Silver Bell Wish 2

Printer-friendly version

Silver Bell Wish 2
by Peregrine


Rian in costume


Copyright © 2023 Peregrine
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


Chapter 2

Fashion Show
‘He hated admitting it, but he almost looked as good as the girls in their costumes. With a shrug of his shoulders, he went to show his sister his costume.’

Rain started his walk to Renee’s room. The shoes took a few steps to get used to, but were easy to walk in. The heels on the shoes were low, and he wondered how girls walked in higher heels. Renee turned as she heard Rian at her door. Her eyes got big.

“Oh, my God! You look so cute. Turn around. Let me see.” Rian did as instructed. “How can you not want to wear this for the play? You look adorable.”

“It’s a girl’s costume, that’s why.”

“Then you should have been a girl. You have to wear it in the play. Please, you gotta.”

“I don’t think I can pass as a girl.”

Renee shook her head. “Did you look at yourself? I know what will help.” She went over to her makeup table. “Sit here.”

“Really, Renee. We don’t need to do that.”

“Please. I bet I can make you look like a girl. I want to see if I can do it. Please.” She saw her brother’s indecision. “Just so you can wear that costume.”

This was the most excited Rian had seen his sister in a long while. He reluctantly sat down, and Renee began working her magic. She was very good with makeup and was thinking of going to cosmetology school when she graduated from high school. It didn’t take Renee long to finish after Rian sat down. When done, she stepped back.

“There, no one would doubt you were a girl! Now all you have to do is act the part,” she said. “Look.” When Rian turned to the mirror, he couldn’t believe the reflection staring back at him. He saw a good-looking girl in an elf costume. The elf was kind of cute. He was still admiring his reflection when their mother came to the door.

“Dinner will be ready soon. How do you feel Renee? Do you think you can eat?” She paused when she saw her son. “Rian? Oh, my.”

He turned to his mother. “What do you think?”

“That costume is so cute on you.”

“That’s what I told him,” Renee chimed in.

“And the makeup is just right. Very nice job Renee. I'm assuming you did your brother’s makeup.”

“Of course I did, Mom. Thanks. But something is missing.”

“I know,” said their mother. “Wait here.”

“Like I’m going anywhere like this.”

“You’re going to go to dress rehearsal like this.”

“No, I’ll change there.”

“Who’ll do your makeup? You don’t know how to do it?”

"I'll figure something out."

Their mother came back with two breast forms in her hand. "Take off the vest and the top."

"But..."

"Yes, we will see your bra. It’s just us girls here." Renee giggled at her mother’s comment.

Rian did as instructed and their mother put the forms into the cups of Rian's bra. She adjusted the bra straps. “There, that's much better. They appear more flattering on you than they did on your grandmother. Put your top and vest back on.”

Rian noticed the top fit better as he finished dressing.

“Now let me do something quick with your hair,” she said, picking up a brush. “Now you look like a proper lady elf. Let me snap a few pictures.” She got her phone and took more than a few pictures. Renee did the same.

“Come on guys, enough already.”

“I guess that’s enough for now. I’ll get more at the play.” Rian groaned.

“Does Alex know about your costume?” asked Renee.

“Yeah. I stopped to see her on the way home.”

“I have to send her a picture.” Rian groaned again as Renee’s fingers typed on her phone.

“I came to tell you dinner is ready. Renee, eat whatever you feel you can. Make sure you drink the protein drink if you can’t eat much. Your father will be home late, so put the leftovers away. I’ve got the late shift at the hospital. I’ll see you both tomorrow. Don't forget to take your nighttime medicine.” Beth said as she left for work.

“Let me change and we can go to the kitchen and eat,” said Rian.

“Why do you have to change?”

“I can’t chance getting food on my costume.”

Renee went over to her closet. “Here, you can wear this.”

“Why would I wear this?” said Rian as he looked at the romper with a blue flower print his sister handed him.

“You can step into it instead of pulling it down over your head. This way, you won’t ruin your makeup.”

“I’m taking off the makeup.”

“But it will take you too long to remove the makeup. I did a good job too. Don’t take it off yet.”

Rian sighed. “Do you promise you will eat?”

“I’ll eat as much as I can.”

“Let me change and put this romper thing on and then we go down together.”

“And I can have a big sister for the night.”

~~0~~

Rian and Renee found the casserole their mother had made for dinner. Rian put on an apron to cover the romper. His sister got the plates while he took the casserole out of the oven. Rian looked at his sister as he served the food.

“You must like this casserole. You look happy.”

“It’s not the casserole, silly. I’m happy I have a sister for a while,” said Renee as she picked up a fork full of food.

“You don’t like your big brother?”

“Of course I do,” she said as she moved food around on her plate. “I’ve wondered what it would be like to have a sister. Someone to talk to about clothes, makeup, and boys.”

“It’s me who would ask you about that stuff… except the boy’s part.”

Renee laughed.

“How about I be your sister tonight until you go to bed?”

“Really!”

“Really. Maybe you can teach me how to do the makeup so I can do it while at the theater.”

“Deal!”

Brother and sister cleaned up after dinner. Back in Renee’s room, Rian found himself applying makeup several times under the guidance of his sister.

“That was better than the last time. You’re picking this up fast.”

“I have an outstanding teacher. I think I can do it for the rehearsal tomorrow. Thank you, Renee.”

“You’re welcome. It’s been fun. I enjoyed having a big sister tonight.” Renee gave Rian a hug, then looked up at him with big, pleading eyes. “Do you think she could show up another night?”

“You never know. Anything is possible.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Get yourself ready for bed. I’ll get your meds.”

Renee took her meds and said goodnight. Rian turned out the light and went to the bathroom. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. ‘With this makeup, I could be her sister.’ He turned to leave when his father walked past the door.

“I didn’t hear you come in, Dad.” His father smiled at his son.

“What did your sister do to convince you to dress up?”

“She wanted to see me in my costume. Then she wanted to do my makeup. Since I didn’t want to wear my costume while eating, she gave me this to wear.”

Scott chuckled. “It looks good on you.”

“After dinner, she showed me how to do the makeup. She’s very good at it and a good teacher.”

His father smiled. “She certainly is. You’re a good brother, Rian.”

Rian looked up at his father. “Is she going to be alright, Dad?” he said, lowering his voice.

His father sighed. “I don’t know, son. She’s doing fine now, but the doctors are concerned it will come back. But they’re hopeful. We’ll have a better idea after we get the results of her PET scan. But now, I’m sure you want to get yourself cleaned up. I’m going to watch a little TV.”

~~0~~

Rian finished taking off the makeup and the romper. He took off the undergarments and put on a pair of boxers. His phone rang and checking it, he saw it was Alex. “Hi, Alex.”

“Sorry, I’m calling so late. I just left work.”

“Did something happen?”

“The normal shit. Someone called out. I stayed around to help. I got the picture your sister sent me. You look adorable in your costume. Did Renee do your makeup?”

“Do you think I could have done that? She taught me how to do it after dinner.”

“You stayed in costume until after dinner?”

“No, she gave me one of her rompers to wear while we ate.” Rian heard Alex giggle.

“You wore one of her rompers and she didn’t send me a picture? Tell her I’m disappointed.” Alex paused before continuing. “How is she doing?”

“She seems to be doing good. She ate most of her dinner. I don’t know if she was feeling better or if it was because I made her promise to eat if I was her sister during dinner.”

“You’re a good sister, Rian,” said Alex, then giggled again.

“Ha ha, hilarious. I have to wear this costume until Christmas. Can we ease up on the jokes?”

“I’ll try,” said Alex. “Now I know what to get you for Christmas. I saw a cute pair of earrings…” The giggling continued.

“Goodbye, Alex. Have a good night.”

“Don’t be mad. I was only teasing.”

“I know you were. But I think that’s what I’ll be hearing all week from the guys until the end of the play. Maybe even after the play.”

“I’ll be on my best behavior. Have a good night. Tell Renee that I want a picture the next time you’re her sister.”

“Good night, Alex.”

“Nite, Rian. Love ya.”

“Love ya, too.”

~~0~~

Rian went to the early morning dress rehearsal with his costume and a makeup bag his sister gave him. She convinced him to wear the undergarments she gave him and black pantyhose to rehearsal so he wouldn’t have to put them on in the dressing room. Thinking about it, he agreed. The guys might see him put on a skirt, but they wouldn’t see him put on panties and a bra.

He arrived in plenty of time and found Professor Atwood talking to someone from the stage crew.

“Professor Atwood, where should I change?”

“The dressing room. Why would you ask…” She saw it was Rian. “You’ll have to use the men’s dressing room for now.”

“But…”

“That’s the best I can do.”

Rian sighed as he entered the men’s dressing room and looked around for a somewhat secluded spot to change. He knew the good-natured ribbing would begin once he was in costume. Not finding a suitable spot, he used one of the restroom stalls to change. Removing his shirt, he slid the white top over his head. The green vest was next. Slipping off his pants, he pulled up the red skirt. With everything situated, he opened the stall door and stepped out just as Carlos walked in.

“Ho, ho, ho, you’re in the wrong room, little elf. The lady’s dressing room is across the hall.”

“No, Carlos, I’m not. It’s Rian. Professor Atwood said I had to use the men’s dressing room to change.”

“Rian? Holy shit! Is that really you?” said a startled Carlos.

“Yeah. You heard they ordered the wrong costume for me, didn’t you?”

“I haven’t been paying much attention. Damn, you look good! Has anyone seen you yet?”

“You’re the first.” Rian headed for the door.

“Get ready for some razzing when you go out there, buddy. Damn, I can’t believe you look so good. Do you have makeup on?”

“No, not yet.”

“Damn!”

As Rian walked through the door, the chatter in the room slowly died down as the cast members saw him. Taking his seat, Rian broke the ice.

“Yes, it’s me, guys. They screwed up my costume.” He sat down and pulled on his leg warmers.

The chatter in the room picked up again, all of it about him. Good-natured bantering lasted the whole time he did his makeup. It frustrated Rian, as the guys wouldn’t let up. He put on his shoes, got up, and walked to the door, where he stopped, turned his head, and kicked up his left foot behind him before walking out. This caused the guys to erupt as the door closed. Rian walked backstage. He was determined to let the comments roll off his back. Still, he wondered how he was going to get through the play.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.


Cover picture Credits:
Photo Created with AI using Gencraft (after many tries)
Photo Composite by Peregrine

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rian? A girl in the making?

Looking good so far. A nice intro to what could be a great Xmas story.
It's amazing what boys will do for a cute little sister.

Polly J

Good family interaction

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Really enjoying Rian’s interactions with his sister and parents. Gentle, supportive, and all-around sweet.

Emma

Rian Has To Get It Together

joannebarbarella's picture

He looks absolutely adorable as an elf. Stop fighting it. It's for Christmas, although I get the feeling it will also be for Renee. You've made me jealous because I have some similar stuff in my (hopefully) forthcoming Christmas story.

However, you've done something else here. You have demonstrated that you are a prime candidate for our New Year Contest. Details are on BC Blogs if you haven't seen them. We are looking for writers with smarts and skills and you certainly qualify. Do us all a favour and sign up for the contest.

BTW, can I borrow that image of Rian, please?

Hanging

I was hoping for more for Rain and his girlfriend and sister.

I would of liked a better ending

Keep on hanging on

Rian's story is not done yet!

Peregrine