Roomies - Part 20

Printer-friendly version

A number of weeks later, we had a real holiday. A national holiday, or as they call it in some countries, a bank holiday. Nothing was open. Including Tina & Zoe's coffee shop. Dave announced he was closing the shop & invited Tina, Zoe and the rest of his crew to a cookout at his place. He also instructed Tina & Zoe to drag me along too.

Dave was in full on 'dad mode' in a tacky barbecue apron, being the jovial host and keeping the party as stirred as the coals in his grille. Zoe took it upon herself to bring our collective contribution – a neon green concoction that I quickly learned were her homemade margaritas.

“I always bring Mezcal Maggies” she grinned. At my raised eyebrow, she smiled and raised a finger “Mezcal not tequila.... grand marnier not triple sec.... and juiced real limes – none of that sugary sweet stuff.”

I nodded. It sounded potent. I would be avoiding Zoe's 'Mezcal Maggies'

“Andi loves them, so I always bring a batch.” she grinned wickedly. Then she pulled Tina & me into a huddle and whispered “Only thanks to you guys, I improved the recipe.”

Tina & I exchanged perplexed – and alarmed – glances.

“I call these Viva Muerte Margaritas.” she grinned wickedly.

“Zombie juice.” Tina snorted. Zoe just beamed.

Then Zoe shrugged. “I just added Everclear. Upped the octane.”

I glanced to Tina, who turned to Zoe. “Why, exactly did you ...up the octane?”

Zoe just flashed us a fiendish smile.

At which point Dave interrupted us. “What's with the empty hands ladies? EAT! We've got dogs & burgers and chicken and burgers and ribs and burgers....”

“That's a barnful of choices.” Tina laughed. Andi quickly came up behind Dave with three small plates with barbecued cobs of corn, and what looked like homemade coleslaw and potato salad.”

“Well, at least you have offerings from the field as well as the barn.” Tina laughed.

Zoe turned to us. “You guys have to try Andi's potato salad. It's really unorthodox ….in the best possible way!” And she shot us a look that practically commanded us to accept the plates and take a hesitant bite.

We both turned to each other with big grins. Then turned to the anxious Andi awaiting our reactions.

“Ohmigod. This is amazing!” Tina gushed.

“I'm tasting an almost subliminal hint of chinese hot mustard and tumeric and ….do I taste curry?”

Andi lit up.

“Looks like you cracked it.” Zoe grinned. “I just know it's fuckin' awesome.”

Then she turned to the tote she brought and pulled out her neon green jug. “And speaking of awesome....” she grinned to Andi, whose eyes went wide as a kid on Christmas morning.

Andi accepted it with a big smile as Dave laughed “and now the party really begins!” he leaned in and gave Zoe an uncomfortable hug. “I knew there was a reason we keep inviting you back.” he grinned goofily.

Andi had slipped to the kitchen and quickly returned with some plastic margarita glasses. She offered them to Tina and me. We both smiled and held up our red party cups. Mine was filled with Sprite and I suspect Tina was doing something similar.

“More for us.” Zoe shrugged to the beaming Andi. They clinked plastic glasses and imbibed. Andi knocked hers back quickly and gave Zoe a big grin, quickly refilling her glass and having a demure sip. Zoe nursed hers gingerly and walked off to a quiet corner of the big room off the backyard patio. Andi followed her like the pied piper.

“Well, those two are set for the rest of the party.” Dave laughed. “C'mon out back while I prod my breasts.....” he paused a beat “...and my wings and drumsticks.... they should be ready to turn by now” and he snapped his barbecue tongs like an angry lobster, goofy grin on his face.

Tina and I exchanged eyerolls.

“Anyway, you have to meet Wayne and Vanessa from down the street. They're really fun and they have two boys in college.... twins....” he leered.

Tina winced and shot me a glance. I just smirked. “That'd be great, for later? I have to catch up with that guy....” I motioned with my head.

Tina caught on and bailed me out. “Zack.”

“Yeah. Zack. He challenged me to a game of horseshoes and since he finally got the court, I'm going to take him up on it and school him.” I grinned. Dave nodded, unconcerned that we shunned his plan and seemingly just happy to see us 'mingling'.

The party went on well past sundown, and gradually guests trickled away after realizing they all had work or school in the morning.

We lingered and offered to help clean up, which Dave eagerly accepted. Zoe and Andi were still in a far corner of the spacious living room seemingly huddled in heated conversation.

After I got everything bagged and binned and the dishwasher started, I ambled over to notice the nearly drained neon green bottle between Zoe & Andi.

“Looks like you two are having a party of your own.” I grinned.

“For your information, we're having a serious conversation.” Zoe raised a slightly wobbly finger. Andi nodded.

I raised an eyebrow.

“And none of your stupid sign language bullshit.” she added. Andi nodded absentmindedly.

“I really CAN talk you know,” Andi declared. Startling me. “I just hate the sound of my damned voice.”

I stood in stunned silence. She sounded almost exactly like Harvey Fierstein.

“OK.....” I said. Mostly for something to say. She glared at me.

“SEE???” she held an accusatory finger at me. “THAT'S why I keep my damned mouth shut! That look.... that ….look.... you're giving me.”

“Sorry.” I muttered. “It's just ….so.... I was taken by surprise.”

Andi snorted. “Tell me about it.... story of my damned life.”

“OK.” I said again just for something to say.

She brushed her hand in the air tipsily. “It's a loong story.” she scowled.

“Wanna hear it?” Zoe grinned wickedly. Then she turned to Andi with a pleading look like a dog begging for table scraps.

Andi regarded her for a while. Blinked a few times, then seemed to remember Zoe's request. “....fine.” she sighed. At which point Zoe lit up and beckoned Tina to join us.

I quickly suspected the high-octane margaritas were never intended as a hostess gift. They were Zoe's not-so-secret weapon to loosen Andi up. Dave had pretty much confirmed that. When Zoe beckoned Tina over, he shooed her with a grin and said 'thank God she's finally talking.'

“Hey slowpoke. C'mon....” Andi called out to Tina slapping the sofa cushion next to where she sat, legs folded under her. “I'm NOT telling this twice!” she grinned.

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Woo hoo!

WillowD's picture

I'm looking forward to that story too. Thanks for writing a new chapter for us.

From wine,

truth.