Dearly Beloved - 25: A Dresden Files Fanfic

Printer-friendly version

The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.

Chapter Twenty Five

The next day, I woke up determined to take charge of my life. People needed my help, and I wasn't going to let them down.

I took a shower in my custom-made curtain rain stall. Shaving was a unique experience, but I made it through with only a couple of nicks on my gorgeous gams. My hair was damaged from the last couple of days in the wig, so I took a few extra minutes to run detangler and conditioner through it.

I finished showering and dressed in a black power-suit jacket with a lacy cream silk blouse that felt lovely against my smooth skin. I rolled up some black pantyhose, pulled on a pencil-skirt, and some patent leather stilettos that made my legs look amazing.

I used the blow dryer with detangler to make my hair shine and give it a lovely fragrance.

Afterward, I applied some basic makeup, lipstick, spritzed a little perfume and put on some gold jewelry Lara liked in the past. Her memories became more and more in front of my mind, with Harry's taking a back seat, almost like they belonged to someone else. I knew the danger of this, so I did some deep breathing exercises and created some visualizations I could access when Harry's memories were more important than my own, Lara's own.

Picking up my purse, I made sure I had my gloves and N95 mask, then walked next door.

Thomas and the couple were a tangle of arms and legs in the middle of his large bed. Clothes lay strewn all over his apartment with the remains of several take-out boxes of food, bottles of alcohol, and light drug paraphernalia.

"Thomas," I said, shaking his arm. I hoped the couple weren't COVID carriers. Otherwise, I'd just exposed myself.

He opened his eyes and looked up at me blearily. "Wha?"

"I'm going into the office today. You keep your ears open for anything related to Susan, okay?"

"Mhm." He said, and his eyes slid back closed.

Walking back to the elevator, I pressed the button and stared at my reflection in the mirrored walls. Damn, I looked good. I smoothed my hair out, then brushed some invisible lint from my black tailored suit jacket.

You got this, woman.

Raith Enterprises owned several office complexes in the city, along with our tower for apartments and a skyscraper. I went up to the roof, and the helicopter was already waiting for me. I'd texted Malcolm, my pilot, earlier, and he'd agreed to meet me.

Flying over Chicago gave me a perspective on how much the city had changed. Cars flowed easily through the streets below, usually congested to a standstill, but most people still sheltered in place at home.

When I got to our business tower, Malcolm set us down without a lurch.

"There you go, Miss Raith. What time would you like me to return?"

"I'll text you, darling," I said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. He smiled, blushing as I held my hair against the wind of the whirling blades and made my way down the steps to the roof.

Jenni Templeton met me, smiling widely. "God, I'm so happy to see you, you have no idea!" she yelled over the tumult of the engines. I nodded as a guard opened the door for me, and we entered the building.

"I scheduled a meeting with you in fifteen minutes with John Marcone," Jenni said, as I strode swiftly down the hallway toward Lara's…my, office. I, of course, had the largest office on the floor. I nodded to several of the staff who waved to me as I passed by, accessing Lara's memories, so I knew who was whom.

"Wait," I said, walking into my office. Paneled white walls met floor to ceiling glass, with white lilies on the table. "What did you just say?"

"John Marcone has been trying to get on your schedule for days now. He says it's a matter of some urgency."

I gritted my teeth. Lara would not have permitted such an open meeting with John, now Baron of Chicago, under the Unseelie accords. "He wanted to come here?"

"Yes," Jenni said, glancing down at her tablet. "Is that okay?"

"I need more than fifteen minutes warning, next time, Jenni. Okay? You need to text me when I have a meeting with Mr. Marcone."

"Ooh, you've told me that before. I'm so sorry, Lara, but without you here, things have gotten a little out of hand!"

I put my hand on her shoulder. She wore a lovely blue business suit and had light blonde hair cut in a pageboy. "It's okay. My business with John isn't a secret, but it's not something I want on my normal business schedule. This is not normal times, however, so I will excuse this once."

She nodded, swallowing hard. I'd been hard on Jenni in the past. She just couldn't take Justine's place as my right-hand girl. Justine was fantabulous; no one could replace her.

"So, what else is on my schedule for today?"

"Um, Lord Raith would like to meet with you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Tell my father I will be out to the estate later this afternoon."

"Yes, Ms. Raith."

I didn't want to see him. I wanted to go see Maggie. I owed her a trip to the park.

"Check that," I said. "Tell my father to WeChat me."

"Yes, Ms. Raith," Jenni said.

I sorted through my email, which was both a new and old experience for me. Lara checked email once a day when she was in the office. Harry didn't even have an email address. How in the world did one sort through over three-hundred emails and responses? It would take me all day, just to read each one.

"Jenni!" I said, and she popped into my office. "You have access to my email?"

"Of course not, Ms. Raith."

"So, call tech and get them to give you access. I want you to parse through my email and give me a report each morning, got that?"

"Yes, Ms. Raith."

"Obviously, if something catches your eye that I should deal with immediately, shoot me a text, okay?"

"Will do, Ms. Raith."

"Same with my phone messages. You have my access code?"

"No, but I'll ask Ian in tech to help me."

"Perfect."

She beamed. "Anything else?"

"I need a report from Finance on our current SOA. Tell Jim I want it on my desk in an hour."

"Yes Ms. Raith."

"In fact, tell all Senior Admins and Chiefs I want reports on my desk in an hour. Physical copies, not emailed, can you do that?"

"Yes, Ms. Raith."

"Perfect."

She grinned. "Ms. Raith?"

"Hm?"

"I'm happy you're back."

I rolled my eyes. "Wish I could say the same but thank you for the sentiment, Jenni."

"Shall I have Mr. Marcone meet you in the conference room?"

"No, bring him in here."

I went to the bar and got out some Krug from the little mini-fridge, and two crystal champagne flutes. I popped the top and let the champagne breathe as I filled a bucket with ice.

Jenni escorted Marcone and Hendricks into my office. I knew Hendricks from when I was Harry as Cujo…tall, he had bright red hair cut in a military buzz cut with narrow blue eyes, jutting eyebrows with a thick neck, and a face that looked like it was smashed flat.

Gentleman Jonny Marcone, on the other hand, was much shorter with salt and pepper hair, heavy on the salt, with green eyes the color of old dollar bills. He was suave, tanned, and athletic, looking like Hendrick's football coach.

Lara knew them in a much different manner, and I could feel a blush rising to my cheeks as John kissed my hand. "Lara, it's been too long."

"John," I said.

Hendricks eyed me like a piece of meat dangling in front of a hunting dog.

"Todd," I said, smiling sweetly at Hendricks. He grinned at me, sticking his tongue out and licking several times in a blatant show of obscenity I adored in men.

I handed them both a champagne flute, then turned to pour one for myself.

"You look as ravishing as ever."

I smiled, showing my brilliant white teeth. I knew John far too well, both as Harry and as Lara, for me to keep this secret from him for too long.

"Todd, if you could be so kind as to wait out with Jenni. I need to have some time alone with John."

Hendricks glanced at his boss, who gave a slight nod.

"No funny business."

I held up a hand. "Scout's honor."

He threw back the champagne and set the glass down. Then he got up and walked out. I couldn't help but watch his backside as he exited my office. I knew exactly how strong those muscles were and what he could do with them.

After closing the door, I ordered the windows to dim and brought up some soft lighting.

"Why, Lara, if I didn't know any better, I might think you're seducing me."

I sighed. "You'd be wrong, John. I have a confession to make."

I walked over to my desk and turned sideways a bit to give him the best angle of my new assets. Setting back on my desk, letting my legs cross in their four-inch stilettos, I took a long drink from the champagne flute, closing my eyes.

Knowing exactly how Lara would look using that move, I smiled.

"Oh?" John said, his voice a bit rough.

"Mhmm." I set the glass down on my desk, then leaned over a bit.

"I'm not who I appear."

He frowned a little at that and drank some champagne. "Oh?"

I nodded.

"So who are you then?"

I sighed. "Good Question. I am Lara Raith, as you can see. Completely, fully. I can remember every interaction we've ever had…" I smiled at him slyly.

For the first time in my considerably long association with John Marcone, I saw him blush.

"But I also feel it necessary to tell you, per the accords, I'm also Harry Dresden."

He blinked. "Excuse me?"

I raised my eyebrows to him, opening my arms. "Did you really let her tie you up, John?"

Again he blushed, crossing his legs. I noticed a little vein on his forehead started to throb. "How am I to believe you?"

I shrugged my shoulders, uncrossing my legs, then perched on a white chair near the glass table at the front of my office. "Ask me something only Harry would know."

He considered this for a long while. He set the champagne down on the table, then came and sat across from me.

"In our first interaction, what did I offer you?"

I giggled. "A job."

"Indeed. And what did you say?"

I thought about it. "Probably to take a flying leap."

"No…try to be more specific. What did you call me."

I thought back. It was difficult because Harry's memories were fading. I remembered it was something with the Lobo killings. I knew they were after Marcone, appeared to be after him. Marcone came to me and offered me an insane amount of money to work for him, basically to do nothing, but leave the case alone. It had made me angry, and I'd shot my mouth off—"

"A fucking animal that should be in a cage."

His eyes widened at that.

I giggled. "Kinda poetic justice, considering Lara literally—"

"Okay, I believe you. Should I call you Lara? Or Dresden."

"Lara," I said, pouring both of us another drink. "I'm kind of stuck with it now."

"Do tell."

"First, what did you need to discuss with me? With Lara, rather?"

He frowned. "You seem remarkably knowledgeable about her life. You knew about her life with the Brighter Future Society?"

I nodded, handing him a glass.

"I believe the Fomor will call for a Peace Accord shortly."

"Hmm, that's news to me. Both of me, if you know what I mean."

"Yes, you were my next stop. Well, Harry was." He shook his head. "So, Lara is now in your body?"

"Yeah, long story. If the Fomor are going to be looking for peace, this changes the balance of power in Chicago."

"Exactly. Which is why I wanted, um, both of your input on what our demands might be."

"I'll give that some thought."

He took a long drink, then got up and went to the bar himself, and fixed a scotch with a dash of water. He drank the entire glass, then poured another and came back to the table to sit down.

"So, tell me how this has happened."

So I did. I wasn't sure about letting people know who I was, especially a thug like Marcone, but I knew it could potentially bite us in the ass, all of us in the ass if he found out through other means. I always found keeping your friends close, and your enemies within fire range fostered a healthy work environment for all concerned.

"Very interesting. So she's been taken by the Queen of Winter."

"Yes."

"So she might hold him for a very long time."

I wiggled my fingers. "Maybe yes, maybe no. Mab has a way of playing with time. She can make a minute stretch out to be a year. So I think we might see him pop up again, shortly, but I have a feeling he'll be…well. I suspect his true name may change a bit."

"So you have no desire to get back to your original body?"

I shrugged. "I don't really have a choice right now, without demonic intervention. And what I might have to offer, I wouldn't want in a demon's hands."

He nodded. "I can see why."

"So, for now, this is me."

"And Miss Murphy?"

"She's decided to, ah, embrace her inner slut; I guess you could say."

He chuckled. "I have a place she could work if she is looking for employment."

"I'll let her know."

He looked at me, meeting my eyes in a way we never could when I was Harry.

"You really are okay with this? With her being like that?"

"What choice do I have? I could force her to be herself, stuck in that body, committed to me, but remember, I'm a White Court Vampire now…"

"Ohh, and cursed as such." He said in a soft voice.

"Exactly. She kissed me last night and gave me second-degree burns."

"Well, Thomas and Justine…"

"I know full well about how they are making it work." I stood up, suddenly angry. "Justine is only in her late twenties, but she looks like she's in her late seventies. I don't want to put Murphy through something like that."

John sighed. He got up and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I am sorry, Lara."

I shrugged. "It is what it is."

He looked at me, those soulful green eyes. "No. Lara. I am truly sorry."

"Not your fault," I said, lifting my arms to take a drink. He caught my arm in midflight.

"Lara." He said, placing both hands on my shoulders. "I am truly sorry."

Something broke inside me as he stared at me with such concern in his voice. I nodded, then broke down, crying.

He gathered me in his arms and held me.

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The front lasts until it cracks

Jamie Lee's picture

Harry as Lara has ideas that differ from those Lara had about the business, and s/he's gathering much needed information before making major decisions.

As Lara, Harry's whole attitude has been it is what it is, but even that attitude belies his true feelings about everything that's happened. And when someone truly cares about what happened, the front Harry has put up comes crumbling down.

Harry's concern for others runs so deep that it often gets him into trouble as it's done now his being Lara. He doesn't seem able to turn people down when they ask for help, something he may want to reconsider since Lara pulled her stunt.

Others have feelings too.