The Patsy Project. Book 3. Positively Patsy Parts 29 & 30

Printer-friendly version

Positively Patsy Part 29

The next day we got the full band back in, staying in the studio. We set it up as it would be on stage and worked on the six solo acts, with the choir now standing back beside the band, half on each side. I must say that our stars were very good and looked good as well in their stage gear.

Justin had come up trumps with some lyrics and the places they fitted were in natural points of the songs. I could see our stars warming to the effect. I knew three of them had really only come into fame through video clips with sexy dancers and the other two were out front of four piece bands so having a wall of sound was a new experience for all of them.

Once we had the choir singing the backing I got the whole thing repeated with the choir swaying with the music to give a bit more movement. Then we did the blues songs with everyone on stage with the ‘Amazon’ singers behind the choir. Then ‘Amazon’ came forward with our instruments and did our three songs with the choirs dancing in place. I suggested that they could join in with the backing so we did the three songs again with them joining in. At the end of it I said that this is how we would work it on stage and to just pick up the songs as we went along.

I had heard our stars joining in through my buds so was secretly pleased at that. We had a break and I asked Jake how he had gone with the finale song and he said they had got it pretty well sorted. Riordan and Julia had also got some time in on it so, after the break, we formed up as we had been with the ‘Amazon’ songs and I told them that we would now have the first tryout for the finale song. Justin handed out the lyric sheets and I got the band to go through the tune a few times to get everyone familiar with it. We then did a run through with singing. It had been written so everyone got a solo with the choir supplying the underlying tune. There is an awful lot you can fit into a ten minute song.

At the end I looked at the choir masters and Justin, who were standing together by a side wall and was pleased to see them smiling. I looked at our stars who were also looking happy and the choir were all beaming, so I reckoned that it works. I commed my mic and told them that it was a good job, but we would run through it again and to remember that it is destined to be an anthem. I nodded to Ron to record and we sang it again with everyone doing their best for posterity. It sounded magnificent and when we finished I stood quiet for a few seconds and the turned around and clapped them all. Ron gave me the thumbs up so I asked them all to relax and take their buds out. We got some drinks and Ron played the last take back through the speakers. Justin came over to me and told me it was a number one with a bullet.

We called it a day at that and we all went back to our various residences to relax. Back in casual gear I got the buses to pick everyone up and we went out to dinner which I had booked. Alice and Sarah joined us and Sarah told me that a couple of our stars had contacted her to ask if I could write some songs for them as they had noted the two choral pieces, one of Ninas’, and all three ‘Amazon’ songs were mine and that they had been blown away by the finale. I had to say that Justin took my basic premise on that one and took it to the song it is today. I asked her if we could hire the Athenaeum one day to do a full stage dress rehearsal and she said she would get on to it.

I mentioned that the Nashville choirs’ parents and maybe some of the senior school would like to hear them. Roger came over and told me that he was honoured to have seen the show put together and that I had a real mastery of production. I told him that I just adjusted things until they looked good and he told me that what he said was exactly that. I told him we would do a proper show at the Athenaeum and to make sure the ‘support crew’ came along.

We gave everyone a day off and the day after that we got into the studio, again in full dress. The choir had their lyric books complete and we worked out a way for the stars to have theirs taken from them after the sixth song and able to be retrieved for the finale. In the morning we discussed aspects of the show and everyone had a say on any worries they had. We then had lunch and, in the afternoon, we did the full show with as much volume as we could get in the studio; with Justin and his stopwatch and a torch to give us the break times so we could make our moves. I thought that the concert goers would not find it strange as they are used to artists rearranging themselves between sets. I noticed Alice in the control room and, when we had finished, she told me that we had the Athenaeum for three days hence for the whole day. I told the group that they had two days off and we would be doing a live show in a local hall for the parents and helpers and senior school. They would be picked up in the afternoon for a rehearsal on stage before the show at night.

I took advantage of the couple of clear days and flew to New York to see Simon. He told me that the stadium was already fully filled so the show had better be good. I assured him that it would and invited him to come to Nashville to see a proper performance for families and friends. I told him that I had an idea to make a bit of money after the event. Roger had been taking lots of pictures and I wondered if we could add a DVD sleeve to the book cover and put the show there. We could then sell it through book shops, record shops or music stores. I said my store would take a hundred, sight unseen. He said he would talk to Roger when he was in Nashville.

We took a couple of hours and went out to the stadium for a look. It was certainly big and the stage area was in an ideal place. Simon said that there were about twenty vendors that had signed on as well as Meyers Music Mart and the company stalls. While we were there his phone rang. It was the TV network and the guy that we spoke to said that his bosses were getting the jitters about a completely new, and unknown, show going into prime time for three hours, even though the advertising spaces were fully subscribed. Simon told him to get down to Nashville the day after tomorrow as there would be a run through of the show on the stage of the Athenaeum that evening. The guy said he, and a couple of his more conservative bosses would see us then. Simon told him to bring a sound and lighting man with him to get an idea of what will be needed.

Back in Nashville the next day I went to see Roger again. I said that as the Athenaeum had once been a cinema, there were several projection windows at the back. I asked him if he would get Chris to set up cameras with long lenses to film the show for me, purely as a personal thing. I said that it may be an interesting keepsake for the artistes after the TV show. I told him I had hired twenty security guys and that, before the show I would go on stage and enforce a ‘no filming’ rule so that nothing gets to the social media before the TV event. That meant that Chris would have to keep a low profile. I then mentioned that Simon would be talking to him about distributing the book he would write and there would be a DVD of the show added inside the back cover. He got quite excited at that. Jim can over after I had finished talking to Roger and said that it seems that I was shaping up as quite the producer. It made me think a bit. I told him to critique my work after he had seen it the next day.

On the morning of the show we all went to the Athenaeum around mid-morning. Lucy had got all of the stage clothes cleaned. I was surprised when Annette and Maxine walked in. Annette had ten beauticians and a big box that contained fifty make-up kits. The troupe got up on the stage and we marked out the standing position, colour coded for each section. We had a catered lunch sitting in the stalls. The choir was getting a bit hyper so I got out in front and told them that tonight they were going to sing for friends and family so it will not be such a big deal. I told them that they had all worked hard and, this afternoon, we would do a full show for the supporters who were already in the building. “Remember” I said “Everyone here tonight has come to hear YOU sing. They are not here to run you down so make them proud of you.”

Part 30

While I was talking to them I noticed some movement up in the film windows so I gathered that Chris was setting up. Ron had done his usual magic and the PA was fed from two, twenty five channel, mixers and the master mixer had his digital recording system attached. Once we had finished our lunch, the caterer cleared it away and left. We got everyone into the dressing rooms, some having to take turns, to change into the stage clothes. Then Annette set up her beauticians and all of the girls got the treatment and the guys were given the once over as well. After that I walked out onto the stage and noticed that my security detail was in the auditorium so I waved for them to come to the front of the stage and told them that I was going to announce that the show must not be filmed as we did not want anything to go onto the social media as a spoiler for the TV event. I told them that a professional film crew would be in the projection room and I asked them to space themselves along the sides of the theatre and watch out for anyone trying to use their smartphone. We had saved the first two rows for the TV and other guests as it seemed that the mayor and some councillors wanted to come and I knew that Peter and his family were going to be here.

Once everyone was pampered and preened we got the choir in place for the first part. I asked them to hold until I made an announcement and walked to the front of the stage and said “Those of you who are in the auditorium are in for a special treat this afternoon. I ask you to refrain from trying to film or record the show now, or this evening. If our security detail sees you trying, you will be ejected from the building and your device will be held until after the TV event in two weeks.” I gave the small audience a steely glare and then smiled and turned to the stage manager to time us down.
He gave us ten seconds and counted down to go and the choir master held his hands up and started the first three songs.

I watched from the side and was feeling good about it. At the end of the set the stage manager said “Two minutes, change over.” I and our other additions walked to our places with Greg and me carrying our stools. We got ourselves comfortable as the stage manager counted down from ten again and at the go, our second choir master pointed to Greg and gave two beats with his hands and Greg started the classical guitar into and the choir came in after a few stanzas. I looked out at the audience as we were singing and I saw that everyone was looking at us intently. I imagine that it may have been the first time they had heard this style of music. For the second song I played my Fender with Greg adding a rhythm and we finished with the third song.

“Two minutes” said the stage manager and the choirs moved to each side of the band who took their places while Greg and I removed our guitars and stools and went to stand at our places with the choir. Peggy also joined us as she had a verse in the finale. At the go command, Jake and the boys started playing the first of Shalysas’ pieces and she came back onto the stage and sang her two songs. When she finished there was some applause from the small audience and then Jake played the opening riff for Barbreeza who also did her two songs. When she finished we got the two minute warning so relaxed a bit.

