The Beautiful Girl in Town 5 The Not-So-Easy Adjustment

Printer-friendly version


The Beautiful Girl in Town 5
The Not-So-Easy Adjustment


By Jessica C


=^_^=

Bruce found attending school as himself and practicing for the play as Samantha was a bit confusing. That and continuing to be tutored by Deanne was like juggling; he felt a moment away from losing control. “You are doing well”, Deanne said to Bruce as he continued to improve his learning and study habits. “You are doing well, Samantha. It feels like you are my sister when we’re on stage.” She said, “I would feel angry with Roxanne if I found her going behind my back like Molly.”

Late in the second Act, Molly was hurt by her would-be boyfriend, who just discarded her like a throwaway doll. Molly still had a secret she was afraid to tell her older sister.

They have been given three scenarios one of which will be in the closing Act. Bruce’s parents are coming to the dress rehearsal which will have the first two acts. Some of the third Act had been practiced, but tonight would include the alternate ending Ms. Hughes chose. The night before Mom, Carole Sanders, is comforting her daughter who has a bad case of performance jitters. Carole is impressed, “Samantha, I am hearing rumors that you are doing well, and have become a fine actress in your own right.” She hugged Samantha as she was back from their last regular rehearsal. “I have begun a bubble bath as I am sure you are in need of relaxing and some TLC.”

“Mom, we rehearsed all three alternate endings, and I have a mixture of excitement and anxiousness that they’ll pick the one involving me. The three alternate acts were rough. I’m not sure how it will turn out. Plus, there’s an ending only two characters know. And I’m not one of them. I’m not a seasoned actress, how can Deanne say, I’ll be okay?”

=^_^=


Bruce is to go to school as Samantha but is to be at the school administration building doing Bruce’s school work, so he won’t be marked as missing school. Samantha’s thinking about Act 3; Molly’s slinky clothes she wore at the end of Act One and through all of Act Two are to be gone. She’s hurt by the reputation that she had gotten from her ex-boyfriend.

Mom says, “I am surprised that Ms Hughes took on such a challenging play. It is timely, but most schools would never have touched such a challenge. I think you should be real proud of being in the play.”

Bruce didn’t know his parents had given their consent two weeks ago for Bruce to be involved in this ending. Megan will actually be Samantha’s and Deanne’s stagemother for Act Three. Permission includes for the play to be recorded and possibly be shown in the conference’s high schools.

=^_^=

Bruce had continued to be a good student and was now standing on his own in class and with his reports and exams. Come Spring Break, he was on the mid-semester honor roll.

He had even worked up the nerve to ask Tally for a date and he would be going out with her the week after the play was over.

He had been caught by classmates twice with makeup still on when he went to school the next day. His excuse was it was in preparation for the play; which was partially true. The other half was he liked being a girlfriend whether with Tally or Russ Jenkins. It was the prior weekend and Deanne had taken Samantha to the mall for a pair of springtime shoes. They were supposed to make a day of it together, but Russ was taking Sam to a 4:30 matinee. Samantha wasn’t sure she could kiss another boy. She did like the idea of kissing Russ.

Deanne told Samantha, “Liking a boy’s kiss is not the end of the world. Whether you’re gay or a girl who likes boys; it will take time for you to learn that.”

Samantha was surprised that Deanne was upfront with her statement. “I’m not gay, I can’t be.”

“Relax Bruce, I didn’t mean to imply that you are. You’re becoming sensitive to things about yourself even if you didn’t know. If you go reading about possibilities just do it after the play. I don’t want you to be concerned about anything but schoolwork and the play.” She ended, “Remember that you can talk to me about you and Russ. It’s kind of like the play without the drama.”

Thursday was upon them; the day for the dress rehearsal for their parents and specially invited friends of the Drama Club and representatives from selected high schools. Bruce wasn’t in costume but dressed as Samantha and was taken to the school’s administration building by his Dad. “Good luck, Samantha we will be eager to see you in the play.”

Samantha was dressed in a red plaid kilt-like dress with a large pin holding the left side together, a white satin blouse, and a red/green tartan plaid sash coming down from her left shoulder to her right hip. She wore knee-high green socks. The green matched the green in the plaid. She had shiny Black patent leather shoes.

Samantha wanted to kiss her Dad on the cheek, but she resisted. Dr. Gwen Martin, the Superintendent, welcomed Samantha, “You present well today. Thank you for playing such a pivotal part in this play. I’m sorry, but I have a test to give you from Mr. Murphy; I will do it right before lunchtime. We encouraged teachers not to give tests today, but we can’t interfere with their right to do so.”

Samantha smiled, “I’m not surprised, but I am ready for the test. Would it be okay if I took the test at 10:30? I like to get it out of the way. So I can concentrate on the play and my regular school work?” Ms. Hammons the secretary said she couldn’t help but check in on Samantha several times. She brought Sam a Pepsi, which students usually can’t have during the school day. She also ordered the Salisbury steak offered to the staff. “We need to offer you some kind of treat for being closed away from the other students.”

