Roomies - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Tina's mom reheated some manicotti and fixed a fresh garden salad.

Tina's dad handled the grilling.

“So how long have you two known each other?” He stared at me.

“It feels like a lot longer that it's actually been” Tina laughed. “It's really just been over a month, but it's like we've known each other forever. Sometimes someone comes along and you really click.... you know?”

Tina's mom nodded smiling. Her father almost hid his grimace.

“You met at work.” He said dryly.

I shook my head. “Oh no. We met before Tina started at the coffee shop. We …..uh...” I had walked full-speed into a corner. I seriously doubted Tina wanted to share with her mom and dad the 'lucky top' encounter. Thankfully, I was rescued by Tina's interruption.

“We bumped into each other at a local ….restaurant.” She blurted. “Chloe rescued me from a bunch of jocks....”

“The bod squad” I smirked.

Tina snorted and nodded.

“Bunch of blowhards.” I muttered. Tina lost it, knowing my true meaning and went red in a fit of giggles.

Her parents gave us a puzzled look. I tried not to catch Tina's contagious laughing, and mostly succeeded.
Tina waved dismissively as she tried to compose herself.

“There's a longer, ...funnier, story there. And I'll tell it when there's time....” Tina smiled, then quietly added “..and some distance.”
Her mom nodded with a small, knowing smile. Her dad scowled.

“So you knew each other before....?” He let the question hang. We both nodded.

“And then the opportunity to move in together came up and we seized it.” Tina beamed.

“It was a great opportunity for both of us.” I interjected. “Tina is SUCH an improvement over my previous roommates.” I gushed.

Tina gave me a warm smile and hand squeeze. Her father caught that and I saw his brow begin to rise before he caught and stifled it.
Tina seemed oblivious to this fleeting interaction. Maybe that was for the best. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in her father's gun-sight.
Tina's mom interrupted the awkward moment.

“Chrissy. Becky Lundquist called and wondered if you were coming back for the wedding. She wants you to call her.”

I mouthed 'Chrissy?' to Tina, who jut rolled her eyes with a slight smile/grimace.

“Thanks mom.” Tina smiled politely. We seemed to be off the inquisition of Tina's roomie, which seemed much more ominous than the chat with Zoe's parents. Who, looking back on it, just thought of me as Chloe's cousin who got roped into moving the entire household. So maybe there was less emotional involvement.

Tina instantly whipped out her phone. Her dad seemed annoyed at this 'inquistion interruptis”. He scowled slightly and got up, leaving the kitchen, but stopping at the door and shooting me a glance.

“We still need to talk... one-on-one. I want to know all about my little girl's roommate.”

I felt the blood leave my face as my mouth went dry and I could tell from his menacing smile, my eyes saucered.

up
373 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry this is so short.

But I'm still polishing the really awkward encounter with Tina's dad. Making it more squirm-worthy with each pass. I think there's more humorous discomfort to be rung out of it....

But I promised I would post something by the weekend... so it's just this meek preamble.

Meanwhile I'm doing what I can behind the scenes to make the punchline worth the setup....

More the moment it's ready. Promise.

K@

What's going on here?

WillowD's picture

I don't think it would be nearly as squirm worthy if dad cleaned her clock. So I doubt the plot will go that way. But I am seriously wondering what's going on here. Why would dad be treating Chloe with way, with Tina totally oblivious to whats going on? The only think I can think of that dad hired private investigators to investigate Tina's roommates. The next part should be very entertaining and a total hoot!

In this case

That would be burning your bridges before you crossed them. When you are young it is best to keep the lines of communication to your parents open and friendly if possible.

I suspect Tina's father has some concerns about his daughter'sexuality, and wonders how Chloe fits in. He picked up the hand squeeze the two shared, and is concerned that this new girl is leading his daughter astray. He may know about Chloe's little secret but I deem that less likely. Not impossible just a low probability.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Still.....

Seems like he should be questioning his daughter if he has concerns rather than her new friend/roommate.

There's more potential for fun this way, but he's out of line.

I saw the interaction as:

I saw the interaction as:
Daddy KNOWS the daughter prefers girls. (Which Chloe DOESN'T know about... Yet.) And he's being an overly protective father and has assumed that they're a 'thing' already and so wants to have that father 'talk' that he would with 'any' person their daughter dates.

Which can 'spark' things in a LOT of ways, quite spectacularly, and knowing how great the author is, will be fun to watch unfold.

I can see that

I would love to see the complications if Chloe is bi and not just boringly straight.

I love this story, as I was

I love this story, as I was rereading it her dad reminded me of monty python, probably because I just watched the holy grail the other night, as I was cracking up reading it he reminded me of the Spanish Inquisition,"nobody expects the Spanish inquisition"