Looking out I could see a few more in the audience, mainly K Beat people. At the go command the band started Shantels’ music and she came out from the wings singing her song. Again, as she finished her second song there was a bit of applause as Yolandes’ music started and she came onto the stage for her two songs. After the two minutes we had Alletta, followed by Nina, a star in her own right. When the stage manager called his two minute warning I noticed that his voice sounded a bit excited. This break had Greg going to stand next to Jake with his tweaked Fender strapped on. Riordan and Julia went to one side of the band with Joanne and me on the other side. We had our guitars on and the two keyboards were set up.

It was always magic for me to hear Greg play the blues. I thought that it had always been part of his life and I could see that Jake had been bitten by the same bug. They did their two songs and, as the applause was dying down I started playing our first ‘Amazon’ song while Nina came out to the front of the stage to sing. It was amazing to hear as Jake and Greg were in sync with the lead breaks, which left me a bit on the outer but I tried to do my bit. We did our second and third song and, as the applause grew, the stage manager gave us the two minute warning. Peggy came forward to join us and our stars came out and stood with us in a line across the stage and, at the go command we started the final song. I had the idea that, as we moved into bigger buildings, with more amplification, the grander it sounded. When the last notes faded there was an outpouring from our smallish audience so we all gave a bow and those out front turned to applaud the choir and I beckoned for the two choir masters to take a bow. When the applause died down I thanked them all and said we would have a catered light dinner and make sure you don’t mess your clothes.

It was a bit of an anticlimax for the moment and I took my guitar off and went to give all the stars a hug, telling them that they were magnificent. They all told me that they wouldn’t miss it for the world and a couple asked when the next spectacular was due. I told them that it was not even on the radar. Down in the auditorium I saw that Simon had arrived and his smile said it all. Jim collared me and told me that a critique was not needed as I had nailed it first time. I thanked him with a peck on the cheek. I found the main security guy and told him that, as his crew had seen the show, they can watch the crowd this evening without distraction. He told me that they were all totally distracted with the first performance but would be totally professional this evening.

We had our catered meal and then all the Nashville choir went out to the foyer to greet their family and friends. Simon and I went out near the doors to wait for the TV guys and local dignitaries. Alice and Sarah came up to us to say hello and there was a fair crowd from K Beat with them. I started to worry that we would have enough seats for everyone. Chris came up and told me that the rehearsal was fantastic and he had got a lot of good footage. Simon looked at me with a raised eyebrow and I told him about Chris and his crew being up in the projection rooms with long lenses. He told me I was wicked and I said that it wasn’t the first time I had been called that.

At last, the TV guys arrived and Simon took control of their party while I waited for the Mayor and crew. They turned up eventually and I led them to the front of the stalls and the reserved rows. I could see the auditorium filling up so went back to the foyer to round up the remaining choir members and hustled them to the dressing rooms. We just needed a make-up touch up and it soon got to start time. We were going to start on the hour of seven and the stage manager was giving us a count down from thirty minutes out. We got the whole choir together in order and, at the five minute mark, walked them out to the stage to stand. I went out in front of the stage and told the audience that they were here as a special treat. I told them that the TV show would be in just over two weeks and that we would not allow any filming or recording to be made of this show and that the security guys along the side walls would evict anyone they saw with their phones out so to turn them off and put them away. I gave them a stern glare and the security guys looked like they meant business.

I walked off the stage as the count-down reached fifteen seconds and then it was on, again. There was much applause at the first break, more at the second and applause after each of the stars songs. When we got to the band playing the blues there was an audible gasp when Jake and Greg swapped lead breaks and applause while ‘Amazon’ came forward. At the end of the set the applause was now into being prolonged so I had to wave my hands to put a stop to it as we timed down to the finale. At the end we got a standing ovation, even the TV guys were smiling. I pulled Justin up on stage to take his own bow and he got a kiss from every girl on stage, much to his embarrassment.

Marianne G 2020

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As I observed with the last chapter......

D. Eden's picture

Patsy has now added Producer to her long list of accomplishments, not to mention that her reputation as a song writer just continues to grow. Anyone who hasn’t figured out that she is the force behind Amazon, the current show, and multiple careers, at this time must be blind.

I can’t wait to see what she gets into next!

It would be nice to see more of the relationship between Patsy and Joanne though. Patsy needs more of a life outside of work, and Joanne needs to be a bigger part of her life.

Great story Hon.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Roll of the Dice

Snarfles's picture

Too bad not all of us, can have them loaded so heavily.