost dropped his drumsticks!

She lay back on the stage and took one boot off, and then the other, and danced across to the edge of the stage, where she had many volunteers to undo the snaps on her suspender belt.

She sat on a chair, and rolled her stockings down, in a very seductive manner, and threw them into the audience, causing minor fights to break out over appropriation of the discarded items.

She whipped off her suspender belt and hung it round Rob’s neck, who grinned at her.

She stood before the whole school, dressed only in her black bra and black knickers, and she turned her back on them as she inched the straps down off one shoulder, and then the other, her hips still swaying in time with the music. She unclasped the catch at the back, and threw away the bra, still with her back to everyone, and her arms across her chest.

There was a sudden hush in the audience, and she slowly turned to face them, still with her arms across her chest, then she smiled, and the lights went out, and Marcus breathed a sigh of relief!

There was pandemonium, as the audience erupted in a mixture of applause and a demand for more!

But Martina had left the stage, and was busy getting dressed back into what she could find.

The audience started chanting for more, the curtain fell and all the lights came up, and Marcus stood at the front of the stage.

“Enough! Thank you! That is enough! I think that this is a perfect place to halt our evening, and I should like to thank all those who have taken part, and also those who have given so generously! I would particularly like to thank Martina, for going that bit extra, and not an inch too far, and the lighting man, for good timing! I am sure that Martina would like her clothes back, and once they are returned, we shall have all the band members back onto the stage for a final curtain!” Marcus said.

It took ten minutes for her clothes to be returned, and even then she was missing her stockings, so she put on a new pair. When she appeared with the others to take her curtain call, the cheers raised the roof! The thrill she received was enough, she was now certain that this is what she wanted to do with her life.

In the end they raised in excess of  £2,500 for the charity,  £880 from Martina’s strip alone! Marcus was thrilled, but sent a memo to the effect that strip tease was not an acceptable method of fund raising in the future!

The school broke up for Christmas, and Rob and Martina said their sad farewells when Jenny arrived to pick Martina up. Rob was catching the train that didn’t leave for another hour. Jenny was surprisingly unsympathetic about the couple being so separated, and Rob thought he saw a hidden smile when Martina asked him to call her on Christmas day.

Martina was quiet during the drive home, and Jenny told her that Bill had proposed to her.

“That is wonderful, mummy! I hope you accepted?”

“I said I would think about it. I needed to talk to you about it first!”

“Why? It is your life, what I feel is irrelevant, but for the record, I approve!”

Jenny smiled.

“Thank you dear, then I will tell him tonight.”

“So I should think! Poor old Bill, you shouldn’t have kept him hanging on like that! It is not fair!”

“Hark at you! Just because you have been engaged since you were twelve!”

Martina laughed.

“Not quite!” she said.

“So who is home for Christmas?”

“No one, it is just the three of us! Just you, me, and Bill. Some friends have asked us to stay for a bit. So I agreed! It should be fun!” Jenny said.

Martina’s heart sank, as she knew about Jenny’s friends, their children were usually complete dorks!

“Oh! Anyone I know?”

“Probably! They are a very nice family, their daughter is a bit younger than you, but it still should be fun!”

Her heart sank even lower.

“Why can’t we just have a quiet Christmas at home?” she said, hopefully.

“If you want, dear. I’ll ring up the Alexanders, and then cancel the flights to Edinburgh if you want!”

Martina felt about one inch high. Her mother had managed to put one over on her!

“Just you wait!” she said through the most enormous grin. Her heart was racing and she had gone from being pretty despondent to jubilant in two seconds.

“Oh, have you changed your mind, all of a sudden?” Jenny asked, innocent to the end.

“You know I have!” Martina said.

Jenny smiled.

“It was Mary’s idea, she couldn’t face having Rob mooching about all holiday, so we are all flying up in two days time. This is supposed to be a secret, so don’t tell Rob when you speak on the phone as soon as you can!”

“I won’t, it’ll be hard, but I won’t!” she said.

Jenny laughed at the change in her daughter.

“What about Turbo?”

“The Fishers have agreed to have him, so he will be fine!”

The Fishers were a really nice family who ran a nearby stable, and Turbo loved staying there. All the rats and rabbits he wanted!
 
 
Sure enough, after supper the phone rang. It was Rob, he had just arrived home, and was missing Martina like mad.

“Hi Robbie!” Martina said, trying to sound despondent at not being able to see him for four weeks.

“Hi my love! How are you?”

“Missing you!”

“Me too. Look, I am going to try and come and see you just after Christmas, I can’t cope with being apart from you!”

“That will be nice, but haven’t you got lots of parties?”

“I don’t want to go! If you are not with me, there is no point!” he said, miserably, and Martina grinned at her mother.

“That is sweet Robbie, but we have to get used to being apart!”

“I know, don’t remind me! But I just want to see you so bad!”

“Me too!”

“We can at least speak every day!” he said, sounding so miserable, that Martina almost burst out laughing.

“Of course we can!” she said.

“I’d better go, we are about to eat. Mum has invited some people for Christmas, it is going to be dire!”

“Oh, we are going out to some friends, it will be fun!”

“You are so lucky. I wish I was having Christmas with you!” he said.

“One day, Robbie, one day!”

“I love you so much!”

“Me too. Bye then!”

“Bye.”

Martina hung up.

“Well done, was that hard?”

“Terrible, he sounded so miserable!” Martina said, and told her the entire conversation, as if Jenny couldn’t have imagined it.
 
 
Edinburgh airport, 17th December, saw Bill, Jenny and Martina pushing their trolley through the concourse. John Alexander waved at them, and Martina was the first to see him.

“Hi, did you have a good trip?” he asked.

“Very good, short and sweet!” said Bill as they shook hands.

“I am at work, so Rob still doesn’t have a clue!” John said with a grin.

They walked to the Range Rover, and Martina noted that it was a new one. She felt very excited at the prospect of surprising Rob, and it really brought it home to her mother just how attached the two young people had become.

Jenny worried a little, as neither of them would be inclined to venture afar in the world, if they became too tied into each other so early on. She did not feel that it was healthy to become so attached at so young an age. But, she reasoned, they were anything but the usual couple, and were so obviously devoted to each other!

Martina kept up a running commentary all the way to the Alexander’s home, and John exchanged glances with Jenny, and they smiled. The car pulled into the drive, and they unloaded the suitcases. John opened the front door and Mary met him.

“Hi everyone! It is lovely to see you!” and she hugged each in turn. When she got to Martina, she had a special smile for the girl.

“Rob is upstairs moping! He is so grumpy, and it is driving us mad! Do, please, go an put him out of his misery!”

Martina was up the stairs like a squirrel being chased by Turbo! She crept quietly along the landing, past Lucy’s door, the girl was playing with her computer and she looked up as she passed and grinned conspiratorially, Martina put a finger to her lips and the younger girl nodded, and put her hand over her mouth.

Rob was sitting on his bed, with his back to the door, banging his drumsticks against the pillow, and his whole bearing looking miserable.

Martina licked her lips, and in a very good imitation of Mary’s voice, said, “I suppose you are going to be miserable all damn holiday?”

His shoulders shrugged and then something twigged that something wasn’t quite right, and he turned and looked at the door. He took one look at Martina and almost burst into tears of joy.

“Martina? How?” he said, and he covered the short distance between them in half a nano-second.

Lucy peeped round the door, and noted that there was absolutely no daylight between them. They managed to come as near as anyone physically could, to co-existing in exactly the same space/time location.

She watched as they kissed for exactly six minutes and twenty four seconds, she liked her new watch!

Finally Martina broke off, Lucy thought she had to breath eventually!

“Pleased to see me then?” she asked.

“You have to ask?”

They laughed together, and sat on the bed.

“My God, I missed you so much!” he said.

She reached out and stroked his face with her hand.

“I did too, I think of you all the time that you aren’t with me!” she said, and he kissed her hand.

“It’s daft really, at school, we go for ages without seeing each other!”

“I know, but we know that we are just handy if necessary. Edinburgh is hardly handy!” she said.

“Do you think this feeling will ever go away?”

“I hope not! I love you so much!” she said, and they started kissing again.

Lucy got bored and went down stairs to greet Jenny and Bill.

“How are Romeo and Juliette?” her mother asked.

