Daughter Of The Wolf Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Dan Two Elk was loading his pick-up truck with feed for his horses when he felt a familiar presence near him. He stops loading his truck and looks around and notices a rather large pitch-black color wolf looking at him. Dan knew right away who and what the wolf was. It was Wolf himself, his totem spirit.

“What can I do for you, Wonvertu?” Dan just smiles and watches the wolf. Dan used the Navajo name for Wolf, instead of just calling him Wolf.

“I require your help. There is a pup of mine that is going to need your guidance and training. She has suffered a lot and will have a difficult time adjusting to what she is now. I’m placing her education and safety in your hands.” Wolf knew Dan would be a good teacher for the girl child. He had seen him help so many lost and troubled children get back on the right path.

Dan’s guidance and patience would be good for his daughter now. Wolf couldn’t believe now he has a daughter of his blood. It has been centuries since he has had a child of his blood that was human and tied him to the mortal world.

Dan couldn’t believe that Wonvertu was asking him to guide and look after a child of his blood.

“What is her name and where is she?” Dan had rested against his truck while he was talking with Wonvertu.

“Her name is Amy Red Wolf and she is at the waterfall I took you to two moons ago. She’s to remain near there for seven full moons. She may leave the waterfall area to hunt and learn, but she must return there when she can. She isn’t prepared for the path upon which she has been placed.” Wolf wanted to give his daughter time to learn about herself first and then let her start on her path to avenge her family. He also knew that there were other supernatural creatures in the area that might try to take advantage of her innocents.

Dan mentally puts together items he’ll need to take with him. He was familiar with where the waterfall was and knew the only way to get where Wolf’s daughter is, was by horseback. There was no way you were going to get a vehicle or even a four-wheeler to that location. You might get halfway, but you’ll have to go the rest of the way on foot.

“What does she have already?” Dan was wondering what he should bring with him for her.

“Nothing, she’ll need clothes and moccasins to wear. Teach her how to cook the old fashion way, before introducing her to any modern ways. There is a huge boar sounder nearby that you can hunt down and kill for food for her and you.” Wolf figures it would be good to trim the boar population down some.

“I know the sounder you are talking about. They have been destroying some of the farmer’s crops around here.” Dan figures a good boar hunt would be a good way to teach Wolf’s daughter how to track animals.

“I’ll have to make arrangements before I head over towards your daughter. I’ll make sure she is kept safe and properly taught.” Dan figures he could spend time between the waterfall and his ranch. His brother and sisters-in-law could handle the ranch while he is gone.

“I’ll be stopping by to check on her progress. Remember, she’s to return to the waterfall every night, when you can. She is safe there from other creatures around here, till she can care for herself.”

“I wouldn’t expect any less from you. I’ll be sure to let her know.” Dan watches as Wolf walks off back into the desert.

He gets into his truck and notices a package he hadn’t seen before lying on his front seat. There were a few more items back at his home that he knew would fit the girl. Wolf had given him a mental image of her and her sizes. When Dan arrives back at his home, he gets one of his brothers to help him unload the feed and get a horse ready to ride out to the waterfall. He heads inside his house and pulls his backpack out of the closet and puts everything he was going to need in it.

Dan figures that he could spend a few days with her right now, but past that he’ll have to come back here to the ranch. He had an appointment with the Pow Wow committee at the end of the week. Not to mention, a men’s sweat lodge he needed to go to. He was filling in for Robert Night Cloud because he had another appointment that day.

Rebecca had seen her brother-in-law Dan come in and unload his truck with the feed they needed for the horses. She also notices that he had gotten his horse and saddled him up as well. She had seen him put his saddlebags and hunting rifle on his horse. She had watched as he headed into the house. She walks over to the house and heads inside. Rebecca could hear Dan moving around in his bedroom. She had walked up to the door and looked in and saw him packing his gear and a few articles of clothing for a girl in his old Army backpack.

So, who’s the girl you’re going to help?” Rebecca watches as Dan turns quickly around towards her.

Dan hadn’t even heard his sister-in-law until she spoke to him. He turns around and looks at her.

“She’s a girl that Wolf found and wants me to help her.” Dan wasn’t about to tell his sister-in-law that she was Wolf’s daughter.

“Why don’t you bring her back here to the ranch? We can all help you with her.” Rebecca couldn’t figure out why Dan was packing his camping gear.

“Wolf wants me to train her where she is for a while. He feels that she isn’t ready to be around other people right now.” Dan closes his backpack up as he lifts it off his bed.

Rebecca couldn’t figure out why a girl would need to be separated away from other people for a while. What reason did Wolf have?
She looks past Dan towards the window behind him and could tell that night would be coming soon.

“Let me fix a basket for both of you to take. Also, do you know how tall or what sizes she wears?” Rebecca had a few items she could send with Dan for the girl.

“Okay, and yes I do know what sizes she is,” Dan tells his sister-in-law Amy’s sizes.

Rebecca turns around and heads toward her bedroom to retrieve some clothes for the girl. She had a few items left over from their last visit that would fit the girl. She grabs a pair of cowboy boots that someone with Amy’s feet size could wear. She heads back into the living room where Dan was waiting for her and gives the items to him.

Dan takes the items Rebecca gives him out to his horse and packs them away. He double-checks everything and then heads back inside to see if Rebecca had finished packing a basket for him to take with him.

Rebecca had just finished packing the basket with food when Dan comes walking into the kitchen.

She looks up as he comes walking in “I’ve packed about two days’ worth of food in here for you and whoever this girl is. So, you should be okay for two days. I also packed some coffee beans for you, since I know how much you love your coffee. Just remember to bring my basket back with you.”

“I promise too, Rebecca.” He walks over and hugs her. He steps back and looks into her brown eyes.

“I shouldn’t be gone long. I promise to be back by this weekend and no, she won’t be coming with me. Wolf made that very clear. He wants her to stay where she is for at least seven full moons.” Dan didn’t know why, but he would do as he was instructed to.

“I wonder why?” Rebecca had this puzzled look on her face as well.

“Who knows? All I do know is that she needs my help and that she needs to learn about herself. Wolf feels I can do that for her, so I am going to do my best to help her.” Dan didn’t mind helping this poor girl he was being sent to.

“Well, I hope things go well, and remember, she is always welcome here at the ranch.” Rebecca wouldn’t mind having a visitor here to help her.

“I know. Well, I better be off if I want to get there before night comes.” He hugs Rebecca one more time and heads out to his horse and rides off away from the ranch.

By the time Dan gets to where the waterfall is and follows the hidden passage through mountain cervices to the waterfall, night had fallen. It was pitch black by the time he emerged from the passage. When he enters the pool area, he notices a young petite nude young girl with long black hair that covered part of her second-degree sunburn body sounds asleep on a mat of soft moss. There were two huge Golden Eagles standing sentry over her sleeping form from outcrops near her.

The Golden Eagles look down at the stranger that had just emerged from the entrance to the pool area. They had been sent to watch over Wolf’s daughter as she slept, till her mentor got here. They had watched as she slowly fell asleep on the mat of moss near the water. They were instructed that once Dan Two Elk arrived to go ahead and leave her in his care. They knew Dan’s reputation. Both lift their wings in unison and take off into the night sky. They fly off towards their home for the night.

Dan watches as the two Golden Eagles fly off from the pool oasis. He looks back down at the young girl as she slept on the moss. She looked so innocent and fragile. He could see small marks that looked to have been caused by needles all over her sunburned body and neck. He wonders if he should let her sleep or wake her.

“I’ll wake her for you, Dan.” Wolf comes walking out of the shadow near Dan.

Wolf walks over to Amy’s sleeping form and nudges her with his wet nose.

“Amy, wake up. Your mentor is here and he has food and clothes for you.” Wolf sends a little bit of magic towards Amy to wake her.

Amy slowly opens her eyes and see’s the black wolf next to her. She wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him. When she releases her arms from around his neck, she notices a man that looked like he was Native American with a chiseled face standing near her. He was tall and muscular like some of the wrestlers on television. He was wearing a dark blue western-style shirt, dusty blue jeans, and a pair of dark brown cowboy boots. She notices that the belt buckle at his waist was silver and was in the shape of a circle with a horse head on it. A black cowboy hat with a brown strip going around it rested on his head. His long black hair was braided and had feathers hanging from it. He looked to be older than her father by several years. His eyes were directed at her and watched her like her father used to watch her.

Dan examines the girl as he stood a few feet from her. He could see fear in her eyes and on her face. Her eyes were holding his attention. They were the color of the sky on a clear day. You could see how blue they were and how they made her eyes stand out. Her face was soft and fine.
She looked like an Angel with Native American features. She looked to be a pre-teen and small for her age group. Her petite body made her look even younger than she was.

Wolf senses how scared and frightened Amy was.

“You can trust this one Amy. He means you no harm and will watch after you as if you were his child. His name is Dan Two Elk and he will be your teacher till you are ready to leave here. There is so much that you need to be prepared for and he is the best person to teach you.”

“Why can’t you teach me?” Amy looked into Wolf’s blue eyes.

“Because I can’t. You need to learn how to interact with normal and supernatural people. You’re different now, because of my blood flowing inside of you. Dan Two Elk will be able to help you adjust to things you’ll learn about yourself now. I want you to obey him and do everything he tells you to do. I will stop in once in a while to check on your progress and see how you are handling the changes done to you.” Wolf licks her cheek.

Dan kept quiet as he watched the two of them. He heard everything that Wolf said to Amy and could feel her relax around him.

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This story is getting thick

Samantha Heart's picture

It's already getting interesting & thick with mystery

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

How has Amy changed?

Jamie Lee's picture

How did Wolf and Dan Two Elk meet, and how did Dan tie Wold to that area?

How has Amy changed? Why is it necessary she stay at the fall for seven months? Does something occur to Amy during each full moon, something she'll need to get accustomed to happening?

Others have feelings too.