Project: Stingray Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

Delphine adjust how she was sitting. She was still sore from last night and early this morning. After she got the boat back to the dry dock, she used to construct Stingray. She got together with Tom and some of his friends. They went out to dinner and dancing. She spent the night with
Tom and one thing lead to another. Even when she was getting ready to head back home, to pick Stingray up, she gave him a quickie.

Before she arrives at the pier at the Coast Guard station. She dives beneath the surface, to surprise the crew that had been assigned to Stingray. According to her friend Kinsley, all three crew members had degree’s that dealt with the Ocean and Atmosphere. They were a family unit. Their only child was a child prodigy and graduated high school when she was just sixteen years old. She was also an artist that used things she finds on beaches and such.

She has sold four art pieces already and had a waiting list. She was working on her Bachelor's degree.

“Well, I hope you guys like Stingray.” As Delphine starts to surface.

At The Coast Guard Station:
Maanushi, Kupe, their daughter Leinani and Kinsley were standing on the pier waiting for Delphine to show up. Maanushi was wondering where their mysterious person was.

“We’ll look like your friend is late, Kinsley.” Maanushi looks at Kinsley.

“You might want to look again.” Kinsley spotted Delphine coming up out of the water.

Maanushi looks again and spots a giant Stingray coming towards them. She has never seen a submersible shaped like that before. It stops at the end of the pier.

Delphine pulls Stingray up to the end of the pier and kills the jet propulsion. She glides to a stop. She opens the hatch and carefully walk out to secure Stingray.

Kupe looks at the vessel that just pulls up. He wonders how deep it can go. He watches as a woman dressed in a wetsuit and had strawberry color hair comes walking up to them.

“Maanushi, Kupe, Leinani I would like you to meet the owner and builder of Stingray. Delphine, I would like to introduce your new crew.” Kinsley saw the expression on everyone's faces when Delphine approached them.

Maanushi looks at Stingray and then at Delphine “you built that?”

“Yes, it took me ten years to build and outfit it as I wanted it.”

“What type of fuel does it use?” Maanushi was curious.

“He uses hydrogen from sea water. The engine separates hydrogen and oxygen from the water. The oxygen is used so the occupants can breathe, while were underwater.”

“It submersible? How deep can you go?” Kupe was curious.

“6,000 ft.”

“Wow!” Leinani was impressed. She has never been in a submersible before.

“Well, why don’t the four of you go and have some fun and let me know when you are ready to work.” Kinsley figures their first assignment could be checking on the coral reefs forming on the bottom structure of the oil platforms left out in the ocean.

“Well, I’m ready when you guys are.” Delphine had a smile on her face.

“Okay.” Maanushi starts walking towards Stingray.

“Be careful getting in. The skin surface can be a little slippery.” Delphine follows behind everyone as they walk towards Stingray.

“What type of coverage is this?” Maanushi was curious. She kneels to feel it.

“It’s similar to the type of skin a stingray and manta ray has.” Delphine studied the bone structure of stingrays and manta rays.

The British government was thinking about coming up with a new sub design, based on the manta ray. They already had a drone in the shape of a manta ray. It took her a while to decide on a design.

Maanushi, Kupe, and Leinani enter Stingray and look around. Delphine stands behind them “as you can see, Stingray is capable of carrying four people. I have a dive chamber for those of you who know how to dive. Stingray is set-up to be able to replenish the air in your tanks. There’s also an outside air connection so, we can walk around outside of the vessel without our tanks.”

“How do you access your engines and power plants?” Maanushi was curious.

“Most of Stingrays engines are in here. He uses water jet propulsion technology.” Delphine shows Maanushi the engines and the hydrogen system.

“Are those hydrogen fusion cells?” Maanushi looked at them.

“Yes, Stingray only needs them to start up. After that, the hydrogen he gets from separating it out of the water powers him. If you put him on land, you would need to use hydrogen gas to power him. We can stay underwater indefinitely and travel the globe.”

“Can we go now, please? I want to see what it's like underwater.” Leinani was excited.

“We sure can. Just go ahead and take a seat.” Delphine closes the hatch and heads towards the pilot’s seat.

Maanushi sits next to Delphine. Her husband and daughter sit behind them. She watches as Delphine starts Stingray up and move him back into the bay. She had to admit that the controls were easy to use. Once they were under the Golden Gate bridge, Delphine starts going under the water.

“Okay, I’m impressed.” They could see the water covering the hull of Stingray as they kept going lower.

“Wow!” Everyone, besides Delphine, was enjoying the view as they kept going deeper and deeper.

Delphine takes them out into the Pacific Ocean. She looks over towards Maanushi “would you like to take the controls for a while?”

“Would I, you bet.” Maanushi grabs the controls.

Delphine instructs Maanushi on how to pilot Stingray. After a while, she does pretty well.

“Hey Kupe, do you want to try piloting Stingray?” Delphine looks behind her seat.

“Sure.”

Maanushi trades seats with Delphine and Kupe takes the co-pilot space. Once he was settled, Maanushi lets him take the controls for a while. Delphine watches as Kupe handles the controls.

“How do you know where you are?” Leinani looks towards Delphine since she was sitting next to her.

“Navigation maps and a GPS system. Stingray has all the latest maps and when we are near the surface, we have GPS. You can plot a course and engage his autopilot systems and he’ll follow it.”

“Cool. Do you mind if I take him down deeper?” Kupe looks over towards Delphine.

“Feel free too. Just remember our depth is 6,000 feet.” Delphine knew Stingray can go deeper if she wanted too.

“Okay.” Kupe takes them further out into the ocean and deeper.

Leinani was looking over her father’s shoulder at the instruments and how he piloted the vessel. She wanted to try, but she was still too young to touch the controls.

“So, Delphine, what made you want to build something like Stingray?” Maanushi was curious about Delphine.

“Well, I use to be in the Navy and I have always liked the ocean. I love exploring it whenever I got a chance. So, I decided to build my own vessel.”

“It must have taken you a long time to build this vessel and a lot of money as well.”

“It took me ten years to build him and some money from a sunken Spanish ship off the coast of Florida.”

“That was you?” Maanushi looks at Delphine with a curious look on her face.

“Yeah, that was me. The Spanish government allowed me to keep ten percent of what I found.”

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Stingray can go deeper if she wanted too"

WillowD's picture

And there goes my chance to nit pick. As soon as I saw the figure 6000 feet my first reaction was "say, what???"

This is one of the Lady Dragon stories that I particularly like and look forward to.

Her new crew seams

Samantha Heart's picture

Impressed with Stingray plus that she was the one to find & salvsge spanish treasure.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.