“How anyone can kiss for that long without breathing, beats me!” she said with a cheeky grin.

“Ah!” said Bill, with a straight face. “Martina has developed a knack of breathing through her ears!”

Lucy stared at him for a second, and then realised that he was teasing her, and laughed. “They are so mushy! I will never be like that!” she declared, and the two mothers exchanged knowing glances.

“I put the kettle on, lets have a coffee and let the love birds catch up with the two days they haven’t seen each other!” Mary said.

Upstairs, Rob and Martina were just sitting holding hands, and enjoying being with each other. A few months ago, they would have already progressed to the bed, and would have made love by this time, but they had passed beyond the need to constantly make love!

“You know I can’t live without you?” she said.

“Of course, I am the same!”

“How will we manage once we leave school and go our separate ways?”

He shrugged, and smiled.

“What?” she said.

“I have faith! Look at our lives so far! We were separated when we left prep school, but for how long? Look at this Christmas holidays, we were apart, for two days! Somehow we are destined to be together, regardless of the circumstances!”

She smiled, and remembered the strange angel’s words to her.

“We are destined to be together, and we will have lots of children!” she repeated.

“Are you sure you aren’t making that bit up?” he teased her.

She smiled, and stroked his hand.

“Dear Robbie, you mean everything to me! I wouldn’t be who I am if it hadn’t been for you!”

“I could say the same!”

“We had better go and join the others, I haven’t even taken my coat off yet!” she said, and he laughed.

“I am so glad you are here, is your Mum here as well?”

“Yes, and Bill! They are getting married! So I am going to be a bridesmaid again!”

“Great, you are so beautiful, I can’t wait for you to be my bride!”

“Neither can I! Oh Robbie I want you so much!” she said, and they embraced again.

When they finally appeared, Martina still had her coat on, and everyone had finished their coffees.

“Ah!” said John, “Feeling a little happier now, my boy?”

Rob grinned and said hello to his guests.

“Your mother has just told us about the wedding plans! We are really pleased!” Mary said.

“Isn’t it wonderful! Mind you I wouldn’t blame Bill for walking out, she kept him hanging about for simply ages!” Martina said.

They had a light lunch, and then organised themselves and put the luggage in the spare rooms. John had to return to the office after lunch and Bill and Jenny sat down with Mary to discuss her new business plan. Her dreams were rapidly turning into reality!

Martina and Rob, along with Lucy, drove into Edinburgh, and did a little Christmas shopping. Martina just took hold of Rob’s arm, and was quite happy strolling from shop to shop.

Lucy was turning into a pretty teenager, and had already started to fill out in all the right places. She was going to be tall too, and enjoyed being with her handsome brother and his very sophisticated girl friend. Lucy thought the world of Martina, and the two had become as close sisters over the years. Mary found it super having Martina to help her cope with Lucy’s more truculent moods, and she knew that the older girl would always be able to persuade Lucy to be sensible.

Mary and Jenny used to wonder when their teenagers would start to behave like teenagers, but now resigned themselves to the fact that they never would! The young couple had gone straight from puberty to adulthood, missing out the less pleasant aspects of the teen years! They had thought that the pair would suffer because of it, but it did not seem to be the case.

The holidays passed too quickly, Christmas day was a truly joyous occasion, with church in the morning, an enormous lunch, then a walk up Arthur’s Seat, followed by the exchange of gifts and a quiet supper. Martina and Rob were invited to about fifteen parties, and many were formal, requiring the wearing of kilts, long dresses, and the sashes. Jenny saw a completely new side of Martina, as did many other people!

At one such formal dance, a female reporter for Harpers & Queen had been invited, and she had a photographer in tow. She was doing a story on the Scottish society and their activities. The photographer saw in Martina a rare spark of beauty, elegance, charm and fun, and took two complete rolls of film of her throughout the evening. She was completely unaware of the identity of the man taking the pictures, but thought he was wasting rather too many on her!

Towards the end of the evening, as she had Rob were having a cold drink, a woman in a very elegant green dress approached them.

“Hello! My name is Helen Gower. I am a columnist for Harpers and Queen, and I am doing a piece of Scottish traditional activities, and I was wondering if I could take up just a few minutes of your time?”

Ron looked at Martina who shrugged.

“Aye, why not!” he said, his refined accent apparent.

“Oh thank God! You are Scots!” said Helen with a grin. “I approached one couple, and found they were Welsh!”

Martina’s eyes twinkled, but she said nothing.

Helen took them aside, and they sat in a small side room.

She asked them various questions relating to the dances and their clothes. Rob answered all the questions, and then Helen turned to Martina.

“I see you wear the sash in the same tartan as your partner, why is that?”

“Ah well, that’s because we are engaged, and I do not directly belong to a specific clan!” Martina said, and Rob was hard pressed not to laugh, because Martina had spoken in a perfect educated Edinburgh accent!

“But I thought all Scots belonged to clans?”

“Och no! The clans come from the highlands, and some lowlanders married into them. My family have no clan blood, to my knowledge!” she said, still the actress.

Martina went on to describe a fictional family history involving a Dutch merchant, Flemish weavers and English soldiers of fortune. Helen was scribbling away in her shorthand, and Rob began to laugh, it was too much.

Helen looked at the couple, and saw their smiles. She realised that someone was the butt of a joke, and it was neither of them.

Martina burst out laughing.

“I am so sorry!” she said, in her normal accent. “I just couldn’t resist it.” She then went on to tell Helen the real family history, or rather the family history without her gender identity problems! Then Rob told her about his family, and there were some good tales there as well.

Martina went on to tell the woman about her aspirations to become an actress and performer, and told her about some of the shows and plays she had already done. Helen found this equally exciting, and after she had all she wanted, she arranged for some posed photographs to be taken, of the couple, and many more of Martina by herself.

She thanked them, and gave them a card. Martina was excited, as she may have a photograph of them published in the exclusive magazine! But as the holidays wore on, she forgot all about the incident.

All good things come to an end, and soon Bill, Jenny and Martina were to fly back down south. The whole Alexander family went to the airport with them, in two cars. They had a quite emotional farewell, except for Martina and Rob, who knew they would see each other in a few days back at school.

It was Lucy who noticed it first.

“Ma, look! There is a picture of Martina!” she said, pointing to the nearby newsagent. Everyone turned, and sure enough, there on the front cover of Harpers & Queen was Martina, looking exceptionally stunning in her long dress and sash. She rushed over, picked it up and stared at it. Martina joined her, and was amazed.

The picture was one of the posed ones, and it showed her from her waist up. She was smiling, and staring just off camera. She remembered Rob was distracting her by raising his kilt out of shot. She leafed through the magazine, and found a six page article on Scottish traditions, and a page and a half about her and Rob. There were six photographs of her, two of them with Rob, and four by herself. Most of them were taken when they had been dancing, and her laughter and smiles were not posed.

“Here, This isn’e a library, are youse gonna buy that or no?” said the assistant.

Martina showed the woman her picture on the cover.

“I am sorry, but this is me!” she said, and the woman gasped.

“Oh my! So it is! Heather, come here, this lassie is a model who’s on yon Harpers!” the woman called to her colleague.

Martina bought everyone in her little group a copy, and the two shop assistants insisted that she sign a copy for each of them.

“But I’m no one special!” she insisted.

“Maybe no yet, dear, but wi’ a face an’ body like yourn, ye will be famous soon enough! An’ we’ll already ha’e yer autograph!” the woman said, chuckling.

Several people, attracted by the slight commotion came over to have a nose. Martina signed every copy of Harpers the little shop had, and the assistant had to call through for more copies. The manager came to see what caused the sudden rush on a magazine that was normally quite a slow seller, and took two signed copies away with her.

Martina was on a high all the way home.
 
 
Chapter 13
 
 
Easter term brought early A level fever as far as the staff were concerned. Rob and Martina, who were bright and intelligent, chose neither to panic, not to become complacent, and quietly got on with their respective studies. The group played a bit, but as each individual was busy doing their own thing with respect to work and sport, they did not get together as much as Martina would have liked.

Rob was promoted to cadet Sergeant Major, and was heavily involved in running the cadet detachment. Martina was doing her gold Duke of Edinburgh’s award, and went off to Dartmoor at Easter to enjoy a long hike and camp in the rain. She then went to a residential home for the physical handicapped and worked there for a week, to allow some of the full time staff a break.

