Essentially Egg. Part 5 of 39

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 5

Shirley then came back on. “They’ll be at the Dude Ranch night club tonight if they can muster the energy after efforts of last night. I know we don’t usually have long clips on this show, but I pleaded with the producers to allow us to show the last part of the girls’ show. Have a look at this and I may see you tonight at the Dude.”

The screen went blank for a second or two and then opened up with us all standing on stage as the midnight hour chimed and then carried on with our show through to the end of Devil and the curtains closing.

As the studio announcer got started on the next story, we four sat there with our mouths open, our hot drinks now cold. It was Dad who broke the silence. “Eddie, I think that you’re going to be Edie for a lot longer than you thought.”

He got up, came over, and then hugged me. “I had a wonderful time last night, we both felt like we were teenagers again and it was a lot of fun, even more so knowing the two of you as we do. I got over my shock at the costumes because, as you played, they were so right for the situation, and you really didn’t show any more than a lot of other teenage girls these days.”

My mother had a tear in her eye as she also hugged us. She sat back. “What now, girls?”

“We don’t know yet, Mom,” Josie admitted. “We’re waiting for Donna to get back to us. She’s our manager, so to speak, as we’ve never needed anyone in that role before. I’m still stunned at the amount of time they gave us today, an amazing twenty-odd minutes of prime-time day TV. It’ll make waves, we know, but how high those waves reach is for us to find out. All I do know is that if it wasn’t for my dear sister, Edie, here, all of this would never have happened. I suppose we have to thank Henrietta and Reynard for bringing us together and bringing me into such a wonderful family.”

Mom put the kettle on again and, while we were sipping our hot coffee, Josie’s phone chirped again, and she looked at the text message.

“Change of plan, Donna wants us to meet up at the denim shop to pick out a new stage look at two thirty.”

It was a bit after one, so we finished our drinks and went back to the stable to get our bags, refresh our lipstick and make sure we had everything we needed for tonight in case we weren’t able to get back before the show.

On the drive into the city, I took hold of Josie’s hand, and we carried on in silence for a while until I said. “Well, sister, what about us now? I may have to be “Edie” for a while longer than I thought. I expected to be back in my old guy clothes today and I don’t know if I’m upset or happy to still be in a dress.”

She thought about it a bit. “We can let the prisoner out tonight and you can still be my Eddie. I think that if Donna gets her way, you’re going to be a girl in an all-girl group for some time to come -- so you’d better get used to it. I think that next week we’d better get you to the university administration and reregister you as Edweena Georgina and a transgender. You won’t have any problems proving that you’re capable of passing. That way it can all go through, and you can graduate as Edweena.”

After we parked near the denim shop, we met the others who were all bubbly. It took a while to say hello as everyone was hugged by everyone else and we must have looked a sight to other shoppers. Donna said that we needed to upgrade our stage outfit tonight as they had seen our denim jeans, skirts, and the two leather looks before. She had enough cash from last night to pay for a couple of outfits each as well as having some to split between us. She then said that the bank account for the Pixies had grown nicely with our regular gigs over the last three months.

In the shop she added. “Now, I think we need to do things in a co-ordinated fashion. I think that a denim dress with front button-through would allow us to be as chic or as sexy as we like, just by having it buttoned or not. The same thing can be said about a leather double-zip dress. This shop has noted that we’ve been seen on stage in their outfits before and the management has kindly offered us a good discount, as long as they can take a picture of us today to put in the window, that we’ve all autographed -- once they have a print.”

The sales manager stood by us, and then she and another lady led us through the store to a couple of racks where they had collected dresses along the lines of what Donna had explained. I thought it was a good move to make sure we continued to have a professional look. By four we had all tried out some different designs and colors and had made our choice for the next “Pixie Look.” The denim felt very soft, in a graduated color scheme that featured vivid red in a flame design at the hem and muted back through the pinks with black across the shoulders. The leather dress also came in black and red but this time in quarters, one side of the bodice dark red, the other black, and the skirt was the opposite way around. They would both look stunning on stage as well as in normal use.

Donna said that the Dude would now allow us use of a dedicated dressing room so we could change before we went on stage. We were all dressed nicely enough for a little dinner meeting beforehand that we had been invited to. She told us where to meet and we found ourselves in a nice restaurant, sitting at a table with Hal and Shirley from the TV station, along with some executives. I had to smile as there’s nothing like the idea that a rival station was about to scoop you to bring out the big guns. This could prove to be a very interesting meal.

