Project: Stingray Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

Delphine, Maanushi, Kupe, and Leinani were all swimming around examining the coral development. They had formed on the supports from an oil rig that used to stand where they were. Kinsley had sent them out to check how much bigger the coral reef was growing. Stingray was floating nearby, just in case someone needed to get back inside.

Kupe takes pictures with the underwater camera he brought along. He was documenting coral. Delphine liked how the supports the oil rig used, were now being used to establish a new coral reef. She swims around checking all four supports. She spots Leinani collecting some shells and such. She was surprised to learn that Leinani was scuba qualified.

Delphine checks her air supply and motions to the others, she needed to go back to Stingray. Maanushi and Kupe give her the thumbs up.

“Leinani, how is your air supply?” Kupe was looking at his daughter, as he spoke to her through their mask radio.

“I’m okay, dad. I can probably last a little longer than you and mom.” Leinani looks at her mother and father.

“Head back to Stingray, Leinani.” Maanushi wanted her daughter inside before the two of them went back.

“Yes, ma’am.” Leinani swims over to the hatch and enters her code.

She enters the chamber and watches as the water is pumped out. She removes her mask and turns her tank off. She gets out, so her parents could enter. She spots Delphine hooking her tank up to replenish the tanks' air supply.

“Can I hook my tank up?” Leinani looks at Delphine.

“Sure, there’s enough connections for everyone’s tank.” Delphine made sure she could connect multiple tanks to be recharged.

Maanushi and Kupe enter a few seconds later. They exit from the chamber and hook their tanks up.

“Man, the growth on those supports is unbelievable.” Kupe had the camera in his hands.

“I agree.” Maanushi was standing next to her husband.

“It looks like using those supports after the rigs are taken down is working out.” Delphine just read about the work some of the oil companies were doing to help the environment grow.

Delphine checks the time “there’s one more spot that Kinsley wants us to check out.”

“Where’s that?” Kupe was curious.

“It’s the resting place of one of the ships from World War II. She wants us to see how the wreck is doing.” Delphine had been given the coordinates where the wreckage was located.

“How long are we going to be out?” Maanushi was curious.

“If we leave now, we can get there before it gets dark. The high-power lights on Stingray will let us see the wreckage better, so that’s not a problem. We’ll end up spending the night out at sea, tonight.”

“So, that means MRE’s for dinner.” Leinani didn't like MRE's.

“Yes, but I stocked up on some really nice Gourmet MRE’s to eat.”

“Yuck!” Leinani didn’t like MRE’s that much.

“They aren’t that bad, Leinani. These are better then I had in the military.” Delphine recalls the ones she tried while in the military.

“They will be fine.” Maanushi knew how picky her daughter was when it came to meals.

“It’s fine, there’s also some lettuce and such if you want to make a salad. I didn’t know what you guys like to eat.” Delphine made sure to bring some fresh food and such with her.

Delphine sits down in the pilot’s seat and programs the coordinates into the navigation system. She feels Stingray start moving as the
autopilot system engages. It took a lot of debugging to get the system right. She watches the navigation screen to make sure it was heading in the right direction.

Maanushi picks a sweet and sour chicken MRE. She follows the direction in how to prepare it. Once it was done, she takes a bite of it and realizes that it wasn’t half bad. She looks over towards Delphine “your right, this sweet and sour chicken isn’t half bad.”

“Told you.” Delphine was eating a Beef Stroganoff MRE.

She keeps an eye on the navigation screen. She wasn’t worried about the autopilot system. She glances over towards Leinani and noticed she made herself a salad from the supplies in the cooler. They were traveling underwater, instead on the surface.

“Delphine, how long would it take you to travel from San Francisco to Hawaii at your top speed?” Kupe was curious.

“Eight hours at my top speed on the surface.”

“Damn, that’s fast. Can other submarines and surface ships pick us up?”

“Yes, but the acoustics from the jet systems sound like whales singing. Their computer system will mistake us for a biological.” Delphine had
been surprised that the sound the jets generated were high enough to be mistaken for whales.

Several hours later they arrive at the wreckage. Delphine turns the cameras on and starts recording.

“Is that one of our ships from World War II?” Leinani was curious.

“Yep, its one of our ships that got sunk by the Japanese. The problem with them now is the fuel they were carrying is starting to leak out of them.”

“That’s going to be a problem for the ecosystem around here.” Maanushi looks at Delphine with a concerned look on her face.

“That’s what Kinsley and the higher-ups at NOAA are worried about.” Delphine had been informed by Kinsley about their concerns.

“So, are we going to be investigating the site for leakage?” Kupe wonders where they were going to be going.

“Yep, plus we will be investigating the increase of temperature along the coast as well.” Delphine sends some small probes out to get a more detail scan of the wreckage.

Kupe and Maanushi watched the scans coming back from the small round probes as they moved about the wreckage. They went inside and scan the interior.

“Did you design these probes?” Kupe glances towards Delphine.

“Yep, they are cheap and easy to build. I can leave them where ever we go and monitor that area or use them like communication relays.”

“Can you recall them to you as well?” Maanushi was curious.

“Yeah, but it depends on how much battery life they have left.” Delphine knew the onboard battery only gave the probes a short life span.

They stay at the site for a while. Kupe and Maanushi watch as the scans appear on the monitor. The information could be constructed into a three-dimensional design on the monitor.

Once everything was done and the probes were back on Stingray. Delphine checks what the surface was like before surfacing. Once they were on the surface “if you guys want to see the stars, go ahead.”

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I love Stingray

Samantha Heart's picture

Stingray is some vessel love this boat. His inventor is a genius in her own right. She desgined & built him & now she is using him for oceananic & environmental reserch & development.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Yay!

WillowD's picture

More Sting Ray.

now if they could just figure

now if they could just figure how to vacuum up the leaking fuel