The Fever

Printer-friendly version

The Fever

(c) 2020 Haylee V

I never thought that my extreme fear of needles would lead to my downfall...

I have always thought myself as relatively healthy. I've never had a run in with the standard childhood diseases, and never had more than just the common cold, really. I eat well and try to keep physically fit and active. So I never thought I would succumb to "The Fever".

It all started innocently enough. I was in my bedroom, just relaxing, watching some TV, when my sister knocked on the door.

"Come in," I said.

"Will you come play dollies with me? Please? I'm so bored!"

"But I'm watching TV right now, Anne."

"Please, Roni? I'll let you choose who you want to be. You can even be Barbie this time..."

"Oh, all right. The show's just about over anyway. Give me a few minutes, OK?"

The joy on Anne's face was priceless. It wasn't much on my part, mind you, but I liked making my younger sister happy at times. Even if I did have to act a little "girly" to do it.

----------

"Remember your doctor's appointment today, Roni. You'll be 13 Saturday and you NEED to get 'The Shot' so you don't catch 'The Fever'. You know it usually hits boys as they enter puberty, and you know how dangerous it can be..."

"But Mom...," I whined, "You know I hate needles. They hurt so much and make me squeamish..."

"Just make sure you do it. It's important!"

----------

Well, I bailed on the appointment. I just didn't want to get stuck by a needle.

About a week later, my sister and I were playing tea party in her room. For some unexplained reason, I felt compelled to dress up in the old frock and Mary Janes. I couldn't explain it. I just had to dress up. I WANTED - no I NEEDED - to feel feminine. Mom caught me and immediately took me to the doctor. It was then that we discovered that I had caught 'The Fever". There was no cure. It just had to run it's course.

And now, Ronald Turner is no more. "The Fever" has made me Veronica Jane Turner. I no longer fear needles...

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Want To Catch It

joannebarbarella's picture

But it's sixty-five years too late.

Fever version two

The infamous mad scientist, Rachael Droidlander, has sequenced the fever's DNA and is working on version two. Anyone can be a carrier, but it only affects people over sixty years old. It turns them into pre-teen girls.

Sounds like fun...

Rose's picture

Sounds like fun! Stupid vaccinations! I knew they were bad for you!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary