Thanks Truck-kun For Making Me A Trader - Part 16/27

Printer-friendly version

This is a bad idea.

I know it is.

And even if I didn't, last evening Myra had said it often enough to me. I told her I can't let it rest. That doing this might uncover how I make my mark on this world. How to finally show Besona the middle finger.

But now, standing before the servant's quarters, I think Myra might be right. I've walked a dozen times past this building. Either with Pasus or later with Myra. But this time, I will walk into it. Explore what is inside. At least, I won't do it alone.

"Lillyn! Woah, you dressed up."

"Hey, Dera. I thought I might as well."

Yes, I am decked out the whole nine yards. The heavy version of my tunic and skirt. The one both sustaining personal shields and being able to create them. Two bracelets of shielding. As well as a belt that could create and sustain a shield. I even donned the cross-strap bra of the shieldmaiden. Yes, the monster bra that can make my breasts grow by nearly forty percent. Not that I intend to activate it. It's a mere precaution. At last, I have health-strider boots. Not the adventurer-type ones Dera is wearing. No, just the work-boots version. I doubt me stilting on high heels would be a good idea. And yes, I do count the four to five-centimeter heels as high.

"Great," Dera said. "But don't worry. My team will keep you safe. First, we have Rea. She's our healer and mage. Davan is a fighter specializing in evasion. He also looks out for traps and hidden passages. Not that there are any in the servant quarters. But the main mansion has a lot of them. And, at last, we have Balsar. He will be your bodyguard in there."

Well, just by the looks of it, I think Balsar will make a good job protecting me. Heck, the man is a giant and he lugs around a tower shield larger than most people's front door. Also, he carries a sword so broad it too might double as a shield. Not to mention it might make Maryn jealous. Not that she is here. She too would probably argue against this venture.

Davan has the typical look of a rogue. Not the most impressive body, bulk-wise, but he appeared fit and quick. But he had the looks to not just steal loot from hardened spaces, but also the hearts of women at any bar. And Rea. Well, she doesn't look like a mage or healer to me. Maybe all the fantasy films and books of earth lied to me all the time. No robes or capes. Instead, she wore tight-fitting leather armor. Just like Davan. If Dera hadn't said otherwise, I would have assumed she was a fighter too. At least the spellbook in her hands marked her as such. I could also see why Dera said Rea was interested in my special Enchant-Up bras. She didn't have much up top.

After a short meet and greet, Dera spoke up. "Everyone ready?"

Hell no, but this was my idea. Gotta stick with it, right? "Yeah."

Liar. Liar. Pants on fire. Well, skirt. But here we go. Dera was taking charge. Stemming open the large doors of the servant quarters. As she strutted in, I could see Davan looking. Not at the surroundings, but at Dera's butt. Guess high-heels and the sway that comes with them work on any male. Besonian or Earther. Not that Dera has that much of a butt. Mine are bigger. Shit, I hope Balsar isn't starring at mine instead of being cautious. Still, I better don't look back at the brute. He's right behind me and is supposed to keep me safe. Don't wanna give the wrong impression of me.

The first room was impressive. The ceiling is way up. Taking up the space of two floors. Below our feet is a carefully laid mosaic of different types of polished wood. Benches lined the room's opulent walls. I can spot two doors. Each beside a small reception.

"Through administration or storage?" Davan asked aloud. "Administration would be shorter."

"But also more cramped," Rea pointed out.

"Storage," Dera decided after a moment. "More space to fan out."

As we started walking towards the left door, Balsar must have noticed my roaming gaze. "Maynard assigned each guest a servant. If they wanted, they could come here and get theirs customized to their liking. Or pay some money to get additional ones assigned."

"Thanks," I said aloud with a nod. "What was that about administration or storage?"

"The building has two wings," Balsar rumbled from behind me, just as we walked through the door. Beyond was a large room that was roughly in the shape of an L. It also spanned several floors with parapets on each floor. It reminds me of a prison, but instead of cells, the walls were lined with alcoves. And in most of these alcoves Automata rested among stir-ups, machines, and tools.

"This is the storage," my bodyguard continued. "Don't worry, most Automata froze in the hardened space as idle. They won't react or engage unless they are disturbed. Here they were stored, maintained, or modified between assignments."

Shit. Double and triple shit! Just on this floor, I could see at least a hundred alcoves. Nearly two-thirds had occupants. This had been a stupid idea. If the other floors held as many alcoves then I could guess that there were over three hundred automata in the building. But at least there was a ray of hope. Or not, as Dera walked straight past it.

"Why aren't we taking the elevator?"

"They are broken down and hardened in that state. We have to take the stairs."

"Incoming!" Rea's shout made me turn my head forward. Just to witness a giant fireball impact with an Automata. Even as the fireball dissipated, two more Automata ran through the fading plume. One is immediately engaged by Dera who used her sword to wail on the servant. Said automata blocked with their bare arms. Not even caring that each hit by Dera carved deep gorges into their artificial flesh.

The second Automata tried to hit Davan who danced out of the way. Only striking back occasionally. I get the impression he mostly tried to hold the servant's attention, while Rea used smaller spells to dismantle the Automata step by step.

To be honest, the whole sudden clash made me stumble back. Right into Balsar, who still stood behind me.

"Don't worry, Miss Lillyn. They got this."

Right. Yeah. It looks like Dera's team has practiced working with each other. And in addition, I have Balsar to protect me and my shields to-

Oh, feakin' pile of shit. I forgot to activate my shields. Alright. For now, I guess I active those from my two bracelets and my belt. The tunic and skirt will be my reserve. Along with shield potions. And as a last resort, I still have my shieldmaiden bra. But for that, the shit really has to hit the fan.

"Rea, watch it!"

Dera's shout drew my attention back towards the battle. My friend had finished her fight. So had Davan and Rea. But the finishing strike was a spell too strong. Flinging the heavily damaged Automata into an alcove. As it sputtered the last signs of life, the one it had crashed into awoke to life. Stepping out and over its fallen comrade.

"Sorry!"

I can't tell if Dera heard her mage's apology. She and Davan lured the automata out into the open before tag-teaming in taking swipes and lunges at it. As Rea joined in with smaller strikes of her spells, the Automata quickly grumbled to the ground. Beaten and broken.

"Sorry, Rea," Dera said after taking a few deep breaths. "I know you want to help, but the last thing we want is triggering a collapse."

"I know. Sorry."

"Collapse," I ask Balsar behind me.

"If a hardened space is changed too much at once, it can trigger a collapse. Shifting it by force into a weaker state. With each collapse, the ability of a hardened space to regenerate diminishes until it vanishes completely. That would be the end of the hardened space."

"Wouldn't that be a good thing?"

"It would," Balsar agreed. "Except for us. You see, hardened spaces don't like change. If a collapse is triggered then all its residents try to stop it. To limit how much the hardened space collapses. Look around you. All those Automata around you are idle. They all would awake at once and hunt us down. Only elite teams trigger a collapse on purpose. And while the servants' quarters aren't the hardest as hardened spaces go, the sheer volume of available bodies makes a collapse a daunting task. Two groups tried so far to make it happen. Both failed."

"Stop the chit-chat," Dera yells to us. "We've got to move on."

"Wait!" I shout back. "You have a void-trader with you. The Automata you just defeated, I can void them for you. If you want. I'll even do it for free. Not taking a cut. As a bonus."

"Alright," Dera said with a grin. "Now you are talking."

What? Maybe Dera's group is taking higher risks than I thought. It is good to keep them happy.

Alright. With my part done, and my group a few hundred void-favors richer, it is time to move on. Of course, we don't come far. Just around the bend of the large room, another pair of Automatas are active. Both sweep the ground with worn-down brooms. In fact, they didn't even reach the ground anymore. The dust on the floor was only distributed by the footsteps of the automata. Not one swipe of a broom could actually be seen on the ground.

I felt a little guilty standing aside as Dera, Rea, and Davan did their work. Not to mention that the group was one fighter down as Balsar didn't even step one foot away from my side. The big guy looked like he could take on two of those Automata at once.

After voiding the latest pair of broken Automata, we moved on to the stairs. I thought now it would be a straight shot towards the top. Dera had told me we will find Maynard's workshop for everything related to Automata there. But, of course, nothing is as easy in this stupid world. Someone had barricaded the stairs from floor two to three. It looked sturdy too.

"Someone must have put up resistance as the space hardened," Dera explained. "The storage area has three stairways. We have to snake through each part of the staircases not blocked completely. It is the longer way, but overall safer."

The second floor had a lot less space than the ground floor. From the alcoves, it was maybe three meters to the parapets and the plunge below to the ground floor. A lot less space to navigate and fight. I have to trust Dera that she knows what she does.

"Hey. You!" The shout made me look towards one alcove with tools and body parts scattered around it. A man was pointing at us with a severed Automata arm. "You can't be here. This is a restricted area. Go, get them, girls!"

Just as three Automata stepped out of their alcoves, one missing an arm, a fireball exploded in the man's face. Throwing him back as charred flesh and knocked the automata back into their alcoves. Not for long. The servants got back up. As did the man who now resembled a piece of meat left too long on the grill.

"What the hell?"

"That's Clovast," Balsar rumbled from behind me. "One of those poor souls trapped in the hardened space. Pity him, for he has succumbed to the madness."

I won't lie, bile threatened to come up to my mouth. It is pure horror to witness a fourth-degree burn victim stand up and charge at us again. Waving a severed limp as a weapon around.

Dera and the rest of the team already had their hands full with three Automata when Clovast joined the fray. Part of me is split. Maybe I should send Balsar to help them. Maybe then-

Freakin' heck. Clovast just threw that Automata arm at me. I barely ducked in time.

"Damn!" Balsar said moments before pushing me to the side and against the parapet. To my horror, I saw that the arm had knocked over an Automata in their alcove. One that now stirred. As it got up, it bumped one more Automata who also awoke.

Balsar was already on the move while I was still stunned with shock. A quick run and he slammed his tower shield in one Automata. Pushing it back and trapping it in an alcove. Struggling to contain it in, he used his sword to keep the second Automata at bay. Or to run past him. To me.

Fuck! If they do I am toast. How long will my shield last? Better activate one more. Just to be safe.

"Lillyn, duck!"

I barely headed Rea's command when a fireball flew over my head. It slammed into the Automata who Balsar kept at bay with his sword. While it flew apart in pieces, it was temporary relief. As some of the debris impacted with another Automata and woke that one up. Still, it gave Balsar enough time to dedicate his full attention to the Automata he had pinned to the wall with his tower shield. Finishing it off just as the newcomer joined the fray.

A moment later, Davan rushed by me. Falling to his knees, he slid past Balsar. Striking the new Automata's feet and knocking it over. Giving Balsar the opportunity to impale it with his mighty sword.

Damn, we only reached the second floor and I already was a nervous wreck. Cold sweat drenched my clothes. More so than the actual fighters who barely looked winded yet.

"Lillyn, what did you do?" Dera asked before bursting into a fit of laughter.

Turning around, I saw Rea holding back laughter as well. At least all the foes behind them lay defeated. Confused, I looked to Davan and Balsar. Both gazes deftly riveted to my bosom.

"Oh, freakin' heck!" in my panic I activated the wrong shield. My brassiere of the shield maiden was active and did its job. All of it. My breasts had ballooned out to ginormous proportions. "Those are not forty percent. Damn, the bra was supposed to be my last resort."

"I don't mind," Davan remarked. Only to get an elbow into the rips by Balsar.

"Remember," Dera said and drew my attention again. "If you overcharge the shield you overcharge the growths enchantment."

"Just great," I pressed through my teeth. "Go laugh it up, why don't cha?" Surely my bosom was now close to eighty percent larger. Damn, my puppies are heavy too. I wish I could put them on a diet. But I better keep this up. To dismiss one shield just because it was embarrassing might cost me later. With my life no less.

"Actually, it might not be a bad idea," Dera said while dematerializing her armored top. "The upper floors are harder. Time to activate my own shield."

Dera's bosom expanded to an impressive size too. Not as big as mine, mind you. Hers still looked on the natural side. I felt like a cow with mine. And I think I can see stress lines in the fabric of my top where it's close to tearing. Great. Just great.

"Now we are talking," Davan added drily.

I didn't have to look at him to know he'll wear a smirk on his face. But I heard a smack and a yelp from him. Apparently, Balsar was more a gentleman than our rogue. But I couldn't help to notice the jealous look Rea gave her friend. She tried to conceal it, but it was obvious. Rea too wanted big sweater puppies. I doubt me saying they weren't worth the trouble would sway her.

"Alright. Enough starring and joking," Dera said with a strict voice that cut off all nonsense. "Time to move on."

We continued onward. Slowly. it wasn't even the Automata's fault that we progressed at a crawl. It was mine. Those damn breasts were heavy. And my defensive tunic and skirt added their own weight. I have to stop every few dozen steps and catch my breath. Did I mention I hate Besona? Believe me, I do.

At last, we arrived. The workshop of Maynard that old bastard. The others are not much worse for wear. Thanks to the health, mana, and shield potions I crafted on the fly. But I was drenched in sweat. I feel like I have run a marathon. Well, walked one. Same difference.

But the workshop took my breath away. In an entirely different meaning. This was clearly the workplace of a mad scientist. Or a perverted one. From what I knew of Maynard, both were the case. The room was large. Most of the walls were lined with workbenches. Tables were scattered around haphazardly. They all were buried under tons of tools and paper. Schematics and blueprints not just hung from the walls, but also covered the mess around them like tarps. Even the floor had a makeshift carpet of loose paper pages thrown around. One-quarter of the room was free of such. It was taken up by a large machine of unknown purpose. Of course, it drew my curiosity.

"Alright, Lillyn," Dera spoke up. "We are here. As agreed, you get first the pick at anything. What are you looking for?"

"Everything that looks remotely like research or blueprints. I need it all."

"And how will you carry that all out?" Davan asked. "Looks like you already haul around enough."

After a short glare at him, I materialized boxes. That's the advantage of being a void-trader. I can summon as much of a thing I want as long as I have researched it. As for hauling them out-

"I will fill our soul-inventories," I said out loud. Masking my annoyance as best as I could. "Part of the deal I struck with Dera is that each of you plays mule for me. Two of your soul-inventory slots are mine for the haul."

That shouldn't be so bad. While I had only three soul-inventory slots available, Dera assured me the others had more. Apparently, a soul-guide can increase the available ones in exchange for soul-flakes. That currency was as useful as void-favors. Maybe even more so. Considering what you could buy from it. Stats increase, more inventory, and most important of all, a body remodel. Though the last one was very expensive. On top, it was used to bring people back from the dead. Or at least those reduced to soul-crystals.

"Alright," Dera said into the round. "Get packing. Stuff all those papers in the boxes. If there is anything special, bring it to Lillyn. Remember, part of the deal is that she gets first the pick at anything."

It took barely a minute until Balsar cried out: "It is here." Handing a strange device to Dera. She in turn carried it to me. It was a large wooden board covered in runes and familiar designs in silver. Or the oversized version of it. So far, I have it seen only on my heavily enchanted clothes. What stood out were four clamps. Meant to hold something.

"What is that?"

"This is what we call a stasis charger," Dera explained. "Every void-trader should have one. You see, soul-crystals only last three to four rotations before their charge is used up and the soul slips into the final death. But this device can recharge a soul-crystal indefinitely. Even if we hadn't made the deal of the first pick this would have ended up with you. Adventurers gift it to void-traders. Those, in turn, can hold soul-crystals of fallen adventurers safely until the next soul-guide arrives."

"That's powerful. Thanks."

"You have no idea," Rea remarked. Coming over to explain herself more thoroughly. "Have you ever heard of the Belial?"

Can't say I have. After shaking my head, Rea fell into an impromptu dissertation. "On the eastern continent, adventurers explored a cave. Not a hardened space, mind you. What they found was a fault. Inside, thousands of soul-crystals in similar devices to this one. When they revived one soul they learned the history of an ancient race called Belial. They prophesied the end of the world as they knew it. So, they build a shelter that holds all the souls of their entire race. No one knows how many millennia they have waited in their crypt to be revived by races that rose up long after they have left the surface behind."

"If you travel east, you will, without a doubt, stumble onto them," Balsar remarked. "There are too many to be revived by the charity of the soul-guide guild. So those that have been, choose the life of an adventurer to gather soul-flakes. All to revive their long-dead families."

"Thousands are revived by now," Rea said as she took over again. "But they say it is only a small fraction of the souls still sleeping in the crypt as soul-crystals."

"A whole race, huh?" Looking down at the device, it somehow felt heavier than before. A means to save an entire race in a manner of speaking. "The Belial, do they look like us? Like humans?"

"Mostly," Rea said while motioning with her hand that her statement was vaguely true. "Most of their body is similar to ours, but their skin is dark grey and most have white hair. They are on the slender side. At least in most places. in one regard you would fit right in. They are known to have a big-"

Rea exaggeratedly motioned over her own breasts. Got it. Those ancient Belial were well endowed too. What is up with Besona? Big breasts here. Big breasts there. Big breasts everywhere! It is as if the whole planet has a fetish for big breasts. And it wants me to enable its kink.

"So, from what I hear, I should travel east next. There I wouldn't stand out as much."

My comment, as hoped, garnered me a few chuckled. With the stasis charger stowed away in my soul-inventory, we continued to search the workshop. Gradually it got tidied up. One could even see the floor below again. Now and then, they brought me enchanted equipment that they found. It was tempting to claim them. More items and more research beckoned. Still, I was here for a reason: Automata.

If I could elicit their secrets and revive them, I might have a killer product on my hands. Literally. Heck, I might even have the means to build an army. One that could back up Maryn in her quest to overthrow the western empire. I could market them as servants or bodyguards. Robots for everyone. Surely, that would make the void-trader relevant again.

So, as much as it pained me to do so, I declined every enchanted piece of gear. Rather opting for filling my soul-inventory slots, my own or borrowed, with more boxes of research and schematics. Hoping they might boost my void-assisted research to fruition.

While my hired team picked up the last papers around me, I stepped to the large machine. It looked futuristic. Once again reminding me that Besona is not just some fantasy world. They had advanced stuff. I just rarely was around civilization to notice it. I could see robotic appendages and machinery. Even what appeared as computer terminals. It took me only a few seconds to understand what it was.

It was a factory. Miniaturized to the best ability of Maynard. Why research Automata when I could have a scaled-down factory that could build them for me? I need to have that. Still, the piece of equipment was large. I remember Myra once said the amount one could put into a soul-inventory slot was limited by their highest magical stat. I had thirteen in void-magic. That's got to be enough.

Laying my hand on the cool metal of the machine, I started the dematerialization process with my mind. It works! The machine is losing coherence. Being sucked into my soul-inventory. One moment it was there, the next moment a quarter of the room is utterly empty. Only leaving a footprint in the dust.

"Lillyn!" Dera pushed me around. Pinning me to a wall. Her eyes were wide. I saw panic in them. "What the frack did you do?"

"I-"

Dera twirls around. Not even giving me the time of the day to explain myself. "Barricade the way to the storage area. Now!"

The others headed the order while I was still stunned. What the hell is happening? Nearly half the workbenches were piled in front of the door when something crashed into it from the outside. Then more impacts shook the pile-up. Now I saw them. Arms. Legs. Pushing through whatever hole they could find in the barricade. Beyond it, I could make out dozens of Automata trying to get in. An angry mob. Frenzied beyond reasoning.

"I don't understand." Did I say that aloud? Must have, as Dera spun around to me.

"It's a collapse, Lillyn. You triggered a freakin' collapse of the hardened space. I hope you are happy." She stomped to another door. Study, but still closed. As she opened it, I heard screams from behind it. "There is no other way. We have to go through the administration wing. Now, before those Automata break through the barricade and flood us with bodies."

We are going towards the screams of anger? That's nuts! But Dera, Rea, and Davan were already through the door. Balsar gave me a shove towards it just as a workbench was pushed out of the barricade. Noisily clattering to the ground. Right. It wasn't safe here either. Fumbling for a shield potion, I hurried after them. Couldn't hurt to prepare for the worst.

We arrived in a small hallway that branched to more workshops. Smaller and they might have once been more organized. Now they looked in disrepair too. Bodies littered the hallway. Human ones. Blood everywhere. Walking forward as fast as I could, I nearly slipped on one of those puddles. Maybe that is why Dera had taken the storage route. All those trapped humans massacred threatened to upheave my stomach. Now, we had no other choice.

Stairs! I hurry towards them. Downstairs I could hear fighting. Dera and the others fighting to make a path. Just as I step on the floor, a door to my left breaks open. A middle-aged man falls out. Crazed bloodshot eyes fixating on me. Lifting a wrench to carve in my head.

A massive sword cleaved into him. Balsar. Right, he was behind me. Playing bodyguard. His one swing slicing through half the man. Blood and viscera spewing anywhere. Thankfully, none come through to me. My shield caught it. Damn, they are really a lifesaver. Gotta keep them up. One more potion can't hurt. Or two.

"In here," Balsar yelled before shoving me into a small room. Looked like an office. My last glance in the hallway was one of horror. A mass of bodies pushing up the stairs. Mostly human, but also a few Automata. Everyone was retreating, except for Rea, who stood her ground.

Dera and Davan slid inside and threw the door closed. "Now!" Dera yelled.

The world exploded. Literally. I saw the door flying inward. Along with Davan who landed heavily on Dera. They only remained disorientated for a second, then scrambled to get up and out. Balsar heaved me up before I even could stomach what had happened. The hallway outside looked like a bomb had gone off. Which might actually have happened. In a small circle of still pristine hallway was Rea. Around her, the floor, walls, and ceiling was charred beyond recognition. Half of everything was still on fire. Body parts were scattered everywhere. I can't even tell what was human or Automata.

Rea was breathing heavily. Leaning towards the side. Whatever she had cast, it must have drained her beyond measure.

"Go!" Balsar yelled from behind me.

As I stepped into the hallway, Davan was helping Rea. Pulling her arm over his shoulder and keeping her up. Dera took a glance and then looked at me. "Davan and Rea are out. I've got to take the lead. Give me all the shield potions you can give."

I managed to craft a dozen when new arrivals came up the stairs. And down. Balsar suddenly was swarmed as well. Thankfully, no one could get by the giant in the narrow hallway.

Dera intercepted the lone human stumbling towards us at the top of the stairs. Leaving me with two shield potions I hadn't handed to her yet. Well, better drink them now. Surely some of that explosion must have drained mine.

Damn, I feel tired. This was a bad idea. Heaving me around a freakin' hardened space. What have I been thinking? Myra was right. I've lost my marbles. This was nuts. I'm going to die here.

"We are nearly out!" Balsar shouted behind me. "Move!"

"I am trying!" Damn, I feel so heavy. Breathing gets hard. All that smoke is still around and all my garments weigh a ton.

The next flight of stairs down, I saw Dera fight like a berserker. Taking on one human and one Automata at the same time. Davan and Rea a step behind. Only occasionally helping. Rea's spells were faint. The mage still leaning heavily on Davan, who in turn was impaired in his actions.

This floor was obviously a cubicle farm. The irony that Besonians invented the monstrosity before us Earthlings was lost at me right now. All I saw was a small labyrinth we had to cross. I hurried as fast as I could to the others when suddenly I got stuck. Not even moving an inch anymore. Something had caught me from both sides. But there were only cubicles.

"Dera! We got a problem!" Balsar shouted from behind me. I couldn't even turn around to him to look at what the problem was.

Dera turned around as she finished off the last enemy. Downing a shield potion in one swig. Then she saw me and her eyes turned furious. Murder spoke through them. She readied her sword and charged towards me. Surely she wouldn't-

Sparks flew as her sword impacted with my shield. I stumbled back. Suddenly free. But Dera didn't stop. Wailing at me with her sword. I lost my footing. Falling to the floor. Dera placed her foot on me. No, on my shield, and kept hitting it. At last, my shield collapsed and her foot landed on my chest. Her sword arced a last time down. Burying itself inches from my face beside me.

She leaned down until I saw the fury in her eyes up close. "No more shield potions for you. None, unless we tell you to. Got it, Lillyn?"

Damn, my mouth is dry. I try to answer but no words come out. Instead, I give a feeble nod.

Dera raised up. Her feet pushing on my chest, but I doubt she cared. Spinning around and charging towards the next enemy coming up the stairs.

A strong hand is grabbing my collar lifting me. But halfway through my top gives up. With a last big tear, it gives away. Leaving Balsar with tatters in his grasp. When had that happened? Then it dawned on me. My chest was now naked, except for my brassiere of the shieldmaiden. The potions! How many have I drunk? Three? Four? More?

My bosom must have burst through my top. No wonder I got stuck between cubicles. How hadn't I noticed? At least, I get air again. And I felt lighter.

"Lillyn, move!"

Balsar's shout pulled me back from my introspective. Right, we weren't out yet. I couldn't see Dera anymore. Davan and Rea just vanishing down the stairs.

I hastened to catch up and heard Balsar's heavy steps behind me. Shit, he was now my only protection. I could activate the shields of my bracelets, but what if Dera would notice. She already had been on the brink of decapitating me.

More offices. A few cubicles. Dera breathing hard. Davan and Rea standing close. Rushing over, I craft a few shield potions. Offering them to Dera. She takes them, but only after giving me a glare that spoke of pure hatred.

The last steps to our freedom are eventless. No more enemies. At least none moving. Stumbling into the lobby, we find more destroyed Automata.

Then, finally, sunlight. We made it out. I survived. But all around us is destruction. There are piles of Automata around us. As are adventurers. One of them stepped out.

"Dera, my respect. Triggering a collapse. I didn't think you had it in you. Though maybe next time, give a heads-up."

"Shut the fuck up, Gevalt," Dera yelled back. Her gaze roaming over the gathered adventurers who had stood the tide of pouring out Automata. Until it fell on me. "Lillyn!"

Oh, shit. I only managed three steps back before she reached me. grabbing for my collar, which wasn't there anymore, and laying her hand on my neck instead.

"You-" she hissed. But then fell silent. Taking a few shaky breaths. I can see that she tries to calm down. "Our payment," she only said at last.

Right. I lift my hand. Offering sixteen thousand void-favors. She grabs it. Just long enough to finish the transaction.

"I hope this was worth it," she hisses at me. Barely audible to anyone around us. "Dump her stuff," she said aloud. Letting go of me walking to her teammates.

They each dumped their boxes with documents in front of the servant quarters. Leaving me behind as they walked away. Right. The contract was fulfilled. Was it worth it? Risking my life? Theirs? All for a bunch of documents and one piece of machinery. Not to mention that I doubt Dera considered me a friend anymore. I messed up, guys. Big time.

Gradually, most of the Adventurers dissipated. Only a few stayed behind. I am not sure if they stay behind because more Automata could pour out of the servant quarters, or because I was half-naked for the world to see.

For a moment, I looked towards the boxes. Feeling the impulse to leave them behind. No, there's got to be something in there that made all of this worth it. Beaten, I walk towards my Little Mule. More than once. First, to shift my soul inventory to the one of my Little Mule. Then, to get those blasted boxes. Three at a time.

It was on my last haul when I heard my name yelled. Myra collided with me. Pulling me in a hug. I melted into it.

"I am sorry, Myra. You were right. I messed up. This was folly. I-"

"Shush," the blue-haired priestess cut me off. "Everything will be alright. Let's get you inside. Then, you can tell me everything."

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It isn't dead?!

Wait, I thought the serial was dead in the water.
How long has it been since the last update?
9 weeks or so. More?
Finally, that lazy author got a move on.
Was about time.
Like, geez. Seriously.

Power of prayer?

I was just dreaming and praying for a new chapter thanks...

Please keep it up this is a great story

EllieJo Jayne

Thanks a lot

That’s some action !!!

KUDOS

WOW. thank you for new chapter

Woo! New Chapter! Big changes!

I could also see why Dera said Rea was interested in my special Enchant-Up bras. She didn't have much up top.

Maybe after this, she's a bit less interested in them...

What is up with Besona? Big breasts here. Big breasts there. Big breasts everywhere! It is as if the whole planet has a fetish for big breasts. And it wants me to enable its kink.

My bet is that she's right on the money.

It was a factory. Miniaturized to the best ability of Maynard. Why research Automata when I could have a scaled-down factory that could build them for me? I need to have that. Still, the piece of equipment was large. I remember Myra once said the amount one could put into a soul-inventory slot was limited by their highest magical stat. I had thirteen in void-magic. That's got to be enough.

Yeah, but she needs to power it? Or does she? ... Is it too big to fit on the crafting bench?

"Lillyn!" Dera pushed me around. Pinning me to a wall. Her eyes were wide. I saw panic in them. "What the frack did you do?"

mmm. Second time that Dera asks Lillyn what she did, and it's way worse than the first time. Nice use!

Also, I bet some of this is from Lillyn having terrible stats. Her Wisdom / Intelligence / Whatever is in 5-9 after all.

Not to mention that I doubt Dera considered me a friend anymore. I messed up, guys. Big time.

Hmm... Massive Discounts, and 100% rate on selling things at her shop for the party? And of course, a formal, to their faces, "I messed up." apology and stuff.

Also gifts, like an Enchant-Up for Rea, first goes at testing gear, etc.

"Shush," the blue-haired priestess cut me off. "Everything will be alright. Let's get you inside. Then, you can tell me everything."

I wonder what she'll make of this... And I hope she suggests that apology idea... Or something similarly hopefully useful...