The Heaviness Of The Badge Chp. 14

Printer-friendly version

Jack’s House:
Haylee turns her alarm clock off, so she doesn’t wake her little sister. She and Catori had slept in Gina’s old bedroom. She puts on a pair of coveralls and her work boots. She walks across the hallway and knocks on her mother’s old bedroom door, before entering.

“Chayton, are you up?” Peeks into the room to see if her big brother was awake.

“I’m up, Haylee.” Chayton was putting his belt on. He notices Roxy and Waffle as they stick their heads into the room.

“Okay, I’ll be downstairs in the kitchen.” Haylee turns around and heads downstairs with Waffle and Roxy following her.

When she steps into the kitchen, she spots her grandfather sitting at the counter drinking a cup of coffee.

“Grandpa!” Haylee runs over to Jack.

A smile appears on Jack’s face when he hears Haylee’s voice. He turns around and puts his coffee mug on the counter.

“Come here and give your grandfather a hug.” Jack holds his arms open for Haylee.

Haylee runs over to Jack and hugs him. She missed her grandfather and was happy he was back home. She steps back and looks at her grandfather “why do your eyes look strange, grandpa?”

“It’s a long story, pumpkin. I’ll tell you and the family later.” Jack knew he had to tell all his family about his rebirth.

Haylee just looks at her grandfather and wonders why he looks so young and had wolf eyes. She knew she could trust him.

“Okay, I have to go and feed everyone.”

“I’ve already done it, Haylee. Besides, isn’t someone supposed to go outside with you?” Jack looks at Haylee.

“I was going outside with her, grandpa.” Chayton comes walking into the kitchen.

Chayton heard his grandfather’s deep voice when he walked into the kitchen. He stops and looks at his grandfather and couldn’t believe what he was seeing. His grandfather looked different.

Jack looks over towards Chayton and smiles. He was proud of the way his grandson handled himself with those police officers. He was going to need to increase his training, so he couldn’t be taken down again.

“That’s good, but your kids don’t need to feed the animals this morning. I took care of them.” When Jack got back to the house. He locked the other assassin Cecil captured in the jail cells under the horse barn.

“Grandpa, what is going on?” Chayton looks at his grandfather for an answer.

Jack looks at Chayton and knew he was no longer a child and would be eighteen years old in two more years. He looks at Haylee “why don’t you go over to your aunt’s house and tell her I want to meet my new child, Haylee.”

“Okay, grandpa.” She feeds Roxy and Waffle before she leaves.

Chayton was about to follow Haylee.

“She’ll be alright by herself, Chayton. I want to talk to you.” Jack watches as Haylee leaves through the back door. He knew Chaos and Sphinx were following her.

“What’s up grandpa?” Chayton looks at his grandfather and wonders what he wanted to talk about.

Jack takes a deep breath and looks at Chayton. He could sense that Chayton was wondering what was going on.

“Chayton, do you know what is going on with the family?”

“I know everyone has been harassed by the police and that mom has been attacked. Why? What is going on, grandpa?” Chayton knew when his grandfather gets involved, heads were going to roll.

“Someone has it out for your mother. They have connections inside the police force. Some people want to see your mother dead, all because
of how good of a cop she is.”

“People are trying to kill mom because she is a good cop?”

“Yes, and by harassing the family. They are hoping to force your mother to quit.” Jack figures that were why they were attacking the family.

“Don’t they know what you will do to them, grandpa?” Chayton knows how vengeful his grandfather can be.

“Some people are slow learners and are hoping I won’t do anything to them.” Jack figures they were underestimating what he would do.

“Why do people keep attacking this family, when they know it will sign their death warrant?” Chayton figures word would spread.

“Because they figure they can take on this family without suffering the consequences.” Barbara had walked into the kitchen and heard the question Chayton had asked.

She looks at Jack and wonders what happened to him. He didn’t look like she remembered.

“Okay, spill big brother. What has happened to you?” Barbara looks at her big brother for an answer.

Jack looks at his younger sister “I’ll explain everything to everyone at the same time, Barbara.”

“Okay, but it better be good.” Barbara wants whatever Jack took.

Chayton looks at his grandfather “looks like you’re in trouble with Aunt Barbara now, now grandpa.”

“Your grandfather is always in trouble with me, Chayton.” Barbara looks at Jack with a smirk on her face.

Chayton just shakes his head. He knew his aunt was a director in the British Secret Service. He walks past his grandfather and fixes himself a glass of orange juice.

Jack looks at his sister “I heard you adopted two new girls.”

“Yeah, one is capable of predicting the future and my other daughter is like your daughters.” Barbara didn’t mind raising a transgender daughter. Mouse had been transgender before she had the surgery.

“Are you sure, about raising two more girls?” Jack knew Mouse just turned twenty.

“I’m sure. These girls need me, and I can help them.” Barbara walks over to the coffee machine and brews a cup of coffee.

“Are they both American citizens?” Jack knew there might be some complications because of it.

“Yes, but I already made arrangements with D.C.’s Child Protective Services.”

“That must have been fun.” Jack takes a sip of his coffee.

Chayton spots his aunt Gina and her family coming up the back way from her house. Haylee and Arabella and the new girl were chasing after Trigger. It looked like Trigger had something in her mouth.

“Grandpa, Aunt Gina, and her family are approaching.” Chayton looks at Jack and his Aunt Barbara.

“Okay.” Jack takes another sip of his coffee.

Spare Bedroom, Jack’s House:
Bella is woken up by Lobo jumping onto the bed she was asleep on. He had heard people moving around outside the bedroom door. He licks Bella on the face.

“Uugghh! Doggy breath.” Bella wakes up and saw Lobo looking down at her.

She reaches up and scratches him under his muzzle. She loved her German Shepard/Wolf hybrid.

“Do you need to use the bathroom?”

Lobo just barks and jumps down off the bed. He had slept at the foot of the bed last night.

“Alright, let me get up and grab your leash.” Bella gets up out of bed and slips on a pair of worn blue jeans and an Alice Cooper t-shirt she bought at a thrift store.

She puts her tennis shoes on and grabs Lobo’s leash. Selina said she didn’t need to use a leash, but Bella didn’t want Lobo to run off and get attacked by all the wolves on the ranch. She was still amazed that they didn’t attack the coyote or the border collie she met last night.

“Come on boy, let's go potty.” Bella attaches Lobo’s leash to his collar and walks out of the bedroom.

Bella covers up a yawn as she walks down the stairs and to the front door. She opens the front door and walk outside onto the front porch and saw Roxy and Waffle running around. She didn’t see any of the wolves “I guess I can let you play with them, Lobo.”

Bella lets Lobo off his leash and watches as he jumps off the porch and runs out into the huge yard. He starts playing with Waffle and Roxy. Bella watches from the porch as the three of them play.

The front door opens behind Bella and Haylee comes walking out with Trigger trailing behind her. Trigger runs and jumps off the porch and starts playing with the other animals. Bella turns and spots Haylee watching them play.

“You’re up early, Haylee.”

“I’m always up before anyone else, except Selina and my grandpa.” Haylee watches as Trigger nips Lobo and runs off.

“Why are you always up before everyone?” Bella was curious.

“Because I feed the animals before I go to school. Besides, Aunt Barbara, grandpa, and my big brother Chayton is up right now with Aunt
Gina, Uncle Arnold, and my cousins in the kitchen.” Haylee smiled when she noticed how Waffle was chasing Trigger.

“Your grandfather is here now?” Bella was surprised that Julia’s father was back.

“Yep, and the men who hurt my mother are going to feel grandpa’s anger.” Haylee knew what her grandpa was capable of.

Bella thinks about what Haylee just said. She remembered Julia telling her one time that her father was a very dangerous man.

“Is there any word about your mother, yet?”

“You’ll have to ask my grandpa. He would know since Selina isn’t here.” Haylee watches the four animals play.

“I’ll do that. Well, I better feed Lobo, before he decides to chase after a rabbit.” Bella starts walking down the step and over to her jeep. She opens it and pulls Lobo’s dish out. She puts his food in it.

Bella turns around and whistles for Lobo. She spots him stopping and running over to her.

“You can feed him up here, next time.” Haylee looks over towards Bella.

“Thanks, Haylee.”

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A tail to tell & things to be dealt with

Samantha Heart's picture

This is the order of the day, that is all.
Well not quite all but yes Jack has to tell everyone of his rebirth that will take a while as he will also have to tell a bit about Cheshire as well, but thats HER story to tell. Also there are two bad guys to be dealt with under the horse barn. Now Cheshire might get the pleasure of torturing them,, & unfortunately Hatter isn't there to help with the job. Its her favorite past time roasting nuts with a blow torch after all. Well besides taking care of her baby daughter that is.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Gathering the family to protect them

BarbieLee's picture

While their enemies are still out there and no one knows who may be next on the kill list, it's time to bring everyone closer to home. The biggest mistake most gangs make, and this is a gang who tried to kill Julia, they think they are invincible. Everyone will be scared of them. Jack's family and those he associates with are top predators. Obviously the crew who attacked Julia didn't do their homework. But then they never do.
Hugs LadyDragon
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl