Be Yourself

Printer-friendly version
*-*-*-*- Teek's Mini-Story Collection -*-*-*-*

girl in tutu

Be Yourself

By Teek
© March 2022

“Lisa, what do you think you’re doing?”

“Nothing Mom, just going out to play.”

“In that?”

Looking down at her pink t-shirt with a cartoon rainbow on the chest, her rainbow tutu, florescent orange leggings, and light up Disney Princess sneakers, “Yeah, what’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”

“Sweetie,” Maria closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath. “Are you sure that is what you want to wear? Your friends might feel a little strange playing with you because they won’t be wearing their tutus.”

“Oh,” Lisa thought for a minute before running back to her room. Returning a minute later she was carrying two more tutus. “No problem, Mom. I’ll bring some for them to wear.”

Maria chuckled, “No sweetie, leave those here. I don’t think Lucy and Jan will want to wear a tutu at the park.”

“Don’t know why, Tutus make every outfit better.”

Maria went over and hugged her daughter, “I know you definitely think so, but your friends don’t think the same way. Remember, we’ve talked about this Lisa. It is okay for you to like Disney Princesses, Tutus, and frilly things, but not all twelve-year-olds are as . . . as joyous about such things as you are. They grew out of those things a few years ago.”

“That was stupid of them,” Lisa very bluntly stated. “Why stop liking such wonderful things?”

Maria kissed Lisa’s forehead, “The kids in your Special Education class still like those things, but Lucy and Jan aren’t in Special Education. Maybe you should go change into something more big girl to play with them.”

“Don’t be silly Mom. I am me and they are them. If they don’t want to wear pretty clothes, that’s sad but okay. I can still be me. Now come on, we’re going to be late,” Lisa grabbed her mom’s hand and started dragging her out the front door.

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Why not?

Everybody's got something to learn in their own way.

Lisa is absoluty right.

Sadly that's not how our world works.

Sadly true

Teek's picture

Unfortunately, kids often give into peer pressure to give up things they like and enjoy. Some kids never change their image just to fit in. Children with disabilities are more often the ones that don't cave to that type of peer pressure. They may get upset and frustrated over the teasing and harassment from other kids over not conforming, but they are usually not willing to give up what they like just to make the other kids stop.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Good for her for standing up

Beoca's picture

Good for her for standing up to peer pressure. Her mother isn't a bad parent for bringing this up, though she may be underestimating Lucy and Jan.

I agree

Teek's picture

You are right, I think the Mom is underestimating Lucy and Jan. They are friends with Lisa. They may not choose to wear a tutu to the park, but I bet they would put one on if Lisa asked them to. However, just like they have to accept that Lisa likes to dress like a Preschooler, Lisa needs to accept that they don't dress that way anymore.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Mom reminds me of my husband

He likes to challenge my outfits too..... its always put some shorts or leggings on under your skirt or dress or we are only going to go visit family i dont need to get all dressed up. I am my own person with my own fashion sense. Yes I know im a man and don't try to hide it but im two-spirit and my feminine spirit is stronger than my masculine spirit, to deny her hurts me in ways that he will never truly understand. He is watching trans documentaries and reality shows trying to understand me and is starting to come around. On a much lighter note even at age 41 a tutu or petticoat can make most outfits more fun.

EllieJo Jayne

Loved Ones

Teek's picture

It is nice to have someone close to you that cares enough to comment but loves you enough to let you be you.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek