Energy of Youth

Printer-friendly version
*-*-*-*- Teek's Mini-Story Collection -*-*-*-*

Waterfall.jpg

Energy of Youth

By Teek
© April 2022

He ran ahead, stopping for joy upon finding something fascinating. Little things were all it took: a spider web, a cool little rock, or just the excitement of being out in the woods. I couldn’t keep up with him, but that overwhelming enthusiasm could warm my heart from a distance. He wouldn’t get far before stopping and letting the rest of us catch up. I am certain his excitement and joy could have kept him going non-stop to the top without getting tuckered out. Unfortunately, one mile of switchback trails up the side of a cliff was too much for the rest of us. When we decided to turn around after about ¼ of a mile, you could see the disappointment on his face. He didn’t complain or express his feelings, but I could tell. Next time, I would have to make sure we made it to the top of the waterfall.

That bubbly enthusiasm was back as soon as the first spray from the waterfall hit him on the way back down. Oh, to be young again and get so much energy and enjoyment from the discovery of the world. Time has taken its toll on me. I can’t even remember having that much energy. Yes, mother nature invigorates me, but I can only dream of having that much. I’ve learned to take some of the excess energy and joy from the young. It has gotten me through some tough times. There are moments when I wish I still could experience life that way, but I can’t really say my current approach is bad. It is just different.

A slower pace and better understanding of things allow me a deeper appreciation of the beauty around me. Stopping to take in the view can sometimes be motivated more by my body than the view. However, once resting, the beauty is all-encompassing. Sometimes I even get to see an animal as I take in the scene around me. Age and youth. Impairment and Healthy. These things separate us, but we both find pleasure in a simple walk through the woods.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

An odd story

But I liked it, true too.

I recognize the falls

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

I recognize the falls in the picture. I know that trail well. I've never made the top of the falls using that trail either. My best effort only got me about half way up even with many rest stops I always turned back.

After I was married, I discovered the loop hike from Wahkeena falls to Multnomah falls. Wahkeena to Multnomah is about a five mile hike and by coming back down the Multnomah falls trail you can make it a loop hike totaling about seven miles. We would hit the trail head about nine in the morning, lunch (about one or two in the afternoon) at Multnomah creek and rest. Then continue on to the top of Multnomah. The trail down to the lodge is a bummer because it's paved and down hill all the way. Hard on the knees. It's only about a half a mile back to Wahkeena. (We always started there. The parking is much better there.) If we were so inclined, across the highway is a rather large park where we could fire up the son of habachi and bbq. dinner.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

Multnomah Falls Lodge

At the foot of the falls is Multnomah Falls Lodge. The last time we were there, we had lunch at the lodge. They had house-made huckleberry ice cream; it was memorable. And they had osprey nesting on poles, erected for the purpose, near the Columbia River.