County Sheriff -11- Time for a change - Part 1 of 2

Printer-friendly version

Christmas came and went in a flash. The county workers did a sterling job in keeping the main roads clear of the snow that started falling on Christmas Eve and didn’t give up until the 27th.
The snowploughs had kept the interstate just about passable but thankfully most folk who had to travel had taken heed of the weather warnings and had completed their journeys well before the storm hit us.

The blizzard dropped almost a foot of the white stuff yet by New Year's Eve, it had almost all melted. I had to wonder if this was a sign of the changing climate. In my memory, if we got more than a light dusting of snow before Christmas, that was it until the March ‘Melt’ when many small creeks and rivers would flood with the meltwater. In recent years the weather seemed to be either full on or full off with nothing in between.

Because things were quiet and I’d given the rest of the team as much time to be with their families as possible, I had time alone in the Office to think about the future, my future and that of Kelly and Ma.

Come the election the next November, I will have been Sheriff of Custer County for ten years. Every two years, I stood for re-election and since I’d come into the post I’d been returned unopposed.

Kelly saw that my mind was pre-occupied and gave me space. That was why I loved her so much. She was very much like me in that we mulled over things in our minds and when the time was right, we’d talk them over with the people around us.

The first decision I had to make about standing for re-election. The episode with Walt and the Feds had caused me to question my desire to be Sheriff. While we were left alone and able to do our own thing, it wasn't so bad but when the people from out of state or region got involved things inevitably went wrong. I wondered if I was getting too cosy in my little domain?

What made things easy in one respect was that Sue-Ellen would be a more than capable replacement for me. She’d proved that beyond doubt and I’d told her many times that she’d make a great Sheriff but I wondered if she was starting to think that I was never going to retire.

The subject of retiring from my post and what to do after was uppermost in my mind. There was no way that I could settle down and raise a few horses. I’d been in law enforcement almost all my adult life. The same went for Kelly.

Kelly was uppermost in my thoughts. Ma wasn’t far behind.

Despite us having a new AC system installed this past spring, the summer heat at home had been depressing and all the indications were that it was going to get worse. Winters were seeming to be warmer and despite record snowfalls in the last decade, it mostly didn't last very long. The months of snow that I'd experienced as a child were long gone.

It seemed that when we got rain these days, it would come down like you were standing under the most powerful of all power showers for hour after hour. Then nothing for weeks. This was playing havoc with crops. The local Farmers had all built extensive rainwater collection ponds in the past few years. The old ‘little and often’ picture was long gone.

My dreaming about now and the future was interrupted by the Radio.

"Sheriff, do you copy?"

The call was coming from Kelly.

She was out with a gang of State Employees who were repairing a bridge after a Parcel Delivery Truck had struck it just before the Holidays. The was a lot of black ice in the area at the time, so we didn't make a big song and dance about it.

I’d decided on a break from the almost endless paperwork and was parked up close to the truck stop on the Interstate. The road was open but very quiet. It was the calm before the storm. In less than a day hundreds of thousands if not millions of families would be heading home after the holidays.

“Kelly. I copy. What’s up?”

“A Blue Corvette with Ohio plates was clocked by my speed trap at ninety-eight.”

The workers had set up a work zone with a 40mph speed limit to protect the workers. To enforce it, she'd set up a radar-controlled speed trap.

“It is coming in your direction.”

"Thanks, Kelly. I'll be on the watch out. Sheriff Out!"

The Corvette was heading west and would soon be out of the state and my jurisdiction. I could not outrun it in my SUV so I put in a call to the state Troopers in the adjoining state.

“Hello. This is Sheriff Matt Beecher from Custer County. Can I speak to Trooper Martin?”

My call was put through.

“Hiya Frank. Long time no see eh?”

“They are all well thanks.”

“This isn’t a social call. We have a work crew on the Interstate about six miles from the state line. The speed trap clocked a Blue Corvette with Ohio plates doing 98 in a 40 work zone. I won’t be able to catch it in my SUV so I wondered…?”

“You do? That’s great.”

I’d been looking out of the SUV window and down onto the Interstate all the time I’d been on the call.

“It has just passed me. I’m at the last intersection before the state line. It was doing around the hundred mark. The driver is sure in a hurry.”

“No Frank. You guys can take all the credit. This one is on me. Think of it as a late Christmas Present.”

“Give my love to Donna and the kids.”

“Cheers Frank. Bye.”

I’d handed the problem over to our neighbours over the State Line. They could take the credit for the stop. He had a patrol about 10 miles up the road. They were doing much the same thing as Kelly, supervising a road repair crew. If the Corvette went past them at speed they had the resources to stop it long before it reached Denver. They often returned the favour to us. That’s what country policing is all about. None of this need to know parochialism rubbish that the Feds seem to delight in.

I’d miss that when I retired.

I stopped dead. Had I just decided to retire?

I sat back and thought again.

It sure looked like I had made the decision and it didn’t feel bad. Not bad at all.

The more I thought about it, the more comfortable I was with the decision. All I had to do now was tell everyone.


That night in bed, I said to Kelly.

“I’m not going to stand for re-election.”

She giggled.

“I knew straight away when I got back from work that you’d sorted out whatever it was that had been bothering you since the new year. Your body language was different.”

“Yet you didn’t press me to say something?”

She gave me a very welcome kiss.
“I knew that you’d tell me when the time was right. With Ma around it isn’t easy so I guessed that it would be about now and it seems that I was right.”

“You were. Aren’t you bothered about my decision?”

“Why should I be? Sue-Ellen is the right person to take over. The rest of the team know that she’s your preferred replacement and they don’t have an issue with that. They don’t have any of those ‘I ain’t working for no woman’ hangups. I saw plenty of them when we got our first female Precinct Captain. About 30% of the detectives put in for a transfer on the first day. They'd all worked for her as their Lieutenant without problem but there was no way that they were going to accept her as their Captain. The Chief of Police came down and read everyone the riot act. They could resign but no one was transferring out of the Precinct. Three old guys put in for retirement but the rest had to suck their pride and accept the situation. They weren't missed as they were mostly deadweight and marking time to maximise their pensions."

Then she said,
“It was working for Captain Markowitz that persuaded me it was time to come out of the Closet.”

“For that and despite what happened before you came here, I’m glad that you did.”

Kelly gave me another kiss.
“You are so nice to me.”

“I have to be nice to you what with your left hand where it is at the moment!”

We both laughed.

“Ok, so you are not standing for re-election. What’s next for us?”

“I was thinking of moving somewhere a bit cooler. Last Summer was the worst ever for heat.”

“At least it isn’t humid like New York. That place is just sticky.”

“That’s not as bad as Miami,” I joked.
“One time I got off a plane there and had to walk across the tarmac to the terminal. It was only fifty yards but by the time I got inside my shirt was wet through.”

“So somewhere cooler but not so humid then?”

“Possibly. But it is early days yet. Not a word to Ma though.”

Kelly laughed.
"She knows you have come to a decision. She told me while you are out with the horses. My guess is, that she'll be expecting you to tell her whatever it is before the end of the week."

I sighed. Ma was always able to read me. If what Kelly said was true then I had better get my ‘exit stage left’ speech ready sooner rather than later…


I managed to evade Ma for three days. She came back from her weekly Bingo at the ‘Old Folks Home’ in a good mood.

“I won twenty bucks on the last full house of the day so don’t you think it is time to give me your bad news to balance it out?”

I’d only taken one bite of the meal that Kelly had prepared when I got the ultimatum from Ma.

I was about to say something when Ma put up her hand.
“Don’t even try to fob me off with some rubbish. I can read you like a book and I’ve always been able to do that as you well know.”

I looked at Kelly who seemed to be enjoying my discomfort.

“Ma, I’m thinking of not running for Sheriff in November and before you ask, Kelly knows.”

Ma laughed.

“Is that all?”

That hurt.

“No Ma, it isn’t all. I’ve been thinking about moving somewhere a bit cooler. Last summer was awful even with the new Air that we installed. You felt it as well. If we go then we want you to come with us.”