Samantha was accompanied by Dr. Gwen Martin, who came at 2:00 in the afternoon.

=^_^=


The play was through the first two Acts and the third Act had been decided upon: Samantha as Molly was now a sad girl, with her reputation in question and her supposed boyfriend having skipped the area. While Molly had insisted she was the victim. She admitted she hadn’t heeded the warnings of her older sister Kayla (played by Deanne). Her only excuse was that she wanted to be seen as a grown-up girl capable of making her own decisions. Megan who plays her Mom was supportive but upset with Molly. They are now awaiting tests indicating if Molly indeed soiled herself and her would-be boyfriend was seen fleeing as the police came.

“What I did was bad enough, but Mama I didn’t want Rupert; he forced himself on me,” she said. Tests had been taken and they were awaiting the results. She couldn’t tell her mother that she and her friend had explored their bodies together. Somehow Rupert knowing her guilt, sought to exploit her for his own satisfaction. “Mother, I called Tetra, but I wasn’t sure, she heard me because Rupert knocked my phone away. I yelled Mama and I fought. He didn’t get to me. You have to believe me!”

Kayla kind of believed but it didn’t look good, her Mom was upset though she only wanted Molly safe. The nurse and the physician’s assistant were returning. Officer Tiffany, to Molly’s aide, said, “Tetra called us, having heard Molly’s cry.”

The nurse took Molly’s hand to comfort her as the physician assistant waited for the attention of those in the waiting room. “I’m Delia, the Physician’s Assistant in charge of Molly’s case. Molly, do I have permission to speak or do you want me to speak to only you?”

“I can’t be embarrassed more; you might as well speak so we learn together your results,” Molly said. Dejected she reached to Kayla with her free hand.

Delia said, “We can safely say she has attacked bruises on her wrists and body indicate she struggled, she even has bruises inside her thighs caused by the force of the same person. But her internal injuries were before that. More likely from a girl exploring herself and having gone too far. I suspect she felt too guilty to tell you of that. Her injuries should heal, but we would like to keep her overnight and maybe another day. She has been through something quite traumatic.”

Kayla spoke up and gave her sister a hug. “Sorry, I wasn’t there, but you’ve been pushing me away. I hope you can forgive me!”

Molly pulls back from Kayla, “You’re only guilty of being too pretty and hard to follow. Tetra and I thought many girls wanted to know what it feels like to be a young woman. Rupert was a horny boy who wouldn’t accept NO!” She paused and looked around, “I may have been a bit naïve and foolish, but I wasn’t guilty of what you thought. Others will probably judge me for what they assume, but don’t know.”

‘Time to Bloom’ went on to unravel the other stories of youth and the situations that come with maturing as young people. The play Director Ms. Hughes had planned to use another alternate ending the next night and use this one again on Saturday. The tumultuous standing ovation for a drama far exceeded any expectations. She quickly decided to keep that possible change to herself. Representatives from area conference schools were greatly impressed and supported the idea of recording the play production to share among the schools.

They did have a short cast meeting following dress rehearsal. Emotionally wrung out from her performance and like most actors she disliked hearing the points she needed to do better. Deanne again, sought out Samantha to lend support and encouragement. Samantha, “What would I do if I didn’t have you Deanne?”

=^_^=


Bruce stayed as Samantha the next two days, though not in character as Molly. Samantha going to school brought out some of their friends to shield her. Roxanne said, “Others have speculated who’s portraying the unknown Molly; I think this will add to the speculation.”

Samantha said, “I’ve been isolated in the Administration Building, and I was told after the dressed rehearsal word would pretty much be out. Deanne said, “That you came up with using a phone that was unexpected.”

Samantha said, “I was just using my head like you suggested. I told my friend to keep her phone near. The alternative of more injury from Rupert wasn’t a real option. I wasn’t sure it would work, but I was glad it did.”

Deanne joined them, “Your words made me feel guilty like I had pushed you away. Is that what you intended?”

“It wasn’t personal, but about our characters, yes,” Samantha said, “It would be hard following a sister like Kayla.”

Deanne turned to Roxanne, “Do you ever feel like that?”

Roxy became defensive, “Not usually, but sometimes it feels tough following you. I’m glad there’s a two-grade gap between us.”

Deanne turned to Samantha, “Am I too hard on you; you’ve been like a little sister?”

Sami smiles, “I’ve been learning to be a girl from you; it’s not the same. I have Dan and Randy: Randy could have been hard if we were closer in age. All I have in common with Dan is arguing. Once in a while, he’s a good brother, now that’s a bit surprising.”

“I knew our Mom often got frustrated with us and wished she had a girl. That was hard on me; I would try to think how a girl might be different.” Samantha paused, and Deanne and Roxy sensed she wanted to say something. “I couldn’t tell my mother that I felt like a girl inside. I guess I always had. The fact I look more like her and I’m overly sensitive; she’d think I was just acting.”

“Wow, Samantha,” Deanne asked, “How long have you felt like that?”

“I was in kindergarten and then first grade. They pushed me away from playing with certain things and told me what boys played with.” Samantha said, “I had played with those things enough. Even the dumb pink crayon seemed taboo. I don’t mind being a boy; I just liked being Samantha better.”

Ms. Hughes overheard what we were saying. “Sorry, to overhear you, I wanted to talk to you and Deanne. You said, you like being Samantha, like it was long ago.”

Sam asked, “Can we keep this confidential until after that play? But, yes, like I told them in kindergarten and first grade. After that, I tried not to make too many friends of girls. I felt awkward around them because I liked them.”

Deanne asked, “What did you want to say to us, Miss. Hughes?”

Ms. Hughes said, “You two are pretty close; I didn’t want you thinking about changing anything from last night. Some things were surprising but in a good way. I believe the Play exceeds what the play writers were intending. Don’t get swelled heads, or you’ll blow it. Well done!”

=^_^=


The regional newspaper had a reporter at the dress rehearsal and her newspaper review of “A Time to Bloom”. She wrote, “This high school drama is well done and will be a pleasant surprise for those mature enough to handle it. It is a coming of age play and takes on more issues our youth are often expected to handle.” She alluded to a wider audience than expected to be in attendance.

The newspaper report was the topic of the lunch room. There was speculation that the auditorium which was usually half-full for non-musicals was close to being sold out.

Tally said, “That’s three times more than were here last night.”

Everything was making Samantha more nervous than she already was. Deanne encouraged her saying she’d do great. Like the others in the play, focus replaced nerves as each part came up. Molly didn’t have it easy portraying the pressure of judgment and speculation that arose after she dialed her call; Rupert had shown up and began voicing his anger and intentions. Shy Samantha played her part screaming and fighting back. She warned her attacker; “Why are you doing this to me?” Rupert said, “Quit fighting me, or I’ll hurt you more. Enjoy it, you’ll like having me!”

Because of Molly’s screaming, Rupert didn’t hear the officers enter until it was too late. The anguish of Molly and her actions, shame, and waiting for the redemption of her situation were again powerfully portrayed. Deanne felt guilty that her sister called a friend instead of her was understood by the audience, as well as Molly’s vindication.

The two things different tonight were news reporters wanting to interview Samantha, and that the students now knew Samantha a transgender girl was playing Molly. The whole cast got hoots, whistles, and a standing ovation. When Samantha was being pushed into an interview with news reporters she called out for Deanne and her Mother.

They were soon there, but the questions and focus were on Samantha. “What do you credit your powerful performance young lady?” The questioner looked like a news personality from a New York TV station.

“I just followed the script and tried to do it justice. It’s a powerful play,” answered Samantha. She felt squeezes to her hands from her Mother and Deanne. She turned to them and smiled.

Jennifer, the new personality, asked, “Is it true you’re a transgender girl who usually attends school here as Bruce?” There was a hush over the room as the question was asked. “Is the student next to you, your best friend Deanne? How did she help you in this role?”

Samantha took in a deep breath; “Yes, as Samantha I’m transgender I guess. And yes, Deanne is my best friend and big sister in the play. You can imagine, I would have been a much weaker character without her help!

Samantha asked, “Can we take a question from someone else?”

Melanie, the news reporter they saw yesterday, asked the next question, “Today’s audience filled the auditorium, which is very unusual for dramas, and it was also recorded. How is it you didn’t seem to be nervous?”

“It was with the encouragement of Deanne, family, and cast. But I was more nervous than you could see; I guess that’s called acting.” She turned and hugged Deanne and then some of the tears showed. “I’m sorry but this is too much for me!” She wanted to leave.

Deanne said, “She did a powerful performance, but she portrayed how many girls feel trying to measure up against others.” Samantha added, “We’re ordinary girls feeling the pressure of being compared and there’s no script for everyday life.” There was some applause in the interview room.

Ms. Hughes off to the side, said one final question and that will be it for Samantha. Someone said, “Permission for the recording of the play was made two weeks ago for each of you. Did you know then how important that would be?”

Samantha paused, looked at her Mom, and said, “They understood better than me about how powerful this play could be. I honestly, hope you realize; there were more scenarios that ran the course of this play.”

Ms. Hughes stepped between the three and the reporters. No sooner were the three out of sight and Samantha turned to her mother and hugged her as she broke into tears. She was in the middle of a three-person hug and tears. “How can a boy be in the midst of all this drama?” she asked.

Others were still celebrating a little as Samantha and Deanne went back to get out of makeup and costume.

To be continued…

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good

story, please continue.

Hugs, Kathleen