The Shop at the End of the Road (2)

Printer-friendly version

Copyright © Tracy Lane, 2003/2021.

THE SHOP AT THE
END OF THE ROAD


up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

We can but dream.

Where all else is painful reality all we have left is dreams.

bev_1.jpg

At Thirteen

joannebarbarella's picture

I would have taken the gypsy's bargain without hesitation.

Hold on there....

Snarfles's picture

If Robbie doesn't remember being Robbie, and simply ceases to exist... Isn't that murder?

More like suicide...

Robbie chose to step through the veil of his own free will.

The "Solution" Here...

...seems to bring us to the real-life question as to whether a severely mutated or impaired fetus should be brought to term, or aborted to save it from a life of pain and misery -- and if so, where the line should be drawn. In this story, the line seems to be drawn to include the transgendered, asserting that it's better, at least to Felicity and her superiors, if Robbie had never existed -- and if the deal is legitimate, better for Robbie as well. And the deal does appear to be legitimate; at least, Felicity doesn't seem to be manipulating the Tarot cards to reach a dishonest conclusion, though that's not quite as clear here as it was in the original one-part version I commented on a week or two ago; there she seemed more surprised at what they portended than simply resigned to it as she is here.

Let's just say I have some trouble with that concept, despite the author's skill in presenting the story.

Did that make it unenjoyable to me? I'm not sure. In at least one sense it clearly did, but in thinking about it, that may simply show that I'm not really a fan of this (gothic?) kind of story.

Eric

It's a dark fantasy...

..and not all fairy tales conclude with happy endings.