Silver Bell Wish 1

Printer-friendly version

Silver Bell Wish 1
by Peregrine
My attempt at a Christmas story. The plan is to have it done by Christmas.


Rian in costume


Copyright © 2023 Peregrine
All rights reserved.
Disclaimer:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


Chapter 1

The Show Must Go On

Rian Transdale arrived backstage after the school charity Christmas play’s rehearsal. There was always energy after a rehearsal with cast members buzzing with excitement, discussing successful scenes, and sharing positive feedback. Rian saw a fellow elf in the cast holding a garment bag bubbling with some of that excitement.
“Is that your costume?” He asked Kimber.
“Yeah, they were just unpacked. They’re absolutely adorable. You should see Tommy’s head elf costume. Imagine a butler but in green and red. He will definitely look like the Head Elf for sure. I'm going to try mine on.” Kimber ran off to the dressing room.
Rian checked the costume rack for the one labeled with his name. Finding it, he removed it from the rack and unzipped the bag. His enthusiasm wavered when he looked inside. The costume featured a white button-down top with mesh sleeves, a green vest, a red skater skirt, and candy-cane-striped leg warmers. A pair of black low heels and a Santa hat were at the bottom of the bag.
‘There’s no way this can be right,’ he thought.
He found Professor Toni Atwood talking with Carlos Moreno, who was playing Santa Claus. He waited until Carlos walked away.
“Professor Atwood?

“What can I do for you Rian?” said a smiling Professor Atwood.

“It’s about my costume.”

“Aren’t they perfect? They came out exactly as we imagined.”

“Um… yeah, but the costume I have is for a girl.”

Rian was not the most masculine-looking guy. Standing at a height of five feet four inches, he had a small stature, a slim body, and hair that reached just below his shoulders. People would often mistake him for a girl when he went shopping with his mother and sister.

“What? Hold on a minute.” She paged through the papers on her clipboard and turned to Rian. “Oh, dear. It seems we ordered five female elf costumes and one male head elf costume.”

“So, what can we do?”

Professor Atwood shook her head. “Not much, I’m afraid. We have dress rehearsal tomorrow and the play opens on Friday. Even if we ordered a new costume, it wouldn’t be here before the play ended. You’ll have to wear it.”

“Shit! I can’t wear this.”

“Why not?”

“It’s a girl’s costume! It’s bad enough I get mistaken for a girl. And wearing this…”

“You can’t wear it because it’s a girl’s costume? You’re an actor, aren’t you? Weren’t you in Professor Hagan’s class? He always does a skit where the guys dress in drag.” She lowered her glasses and looked at Rian over the frame. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but with a little padding on top, I think you’d look quite good in the costume. Your body structure is good and with your hair and your androgynous look, it would work.”

“But…”

“Rian, it’s only a costume.”

“It’s just that someone from the master’s program will attend the show to evaluate me for admittance.”

“Whether you’re a male elf or a female elf, it doesn’t change your part in the play. I think it will show them you can act. You’ll look great in the costume. I think you can pull it off.”

“I guess,” said Rian.

“That’s the spirit. Things will be fine.”

Professor Atwood left to attend to other matters, leaving Rian holding the costume.

The Christmas play the college was putting on was benefiting the Children’s Hospital charity drive. He was an acting major and had been excited to get a part in the play. Being in the play was special for Rian. His younger sister, Renee, had been seriously ill a while back and had gone to the Children’s Hospital for treatment. She was back home, still receiving treatments, but doing better. When he heard the play benefited the hospital, he jumped at the chance to be in it.

Rian had a reason to be concerned. He had applied to Temple’s theater program for his master’s degree. The letter he received informed him someone from the school would be in the audience to evaluate him. He had auditioned at the school and had done well. Not knowing when they would show up, he felt the need to stay sharp. His having to perform as an elf and be convincing as a girl was going to be challenging.

He saw two elf girls cast mates who had changed into their costumes excitedly showing the other girls. He sighed as he realized that would be him tomorrow at dress rehearsal.

~~0~~

Rian stopped by the Coffee House Café on his way home. As he entered the café, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee was enticing his senses. He could hear the soothing background music, creating a comfortable ambiance. The subdue lighting with some strategically placed table lamps was casting a gentle glow throughout the space. Customers were scattered throughout the café, some engrossed in their work on laptops, others in conversation. His girlfriend, Alex, the barista, had finished crafting some intricate latte art when she saw Rian walk in.

Alex Diverso was a pretty twenty-year-old girl with reddish brown shoulder-length hair that framed her face. She had hazel eyes that seemed to draw you in the more you looked at them. She was wearing a long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a brown apron. Rian noticed she left the top three buttons of her top undone.

“Hi, Rian. Are you just coming from rehearsal?” She said as he walked up to the counter.

“Yeah, we finished late and our costumes arrived, so of course we had to look at them.”

“I can’t wait to see you as an elf.” Alex giggled at the thought. “Would you like a coffee?”

“Sure.” Alex turned to get a cup as Rian continued. “Remember when I told you I was the only guy worker elf?” Alex put the lid on the coffee cup and set it down next to Rian.

