Daughter Of The Wolf Part 8

Printer-friendly version

Dan’s Ranch:
Amy yawns and stretches as she looks around the bedroom, she wakes up in. There was a slight chill in the air as she gets out of bed. She slips her feet into the slippers Dan’s wife had given her. She doesn’t know how Dan’s wife knew what size she wore, but she was thankful for them.

She walks over to the dresser with a huge mirror attached to it and brushes out her long black hair. Her hair has gotten longer and fuller since her return from the wilderness training Dan put her through.

She brushes it out and afterward, put it into a high ponytail. She slips the flannel nightshirt she was wearing off and put on the new bra, Dan’s wife took her to get. She noticed that her body was starting to change and her breasts were starting to fill out. At first, she hadn’t noticed the development. However, one day when she was reaching for an item she dropped. Her chest started hurting. Later on in the day, she felt the pain again, but more intense when she got smacked across her chest. The pain had caused her to drop to her knees.

It was after Dan’s wife examined her, that she was informed about her breasts filling in. Dan’s wife took her shopping and bought her several training bras to start wearing. She quickly gets dressed and heads outside to feed the horses. She could see her breath when she let a breath out and was thankful for the fleece-lined jacket Dan gave her.

Amy walks up to Swift Wind and rubs his nose. He was a dark chestnut brown color and several hands tall. She felt so small near him. “How are you doing, boy?” As Amy continues to pet him.

Dan had said that Swift Wind was her horse now. He had been amazed at how Swift Wind responded to her touch and commands.

When Dan got him, no one could get near him. When they tried to break him. He put them in the hospital. It wasn’t until Dan introduced Amy to Swift Wind, that the horse calmed down and acted like a puppy around her. When she wasn’t around, no one could approach him, but when she came back. He let them.

“We’ll go for a ride later boy.” Amy gives the big horse a hug, before moving on to feed the other horses.

Amy feeds the other horses and lets them out into the field to exercise. She feeds the cattle and buffalos Dan was raising. After completing her morning chores, Amy heads back into the house. She takes her boots off in the mud room and slips her slippers back on.

The weather had gotten cooler and colder lately. Dan said that he was going to train her for weather survival and tracking. But also, he and his wife was going to teach her how she was supposed to act around other people. She also was going to learn how to read their body language as well. That way when she goes after the people who were responsible for the death of her parents and for the experiment performed on her. She would be able to tell if they were lying or not.

Dan’s wife, also informed her that it would do her some good on how to interact with other people. She was at the age where girls learned certain skills from being around other girls their age and socializing with boys. She really didn’t care about socializing with others right now, but her father said it was important that she learns how.

The skills she learns will allow her to blend in with a crowd and make it harder for her prey to locate her. Those same skills would allow her to get close to her prey and surprise them. She knew her father was right, so she promised to do her best.

When Amy walks into the kitchen, she notices Rebecca fixing breakfast for everyone. She walks over to the refrigerator and grabs the pitcher of milk and pours herself a glass.

“Is everyone taken care of?” Rebecca looks at Amy.

“Yes, ma’am. Everyone is fed and let out into the field.”

“Good, how about you help me with breakfast, and afterward, you can help me make a few delivers.”

“Okay.” Amy didn’t mind helping out Dan’s sister-in-law. Rebecca was a nice person and tried to help out some of the seniors on the reservation.

Amy gets to work making pancakes and flatbread. She loved Rebecca’s recipe for flatbread. It took her several tries to get the recipe right, but once she did. They came out, perfect each time she made them.

She makes enough for the eight people living in the old farmhouse to have three flatbreads apiece. She knew the guys loved to load theirs up
with scrambled eggs and bacon. She also makes a pot of coffee as well. She was good at making coffee, after hanging out with Dan so much.

“Guys, breakfast is ready.” Amy had gone to yell upstairs to everyone.

“Already, sweet pea.” Samuel had come out of his bedroom and looked down at Amy.

He was an older gentleman, but younger than Dan. He was Dan’s second cousin and was very kind.

“Okay, thanks, Samuel.”

“No problem, sweet per.” Samuel had been informed by Dan about who Amy was and why she was here on the ranch.

Amy walks towards Dan’s home office and knocks before going in. Dan told her she should knock before entering his office unless it was an emergency.

“Enter!”

Dan looks up as the door to his office opens. He was going over the ranch finances to make sure they weren’t going into debt.

“Let me guess, breakfast is ready?”

“Yes, sir.” Amy smiles at Dan.

She notices he was different when he was home. His attitude and posture were more relaxed and she liked it.

“Let Rebecca know I’ll be a few minutes, please.”

“Yes, sir.” Amy turns around and heads back to the kitchen.

She passes some of the other residents living at the house. Besides Rebecca and Edith. There were six other guys in the house. Edith was Dan’s wife and wasn’t Native American at all. She was Mexican and has been married to Dan for the past thirty years.

Rebecca was Edith’s adopted sister and she was a full-blooded Native American. Edith’s parents adopted Rebecca when she was just three years old. Rebecca’s parents had passed away from cancer. Since Edith’s parents and Rebecca’s parents were so close. They adopted Rebecca just before her parents passed away at the same time.

Amy walks into the dining room and sits down between Rebecca and Edith. She looks at Rebecca “he said he’ll be a few minutes.”

“Well, he better hurry before everything is gone.” Edith knew how hungry the other guys were.

“Knowing Dan, he’ll hurry.” Amy knew Dan never missed out on food.

Dan shows up a few minutes after everyone else. Amy just listens to the men talk as she eats her breakfast. She was thinking about her outing with Rebecca.

After breakfast, Rebecca, Edith, and Amy get into Rebecca’s SUV and start visiting some of the people on the reservation. Amy couldn’t believe the condition of some of the homes they visit. It wasn’t the owner’s fault for what she was seeing, but the fact that some homes didn’t have running water or electricity.

Some of the homes were patched together with all sorts of material. Things you would find at a scrap yard or junkyard. She couldn’t believe how the people were living/surviving. She looks at Edith “how long has this been going on?”

“For a long time. The tribal council has been doing everything it can to help everyone out. The problem is, there are so many laws from the state and from the Federal government. That it is hard to get approval to help everyone out.” Rebecca wishes that she could do more to help everyone.

“People shouldn’t have to live like this.” Amy felt herself getting angry at what she was seeing.

“I agree with you, Amy. However, it has been going on for so long. People have given up on trying to change the situation and those that are still
fighting to change things, are either being held back out of date laws or regulations.” Rebecca lets out a sigh.

A low growling sound could be heard coming from Amy. Her anger was boiling over.

“Easy, Amy.” Edith lays her hand on Amy’s arm.

Amy felt her anger subsiding some. She didn’t want to kill anyone right now, but she did want to punish someone for what they were doing to her people.

“Feel better?” Edith looks at Amy, searching her eyes.

“Yes, ma’am.” Amy takes a breath and lets it out.

For the rest of the day, Amy manages to remain calm as Rebecca drove them around. Amy meets all sorts of interesting people as they make their rounds.

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Native Americans have it worse

Samantha Heart's picture

However a LOT of people are home less again out of date laws, rules, & regulations & congress doesn't seam to want to help, but line their own pockets. Here we see a young lady growing up & seeing the conversation of her people upsets her. Rightfully so.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.