Silver Bell Wish 9

Printer-friendly version

Silver Bell Wish 9
by Peregrine


Rian in costume


Copyright © 2023 Peregrine
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


.
Chapter 9

Back again

“I guess we better get to the table,” said Rian.


Rian and Alex made their way to the Poinsettia table. Mrs. Davenport’s face lit up upon seeing them approach. Rian, Alex, thanks for coming.”

“Mr. and Mrs. Davenport, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” said Alex, shaking Mr. Davenport’s hand.

“Hi, Mrs. Davenport, Mr. Davenport,” said Rian.

“Rian, call me Nancy.”

“How about we talk about the foundation,” said Mr. Davenport to Alex.

Mrs. Davenport looked at the two guys. “I think we should let them talk.” The ladies walked to the opposite end of the table. “Are you and your sister enjoying the party?”

“Very much.”

“I’m glad. I have a favor to ask of you.”

“Ask away.”

“I told you my husband bought presents for the children who will be in the hospital on Christmas day. It was Ellen’s idea. She asked if Rian could help hand them out.” She held up her hand as Rian started to say something. “I know it is Christmas day, and it’s last-minute notice. Your Santa, his name is Carlos, right? He said he would do it. We would love for you to be there. We will pay you, of course.”

“Nancy, I’d love to help and you don’t need to pay me.” Nancy patted Rian’s hand.

“I’m giving you a piece of advice. Never turn down money when it’s offered to you,” said Nancy. “You graduate in May, right? What are your plans for the summer and after?”

“I’m hoping to get accepted into grad school and I’ll look for a summer job.”

“What are you planning on studying?”

“I’m planning on getting my master’s in theater. I double majored in theater and finance, so maybe I can work with my father this summer.”

“If you’re interested, there will be an internship opening in the finance department at my husband’s company. It’s yours if you want it.”

“That’s so generous.”

“Let me know what school you’re applying to for your master’s. Darrin is on the board of many of the universities in the area. I’m sure he can get you in with a full scholarship. I expect your grades are good enough to get in, right?”

“Yes, no problem there but…”

“I don’t want to hear any buts. I’ll send you an email about the internship and you let me know the university you’re interested in.”

“I don’t know what to say. Thank you, Nancy.”

“You’re welcome. I see the guys are done talking business.”

“You come and see me right after the new year,” said Mr. Davenport as he shook Alex’s hand.

“I will, Mr. Davenport. I can’t thank you enough.”

“We have to be on our way,” said Mr. Davenport, standing next to his wife. “Merry Christmas to you both. Oh, Rian, will I see you tomorrow to hand out presents?”

“You will, sir.”

“Thank you. Have a good night.”

The Davenports left a stunned Rian and Alex. They were sharing their stories when Renee and Grady showed up.

“Rian, I want you to meet Grady. Grady, this is my sister, Rian.”

“You’re the elf that saved Christmas. You were terrific.”

“Thank you, Grady, and it’s nice to meet you.”

“Grady has to leave and his parents said they would drive me home. Is that okay?”

“Sure. Call me when you get home, please.”

“Alright.”

“It was nice meeting you, Rian,” said Grady.

Renee and Grady walked to the entrance hand in hand.

“Could there be a budding romance with those two?” asked Alex.

“They will go to their prom together. You can bet on that,” said Rian.

“I’m going to head on out. Can I get your coat?”

“That would be great.”

“I’d drive you home, but you drove here.” Alex got their coats and helped Rian with her coat. “I can walk you to your car.”

“I’m going to stay and say goodbye to my cast mates before I leave.”

Alex drew near and put his arms around Rian’s waist, pulling her close. “Call me when you get home.”

"I will," Rian responded softly. They shared a lingering kiss, the soft touch of their lips conveying a mixture of love and newfound commitment. Alex brushed a stray hair from her forehead before he reluctantly left.

~~0~~

Rian said her goodbyes and made her way to the pavilion’s main lobby. Stopping to look at the tree as she walked past it, she remembered the tree ornament still in her purse. She took the ornament from her bag, and then studied the tree, looking for the perfect spot. Placing the ornament on a branch, she stepped back. The tree looked amazing with the silver bells and red and green ornaments.

“Ah, that is the perfect spot for that ornament,” came a voice. Turning, she saw the janitor still wearing the Santa hat. She smiled.

“Yes, it is,” said Rian. “I guess I should thank you.”

“Thank me? Whatever for?”

“My wish. My different life. It’s been a wonderful week. Seeing Renee healthy, seeing my family happy, visiting the children, saving the foundation, I couldn’t have asked for more.”

“I guess you’re ready, then.”

“Ready for what?”

“To go back.”

“I have to go back?”

“Rian, you knew deep down you would go back. The time has come.”

Rian looked at the floor, the tree, and finally the janitor. “I guess I did, sort of. But my family here and Renee?”

“They will be fine. Renee will go to her prom with Grady. Your family celebrates a wonderful Christmas. The news of how Alex saved the foundation will spread, giving him more clients for his business. He will need to expand and hire people. The dogs continue to visit the children for a very long time.”