“But this place? My friends?”

“Ma,” said Kelly.
"Even I found the heat bad and I'm used to heat and humidity in New York. You said yourself over the holidays that the climate is far more unpredictable than it used to be. I've seen the old photos and I have to agree. Somewhere a bit cooler, more temperate would be my preference but where that is, I don't have a clue."

“I was thinking somewhere not far from the ocean,” I said adding to what Kelly was saying.

"I went by Greyhound to Florida once and it was awful. Hot, humid and full of old people and Canadians. Then there are the Hurricanes. I do not want to try to … Well I just don't want to experience one like I just don't want to leave here anytime soon," said Ma.

Ma stood up and went off to watch some TV. As far as she was concerned, the matter was closed for today at least.

Kelly and I did the dishes without saying much. We both knew that we’d have a hard time persuading Ma to leave her home, her friends and the only place she’d ever lived.


Kelly and I had decided not to tell the team about the possibility that I wasn't going to stand for re-election in November until Easter. However, as they say, the best-laid plans and all that stuff things got messed up with the arrival of a stranger in town.

I was with Kelly out on the Interstate supervising the recovery of a Semi that had run off the road and overturned. The heavy lifting crew from Denver had been called in when we realised that the total vehicle including load weighed close to ninety thousand pounds. None of the local recovery people could handle that sort of dead weight.

Luckily, the whole rig was off the paved highway but even so, we had to close one lane and put in a speed restriction, and a radar speed trap.

The trailer from the crashed rig had just been righted when the radio came to life.

“Sheriff, do you copy?”

Sue-Ellen was manning the office that day.

“I copy Sue-Ellen.”

"Sheriff, we or rather you have a visitor. A, Mr Rieck. He’s a lawyer from Frisco.”

"Does he say what he wants? We are going to be tied up here for another couple of hours. By the time we get back to town, it will be after three."

“He says that’s ok as long as there is somewhere, he can stay tonight and that he needs to speak to you and Kelly in private.”

“Can you get him a reservation at the Motel on the Interstate? As he’s a lawyer, can you try to get him one of the suites?”

“Wilco Sheriff.”

"Sue-Ellen, I have no idea what he wants from us. To the best of my knowledge, neither of us has ever been to Frisco."

“His business card says that he is a ‘Probate’ specialist.”

“I’m still none the wiser. We’ll get back to town as soon as we are free here. Sheriff out.”

I wandered over to Kelly who was monitoring the recovery of the tractor unit. I could see that it was very badly damaged. It could even be an insurance right-off from the damage to the chassis that had been caused by the rocks that had gotten in its way.

The driver had reported that the nearside front tire had blown out. The debris field and the skid marks on the road seemed to bear that out.

I didn’t tell Kelly about our visitor until we were on our way back to town.

“We have a visitor in town. He’s a probate lawyer from California. He wants to speak to both of us.”

I waited for Kelly to react.

"Don't go all silent on me, Matt Harker!"

I laughed.

“I was waiting for you to say something like ‘I don’t know anyone from California’.”
“I don’t so what about you?”

“Same here. I’m totally in the dark about why he’s come all this way to speak to us. Don’t they have phones or email in 'SillyCon' Valley?"

Kelly saw right through my feeble attempt at a joke and made a point of ignoring it.

“Whatever it is, it must be important. From my experience, city-based Lawyers don’t like travelling. There was one I often encountered back east who came from Queens who’d decided that he’d never set foot in New Jersey or on Staten Island in his life. He’d simply pass on any potential clients from outside the four boroughs of NYC.”

I smiled at Kelly before replying.
“Yeah. Lawyers are a breed apart. Sometimes and after a particularly bad encounter with the breed, I wonder if we should stop them from breeding just to preserve the gene pool of the human race.”

It was Kelly’s turn to laugh.
“Who’d make all the laws if there were no more Lawyers? With no laws, then we’d be out of a job!”

That put an end to that conversation but I could tell from the frown on Kelly’s face that she was thinking about what business could a Frisco probate lawyer want to discuss with even one of us let alone both of us.

[to be continued]

up
346 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, Well

I'm gonna miss the sheriff. Or am I?

And does Walt have a blue corvette now?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

And here I thought I had dibs

Rose's picture

And here I thought I had dibs on the first comment. Sigh...

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Why does it matter?

Seriously, what special importance is attached to having the first comment? Is there a leaderboard somewhere that tracks these things?

Honestly, I'd rather be the 30th commenter and have something worth saying than to post the first comment that says "I posted the first comment!"

I also went back and made a correction so now we both show the same time. You can pretend we tied. Or if it really matters I can "correct" something and put my posting time after yours. Would that help?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I was simply joking.

Rose's picture

I was simply joking.

No, it's not important. I'm very sorry if my having fun bothered you. It was certainly not my intention.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I think Karen is having fun joking too.

WillowD's picture

If we start having contests I think I'll pass on trying to get the first comment in.

But I'd be happy to compete in the "most comments under any given post" category. There are a number of stories on BCTS that I keep re-reading once or twice a year, leaving a trail of new comments in my wake.

Unless someone beat me to it

Rose's picture

Unless someone beat me to it while I was reading, I get first comment.

A probate lawyer? So someone has died, but why speak to both of them?

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Play nice children...

The question is who has left who, what.
Someone die in Kelly's family and leave them an old house?

Lawyer meme

Well, I did agree to that meme when I was pre-adult but now that I am far older I must protest and have come to the conclusion that politicians cum oligarchs are far worst, past administration in the US has been a prime example of how much evil can be done given enough power. Whenever money is involved with those folks, far more so than even the greed of the opposition (which is not small by any means by any means) they are pure evil. Think about it, they acted so badly that they even made the other party look like choir boys/girls, will wonders never cease.

Not Necessarily

joannebarbarella's picture

A probate matter specifically concerning Matt or Kelly. It could be someone in the jurisdiction. Still, it's a cliffhanger, but you don't need a cliffhanger to get me to read the next episode.

I always enjoy the County Sheriff stories and I hope you find a way to continue them if and when Matt retires.

But Why Would The Lawyer...

...need to talk to both of them if that were the case?

Eric

Me either.

WillowD's picture

Country Sheriff is one of those stories that bring a gleam to my eye whenever a see a new post. No cliff hangers needed to get my attention.

I'm still near the beginning in reading an Asian web novel with a mere 2200 chapters in it. So this page has been open in my browser for a while, waiting to be read. I finally broke down and took a quick break from my novel.

This is a great story. And brings up some interesting possibilities. Are these stories coming to an end? Will they continue but with the location changed? Or will there be a whole new set of stories in a totally different setting barring a few of the main characters?

For now only the author knows for sure.

Good to read more from the

Good to read more from the Sheriff; looking forward to part two.

Who can move?

BarbieLee's picture

Kelly is a city girl gone country. Matt is a country boy and going city isn't easy. It's easier to accept more space around one's self than it is to accept less. I'd slit my own throat if I thought I had to live in a city. God loves me, even in the military I lived off base in the country. Detroit I lived in the country before the urban building took it in. Mother Nature changes the climate. Winters that never ended and never ending snow. Winters of no snow or at most a few inches. Summers of 118 degree days and summers of never getting above 96. Those who go from cocoon home, car, office job are easily led into whatever tales of climate change are spun.
Love your story telling Samantha. But you already know that. Of course you had to toss in the lawyer and a pregnant pause before you let the rest of us in on what is unfolding.
Hugs Sam
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it as time will come to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

More space

WillowD's picture

I agree about it being easier to accept more space than to accept less. But it all depends on how you define space.

I grew up in small town Ontario. Almost everyone was white Anglo-Saxon English from the same culture. When I started university I was suddenly surrounded by so many new cultures to explore and so many new clubs and activities to join. And the libraries had a much broader range of fiction and fact books. Afterwards, when I moved to Ottawa I got involved in folk dancing from a number of cultures. I got involved in those cultures to a far more intimate degree than just going to try out a new ethnic restaurant. My emotional space was so much bigger than before. For me, moving to the big city was so much bigger than before.

Of course, for Kelly and the sheriff, they have intimate knowledge of and respect from the entire county. Emotionally, this is a MUCH wider area than just living in a physically huge area in the middle of nowhere. It won't be easy for them to find a new place elsewhere where they won't feel hemmed in more.

Making a good stab

at the most comments on a single story record :)
Keep up the good work! Your comments are appreciated.

We can always hope that there is a correlation between the number (and content) of comments and Samantha's willingness to sate our cravings.

County sheriff

First guess is Walt settled in Frisco and his past caught up with him. Maybe he had relatives out there Ma never mentioned and he'll hear about them now. A probate lawyer suggests an inheritance. Guesses for that would be either a bar, or a new relative as a long shot. I wonder if Walt used his name and address with one of his Ladyfriends. Of course they could move to San Francisco and open up a Private Eye agency with a tough gal with a shady past named Samantha Spade. I have enjoyed the County Sherriff series greatly which leads to the crazy guesses of course, and I hope to see many more episodes.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

My first thought

Sammi's picture

Probate Lawyer, both Matt and Kelly required

went all the way back to the Wise Guy that turned up in the drug lords BMW, that was loaded with cash, drugs and money, that he'd stolen when disturbed during a tryst with the drug lords wife.

If memory serves, he tried to blackmail Kelly, and they sent him on his way in an old junker, and they reported the car as dumped.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Thanks for all the comments

and the speculation about what happens next.

Walt has no part in this tale.
Samantha.

A San Francisco Lawyer???

The San Francisco Bay Area encompasses nine counties and about 7,000 square miles, quite a bit of it rural. So thee may be some possibilities for Matt and Kelly there. It is also possible that the lawyer represents an estate with property in the more rural counties to the north.

Since whatever the lawyer will say results in Matt making his retirement announcement before Easter, it is obvious a relocation is in the works.

Neither Matt nor Kelly should have any trouble finding work in law enforcement in California (there are many LGBTQ friendly departments and California law prohibits LGBTQ employment discrimination) should they so choose; working private security is a possibility but a private investigation service would be more problematic as they would be coming into an area where they had no working knowledge of the area and people and more importantly, no contacts/ informants.

As long as "The Adventures of Matt and Kelly" continue, whether it is California, Custer County or somewhere else, I will be happy.

Wow!

The response to this episode of 'County Sheriff' has been fantastic. I didn't expect this at all.
Thank you to all who have commented so far.
Ok, confession time.
I had been thinking about ending this series but I guess that I'll have to think again.

Thank you.
Samantha

Frisco

As a resident of the Denver area (who grew up in the Los Angeles area), I am a little confused. There is a fairly well known town of Frisco in Colorado (near Breckenridge), so when I saw where the lawyer was from - and given where the story takes place - I assumed he was from there. When they started talking about California it took me a bit to jump to San Fransisco.

Jorey
.

Frisco CO

Frisco CO would be a great place for them to retire, Cool summers, winters no worse than Kansas.

DJ

Welcome to Texas

Wanting coastal, rural, not hot. Probably coming into property just off the North Dallas Tollway.

Maybe someone passed

Samantha Heart's picture

And left Matt & Kelly a place in Frisco.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Probate lawyer and Canadians

WillowD's picture

For a probate lawyer to travel this far there is probably something really wealthy and/or powerful at stake. Otherwise letters and phone calls would be more likely. Or a visit from a private investigator if the lawyer is seeking information.

Given that the lawyer wants to see both of them and the two of them only met a few years ago I would say that this event is happening because of one of the investigations they were involved in. As for whether they are getting a bequest from a will or the lawyer just wants information? Who knows? (Well, besides SamanthaMD of course. And even she may not know because she commented that she was planning to end the series but now she is thinking of changing her mind.)

"full of old people and Canadians". Snerk. Yup. A lot of us richer older Canadians do like to head to Florida for the winter. I wish I qualified for the "richer" part. I've got the "older" part down pat.