Billion Dollars

Printer-friendly version

Billion Dollars
By Teek
November 2022
430 words long

The world economy was turned upside down 15 years ago when positive impact on others was valued more than climbing a social/economic ladder. When this shift happened, many business leaders and politicians found themselves poor as they were fined when they had a negative impact on others. On the flip side, garbage collectors, custodians, secretaries, and even door greeters found huge pay increases.

I was a teacher at the time the Artificial Intelligence Quality Monitor (AIQM) system was activated. Our camera rich world was linked, and companies started to connect pay to employers AIQM number. The first employees that got this shift were people who worked for the government and some large customer oriented businesses. When profits started to rise and satisfaction with government agencies increased, other businesses joined in. The shift took about five years, but the change to society has been huge. Amazing how helping others and leaving people happy has such a big difference on profits and returning business.

As a Special Education Teacher money was never much of a focus in my life. I often spent 20 to 40% of my annual salary on my classroom and students, so I was poor. I had little life outside of my job because I would help other teachers or parents better meet the needs of my students or any child who was struggling. This was never viewed as anything significant by my administrators. If they even noticed, they just thought it was nice of me to do.

The AIQM system took a different perspective. Each time I helped others, advanced my students beyond expected levels, or went out of my way to educate someone on something they didn’t understand, I was rewarded. The more I put other’s needs before my own and the more I advanced my student’s life, the more money I made. Helping parents understand their kids and set up positive home environments gave huge financial bonuses. I still spend a ton of money on my students and classroom, but now I am no longer limited by financial restraints. I have the money now to help people in ways I never imagined possible. If a kid needs something, I just get it.

Money isn’t my reward, the kid is. Smiles and thanks have more meaning than money, just as they always have for me. It is just nice to see the rest of the world join in this way of viewing things. I may have a billion dollars, but my true value is the trillions of smiles and thanks I have accumulated over the years.

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If Only

joannebarbarella's picture

The mega-rich and the power-hungry will never tolerate your vision. Good God, woman, it smells like communism!

Ethics are tricky with AI

JenniBee's picture

Ethics are definitely a tricky thing with AI. Loose ethics are even happening already with machine learning from unauthorized content. So far, AI is mostly for creation purposes, but I'm sure it will be extended to control aspects of society, well beyond Tesla and Google and their awful self-driving cars.

Hopefully, AI creators will stick with Isaac Asimov's three laws of robotics: humans can't be harmed, human instructions must be obeyed, and self-harm is prohibited.

But, then again I'll take Teek's vision over Asimov's any day.

You have so very eloquently

You have so very eloquently put into words what I have so often thought.

A lovely dream

Politicians have a way to make it a nightmare.

Unfortunately

Teek's picture

I sadly believe that you are probably right.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

AIs

Look at Skynet from the Terminator movies. That is something I wouldn't want to happen. And if someone is capable to hack the AIQM and corrupt its implemented ethical laws and algorithms then a serial killer might become the next multi-billionaire. And suddenly we could find ourselves in an anarchy.
The connection of the camera rich world suggests that the people are monitored 24/7 everywhere. Even if a hacker doesn't manipulate the AIQM but "only" accesses the data of such monitoring then that could lead to substantial abuse (of course the hacker would delete his / her activities from the system afterwards). This would be similar to what happened in "1984".

> And if someone is capable

> And if someone is capable to hack the AIQM and corrupt its implemented ethical laws and algorithms

You do not even need to be overt in changes, just add slight bias in needed direction... Worse - it will actually happen anyway, AIs tend to follow the biases of either their creators or the datasets.

Billion Dollars

The question with AI is can you program better ethics and a moral sense that is better than what most humans have.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.