The Black Sword. chapter- 15

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 15
Lowest dungeon, Central tower, Imrryr

Morgan looked down at the seven naked and bloody former Gray Wolf knights with pure contempt. As much as she wanted to slit their throats, she knew that she couldn’t. Princess Cymorila had laid claim to them as spoils of war. As such these seven humans were bound for the slave market. Once they were fully broken and every, last ounce of information had been extracted from them.

“Master Yar is there any more that can be gleaned from these whores?”

“None your Majesty. They broke once the bore worms had been applied.” The master torturer answered with a bow.

“Then turn them over to the slave masters.” Morgan ordered then turned to face the four elves that were hanging from chains. “What of these? Have they surrendered to their fate yet or are they still holding out?”

“They too have broken Majesty. Sadly, they held no new information.” Yar answered.

“Then feed them to the rock eels. They should be rewarded for handling the rest of the elves that dared to enter our territory.” Morgan told him as she turned to leave the dungeon. “Make sure they can swim as you drop them in the water.”

“Your Majesty?” Yar asked in confusion.

“This way the eels can enjoy their hunt.” Morgan told him with a smile as she looked into the fear filled eyes of the nearest elf. “You should never have followed your false queen’s orders elf. You might have lived longer.”

“Your kind should have stayed dead and buried demon. Our Queens shall feast on the bones of you and your dead.” One of the elves snarled then spat in Morgan’s face.

“You know something Master Yar. You can leave this one bound in chains as you drop her ass in the water.” Morgan snarled as she wiped the spit from her face. “Make sure to slather her down with pig fat.”

“Why would I do that Majesty?” Yar asked in confusion.

“That way the eels will have something tasty as they ripe the flesh from her bones.” Morgan chuckled as she walked away.

As Morgan exited the dungeon, she overheard Yar chuckling. “You really should have accepted your fate elf. Angering our Queen wasn’t the brightest idea. She is already known for her rather un-Melnibonéan ways of dealing with problems.”

“If he only knew how un-Melnibonéan I really am.” Morgan chuckled as she climbed the stairs towards the ground level. As she stepped into the daylight of the ground floor Morgan was stopped by Lee and Lisa. She could tell by the looks on their faces that something wrong. “What’s happened?”

“Our Rangers have spotted the four Aos Sídhe Queens gathering on the Clearing of Challenges, Majesty.” Lisa told her bluntly.

“Shit. Not good. Any idea of why they would be gathering now?” Morgan asked her.

“I might have an idea. Before I found you Majesty. During my travels with the Goddess Titania, she told me a great deal about the Aos Sídhe Queens. During times of war, they select a Grand Queen. To that end the four current Queens gather in one place and duel for the honor of leading their people.” Lisa explained.

“Then I gest that it’s time for a little party crashing.” Morgan snarled. “How far away is this Clearing of Challenges?”

“Two days by horse your Majesty.” Lee told her then grinned. “But only two hours by Dragon. Shall I arrange for a flight Majesty?”

“Gather eighteen of your finest Dragon Knights and saddle my own dragon, Lee.” Morgan ordered him then looked over to Lisa. “Lisa how fast can your Rangers travel?”

“Not fast enough to out pace a dragon in flight Majesty. Even in relay the message took a full day to reach us.” Lisa explained.

“How did your Rangers discover the gathering of Queens?” Morgan asked.

“When my Rangers captured those elves trying to sneak into Imrryr. I took the precaution of setting up a relay of Rangers to watch over the Clearing, Majesty. When the first Aos Sídhe Queen arrived the Rangers, I had watching over the clearing sent their fastest runner. I figured that they would be gathering for a war council soon.” Lisa explained with a blush. “If I overstepped my authority.”

“Forget about it, Lisa. You were doing your duty. Which is to gather intelligence on our enemies. That includes their movements outside of their cities. What can you tell me about this Clearing?” Morgan asked her.

“It is not a naturally occurring clearing. The snitch of ancient and foul magics weighs heavily on the ground. The very ground is scared with great gouges from uncontrolled magics. More than half of the clearing is bare ground. The rest is nothing more than wheat grass.” Lisa told Morgan with a shiver.

“What else about the clearing unsettled you, Lisa?” Morgan asked kindly. “I can tell that there was something else. You went there yourself. Why?”

“I wanted to see if the clearing matched an ancient North American Native legend. It did in many ways.” Lisa shivered again as she thought about the legend. “The only thing that laid heavier in the air than the stench of magic was the stench of blood. That clearing is the site of more than a few human sacrifices.”

“Human or other races?” Morgan asked sharply.

“I could smell the blood of more than one race Majesty. Though I could not tell how many races.” Lisa told her honestly. “If I didn’t know better. I would swear they were trying to raise our dragons for their slumber for some reason.”

“To get over the mountains of mist.” Morgan answered bluntly.

“Why in the world would that want to go south? Their original Grand Queen banished humans south of the mountains.” Lisa told them.

“Slaves. That is why they would go south.” Morgan snarled. Then turned towards Lee. “Gather all of my military commanders Sir Lee.”

“Are we going to war Majesty?” Lee asked her.

“It’ll all be decided once I face the four Queens of the Aos Sídhe.” Morgan snarled as for the first time she gasped Stormbringer summoning her Dragon Knight armor from Avalon. As her armor flowed around her Lee and Lisa stepped back in both fear and awe. Lee had seen her summon her armor once before, but this was the first time for Lisa. “They want to kick the dragon in her ass. Then they shall face her teeth.”

“More than just her teeth Majesty.” Lee chuckled as he turned and headed off to carry out his Queen’s orders. “They have claws and fiery breath as well.”

“Death from above. Takes on a whole new meaning when it comes to dragons.” Morgan chuckled as Lisa giggled. “Come Lady Lisa. We still have work to carry out.”

“As you command Majesty. I’ll dispatch my fastest Rangers. The question is to where? Frosthorn or Angelward?” Lisa asked her.

“Half to Frosthorn and half to Angelward, Lady Lisa. Have them scout the sea routes for our golden barges, and routes through the woods. I want every route between here and the two Aos Sídhe cities mapped out. I’m talking about every goat, horse, cart, wagon, and wild game trail there is. I don’t care what it is. If a person can use it to travel between here and those two cities. I want it mapped out for our use.” Morgan ordered her friend.

“It shall be done my Queen. Those Fay have no idea of what they have pissed off. If they knew they would run for the fucking hills.” Lisa answered with a small curtsy. Then ran to carry out her Queen’s orders.

“If they knew what they were doing in the first place Lisa. They would’ve sued for peace long before now. I will burn down their very homes and turn their cities to ash. They only think they know what the wrath of the dragon looks like. Today I will show them.” Morgan whispered as she headed for the dragon caves. Unknown to Morgan her words were carried to the farthest corners of Imrryr. Every last citizen of Melniboné could feel their Queen’s barely controlled rage. Even the slaves deep in the bowels of the golden barges felt her rage. For the first in the history of the ancient race they knew a fear unlike any other.

The Clearing of Challenges.

The Aos Sídhe Queens stood in the center of the great empty plan. Each had arrived with fifty of their knights. The first one to speak was Queen Vaeri. “We have a choice to make sisters. One that is not easy.”

“We do not need to do this Vaeri. As no challenge has been issued, we each lead our own army. Besides, there has been enough blood spilled on these grounds and we will need our power for the battle with the dragonkin.” Finnea snapped.

“Finnea has a valid point Vaeri. We only to face the dragonkin on the open field. Once they see our full military might. They’ll realize the foolishness of defying our rule.” Dalilah grunted.

“The both of you are fools. Have you not paid attention to the legends?” Sumina snarled as she glared at the two younger Queens. “Do either of you have a dragon hidden somewhere that you can call upon? Better yet. Do either of you have a fleet of twenty battle barges that you can send against just one golden barge?”

“You know that we don’t Sumina. None of us have something like that.” Dalilah snapped then sighed. “But we cannot just rollover and let the dragonkin return. The first Queens would rollover in their graves.”

“There is also one other possible situation that we have yet to discuss.” Vaeri told her three sister queens. “It is the reason that I have called for this meeting.”

“What other situation are you talking about Vaeri?” Sumina asked her.

“The Grand Queen’s Challenge can be issued by any Queen of Avalon.” Vaeri told them bluntly. “That includes both the Human and Dragonkin Queens.”

“What are you talking about Vaeri? I thought only the Queens of the Aos Sídhe Queens can issue a challenge to be the Grand Queen.” Dalilah questioned her.

“You and Finnea are too young to remember the last time we had a Grand Queen, Dalilah. Even I don’t remember all of the requirements and outcomes for a Grand Queen’s Challenge.” Sumina chuckled honestly. “Before you ask, I wasn’t old enough to participate in the last challenge. I was only a princess at the time.”

“I was the only one alive and old enough to be present at the last Grand Queen’s Challenge. When that Challenge was issued. It was by the First Emerald Queen of Avalon, Morgana Le Fay. Understand something sisters her power was only surpassed by Queen Tatiana’s.” Vaeri told her three younger queens. “IF the current Emerald Queen should appear on this field. Then she would have every right to issue a challenge for the leadership of this island.”

“Why would we even accept a challenge from a human?” Dalilah snorted.

“We would have no choice!” Vaeri shouted. Then sighed at the look of contempt on Dalilah’s face. “You are ignoring the old legends out of ignorance.”

“What legend am I ignoring?” Dalilah asked in confusion.

“During the time of the ancient ones. Shortly after Oberon and Tatiana left Avalon. A Seer came forward with the first Queens’ Challenge. Back then it was only the four Queens of the Aos Sídhe courts. It was during a time of great strife between our four courts. The Seer was very exact in her words when she gave us the Queens’ Challenge. To turn away ANY Queen of Avalon is to invite the wrath of Oberon and his children.” Vaeri told the young queen bluntly. “I can assure you that no matter how powerful you believe yourself to be. The weakest of Oberon’s children could destroy you in a matter of moments.”

“They are gone. To believe in such foolishness is to invite the downfall of our kingdoms. No, we must first put an end to the dragonkin threat. Then we march on the humans and enslave them until the end of time.” Dalilah snarled.

“You are blinded by your own power to the truth that we all must face child.” Sumina snapped. “Even combined our power pails to that of the Dragonkin’s Queen.”

“What power could a child have?” Finnea scoffed. “She is but a babe newly come to her power. Anyone of us could destroy her with nothing more than a thought.”

“You’re as big a fool as Dalilah. We had one chance to stop the Dragonkin Queen. We failed and now we are out of time. In just two short hours the Hunter’s moon shall rise. I fear that even now Death wings its way towards us.” Veari told them. She turned slowly towards the north. To where Imrryr sat below the horizon. She then turned towards the west and the setting sun. “We have two hours to make our choice. We can fight. Which will end with the destruction of our kingdoms. Or we can seek out the Emerald Queen.”

“What help could the humans’ Queen provide?” Finnea asked sharply.

“Remember the Azure One Nefferi’s final prophecy. The Emerald Queen and the White Wolf are bound in a way unknown to us. If we make peace with the human Queen, then we might have a chance at stopping the Dragonkin.” Sumina explained.

“Your hope is a futile one Queen of the Fall Court. Queen Morgan of the Dreaming Imrryr is on her way as we speak. I warned you. You failed. Now is the end of your time.” All four Queens of the Aos Sídhe Courts spun around looking for where the voice came from. It was a voice they all knew well. Then to their horror a Shadow Realm portal opened before their eyes. As the dhampir stepped onto the field she was not alone. Beside her was a Shadow Cat with its wings folded across her back.

“Where have you been slave?” Finnea snarled as she started to form a spell. Only to have it dispelled before it even had a chance to consolidate. “WHAT? IMPOSSIBLE!”

“Not for her or her companion Finnea. Now that she is no longer bound to the Cave, she has full access to her powers.” Sumina chuckled then gave the dhampir a small nod of her head in greeting. “Where is your new Mistress dhampir?”

“She will be here shortly Queen of the Fall Court. She rides with her greatest of champions and two mages of unequaled power.” Princess Vladislava told her with a chuckle as she petted the Shadow Cat. “They shall arrive with the Hunter’s Moon.”

“Who arrives with the Hunter’s Moon?” Veari asked Vladislava.

“Why the Emerald Queen and the White Wolf.” Vladislava answered with grin of satisfaction. She knew that the Aos Sídhe Queens were now in the one place they had no chance of hiding. They might be able to run, but that would only delay the inevitable. “I would suggest that you stay here. If you run. Then both Aos Sídhe kingdoms shall become little more than ash and dust on the winds.”

“Then return to your Mistress Daywalker. Use your powers and hurry her arrival. We would enter into a treaty with her.” Veari sighed in defeat.

“You can but I and my people will fight with all our might. We will not become the playthings of the Dragonkin.” Dalilah snarled and turned to walk away.

“I promised that I would offer you an escape Queen Dalilah. This will be the second time I offer.” Vladislava said to her retreating back.

“I gave you my answer once already, bitch.” Dalilah snapped and continued to walk towards her tent. Unheard by the others Dalilah snarled. In the last few hours, she had learned what Vladislava was offering her. It didn’t take her long to realize that she would be little more than a slave to the dhampir. “I’ll never let myself become the Blood-bound Bride of a dhampir.”

“Then I shall go to my Queen to hasten her arrival. Do you still wish to offer her the right to participate in the Queens’ Challenge?” Vladislava asked.

“If that is the only way to enter into a peace with her. Then yes. We offer her the chance to participate in the Queens’ Challenge.” Veari told her harshly.

“I shall relay your request Queen of the Summer Court.” Vladislava told her with a small smile and curtsy. “Come Ambassador Seemsucia. The Emerald Queen waits.”

“As you wish Princess Vladislava.” The Shadow Cat chuckled then opened a portal. As they stepped through into the Shadow Realm the Aos Sídhe Queens turned to where Dalilah and the Winter Court stood.

“Sumina go and stop your younger monarch. We shall need all of our power if we are to succeed.” Veari said with a sigh.

“What are you planning Veari?” Sumina asked the Summer Court Queen.

“We trap the Emerald Queen. Then use her to put a muzzle and leash the White Wolf.” Veari answered with a nasty chuckle. “We shall use her bound with the White Wolf against them. Once we have the Emerald Queen under our control the White Wolf will bow to our will. But to achieve that we need Dalilah’s power.”

Map room Avalon Castle 36 hours early

Katherine, David, and Dale stood around the massive 3D map table that Dale had conjured. Unlike the map David had found the 3D map table was an actual representation of Avalon Island. In the center of the mountains of mist was a small tabletop plateau. The plateau was about a day’s ride south of the three northern coastal cities. It was in direct line with Imrryr and Avalon. For the first time the three Arthurian Historians realized that Avalon was half a day’s ride from the coast. It was also Katherine’s first time at the sheer size of her kingdom.

“My god. Is that really the size of Avalon?” She asked in a whisper.

“It is my Queen. You have command over one half of Avalon Island.” Dale told her with a slight chuckle at her grimace.

“Dale if you use Majesty, Queen, or any other fucking Noble with me again. I swear by all that’s holy. I will break my foot off in your ass.” Katherine snarled.

“Chill Kathy. Dale is just fucking with you love.” David chuckled before he pulled her into a hug. When he let her go, David gave his wife a light kiss on the cheek. “We know how much all this is stressing you out, but you’re doing great so far.”

“Damn it, David. I’m winging this shit. Hell. Right now, I know that our daughter is getting ready to march on Avalon.” Katherine sighed. “And there is nothing we can do to stop her. The truly fucked up part about all of this is we’ll have to face her on the battlefield, and we’ll be at a major disadvantage.”

“How do you figure that Kathy?” Dale asked her.

“Think about it David. Morgan is a student of warfare. Not just medieval but modern as well. She’ll bring more than modern warfare tactics to the medieval battlefield. Morgan has two Special Operations soldiers from our time to advise her and train her soldiers. She won’t face us in open battle until she has destroyed our support network. She’ll seal off our two ports with her navy first. Then she’ll send her air force to burn down the fields and destroy the towns that feed us. Morgan will wage a combined arms war much like the way that the US did in nineteen-ninety against Iraq.” Katherine told them both with a heavy sigh. Then she chuckled. “Then again she might, just might wage a Guerilla war against us.”

“Kathy how certain are you about Morgan coming at us in those manners?” David asked.

“I know my child better than either of you. Morgan has never been one to personal insults go. That ignorant bitch Eleanor and her little attack on her is one insult that Morgan can’t let go.” Katherine told him bluntly.

“You do have a point. Even before we got David into medieval martial arts. David was always ready to fight. Someone could insult him all they wanted, but the second they hurt or insulted someone small then him. The boy would go at the offender with everything he had. Him might get his ass kicked but whoever it was they would know they were in a fight.” David chuckled.

“Then the Dragonkin Queen is more than she appears. She is a warrior as well as a diplomat.” All three historians spun towards the voice that came from the shadows. There before their eyes was a portal. David and Dale both drew their swords as Katherine formed a lightning spell. “Please stay thy hands. I bare you no ill will.”

“Then show yourself Shadow walker.” David ordered as he too ready an attack spell.

“As you command my Lord.” Vladislava answered as she stepped from the shadow portal. With a curtsy to the three gathered nobles the dhampir introduced herself. “I am Princess Vladislava, the last child of Vlad Dracula’s line, and a Day Walker.”

“As in Vlad the Impaler?” Dale asked as he lowered his sword. When Vladislava nodded her head David and Dale gave Katherine a strange look.

“Don’t ask me. This is more Morgan’s area of study.” Katherine pointed out. “After all we’re talking about the Balkans here.”

“That’s true.” David snorted then chuckled as he turned to the dhampir. “Okay Princess the ball is in your court. How can we help you?”

“It is I who wish to help you sir. There is a way to avoid a war with the Melnibonéan and Aos Sídhe Queens.” Vladislava told them honestly.

“If there is a way to avoid a war with our daughter then tells us Princess. Because I have no desire to face her in battle.” Katherine almost snarled.

“As you command my Queen.” Vladislava answered with a sly smile. “It is known as the Queens’ Challenge. In two days’ time, your Majesty. the Hunter’s Moon will rise over the Clearing of Challenges. It is there you can end the war before it begins.”

“What is this Queens’ Challenge?” Dale asked for Katherine.

“It is battle between the six Queens of Avalon. The winner is the undisputed ruler of Avalon.” Vladislava explained then grinned. “In the time before the last great reset of Balance. Avalon was the home of the Melnibonéans. They shared their island with many races. After the reset Melniboné was given to the Fay. King Oberon and Queen Tatiana were the first rulers of the Island of Avalon. It was during their time that the Queens’ Challenge was held.”

“Why did they hold this Queens’ Challenge, Princess?” Katherine asked her.

“To settle a dispute between their four oldest daughters. You see the Four Courts of the Aos Sídhe were born from this dispute. Each daughter felt that they should rule over all of Avalon. To end this squabble they choose a level piece of Avalon. There they gathered their four daughters. Once gathered Queen Tatiana issued her challenge. Whichever of her daughters was the most powerful would rule over all of Avalon. After thirty days and nights there was no winner. So Queen Tatiana declared a draw. With this declaration the four daughters divided the northern half of Avalon. Using Imrryr as the divider. To punish her daughters’ refusal to acknowledge his Queen’s declaration King Oberon cast the spell that would forever dived Avalon. From both the world and the north from the south.” Vladislava told them.

“The Mist. What is the actual name for the Mist, or does it even have one?” David asked with real academic interest.

“The Bones of Memory’s Mist is one of the greatest spells to have ever been cast. It drained King Oberon of half his magic for a fortnight. When he finally recovered Avalon was shrouded and transport to another world. Even when the Bones are shattered Avalon will never return to the world of Author.” Vladislava said just before a glazed look came over her face. “I have been sent here to be your soothsayer.”

“Tell, me Princess. What use do I have for a soothsayer?” Katherine asked.

“It is my providence to guide the Queens of this Island. Until now I was only allowed to guide the Aos Sídhe Queens. I know what the future holds. Even now as I speak with you. Five of the six Promise Stones have ignited. Only the last and greatest of the stones has yet to ignite.” Vladislava explained. “Even now as we talk the Four Court Queens gather at the Clearing of Challenges.”

“Then I believe it is time for me to introduce myself to my fellow Queens.” Katherine snarled as she turned towards the door. In a clear voice she called out. “Sile!”

“You called for me, my Queen.” Sile asked as she appeared in a swirl of smoke.

“Gather my guards, Sir Bertilak, Dame Helga, and Sir Tobin. We ride for the Clearing of Challenges before noon.” Katherine ordered her slave.

“As you command Mistress.” Sile answered with a curtsy then vanished in a cloud of smoke. That simple act brought a chuckle from David, Dale, and Katherine.

“I have got to get her to teach me how she does that.” Dale chuckled before he turned to Katherine. “Are we really going to face the Four Court Queens down?”

“No. We’re riding to the Clearing of Challenges to stop my daughter.” Katherine told her husband and Dale. “Because if we don’t Morgan will destroy the Four Courts totally. She won’t stop with just the Queens. She’ll go after the nobles that support them and the citizens.”

“Do you really believe that Katherine?” Dale asked in surprise.

“My daughter is many things, Dale. Forgiving isn’t one of them. Even when she was a boy Morgan held onto a grudge. Back then she was like a Pitbull with a bone.” David shivered as he thought about his child. “Now she’ll be more like a dragon with a stick jammed up her ass.”

“And twice as deadly.” Katherine sighed. “Come on boys. We need to try and stop Morgan before she becomes a mass murderer likes of Hitler, or Stalin.”

Trail to the Clearing of Challenges, Present day and time.

Katherine and her party had been riding hard for the last two days. They were just one short hour away from the Clearing of Challenges when Vladislava appeared before them on the trail. Katherine reigned her horse to a stop as the dhampir appeared. “What news do you bring Princess?”

“The Four Queens have gathered my Queen. They await your arrival.” Vladislava answered honestly as she and the Shadow Cat bowed before her. “Your daughter will arrive with the rising of the Hunter’s Moon.”

“Damn. We’ll never make it in time.” David snarled as he looked towards the sitting sun. “The moon will be up before we can reach the clearing.”

“With the help of Ambassador Seemsucia of the Shadow Cat Clan. I can open a portal large enough to carry all of you to the Clearing.” Vladislava told them. “Though I need your permission, Queen Katherine.”

“Given. Now open that portal, Princess. We must stop my daughter before her anger twists her soul.” Katherine ordered the dhampir.

Five minutes later thanks to the combined magic of the dhampir and shadow cat opened a portal large enough for the Avalon party to ride through. In the center of the clearing as the portal opened all four of the Aos Sídhe Queens turned to face it. They had worked fast and furiously to form the magic that would capture the Avalon Queen and her party. Katherine led her party through the portal and right into the Four Queens’ trap. The only ones not captured in the glowing force bubble was Princess Vladislava, Ambassador Seemsucia, and Sile.

The shadow car yawled in anger at the betrayal by the Aos Sídhe Queens. “You dare to violate the ancient Pact?!”

“We have no need to pander to a human shadow cat.” Queen Vaeri snarled. “The ancient laws do not apply. No Challenge was issued. Therefor the humans have no place here.”

“Oh you poor stupid fools.” Sile chuckled as she walked to the far side of the bubble. “My Mistress had come here to stop her daughter. Now you have sealed your fate. I only pray that Queen Morgan shows your people mercy in her revenge.”

“How dare you speak to us in such a manner slave. I’ll have your tongue for daring to speak to us as if you’re our equal.” Dalilah snarled as she began to form a binding spell. “In fact I like that will be the first thing I do. Once you and these humans have been shown who are the true Rulers of Avalon.”

“I don’t think so, false Queen.” Sile chuckled as she banished the binding spell with a wave of her hand. “Try not your, magics on me, little girl. I was once a guest of your mother’s court. I know all of them and I’ve forgotten even more.”

“BY THE GODDESS! YOU”VE RETURNED! HOW DID YOU ESCAPE THE MARK?!” Vaeri screamed.

“Because I took what you used to enslave her and freed her.” David chuckled as he banished the force bubble. “You know something Katherine. I say we let Morgan handle these fucking idiots. She’ll show them far more mercy than we will.”

“Agreed David. Though I do feel that we should at least give a chance at survival. After all. If we fight them, they’ll have at least a marginal chance of success. If we let Queen Morgan handle the problem. None of us will get any satisfaction.” Dale told them both before pulling out his pipe. Seeing this both Katherine and David Pendragon followed his example. Even Sir Bertilak, Dame Helga, and Sir Tobin joined them in preparing their pipes for a smoke.

“How dare you dismiss us as being beneath you. We are your.” Finnea’s rant was cut off by the roar of a dragon passing overhead.

“And the star makes her grand entrance.” Katherine chuckled as she turned in her saddle to Princess Vladislava. “Your revenge is at hand Princess.”

“Indeed your Majesty. Though to be honest I had not excepted her to arrive on the back of a Wyrm.” Vladislava chuckled. “Nor in the company of twenty Dragon knights.”

“Our daughter has never been one to do things in half measures.” Katherine sighed. “Especially when she got ready for a fight.”

“HEAR ME QUEENS OF THE AOS SῙDHE! I HAVE COME FOR YOUR HEADS!” Morgan yelled as she glided over the clearing one more time before dropping from her dragon’s saddle. Even before her feet touched the ground Morgan had drawn Stormbringer. With a slow steady pace Morgan stalked towards the four Aos Sídhe Queens. To the untrained eye Morgan appeared to be walking towards her enemies at a casual pace. To David, Dale, Tobin, Bertilak, and Helga, her pace was that of a seasoned warrior. One who was hell bent on death and destruction. There was no hesitation, no fear, only grim determination. “Yield and I shall show you mercy! Fight and I’ll stretch your worthless hides on the very gates to your city walls. This is your only warning.”

“Kathy, I do believe that Morgan is a little pissed off.” David snarked then lite his pipe. After taking a draw off his pipe David exhaled slowly. “I think we might need a magic shield of some type. This is going to get messy.”

“Coming from you Master. That is saying something.” Sile sighed as she formed a magical barrier around the Avalon party. “I just hope Queen Morgan doesn’t lay waste to the rest of the surrounding forest by mistake.”

“If my daughter lays waste to the surrounding forest to won’t be by mistake, Sile.” Katherine told her as she lite her own pipe. After taking a deep draw off her pipe Katherine continued. “I fear that her power has grown to the point that not even with our combined power the five of us could stand up to her.”

“What are you talking about Katherine?” Dale asked her.

“I agree with Lord Dale my Queen. Queen Morgan is not some bogey man from ancient lore. She is nothing more than a powerful and confident young woman.” Bertilak told the gathered Avalon party.

“The Green Knight speaks truth your Majesty. The only deference between the last time I saw her and now is simple. She is more in control of her emotions and magic.” Tobin told his queen as he thought back to the first time, he saw the young woman.

“She may own Stormbringer and is a true knight my Majesty, but she faces magic users with hundreds of years of experience. Her only advantage is speed and armor. If she can close the distance between her and the Four Aos Sídhe Queens. Only then will she be victorious. If they can keep her at range. Your daughter will lose.” Dame Helga told Katherine with the certainty of long years in combat.

“It won’t matter Dame of the Midnight Blade. The Dragonkin Queen holds more than just the God Slaying Blade Stormbringer.” Vladislava snorted then explained. “She bears not only the Queen’s Tiara but the Ring of Kings. Her magic is more than a match for these upstart Aos Sídhe. She is their superior in every way. If you’ll excuse me, my Queen. I fear that I must discharge my final duty sooner than expected. I can feel the final stone. It has ignited at last.”

Once Vladislava was twenty feet away from them Dale turned to Katherine. “I wonder what that was all about? If I didn’t know better. I would swear that she was saying goodbye or something.”

“She was Lord Dale.” Sir Bertilak sighed. “For several centuries I have known of the Other Soul oracle. I have also known that the day she appeared in Avalon the final confrontation between the Aos Sídhe, and humans would not be far off. It seems that day has finally come. We can only pray that they die here and the Dragonkin Queen shows us mercy.”

“That is not what we need to worry about Sir Bertilak.” Katherine sighed and took a drag off her pipe. “No the worry is whether or not Morgan can win.”

“That is not going to be a problem, Kathy.” David told her bluntly. “Morgan will win. Because if she loses then all of Avalon loses.”

“Why do you say that, Lord David?” Sir Tobin asked in confusion.

“Because if she loses. Then all of Melniboné will ride forth across Avalon. In their wake they will leave nothing but death and destruction.” David explained.

Vladislava ignored the conversation between the Avalon party as she steadily walked toward the center of the clearing between the five combatants. Unlike them she had been waiting for this day to come for centuries. Once she reached the middle she looked over at Dalilah with an evil grin. “My offer still stands Queen of the Winter Court. I can save you from the fate that lays before you.”

“NEVER!” Dalilah screamed. “I will die before I surrender to you dhampir.”

“Then let the Fates have you Queen Dalilah. May they show mercy upon your people as you lie dying on this field.” Vladislava snorted as she reenforced the magical shield surrounding the Avalon party. Vladislava wanted them to witness the downfall of the Aos Sídhe Courts. Especially Tobin the Troll Slayer. For he would carry her legend to the common people of this world, and she would not be lost to the sands of time. Taking a deep breath Vladislava called out. “By Ash, Oak, and Hawthorn I stand witness to this battle of wills. Let none interfere upon penalty of death.”

When the four Queens and Morgan looked at her Vladislava raised her right arm. She waited until all five had acknowledged her with a nod of their head. When Morgan finally nodded Vladislava took a deep breath and dropped her arm. “BEGIN!”

-----tbc-----

PS, Sorry for the late posting of this chapter. I have been busy with RL for the last few weeks and haven't had time to devote to my writing. Now that Nov. is here I'll have more time to devote to writing.

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“BEGIN!”

oh boy!

DogSig.png

Cliffhanger

That is the most evil cliffhanger from you ever. Vampire Princess also why is she going to die after this?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Devious

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Glad I'm not the only one that believed this might be Jess' most Vile cliffhanger yet. The fact that there have been several doozies in the last few years says quite a bit about this one, LoL.

I hope

The humiliation and defeat of the AOS Sidhe queens is overwhelming and painful in its completeness, with little collateral damage; and results in true freedom and peace for the remaining inhabitants of the island.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin