Gaby Book 25 ~ Only Five Minutes ~ Chapter *17*

Printer-friendly version
Book 25 full cover.jpg
Gaby

Book 25
Only Five Minutes

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2019 Madeline Bell

After all the excitement of the last few weeks culminating in the trip to Austria, surely Gaby can get back to some sort of 'normal'?

Well it wouldn't be Gaby if it was that simple would it?

 


 

*Chapter 17*
Flighty

 
​ Beyond the tiny perspex window the view was grey, grey clouds, grey sky and the little bit of ground visible through the clouds was, yep, grey. Gaby sighed and returned her attention to inside the cabin.

​ “I'd kill for some Currywurst," Mand opined.
​ “Eh?"
​ “Have you been listening? I said I’d kill for a Currywurst, I’m sick of the sight of Turkey and leftovers."
​ “Oh right, maybe they'll have some at the airport," I suggested.

​ Maybe that's a good thing, that all she's bothered about is a spiced-up sausage, last year Dad was rescuing her from the airport after she threw a hissy with her mum.

​ “Urgh, and decent coffee, gran uses that powder stuff, it’s like drinking dishwater," she droned on.
​ “Right," I allowed.
​ “You're not listening, are you?" she observed.
​ “Soz, stuff on my mind, something about coffee?"
​ “Doesn't matter, so what's troubling your grey matter?"

​ What indeed? A lot happened in the last week, some good, some not so good. On the plus side, we are going down to spend New Year with the Taxis clan again, well it’s a case of killing two birds as we'll be stopping off to see my sister too.​ On the one hand her news is, whilst unexpected, great. On the other, well let's just say that I’m expecting more than just New Year fireworks. Then of course there's the whole leaving England again - I know what it says on my passport but England really is home.

​ “I hate saying goodbye to Gran," I sighed.
​ “She's coming over at Easter though?" Mand suggested.
​ “That's months away, what about you, don't you miss everyone in Croydon?"
​ “Sometimes," de Vreen admitted “But it's not like I have loads of friends there."
​ “I guess."
​ “So, what're we doing tomorrow?"
​ “Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?"
​ “Dur, that's what I’m asking you dummy,"
​ “Laundry? I've run out of clean knickers."
​ “TMI Bond, after the laundry."
​ “Dunno, might go up to see Bern and Drea."
​ “Oh," by her tone, that wasn't what she wanted to hear.
​ “Can find out what the rest of the gang are doing?" I counter proposed, you got any ideas?"
​ “Thought maybe we could go to Bonn; I’ve got some money from the GP's waiting to be spent."
​ I perked up a bit, “Why didn't you just say?"
​ “Well I didn't know if you'd made plans."
​ “If it gets me off the Rent's radar, I’m all for it, I think Bern's parents are here until the New Year so it'll be packed up the farm anyway. Could ask the girls to come to Bonn?"
​ “Do you mind if they don't?"
​ I shrugged, “Guess not, there was some mumbling of going to Koln after New Year."
​ “That'd be good."

​There was a bong and the 'fasten seatbelts' signs came on followed by the spiel in advance of our landing. Any coherent conversation was soon rendered impossible as everyone prepared themselves to end this part of their journey. With a slight thump we returned to terra firma and for the next thirty minutes did the queue and shuffle to luggage reclaim.

​This time Mum headed straight through to fetch the car, much easier than us all toting bags half way across the airport. Much to Mand's annoyance, there was no currywurst stand. So we settled for coffee while we waited for Mum to get back with the Saab.
​  
​ “So, what are you pair up to tomorrow?" Mum asked, having relinquished driving duties outside of arrivals.
​ “Mand wants to go to Bonn."
​ “Anything special?"
​ “Just looking 'round the shops," Mand replied.
​ “Would've thought you'd both had your fill of shopping in England."
​ “Never got a chance," Manda told us, “Well a quick look around Brighton when we went to see Uncle Pat."
​ “Gran wanted to do the Christmas Market so we didn't even get in the Arndale," I added.
​ “What a sorry pair you are, no shopping for seven days."
​ “Mu-um!"

​ I know she's on the wind up but still.

​ “How are you going up?"
​ “Train?" I suggested, it’s not like there's any alternative.
​ “Fancy a lift? I'm meeting Maria for coffee; we could make it Bonn as easy as anywhere?"
​ “Your call Mand."
​ “Do you mind if we don't?"

​ Now I know Mum's driving can be a bit, well, wild but to actually turn down a hassle-free journey in favour of two crowded trains...

​ “Your call, offer's there if you change your mind."

​ “What was that all about?" I hissed when Mum's attention returned to matters not involving us.
​ “Nothing."

​ Like I believe that.
​  
​ What with the hour difference, the traffic past Dussel' and then Koln, it was knocking on nine before we made the final approach to Bond Acres.
​ I let out a big sigh as we pulled onto the driveway.

​ “Glad to be home?" Dad suggested.
​ “Glad to stop travelling."
​ “Well I’ll second that."
​ “I'll go put the kettle on," I volunteered.

​ Well it's one way out of lumping cases.

​ “That won't get you out of doing your washing," Mum stated.
​ “But Mum," I whined.
​ “It'll only take a couple of minutes to put the washer on, you can sort it between you while the tea's mashing."

​ Okay, there's logic to getting it out of the way tonight, it will save doing it before we go out tomorrow. Well there are still a few bits that need hand washing, best hose and lingerie, but they won't take long.

​ “Yes Mum," I sighed before letting myself out of the car.
​  
​ “Don't you ever fold stuff?" Mand mentioned as I up ended my case to tip out the contents.
​ “When it's clean."
​ “It would go in your bag better folded."
​ “What's the point, it’s all gonna get screwed up in the machine anyhow."
​ “If you say so."
​ “I know so," I asserted, digging through the pile for the delicates.
​ “For such a clothes horse you can be a right slob Gaby Bond."
​ I shrugged, “Just being practical."
 
© Maddy Bell 26.06.2019

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds like

something's up with Mand, but I could be wrong. Gaby's sounding like her usual self, hehe.

More than just shopping

Jamie Lee's picture

Mand has more on her mind that just shopping in Bonn. She hasn't seen her girlfriend in a few days, which is why she turned down Jenny's offer of a ride.

Why does Gaby put off doing something then realize she forgot to do it altogether. Would she have done her laundry the next day, or put if off for another day?

Others have feelings too.