What’s It’s Like for A Girl Book 2 Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Nikki Cory’s House:
Max and Greg couldn’t believe they had been invited to Nikki’s house for a party. She and several of her friends were the most popular girls in their high school.

“Man, I can’t believe Nikki invited us.” Greg looks at Max when he says that.

“Me neither.” Max was cautious as she walked through the door of Nikki’s house.

There were a lot of people in the house and loud music filled the air. Max wishes Brandi was here right now with her or her friend Emily. Neither one of them could make it tonight because they had to work.

Max follows Greg as they walk over to where drinks are set up. You could grab a cold drink from a cooler or make your own. Max notices that there are several bottles of liquor out on the counter.

Greg goes to grab a vodka to pour into a solo cup. He stops when he feels Max’s hand on his wrist. He looks at his friend “What?”

“I don’t think you should, Greg. We’re still underage.”

“We’re at a private residence, Max. The rules don’t apply here. Do you think Nikki’s parents would put alcohol out for a bunch of minors if it was illegal?” Greg looks at his friend to see what she thinks.

“I don’t know.”

“Oh, come on man. One drink isn’t going to hurt and besides, everyone here is doing it.” Greg manages to get Max to let go of his arm.

He heard about a drink called Cape Codder and wanted to see how it tasted. He mixes the vodka and cranberry. He tasted and liked it.

“You have to try it, Max.” Greg holds the solo cup and looks at Max.

“No thank you.” Max grabs a Pepsi and opens it.

Greg shakes his head as the two of them start to mingle. Max watches as Greg starts dancing with some people, they both know. Before long Craig and Max are dancing with people. Max, is handed a can of drink by a cute guy. She hadn’t seen him before, but he was kind of handsome.

They step outside and walk around the backyard. She looks at the guy “Are you a friend of Nikki’s?”

He smirks “I’m her older cousin. By the way, I’m Charlie Cox.” As Charlie holds his hand out to Max.

“I’m Max Puscat, it's nice to meet you.” Max shakes Charlie’s hand.

“I’ve heard about you, Max. You’re the student someone tried to kill at your school. Is there a reason someone would try to hurt a charming person like you?” Charlie heard about a person named Max Puscat getting hurt at Nikki’s high school.

“Some people just can’t accept changes or others.” Max didn’t know how she should reply.

“So, is it true, then?” Charlie looks at Max.

“Is what true?” Max had a confused look on her face.

“That, you decided to switch teams?” Charlie couldn’t see this cute girl walking next to him as ever being a girl.

“I won’t lie to you, Charlie. I was born a boy, but how I felt inside, didn’t match how I felt outside. Do you know what it is like to look at your reflection in the mirror and see a stranger looking back at you?”

“I can’t say I have ever done that, but I understand what you are trying to say. It’s like a skinny kid looking at their reflection and seeing the person they want to be looking back at them. In your case, it was seeing the girl who you should have been born, instead of the guy you saw.”
Charlie understood seeing what you wish you could see.

“Let me guess, you used to be a skinny kid?” Max looks at Charlie when she says that.

“Yep, I was the skinny kid who used to get picked on in school. That was until I started working out. After, I built up my muscles and learned how to protect myself. I started looking out for other kids who were getting picked on.” Charlie had a few friends that used to get picked on because of their hobbies, or because they were extremely smart.

“Wow! I didn’t start to get picked on until I decided to dress how I felt. I was on my school’s swim team and was pretty good.” Max loved swimming.

“How did your coach feel when you switched sides?”

“My coach didn’t mind. She knew I was a good swimmer and the girls didn’t mind. However, now that several states and school systems have started to ban people like me from competing in any sports. I have to find something else to do. Which isn’t fair. Why can girls join any male team, but when someone like me joins a girls’ team, it’s unfair?” Max thought that was unfair.

“That’s above me. I think all sports should be coed. That way, it doesn’t matter what your gender is.” Charlie figures that would solve the problem.

The two of them continue to walk around outside and finally make it back inside. Max finds Greg and notices how wasted he is.

She looks at Charlie “I need to get him home.”

“I’ll give you two a ride.” Charlie helps Max with Greg.

Max noticed at least three different lipstick lips on his face. She also could smell a strong perform someone spritz on him. She also smelled the booze he consumed it was on his breath and his clothes.

Charlie escorts Greg over to his Toyota Prius and helps Max put him in the backseat. He looks at Max “Let’s get you and him home.”

“Thanks, Charlie.”

“You’re welcome.” As Charlie gets into the car.

Max gets in on the passenger side. Once they were on their way, Max gave Charlie directions to Greg’s house first. After helping Greg’s mother with Greg’s passed-out form. She hugs her and leaves.

Charlie drives Max home and makes sure she enters her house, before leaving. Max spots her mother in the living room watching television.

“Hi, mom.” Max smiles at her mother.

Laura looks at her daughter “Did you have fun, dear?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“You’ll have to tell me about it, sweetie.” Laura was happy Max enjoyed herself.

“Can I change first, mom?”

“Sure, sweetie.” Laura could see that Max was happy.

Max heads upstairs to change clothes.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Max meets Charlie

I have to admit I was nervous for max going to a party, especially when a strange guy hands her a drink. Charlie turned out to be a great guy that I think will be a good friend for her to have. Greg getting wasted was predictable and cliche but fits perfectly. Max meeting a white knight who went through a transformation of his own and becoming a champion for the bullied was my favorite part of this chapter. I'm still loving this story thanks for continuing to write.

EllieJo Jayne

Max found some one

Samantha Heart's picture

Who she can kind of relate to. Different situation but still gets it. I wonder what her mom will say when she hears of Greg & what Max TRIED to point out to him. I bet Greg's mom will be mad at him so will his dad.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.