Taylor, Too! Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version


shutterstock_1320938336.jpeg

This is the fifth chapter of the sequel to the novel Taylor, which was published as a Kindle book. All the proceeds from Taylor and Taylor, Too! are for BigCloset. I hope you take the time to read this and tell me what you think. As always, I appreciate constructive criticism. I think it only makes the story better. I am writing this one chapter at a time, so your input is important in making this a better book.

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Molly looked carefully at her daughter. “Okay, let me get this straight. You can see a fairy godmother even when you’re awake?”

Taylor nodded. “Yep. I can ask her questions and she gives me answers.”

“What do you ask her?”

“The last time I asked her why Andrew couldn’t see her when she was floating right there in front of us. Oh, yeah. Did I tell you that she floats off the ground. And I can see through her, you know, transparent. So am I crazy?”

“I don’t know, honey. You’ve always had a pretty vibrant imagination. But I believe that you create those things to help you cross a bridge mentally. I think your imagination helped you cope with things.”

“Okay. I can see that. But why would I see her? Do I really need her?”

Molly smiled. “Okay, daughter. I think that’s perfectly normal. You had a favorite teddy bear that you carried around with you when you were a toddler. And you talked to him.”

“Right, Besty! Is he still around somewhere?”

“He is. I never wanted to throw him away. So I washed him several times, then soaked Besty in disinfectant for twenty-four hours. Afterward, I took him to Mrs. Jenn to have him stitched up and repaired. He’s up in a box in the attic. Do you want him back?”

Taylor thought about it. “Yes. I think it would be special to have him back again with me. But, since he’s a boy bear, can you suspend the ‘no boys upstairs’ rule for him?”

Molly laughed. “I suppose so. But the two of you shouldn’t be fooling around. I hope you can be trusted with a stuffed bear and don’t have your fairy godmother making him real!”

“Oh, wouldn’t that be so cool to have a little stuffed animal come alive and talk and have a thinking brain? Kinda like Paddington, right?”

Molly shook her head. “Well, if you are going to be okay by yourself, how about if I drop you off and run into the hospital? I need to make rounds and maybe see a few patients in the office. But that would mean you’d have to help with dinner.”

“Sure. What are we having?”

“I left out some chicken and vegetables. You can make a sheet pan bake if you want. You’ve helped me with that before.”

“Sure. What veggies?”

“Onions, carrots, black radishes, potatoes, and turnips.”

“Sounds good. Chicken thighs?”

“Right.”

“Okay. No problem. What time do you want dinner?”

Molly thought for a minute. “Okay. How’s seven?”

“Sure. Do we have enough to feed Andrew, too?”

“No problem. Invite him over at five o’clock and he can be your assistant. You can impress him with your culinary skills. That way, he’ll know that his future wife will be a good little homemaker.”

“Hah! His good little wife is going to be a successful doctor like her mom. But who knows? Maybe modeling will pay my way through college and medical school, too.”

“Well, your dad and I have worked hard to afford you and your sister’s college tuition. Bu if you want to pay your own way, it just means more money for the two of us.”

“Right, mom. Like you don’t have everything you need and want already. I don’t think you have a selfish bone in your body!”

“Well, it would be fun to take everyone on a winter vacation to the tropics next year. Or a cruise somewhere like the Greek Isles.”

“Well, no one would argue with that.”

“Good. So, I’ll drop you off, and you’ll have the afternoon free. I’ll text your dad that you’re alone and making dinner for us. I will also tell him we have a plus one with Andrew.”

“Thank you, mom, for everything.”

Taylor was busy cutting up vegetables when the phone rang. It was a number she didn’t recognize, so she let it go through to voice mail.”

She listened to the message. “Hey, Taylor. Marg here. I’ve already lined up two catalog jobs for you a week apart. For a rookie, catalog shoots pay fifty dollars an hour, so you’ll collect four hundred per day for your four days.

“And to ease your worries, I’ll be there the whole time. And in addition, you’ll get to keep the outfits. It’s their Winter-Spring catalog, and you’ll be posing with several other models. I’m just representing you, so I’ll be your chaperone, too. Two days next week and the following week. Let me know now if you’re up for it.”

After Taylor listened to the messages, she texted Marg. She typed, ‘Sure.’

Taking a deep breath, Taylor sat down and stared out the kitchen window. She had a good view of the barn and watched the birds flitting in and out of the plants growing in her mom’s flower garden.

She found herself speaking aloud to the half-sheet tray she’d covered with tin foil, then olive oil. ‘Am I going too fast? Am I racing into this new world of coming out like I’m crazy?’ She found herself gasping for air.

When the oven read 350º, she slid the chicken in and let it cook for twenty minutes. While she was waiting, she peeled and cut up the vegetables. She let them soak in cold water while she waited. When the chicken was partially done and giving up it’s juices, she added the vegetables and stirred everything around on the tray.

