Damsel in Wartime - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Wulfric emptied his mind focusing only on the horse's trotting and the sound its hooves made when they hit the dirt. The rhythmic sounds provided much needed solace and distraction from thoughts about the sour end to his time with Thurstan.

His friend had been there as he departed, he had seen him in all his glory. The veil he wore could have only done so much to hide the fact that he was the girl on the horse, and that he was going far away with no notion of when he might return.

Instead, he turned his attention to the world around him. Some time had passed since the pair of riders departed camp and the rising sun's rays could be seen just over the horizon. The light that shone over the wet, dewy grass that enveloped both sides of the dirt path left a breathtaking view.

Wulfric turned briefly to look up at his silent riding party for any sign of a shared appreciation for the countryside's beauty but averted his gaze when their eyes met.

He thought to speak to the man but decided against it, opting to ride in silence instead. He knew the man served as his guard on the journey but also his warden.

Gawen's skills as the boy's guard would be tested a mere 7 leagues into their journey when they were set on by bandits. It was less than a quarter of the way to their destination. It wasn't unusual for banditry to become more prevalent in times of war but for them to operate so close to His Majesty's 5th Battalion was a cause for concern.

Gawen slowly brought the horse to a stop in the face of three snickering characters who seemed overjoyed at their luck. Wulfric looked to Gawen but found that his face betrayed no emotions. Gawen's eyes scanned the vicinity taking in as much information as he could in a split second.

'Just the three?' He wondered to himself.

Turning back to face the bandits, he chose to take charge of the situation by speaking first.

"We have no quarrel with you. Leave now" He spoke calmly.

"Now listen here-" One of the men replied quickly. A particularly nasty looking fella, Wulfric squirmed when he caught a glimpse of the man's repulsive teeth. "Leave yer belongings aside, give us the young'un, and you just might live".

Gawen's fingers subtly traced his longsword which he had sheathed, wrapped with cloth and stored away along the left flank of the horse. He wouldn't need it here.

"Can you ride a horse?" He asked the scared boy.

"N-no"

"Good" He stepped off the back of the horse then advanced towards the three armed men. They in turn readied themselves by clutching their rusty swords in both their hands.

Gawen took one step after another seemingly unarmed, a fact that worried Wulfric who had his hands full keeping steady on the jittering horse.

"It's okay" Wulfric rubbed his hands gently along the horse's crest.

Gawen stopped just outside of striking range, his eyes daring the three to attack. One of them took the bait stepping forward and into a wild overhead slash. Gawen in an almost impossibly quick motion lunged forward catching the attacker's wrist in his left hand, his right hand uprooted a dagger from beneath his cloak and buried the short blade in the man's neck.

Wulfric gasped from his vantage point. If he'd blinked, he would have missed it.

A second attacker shook off his own shock and advanced on Gawen's position with the same overhead strike having learned nothing. Gawen easily sidestepped the blade's path causing it to impact the dirt beside him. He offered the bandit no opportunity for recovery, catching him square in the side of his head with the butt of his blade.

The second attacker fell almost as quickly as the first, hitting the floor in a nasty thud.

Wulfric could see the fear and horror on the third man's face. Gawen took a step forward and the man took a step backward, then two more. His blade fell from his hand as that fear overcame him causing him to turn tail and run.

Gawen intended to give chase but thought it more important to protect the defenseless child on the horse. Instead, he made his way for the unconscious bandit that had attacked him and lost. Slowly he brought the dagger's blade to the man's throat.

"What are you doing?" Wulfric asked concerned.

"You'd better look away, my lady" Gawen replied nonchalantly.

"He's unconcious" Wulfric stated.

Without sharing any more words, Gawen pushed the blade past the skin and into the base of the skull. He used the dead man's tunic to clean the blood off the dagger before turning and replying, "These men are vermin and don't deserve to live".

Wulfric thought to argue and began to as Gawen made his way back to the horse but was distracted by a glint of steel out of the corner of his right eye.

"Watch out" he screamed.

Gawen dodged instinctively, an arrow whizzed past where his head had been just a moment ago. The arrow continued on its path, passing through the horse's line of sight causing the beast to rear backwards.

Gawen reacted quickly, catching Wulfric just before he hit the floor.

"Calm!" He commanded the panicking horse. He helped Wulfric back to his feet then angrily reached towards the horse's left flank retrieving his long sword from its confines.

With large steps, he closed the gap between himself and the spotted archer who was struggling to nock a new arrow.

The archer did manage to nock an arrow in time and sent it Gawen's way but the experienced soldier expertly deflected the blade with his sword before burying the long blade in the man's shoulder.

Wulfric covered his mouth in shock of what he'd just witnessed. As Gawen climbed the horse and restarted their journey, Wulfric watched the three men whose bodies lay lifeless in the dirt and grass.

As Gawen brought the horse to a steady trot, he muttered under his breath, "I hate archers".

=^..^=

Wulfric and Gawen rode together several miles before sighting a small pond. Gawen quickly brought the horse to a halt before announcing that they could both use a small break.

He dropped off the back of the horse before stepping to the side near Wulfric's feet. After securing the horse to a nearby tree, he outstretched his hands to help the petite boy off the animal but his offer was declined.

Wulfric had noticed dried bloodstains near Gawen's wrist and although he was grateful for the protection, he didn't want those hands anywhere near his. Gawen had been perceptive enough to not only understand and withdraw but also make his way towards the body of water.

Wulfric carefully dropped off the horse, his legs sore from lack of use. He spotted Gawen bent at the edge of the water washing the remnants of blood from his skin. It was natural that Wulfric felt ashamed afterwards. He owed his life to the man that he'd just shunned.

Desperate to mend the relationship, he made his way toward his traveling companion. The wind that was carried over the water surface was cool and refreshing.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" He asked.

"Why? Would you like to learn?" Gawen replied without turning away from the task at hand.

Wulfric nodded at first then spoke when he realised the man couldn't see him, "Yes"

"You should hope you will have no need for swords where you are going, my lady" Gawen replied.

"Why do you call me 'my lady' when you know I'm not a woman?" Wulfric asked.

Gawen chuckled but didn't respond until his hands were sufficiently clean. Then he splashed some water on his face for good measure. Wulfric had no choice but to wait patiently for an answer.

"If you are to convince anyone that you are who you say you are, you must believe it yourself. That is the way of espionage" Gawen said he walked past Wulfric and in the direction of his horse.

"Do you speak from experience?"

"Yes" Gawen replied only after a brief pause. "I was spymaster to King Aldwin for many years"

Wulfric turned and followed him towards the horse, "Then do you have more advice for me?"

"Learn to lie, and learn how to discern lies" Gawen informed him.

"I know how to do that" Wulfric said as he reached the horse.

Gawen who was busy riffling through his saddle bag chuckled to himself briefly but said nothing.

"What?" Wulfric asked. When he didn't receive an answer, he repeated his question.

At that point, Gawen had found what he'd been searching for, a wrapped piece of bread and roasted strips of meat. He turned and handed the food to the boy, "I was never spymaster. I never even met King Aldwin. Go on, eat. We have yet a long journey".

Wulfric remained in silence as Gawen led the thirsty horse to the pond.

=^..^=

It had been a long boring journey, but by evening, Wulfric had been noticing a lot more homes as well as people for the last several miles. A while ago, Gawen had instructed him to keep his face covered with the veil which he'd obeyed. He'd grown to respect the man in the limited time they'd spent together.

It took only a few more minutes for them to turn the bend and come face to face with their destination.

Moat Lynden, a wedding gift from King Sigurd to his cousin, Lord Eadric and his wife, Princess Aurelia. The castle was surrounded by water in all but one direction.

Wulfric pitied her. Forced to wed a man she had no feelings for and forced to live in this stone monstrosity, cut off on all sides.

'She must be overjoyed' he thought to himself, 'Finally she'd be reunited with her brother'.

As they advanced on the castle on horseback, Wulfric was forced to confront something that had bothered him since the plan was first revealed to him.

What was Lady Aurelia's position in all this? Surely, she'd know that he wasn't one of her ladies. What's to stop her from revealing that fact to her brother?

Wulfric was forced to leave his thoughts and pay attention when they arrived at the castle and the guards demanded to know their business. Wulfric did as instructed and kept his face hidden.

"Our arrival is expected" Gawen spoke simply.

"And who might you be?" One of the two guards that blocked entry peered closer trying to get a glimpse at the lady's face.

"Gawen the Black" Gawen answered after expertly veering the horse to the right so Wulfric was away from view, "Inform of our arrival".

The guard studied the girl's form some more before signaling the other guard to do the informing.

Moments later, Gawen and Wulfric would be granted entry into the gloomy castle.

=^..^=

Navigating the corridors of Moat Lynden required a lantern even while the sun had yet to set outside. The rigid castle was originally built as a stronghold with the primary focus of withstanding repeated attacks from an invading force.

Comfort hadn't been high on the priority list. It seemed odd to Wulfric that anyone would be expected to live there, let alone a princess.

"This way" the servant that led them through the winding passages had said after a brief bow.

Wulfric looked to Gawen but he only remained focused on the path ahead.

They were led to a small room offering benches to rest their tired legs and sparse tapestries for decoration. A good selection of books and parchments atop a nearby table would have provided much needed entertainment but Wulfric thought it better to keep the fact that he could read a secret.

It had been a useless skill Wulfric's father had forced on all his boys but might just prove useful yet.

The room was functional rather than opulent like much of the castle but Wulfric was in no position to complain given his usual accommodations.

"Wait here please" the servant instructed and so Wulfric and Gawen settled in patiently, grateful for the opportunity to rest.

After finding a comfortable position on the bench, Wulfric allowed his mind to wander back to his friend that he'd left behind. He couldn't help but wonder what Thurstan thought about him.

Here he was, farther away from home than he could have ever imagined, appearing to everyone as a young fair-haired girl and so he would remain for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps he should have been embarrassed that he'd already gotten used to the dress. Several times that day, he'd already forgotten he'd been wearing one and it felt just as natural as a tunic and breeches. Perhaps he should have been embarrassed that he'd accepted this role too easily.

Wulfric shook his head in response. Discomfort over his inherent femininity would only make his mission harder than it needed to be.

"What is it?" he heard Gawen ask.

"Do you think I can do this?" Wulfric asked him.

The man nodded, "If you're careful" Gawen told him.

To his surprise, the usually quiet man kept talking, "Don't take any risks. Don't try to go places you're not allowed or eavesdrop without proper allowances"

"Don't talk too much. You're there to get information, not give it"

"Blend in. Watch the other girls around you and act in the same manner that they do"

"Pay attention. The tiniest details could reveal a larger plot."

"And most importantly" Gawen stared deep in his eyes from across the room, "Trust no one. Your mission has already begun"

Wulfric had grown uncomfortable with the tension and joked, "Someone could be listening right now"

"Yes, exactly" Gawen was pleased as he sat back on his bench "Just like that".

The servant girl returned with the news that Princess Aurelia would only meet Wulfric after her dinner before offering to show him to his room.

He had begun his walk to the door when Gawen called out to him to return. Gawen peered over the boy's shoulder to confirm their privacy before handing him the sealed letter. Wulfric who knew the dire consequences of the revelation of that letter frantically turned to see if the servant girl had noticed the exchange. Thankfully, she seemed to be paying them no mind.

"It's okay" Gawen whispered to him, "Keep this beneath your cloak and out of sight. I don't know if I will see you before we leave so just remember everything I told you".

Wulfric wasn't ready to say goodbye. He simply wasn't ready to be on his own. He was abruptly losing the comfort that came with having a skilled protector like Gawen.

"When it comes time to give a report, I'll find my way to you" Gawen assured him in the same hushed whisper. "Do you understand?"

Wulfric nodded his response.

Gawen stepped away, an action that more than signified that our hero was now on his own, "Go on then".

=^..^=

"This is your room, my lady" the girl informed him as she pushed open a door to reveal a reasonably sized room.

The rooms of Moat Lynden we originally barracks that housed numerous soldiers in each one. At the height of its use, several hundred men lived within its walls. At the time, the castle would have been said to be extremely cramped but now that it housed only a childless family and their servants, that was no longer the case.

Like the rest of the castle, Wulfric's room was sparse, containing nothing but the essentials. In this case, two straw beds atop a wooden base as well as a desk.

"Your clothes arrived for you, my lady. You will find them in the chest in the corner" the servant girl told him.

"Thank you" Wulfric shyly replied. He thought to ask the girl's name, she looked to be around his age and they might have grown to be good friends, but she seemed disinterested at the notion of speaking any more than needed so he quietly walked into the room.

"Your food will be brought to you tonight, but her highness' retinue will usually eat together in the Ladies' chamber"

The young servant girl had waited for a response before speaking again, "Is there anything I can help with my lady?"

Unsure of himself, Wulfric simply shook his head.

The girl bowed once more and disappeared down the hallway. Left to his own devices, he made his way into the room and closed the door behind him.

=^..^=

In the chest, he found dresses of wool and linen alike, more petticoats, chemises and underskirts than he thought possible to be owned by one person. There were also more cloaks for warmth and protection to add to his growing collection and also slippers made of leather and fine fabrics.

But in all the finery, he was mesmerised by two dresses, one silk and one velvet meant to be worn during court appearances. In all his years, he hadn't seen anything so fine. His mother's treasured blue dress was rags by comparison.

He brought the silk dress to his face allowing himself to get enveloped by the smooth fabric.

"This must have cost so much" he said to himself. If he could get passed the fact that they were dresses and he was meant to be a lady, he might have enjoyed being treated to such fine things that were reserved for royalty.

Still, this was no time to get distracted. He planted the letter meant for the king deep in the chest and replaced the clothes over it.

Dinner turned out to be simple and uneventful. The cooked barley and vegetable stew dish the same servant girl had brought him was very enjoyable and welcome after the long day's ride. His chance to unwind was suddenly cut short when the servant girl returned with orders from the Princess.

She was ready for him.

Wulfric struggled to calm himself as he was led up the castle stairs. Here was his first test. He was still at a loss of Princess Aurelia's role in everything. That lack of knowledge plagued him. The chance that he would say the wrong thing and put an abrupt end to the mission before it even had a chance to begin haunted him.

If he made a mistake here, what would happen to him? What would happen to Thur, his perfect friend who remained in the dark about what was really going on.

He looked to the servant girl but unlike Gawen, she offered no words of encouragement.

"Your highness, I have-" The servant girl quickly began as they reached the large, elaborate doors but she was promptly cut short.

"Enter" The woman's voice was majestic even through the wooden barriers but also ethereal, almost like it didn't belong to this world. There was something sinister about it.

The young girl opened the door and gestured Wulfric through before closing it behind him. He felt like a rat caught in a trap, a wounded animal surrounded by hyenas.

"Come" the voice called from farther inside the massive room. It was the only place in the entire castle that wasn't devoid of personality. A juxtaposition to the rest of the dreary castle, the bedchamber the Princess and her Lord Eadric shared spared nothing on decorations.

Princess Aurelia sat at a desk wearing a rather revealing nightwear, her eyes focused on a polished silver dish. As Wulfric approached, he could just make out the beautiful woman's reflection in the dish.

"Stop" The princess called out halting his advance. She hadn't even bothered to look away from her reflection. In fact, it took her nearly an entire minute to finally glance in his direction and comment, "Aren't you a bit too young to be an agent?"

Wulfric was caught off guard. He hadn't expected her to be privy to that information. As confused as he'd been about her position a moment ago, he was now even more so.

"Uh I-"

"Underdeveloped as well. How old are you?" The princess asked. It had quickly become obvious to him that she had a penchant for interrupting people.

"Nineteen, your highness" he answered just loud enough for her to hear.

"Very underdeveloped" Princess Aurelia repeated, "Pretty atleast, good features"

Wulfric stood unmoving as the Princess' eyes made several passes over him.

"Come here" she said.

Worried but lacking any real choice in the situation, he advanced slowly until he was close enough to identify the individual moles on her skin.

"Take this" she said as she handed him a wooden brush "Prove yourself useful" she said following a quick gesture at her long locks.

His hands shook as he obeyed and brought the brush's bristles to the Princess' hair. As best as he could, he quietly made several strokes at different sections of her hair.

Just as he thought he was starting to get a hang of it, the brush was yanked from his fingers and tossed across the desk.

"Pitiful" an irritated Princess Aurelia commented. He hadn't even known what he had done wrong.

Hoping to avoid a reprimand, he took a step back and bowed, "Forgive me".

When he raised his head, her expression had softened. The princess turned to her silver dish, the sight of her unblemished face brought a smile to her face once again.

"I have my ladies, I will not require your assistance" Princess Aurelia informed Wulfric. "You will accompany me in court and in public but nowhere else"

"Yes, your highness"

"Do what you came here to do and leave" she added without turning away from her reflection "You may go"

Wulfric bowed one last time before making his exit. He couldn't help but wonder where the lord of the castle was.

=^..^=

As much as he wished it, the evening's shocks hadn't been exhausted yet. Upon returning to his room, there was a naked girl that hadn't been there when he'd left. As quickly as he could, he averted his gaze from her body.

"You must be the new girl" he heard a soft, breathy voice say. "You can call me Aoife"

"Elara" Wulfric replied still looking away.

"Is there something wrong?" Aoife asked.

He shook his head all the while praying for an end to his suffering.

"There's no need to be embarrassed, Elara" the girl had said but still, she seemed to understand and covered herself by wearing her night gown, "We will be sharing a room afterall"

Wulfric breathed a sigh of relief grateful to finally be able to look her in the eye. He couldn't help but notice that she had a very beautiful body unlike him. His perceived femininity that had plagued him all his life seemed to immediately wash away standing next to her.

Wulfric sheepishly made his way to the bed he assumed was his and sat down, desperately trying to avoid the girl's gaze.

"You're very shy, aren't you?" She spoke rhetorically.

Wulfric had no response. He was trapped, forced to live this life that wasn't his and with no way out.

"Aren't you going to get changed?" Aoife asked.

"I- I will"

He scurried over to the chest and fished out a chemise and nightwear pair he'd spotted earlier. He clutched the clothes in his hands but that was as far as he could go with the girl watching.

Aoife deduced that Elara simply wasn't going to change infront of her and kindly offered an alternate solution, "Do you want me to close my eyes?"

He watched her eyes and general demeanor and decided that her generosity was genuine. He considered his options or lack thereof and gave his answer by way of a shy nod.

Aoife smiled and closed her eyes. When Wulfric was satisfied that there was no foul play involved, he turned around for good measure.

Reluctantly, he first removed the shoes with the fancy buckle and the dress followed soon after. As quickly as he could manage, he wore the chemise and then the nightgown.

As a final measure, he smoothed his hair before turning around shyly. Aoife watched him closely with those grey eyes.

'How long had her eyes been open?' he wondered.

He dreaded the words that would roll past her lips. He imagined getting drawn and quartered for his indecency. He imagined her mourning her ruined honor at his trial.

"You're pretty" She said causing him to breathe a sigh of relief "And don't worry, you'll grow"

He was safe for now, but for how much longer?

"I am tired" he announced "Good night"

"Good night" she echoed.

=^..^=

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Hiya, I hope it isn't too rushed. I'm just trying to get to the main setting where most of the story is planned so I hope you'll stick around. Thanks for reading.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“Do what you came here to do and leave…….”

D. Eden's picture

Just what knowledge does the Princess possess about Wulfric, or I suppose we should refer to him as Elara now? What does she think he is supposed to be doing? And how is he supposed to leave?

It appears that either no one knows he is really male, or they have some additional plan to make that irrelevant. And if the Princess does not want him attending her, then just how is it that she expects him to blend in?

I wonder just where this is going, and how it will effect Wulfric and his friend Thurstan…….

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Edit

Emma's picture

I had intended to include the princess allowing Elara to accompany her in court but I was so sleepy when I wrote that, I forgot about it.

So I've just stealthily edited it in before many more people read it. Hope that's not sketchy lol.

Other great points as usual as well.

It's Not Unusual

joannebarbarella's picture

(With apologies to Tom Jones!) I think many spies have to operate in the dark when they begin an assignment. Gawen already demonstrated how easy it is to lie, so Elara has been thrown in at the deep end.

The scene has been nicely set and apart from Aurelia's ambiguity we have to wonder if Aoife is sharing the room in order to spy on the new girl.

Going well, Emma!

First

Emma's picture

I love the Tom Jones comment.

It's a big disadvantage to go into something like this without knowing the motives of anyone around you. Certainly is a tough spot to be in but let's hope our girl can make it out alive.

Thanks for reading as usual. Means a fuck ton.

Setting up

Emma Anne Tate's picture

This chapter does a nice job transitioning from the army setting to Wulfric’s new role as “Elara.” Your descriptions really capture the scene, and you have introduced some intriguing characters. Great story, Emma!

Emma