TG-Crazed Scientist Part 07

Printer-friendly version

After the encounter at the mall, Genesis, Jesse, and Ramona were extremely paranoid. As they drove, they kept an eye out for any cars or vans that might be following them. They didn't see any, but they were still on edge. If Lucas knew they were heading for Atlanta, then he was probably heading there, too.

It took another two days to reach Atlanta. In the late afternoon of February 1, 2024, Ramona got off the highway and entered Atlanta. "Here we are," she said. "Atlanta."

"Rachel Miller lives in an orphanage, right?" Genesis asked.

"Yes," Jesse answered. "The Orphanage For All Ages."

"All ages?" Ramona asked. "Does that mean they have adults living there, too?"

"No," said Jesse. "It's just called that so people our age feel better about living there."

"But surely they have an age limit," said Ramona. "Won't they?"

"Well, Rachel and Lanie-and their other friend Jenny-got admitted to the orphanage when they were fifteen," said Genesis.

"Jenny was younger than them," said Jesse. "I think."

"Oh yeah," said Genesis. "But if it's only been, like, a year, then Rachel will be about sixteen or seventeen by now. If the Orphanage For All Ages only accepts people under 18, then Rachel will probably still be there. Same with Lanie." She got out her phone and entered the Orphanage For All Ages into Google Maps. Once she'd started the navigator, she put it on the dashboard for Ramona.

Twenty minutes later, Ramona parked in front of the Orphanage For All Ages. "Here we are," she said.

Genesis and Jesse got out and looked up at the Orphanage For All Ages. It was three stories high, and looked like a pretty nice place. Genesis could see why Lanie and Rachel had decided to stay here after their witch-fighting adventures. "I can't believe it," said Jesse. "The place where my best friend moved to, and I'm actually here."

"You ready to see Rachel again?" Genesis asked.

"I don't know," Jesse admitted.

"You'll be okay," Ramona assured him. "We'll all go in together."

And that was what they did. Genesis, Jesse, and Ramona entered the building and found a lady at the front desk. "Hello," the lady said. "How can I help you?"

Since Jesse was too anxious to say anything, Genesis spoke. "We're here to see someone," she said. "Is Rachel Miller here?"

The front desk lady smiled. "Why, yes she is," she said. "She and Lanie do get a lot of fans coming in to meet them."

"Where is she?"

"She's upstairs in her quarters, I believe," the lady said. "I'll go up and get her for you."

"Please do."

"I'll have you wait in the rec room."

So Genesis, Jesse, and Ramona all sat in the orphanage's rec room. As they sat on the couch, they watched as a guy played a video game on the TV. "Hey," the guy said. "Did I hear you're here to see Rachel Miller?"

"We are," said Genesis.

The guy grinned. "She loves meeting her fans," she said.

"What's your name?" Jesse asked.

"Aaron," the guy answered.

"Nice to meet you," said Jesse.

"Where are you from?" Aaron asked.

"Me and my sister are from Virginia," said Ramona.

"What-you're sisters?" Aaron looked between Genesis and Ramona with disbelief, since they didn't bear any resemblance. Ramona had blonde hair and a deeper tan, while Genesis was more pale-skinned with lower cheekbones and dark hair.

"Stepsisters," Ramona backpedaled.

"Ah," said Aaron. Turning to Jesse, he asked "What about you?"

Before Jesse could answer, the lady from the front desk came into the room. "Here's Rachel," she said.

The lady stood aside to let Rachel enter the room. Genesis had seen pictures of Rachel on the news, but being in the same room as her felt surreal. Rachel looked just like her pictures, with long black hair, warm brown eyes, and smooth facial features. She wore a light blue tank top and dark green short shorts. She was a little shorter than Genesis always pictured her, though. Then again, she'd heard that was often the case with celebrities.

"Well hello," said Rachel. "It's always nice to..." She trailed off when she saw Jesse, and her smile faded. "What the..."

Jesse just stared at Rachel. Ever since they'd left Virginia, he'd been contemplating how he might reconnect with her, but now that he was faced with her, he'd forgotten how to speak.

"Jesse? Is that you?"

That snapped Jesse out of it. "Yes," he said. "Hi Rachel."

"But what are you doing here?"

"I just...I wanted to tell you I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. For everything."

Rachel stared at Jesse in disbelief. "It's been, like, five years now," she said. "And you're only now coming crawling back to me?"

"Rachel, I didn't mean to hurt you like I did," said Jesse. "I really didn't. But I've been living with the guilt for years now. After you became famous, I felt even worse. I haven't made any real friends since you and I fell out, and I've been pretty lonely. And then when these two wanted to come down to meet you..."

"These two?" Rachel repeated. She looked between Genesis and Ramona and said "You came all the way down here with these two?"

"Yes."

"I'm a TG girl too," said Genesis. "Like you."

Rachel's annoyance evaporated on the spot. "You are?" she said.

Genesis nodded.

"Finally, I get to meet another girl like me!" Rachel whooped. "And in person, too!"

"Have you really not met any other TG girls?" Ramona asked. "Besides Zoe and Olivia and Saige?"

"Not in person, no," said Rachel. "After we all became famous, more TG girls started to come forward with their stories about how they'd been boys who were cursed by witches."

"Oh yeah," Jesse murmured. "I remember reading about that."

"Me and Lanie and Olivia were talking about setting up some kind of online support group for TG girls who couldn't get changed back for whatever reason," Rachel went on. "We haven't gotten very far with it, but we're hoping we can talk to the right people who can make it a reality."

"I could've used something like that," said Genesis.

"Why? What happened to you?"

"Well, I got turned into a girl as punishment for sexually harassing my girlfriend," Genesis explained. "She told her boss, who was a witch, what happened, and then her boss cursed me. And her boss was murdered before she could change me back."

"That's horrible," said Rachel.

"It was," said Genesis. "And now her nephew's chasing after me trying to get my blood."

"What?"

My ex-girlfriend's boss' nephew-his name's Lucas-he wants to use my blood to make a serum that can turn men into women," Genesis explained. "I told him I couldn't give him my blood because I have a rare form of anemia, but he wouldn't listen. He's been stalking me and trying to get my blood."

"Why does he want your blood so badly?" Rachel asked. "Why didn't he just come to me, or Lanie, or Saige, or Olivia?"

"He said something about not wanting to rely on other celebrities to become famous," Genesis answered. "I guess he wants to use blood from a TG girl who's unknown, so it looks like he developed the serum entirely on his own."

"That's...kind of stupid," said Rachel. "He could've just messaged Lanie or Olivia and asked them to keep their involvement secret."

"I know," said Jesse. "It's a wonder Lucas was able to become a certified scientist."

"But that's the real reason we came here," said Genesis. "I wanted to ask if I could get a sample of your blood to pass off as my own. That way Lucas will stop coming after me, and he'll be able to develop the serum that he wants so badly."

"And because I wanted us to be friends again," Jesse added. But when Rachel gave him a dirty look, he immediately regretted it.

"So it's my blood you need," said Rachel.

"Yes."

Rachel thought for a minute, then nodded. "I can give some to you. I'll see if the doctor's office is still open so they can draw my blood."

"Thank you, Rachel. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome..." Rachel started.

"Oh! I didn't introduce myself!" Genesis realized. "My name's Genesis. And this is my stepsister Ramona."

"I'm not a TG girl," said Ramona. "I was born female."

"It's nice to meet you," said Rachel.

"You too," said Genesis. "Is Lanie here, too?"

"No," said Rachel. "She's on a date with Conner Hawkins. But I'll text her and tell her that I had some...visitors."

When Jesse heard the somewhat contemptuous tone with Rachel's last word, he got defensive. "Rachel, I'm really sorry!" he repeated. "I didn't mean for it to be this awkward!"

Rachel sighed. "I'm sorry, Jesse. I guess I'm being rude."

"I didn't want to throw our history away," Jesse went on. "When we were younger, we were so close. You saw how sad I was when I thought you'd died. Looking back, I realize how hard it must've been to transition to being a girl, and having a friend from your old life might've been the best thing you could've had. But when you tried to tell me, I just...I just..."

"I understand," said Rachel. "I felt guilty, too, for not trying to tell you sooner."

"Really?"

"Really. For a while, I wished I could've done things differently. But it's been so long now that, really, it doesn't matter anymore. I've built up an even better life here in Georgia, with Lanie and Conner and Diana and all my other friends."

"And me," Aaron added.

"Yes, and you," Rachel affirmed. "And I have a boyfriend now."

"Oh, that's right," said Genesis. "Miles Reddick. Zack Fletcher's best friend."

Rachel nodded. "I feel so much happier now," she said. "Randy Miller could never have dreamed of the life I have now."

Jesse's face fell. "So...you're saying that...you don't want to be friends again?"

"Well...it sounds kind of harsh when you say it like that," said Rachel. "But what my shift to being female taught me is that sometimes, shit changes, and you have to just move on."

By this point, Jesse couldn't even look Rachel straight in the eye. "I-I understand," he forced out. He stood up and took one last look at the girl who used to be a boy who used to be his best friend. "Farewell, Randy." And with that, he left the room.

Genesis glared at Rachel. "Really?" she asked. "He came all this way to see you again, and you shot him down?"

Rachel frowned. "I didn't mean to be so harsh," she said. "I was just so taken aback. I didn't think I'd see him again...well, ever, really. I'd already moved on a long time ago. But then he comes back saying he really misses me..."

"I'd better go talk to him," said Genesis. She got up and went after Jesse.

Now Ramona was left in the room with Rachel and Aaron. "Rachel, I understand," she said. "I know you..."

"Don't worry," said Rachel. "I...I've got to go...call the doctor's office."

Rachel left the room before she could start crying.

To be continued...

up
33 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos