Dearly Beloved - 31: A Dresden Files Fanfic

Printer-friendly version

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.

Chapter Thirty-One

I got home, peeled myself out of my clothes, and started the water for a bath.

While the tub was filling, I put on some sweats and went into Thomas's apartment.

He had just gotten home as well.

"Orange Juice and that vodka. Where?"

He chuckled. "Bad day?"

"I saw 'Father.'

"Uh, oh. How did that go?"

"Chained me to a table."

He laughed. "Yeah, that's Father."

"I need a drink like I've never needed before."

He grinned. "Orange juice in the fridge. I squeezed it this morning. Don't drink all my vodka."

"Yeah, yeah." I turned and took the pitcher, then went to his bar. "Ketel, Grey Goose, or Chopin."

"GG," Thomas said from the other room. "Pour me a glass."

I poured the vodka into the pitcher like a heathen, then poured him a glass.

"You should never make a mixed drink."

"Yeah, right now, I don't care." I turned to head out the door. "Toodles."

"Don't you want to hear about my day."

"Later. I got a bath with my name on it."

"Want me to join you?"

I paused at that. I did, in one way, didn't in another. I wanted some space to myself, but also didn't want to be alone. "Fuck."

"What?"

"My two brains are at war with each other. Harry wants you to come, but Lara is telling you to fuck off."

"I'm going to have company soon anyway. Something happened at the salon I need to talk to you about, so why don't I come in and talk, but not join in the fun."

"Okay. Give me like fifteen minutes, okay?"

"Okay."

I took the pitcher, and walked into the bathroom, shedding the sweats on the way.

Stepping into the foaming tub, I moaned in ecstasy and lay back, dipping my head under the water.

Leaning back, I took the pitcher and drank from the side. Wincing, I realized Thomas was right.

I poured in more vodka. Now wasn't the time to be gentle.

Inhaling the fragrance of the bath oils, I let the water soothe me, focusing my mind, allowing me to center and calm. The interaction with Lord Raith, my father, had been more stressful than I realized. Lara usually had this reaction to being with her father, I now knew, and she loved to escape beneath her aromatic bath oils, something alcoholic, and escape.

A few minutes later, Thomas came in.

"I see you're a bit more relaxed."

"Yeah."

"Father has that effect on people."

"I forgot to put in Lara's stupid PIN, and he thought I was someone else!"

"Disaster!"

"I know, right? Next, I'm chained to that damned stone altar they almost cut your heart out at."

"Good times, good times."

"Yeah, right?"

"So, one of the customers brought up the fact that her son was James Martin."

I frowned, not recognizing the name. "Should I recognize that name?"

"Think about Chichen Itza."

I gave it some thought as I sipped the awful drink. It was starting to make me feel delightfully light headed and loopy.

I snapped my fingers. "As in Martin from the Fellowship of St. Giles?"

"Possibly. It was the only lead that I could think of."

"I never really knew Martin's full name. We all just called him Martin."

"Regardless, she'll be in again tomorrow. Part two of a bleach job."

"Interesting."

"You can take it if you want. I trust you."

I smiled. "Right-hand Hairdresser?"

"It suits you, Tiff Tiff."

"I'm already having enough of an identity crisis, thank you."

"How are you doing with all that, by the way?"

I shrugged. "Well, not bad. I saw Murphy and Maggie. I spent some time at the office yesterday, and the estate today."

"Wow, you're really integrating into Lara's life in a big way."

"Yeah. I had a great meeting of the board today. Provided them a report and everything."

"Wow."

"And Father seems to have tentatively accepted me. But he wants to talk to Harry first. Also wants to know how permanent this might be. Apparently, Inari has been located."

"Really? That's good news."

"I thought so. Father seems to think we should take her out since she hasn't come back to the family yet and is basically a liability waiting to happen."

He nodded, rubbing his chin. "That's Father."

"He told me he didn't want me to know any more of the family business however, until intentions are made clear. But he at least didn't try to kill me."

"That's getting off lightly, where Father is concerned."

"Yeah, I can tell."

I sighed. "I've also, well…I think I've enthralled Murphy."

"Oh?" He drew out the word into a long sound. "Do tell."

"Well, I went by there yesterday after work, and she was having a party."

"And you didn't invite me?"

I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, she was getting tattooed. And she'd already had a number of piercings put in."

"Mmmm, so embracing her new appearance."

"Yes. And she has zero desire to be 'herself' anymore. Asked me to make 'Karrie' her permanent persona."

"And?"

"Well, I couldn't just erase her, so I packed up all of what is Murphy, put it into a box, and took it into my own head."

He winced at that. "Probably not the best course of action."

"Why?"

"Well, what if something happens to it in your mind? You could irreparably lose everything Murphy is and was."

"Well, I didn't want to just erase it all, so that's where it's at. She has no access to those memories or personality anymore. And is basically, 'Karrie Melons.'"

He chuckled. "I see."

"Anyway, I've apparently dipped more than I should have and now she calls me Mistress. Or, more accurately, Mithtress. She had a tongue stud put in."

"Oh, those can be sooo—"

"I know, right? Wow."

"Well, I don't know, Harry. It sounds like you're actually loosening up a bit, and enjoying life. You used to have such a strong picture of what was 'right' and what was 'wrong,' you really never let yourself have fun, or let your hair down."

"Hah. Funny."

"You know what I mean."

"I suppose. Though those last days with Murphy were pretty nice with the Quarantine and all."

"Shelter in place. A Quarantine means you don't leave your house."

"Bah, whatever. You know what I mean."

"Yes. But are you happier now than you were? You seem to be."

"I've been thinking about that, and yes, so far. Though I really don't like this 'curse.'"

"It can be a pain in the ass, believe me." Thomas sighed.

"Any word from Justine?"

He shrugged. "She's fine. Wants to come home."

"I could sure use her again."

"Says Lara."

I took a drink from the pitcher. "I know. The longer I'm in here, the more Lara, I become."

"I can see that."

"I hope Harry is okay, though. I've been thinking about trying to get to Arctis Tor to see them."

"Molly and Harry?"

"Yes. Or I guess it's Mal and Harry now."

"I'll go with you if you'd like."

I nodded. "I can't decide. I should probably go tell Susan about James Martin's Mom. I want to go see Maggie, and I told Murphy I'd have her come here."

"So many choices, so little time."

"So I decided to take a bath and try to get drunk."

"Which is also new for you."

"And cigarette smoking. I mean, where have they been my whole life?"

"Right and wrong, right and wrong."

I sighed. "Mab can be unpredictable. But we probably should go and make sure he isn't torturing the person that used to be your sister. I'd hate myself if anything nasty happened to her."

"Agreed, me too."

"So, how do we get to Arctis Tor?"

He shrugged. "You were the Wizard, Harry."

I nodded, thinking. "Ugh, probably means a visit to Bob, who will have no end to the jokes of me being in here."

"Not to mention convincing Andy and Billy who you really are."

"Lara used to have a connection to the wee folk. I wonder if they've forgiven her yet."

"We could try."

"You order the pizza, and I'll get dressed."

I stood up and handed him the pitcher. "Probably shouldn't have any more of that."

"This is a crime against drinking anyway. One does not put Grey Goose into a pitcher like this, Harry. Shame on you."

"Yeah, yeah."

I grabbed my soft towel as Thomas left.

An hour later, we were zipping along the Michigan shoreline. A fresh pizza steamed in the back seat, and my stomach rumbled.

"You could have gotten one for us."

"You shouldn't be eating Pizza, Lara. Not if you wish to keep that girlish figure."

"Hah hah," I said, drily.

"Here, stop here," I said, recognizing the place I usually lured in the wee folk.

It had become a lot easier over the past months to summon the little guys. But I'd forgotten how hard all of it was to set up. I really hoped they'd come, especially with the pizza offering. No wee fairy could resist pizza.

I set the pizza on the car. Closing my eyes, I cast my senses around us. I called the name of Toot by his True Name—a rolling series of vowels and syllables that I knew by heart. In our first contact, I'd trapped the little guy. I could have done it again, but I didn't want them to hate me; I wanted their help.

We waited a few moments, and when nothing appeared, I tried again.

After about half an hour, I realized this was probably stupid. "Might as well eat the pizza, I don't think they're coming."

We each took a slice, but before we could get it up to our mouth, an angry buzzing zipped around us, flittering and flickering. Our pizza slices disappeared in moments.

"Hey!" I said. "Toot, I know you're out there. This is Za-Lord."

A few moments later, Toot materialized on the roof of the car. "Who is it that taints the name of the Za-Lord Dresden! Defend yourself, Vampire!"

Toot launched a volley of tiny arrows at me, and I squealed, feeling dozens of pinpricks. "It's me, Toot, Umm.." I closed my eyes for a moment and concentrated. "Harry!"

"Thou are't NOT Harry Dresden, as clearly you are a vampire!"

"Well, yes, but I was Harry, and I need your help."

"How do I know you were Harry, Hm? The dewdrop fairy said. "How do I know you won't just seize my soul and take me to use for your own perverted sexual pleasures?"

I blinked. "Wow, that's a bit much, even for you, Toot."

He sighed. "Is that you, Harry?"

"In the flesh."

"You were in your own flesh a few days ago, Harry. Or was that weeks? I don't remember. What do you want?"

"I need to get to Arctis Tor."

"To see the Queen? If you knew my name, surely you know hers."

I rubbed my neck. "Yeah…I do. But that's not a bridge I want to cross. Can you ask someone to escort us, please?"

"What kind of deal are you willing to make?"

I shrugged. "What would they want?"

"Hmmm." He gave some thought to the question, putting his fist under his chin in an adorable display of thoughtfulness. "A date."

"A date? With who?"

"With the Pharaohs of Egypt, Harry. With you!"

"Why would anyone want a date with me?"

"Maybe because you look like sex on wheels?" Thomas said, in a low voice.

"Shush, you."

"That's the bargain. A date with you at their choosing. Deal struck?"

I shrugged. "Okay, Deal."

He poofed into the never-never, then came back a few moments later. A Dark Elf stood with him, tall and solemn with black hair, pointed ears, and looked like the First Officer from a certain starship enterprise."

"Live long and prosper," I said, holding my hand out in the Vulcan salute.

The elf's dark eyes regarded me quietly.

"Efrohim doesn't talk, Harry. After he takes you to the never-never, he would like a date, per the bargain."

I sighed. "Okay, yes. Bargain struck."

The dark elf nodded. He opened up a Way.

Ways through the never-never are always a bit unpredictable. You might enter, and it's summer, and step right into a raging blizzard. Or you might enter from a city, and fall right into the ocean. I happened to know the opposite end of Chicago in the Never-Never, so I figured we were pretty safe.

Thomas and I followed Efrohim into the Never Never. We entered into a stone building with enormous hallways; the cavernous ceiling above could not be seen in the darkness. Luckily, Thomas and I didn't need any special help, we could see in even the dimmest of circumstances.

The dark elf put a finger to his lips and walked down the passage. We followed.

We progressed through hallways and caverns, descending downhill for at least two or three miles. He made random turns as the passage met other passages and caverns, some with enormous stalactites and stalagmites stretching up from the floor and hanging from the ceiling.

"My heels were not built for this," I said after almost tripping on a vein of rock crossing our path.

Efrohim put a finger to his lips, his eyes glaring at me, and I nodded, rolling my eyes.

Thirty minutes later, we came to a cavern with no exit. Efrohim opened a Way again and indicated we should enter.

I stepped into the opening and immediately felt the frigid wind of Arctis Tor. Thomas stepped through as well.

We were standing on an enormous gateway to the Castle. The immense wooden doors in front of us were closed. We walked across the portal, and I knocked as hard as I could on the door.

A section opened, barely higher than we were tall.

"Who calls?" a voice said from the darkness.

"Thomas and Lara Raith. To see Mab, and Maalshiira."

The section closed.

I shivered as we waited. I'd worn a red silk blouse over black slacks, with a long leather jacket. I looked awesome, but it wasn't proof against the cold.

Thomas blew on his fingers, looking perfect in his fur-lined overcoat.

The section opened again, and we were directed through the door.

Three apparent guards stood in the entryway. All held poleaxes, long weapons that towered over their heads. They looked powerful and intimidating with angled cheeks, blue-black hair, and slitted black eyes.

"Come this way. The Queen and Lady are in the sitting room."

We followed them for what felt like miles through a long black marbled hallway. They brought us into a throne room, with a chair sitting upon a dais, then through a side door.

Mab sat drinking something steaming by a fire. Maalshiira stood next to her, and they appeared deep in concentration.

"Well, it's about time," Mab said, turning toward us.

"Hello Mab. Maal." I said.

Maal smiled softly.

Is that really thou? Floated into my mind.

Yeah. Long story.

"How can I help thee, Vampires."

"Um…we've come to check on the health of, ah…Harry."

"My Knight is safe and sound. In fact, we were just discussing options for avoiding the demons' curse."

"And?"

Maalshiira answered. "The best we can answer is to change his True Name."

"Can that be done?"

"It can, but there are ramifications, Vampire."

"Which are?" Thomas said.

"Come, sit. And we shall talk." Mab said, indicating several chairs by the fire.

I sat down, gratefully, warming my hands. I knew this wouldn't be good news, and I felt a flurry of butterflies enter my stomach, or whatever I might have down there.

Maal gave me a small smile and took my hand.

I took hers, gratefully.

Worry not. All will be as it should, Vampire.

I wondered at that.

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Worry on, Lara

Podracer's picture

Things "being as they should" will depend upon one's point of view. And one's species, probably.

"Reach for the sun."

And the last time someone said, don't worry?

Jamie Lee's picture

The meeting with daddy went well, Lara Harry was able to walk away. And so far she's been able to keep her head above water and in some cases, improved things.

Seems like when Lara Harry has been told, don't worry, something hits the fan. Maal thought to Lara Harry that very thing with regards to a true name change, that everything would be as it should. Hello, if things would be as it should, Lara would be in her body and Harry in his, and not worried about demons getting him.

Others have feelings too.