Gaby Book 25 ~ Only Five Minutes ~ Chapter *24*

Printer-friendly version
Book 25 full cover.jpg
Gaby

Book 25
Only Five Minutes

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2019 Madeline Bell

After all the excitement of the last few weeks culminating in the trip to Austria, surely Gaby can get back to some sort of 'normal'?

Well it wouldn't be Gaby if it was that simple would it?

 


Soße

*Chapter 24*
Harburg Revisited

 
Its been a while since we last properly overnighted in a camper – parked outside of the house doesn't count, so it was a bit weird getting changed then bedding down in what is usually the living space. Odder still when the olds got back a while later, Mum clearly having 'socialised' a little heavily since me and Mand left the flat. By the time the adults settled down it was turned midnight – so much for an early night.
 

Despite the late bedding down, the rents were up and making noise not much after seven the following morning. I'm pretty sure that Mand, like me, was feigning sleep as they sorted themselves out to go shower at Jules flat. Yeah I know we've got a shower in the camper but given the choice would you prefer to use a proper bathroom or an upright coffin?

"Come over when you're ready you two and lock the van,” Dad instructed before closing the door.

I bet it was Manda giggling when Mum was complaining about her knickers being back to front that gave us away.
 
I let out a long sigh, "I thought they were never going.”
"So how long do we give them?” Mand queried as she emerged from under her duvet.
"Walk over, make small talk, two showers – forty five?” I suggested.
"I don't know how people can use one of these for a holiday, you can hear everything.”
"You think this is bad, when I was little we had a VW Camper, an old thing with a lift up roof, now that was really living close!”
"I do like some privacy,” Mand opined.
"Never thought about it, I guess as little kids you don't,” I admitted, "We had some great trips though.”
"I'll take your word for that.”
"I suppose we ought to get up.”
"I thought we'd got like half an hour or something?”
"Until we go over, Dad won't be pleased if our beds are still out when we come back.”
"I guess,” Mand allowed.

Decision made I crawled out of my own duvet nest and headed for the onboard facilities.

Mum was still hair drying when we got to the flat forty minutes later, Dad was nursing a cup of coffee and my sister appeared to be cooking something.

"Morning guys, coffee in the pot if Dad has left any, scrambled egg on toast okay?”
"Er sure.”
"Fine thanks,” Mand added.

Since when does my sister volunteer to make breakfast? Not that I'm complaining.
 

"You sure you won't come?” Mum asked for the umpteenth time, I'm sure Marianne would be pleased to see you both.”
"I'm sure Mum, you go and have fun playing in the castle.”
"It won't be much fun just the two of you here for New Year.”
"There's a big party in the Stadtmitte, we won't be alone,” Boris advised.
"Well remember not to drink too much daughter.”
"I won't,” Jules agreed, "Now go, Dad's getting jittery.”

Mum gave my wayward sister a hug and climbed into the camper where Mand had already taken refuge.

"Take care Hun,” Dad gave her a hug and Bo a slap on the shoulder, "Take care of her Boris.”
"I will sir,” Bo replied.
"I'll see you in a couple of weeks then Sis?”
"Yeah, we'll be there and,” she dropped her voice to a whisper, "Try to keep out of trouble, the Rents are stressed enough with me.”
"I'll try,” I told her then added, "So can I tell Soph and the girls?”
"I guess so, it won't stay secret for long anyhow, come here.” she pulled me into a hug, "I miss you Sis.”
"Me too.”
"Take care Gab,” Boris mentioned with his own awkward half hug.
 

Of course, from Heidelberg we could have got onto the autobahn network for most of the remaining distance to Harburg but Dad had his head set on following the Neckar down to Stuttgart before picking up the road across to our destination. If you know your German geography you'll know that the Neckar rises not far from the Donau, on the eastern flank of the Schwarzwald, flowing north through Stuttgart before twiddling about down to Heidelburg and shortly after joining the Rhein. Yep, twiddling about, its a biggish river but unlike say the Mosel, the riverside roads aren't wide main roads but instead are fairly quiet.

Which is just as well, a few times we had to make some interesting turns, the Hymer is not best suited to these roads. Eventually the river turned south, the gorge we'd been following, opened out somewhat and as we got closer to Stuttgart, the roads improved and we picked up more traffic. We gave up the river chase at Neckarsulm, only after missing a turn and ending up at the gates of the Audi factory.

Having spent nearly two hours getting this far we picked up the Six eastbound, stopping eventually at the Kochertalbrücke service area just past the Schwäbisch Hall turn off.

"Toilet, toilet!” I announced as Dad pulled up.
"We'll catch up,” Mum suggested.

Well I don't mind telling you, it was a fast pigeon walk across to the facilities, the stairs down to the lavs were almost too much, I paid the fee and hurried inside.

"Thats better,” I told anyone listening a few minutes later as we convened in the concourse.
"You could've used the one in the camper,” Dad pointed out.
"I erm.”
"Coffee?” Mum suggested.
"That is what we stopped for,” Dad supplied.
 
"What are they looking at?” I asked Mand pointing with her chin at the group of lads we'd just passed, we were claiming a table, the Olds having both gone to fetch our beverages.
"Probably your bum.”
"Why? I've not got something stuck on it have I?”
"Don't think so,” she grinned back.
"So,” the pfennig finally dropped, "Perverts!”
"Well you are looking pretty cute today.”

The C word!

"Not you too.”
"And those ski pants don't leave much to the imagination,” she steamrollered on.
"What!” I panicked.

I put the ski pants on to keep warm – not that they've been doing that great a job, not to show off my, er behind. I felt the colour rising in my cheeks, the face not the other and tried to hide under my bobble hat. My 'friend' just chuckled in my face, bitch.
 
"You all right Gab,” Mum queried, "I got you both Streusal, the Pflaumkuchen looked a bit dry.”
"So why're you acting like a three year old?” Dad enquired putting down the tray of commestibles.
"She's got some admirers,” Mand put in.
"There's a lot of girls would kill for your figure,” Mum opined.
"Me for one,” Manda put in.
"You've both got very nice figures,” Mum continued, "You are bound to get some admiring looks.”
"But Mum...”
"But nothing.”
"Hers not mine,” Mand added.
"What?” Mum paused before shaking her head, "Take it as a compliment, don't get paranoid over it.”
"I bet you girls compare lads bodies,” Dad chipped in.
"Yeah,” I allowed, "But thats different.”
"Not from where I'm sat.”
"Your Dad's right kiddo, make the most of it, you'll start to spread before you know it.”
"Mu-um!” I complained.
"Its when they stop looking you should worry.”
"Isn't that a bit sexist?” Mand suggested.
Mum shrugged, "Maybe it is, but i'd rather they were commenting about my 'fit' bod rather than my looks or how big I am, back me up here Dave.”
"Don't drag me into this,” he told her even as he sat back from the table.
 

We were soon back on the road, joining the southbound Seven towards our turn off at Aalen. Once we left the autobahn the Hymer complained a bit as we climbed to the rim of the Ries basin before the drop through Bopfingen and across the crater towards the tower at Nordlingen. We didn't need to go into the town so we took the Ring to pick up the Twenty Five towards Donauwörth.

The climb out of the Ries on this side isn't too dramatic and we were soon over the top and dropping into the Wörnitztal. You can't see the Schloss from this direction until you get to the village and then not very well, Dad took the turn and we started the climb up to the Taxis' pile. Last year we weren't in this behemoth of course so instead of turning into the Schloss itself we drove a few metres further on to the car park.

We were barely stopped before the interminable whine of a quad bike rent the air and moments later, said machine slewed to a halt in front of the Hymer.

"Dave, Jenny, girls, welcome!” the rider greeted as he dismounted.
"Ludwig, good of you to have us again,” Dad proferred as they exchanged a handshake.
"We've been looking forward to it, glad you could make it, you've had a busy Wehnachts season yes?”
"Very,” Mum supplied, "Nice to see you Ludi.”

They exchanged one oif those half hug things that adults do.

"Girls,” the Duke went on, "My daughter has been like a small child all morning, come lets get you inside, we'll fetch your things after Kaffee.”
 
We must have been a funny sight, the visitors wrapped in ski jackets and the Duke of Thun und Taxis strolling along looking like farmer Giles just finished with the pigs! Well it was horse rather than pig that assailed the nostrils but you get the idea. The adults were soon having a lively conversation, Mand and I tagged along behind, momentarily forgotten.

Its not a long walk from the car park, a hundred metres or so to the castle, another fifty into the inner courtyard and the family apartments. I know the von Strechau's live in a Schloss but this place is in a different league, a 'proper' castle with battlements and everything and a few tourists. We traipsed across the inner court and into the surprisingly cosy family block where I was engulfed by Sophia.

"Gabee!”
"Er hi Soph,” I managed as she tried to squeeze the life out of me.
 

So much has happened since we first met when I was 'hoisted' onto her at The Munich wedding, its not quite the film title, we've not had a funeral but we have had three weddings. It is kind of weird that we know each other, let alone get along like we do, lets face it, she's part of the 'landed gentry', daughter of a Duke and I'm, well the Bond's are not. Not only that but she's into horses, frilly stuff, girls, lives two hundred kilometres away and she's a year older than me, not exactly a recipe for friendship with a bike mad, boy liking midget – our common ground is being blonde!

 
"Ludi,” Marianne, Sophs mum, the Duchess, addressed her spouse, "Bags?”

Somehow we've already been in Harburg over an hour, drunk Glühwein, eaten Apfelküchl and met the grandchild, a cute bundle going by Heinrich Siegmund or just Heini. The family seem to have got over the almost scandal, shotgun wedding although its clear Sara's hubby hasn't reached the exalted status of 'family' one hundred percent as yet.

Of course, their presence means the sleeping arrangements are a little different to last year, hence coming in the Hymer.

"Jenny, i've put you and Dave in the same room from last year,” Marianne mentioned once Dad and the Duke had set off.
"Thanks,” Mum replied.
"Sorry you girls are having to 'camp'.”
"That's okay,” I offered in turn.
"Gab could share with me again?” Sophia suggested.
"That wouldn't be very fair on Amanda would it dear?” her mother observed.
"I'd be alright,” Mand stated.

Look, I love Soph to bits but after last year I don't really want to share her bed, however well meaning the offer.

"What about if Mand bunks with Sophia and I use the Hymer, i've camped loads,” I countered, "That's if you don't mind Soph?”

I guess it sort of put her between a rock and a hard place.

"No, no, thats fine.”

The look on her face said otherwise but having made the initial offer she could hardly now renege on it.
 

"What was all that about?” Mand asked as we got ourselves ready for dinner in the Hymer, well all our stuff is stowed in here.
"All what?”
"You know, the bed sharing, not that I mind not sleeping out here.”
"I just thought you'd prefer to be in the house.”
"Hmm.”
"She's got an en suite, the shower a bit iffy but its better than in here.”
"I just know there's more to this.”
"There's not, honest, would I lie to you?”
"In a flash.”

That's me told.

Dinner tonight isn't too fancy, thats tomorrow but you don't dine with the Duke and Duchess wearing ski pants and a roll neck jumper. Tonight then is 'family casual' which in this context is a posh frock just without all the glitz. Given I'll be wearing Kostum tomorrow night I pretty much grabbed the first frock I came to in the wardrobe when I was packing, its black, fairly tailored and I didn't wear it last year
 
Knock,knock!

"You girls ready?” Dad enquired from beyond the Hymers door.
"Just about, you can come in,” I suggested.
Dad climbed in bringing in a draught of decidedly cool Bavarian air.
"Geez!” I allowed.
"Think we need coats Gab,” my co dresser suggested tugging at her hemline.
"You'll certainly need something later Gab,” Dad noted.
“'kay.”

I slipped my best heels on, ta da, i've grown ten centimetres, I'm almost on eye level with Manda's nose! Guess I'm doomed to spend my life looking up to people physically if not metaphorically. A quick dash of perfume, grab my jacket, I'm done.

Outside a fairly new Golf was idling, turns out it belongs to Jannis, Sara's hubby, Mand and I squeezed into the back next to the baby seat, Dad, after locking up the camper taking the front passenger spot. Our chauffeur didn't spare the horses, it felt like the journey finished before it started, the poor car bouncing on the suspension when we pulled up next to the 'house'.

"Thanks Jan,” Dad offered.
"No trouble.”
"Yeah thanks Jannis,” I added.

They say marriage changes people, well its clear its changed Jannis, oh he's still far too tall and built like a pipe cleaner but he has lost most of the acne. By the way he and Sara converse I think that away from the Duke, he's actually quite confident, its just Ludwig who turns him into a jibbering idiot!
 

"See you in the morning,” I told the departing backs of Soph and Mand as they headed up the stairs.
"Nite Gab,” Mand called back down.

Oh well, I guess it was inevitable, Sophia has had a mog on with me all evening, our conversation has been minimal to say the least despite being sat opposite at the table.

"Lets get you to your bed chamber,” the Duke suggested coming out into the hallway.
"Er sure,” I agreed zipping up my jacket.

There had been some discourse about how I was getting back to my abode, Dad, well Mum too having 'enjoyed' the evening were both out, Jan had already gone with his wife upstairs which left the Duke and Duchess.

"I can go on my own,” I suggested.
"Its late and you are a young woman, you are not walking around the countryside on your own,” Dad had insisted.
"I'll take her,” Ludi suggested.

And so it was decided.

I poked my head back into the parlour, "Nite everyone,”
"Nite kiddo.”
"Goodnight Gabrielle.”
"Sleep well Gab – and lock the door,” Dad added.
"I will, tschussie.”

I closed the door then followed the Duke outside.
 
"Where are you going?”
"The camper?”
"You aren't walking there, come.”

Ot oh. He was heading towards the parked cars but veered off before we reached them only to stop at the quad bike.

"We going on that?”
"Sure,” he advised climbing on.
"Er I think i'd best walk.”
"Don't be so silly, climb on behind.”
"My um dress.”
"Of course,” he slapped his forehead before dismounting, "Here.”

I wasn't expecting him to lift me up and plonk me on the seat, side saddle.

"Eep!”

He climbed back on in front of me and hit the start button, "Hold on!”

I didn't need a second encouragement, I gripped the Duke as if my life depended on it, maybe it did? We jounced over the cobbles and out of the inner courtyard, at least we weren't being shaken about as much, instead the speed increased. Down the approach, screech, onto the lane and out through the gate – it felt like we were doing a hundred miles per hour.

From start to finish was probably about two minutes, two minutes i'd rather not repeat any time soon.
 
© Maddy Bell 07.07.2019

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

History repeats?

Will Sophia try something with Mand?

History repeats?

And would Mand mind?

Too fast?

Jamie Lee's picture

Mand may discover why Gaby didn't want to bunk with Soph before the night is over. If she does, she'll ask Gaby why she didn't say something and maybe learn about Gaby's experience with Soph.

Gaby afraid of going fast, even if it's on a motorized vehicle? What speeds has she sometimes reached while dicending some mountain during a race? Maybe because she isn't steering is the reason going fast this time isn't pleasant.

Others have feelings too.