Tammy:Moving On - Chapter 28 "Walking On"

Printer-friendly version
Moving On  

Part
 
Twenty Eight

 

"Walking On"

 

 
Monday 15th May 2017
 

Tammy checked her phone as the class hit the mid morning break. There was a text from Joey:

Please call me

Tammy grabbed a coffee then headed for one of the benches outside, tapping the call button.

"How did it go? Just the headlines please."

"He made an arse of himself."

"No surprise then."

"You should have been here, the Procurator Fiscal was red-faced with rage."

"Okay, Okay, what happened?"

"Dad came in with his solicitor and pleaded guilty to the charge of drunk and disorderly, an assault charge had been dropped for some reason. Anyway, he was fined two hundred pounds plus a hundred costs. It was obvious he desperately wanted to say something but his brief wouldn't let him, and he was told to leave the court. When the door opened there were two military police officers waiting for him, they arrested him but he lost his temper before they could cuff him.

"He came back into the court and swore at the Procurator Fiscal, so he was summarily convicted of contempt and fined another two hundred with a warning to keep quiet. He refused to stop and then he saw me in the gallery and decided to go for me.

"The court bailiffs got him before he reached me and then the MPs cuffed him. The court went into recess and I asked a bailiff where he was being taken, apparently it was to Fort George in Inverness."

"Fort George? That's the Black Watch regimental home."

"Yeah, I think they said that."

"So he gets dinner with the regiment after all! What did the MPs arrest him for?"

"That might have something to do with my interview yesterday. I'm just glad he'll not hurt me again."

Tammy decided not to pursue the obvious line of questioning, not least because other students were now within earshot. "Okay, what are you doing now?"

"I'll get the next bus back to Thurso then I'll go to the office."

Her mobile trilled almost immediately after Joey rang off.

"Good morning Marcus, I heard the news."

"Can you go secure?"

"Nope, I'm heading back into class soon."

"Ah, there's been a development."

"Already?"

"Yes, but we'll know more when he's been re-interviewed."

"And when I'm in the office?"

"Indeed."

Tammy's phone conversations were now of interest to those near her so she signed off and put her phone away, whatever Marcus's news was it would have to wait. She finished her coffee and tossed the cup into a recycling bin before heading back into the building.

There was a reminder from Freddie Flint that the first year exams were only a month away and that unless certain individuals had hitherto hidden talents then they wouldn't be progressing to the second year.

"The exams should be taken as an opportunity to impress me with your knowledge. I can warn you now that a major part of the exam will be a case study that tests your learning. It may have a connection to a case we covered early in the year, whether fictional or factual, so don't skip those notes when you are revising."

Freddie had glimpsed at several groups during his speech and Tammy could guess who he was looking at but there was no doubt he had looked straight at her when he said 'fictional or factual' as Tammy was sat by herself.

"I suggest you spend the rest of the week revising at home. I will be here if you have any questions but please email me before you think about coming onto the campus. Tammy, can I see you before you leave?"

There were sniggers from the far side of the room but Tammy could have guessed that some take pleasure in others' grief, not that she knew what Freddie wanted. Several of the students were taking their time to leave so the tutor suggested she went to his office. Tammy triggered her phone to record.

"Now, Tammy, it seems there is a problem."

"I don't believe I've done anything wrong?"

"Sorry, this isn't necessarily a problem of your creation. It concerns the first year exams and, in particular, the case study."

"Okay."

"Now, we share resources with other universities so the exam papers are the result of discussions several hundred miles away and no-one could have considered there would be an issue."

"You haven't told me what it is?"

"The case study is based on the terrorist attack in a London coffee shop last year and the subsequent inquest."

"I see, but you shouldn't have given me advance warning."

"Would it have mattered? Your name was mentioned in one of the court hearings."

"Really?"

"Your role isn't clear, but were you involved?"

"I can't say."

"Then why would your name be mentioned?"

"I have no idea." Tammy sensed that her tutor was fishing and that he didn't have a great deal of information. "In any case, why are we discussing it"

"There's a second case study so you'll be getting that one."

"Did you check all the students in case of a conflict?"

"No, most have never left the Highlands."

"What was the reference to me that you found?"

"One of the solicitors for the terrorists told a newspaper that you had a death sentence on your head."

"Any chance it was a different Tammy Smart?"

"None."

"Any other references?"

"None that I found. Question is, do I need to tell the Vice Chancellor that you're a security risk?"

"Why? Because some terrorists' solicitor allegedly said a name to a newspaper and my guess is there's a few Tammy Smarts in the UK?"

"There are, but the connection is no coincidence in my book."

"It wouldn't stand up in court and I'm sure my solicitor would eat you and the Vice Chancellor for breakfast."

"You have mentioned your solicitor in the past, is this an idle threat?"

"Not at all, it's Jeremiah Smith of Smith, Smith and Smith," Tammy smiled, "I pay him enough each month to get very good service."

"I hope you're not showing off?"

"As if?"

The meeting seemed to have reached a stalemate so Tammy opted to leave, she'd deal with whatever the tutor decided in due course. A phone call to Jeremiah Smith was however needed, Tammy waited until she was sat in her car before calling.

"Miss Smart, what can I do for you?"

Tammy recounted the conversation with Freddie Flint.

"I see, but did you at any point confirm you were involved?"

"No, of course not."

"Then continue that approach, but I am concerned that you may have be given an advantage, or disadvantage, in the exam. That, if it were to become known, could be a problem for other students."

"Perhaps a letter to the Vice Chancellor might be in order?"

"Indeed, I will draft one this afternoon."

"Thank you."

Tammy drove to the office expecting to find Joey there but the office was empty and fully locked up. She fired up her PC and started to check through the emails that Joey had already actioned. A noise from the stairwell dragged Tammy's attention to the office door.

"Oh, hi Tammy, I wasn't expecting you back so soon."

"The session after break turned into a non-event, well, almost a non-event."

"I've been to the bakery and I got you a roll for lunch, if you want it?"

"Thanks."

Tammy munched as she worked, with Joey taking on the job of allocating jobs to the contractors, a call on Joey's mobile interrupted the proceedings.

"Oh, hello?"

Joey walked out of the office and down the stairs but Tammy didn't hear the street door open. It was a few minutes before the younger girl returned and she was clearly flustered.

"What's up, Joey?"

She burst into tears, Tammy went over and wrapped her arms around her employee.

Joey's face was buried in Tammy's shoulder. "Why, why?"

Tammy stayed quiet but gave Joey a little squeeze.

"Why did ...?"

Tammy led Joey over to the coffee table and low seats at the far end of the office, sitting next to Joey but taking her hands.

"I want to help, Joey."

"I don't think you can."

"I can't help if I don't know what's going on, please trust me."

"They told me not to tell anyone."

"Who?"

"Kelly Masters."

"I think Kelly would be okay with me, I asked her to represent you."

"I suppose."

"What's happened?"

"That prick has denied the charges and now the military want to interview me."

"I thought they already did?"

"It was a police interview but one of the military investigators was present. Dad's been allocated a hot shot advocate apparently and they're claiming the interview has to be redone."

"That sounds ridiculous, was your interview recorded?"

"I think so."

"Phone Kelly and ask, but don't agree to an interview unless Kelly's there and it's on neutral turf."

Joey stepped back out of the office to return the call. Tammy meanwhile recalled what Freddie Flint had said and walked back to her PC. An online search brought up several references to herself but when she restricted the results to those in London there was nothing.

She tried several more searches, concentrating on the inquest but there was scant information in any of the newspaper articles. The death of her solicitor, and his assassin's death, was reported without giving Tammy's name.

Tammy's contribution to the trials had been by anonymised statement and she hadn't been made available for cross-examination, so she wouldn't have expected her name exposed. However Freddie had received his information, Tammy couldn't find the source.

Joey came back in.

"She wants me to see her in the morning to go back over Sunday's interview and to see whether a notarised statement can be submitted."

"That's a good approach, but I sense Ms Masters might be out of her comfortable zone."

"She said she hadn't dealt with the military courts before but she phoned a friend for some advice earlier today, she said his name was Jeremiah."

Tammy laughed, "It sounds like she has an idea how to play it after all."

"Do you know this Jeremiah?"

"I suspect she called my solicitor, Jeremiah Smith."

Joey looked confused. "Why do you need a solicitor?"

"I need one for the business, but I've had a few problems over the years. I only spoke to Jeremiah this morning so I can expect am invoice at the end of the month."

"Kelly hasn't said anything about having to pay?"

"I don't think you'll have to pay, you're a witness in a criminal case plus you're under eighteen."

"Oh, I hadn't asked."

"Ask her if you are seeing her in a day or two, she should have had you sign a financial agreement by now."

"There were a few forms, she said they were just the standard stuff."

"Do you have your copies?"

"In my flat."

"Would you mind letting me have a look, just in case?"

"Sure, I'll be fifteen minutes."

Joey grabbed her hoodie and headed out. Tammy sent Marcus a text whilst she waited for the kettle to boil. The secure phone started ringing as Tammy poured the hot water into her mug.

"Afternoon, Captain."

"Hello Lieutenant, I have some news for you."

"And I have a conundrum for you."

"Oh?"

Tammy recounted her conversation with Freddie and her subsequent Google search.

"What's your suspicion, Tammy?"

"I don't think Freddie's gone bad but it looks like he's been got at. It's also odd how Ben Franklin has gone sick, I've not seen him for a week now."

"I would be very careful with Ben, his security clearance is used as target practice by a few folk at New Scotland Yard."

"Yeah, unfortunate, but regardless of that it does look like someone is trying to play me. I have asked my solicitor to write to the University on my behalf, the Vice Chancellor will get the letter in the next day or so."

"Okay, but I wish you had spoken to me first."

"Marcus, my solicitor has a simple job to do, to ensure I don't get thrown off my course for something that's not my fault. He won't trample on anyone else's toes."

"But your tutor will be called into the VC's office to explain himself and then it's your word against his?"

"I have an audio recording."

"Oh, email it please."

"Will do, Marcus. Now, what about Colonel Cooper?"

"What do you know about Joey's case?"

"Very little so far, she's just very relieved that he's been arrested."

"But you staged the arrest."

"Not really."

"Don't play with me, Tammy, you could have stayed away from the hotel on Saturday night?"

"I had to be there, and it didn't complicate matters."

"That depends, Cooper was told to keep quiet at his hearing this morning and just accept the court's decision. Your actions may come into focus later on."

"Really? The guy's an ass and may well be an abuser as well?"

"Tammy, you can't justify interfering just because you don't like someone."

Tammy heard the street door slam and the pounding of feet on the stairs, she put the phone onto speaker mode. Joey burst into the room in tears.

"My flat, it's been turned over, My stuff is ruined, broken or stolen." She collapsed into Tammy's arms.

"Marcus, we have a situation."

"Understood, keep me informed."

Tammy put the handset back onto the phone and took Joey over to the soft seating.

"What happened?"

"The street door was closed but the door into my flat was open, it's a mess inside, I don't feel safe."

"Okay, but you need to report it to the police."

"I don't want to go back there."

"Okay, okay, but you still need to speak to the police."

"Can't you do that, Tammy?"

Tammy reluctantly called the police to report the break in, although Joey had no idea yet what was missing. Tammy told the operator that Joey was a witness in a current investigation.

"What's your involvement, Miss Smart?"

"I'm her employer and a friend of the family."

"Is Miss Cooper there?"

Tammy handed the phone over then put the kettle on, preparing two mugs of tea. Joey had just finished her conversation with the Police.

"Why, why me?"

"We don't know Joey, it might be connected to your complaint and it might be random. Does your landlord know?"

"No idea, I wasn't happy there in any case."

"But it was home?"

"Not really, just somewhere to sleep. Mum sorted it out."

"Now, what are you going to do for tonight?"

"I don't want to go back there."

"Fair enough, but what are you going to do?"

"Can't I stay with you?"

"We're right out of town and you don't have any transport. Is that place on West St ready?"

"It'll be finished in a few days. The painters go in tomorrow, the electricians are there at the moment."

"The shop and the apartment have separate entrances so we can lease the shop without the accommodation. Why don't you have the apartment?"

"I can't afford it."

"We'll worry about that later, but what about the next few days?"

"Can't I stay with you?"

"I'll ask mum, but our spare room isn't available. I really don't think it's appropriate for you to share my room again."

Joey looked as if she was going to cry again.

"I suggest you call Kelly and ask her for advice, then call your mum."

Tammy grabbed her bag and walked down to the street, she needed Joey to take command of her own life. Having your place broken into wasn't good news but it was Joey's responsibility. Tammy recalled the audio recording from that morning and emailed it to Marcus.

She walked into one of the cheaper clothing stores and picked up a pack of knickers and a pack of bras in Joey's size. She added leggings and a long sleeved top. Tammy really didn't want the girl to get too close to her but the problem of a bed for the night was high in her mind. That came down to the Castletown Hotel or maybe the McPherson household, but it was about half past one so Cathy would still be at work.

Tammy recalled that Joey had complained only two days earlier about her flat's security, so was this an opportunist crime?

She picked up some fresh milk and a packet of biscuits before heading back. Joey was talking to her mum and it was clearly a difficult conversation. The secure phone rang so Tammy went straight into the windowless room and shut the door behind her.

"Hello, Marcus."

"We were interrupted, what's going on?"

"Joey's place has been broken into but I don't think we can say it's connected to Cooper."

"Correct, we can't, and you can't. Leave this with the police."

"That's my intention, but I'm already involved."

"That's a part of the problem, Tammy, you're already involved by the time you ask for advice."

"I can't help that."

"You didn't have to employ her."

"I didn't know her connection at the time."

"You didn't know much, except how to drop yourself into the middle of a mess!"

"Not fair."

"Now, going back to your tutor's conversation this morning, did you check what he'd said?"

"Yes, I couldn't find any record of my name in conjunction with the True Freedom idiots."

"Neither could I, and that brings me to my original reason for calling you. We've arrested Captain Nightingale."

"Let me guess, she passed info onto Cooper?"

"Yes, it seems she didn't care for you either so gave him your home and business addresses and then dug out the daughter's address for him."

"Is there any chance she's got more on me?"

"That's a risk, the MPs are dealing with her but it's not looking good."

"Bugger, I did have concerns."

"Yes, Tammy, you did."

"And you didn't believe me."

"I know, Tammy, but let's move on."

"Good, so long as you stop dredging up my faults. Now, has anyone else lodged a complaint about Cooper since he's been incarcerated?"

"Yes, two junior females have spoken to the Military Police here."

"What did they say?"

"I don't know and, as it's now a criminal case, I don't want to know. How much do you really know about him and Joey?"

"Not much, very little in fact."

"Good, keep out of it."

There was a tap on the door, Tammy reached over and opened it.

"Mum suggested I went home."

"When?"

"On the next train, just over two hours from now."

"Okay, that's probably best."

"What about the office?"

"I'll cope, I'm not due in class for the rest of the week."

The buzzer for the street door sounded so Joey went to investigate.

"It really would be best if she goes to her mother's, Tammy."

"Indeed, Marcus, but I suspect I won't see her again."

"Would that be all bad?"

"Yes, I'll have to re-advertise the job!"

Tammy finished the call and went to investigate. Kelly Masters was now in the office.

"Hello Miss Smart."

"Hi, this is all a mess, isn't it?"

"I wouldn't put it like that, it's more of a search for the truth."

"Errr, doesn't the truth depend on who you ask?"

"That's not the way the courts work. In any case, we're due round at Joey's flat to see what's missing and collect any personal items. The police are meeting us there in ten minutes so we should get going."

"Are you coming back here, Joey?"

"I'm not sure we'll have time before my train leaves, apparently I need to do a statement."

Tammy glanced at the shopping bag in the secure room, none of the bits would fit her and it didn't seem right handing over underwear in front of the solicitor.

"Oh, okay. Keep me informed please."

"If I can." Joey turned to her solicitor who just nodded. All this time the secure room door had been wide open and Kelly had clearly had time to look inside, although all she would probably have seen was a desk phone partially obscured by Tammy's shoulder bag and that afternoon's shopping. Tammy fetched her bags and closed the secure room's door but her employee had already reached the street, on the CCTV monitor she could see the pair walking away.

up
393 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It pains me.

It seems quite likely that much of Tammi's trouble comes from homophobes.

I'm Never Going To Thurso

joannebarbarella's picture

It's a hotbed of spies, assassins and plain old nosey-parkers. How else does Tammy keep on getting involved in multiple nefarious activities? She should start wearing a burkha so the bad guys can't recognise her!

Said it before

TheCropredyKid's picture

Crabapple Cove

 
 
 
x

Some how the people

Tammy works for try to spin it to where it is her fault.

Not again?

Jamie Lee's picture

Gads, what is it with these people? They can't get Tammy one way so they try something else. And everytime this happens those going after her end up getting caught. Hasn't the jungle drums passed the word to leave Tammy alone? That going after Tammy results in becoming a guest of stern innkeepers?

Would it be better for Marcus to support Tammy instead of always blaming her for doing what's right? He's more worried about keeping the tarp covering his butt and whatever else he has going on.

That tutor has his butt hanging in the wind, playing along with an unknown person. He'll feel real foolish if he denies saying anything to Tammy only to have her replay the conversation.

Those jungle drums need to sing loud and strong, telling the bad guys to leave Tammy alone.

Others have feelings too.