woman's fashions

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I was watching tv, and there is going to be a new series called "Pan-Am" based in the late 60s/early 70s and about a group of stewardesses. It occurred to me how much more FEMININE the fashions seemed to be then. Now, dresses and skirts are rare on women. In one way, that's a pity, because although I appreciate the freedoms women have now that they didn't have then, I wish we could have kept some of the pretty looks ...

woman's fashions

Ah! the time when the miniskirts and hose came on the scene as well as the 'HIPPY' fashion of colorful clothing. Me, I like to see women dress as feminine as possible.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

My Dad Remembers Flight Attendants

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg in the 1960's when he flew while in the Army. The airlines would require them to wear 3 inch heels as part of their uniform and they were often sent tumbling down the aisle when the plane hit a pocket of turbulence. I think they eventually realized that they were a real safety hazard and modified it to a shorter heel. I have seen a few wearing up to a two inch, but a lot of them wear flats while they work.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

What happened to stew's attire

I started flying back then, and I remember two things that pretty much killed the immaculately-garbed stewardesses. One was the realization that heels and pneumatic evacuation slides didn't play well together. The FAA, under pressure from safety groups and some members of Congress, finally issued a rule barring high heels, especially stilettos.

But what really did in the fancy-garbed outfits was, IMHO, the Braniff Strip. Although the uniforms look very dated now, when they were introduced the passengers went nuts for the mod look, and other airlines scrambled to compete.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScysMkhjvs4&NR=1

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

From what I've seen when going through international

flight zones in airports, there are some airlines from other countries whose uniforms very much reflect the 60s/70s ethic. Korean Air is one. Also certain airlines seem to deliberate choose the young and the beautiful for their stewardesses.

I rarely wear dresses myself as I can not wear most nice shoes long term. Flat feet hate heels or sandals with little support over time, ultimately leaving one almost hobbled.

Kim

Flight Attendants,

ALISON

'were also known as Air Hostesses or "Hosties' to us younger and impressionable ones.
Their uniforms were always tailored and designed by top designers and the girls were
all very beautiful and decidedly ultra feminine.When women were women,but times change
and we must change with them,I guess.

ALISON

Air Hostesses

jacquimac's picture

yes they were good looking and always smartly dressed, they were the Bimbos of the airways.

I remember flying back from the Falklands after my 2nd operational tour of duty.

It was a BA flight and about half an hour after take off all the military personel took of our boots and spread out amongst the seats.
The senior member came of the cabin crew told us that we had to keep the seats clear for passengers getting on at the next stop.

I asked the silly bitch which cloud would be stopping at as it was a direct flight to RAF Brize Norton and was a non stop flight.

That one was a real Bimbo

jackie

Haven't you been shopping lately girl?"

All I can say is that when I'm out shopping there seems to be nothing but dresses and skirts and frocks hanging off all the rails. The shops seem to be groaning with them.
The nicest recent development is the advent of leggins. Girls have got legs back and a nice shaply pair of pins under a short top must be one of the most attractive sights on the highstreet these days.
Furthermore if you go clubbing you will see that just about every girl is wearing a dress.
OK, I'll agree that for everyday wear, women have chosen to go with trousers but that's only for the street and work. get out there on clubbing night girl, then you'll see the frocks come out.

Happy clubbing.

XZXX

Crazy Bev, (the clubbing queen).

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg