On the Highway Chap. 7

Printer-friendly version

“Jochen, what just happened?” Sidney was concerned after the clear dome opened up.

“I’ll explain in a few minutes, Sidney. Just stay here in Matilda, while I find out more about these attackers.” Jochen grabs his stunner and climbs out of Matilda.

He walks over to the first MRAPs that had attacked the convoy. The driver inside was knocked unconscious. There were two others inside with him. He checks them out and notices they all had the same tattoo brand on their upper arms. He snaps a picture of it and sends it to the ranch.

He feels the wind pick up as a Blake Medical Emergency helicopter lands. He watches as a dirty blonde hair woman in her mid-thirties jumps out along with several other people.

“I have three unconscious attackers over here. Make sure you secure them, before transporting them.” Jochen waves the doctor down.

Dr. Franklin saw a trucker wave at her and her team. She walks over towards him “you said there are three attackers in there?”

“Yeah, be careful. The driver is unconscious and is going to need medical attention. There are two others inside with him. They are unconscious inside. As for the ones in the other MRAPs, you’re going to need body bags for.”

“Alright, I’ll get my people on it.” Dr. Franklin motions to some of her people.

Jochen walks over to the fallen microwave unit that fell off the Humvee. He takes pictures of it and examines it for any makers marks. Which he finds none at all.

“Now, that is unusual.” Jochen knew things of this nature were either built by a person or sold on the black market.

Sidney watches from the safety of Matilda. She noticed the medical helicopter that had landed. She watches as all the medical people inside it, get out and search the vehicles Matilda rammed off the highway. State troopers and agency people start showing up.

Jochen walks over to talk with one of the government people that had shown up. He gives his account of what happened and how he answered the mayday. Afterward, he walks back to Matilda and climbs in.

Sidney kept watching everything from the safety of the cab. She wonders why so many people were showing up to ask questions. She also noticed some of the government people came over and took pictures of Matilda.

“So, are alright to leave?” Sidney was getting tired of just watching everything.

“We’re cleared to leave. Let’s get this load to the Eastern hub before my boss wonders what we are up to.” He puts Matilda into gear and starts driving down the highway. Traffic had backed up because of the fighting.

It takes Jochen and Matilda at least an hour to get through the backup and finally on their way. During that time, Sidney sat quietly in the passenger seat and watched everything. She hated not being able to remember anything of her life.

“Jochen, do you think I’ll ever remember what my life uses to be like?” Sidney looks at Jochen as he drove Matilda.

“To be honest with you, I don’t know. Your memory may come back. If it doesn’t, you can always make new memories.” Jochen wonders if
Sidney wants to know what her previous life might have been.

Sidney curls up on the passenger seat and sits quietly. She watches as Matilda heads down the highway.

“What do you think your boss is going to say about us being late?” Sidney looks over at Jochen.

A smile appears on Jochen’s face “I don’t think my boss is going to mind too much.”

After about six hours, Jochen pulls Matilda into the receiving bay of the Eastern hub. The security guard at the gate said that the warehouse crew has gone home for the night. Jochen drops the trailer off and makes sure it is secure, before leaving the yard.

“Is the trailer going to be, okay?” Sidney was concerned.

“It will be okay. There is a security guard at the Eastern gate and another one at the Western gate. There’s also two that patrol the grounds at night.” Jochen pulls away from the yard.

Jochen heads towards one of his favorite hotels. As much as he liked Matilda, he liked getting out of her for a while.

“Are we staying in a hotel room for tonight?” Sidney liked it when they could get out of Matilda.

“Yes, the place also has an in-house restaurant as well.” Jochen pulls up to the hotel and parks Matilda.

“I’ll be back.” Jochen hops out of Matilda and heads inside the hotel.

“Okay.” Sidney watches as Jochen heads into the reception area.

There weren’t many cars in the parking lot. The restaurant looked to be kind of slow right now. She wonders what she should get as she gathers her travel bag and unplugs her tablet.

Sidney spots Jochen coming out of the hotel with two credit cards in his hands. He hops back into Matilda’s cab “here you go.” As he hands Sidney one of the cards.

Sidney accepts the card “thank you.”

“You’re welcome, kiddo. Now, let’s go to our room and then catch a nice homecooked meal at the restaurant.”

“Sounds good to me.” Sidney smiles at Jochen and watches as he drives Matilda around to where their room was.

Jochen parks Matilda, so she is pointing her nose out. Once Jochen has Matilda parked the way he wanted. He shuts everything down.

“Sidney, can you grab my overnight bag, please?”

“Sure.” Sidney grabs Jochen’s overnight bag. She knew he had everything he needed already packed the way he wanted.

“Alright, Sidney. Let’s go and check out our room.” Jochen climbs out of Matilda.

Sidney gets out and makes sure her door is closed. Once she is out “okay, you can secure her, Jochen.”

Jochen opens a secret panel and activates Matilda’s security systems. Once the system is activated, Jochen closes the panel.

“Okay, let's go.” Jochen had already spotted the room they were in.

Sidney follows behind Jochen as they head up to the second floor where their room is. She watches as Jochen opens the door. As she follows Jochen into the hotel room, she notices it had a small kitchenette.

“Jochen, how long are we going to be in town?” Sidney takes the bed near the bathroom and kitchen.

“Don’t know, but it is nice we have the kitchenette.” Jochen had asked for a room with a kitchenette.

After Jochen and Sidney get settled in. They head down to the restaurant for a late dinner. Jochen orders a nice steak covered in mushrooms
and gravy. He looks over towards Sidney and notices she was eating fried chicken and was enjoying it.

“How’s your fried chicken?”

“Juicy and crunchy.” Sidney loved the crust on the chicken.

They return to their hotel room for the night. Sidney changes out of the clothes she had on and into a pair of pajamas. As soon as her head hits the pillow, she falls asleep.

Jochen watches as Sidney falls asleep. He wonders who she was before she was changed. He pulls his Fire Kindle out and starts reading a story he had started.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Who ever the mercs are

Samantha Heart's picture

But they are looking for something or someone. There will be LOTS & LOTS of questions asked & hopefully SOMEONE will answer most if not ALL of them.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.