“Back home…? Will Renee…?”

“Your sister will still be sick, but this is Christmas. Anything can happen.” He smiled and pointed to Rian’s bag. “I’m sure you still have the bell.”

“I do.” Rian heard a faint ringing and looked down at her purse. She smiled at the janitor and took out the silver bell he had given her.

“I think you know the drill,” said the janitor.

Rian walked up to the tree. She took a deep breath and rang the bell. With it still ringing, she placed it on the tree and closed her eyes.

~~0~~

“Stop daydreaming, Rian. Get out there and take your bow.”

Rian opened his eyes and realized he was backstage and wearing his costume. Recovering, he went to center stage to take a bow. He swept his arms in Santa’s direction, and Santa came on stage and took a bow. Both Santa and Rian took hold of the hand of the person on either side of them, and the entire cast took a final bow. The curtain closed, and the cast hurried off stage, leaving Rian standing there. “I’m back,” he said.

“Rian, get over here,” said Kimber. “We want to get a picture together before you take off your costume. I’m sure you want to get out of it as soon as you can.”

Rian followed Kimber and joined the elves for a group shot, then another with Santa, then another with Professor Atwood, and then more with the cast. After the last picture, Professor Atwood took Rian aside.

“There are some people from the audience who want to speak with you.”

“Do you think I can change first?”

“I think you should go out just as you are,” she said, smiling.

Rian sighed. ‘It doesn’t matter. I’ve been wearing the costume for the entire week,’ he thought. He walked out through the curtain and found three women waiting for him.

“I’m Rian Transdale. You asked to see me?” He said as he came off the stage into the audience. Using the steps was easier after his week in heels.

“Yes, I’m Mrs. Kazanowski,” she said, extending her hand. Rian shook her hand as she continued the introductions. “This is Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. Graham. I have to say, we thought your performance was fantastic. I need to be sure you are the Rian Transdale who applied for Temple’s Grad school.”

Rian realized these were the people who were evaluating him. “Yes, yes, I am.”

“Please, excuse me for asking. You are male, correct?”

“Yes, there was a mix-up with the costumes.” Rian gave them a brief explanation.

“I have to say, your acting and deportment on stage had me convinced you were a girl. This is the third time we saw the show, and you never faltered once. You are the kind of actor we want in our program.”

“You mean I’m in?” said Rian.

“Of course you’re in. Didn’t you get the letter?”

“Yes, I did. I thought you were coming to evaluate me for entrance to the program.”

“You have early acceptance.” Mrs. Kazanowski sighed. “We have to get them to change that letter. We’re here to evaluate you for a scholarship to the program. From what we have seen these past three shows, you have a unanimous yes from all three of us. Congratulations.”

“Thank you,” said Rian. “What a wonderful Christmas present.” Rian shook the hands of all three women.

“You’re welcome. We expect great things from you. Well, you change out of your costume. A letter with the details will go out after the new year.”

“Thank you and Merry Christmas,” said Rian.

Rian climbed the steps and went backstage to a waiting Professor Atwood. “I’ve been accepted into their program.”

“That’s wonderful, Rian. Congrats.”

~~0~~

Rian was on cloud nine as he got into his car and left the theater, heading home. It felt like a long time since he wore his male clothing. The past week he had been in his costume while visiting the children in the hospital and then performing in the show. After the show, he wore a dress or a skirt or tight jeans. It seemed he had worn girl’s clothing all week. Now, not having the bra around his chest was a relief, yet felt strange being absent. He told his car system to call Alex as he made a turn toward home.

“Hi, Rian. Coming home from the last show?”

“Yeah, I finished changing and I’m heading home.”

“I guess you’re glad to not have to wear the costume anymore.”

“It feels like that’s all I’ve been wearing for the week.”

“I think it’s been good for you.”

“Wearing the costume?”

“Yeah, that and having to act as a girl. You’ve seemed different somehow, like you’ve let your feminine side out.”

“You want me to wear a skirt for you?”

“I wouldn’t mind if you wanted to. We could go shopping.” Alex giggled. “Make sure Renee sends me pictures when you’re her sister.”

“She told you about that, huh?” He heard Alex giggle again. “Hey, I have to tell you, I got into the master’s program. They told me I’m getting a full scholarship!”

“That’s great! I’m still waiting to hear.”

“You have nothing to worry about. Once you set your mind on what you want to do, nothing can stop you. I can’t wait to hear your valedictorian speech. And I think you should study finance.”

“Wow, I like this you. You’ve learned a lot playing a girl for the week.”

“You don’t know the half of it.”

“I’m sorry I won’t see you tomorrow. We’ll be visiting my grandmother.”

“It’s alright. I can call you. I’ll see you after Christmas, right?”

“Yes, you will.”

“I gotta go. I’m pulling up to the house. Merry Christmas. Love ya.”

“Merry Christmas. Love you too.”

~~0~~

Rian saw his sister as he walked in the door.

“You’re home!” said Renee. “Wait till you hear!”

“Let your brother get settled. Hang up your coat and join us in the kitchen,” said his father.

Rian walked into the kitchen to see everyone eating ice cream and cupcakes.

“Are we celebrating something?”

“Yes, we are. The doctor called to let us know the results of Renee’s PET scan.”

“The doctor said there is no sign of the disease!” said Renee. “I can go back to school after the new year!”

“That’s great, Renee. It’s the best news I’ve heard today.” He hugged his sister. “I have news too. I am getting a full scholarship for the master’s program.”

“That is good news. It looks like it’s going to be a merry Christmas. Grab a bowl and get yourself some ice cream.”

~~0~~

Christmas celebration passed all too quickly. Rian went to see Alex the day after. They exchanged gifts and Alex gave him a second gift of candy cane earrings. Rian came home and saw Renee talking with a boy at the dining room table.

“Who’s the boy with Renee?” he asked his mother as he walked into the kitchen.

“Oh him. That’s Grady. He’s been coming over to help your sister keep up with her studies since I’ve been taking evening shifts.”

“I haven’t seen him before.”

“He’s come over mostly in the early afternoon while you’re at school and when you were rehearsing. He’s determined to bring her up to speed, so she doesn’t feel lost when she goes back.”

Rian smiled as he watched them from the kitchen door. “Hey, can I ask you an off-the-wall question?”

“You can ask me anything.”

“When you were pregnant with me, did you know you were having a boy?”

“That’s not a question I was expecting,” said his mother. She stopped what she was doing and put her hands on the counter. “I didn’t know. We told the doctors we wanted to be surprised.”

“Did you have a girl’s name picked out?”

His mother smiled. “If you had been a girl, your name would have been Rhiannon. Why the interest?”

Rian smiled. “It came up during the play. I didn’t know how to answer.”

~~0~~

Rian knocked on Renee’s door as he stood outside her room.

“Can I come in?”

“Sure.” Renee put aside the school book she had been reading.

“How’s the schoolwork going?”

“It’s fine. It was easier when Mom was homeschooling me.”

“She took it easy on you?”

“A little. Grady wants to make sure I know this stuff.”

“Did you know him?”

“Not really. I’ve seen him at school. He’s in most of my classes. Mom contacted the school to get someone to help me with schoolwork when she started working night shifts. She said Grady volunteered.”

“I see. Do you like him? He seems nice?”

“I can’t talk about boys with you. You’re my brother. I have to finish this chapter.”

Rian smiled and left the room as Renee went back to reading the book.

Twenty minutes later, Rian knocked on Renee’s door again. “Can I come in?”

Renee looked up and saw Rian wearing the blue floral jumper, pantyhose, heels, and makeup. She laughed. “Are you going to be my sister tonight?”

Rian walked over and sat on the bed.

“Tonight I’m your sister Rhiannon.”

Renee sat closer to Rian. “This is so cool.”

“I’m guessing you like Grady, since you wouldn’t talk to your brother about him.”

“I might. He’s nice, and he is cute.”

“I think you two would make a good couple going to your prom. Do you think you would like to go with him?”

“I’ve been thinking about it.”

“Let me help you.”

“How can you help me?”

Rian moved closer to his sister. “I’ve got a surefire plan.”

“You’ve got a plan,” she said sarcastically. “Where did you get this plan?”

“From a very smart young woman that I know. There are only three steps.”

Rian and Renee laughed. Then Rian began explaining the plan.

~~0~~
The End

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.


Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.


Cover picture Credits:
Photo Created with AI using Gencraft (after many tries)
Photo Composite by Peregrine

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really Sweet Ending...

...to a really good story, one of the most enjoyable stories in the category that I can recall in all the years I've been here. Thanks for posting it.

Eric

Thank you

With all the talent on this site, that's high praise.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it

Thanks

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Loved the ending

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Ending with Renee, and having Rhiannon make an appearance as her older sister, was perfect. Alex was important to the story, but the real magic was between Rian and Renee.

Lovely story, Peregrine. Thank you!

Emma

You're welcome

With all the help Renee v2 gave RIan V2, it only seemed fair Rian V1 should help Renee V1.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Loved it

Alice-s's picture

Just the right amount of Xmas fantasy.

I'm happy...

I'm happy you enjoyed it.
Thanks for reading.

Yeah! Me Too

joannebarbarella's picture

Others have said it but I have to tell you how much I liked it.

And thank you again for your generosity in lending me your two great pictures.

Joanne

Thanks

I'm glad you enjoyed the story.
I was happy to lend you the pictures.
Seeing the picture of Santa and six elves getting used was nice. I told the AI, I wanted five elves.

I have already told everyone…….

D. Eden's picture

The “The Family Man” is my favorite Christmas movie, but now I can tell everyone that this is my favorite Christmas story.

Thank you for capping off a nice Christmas Day for me!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

You're Welcome...

...and thank you. That is such a nice comment.

I finally got to watch The Family Man movie. I think it's going to be a yearly tradition!