Gaby Book 25 ~ Only Five Minutes ~ Chapter *21*

Printer-friendly version
Book 25 full cover.jpg
Gaby

Book 25
Only Five Minutes

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2019 Madeline Bell

After all the excitement of the last few weeks culminating in the trip to Austria, surely Gaby can get back to some sort of 'normal'?

Well it wouldn't be Gaby if it was that simple would it?

 


Soße

*Chapter 21*
Home Time

 
​ Beep, beep - beep, beep.

​ My hand flailed out from under the duvet and slapped the alarm off - too early! I turned onto my back and lay staring at the gloom through the skylight. The smell of coffee was the thing that eventually got my head into gear and body out of bed.

​ It's gonna be a good day, right? We see Jules and Boris this afternoon, stop overnight in the Neckartal then tomorrow it's on to the Taxis' pile at Harburg. This morning it's mostly about packing but I reckon I can squeeze in a quick visit to see Connie. With a bit more enthusiasm I got out of my jammies and hit the shower.

​ “Your look chipper this morning," Mum observed.
​ I shrugged, “Looking forward to the trip, there coffee in there?"
​ “You might squeeze one, I’ve just put another pot on."
​ "'Kay."
​ “Sort out the stuff you're taking, it can go straight into the Hymer, save finding somewhere for a load of cases."
​ “Yes. Mum," I allowed.
​ “What are you taking to wear for New Year’s Eve? Not that thing you had on last night I hope."

​ Twenty questions!

​ “It's a favourite."
​ “Hmmm!"
​ “Maybe my best dirndl? Didn't the Taxis wear Kostum last year?"
​ “I guess that'd do, and don't forget you'll need something warm to wear in bed, I know the camper has a gas fire but we don't want to have it on all night."
​ “Yes Mum."

​ Well if I don't need to actually pack, that makes things a lot easier. I poured a cup of the fresh coffee and sat myself down for the eating bit of breakfast. It's a cold, meat and cheese affair today - you wouldn't want it every day but it's filling and apparently has less processed sugar and fat so it's good for you right?

​ “So," I started again, “Can I go around to the bakery for a bit, once I’ve packed of course."
​ “That would be quite useful actually kiddo, you can pick up some Brotchen and see if Therese has a gateau we can take down, I’m sure your sister won't have much in the flat."
​ “Sure."
​  
​ I was almost done with my 'packing' when my Handy stated trilling.

​ “Bond."
​ “Well duh, I did ring your number sis."

​ I love you too Jules.

​ “Heya, what's up?"
​ “You still at home?"
​ “Just packing, we'll be setting off after lunch."
​ “Great, look do you think you could bring some stuff down for me?"
​ “I guess. You know Mum's gonna be on your case when we get there?"
​ “Yeah, don't I know it," she sighed down the line.
​ “If you want to score some brownie points make sure there's some food in the cupboard, you know eggs, milk and stuff, at least it'll look like you're serious about stuff."
​ “I hear what you're saying Gab, I’ll send Boris out shopping while I tidy the place up a bit."
​ “So, what do you want bringing?"
​  
​ Gathering Juliette's stuff delayed my departure to Thesing's a bit - why she wanted some of it I’ve no idea but hey, her choice. Anyhow, I grabbed a string shopping bag, pulled my ankle boots on, zipped my ski jacket up and set off for Connie's place.