When the pair returned after the holidays, they had spent nearly four weeks out of touch, and Marcus was surprised as to how much more mature they had become. Rob was offered an Army Scholarship, which meant that if he were successful at A levels, he would be paid through University, with a guaranteed job at the end of it! He accepted, with some consultation with the future Mrs Alexander, of course. He wanted to do structural engineering, and the Royal Engineers were only too happy to offer him a Commission.

Martina still wanted to pursue an acting career, did not know which way she should go. She had made enquiries with various drama schools, and they had all made polite noises, and she knew that the competition was tough. She was advised to join equity, so that should anything happen to come along, she would already be a member.

She was not looking forward to leaving school, because it meant that she and Rob would have to go separate ways. But they had most definitely out grown the place. However, on the other hand, they were safe here, and together!

Rob had an interview at Edinburgh University, and was made an offer that meant he only needed one A and two Bs at A level. He was expecting As in Design and technology and Physics, with a B perhaps in Maths. He was pleased, for although his family lived up there, he had been away at boarding school for ten years! Martina began to get a crafty idea, and made some discrete enquiries.

She found Queen Margarets University College’s school of drama in Edinburgh, and wrote off to them, she fancied the BA Hons in Drama Studies. In due course she received a reply, and disappeared for a day visit for their open day. She was given an interview, and she produced her portfolio, containing all the dramatic work she had done to date, and they were very impressed. There was a short reading part she had to take part in, and they made her a very good offer. The course was full for the forthcoming autumn semester, but they suggested that she take a year out, and try to pick up some experience in the profession. She returned to school very pleased with herself.

The next morning, Rob sought her out, as she had only told the headmaster and her house parents where she was going. She was just leaving the dining hall.

“I missed you, where did you disappear to?” he said.

“Ah, that would be telling!” she said, full of mystery.

“I know you too well, you are looking smug, and so you have done something that you are pleased with!”

“Might have done!” she said, with a little smile.

“Are you going to tell me?”

“Maybe!”

He laughed.

“In your own time, then!” he said.

“Hmm, when are you starting at Edinburgh?”

Surprised at the change in subject, he frowned.

“Next September, why?”

“So what are you doing in your year out?”

“I don’t know! Look we have talked about this, until you know what you are doing we can’t make any plans!” he said, and then the penny dropped.

“You have sorted out a Drama school!” he said, and she nodded and grinned.

“Looking at the size of that grin, you haven’t only managed to get a place in Edinburgh, have you?”

She nodded again, and showed him the leaflet from her prospective drama school.

“Bloody Hell! Martina, how do you do it?”

“I don’t have to! Someone upstairs is looking after us!” she said.

At that moment Marcus came upon them.

“Ah, Martina, back already, how did you get on?” he asked.

“Very well, they will be making me a conditional offer!” she replied with a broad smile.

“It will be such a pity that you will be so far apart!” he said with a sly smile.

“Aye sir, four miles at least!” Rob said with a grin.

“Oh Martina, you told him!”

“He guessed! That is the problem when you know someone so well!” she said, smiling at Rob.

“So, your future is panning out still thus entwined!” Marcus said.

“It appears so, sir, yes!” said Martina.

“Have you set a date for the wedding?” he asked, teasing them.

“Yes, June the 30th on the year we both graduate!” said Rob, without batting an eye.

Marcus smiled.

“Ah, but where?”

“Wherever we happen to be!” she said, smiling at Rob again.

“Oh, if everyone could be so determined and sure of their future! Do not make too many plans, little ones, for life twists and turns to confound man at every step!”

“Oh, these aren’t plans, these are just events!” Martina said.

“Only they are in the future! Like Christmas next year, and the 4,sup>th July the year after!” said Rob.

Marcus had to laugh.

“As long as I am invited, that is all I ask!”

“Of course, but no speeches!” said Martina.

“Good, I do enough of them throughout the year!” he said, and wandered off still chuckling.

“So, what will we do for our year out?” Rob asked.

“I don’t care, as long as we are together!” she said.

“Do you still want to come to France?”

“Of course, as long as your family still want me!”

“Good, but I thought maybe we could do something different!”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know, just by ourselves!”

“We will have the rest of the year by ourselves, I love France!” she said.

“Okay, then we can see what else is available after that! I had an offer from the local Army Cadet unit, they want me to help run the unit for a couple of months, as the Lieutenant is due to go into hospital. They have agreed to allow me to continue as a Sergeant Major, but as an adult instructor. It would be good experience for me, but it would tie me down until Christmas.

“When do you have to tell them?”

“Not till the end of August.”

“Then lets wait and see what happens. I could always get a job in Edinburgh in the meantime.”

“That was something else, are we going to get a flat together or what?”

“Of course, Robbie, we can just be together, and it will be great!”

“You’ve already planned this, haven’t you?”

“No, not plans, just future events!” she said, teasing him.
 
 
The term progressed, A levels were taken, and the speech day arrived. The Alexanders, Bill, Jenny and Martina met in the usual place for their picnic. Major Mark Collins also appeared, once again in Uniform, and Lucy just swooned whenever he spoke to her.

Needless to say, the prizes were stockpiled at Martina and Robs feet, and everyone became tired of clapping them. They stood up together, and made a speech each, and as the co-wrote it all, neither stole the other’s thunder. They were witty and honest, and remarkably short, for which most of the audience were extremely grateful.

Marcus made a speech, in which he drew attention to the couple as an excellent example of commitment and determination, and he thanked them for doing such a remarkable job during the year, so much so that all the staff had found it one of the best years ever!

He ended thus, “So, we close another book, and watch our leavers as they open a fresh one. I will be eager to see where this particular couple are ten years from now, and secretly hope that they find it possible to end up in some form of teaching capacity. They have such talent and example, that it would be a shame that the future youth of this nation were not blessed by them in some way or other! Now I know Rob will become a soldier, and have no doubt, we shall see Martina’s name in lights!

“I anticipate that they will, in all probability, be man and wife! (laughter) And I take this opportunity to wish them, and the other leavers, all the best. May God be with you all!”

It dawned on them, that a long chapter of their lives was actually over, and all the safety and security was now gone. The big wide world was theirs, and the young couple had the advantage of not being alone.
 
 
Rob returned to Dorset with Martina, as the Alexanders had to return to Scotland for Lucy’s speech day. They would pick up the couple on their way through to France. But this time there was a wedding to attend!

Bill and Jenny were having a small ceremony in the local church, and Martina and Lucy were bridesmaids. Mark was giving his mother away, and the day after, the French party was off, and Bill and Jenny were to fly out to the Bahamas.

As soon as they got up the next morning, it was all hands on deck! The preparations had to be made. Jenny and Martina had decided to do all the catering themselves. A friend of Bill’s had a marquee, and so that was delivered, but they had to put it up themsleves!

This caused them endless mirth, and eventually they worked it out, and after six hours of sweating and swearing, it was erected!

All the brothers and their wives and girlfriends arrived, and Martina and Rob elected to sleep in the marquee. The local guesthouse had been commandeered, and Susan Cartwright found herself in charge of doing the flowers. The Alexanders, along with Lucy’s friend Kerry, arrived into this chaos, and found themselves ensconced in a borrowed luxury caravan, which offered a small area of peace and tranquillity in an otherwise chaotic scene.

Jenny wished she hadn’t sold the old house, but realised that financially it had made sense at the time. Besides, this was not going to be forever!”

Finally, much to everyone’s relief, the day arrived, and order was almost restored. Martina had to force her mother to leave the salmon to her, and to go and change! Then Rob had to force Martina to leave what was left of the salmon to him, so she could change!

In the end, everyone changed, and filled the small church. Bill looked very smart, with his brother as best man.

The Alexanders squeezed in at the last minute, as Lucy had been very fussy about her hair.

The organ started, and Jenny came down the aisle on her eldest son’s arm. Rob stared at Martina, and his eyes filled with tears, she was incredibly beautiful! Her blonde hair was up, and had a garland of white lilies in it. Her pale blue dress flowed, and the sun came through the open door, and made her appear to have a halo around her head. She truly looked like an angel. Little, or not so little Lucy looked so grown up, and very pretty too. Now an attractive teenager, she caused a few of the younger males to dribble.

But Jenny was the centre of attention, and Martina had done her hair beautifully! Her dress was simple and yet very elegant, and she looked ten years younger on this special day.

Bill stared at the three of them, and thanked God for the blessing He had bestowed. They took their places at the front of the church, and Martina looked at Rob and mouthed the words, “US NEXT!”

He smiled, and nodded.

Martina then noticed someone at the back of the church, and her blood ran cold. There, standing by a pillar was the same man, whom she had seen in that ditch, five long years ago. Michael, the angel!

She smiled at him, and he smiled in return. She looked away briefly, and when she looked back he was gone. She smiled, and felt blessed indeed.
 
 
The reception was not a large affair, but with her family and close friends, there were about a hundred people in the marquee. The food was superb, and the flowers gorgeous, but everyone knew that these were irrelevant! Jenny was at last free of her ex-husband, and had chosen another man, who was a completely different type of man.

Martina watched the pair of them together, and became aware that the timing was impeccable. She was due to go off and seek her fortune in the world, and Bill was here to look after her mother! She felt very humble at the designs and organisation that God had in place to ensure their continued protection. For the nth time, she offered a silent prayer of thanks.

They sat through the speeches, and every speaker made reference to the possibility of the next wedding being Martina and Rob’s. The latter pair simply held hands under the table, and vowed it so!

It was a warm day, and after the food and speeches, Martina escaped to the cool of the garden. She sat on the garden bench, and relaxed.

“Hello Martina! How are you?” a voice asked.

She turned and saw her mystery benefactor.

“Hello Michael, I saw you in the church.”

“You remembered my name?”

“Of course, I remember your name everyday when I thank Him for what happened.”

“I know. For that I thank you.”

“It is nice to see you,” she said, quite honestly.

“Hmm, you are the only one who can.”

“I guessed that.”

“You are a bright girl.”

“Thank you, but I just try to use what he has blessed me with.”

“Quite so. Your young man is very nice.”

“Yes, but then he would be, wouldn’t he?”

“How so?”

“Everything that has happened to me is a blessing, he is just one of them.”

Michael laughed.

“Quite so,” he said again.

“Just as I try to be a blessing to him.”

“Oh, Martina, how refreshing you are. If only others would be as you.”

“Others may not have the reason, others were not heard and so blessed.”

“Others have no reason to plead, as you did. They take their many blessings for granted, and do not even think of them as blessings.”

“I suppose.”

“Think, Martina, had you been born as you are now, would you have spent so long in anguish and prayer?”

“Probably not.”

“Then would you have simply taken who you were for granted, and just lived your life without thought of how or why?”

“Probably.”

“Then understand the meaning of blessing. To receive is much harder than to give, yet you have the gift of doing both with grace and delight. You were blessed five years ago, know then, you are doubly blessed now.”

“But why, I do not deserve it?”

“Deserts mean little, know that a loving God bestows blessings for no other reason than love. He gives in love, so in love receive what He gives.”

“Oh I do! And with a grateful heart,” she said, tears in her eyes.

“I must go! Farewell, my child, and bless you.”

“Wait! Will I see you again?”

“Quite so,” he said, and with a smile, vanished.
 
 
Rob came and found her. She was sitting with tears streaming down her cheeks, and a wonderful smile on her face.

“What’s up, little love?”

“Oh Robbie! Do you remember I told you about the man in the ditch, who was an angel?”

“Yes.”

“He has come back, and spoken to me. He says I have been doubly blessed.”

Rob sat down next to her. He knew that if she said she saw an angel, she probably saw an angel.

“I know you are. Because every day, I feel you bless me,” he said, and she cried more and flung her arms around his neck.

“Never ever leave me Robbie, - Promise?”

“I promise. As long as you never leave me.”

“I promise too. Oh we are so blessed.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Is it wrong to love someone as much as I love you?”

“I shouldn’t think so,” he said smiling at her.

“Someone said to me that is we never have any other boy or girlfriends, we will end up divorced.”

“Someone is a fool and doesn’t know us very well,” he said, and she smiled.

She kissed him.

“Come on, we should be getting back,” she said, and they returned to the party.
 
 
The next day, a taxi came for the happy couple, and took them to Heathrow. Mark and the rest of the family dismantled the Marquee, and tidied up. The Alexanders and Martina left for their ferry crossing, and life returned to normality.
 
 
Ron Johnson had a problem; he had a show to produce and not enough time to get everything done. And now, to compound it all, his wife had arranged a holiday in Brittany for the family. Miranda, his longsuffering wife, had given him an ultimatum, “Forget the show for just two weeks, or forget you’ve got a family!”

So he had had to put aside his work, and drive his wife, Miranda, his twelve-year-old son, Eddie, and his ten and fourteen year old daughters Jenny and Sarah, all the way over to some remote farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. He didn’t even have access to a telephone!

But he had to admit, he really needed the break. He couldn’t remember the last time he had been away with the family, and after two days, he began to unwind.

The girls met with an English girl called Lucy who was staying nearby, and her friend Kerry, who were both roughly the same age as Sarah. It seems that Lucy and her parents had been here for a few years, and they had a pool at their house. So the girls spent a lot of the time over there.

Lucy and Kerry had managed to hire some bicycles locally, and Ron went over to ask Lucy’s father from where he got them.

It was only a five-minute walk, and the weather was wonderful. He heard the sound of splashing before he saw their house. But then he heard a girl singing a piece from Evita, the famous song, “Don’t Cry for me, Argentina!”

This was close to Ron’s heart, as the show he was supposed to be producing was Evita. Only the major stars were all otherwise engaged, and he was struggling to find a cast in time. The London’s West End was relatively easy, but Ron was contracted to put on his production in Edinburgh of all places.

He walked into the yard and saw the girls in the small pool to one side. But sitting on a wall, was a very attractive girl with long blonde hair, with the most gorgeous legs and wearing a bikini. She was playing a guitar, and singing beautifully.

He stood for a while as she finished her song, and when she had finished, he walked up to her.

“Bonjour monsieur, peut est-ce que je t'aide?” she said, in her near perfect French.

“Oh, bonjoor, I don’t suppose you speak English as well as you sing, do you?” Ron said.

The girl laughed, a delightful sound.

“Oh, you’re English, so am I. I assume that everyone who wanders in is French. We don’t see too many Brits here. I’m Martina Bennett.” She said, and held out her hand.

“Hello Martina, I’m Ron Johnson. We have the house down the lane, I think that you may have my daughters Jenny and Sarah here somewhere.” He said.

“Oh you’re their dad, I think they are in the pool with Lucy. Eddie is around somewhere, I think Rob took him to try to get some fir cones for the barbeque.” She said.

“I loved your singing, you are very good, you aren’t in the business are you?” He asked, hopefully.

“I’ve only done a few shows while at school. I have had professional training with a Sheila Manning. I only left school last month. I hope to start at drama school in Edinburgh next year.” She said.

Ron was surprised, he had put her at about twenty.

“What are you going to do now?” He asked.

“When we get back, I thought I would ring up an agent and see if I couldn’t get a job somewhere. I joined equity a couple of weeks ago, and I still have a couple of contacts. But I will have to enrol in a Drama school first.” She said.

“How well do you know Evita?” Ron asked.

She laughed, “Too well, I played the title role in our school production. It was fun! But I suspect that Elaine Page did it much better!” She said.

“Could you sing me another number from the show, your choice?” Ron asked, his heart was racing; his problem may well have been solved. She was incredibly good looking, she had a lovely voice, and she had the training.

“Okay!” She said, and thought for a moment, and then went into one of the songs from the show. Ron was spellbound. Her voice was truly wonderful! Here, in a small French courtyard, he believed he had discovered a star!

“You won’t believe this, but I am producing the show in Edinburgh, starting on October the 1st, until just before Christmas. Would you be interested in the role of Evita?” he asked.

She frowned. “You mean as an understudy?” she asked.

“No, I want you to play Eva Peron. I want you to be the star,” he said.

She went very quiet.

“Is there something wrong?” he asked.

“No, it’s probably me being really thick. Are you asking me if I want to take the title role in a major production of Evita at a large theatre in Edinburgh for three months?” she asked.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I’m asking,” Ron said.

“But I have no experience, you don’t know me,” she protested.

Ron sat beside her.

“Look Martina, I’ve been in the business for a long time. I know quality when I see it. You have it all going for you. You have a great voice, you look lovely, and you have energy. Yes, it may be a risk, but you know the part, you know the songs, you know the music, and I believe you could do it,” he said.

“It is very different doing three shows over three days at a school, to doing daily shows over three months. I don’t know if I could manage it,” she told him, quite honestly.

“Well, I don’t think you would have a problem. But if you want to think about it, then let me know before you head back to the UK,” he said.

“Don’t get me wrong, it sounds perfect, but I don’t know whether I would be good enough,” she said.

“Martina, please believe me, you would be good enough. You are far better than half the supposed stars who all believe they are far better than they really are,” Ron said.

She smiled. “It does sound rather good,” she admitted.

“When you consider that you would get  £1,000 a week for as long as it is on, it should sound even better. Then you have the knock on effects of the recording contracts and the royalties. I’m offering you a golden opportunity. Don’t miss it,” he said.

She made a decision.

“All right, but I want a proper contract, and fee levels in line with national standards. Also, I want a release clause if I am just not up to it,” she said.

Ron was quite surprised, this was one switched-on girl.

He agreed, and invited her to contact an agent friend he knew, just to check on the current rates of pay and conditions.

She declined, saying, “Oh, I know a blessing when I see one. It sounds too good to be true, so I will agree to it, before you disappear.”

They discussed a few of the finer details, and Ron told her that he would have a contract drawn up, and she could inspect it, and take any advice she wanted. He was so pleased that he offered her higher payment than was normal for an unknown.

Rob and Eddie arrived, carrying a huge basket of fir cones.

“Hi dad! We have all been invited to a barbeque, I was going to come over and ask you and Mum. Can we stay, it is brilliant here?” the young lad asked, expecting his dad to refuse.

“Of course, I will go and get your mother. It sounds fun,” he said, and walked off whistling “Don’t cry for me Argentina”.

“Cor, I wouldn’t have thought he’d have let us,” Eddie said.

Rob started putting the barbeque together, and Martina went to help Mary prepare the food.

She found her in the kitchen.

“I see you’ve invited our neighbours’ parents?” she said.

“Yes, they are nice kids, and it makes a change for Lucy to have several her age!” Mary said. “Besides we have more than enough!”

Martina silently helped prepare the salad, and Mary noticed that the girl seemed rather thoughtful.

“You are very thoughtful, what’s up?” she asked.

Martina grinned.

“Well, you will never believe this, but Ron Johnson, Eddie’s dad, is a theatrical producer, and is contracted to put on Evita in Edinburgh from October to December 15th. He has just offered me a part in the show!”

“No? Really?” Mary asked, completely shocked.

“Yup! Good isn’t it?”

“My God, it is brilliant! I can’t believe it. How did he know you knew the part?”

“I was singing a couple of numbers from the show, and he gave me a sort of audition in the yard,” she replied grinning.

“Oh! How unbelievable! What is the part?”

“Eva Peron.”

Mary stared at her.

“Martina, don’t be silly, that's the title role.”

“I know, I told him it was silly, but he insisted,” she said, and told her about the pay and conditions attached. Mary had to sit down. John came in and found his wife looking dazed and shaking her head.

“Mary, are you okay darling?”

Mary looked at him and simply smiled.

“Martina, you had better tell him, I am still in shock.”

So, Martina repeated her tale, and John sat down next to his wife.

“Good isn’t it?” the girl asked, and carried on preparing supper.

“Martina, you know that things like this just never happen?” John asked.

“I know, but then this is me, and I am not normal.”

The sound of voices broke the spell, and John went to greet the Johnsons.

Miranda was amazed that Ron was eager to share a meal with a strange family. He was usually so anti-social it was a pain! But he had suddenly become a changed man! He had been withdrawn and worried about his precious show, and suddenly he appeared saying they had been invited to a barbeque with a really nice family, and wasn’t it a lovely holiday?

Then she met Martina, and after a little while the cogs turned, and she discovered that here was the reason that her husband was so cheerful! Martina told her about Ron’s offer, and it all fell into place. She was actually pleased, as they could now enjoy the holiday with the major problem solved! She also knew what he was like with young attractive budding stars, and then she met Rob. Who, at six foot four, and looking every inch the soldier he would shortly become, made her smile.

She watched the two young people interact, and smiled even more, Martina was clearly unavailable, and woe betide anyone who crossed this young man!

They had a really pleasant meal, and although the Alexanders were totally different type of people to the Johnsons, they actually became quite good friends. The children particularly enjoyed each other’s company. Eddie had been pretty fed up with his sister, but in Rob he found an elder brother figure who was happy to have the younger boy hanging about, and helping him with the chores. Eddie also adored Martina, thinking she was the most wonderful girl he had ever seen. This was not lost on Rob or Martina, and she flirted with him outrageously!

Martina was very excited about the role she had been offered, but she was mature enough to have concerns, and John advised her to contact an agent as soon as she returned to England.

The holiday flew past, and soon everyone returned home. Rob stayed with Martina as neither wished to be separated from the other for long, and besides they were both free of commitments.

Martina was conscious of her complete lack of knowledge and experience with the show business world. She knew that she should have an agent, and immediately thought of Hilda England’s friend.

Martina eventually managed to find Hilda England’s number and gave her a ring. She wanted to contact Mary Sanderson, whom she met all those years ago, and who was, hopefully, still an agent.

Hilda answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Hilda. You probably don’t remember me, but you were very kind to me six years ago! I am Martina Bennett.”

“Martina Bennett?”

There was a pause. Martina remembered the various changes that had occurred over the last five years, and grinned.

“You may remember me as Martin, or Marti Collins?”

“Oh dear Lord! Yes of course. Martina you said?” Hilda sounded a little confused.

“Yes. It's a long story, but I'm after Mary Sanderson’s number. I’ve been offered a role in a musical, and I would like her to be my agent.”

“Hang on, I have it here somewhere. Yes, her it is. But look, oh my goodness, there is so much I want to talk to you about. I have one question, has your prayer been answered?”

“Oh, Hilda! I am so sorry I haven’t been in touch before, but yes, it has. In a way I could never have dreamed possible.”

“Oh, how wonderful for you. I often think of you, and still pray for you regularly. Are you still ever this way? As I should love to see you.”

Martina thought quickly, and watched Rob through the window, playing with Turbo.

“We could come down for tea today, I suppose, if that is convenient.”

“Why that would be lovely. You said we? Is that your mother?”

“No, mother is in the Bahamas on her honeymoon. I'm still with Rob, we're engaged to be married.”

There was another silence.

“Martina, I can’t wait to see you both, this sounds a story that will enthral me for months. I will contact Mary and see if she is free as well.”

“That would be super, thanks, and we will see you at about three this afternoon?”

“Lovely. Bye.”

Hilda rang off, and immediately called her friend, who was free for tea that afternoon. She told her nothing, and was quite excited to see how life had treated young Marti Collins. Certainly the voice on the phone was that of a young woman, and it exuded a degree of confidence and maturity that startled her.

Mary arrived at three o’clock, and found Hilda in an uncharacteristic mood. She was fidgety and seemed excited, and kept looking up the lane. Eventually, she could take no more and she asked Hilda what was the matter.

“I have asked a couple of friends for tea, and I hope they know the way.”

Five minutes later a small blue Peugeot pulled up outside Hilda’s small cottage. Hilda was out the front door like a shot, and, bemused, Mary followed.

He arrived to see Hilda greet a tall, very pretty girl, with long gorgeous blonde hair, as she had hardly got out of the driver’s seat. She was in a very pretty dress, and had super legs and had been driving in bare feet. She watched as the girl put on a very nice pair of high heeled shoes, and embraced Hilda as a long lost daughter. There was something vaguely familiar about the girl, but then she had met so many over the years.

A rather large young man extricated himself from the passenger seat, and grinned at Hilda. He was incredibly handsome, and was dark haired and very muscular. He was wearing a short sleeved shirt and khaki trousers.

“You remember Robbie?” the girl was saying.

“Of course, Rob, my dear, how are you?” Hilda said, and kissed him on the cheek. He had a slight Scottish accent.

“I’m really well, thanks. It is super to see you again.”

“It has been a long time,” Hilda said.

“Five years,” the girl said.

“Is it really? Gosh, how you have changed.”

The girl smiled, and it was such a lovely smile, that it was infections, and everyone was smiling with her. Mary observed the eye contact between the couple, and noticed the engagement ring on her finger. These two were very much an item, and there was no doubt about that.

“Martina, Mary is here, and I was so pleased she was free. I haven’t told her you were coming, as I wanted it to be a surprise. Mary, do you remember Martina?” Hilda asked.

Mary frowned, and for the life of her could not remember the occasion she met the girl. She was familiar, but she tried to go back five years, and it just didn’t come.

The girl laughed.

“Hilda you are very cruel. Mary, we met at Halsey House, when Rob and I were in a play there.”

Suddenly it came to her. This very feminine and natural young woman was that little boy who should have been a girl. And Rob had been her friend.

Her hands flew to her face and she shook her head.

“Oh dear Lord! I don’t understand,” she said.

Martina laughed, and linked her arm through Rob’s.

“Then we shall have to tell you our story,” she said, as Hilda led them through to the garden.

The tea and cakes were placed on the patio table, and Mary and Hilda sat, spellbound, as Martina and Rob told their story. It took some telling, and Mary just shook her head in disbelief.

“So you always were a female, but through a strange quirk of anatomical fate, it wasn’t discovered until puberty?” Mary asked.

“Something like that. I prefer to believe that my prayers were answered! But, the important thing is I am a perfectly normal girl, and we are going to have lots of babies together,” she said, holding Rob’s hand, and smiling at him.

Martina then went on to explain about her offer from Ron Johnson. Mary was surprised, yet nothing this girl seemed to say was usual, so she began to expect the unexpected from her.

It was certainly an exciting offer, and she was only too pleased to become Martina’s agent.

“Oh, that is super. I have been worrying about it so much. It seemed too good to be true, so if you could handle all negotiations with Ron, it will make things so much easier. I just want to sing! So if I get paid for it, that is a bonus,” Martina said. Giving Mary all her contact details for Ron.

“I will phone him when I get home, and arrange for the contract to be sent through to me for scrutiny. You would be amazed what gets put in the small print sometimes.”

The business aside, they spent a very pleasant afternoon together. Neither woman found it easy to believe that Martina could ever have been a boy, as she was the epitome of young womanhood at her finest.

They wanted to ask so many questions, that Rob never thought they would get away. But after five o’clock they managed to escape.

They drove off down the lane, leaving two bemused and enlightened women.

“Phew, that was a bit of a heavy session,” Rob said.

“It was necessary. I should have made contact ages ago, so it needed to happen. And now I have an agent. Isn’t that exciting?”

They passed the gates for Halsey House.

“Shall we go in, just for a look?” Rob asked.

Martina thought about it, and indicated and drove through the gates for the first time since they had both left, five years ago.

Everything seemed smaller, somehow, and rather tatty! She drove slowly up to the front of the main school building, and pulled to a stop.

“That was our dorm window for the last year,” Rob said, pointing to an upstairs window.

Martina looked at the cricket pavilion.

“That is where you kissed me, and told me that as far as you were concerned I was a real girl,” she said, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

He leaned across, and held her.

“I was right, wasn’t I?”

“Mmm. Thanks for believing in me. I loved you so much at that moment. It nearly killed me seeing you every day, and not being able to tell you.”

“Well, you can now, and do,” he said, kissing her.

Commander Hesketh was in his study, so he glanced up at the small blue car, which had just pulled up outside the school.

Thinking it could be some prospective parents; he made his way to greet them. When he came down the steps, he saw that the two young people were too young to be parents, so he was curious.

When the tall young man got out of the car, and said, “Hello Commander!”

He instantly recognised him as young Rob Alexander. He shook him warmly by the hand.

“Rob! How lovely to see you. Now you must tell me how you have got on. I haven’t seen you for five years or more,” he said.

Rob just grinned, and the Commander noticed his very attractive companion get out from behind the wheel. She flicked her long blonde hair back with a practised gesture, and slipped her high heels onto her pretty feet. The Commander glanced at Rob, now here was a very fortunate young man with exceptional taste, as the girl was a dream!

The girl searched in the car for her bag, and the Commander could not help but appreciate her stunning figure and wonderful long legs.

To change focus, he forced himself to ask Rob a question.

“Tell me whatever happened to your friend, Martin Collins? He was such a consummate little actor, I shouldn’t wonder that he is not an actor by now?”

The girl came over to him, a strange smile on her face.

“Hello Commander, remember me?” she said.

The Commander frowned, as he thought why she seemed so familiar. At that moment his dear wife walked over to the small group.

“Hello Mrs Hesketh,” the girl said, and the Commander watched as his wife face went through a range of expressions, from polite curiosity to confusion, to recognition and then amazement.

“Marti?” she asked, hesitantly.

“That’s right, but it is Martina now.”

“Oh my word! Look at you!”

“I am what I always knew I should be,” she said.

The Commander was having difficulty coming to terms with what his eyes were telling him.

Rob laughed, and took him to one side as his wife chatted to Martina. Rob explained the whole story, and the Commander was staggered.

“You mean he was a she all the time he, or she, was here?”

“That’s right.”

“And she is really a she, not a he who has had an operation?”

“No, she has not been anywhere near a surgeon, and is wholly a fertile and normal girl. I should know, we are getting married when we finish our respective degree courses.”

The Commander ended up inviting the young couple for dinner, and they accepted. It was simple fare, but the conversation was sparkling. Several times, both the Commander and his wife were rendered totally speechless by what one or other of the pair told them.

They were interested in their choice of career paths, so it did not surprise either of them that they were going the routes they were.

“Why a BA in drama, surely there are other courses to get you on the boards faster?” Mrs Hesketh asked Martina.

“I am not sure I want to tread the boards forever. I want to be a wife and mother as well. I don’t think it is fair to be a working actress and a mother at the same time. But I have half a mind to go into teaching! I feel that I have so much I could offer young people, and if I can give back a fraction of what has been given to me, I shall feel satisfied,” she said.

“Well, my dear, remembering how you dealt with the fourth form, all those years ago! If you even need a job, then give me a call,” The Commander said.

At first she thought he was joking, and then she realised that he was perfectly serious.

“Thanks, you never know,” she said with a smile.

The Commander then took them on a tour of the school. Many more facilities had been added since they had left, and it was now a very competitively equipped little school.

They finally left at nearly eleven o’clock, and Martina drove them home. They were both quiet, lost in their own thoughts and memories. They returned to an empty house, as Jenny and Bill were not due back until the following day.

They went straight to bed, and Rob held a naked Martina close after making very tender love to her.

“Imagine being caught in bed together in the dorm at Halsey House,” he said.

“I dreamed of going to bed with you, but usually ended in tears knowing that I had not got the right equipment.”

Rob was quiet for a while.

“I don’t believe the medical answer,” he said.

"What do you mean?”

“It doesn’t make sense. It never did. I knew Martin, I had grown up with you, I had seen you in the showers, and you were a boy! I do not accept that the bits of flesh, your penis and stuff, were a mistake. No, Martina, I believe that you became who you are through a miracle!”

“So do I. But no one else would, so we had to come up with something.”

He kissed her head, and she snuggled in close to him, letting her hand slide across his firm flat belly. She then slid it downwards, across his navel, and across his thick curly pubic hair. He still was moist with their combined juices, and she gently stroked his manhood. Soon he responded, and she had a handful of erect penis.

“Do you think I could still be a boy?” she teased.

“No way!”

“Wouldn’t you fancy me if I was Martin?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Then you would have to play with my willy.”

“Shut up Martina.”

“You could always have buggered me.”

“Martina, enough!”

She laughed, and kissed him.

“I’m very glad I am a girl.”

“So am I.”

“Then fuck me again, my love,” she said, and he did!
 
 
Chapter 14
 
 
The final curtain call over, Martina went to her dressing room and collapsed, drinking nearly a litre of cold water. Despite it being below freezing outside, she was still aglow with the adrenaline and applause she had received. The sound of the applause and cheers were still ringing in her ears, and she had that same silly grin stuck on her face that she had on the opening night.

