Necromancer Unmanned: Chapter 42

Printer-friendly version


Necromancer Unmanned
Chapter 42
Hate and Rage

Keir

Keir stood behind his three students, Blau, the lame boy, Katalia, the angry girl, and Kazmer, the boy who used both necromancy and fire magic. They didn't know it, but this was going to be their last lesson with him. They each had a cage with a live rat inside, some pests that had been caught near the warehouse of food. There were a dozen rats for each of them in a large cage off to the side.

“See the flow of magic in the rat, the green threads of life that let you know it's alive. We want to cut it. Most other magic has to do it by brute force, destroying the physical body to release the living energy. Necromancy is the opposite of life, we can damage or extinguish it with a touch. If you need to be secretive in your dealings, you can put a grain of corruption inside of it that will slowly grow like a cancer. The person will be dead in a few hours or days depending on their health. But we are in a war, we don't have time to be slow or gentle. Weave your magic into a blade like I showed you. When you have it, slice the rat in half.”

They stumbled through the process. He'd only shown them how to make a knife that morning, and it wasn't second nature yet. Watching the threads clumsily form blades that were invisible to those without magic sight, he nodded in satisfaction. They were actually a little faster than he'd expected they'd be.

Blau brought his blade down first, a perfect blow to the rat's neck. It didn't even squeak as it died. Kazmer was next, clumsily striking the rat in the back. A thin trail of smoke rose from the shrieking rat before it died. The boy still hadn't quite learned how to separate his fire magic from necromancy, but it had been necromantic magic that killed the animal.

Katalia brought her own weave down. It was more like a rod than a knife, crushing and snapping the life energy rather than cutting it. That was fine for killing something small or weak. But a healthy opponent would merely be injured, not killed.

Ghosts replaced the dead rats with live ones. The students let the blades go and began weaving new ones. They would keep practising until every rat was dead.

Going to Katalia's side, Keir asked, “You hate the demons right?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

Her voice was hoarse, not with tears, but anger. “They killed my parents, my fiance, my entire village.”

“You're using your anger as a cudgel. It's controlling your magic, making it blunt and brutal. You need to hone it, focus on one specific thing. Turn your anger into hate and rage. Your magic is the only weapon you have to release it. Who do you miss the most?”

“My Ma... My Leandro.”

“He was your fiance?”

“Yes.”

“He died to protect you.”

“Yes. We spent our last night together, then I ran and he stayed to slow the demons.” A few tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Focus on him. Think of the life you could have had together. The children you should have had with him. Growing old together. Happy and content. Remember how it was stolen from you.”

Blackness rose from within the girl, grabbing the neutral magic that surrounded them, turning it as black as the threads coming from her heart. It started to weave itself into long cudgel of utter blackness.

He pointed at the rat. “Picture that as a demon. You need a blade to kill it properly. Only a blade can make the demons pay for taking Leandro from you.”

The cudgel turned into a spear. It flew through the air, piercing the rat, slashing it's life force in half. It was dead before it even realized it.

Patting Katalia on the shoulder, he gave her a small smile. “Very good. Now do it again.”

***


Captain Cilus Dobeliet

Captain Cilus Dobeliet took a seat across from the Council representative Mage Aleksandar, doing his best to keep his feelings from showing. The mage had done an admirable job of stringing things along for the last month, promising nothing, yet making it sound like he was making concessions. Still, Cilius would have left three weeks ago if he hadn't had the promise from General Ajani and Mage Keira.

Mage Aleksandar poured two cups of wine for them. It wasn't a good wine, but it was alcohol and in these times any alcohol was acceptable.

“Are you certain you must leave tomorrow, Captain?” the mage asked. “You've done a remarkable job of scouting out the region for us.”

“Unfortunately we must. The weather promises to be good for the next week. If we want to make it back to Cristele Fleche, now is the best time. Thank you for the supplies, particularly the wine, it's been too long since we've had any,” he said. Then he allowed himself a small frown. “You're quite sure the Council won't agree to an overland march to the city?”

“I'm very sorry. The Council is quite certain the Demons will launch an overwhelming assault on this region. We'd be marching our men into a meat grinder that would rival the worst days of the Thunder Campaign. Even if we wanted to take the risk, we don't have those types of numbers anymore. But as we've said, with the attention focused here, we can launch a naval offensive from the Merirosvo Confederacy. From a beachhead on the Winter Pearl coast, it's only two hundred miles to Cristele Fleche. We'll have a force capable of lifting the siege temporarily , and a supply train right behind it. We may not be able to keep it open, but we'll make sure you have enough food and weapons to hold out for at least another year.”

It would take months to prepare such a fleet, if they even could. And a landing on the coast wouldn't be easy. Expecting an army to march from the coast to the city, without near constant reinforcement was hoping for a miracle. Still he couldn't show his true feelings. “And the airship plans. Those haven't changed any minds?”

“It will take time, but a factory is being set up to start producing them. In a year we'll have a small fleet ready to go on the offensive. We're also using the plans to purchase some of the new weapons from our allies on other continents. A year from now, with our new weapons, and time to prepare a new offensive army, we'll have the forces ready to relieve your city.”

The mage spoke with such sincerity and eagerness, Captain Dobeliet wondered if the man actually believed what he was saying. The Council had gotten what they needed from his city, at best they'd give a token effort to relieve Cristele Fleche. He should have demanded something more, but General Ajani had made handing over the plans for The Thorn part of his demand to get Mage Keira.

“That's good to hear. But please make sure the Council understands we need some relief this year. We can't hold out one more winter, without support,” he said.

“I've emphasized that in all my reports. And when we get back to the coast, I'll personally tell my superiors about the situation. Don't worry, we'll do everything we possibly can,” Mage Aleksandar said, still sounding completely honest.

Taking a sip of his wine, the Captain smiled in thanks. He hoped it was as believable as the mage sounded.

***
Keir

“I really wish I was going with you, sir,” Jaris said.

“I need you here to help teach the students,” Keir said. “The three I taught know the basic spells, and should be able to teach the rest. But no one has your experience. You can tell them where they're making mistakes, correct them, and help them improve. No one else on the continent can do the same.”

The ghost helped him with his cloak. “Sir, after all the work you've done here, are you sure you want to abandon it? This new city is completely unknown to you.”

“Jaris, I know you're called my sober second thought, but there is no real choice. I need to get out from under the Council's thumb. They may be trustworthy, but I can't risk my freedom or my life in the hopes that people who are clearly unhappy I'm alive, won't do something stupid.”

He opened the window, giving his room one last look. The maids had been ordered out for the afternoon, to give him time to study one of the new ghosts. The less they knew about his plans, the safer they would be.

Weaving a spell that curved the light around him, but still allowed him to see, he created a ghostly steed. Turning to his friend one last time, he smiled, even though the ghost wouldn't see it. “Good-bye Jaris. I expect to see you in a few months, we still have plenty of work ahead of us.”

Bowing, Jaris gave him a small smile. “Of course, sir. I won't disappoint you. Stay safe.”

Climbing out the window, Keir mounted his steed and flew off into the sky. Clothes and important items had all been quietly moved to the airship over the last week, they wanted no one to know what was happening until the last possible minute. Racing over the treetops, it seemed like the plan was going to work.

***


Mirek

Mirek tried to keep warm. The day was bitterly cold, and he almost wished he was inside the underground shelter with the rest of his squad, where the stove kept it above freezing. But orders demanded that at least one person be out watching for signs of trouble at all times. Someone had to be outside for the next thirty minutes, and he wanted to be that person.

The airship was taking off for the last time. He'd seen it land and take off several times already, but it always filled him with amazement. It was one of the few things that managed to lift him from his depression. Knowing it was going for good, filled him with a sense of hopelessness. The last bit of wonder in his life was going away. Now only death waited for him.

As he watched the General and some others talk to the captain, the air shimmered and a familiar figure appeared out of nowhere. His heart ached at the sight of the woman he had once loved. What was the Necromancer doing? He wished he was closer, it would be the perfect time to take a shot.

Then the Necromancer started climbing the ladder. What was going on? Was the monster going away? This couldn't be happening. How was he to put Toshka to rest?

Tossing off his gloves, he brought his rifle up to his shoulder. The distance was bad, but he was a good shot. There was almost no time to aim, silently praying to the Mother and the Father, he pulled the trigger.

***


Keir

Landing just beside the airship, Keir dismounted and removed the spell. General Ajani, Mage Von, his bodyguard Lieutenant Floria wearing a regular military uniform, and Captain Dobeliet were discussing some last minute things as The Thorn prepared to take off.

“What are you doing here?” he demanded, looking at Von.

“The Council needs a representative in Crystele Fleche. I'm currently the second highest ranking Council mage here, it seemed appropriate that I take the position,” Von said.

“The Council isn't part of this.”

General Ajani raised his hand, silencing both of them. “Mage Von is going at my suggestion. He has experience that will help our allies, and he gives this mission the necessary legitimacy. If you want me to march on the city come spring, I need as much support as I can get.”

“Very well,” Keir said, almost spitting the words out. He'd thought he was going to be free of the geas, but with Von there, he would be in the same situation he was now.

Nodding in satisfaction, the General allowed himself a small smile. “Now, there was an unfortunate avalanche on the pass. It will take several hours to clear the way, and the farewell party is on the wrong side of it. There is no point in waiting any longer now that you're here.”

“If you'll get onboard, we can be in the air in five minutes,” Captain Dobeliet said.

Grabbing the ladder, Keir began climbing. As he was reaching up to grab the hand of a skinny soldier, he felt a hammer blow on his back. A moment later there was a crack of thunder. He felt himself grow cold, his hand slipped from the ladder. There was shouting. Then everything went black.

___
Necromancer Unmanned will be updated every Tuesday. My other story Doom Valley Prep School will be updated every Monday.

If you would like to support my work, get a sneak peek at future chapters for all of these stories, look at background info, see snippets of potential stories, and have a chance to choose what I write next, you can support me on my Patreon page.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

yikes

not good!

DogSig.png

Wouldn't it be funny if the

Domoviye's picture

Wouldn't it be funny if the next chapter just had "THE END" in it?

The end

And so Mage Kiera died. Eventually the demons overran the whole world, and humanity became extinct. The end.

One way of ending the story, and it wouldn't even leave any loose ends! Although that would be somehow a little unsatisfying.... :)

A person on another site said

Domoviye's picture

A person on another site said I could do the ultimate troll and just not update ever again.
This is actually a 'good' spot to end it.
Or I could turn to the three students who are now expected to replace Keir and they desperately try to hold the line.

Reminds me of a scene . . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

In Bring Up the Bodies, Cromwell explains to someone who is about to be executed for a crime he didn’t commit (having an affair with the King’s wife) that the King needs someone to blame, and while the accused was naturally innocent of that crime, he had committed plenty of others for which he had escaped accountability.

Keir isn’t responsible for taking Mirek’s wife . . . but he was responsible for plenty other things. Karma’s a bitch. Lucky for him, Von’s right there!

Emma