​ “Hello stranger," Tomas, Con's dad greeted me as I slipped into his establishment.
​ “Hi Mr. T."
​ “She's upstairs, you know the way."
​ “Before I do Mum's sent me with a list."
​ “Let's have a look, I’ll sort it out, you can pick it up when you leave, I take it it's a short visit?"
​ “Yeah," I agreed passing him Mum's shopping list, “We're off to see my sister later then we're spending Neu Jahre at some friends in Bavaria."
​ “Very nice," he scanned the sheet of paper, “I think we can manage all this, Kirsch Torte okay?"
​ “Fine, as long as there's plenty of cream!"
​  
​ “Gabeee!" Con squealed pulling me into a bear hug.
​ “Ungh!"
​ She released me enough to reply, “Hi Con."
​ “How was England?"
​ I shrugged, “Same old."
​ “I bet; you say the same every time you go away."
​ “Well it's not like I have some great adventure or anything, what about here? Anything exciting happen?"
​ She wrinkled her nose, “Not really, coffee? cake?"
​ “Think I’ve got time."
​ “I thought you were back now?" she queried as she sorted out the coffee.
​ “Dad decided we could go to Sophia's for New Year."
​ “Thought he was against it?"
​ “Well we're going, we'll stop to see Jules on the way down."
​ “How is she?"
​ The baby news isn't public yet, best not get into that now, “Okay I think."
​ “It must be hard being so far from home,” she mused.
​ “She's got Boris with her," I pointed out.
​ “Even so, you okay with strawberry tart?"
​ “Sure."
​ “Go on through, I’ll be right behind."

​ The Thesing's apartment has hardly changed since my first time here not long after we moved here. Same colour on the walls, same furniture, same carpets, I’ve been such a regular visitor I have my own coffee mug and a designated spot at the table and on the sofa. Where the Peters place felt slightly odd the other day, this place is like an extension of home.

​ I lost my jacket and boots on the way through, by the time my host joined me in the lounge I was well settled in 'my' corner of the sofa.

​ “So, come on then, spill.”
​  
​ “Bum, is that the time?”
​ “Unless it’s stopped again,” Con offered by way of confirmation.

​ Where does the time go? It only feels like about ten minutes since I got here but it’s close on two hours!

​ “I need to get back or Dad'll be sending out search parties.”
​ “When are you back? You are coming to Koln next week?”
​ “Think Dad's hoping to set off New Year's Day – guess it depends how much gets drunk.”
​ “You'll be back for Koln then.”
​ “Oh yeah!” I enthused.
​  
​ I was nearly out of the door when Therese called me back.

​ “You forgotten something Gaby?"

​ I did the mental inventory, coat, scarf, Handy, Handtasche, seems like everything.

​ “Don't think so."
​ “Torte?"

​ Oh sh....

​ “Oops," I allowed returning to the counter.
​ “I don't know how your Mutter manages," Mrs. T stated even as she lifted my shopping bag up onto the counter.
​ “Practice?" I suggested with a grin.
​ “Get on with you, have a good New Year, see you next week eh?"
​ “Yep, Frohes Neu Jahre."
​  
​ “You're late," Mum suggested when I plonked the baked goods on the table.
​ “It's only five past."
​ “Hmm."
​ “What's for lunch?"
​ “Sandwiches, the others are in the lounge. You got everything ready to go?"
​ “Yup, everything on board except me."
​ “I hope so, come on, you can bring the tea pot through."
​ “Yes Mum," I agreed with a hint of resignation.
​  
​ Of course, Mum's idea of sandwiches for lunch was more summer picnic than the stuffed bread rolls you get at Thesing's. And of course, our fare was in traditional two slices of bread format! By the fact I was carrying the tea and the others hadn't even taken a bite, I wasn't actually that tardy.

​ What was in the sandwiches I hear you ask, well nothing too exotic, cheese and onion, tinned Spam and Tuna mayo - well we've been away so the usual leftovers are absent from the fridge. On the other hand, there were sausage rolls, defrosted from the freezer and a full array of pickles and spreads. Well I suppose it's only got to get us to Heidelberg which isn't that far.

 
© Maddy Bell 02.07.2019

up
137 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Road Trip!

The stop at Jules' place ought to be interesting.

Armored panties needed?

Jamie Lee's picture

Jules already knew what was coming from Jenny, and it isn't going to be pretty. But Jenny needs to realize that Jules is her own person and makes her own decisions. It is Jules' life and not Jenny's, another thing Jenny needs to remember before going full mother bear on Jules.

Others have feelings too.