That had been three months ago, and she had grown up enormously since then.

But still she received the most enormous buzz out of the positive reaction from the audience. Ron Johnson had been as nervous as she on that first night, and by the end, he was found totally blasted in the bar.

She had started well, and improved. The cast were generally not well known, so she did not feel too out of place when she had arrived for the first session. By the end of the first performance she was accepted for the potential star she undoubtedly was.

Her one main concern was that her voice would not hold out. But she needn’t have worried, after the first week, with two performances on the Saturday, she was still going as strong as ever, if not stronger. Her understudy was a young local girl, and she was so shy that Martina seriously worried that she would not have coped if she had to take a night off.

In the event, the show was now closed, and she had not missed a performance! The reviews had been mainly very positive about the show generally, but totally brilliant about her. Rob threatened to have someone come in and expand the doors so she could get her head through!

She had started off living with the Alexanders, and then rented a small studio flat near to the theatre. Rob moved in, and went halves on the rent. He took the post with the ACF, and was busy for much of the time. They settled into a very domesticated life style, and their love blossomed. She seriously toyed with the idea of having a baby, forgetting drama school, and just becoming an army wife. It was Rob who told her not to be so silly, as they had plenty of time.

Ron was ecstatic over her performance and stamina, and she suddenly found herself with offers from all over the place. She accepted the role of Wendy in Peter Pan, the Pantomime, in Edinburgh, and would be playing alongside some famous comedians and personalities.

There was a knock on her door, and Rob popped his head round it.

“Hi sweetie! How did it go?”

“Brilliant! We had a standing ovation tonight. I almost wish it was continuing.”

“All good things must end. It is better to go out on a high than with empty houses.”

“I know, come here. I missed you,” she said, and they had a cuddle.

“Are we always going to be like this?” he asked, kissing her.

“I hope so.”

There was another knock on the door, and Ron appeared.

“Martina! Oh, hi Rob. That was superb, right up to the line. Wonderful, darling. Absolutely wonderful.”

He gave her a huge bouquet of flowers, and reminded her that there was the final party afterwards.

There were a lot of people at the party, and Rob’s parents were there! Everyone was effusive with praise for the young star, and Martina was on cloud nine! The posters were already out publicising the Panto, and her picture was on most of the maroon city buses.

Jenny had been up to stay with the Alexanders, and come to a couple of the performances. She had been shocked, but in a very pleasant way, at the amount that Martina had matured. She was a wholly different person to that little boy who donned skirts for the first time, and so decided his new destiny.

The young couple’s social life had taken off. Rob was already established in the social scene, and Martina had been introduced to it as his girlfriend. But now, as the star of the show that had taken the city by storm, she could hardly set foot out of her front door without someone recognising her. She was in demand by anyone who was anybody, and she had to decline hundreds of invitations.

She did accept anything to do with children and hospitals. And was often in the papers visiting the children’s wards, and youth projects. Rob was amazed at her stamina, as she would often snatch a few hours sleep, and then she would be up early to go and visit some sick children.

As they walked home from the party at three in the morning, Rob asked whether she was planning anything after the Panto run.

“I don’t think so. I am bloody knackered,” she said.

“You still cram to much into your week,” he said, and she laughed.

“While I can, I will,” she replied.

“Why don’t we go on holiday somewhere?”

“I’d like that. Where?”

“I don’t know! To be honest, as long as I am with you, I don’t care.”

So they did nothing, the Panto run was a huge success, and placed Martina Bennett firmly on the show-biz map. Rob impressed his ACF superiors so much that they wrote to the CIC (Scotland) to commend his work and he found himself with a ACF Commission. He attended various courses, and as a Second Lieutenant (ACF) he was one step closer to his goal.

Mary Alexander started her business, and had to expand almost immediately, due to high demand for her work. And settled down to see her dreams come true. She never forgot who had urged her to at least try, and in all her advertising, she clearly stated, Supported and recommended by Martina Bennett, star of EVITA and other productions. Martina had many wonderful outfits and dresses designed and made by Mary, all free.

This had the knock-on effect of several production companies approaching Mary and she acquired several lucrative contracts for both individual performers and whole wardrobe departments in productions.

By the time Martina started at Drama School, she had been in two shows and a play. Her bank balance was healthy, and she had her feet securely placed on the ground. She had loved the singing parts, but the play she had been in, had been a tragic drama, involving a gruelling part for her as a young woman who has to have an abortion after being raped.

She had taken to the part brilliantly, and although it was produced in a small theatre, with a relatively inexperienced cast, the reviews were very positive, and the house was always full!

In her first week at Drama school, they all had to give a little introduction of themselves to their fellow students. Martina’s tutor, one Simon Bellings, paled a little as she calmly recounted the impressive list of productions she had been involved in. It was only when he recognised her from Evita that he decided to take her to one side, and question whether she actually needed to be there!

He appreciated her desire to obtain a BA, and warned her that much of the work would be rather demeaning for someone with her experience. She had simply smiled, and just got on with the work humbly and thoroughly. By the end of the second semester, he was pleased she was there, as she was a superb asset in the class. The music tutor, after hearing her sing, and connecting her to Evita and the other show, immediately went through a similar process as Simon, but was equally thrilled by her contribution.

Rob was like a pig in shit! He took to engineering like a natural, and stormed through his first year. He adored living with Martina, and they loved their lives as students. They both were very gregarious, and mixed with other students from both colleges. Rob found some of the drama students a bit odd, but he was able to get on with most people.
 
 
The next two years went past like a dream, Mary’s business flourished and she seriously considered re-locating to the London area. But common sense prevailed, and she simply opened a second branch in London, with one of her colleagues managing it. Martina and Rob both graduated from their respective universities, Martina with a BA in Drama, and Rob with a BSc in Engineering.

The graduation ceremony was yet another joint event, where they shone above all their contemporaries. Rob had his date for Sandhurst in the following January, and then off to the Army Engineering College at Shrivenham.

Martina accepted a part in her first Hollywood movie, to play along side Matt Damon in an FBI thriller, set in Washington DC and New York. She played the part of a Russian Embassy secretary, who was considered expendable in an attempt to embezzle funds from a bent arms deal with South Americans. It was highly complex, but she played a gutsy girl who gave as good as she got, and fell in love with the hero. She had won the part for her very authentic sounding Russian accent, and her cool Nordic looks. Ron Johnson had recommended her to a friend and this friend knew the production team, and she was asked to attend for a screen test. As it happened one of the associate producers just happened to see her in Evita in Edinburgh, a few years before, and she suddenly found herself with the part!

Rob went off to Sandhurst, and she flew out to America. Within days of her landing, and being in the publicity shots for the movie, rumours were rife about who she was sleeping with!

Once she was ensconced in the studio life, it was anything but glamorous! She worked very hard, and elected to do many of her own stunts, which saved the producers some money. She quickly endeared herself with the crew, who found her humility and humour a wonderful and refreshing change from the usual prima Donna attitudes of the supposed stars!

In the six months it took to complete the movie, she began to realise that her face was becoming well known, and more offers of work were coming through Mary, he agent, every week.

She called Rob whenever she could, despite the time differences. He loved his training, and they would tell the other everything they had done. Some calls lasted hours!

She flew home for his Passing Out parade, and was with his proud parents as they arrived in John’s Range Rover, to watch him on his special day.

Rob saw them arrive and his heart gave a lurch. They had not seen each other for six months, and as she got out of the car, he was amazed at how much she had changed.

She was wearing a very expensive black dress, trimmed in gold, and shaped to show her figure off to its finest degree. It was quite tight at the knee, but had a split up the back, so she could walk. She had black and gold high heels on, and a broad brimmed black cowboy hat with gold trimmings. Her hair shone, and she looked every inch the movie star she now was.

She mingled with some of the other relatives, and she looked up and saw Rob. She smiled and waved. Her smile lit up the dull Berkshire day.

Rob was standing by one of his colleagues, Steve Redman, who said.

“Bloody Hell, look at her! Makes the rest of them seem positively dowdy. I wonder who she is?”

“Her name is Martina Bennett, she's an actress,” Rob said, smiling.

“Do you know her?” Steve said, hopefully.

“Yes,” Said Rob, as he put his hat on. “I should do, we're getting married in a few months.” Then he left his gaping friend, and went down and embraced his fiancée.

The day progressed, the band played, the officer cadets marched, and the adjutant’s horse went up the steps and they all passed out! At the Commissioning Ball, Second Lieutenant Rob Alexander had the most glamorous woman on his arm, making several women feel terribly plain and insignificant by comparison.

She wore a crimson gown, with her hair up, and long crimson gloves. She sparkled with her diamonds in her tiara and necklace. She was absolutely stunning, and Rob was so proud he almost choked.

She only had eyes for him, and although she accepted dances from several others, he was always there to greet her, and they would be together for as much as possible.

“You look so dashing in your dress uniform,” she told him.

“I am dull compared to you.”

“I love you so much. It has been so hard these last six months.”

“When shall we get married?”

“Now?”

He laughed. “We will have to wait for another few months, I have the engineering college to attend.”

“Why, you already have your degree?”

“Because that doesn’t cover military engineering. Explosives and stuff.”

“Oh!” she said, looking worried.

A tall man in a similar dress uniform to Rob came over. He was a lieutenant colonel.

“Rob, are you going to introduce me to the most stunning woman in the room?”

“Colonel! Martina, this is Lieutenant Colonel Richards, my CO in the Royal Engineers. Sir, this is Miss Martina Bennett, my fiancée!”

He took her hand, and kissed the back of her fingers.

“You are far too beautiful to be a humble soldier’s wife. What, pray, do you do for a living?”

“I am an actress and singer,” she said.

“Ah, have you been in anything I may have seen?”

Martina listed her few shows and plays, and he shook his head.

“I saw Evita in London, but Elaine Page was in the title role then.”

“I have the premier of a movie opening in New York next week,” she said, and he smiled.

“I am afraid I don’t get out to movies very much.”

“Then you are the poorer because of it,” she said with a smile.

He spirited her away for a dance, and he found her an intelligent and pleasant girl. He wondered whether she would make it as an army wife. She seemed to read his mind.

“I am aware of the pressures of an army wife, and I go into this with my eyes open and both feet on the ground,” she said, with a smile.

“It is not an easy life for a girl!”

“Neither is being the husband of an international movie star,” she said. He smiled, not fully understanding her.
 
 
The next day, as Martina and Rob set off for his week’s leave in America, his commanding officer, Colonel Mike Richards opened his newspaper, and there, on the front page, was a photograph of Martina and Rob, taken just after the Passing Out Parade, with the caption underneath. They were both looking their best, and he noticed how happy they appeared.
 
 

Hollywood’s latest British Star to marry Army Officer

    The engagement was announced today of the stunning actress Martina Bennett, who stars with Matt Damon in Catcher’s Five, the Hollywood blockbuster that is due for release in New York next week, and 2nd Lieutenant Rob Alexander, of the Royal Engineers.
    Seen here together at his Commissioning at Sandhurst yesterday. The couple have been engaged for some time, have waited until now to formally announce it, as they are both now following their chosen careers.
    The glamorous Martina (23), originally from Dorset, has starred in many shows and plays, is excited over her forthcoming marriage.
    “We have been waiting for ages for this, and I will happily set aside my career to start a family! But not quite yet!”
    Catcher’s Five is her first big role in a movie, and she actually did many of her own stunts.
    She plays Natasha, a plucky Russian girl, caught in the middle of arm dealers and terrorists, set amidst gangland New York and bureaucratic Washington. With only one FBI agent (Damon) she can trust, Natasha knows the only way out is to break the deal wide open, and she pits her wits against corrupt officials and dastardly dealers to win through. The movie is due for release in the UK in eight weeks time.
    The couple are spending a week in New York, before Lieut. Alexander returns to undertake a course. Martina is due to attend the Premier with her new fiancé on Saturday.

 
 


 
The End of the Beginning!

 

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful, Just Wonderful

The final chapters are so uplifting. The fairy tale of fairy tales.

Thank you for sharing.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Complaint

My only complaint is that I have to find the time to read your stories. I really have other things to do.

Thanks for another great read.

DJ

I love the tales you spin for us

As others have said, they are not 1 dimensional, not even two dimensional.
You portray even the more important spear carriers well enough for us to see them as people, not just part of the scenery, and the more important characterrs are vividlyportrayed.
Maybe my mind's eye view isn't the same as yous, but it is good enough to make your characters real.

And again, as others have said, of the 8 stories of yours I have read, I like this one best, and I've read it several times.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Brilliant!

I loved the story.

The simple idea of your heroine singing "Don't cry for me Argentina" brought me to tears.

Thank you.

Battery.jpg

Again

I am at a loss as to what to say about your story. I always want more, but you give so much. I'll just keep it simple and say THANK YOU!

Tanya, Your story is really

Tanya,
Your story is really wonderful and such an easy read. I thank you for as I believe others do or will also. I do hope that you will continue it so we can all see how the couple turn out. Your stories are a delight to read. J-Lynn

Shit Happens...

This is the first comment I have made. I found my eyes leaking a few tears at the end of the second installment. I get that way in movies too. It's just wonderful stuff and I look forward to reading the last portion. It has been, and will continue to be...a pleasure.

wonderful

I actually cried in places and laughed aloud in others, took me completely in to their lives. Thank you
Jo xxxx

Jo xxxx

sweet

Read this story with tears in my eyes, It was so sweet and lovely....thank you Tanya

kirri

Fantastic, just Fantastic.

Of all the 100's of stories I have read here on BC, this has been one of the best. This is the second time I have read it and both times I had to tear myself away to attend to necessities of life. I could not wait to get back to it again. I hope more excellant stories are forthcomming from this great author.

Debra Sue

re: shit happens

i found this to be a wonderful story. so good to see someone put a thought of angels in. i do believe in miracles.
robert

001.JPG

Hi Tanya!

Hi Tanya, I hope all is going well, I just finished reading "Shit Happens, But So Do Miracles!", I really enjoyed It. Taarpa

Truly a blessed life and a blessed story

Martina's life after Halsey is truly blessed. As Michael asked, would she appreciate her life and blessings if she had not gone through what she did? You do have to go through the shit to appreciate getting out of it.

This is truly one of your best stories, Tanya. You play our emotions to the full extent. Reading this story was a true pleasure, crying and laughing and being so involved. Thank you for sharing.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Very lovely story

from the very first part to the last it was a wonder to read.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I love it!!

Jennifer Foxx's picture

I absolutely love this story...!
I have read and re-read it numerous times....and it just keeps getting better each time I read it.
It is wonderful..!
Huggs...
Jenn

What? The End already?

Haylee V's picture

I can't help but be confused by the ending. I'm wondering just how Martina and Rob go from a British premiere and commission to her being at the hospital giving birth. Too much has been left to the reader's imagination, and the story just SCREAMS sequel. Please consider writing more, if only to appease this very hungry fan...

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V

dearest

Haylee, i fully agree with your sentiment
cinnamon

I just finished

this delightful tale. I have read so many amazing authors over the years, Hemingway, Keats, Shakespeare, Poe, Shelly, and on and on and on. Now I have discovered my two all time favorite authors on this site. You are a power, an incandescence, the gentle waft of a Mothers breath that soothes her baby as it shivers from night terrors. Your work is a thing of magic and you allow us to live through your character briefly as we read along. I shall have to divert some of my limited liquid income to obtain what you have on sale. Now if I could just sit and read your and Sarah Lynn Morgans magical tales, I could die happy. Thank you Ms. Allan for restoring my faith in miracles, and giving me hope my poor benighted Cousin John may live yet. God bless you both. Such magic in words, such warmth in giving. God bless you, for releaving me, even for a few moments of the torment of watching a man who has meant more to me than my father or brother, as he slowly wastes and dies. The pain is terrible, but you do give me escape for a time. T.

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

Binge read

Oh my goodness. What a great read. I was often wondering when the dark side might rear its head but then relaxed and enjoyed his wonderful fairytale.

Forever grateful to my own guardian angles.

Enchanting.

What a great ending to a beautiful and enchanting story.. In their own world, Martina and Rob live happily ever after.

Thank you.

this story

has been written so well it is just like someone wrote their autobiogragraphy....exquisite and
very entertaining, it had me in tears several times over. thank you so much for such a delightfull tale