While she was standing there, her phone buzzed a message. It was Marg. Her text simply said, ‘Tuesday and Wednesday. I’ll pick you up at eight am and have you home for dinner!’

Taylor looked at her reflection in the hall mirror. She felt the tears start running down her face. She wasn’t sure if it was happiness or fear that was causing her to cry. Whatever it was, the emotions were overwhelming her. She wanted to curl up under the covers and sob but knew that dinner would surely burn if she walked away.

She’d clenched her fists and her nails were making creases in her flesh. In a way, the pain made her feel better.

She set the alarm on her phone to remind her to check the oven. Then she called Andrew.

Taylor was feeling pretty needy when he answered the phone. “Hey, you have time to talk with me?”

Andrew could hear the quiver in her voice and immediately wanted to reassure her. “Taylor, I always have time for you. Remember, I’m in love with you.”

Hearing those words, she smiled. “You’ve got a seven o’clock dinner invite for tonight if you want. I’m making chicken and vegetables. Please say yes. I really want to see you. Oh, yeah, brown rice, too.”

“Yes, yes, yes. I already have an appetite for you, but chicken is one of my favorites.”

Taylor sighed. She loved listening to his voice but knew she was in a self-destructive mood. She wanted to scream. “Hey, Andrew. Can I cry on your shoulder for a minute?”

“Always. What’s wrong?”

“Well, I’m scared. All this girl stuff is overwhelming. It was under control when it was just my imagination or when we were together. But, now it’s becoming so public. I spent an hour today buying a one-piece suit and looking at myself wrapped in spandex.”

She took a deep breath.

“And I committed myself to modeling for Marg like my mom did. I just heard from her, and I’m doing a catalog shoot next week for J.C.Penny. And I’m going to a pool party at this girl’s house from school on Thursday and still hoping to go with you to the beach on Saturday. I feel like I’ve jumped on a high speed bullet train.”

“Well, babe. The beach thing’s all set. We’re renting a driver and a fifteen-passenger van to take us down to Rehoboth. I’ve never been there, but my cousin says it’s great.”

“Oh, I’ve been there a million times. Lots to eat and stuff to do. Not real private where I could take a walk with you and make out. But it will work. And, oh yeah. My mom said you can start coming over with your books, and we can read together. I just need to behave.”

“Behave? We behave. What’s your new swimsuit like?”

“One is kinda blue, and the other is ocean colors, greens, and blues. And I don’t think behaving is what we did on Saturday night!”

“Are you upset about that?”

“No. I loved it! It’s just that I couldn’t do that with my parents around.”

“Sure. I don’t want them to hate me ‘cause I got you pregnant. But, I’d do the honorable thing. You must have looked pretty in your suit.”

“Well, not really. More like a skinny twelve-year-old. I’ve decided not to wear any pads when I go to my friend’s house on Thursday. They’ve known me since kindergarten and I’ve very trans to them. For Saturday, I’ll pad up for you. I did take your advice and went to YouTube to learn how to tuck. I even sent for this tucking kit that I hope comes for Thursday.”

Andrew sighed. “In my mind, you’re a pretty girl. That’s all. I mean, when we talk, you’re my girlfriend.”

“You’ve never thought of me as a mental case?”

“Nope.”

“God. Well, I think you must be the only one. I think I’m crazy. I mean, I just told my mom about my fairy godmother, who I’d been talking to for years. And the fact that I just went ahead and dressed up like a girl since I was five cause I wanted to. I never knew I was trans.”

“I know that. But that doesn’t make you crazy.”

“Seriously? And now, I’ve living full-time and going to go to a pool to hang around with my girlfriends, and what if they ask about my genitals? And even if I go with you to the beach, your cousin will see that you’re dating a very skinny girl who is built like a boy. I love you too much to embarrass you!”

“Taylor, you are being silly. Fifteen-year-old girls are skinny and underdeveloped. That’s pretty much the way it is. And my cousin and his friends are really not checking you out when they’ve got your sister and her friends all boob-a-licious in their bikinis. They’re going to be getting hard-ons over their dates. And there’s no rule that we have to hang out with them. We can find a spot all to ourselves.”

Taylor took a deep breath. “Oh, my God, Andrew. Just talking to you makes me feel better. I was definitely hyperventilating when I was taking off my clothes and trying on bathing suits.”

“How’d you look in your first swimsuit? Did it make you feel good?”

“Actually, if you think of me as twelve, I looked very cute. Speaking of being little, my mom’s going to find my old teddy bear that I dragged around as a toddler. He’s making a reappearance to go on my pillow.”

“Should I worry that you’re going to think about him more than me? What’s his name?”

“Besty, ‘cause he was my best friend. I slept with him and everything.”

“I’m definitely jealous. He gets to sleep with you and see you in your nightgown.”

She could hear Andrew chuckle. Taylor started to pout. “Don’t you laugh at me, you meanie. I’m going to get my fairy godmother to make Besty come alive, and then he’ll eat your face!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I apologize for laughing. Please don’t have your fairy godmother put a curse on me.”

“We did talk about you.”

“Who?”

“Me and my fairy godmother. I asked her why I could see and talk to you and how come you couldn’t.”

“When was this?”

“Back when I took you on a tour of the property. When we were out in the field, we talked, and I asked her why you couldn’t see and hear her. I think that’s when I realized it was all in my head. Of course, everything around me could be in my head, and I’m in a coma somewhere on life support.”

Andrew laughed. “Hearing that coma stuff, I have to admit you are sounding a little bit crazy.”

“Andrew, that’s the nicest, most honest thing anyone has ever said to me. And talking to you is so great. You’ve totally taken my mind off my own self-doubts. I’m going to wear an oversized tee shirt over my suit.”

“See. I’m glad you’re feeling better. Now, what time is dinner?”

“Dinner’s at seven, but you can come help and keep me company before that. How about five?”

“Perfect. I’m going to hang up so I can shower and make myself perfect for my wonderful girlfriend, who I love, admire, adore, and want to be with me forever.”

After they hung up, Taylor knew she had time to get a quick shower, too. She couldn’t wait to wash off after trying on clothes. All she could think about was the danger of getting cooties.

She dashed upstairs, dropped her clothes, and hopped into the shower. As the temperature grew hotter, she washed her hair with cream rinse so it wouldn’t dry out, then exfoliated her face gently and then vigorously all over her body. Once she was done cleaning herself carefully with a body wash, she hopped out and patted herself dry.

She was happy to know that her hair would fall into place after she brushed it out. Then, she picked out casual clothes with Andrew in mind. A quick bit of mascara and some lip stain, and she was headed back downstairs.

She could smell the chicken and vegetables roasting as she searched for the brown rice.

When the dish was cooked, she took it out and let it sit. She’d drain the fat and make a light gravy when she reheated it. She and Emma had been schooled in the kitchen by both her mom and dad. They’d always shared household duties equally.

Taylor was surprised when she found out a lot of her friend’s dads didn’t help out at home. Her dad ran the household while her mom was in medical school, and ever since then, they’d happily shared all the household duties, including raising her and her sister. As she thought about it, she smiled. She was so lucky to have two wonderful, caring parents who readily accepted her trans life without ever questioning her. They made her feel loved and safe.

Her dad arrived at the same time that Andrew’s Uber pulled up. She watched from the window as the two men in her life came in together. She was so proud that her dad welcomed her boyfriend so readily. And Andrew seemed like he was enjoying her dad, too.

She met them in the living room. “Hey, guys. What’s up?”

Her dad picked her up and swung her around, and gave her a hug. He whispered in her ear. “I really like your boyfriend, honey. You’ve got good taste.”

Andrew had brought flowers. He smiled as he handed her a beautiful arrangement. “Since you’re making me dinner tonight, I brought flowers for the chef.”

Taylor was blushing as she kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you. They're beautiful. Let me find a vase and put them in water.” She walked off seriously, wondering if she really was in a coma and dreaming this whole thing.

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Taylor seems to have the life

Julia Miller's picture

That most teen girls dream about. She has a new well-paying modelling gig, she has a great boyfriend, her dad likes him too, and both parents accept her as a girl and her older sister supports her in all of this too. And, she has a fairy godmother, lol.

Yeah, but…

I like fairy tales. But, I promise to make some terrible things happen along the way. But, no one dies in the making of my movie

Terrible Things

Bumps in the road make suspension of disbelief possible. 100% slick and smooth is suspicious, to say the least.

G/R

Confused

Does that mean you want more pain? Geez, the girl is only fifteen. I think it’s her parents job to protect her. And sure, it’s far from real life.

But, I will try to bring rain and darkness into this tale, though I’m not big on reading about suffering puppies and children. I’ll leave that up to Charles Dickens and the authors that twist and turn your stomach muscles.

Some of my other stories deal with the harsh realities, but my protagonists are older and weathered by life. My Wildcats tales deal with terrible stuff, but everyone is over eighteen.

Sigh. I will try. If that’s what you want.

No Torture Please

Just enough "Murphy" to keep things from being unbelievable. Please let things progress well, albeit not perfectly.

G/R

okay

I hear you!

Taylor

Seems to have it made, I'm wondering when the other shoe will drop. And the bad things start happening.

sure

I think the pool party will have some sour moments for Taylor. But I'm still thinking on it, not writing it yet.