On the Highway Chap. 4

Printer-friendly version

Jochen glances back behind him at Sidney’s sleeping form. She was curled up under the covers on the bed in the sleeper area of the cab. Tatiana in research had intercepted a report from a State Trooper of two cars involved in an accident. The location wasn’t far from where he had picked Sidney up on the highway. She was going to do more research into who was involved and who the cars belonged to.

Jochen presses the auto-drive button and lets go of the steering wheel. He searches through his music playlist and selects one. He plays the music but keeps it low so as not to wake Sidney. They had left the base at four in the morning.

There were a few things he had to get help with, for Sidney. She may have a female body, but there were certain things that girls learn from their mothers as they grew. Some of the women at the base took Sidney and helped her learn as much as she could before they left.

They were deadheading to a manufacturing facility that Blake medical owned. They were to pick up the load there and take it to the Eastern distribution hub for Blake Medical. The manufacturing facilities were only a day's ride from the base, so that part wasn’t too bad.

Jochen grabs a cold coffee from the mini frig in Matilda. While he is enjoying the cold coffee, he checks Matilda’s system. Everything comes back all green. A big smile appears on his face as the Gambler by Kenny rogers starts playing. He plumes forgot that he had that song among the many mp3 he has collected and bought over the years.

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way, they held their eyes
So if you don't mind my sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

Jochen was on the perfect pitch as he sang along to the song. He may have grown up in Australia, but he wishes he had been born during western times. He leans back in his seat and disengages the auto-drive system. There’s a slight switch as the system switches over.

Jochen continues to listen to his music as Matilda travels down the interstate. He wonders who Sidney use to be and why she can’t recall who she is.

“What time is it?” Sidney wakes up and spots that Matilda was traveling on a busy interstate.

“It's ten in the morning, Sidney. You’ve been asleep for the last six hours.”

“I was tired.” Sidney moves to the passenger seat and looks out the front window.

She was still wearing the pink pajamas she had gone to bed in. She covers up a yawn as she leans back in the seat and puts her feet up on the dash.

“Feet on the floor, Sidney.” Jochen had watched as Sidney put her feet on the dash.

“Yes sir.” Sidney folds her legs under her and sits in the seat Indian style.

Jochen just shakes his head. He had a big grin on his face.

“How much longer do we have before we arrive?” Sidney was curious.

“We should be at the manufacturing facilities by tomorrow morning. After that, we have a two-day journey to the Eastern hub.”

“Aren’t you required to take time off?” Sidney had read the rules for truckers, while at the base.

“That’s the thing about Matilda being able to drive herself. I can record that I took some rest time and still let her drive.” Jochen liked the fact
Matilda could drive herself.

“Oh, isn’t that sort of cheating?” Sidney looks at Jochen with a puzzled look on her face.

“Not really, considering now a lot of companies are switching to self-driving trucks and they don’t have to follow the same rules as human drivers.” Jochen knew Blake Industries have already perfected the self-driving software.

“Are we going to stop for lunch?” Sidney was feeling a little hungry.

“Ah! Now the truth comes out. Yes, we can stop for lunch. There’s a nice truck shop on this route that serves the best comfort food you have ever tasted.” Jochen liked Rosie’s truck stop.

“I don’t know if I have ever tasted any comfort food, before.” Sidney hated the fact that she couldn’t recall anything about her past. It was frustrating and she wanted to know, why.

The next few hours, Sidney changes into some normal clothes in the back of the cab. Once she was changed into some normal clothes. She sits back down in the passenger seat and starts reading a story on a Fire Kindle Jochen bought for her when they went shopping.

Around two in the afternoon, Jochen pulls into Rosie’s truck stop. The place was busy as Jochen parks Matilda away from all the traffic.

“Alright, we're here.” Jochen looks over towards Sidney.

“Good, my stomach was starting to growl.” Sidney grabs her purse and slips on her shoes. She was wearing a pair of faded blue jeans and a nice blouse.

Once Jochen climbs down from Matilda. Jochen opens a hidden panel and type in his security code. He closes the panel afterward.

“Did you just activate Matilda’s security systems?”

“Yep. Now, let's go and put some food in you.” Jochen starts walking towards the entrance of the restaurant.

Sidney just smiles as she follows Jochen towards the entrance. As she walks beside him, she just stops when a black SUV drives in front of them. A memory flashed inside her head.

Jochen notices Sidney stopping all of suddenly. He was watching her eyes and notices she was staring at the black GMC SUV that just passed in front of them.

“Did that SUV just trigger a memory?”

“Yes, but I can’t make sense of it.” Sidney looks at Jochen with a confused look on her face.

“Just think about it and we’ll talk about it after lunch.” Jochen figures if Sidney thinks about it, it might come back to her.

“Okay.” Sidney felt that the flash of memory she had, was important to her, but why?

She follows Jochen into the restaurant.

Song Lyrics By Kenny Rogers, The Gambler

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Minor cliff hanger

WillowD's picture

I can just hear the music as the "Tune in next week" message appears, followed by the credits.

Thanks for the chapter.