“You said Tommy was the head elf, and you were the only other guy elf.”

“Things have changed.”

“Did they add another guy as an elf? Somewhat late to do that, isn’t it?”

“They ordered Tommy’s head elf costume and five worker elf costumes.”

“I don’t see the problem.”

“The five Elf costumes were all girl costumes.”

Alex stopped what she was doing and looked wide-eyed at Rian. “Does that mean…?”

“Yeah, I have to wear a girl’s costume,” said Rian. Alex couldn’t hold back a laugh.

“I’m sorry, but that’s so funny.”

“Not to me.”

“Hey, I didn’t mean to laugh. I think you’ll look great in the costume. You looked good as a nurse at the Halloween party. Just don’t look better than me,” she said semi-seriously.

“No chance of that.” He leaned in and kissed Alex. “You’re going to be at the first performance, aren’t you?”

“I wouldn’t miss my favorite female elf.”

“Really?”

“Sorry. I couldn’t resist. Send me a picture of you in your costume.”

Rian took a sip of the coffee Alex had put in front of him as Alex cleaned an imaginary spill on the counter.

“I’m thinking about going back to school,” said Alex.

“You are? You want to go to college? It’s been what, two years since you graduated from high school? Why the sudden change?”

“I’ve been thinking a lot about it recently. I don’t want to work in a café for the rest of my life. Going to college would be good for me.”

“What are you thinking of studying?”

“Well, the test I took in high school showed I have an aptitude for finance.”

“You want to go into finance?”

“I’m doing the bookkeeping here, so it makes sense. Isn’t that your backup plan? You double majored in theater and finance so you can work at your father’s firm when not acting. Just think. We could work together and maybe start our own firm.”

Rian chuckled. “Those are some lofty ambitions.”

Alex stared at Rian. “You don’t think I can do it, do you?”

“It’s not that.”

“Thanks for the encouragement.” Alex spun around to go to the other end of the counter.

“Alex, stop. Wait.” Alex turned towards Rian. “I think you should take it one step at a time, that’s all.”

“You’ll see. I’ll get in and graduate at the top of my class.”

“I’m saying it might be hard applying after two years.”

“There you go again. My grades were good enough to get me into a college when I graduated.”

“I don’t want to see you disappointed.”

“I’m going to get in. You’ll see.”

“Where are you thinking of applying?”

“I applied to Temple.”

“That’s where I applied for their Master’s program.”

“I know. Maybe we can go to school together, at least for two years.”

“I have to get in first.”

“Didn’t you get a letter from them?”

“They sent me a letter alright. The letter said someone would come to the play I’m doing to evaluate me for the program.”

“That’s good, right?”

“No, it sucks.”

“Why?”

“Normally it would be fine. Someone from the school is coming to the play to evaluate me for the program. But now I have to wear a girl’s costume and play a girl in the play. I don’t know if I can do it.”

“Didn’t you tell me you played a girl in some skit? You said you were in drag, too.”

“That was in class and it was a comedy. We didn’t take it seriously. This is different. I have to play a girl elf and be convincing. My entrance to the program is on the line.”

“So no pressure, then.”

“I think the universe is telling me this is all a dream. Maybe after this play, I’ll put all this acting stuff behind me and focus on finance like my dad.”

“But you’re so good at acting.”

“After I got that letter, I’m having my doubts.”

“You can do whatever you set your mind to, even if it is being a girl elf. You may not have faith in me, but I’ve faith in you.”

Rian looked down at the counter, then back up at Alex. “I guess I deserved that. I better get home.”

“Say hi to Renee for me.”

“I will.”

~~0~~

Rian’s parents lived less than ten miles from school, which allowed him to live at home rather than in the dorms. This way, he could help his parents with his younger sister.
Their house sat on a well-manicured lawn dotted with a few flower beds. The vinyl siding created a welcoming exterior. He smiled as he drove up the paved driveway and parked outside the two-car garage.
His mother saw him as he walked through the door.

“How was school?” Beth Transdale asked.

“It was a rehearsal, Mom. The semester is over until after the new year.”

“So, how was rehearsal?”

Rian sighed. “It was fine.”

“Why the long face? Did something happen?”

Rian told his mother about the costume mix-up.

“I think it was very nice of you to agree to wear it for the play.”

“I don’t want to wear it.”

“Don’t want to wear what?” asked Scott Transdale as he came into the room, shrugging on his jacket.

“My costume in the play. They made a mistake and I’ll have to wear a girl’s elf costume.”

“That’s unfortunate, but I don’t see the problem. Didn’t you wear your mother’s scrubs to take your sister to a Halloween party at the hospital? If I remember right, your sister did your makeup. You looked pretty good.”

“It was a Halloween costume. This is different. To make matters worse, when the person from Temple comes to evaluate me, they’ll see me in a girl’s costume.”

“You’re an actor, aren’t you? Act the part no matter what you wear. You should be able to act it naked, however, I think you should wear the costume. But you do as you want.” Scott turned to his wife. “I going to see the guys. We are going to plan a benefit for Tom.” He kissed his wife.

“When does he start treatments?”

“I believe he starts next week. We want to raise money for him and his family.”

“Try to have a good time.” She said as her husband left. She turned back to her son. “I agree with your father.” She handed Rian the medicine she was holding. “Go bring your sister her medicine.”

~~0~~

Rian stood in the doorway of his sister’s room. Renee’s room reflected her personality and interests. The color scheme was vibrant and reflected her favorite colors, consisting of various shades of pink. Framed photos, mementos, and favorite belongings were scattered throughout the room. He found her sitting at her desk in front of her computer.

“Hey, squirt. It’s time for your medicine.” He walked up to the chair where Renee was playing a game on her computer.

“Thanks, Rian, and I’m not a squirt. I’m almost as tall as you,” Renee said as she took the pill and glass of water. Looking at the pill, she said, “Do you think they can make the pill any bigger?” She popped the pill into her mouth and swallowed it with a few sips of water. She noticed the garment bag he was carrying. “Whatcha got there?”

“It’s my costume for the play.”

“Ooh, let me see.”

“You don’t want to see it.”

“Sure I do.” Rian offered little resistance as she took the bag from him and looked inside. “This is a girl’s costume,” she said. “Did they give you the right bag?”

Rian told her about the mix-up.

“This is your costume? You’re playing a girl? That’s so cool!”

“No, it’s not.”

“Why not?”

“Like you said, it’s a girl’s costume.”

“So?”

“It’s got a skirt!”

“Your point?”

“I don’t want to wear a girl’s costume.”

“So, you have to wear a girl’s costume. It’s just clothes.”

“Maybe I’ll throw together something myself.”

“Really? Do you think you could put something together that would look like something an elf would wear?”

Rian sighed. “No, not really.”

“You’re an actor, right? Are you going to throw a fit whenever you don’t like a costume? Wear the outfit and act like a girl elf.”

“That’s kind of what my professor said.” Rian smiled at his sister. “When did you get so smart?”

“I always have been. Go try it on and let me see?”

“Now? I can’t...”

“Come on... Please for me.” she looked at her brother, giving him the look she knew he couldn’t resist.

Rian sighed. “Alright. I’ll be back.” He turned to the door.

“Wait.” Renee got up and walked to her dresser. She searched inside the drawer and pulled out some undergarments. “Here, you’ll need these.”

“I don’t need...”

“I’m thinking you don’t already have these unless there is something you want to tell me.” Renee smiled.

“Fine.” Rian took the undergarments and walked to the door.

“You can keep them. You’ll need them for the play.” Renee giggled.

~~0~~

Rian sat on his bed and looked at the garment bag next to him. He shook his head. ‘Why does it have to be a girl’s costume?’ he thought. Because of his size and appearance, he always received some ribbing from the guys. Not as much as he did in high school. Showing up wearing this costume, he was sure the ribbing would increase. He took a deep breath and began putting the costume on.

The panties went on without a problem. Thanks to Professor Hagan’s class, he knew what to do with the bra. Next came the skirt. The red pleated skater’s mini skirt was so short that he was sure if he bent over, he would flash his panties. The white top went over his head and came down to his waist. He noticed the snowball puffs on the shoulders and another just past the elbow. The green cropped vest followed. Sitting on the bed, he put on the red and white striped leg warmers. The black heels completed his outfit.

He stood to look at himself in the mirror. The costume was a perfect fit, except for the top. There was little there to fill it out. He found the Santa hat at the bottom of the bag and put it on. He hated admitting it, but he almost looked as good as the girls in their costumes. With a shrug of his shoulders, he went to show his sister his costume.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.


Cover picture Credits:
Photo Created with AI using Gencraft (after many tries)
Photo Composite by Peregrine

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Intuitive?

Andrea Lena's picture

“Wait.” Renee got up and walked to her dresser. She searched inside the drawer and pulled out some undergarments. “Here, you’ll need these.”

“I don’t need...”

“I’m thinking you don’t already have these unless there is something you want to tell me.” Renee smiled.

Or just a loving sister who loves her brother? Thank you.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Gee, thanks sis...

No pressure, right? Maybe she will be nice enough to give herm some pointers on girl-hood (or at least some upstairs padding).

The question is did the

The question is did the professor actually make a mistake or did she just decide it was more symmetrical with five girl elves?
If he does too good of a job will the person who is supposed to check his performance believe it's him?
Will his girlfriend stay with him once she sees how cute he looks as a girl?

Silver Bells from Renee to Rian...

I remember protesting when others said something girly about me. I was a sensitive boy who liked being around girls. Trying to deny my desire to be a girl, I became a boisterous boy acting in denial. Maybe others something in him that he was denying.
Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Sabotage?

joannebarbarella's picture

Probably not. If he makes a good job of his performance in the play he will get bonus points from the person reviewing him. I think he should treat it as a plus. It may well help him to get into the Temple programme for his Master's degree.

Of course we can expect some wrinkles along the way!