I hardly knew what I was eating as the TV folk gushed over us with phrases like “stellar careers,” “international stardom,” and similar buzzwords designed to make us roll over and sign the contracts they were likely to have already made out in their briefcases. We allowed Donna to take the lead and they didn’t reckon with a girl who was training to be a specialist doctor and wise to the ways of the world.

They also didn’t expect to have two of the group who were nearly master’s in business administration as we picked the holes in what they were offering with ease and made hard-nosed comments on what control they had thought they could have over us.

We finally agreed to a couple of things, as long as they put up the money. We would allow them to bring cameramen along to tonight’s show as long as the Dude management agreed. We would go into their studio one evening to record a half hour interview with Shirley and we would talk to them again after we had talked to the rival station.

The verbal agreement was that they would, in the future, pay each of us fifty dollars a minute for any video of ours that they used on air and that we would do the interview for free. It was all dependent on other offers and Donna told them, “The outcome of any discussion about recording.”

That night we changed at the night club, the management being all over us and willing to go along with anything we asked. We set up our kit and changed into the flaming denim dresses. When we went out on stage, we were greeted with a standing ovation before we even played a note. My folks were there in the front, dressed, alarmingly, in good western outfits. I started to wonder at their lifestyle before I came along. I suppose that no child really fully knows their parents.

We did our show to the best of our abilities, seeing that we were all still pretty tired. It must have been good enough because everyone was dancing at times and the applause was constant when we finished each tune. A couple of times someone would shout out “Play some spooky stuff!” so we relented towards the end of our set and did a couple of the spooky takes on Pet’s songs and finished the night with the Devil Came Down To Georgia.

When we finished to a lot of whooping and hollering, I think the audience had enjoyed the entertainment. The cameramen were very good, moving around in front of us and sometimes coming up on stage -- but keeping low. Sometimes they filmed the crowd. We would have to work really hard to keep up this level of entertainment.

When we had changed back into our normal outfits and packed the van with our gear, the manager asked us if we could join him in a quiet room to discuss our future. This would be interesting. We were joined by Harry, from the dance hall, and two of the TV executives we had spoken to at dinner. The offer was that we should extend our three months here, at the Dude, playing every Saturday night until the end of the year. This was agreeable to us since our stint at the Chuck Wagon had finished.

The last things took my breath away. Harry, in conjunction with the Dude wanted us to star in a proposed Christmas Spectacular at his dance hall. He would organize other bands to support us, and it would be live on TV with advertising between the bands.

They had already decided that it would be called “A Very Pixie Christmas” and the money that they had clubbed together as our payment made us all gasp. They were either all crazy or else they could see dollar signs as they looked at us. The TV guy then said following that he wanted us to be the anchors of a New Year show which was still to be organized, and the details sorted out.

Donna told them that we needed to discuss it all, but the regular gig was a given. They said that contracts would be drawn up, but we needed to decide and sign soon so that they could put together some teasers to go out on TV.

I gathered that both Harry and the Dude management would be riding on the back of the shows, so it could turn out to be good for everyone. The girls all agreed to meet at the stable on Tuesday evening for a discussion. Instruments could be left at home.

We were in a daze when we left them, and I drove us home. Josie was quiet for a while and then she giggled. I asked what it was she had thought of.

“I’ve just visualised you in a Santa’s Little Helper costume. It’s usually a cute skirt with lots of petticoats and a little red hat with a bell on top.”

That vision made me laugh as well.

“If I could look good in the witch costume, why do you think I’ll have a problem as a Little Helper?”

“Easy, as a witch you were spooky. A Little Helper has to be totally girly and you’re not quite there --- yet. Maybe by Christmas you will be -- but it’s going to take a few more girl experiences.”

We got home and my parents came out of the house to give us a hug. Mom told us that we had been, once again, fantastic. I asked if we could come in and talk. Dad still wore his western gear, complete with gun-belt.

“I hope that’s not loaded, Dad”.

He snorted. “Of course, it is, love. No cowboy would leave the house without five bullets in the cylinder. Safety’s on, though.”

We sat down and we gave them the new information, as far as we knew.

Dad sighed. “You girls need a good agent. Leave that to me. I have a pal in that game.”

I told them that all the girls would be here for a meeting Tuesday evening. Mom insisted that we use our big lounge, and she would keep us supplied with food and drink. Later, in our bedroom, Josie carefully released my little prisoner.

“Hello, little one” she said as it appeared from the folds of my groin, “I hope you grow up quickly, there’s someone here that wants to meet you – in person.”

I asked her if she could remove my breasts because I was getting an itch where they were and couldn’t scratch the place. By the time I was back to my original shape my little friend had become a teenager and we cleaned our faces, creamed my chest, and went to bed to see if it could match my age, again. It was quite successful but took a long time, much to my frustration and Josie’s enjoyment.

Sunday, we sat and made a list, actually several lists side by side. We now had a show every Saturday until January so would need to keep getting new material or else moving things around so the audience wouldn’t start thinking they were listening to an album. The second column was the Christmas Show. The third was the New Year Show. The fourth, with a question mark, was recording. I added another column.

“What’s that one for?” Josie asked.

I wrote on the top “Exams.”

“Oh shit!” she exclaimed, “They’re all in December.”

We knew that Donna would be in the same boat, but she was a good student and I expected that she would be all right. I spent all that day as Eddie, and it felt good for a while. But when I looked at Josie getting ready to go out, I felt guilty that I stood there in slacks and a sweater that I had worn since I got up and wasn’t rushing around trying to perfect my look.
She saw me looking odd and asked what was wrong.

I told her that I wasn’t a happy “Eddie.” I missed the joy of dressing to look good.

She held me close. “My darling, I don’t think the other girls have any idea of what you’re giving up for them.”

We went into the city and saw a movie, cuddling and kissing in the back row.

Monday was a school day, and I took a lot of care in the morning. After doing the chicks and having breakfast I attacked the dressing as a problem to be overcome. I made sure the gaff that day was particularly snug and pulled the bra tighter to hold the breast forms without glue. I wore the sexiest underwear I could, stockings and a garter belt, and my red leather skirt with the jacket over a black blouse. Josie picked up on my need and helped me create a pretty dramatic look with the make-up and not just a normal day-time job.

I got a few looks that day and not just from the boys. During lunch-time Josie borrowed the car keys as she wanted to go and get some feminine supplies that I didn’t need, yet. My admirer, Charlie, saw his chance and came to sit alongside me.

When he said he had something to show me in the storeroom I followed him in, and we restarted what I had stopped all those weeks ago. I don’t know why I felt in the need to prove to myself that I was a girl but when his hands started wandering, I told him to stop. I would do something that I knew he wanted instead.

Twenty minutes later he opened the door to make sure no one was around and kissed me nicely before he went out. I took a few minutes to redo my lipstick, having left quite a ring around his penis.

I was really a girl inside and smiled when I got to the next class.

Josie came in. “Hey, girl, you look like the cat that got the cream”.

I laughed. “It looked creamy but tasted definitely salty.”

Her smile faded for a second but then she beamed. “Good girl, that’s one of the experiences you needed to know what a girl is. Maybe we can go out with him and his friend and get ourselves reamed.”

I wondered why she felt the need for another man. Was it because I was no longer man enough for her?

Tuesday evening arrived and with it came the rest of the Pixies. Once we were all sitting in the lounge with Mom fussing around with food and drink Donna said. “We need to do some planning. I’ve had a call from the studio, and they’re prepared to get us in on weekday evenings or Sundays to make an album. They will cover the costs for a percentage. I think that we could do one with our original songs, as Edie suggested last week. Does anyone have anything else to say?”

Janet put her hand up. “Yes. I’ve got a problem. As you know, my folks are strictly conservative and one of their friends showed them a recording they had made of the Halloween show. My father phoned me on Sunday, and he told me he was coming up next Saturday to take me out of this “devil’s circus.” He wants to take me home, to go to work in the mill. I don’t know what to do.”

We were all quiet. Mom, who was bringing in some cookies at the time, broke the silence.

“That’s easy, dear. You just disappear. I did much the same thing when my folks didn’t accept my true love as a likely husband. We still have the room that Edie used in the house before she moved out to the stable. You move here and they’ll have a problem finding you. They can’t take you off the stage at the Dude because there’ll be the bouncers to get past.”

Donna agreed. “That’s a fantastic way out. You have the van. It won’t take much to move you from that apartment. The band funds can help with any costs, and you can pay it back out of future earnings.”

Janet looked relieved through her tears and gave everyone a hug, telling us that we were the best.

Donna grinned. “That one was unexpected. Is there anyone else?”

Pet stood and paced for a few seconds, and then smiled. “Yes, I got a letter last week offering me a job as second violin in an orchestra in Boston.”

We all started to congratulate her, but she put her hand up. “They’re too late. I’ve written back to tell them that I’m a permanent member of an up-and-coming band. I gave them some references to YouTube and Facebook sites and told them just to type in Pixies Detroit.”

We all then gave her a hug. Donna looked at Emily, who shrugged, “Nothing happening here.”

It had become Josie and my turn in the spotlight.

“Well, you know that the two of us are doing Business Administration and we considered the next few months as a sales problem, one of supply and demand. We need to sell our songs to the audience. Because of the fickle market we do have to make continual changes until we become a known brand. Only then can we play the same stuff week after week and get away with it.”

They were all nodding, so I went on. “Over the next few months, we have a number of distinct product lines we have to work on. One is the Christmas Show – we need to have some input into the other bands, and we’ll also have to learn some standards as well as putting together variations of songs we know, similar to the spooky ones we did Friday.”

I went on. “The other line is the New Year show which has similar problems with slightly different inputs needed. We’re going to have to split our stable sessions to clearly get work in on both problems otherwise we’ll end up with a week to put a whole show together.”

“The third part is the album which we’ve already spoken about. I suggest that Pet comes back to us on Thursday with a list of a dozen songs which we can record. Ones that feel as if they have a thread running through them to make the album sound like we thought about it. I had a random thought and wondered if it could be called A Way with The Pixies.”

After the girls left, Janet stayed behind to look at the room. She hugged me and then Mom, telling us that we were lifesavers. We worked out what needed to be done and she said she would make her move tomorrow and skip her course for a day.

Mom told her to cancel her phone plan and go to another provider to get a new number as she could be tracked if she kept the old one live. Maybe I’m really the progeny of an affair between two CIA agents, now living under cover.

Janet unloaded the gear from the van into the studio. That Thursday, she moved in, and we had another person in the house. Mom was happy to have yet another daughter to look after.

Dad had pulled out all the stops in cleaning my old bedroom. Mainly by putting the collection of things he had stored there somewhere else. The van stayed parked next to the stable. We could drop Janet off on the way to Wayne State and pick her up on the way home.

We didn’t touch the instruments on Thursday, either. Donna had a lot more information to impart. We had an appointment at the studio on Monday and Tuesday of each week and would just need our own instruments, as in-house amps would be provided.

Pet gave us all a copy of her list of likely songs.

Donna then said that she had also been contacted by the costume shop, thanking her for the nice advertising of our witch outfits on TV. She said that she had told them about a Christmas show and we would get outfits very cheaply as long as we could get the shop name in the credits.

Our interview with Shirley was now set down for next Wednesday evening but the format had been changed slightly. This time we would be guests on “Detroit Diary” a live show that concentrated on all the local happenings. The other thing was that one of the good salons had been in touch and had asked who was doing our make-up.

Being told that it was two of the group who were nearly at the end of their course they told Donna that they wanted to come on board as our go-to salon. Also, they would consider taking on Emily and Janet as employees, even before they had finished the course. The whole room squealed at that one, even me. Things were moving along at a faster pace. Donna was instructed to get back to the salon and arrange a session before we went on TV next week.

Josie looked at me. “Edie, my love, the salon experience is one more hurdle to jump, as you move to womanhood.”

Pet then asked when we would be having a session on the instruments. We agreed to assemble on Saturday morning to polish up the act before the show at the Dude that night.

All in all, it had been a very busy and interesting week.

Marianne Gregory © 2022

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I’m not happy with where this seems headed……

D. Eden's picture

First with Eddie giving oral sex to Charlie, which seems to have happened very quickly, and then with Josie’s reaction. Like Eddie, it bothers me that she is already jumping to the two of them going out with two guys as couples, and then having sex. Eddie is right to be worried that Josie doesn’t see him as enough of a man for her any more - as is evidenced by her referring to him as her “sis”.

That does not bode well for their relationship.

But then again, Eddie has already cheated on her with Charlie, so what happens is as much on him as on her.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sad

I'm sad with the direction. The trope where the girl has to prove her 'girlhood' by sexual acts with Men is so overrated in my opinion. As mentioned, "I wondered why she felt the need for another man. Was it because I was no longer man enough for her?"... you say that after you just sucked a dude off? So you cheated on the literal LOVE of your life and then question her need to want to be reamed by another guy herself... what is even happening here. I'm lost on the plot.

Edit: Just want to point out, obviously it's the authors story and their characters to do with what they want. And if this is the story they want to tell go hard. I just have zero insight as to how the characters arrived at their destination.

Wowsers

I am getting used to the incredible egg on a regular schedule. Thank you Marianne. I must say that 34 more snippets is a formidable goal.

Ron

Que Sera Sera

SuziAuchentiber's picture

All of the excitement of being in your correct gender and the success of your band can turn a gurl's head a little so I can forgive Edie her tonsil tickle. Maybe it is just a step along her journey to "completion" and I am sure her relationship with Josie is strong enough that they can accept the attention of others while still retaining their own unique bond.
Only another 35 chapters? Lets hope for a sequel or two !!
Hugs and Kudos !

Suzi

Call me old fashioned if you will……

D. Eden's picture

Or maybe I’m just too monogamous for most people, but if you truly love someone you give yourself completely to them - and only them.

I have a lot of trouble with people who cheat on the supposed love of their life - and the whole concept of an open relationship is bullshit. That’s what people call it when they can’t make a commitment.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Story Directions

Are what makes a story different. Normally, I don't add to the comments after my stories, but I have started to write with the 'real' world in mind. If you're wondering about the minds of the characters, we have Josie ready to sleep with Egg to get a roof over her head; you have Egg happy to stay with a girl who obviously only considered him a wallet; and then there's Egg himself, a loner with the force of will learning to play several instruments for his own enjoyment. That he took on the female characteristic, fully, is the sign of a driven person, one who just wants to be accepted.
There's a lot more to come, and no-one is all angel.

I find it interesting how

I find it interesting how completely differently people interpret the situations. I don't know if it's because of my autism but I get completely different vibes from the characters than what you feel they are doing at this point. I have to ask my wife to explain some interactions to me frequently so this could be a case of that.

A Teenager

Think of Edie as a young teenager. She hasn't had time to develop character and is floundering under the strange relationship she has with Josie. Of course, I have the advantage of having read quite a bit more of this story than you have.

Give the story time to develop.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Whhhoooaaa, there, Nelly

Jamie Lee's picture

The events in this chapter went from 0-100 in the blink of an eye.

The Pixies have a standing gig every Saturday until January 1st. They're wanted to cut an album, plus do Christmas, plus do New Year. On top of all this, they have school. The squirrel cage is rapidly spinning and the squirrels haven't had a good chance to get running and warmed up before they go past sprinting. It all is exciting because it's new and sounds successful, but it's frought with quagmires covered in dollar signs.

Why did Edie risk bodily harm from Charles had Charles discovered the truth and violently objected? Charles could be the type to have been humiliated, embarrassed, and only cussed Edie out. He could have felt that and done that, along with beating Edie so badly she required hospitalization and weeks to recover. And what was she trying to prove? That as undercover Eddie, Edie could and enjoy doing so? Edie has yet to learn, and experience, the hatred some harbor against "fake" girls. Hate so strong that TG girls have died as a result of the treatment they received.

Daddy is coming to save his daughter from the den of sin? Does he plan on cloistering her the duration of her life? Does he live in a bubble, devoid of reality or reasoning? He does seem to care that his daughter enjoys playing in the group or has a chance to become successful at what she's doing. All he cares about is how it makes HIM look if HIS daughter is seen in skimpy costumes and swing her wild ways around a stage. Children get to an age that mandates parents to step back, cut the rope, and let their children guide their lives. They're going to make good, not so good, and bad decisions. It's part of life, and a teaching aid. Daddy needs to take his horses and return to the barn. Otherwise he risks losing his daughter forever.

Others have feelings too.