Roomies - Part 16

Printer-friendly version

“Chrissy? What's wrong? You always loved nachos?”

At which point Tina decided to tell the full story of how we met, avoiding just enough graphic detail to not ruin our appetites. Still, that plate of nachos remained pretty much untouched for the rest of our stay at Beaus.

We eventually made our way back to my little Hyundai & squeezed everyone in, when Charles tapped my shoulder from the back seat.

“Could I trouble you to make a little detour?”

I reflexively nodded. “Sure. Where to?”

He shot Tina & her mom a wicked grin.

We had no trouble parking practically in front of the Beaux Artes gallery, because at this time of evening on a weekend most of the little mom & pop merchants were closed and off enjoying their weekend.

Charles motioned for us all to follow him as he walked up to the front door of the gallery, and, pulling a keyring from his pocket, proceeded to let us into the closed gallery, quickly keying in the alarm code and hitting the lights with one hand while pulling out & dialing his mobile phone with the other.

“Hey. It's me. Yeah, I stopped by the gallery because I had some ideas on presentation and arrangement I wanted to try out. So, yeah when the alarm folks call, tell them it's cool. OK. Ciao.” he shoved his phone back into his pocket as he keyed a sequence into the alarm keypad on the wall.

“Bernard?” I quirked an eyebrow at Charles. He smiled & nodded.

“We're lucky to have him. He has no life outside the gallery, so 24/7 when the alarm company calls him, he's here in under 20.” Charles smiled ambivalently.

“...still.... we don't want him crashing in while I'm escorting my special guests on a private tour” he smiled and gave Tina's mom a playful nudge.

He walked us through the gallery giving us a captivating recollection of how he came to be one of the directors.... initially expecting to be no more than an enthusiastic fan.

“They're lucky to have you” I smiled. “You have exquisite taste and an eye for the next big thing” I said waving my arm across the spectacular presentations adorning the walls. “....with only the occasional lapse in judgement” I smiled as I walked up to our P.D. print.

Tina's eyes went wide seeing this all-too-familiar image hanging on the wall next to the stunning pieces that took our collective breath away.

Her mom stared for a moment, then leaned in to read the description card – and stare at the price tag.

“This is YOURS?” Maria asked Tina, the awe in her voice unmistakable.

Tina shrugged. “Chloe's actually. She's the artist.” and she shot me a self conscious grin.

“Oh please. I just give form to Christina's vision.... her prose is so striking....”

Charles cleared his throat and gave Tina and me a chiding scowl. “It's a collaboration.... an artistic ….synergy.... the whole vastly exceeds the sum of its parts.... both of which are staggering in their own rights. It's gained a massive following...”

“Cult following....” I corrected with raised finger as Tina nodded.

“Initially.” Charles shot back. “But not for long.... word IS getting out... and soon it will be as mainstream as a Marvel property.” he smiled.

I caught the look in Tina's eyes. The dawning realization that maybe she had set in motion something that was about to overwhelm and devour her. I had to calm her down.

“We'll see about that.” I cynically said to Charles. Tina began to calm.

“Yes, we WILL...” Charles smiled back as Tina's growing calm evaporated again.

Meanwhile, Tina's mom was just staring at us wide-eyed. Her pupils following our conversation as if it were a tennis match.

“Anyone up for a nightcap?” I asked desperately hoping to change the subject.

“It's barely after dusk....” Charles started to say before I derailed him with my glare.

“....I have just the place.” He smiled conciliatorially to me.

~

It was a delightful cappucino bar, Even Tina's mom approved, and I figured she was a tough sell.

“People slag Greenville as a one-note boring backwater.” Charles grinned. “They should be bright enough to see that there's more to it than the most popular Yelp review.”

I raised my coffee cup in a mock toast. “To the best kept secret in these parts.” I grinned.

Charles ambivalently returned my toast. “Still, I wish the puzzle was easier to solve.... sure it's great that discerning tourists get it...” He mock toasted us. “But this city and the amazing people in it deserve broader recognition.”

I elbowed Charles, recalling my talk with Bo & Lisa the day before. “We need to chat about that.” I whispered with a grin.

Tina's mom smiled and lifted her mug. “To line dancing AND ephemeral arts.”

Charles chuckled. “I guess we're big enough to envelope both.”

We finished our dessert coffees and I dropped Charles off before bringing Tina and her mom home.

I queried Tina quietly. “Are you going to get in any trouble for.....”

“Going AWOL?” Tina smirked at her mom, who scowled.

Her mom shook her head. “No.... nah... not likely.... in fact they're probably relieved that they don't have to deal with me....”

Tina grimaced. “You have every right to be there. You're family.”

Her mom flashed a bitter smile. “Not blood. Just marriage.”

Tina grinned. “That may be a good thing.... aunts Vera and Sophia would be even harder to get away from if you were blood.”

Tina's mom barked a bitter laugh. “Good point!” She got quiet again. “I don't think the boys will be home till late...” she smirked “....and your dad....” she looked at Tina.

“If anyone gets it Daddy does. Just tell him you ran away with me and Chloe.” Tina smiled warmly.

There was ...a moment... between her mom and Tina. Maria gazed at her daughter with the warmest smile.

“As usual.... you're right.” she beamed.

I dropped Tina and her mom home and begged out of coming in. I think we all were done with this day, each for our own reasons, so there wasn't too much pressure. As I headed back to Greenville, I had a thought. An inappropriate thought. 'Better act on it before reason kicks in' I thought. I picked up the phone and called Charles.

“Hey Charles... it's Chloe.... I know this is utterly random and I'm asking you upfront NOT to overthink this.... or even think of it at ALL....” I blushed to myself. “....I don't expect you to know this.... but I don't know who else to ask.... and you seem to know everything and everyone in Greenville.....” I tamped down my embarrassment and soldiered on “.....the other night.... um... last night..... my friend Tina's friends took us to..... I guess you would call it an all-male review.... in the middle of nowhere....”

Charles chuckled into the phone and I could picture his eyebrow raising. “So THAT'S why you didn't return last night....”

“I plead the fifth!” I interrupted with a laugh, trying to keep it light.

“And you already want to go BACK?” His tone was amused yet vaguely lascivious.

“It's NOT what you think!” I vainly protested “....I.... have some, um... unfinished business.....” my discomfort was interrupted by a thought “....IF you can even help me find the place again.... Tina's friend Lauren drove and I..... wasn't paying attention to the route....”

“I'll bet you weren't” I could hear his lewd grin through the phone.

“....so.... do you have any idea what I'm talking about and where....”

“Sounds like Dante's.... in the old stockyard district... middle of nowhere, right?”

I nodded, then caught myself. “Um, yeah.... lots of industrial buildings...”

“But no neighbors to disturb?” I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Yeah.” I replied in a small voice.

“Exit 34 off the interstate. Follow the signs for the recycling center.... then drive about a half mile beyond the turnoff for the landfill... you'll see a large industrial park on your left. I imagine Dante's will be the only lit structure this time of night. By the way... I think they have different theme nights.... it may not be... what you remember....” I could hear the grin in his voice.

“I don't remember much.” I reflexively responded and heard his snort. I flinched.

“....well... I just wanted to warn you.... different nights... different themes.” Charles said quietly.

“Thanks for the heads up. I just have to do a quick errand.”

“Oh?”

“I'll explain later.” I said as I saw exit 34 approaching.

“Yes you WILL. That's the price for using me as your personal GPS.” Charles laughed.

“OK. Gotta go. Thanks for the help!” I blurted and ended the call as I made for exit 34.

As I pulled off the highway I recalled Charles description of the area and thought to myself 'anyone who accidentally took this exit at this time of night would immediately turn around and high-tail it back to civilization'. Bleak and ominous doesn't begin to describe it. This seemed like an area where after dark nothing good or respectable happens. Then I shook my head with a guilty smirk as fleeting glimpses of the previous night tickled my brain. Charles was right. Dante's, while still quite discreetly lit, was the only sign of life in this industrial park.

I noticed the cars parked in the lot were quite different from what I remembered from the night before. No Beetles or Nissans or any of the makes cluttering every suburban mall. There were vans and crazy stretch limos, some of those airport shuttle type vehicles in stealth-black onyx outfitted with reflecting windows, which I guess would better be described as a 'party bus'. OK. Different night. Different crowd.

I made my way around back and looked for an employee entrance. The low pressure sodium vapor light cast the world in an other-worldly sepia. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was Dorothy, about to open the world and get her first eyeful of Oz. I made my way to the back door and looked for a bell. I finally settled for pounding on the metal door, which was quickly opened my a mountain of a man, intimidating but not threatening. He just seemed like a fearsome ogre protecting something of value.

“Entrance is around front.” He immediately said upon seeing me.

I smiled as obsequiously as I could and said. “Hi. No. I'm trying to find one of your ….staff.” I began to wilt as I heard how lame and vaguely stalker-ish that sounded.

He began to fold his arms and put on his well-practiced condescending gaze when I continued.

“.....Scott Miller? …. he was working last night?”

He regarded me for a moment. “No crew from last night is here. This is fetish night.”

I nodded as if what he said made perfect sense.

“OK. I didn't really expect he'd be here.... I just need to get in touch.... it's ….um... well I didn't realize he worked here. I only knew him from high school and had lost touch” I lied, presenting Tina's truth as my own for simplicity's sake.

“I just wanted to get back in touch...” I said as I distractedly fished into my bag and pulled out a small notepad and pen, quickly jotting 'Call me when you can. Christina Aldone's housemate Chloe.' and scrawled my mobile number.

Can you see that he gets this? I asked while I nervously folded the paper and wrote Scott's name – and his stage name in parentheses – on the outside.

He reluctantly took it. “No guarantees.” he said sternly.

I didn't know if he meant no guarantees Scott would get it, would answer it, or that the guy would even try to pass it along. I just flashed a sad smile.

“It's a hail-mary play, but it's worth a try. This is the closest I've come since we lost touch after school.”

The guy conceded a grin. Maybe using the sports metaphor scored me a point or two.

He shrugged, but actually wished me luck before turning back and closing the heavy steel door behind him.

On the drive back to my B&B I tried to convince myself that I had done the right thing.

Charles was waiting up when I arrived home. His mother had already retired, he clearly was waiting for me. I felt a pang, imagining myself in high school, if things had been different, arriving home after a date, lingering at the front door and finally slipping through to find parents awaiting a debriefing. I quickly brushed that thought from my brain and got back to the matter at hand.

I explained, perhaps in more detail than absolutely necessary, my 'girls night out' with Tina and her friends, to Charles' lurid delight. The bitchier the detail, the more he seemed to relish it, chuckling and shaking his head with a wicked smile. I took the tale as far as this morning, Tina's recap of what I missed 'while I was out' and her confession about Scott.... and how I ended up being drafted as her Plus-One at the wedding.

Charles' face melted into a warm gaze at that point, so I added the addendum explaining my errand this evening and asked him if he thought I did the right thing.

He kneaded his chin for a long while. He was seriously processing this question, and whatever his final opinion, I knew I would be grateful for the thought he put behind it.

“Too soon to tell.” He finally said, to my chagrin. I was hoping for a thumbs up, braced for a thumbs down, but unprepared for such an ambivalent response. “Your brash, meddlesome move could end up being the spark that finally kindles the relation that smouldered for years but never found its igniter.”

I smiled, buoyed by the thought. Then he continued.

“Or you could just have reopened and old wound. Brought up unrequited passions that finally faded to a vague background ache with the passage of time, but are now just as inflamed, and impossible to act on as they ever were.”

I scowled. “But Tina knows and doesn't seem to care. The warmth when she talked about Scott indicated she still has feelings.” Then I preempted my own rationalization. “Then again, the awkwardness when she described the moment they recognized each other.... I'm certain it's not disapproval.... but yeah, it's an awkward thing that they will have to work around..... But I have no doubt they can. ….the way she talked about him.....”

“Well, maybe they will be able to get around his ...choice of career... You did say you gave him your number, NOT Christina's, right? That way you can sound him out and see if it's even worth sounding her out.....”

I nodded, relieved that Charles approved of at least something I did.

“Well, you already tossed the match.... only time will tell if old embers ignite.” He smiled. “It's past my bedtime, so if you'll excuse me milady....”

I smiled and grasped his hand. “Thanks for staying up and giving me an ear to bend. I really hope I did the right thing.”

“The pleasure was mine. I hope so too.” And he rose, heading upstairs singing quietly 'matchmaker matchmaker make me a match....'

I looked around for a pillow to throw, and finding nothing, resigned myself to bed. Tina and I had another long drive in the morning.

~

I woke early to the sweet aroma of bacon and coffee downstairs. This time I didn't deny Charles' tasty temptation. As I explained to him with a smile, so many taboos were shattered this weekend that a slice or two of bacon and a buttery biscuit and gravy were the least I would have to atone for.

I profusely thanked Charles and his mom for their hospitality and everything over and above that made my Greenville experience such a memorable occasion. They both thanked me for being such a delightful guest and urged me to come back soon, which I sorely hoped I could. I replied that if they ever found themselves in my neck of the woods, they'd have to let me return the favor and show them around my town.

Mrs Claypoole reflexively assured me that they would, but I knew she was just being polite and had NO intention of traveling nearly that far. She had everything she needed or wanted just outside her front door and we both knew it. Charles, on the other hand got a ….look.... on his face, and I suspected someday when his wanderlust returned I just may hear from him.

After saying my goodbyes to the Claypooles, I swooped by the Aldone homestead to pick up Tina. I thought it would be a quick duck in, pleasantries and swiftly on the road.

What was I thinking?

Tina's mom had a big breakfast waiting for me. ...my second breakfast in as many hours... but I knew it was her 'thank you' for rescuing her from the in-laws at the wedding reception and our little 'girls night out'. So there was no way I could politely demur.

So while I sat at the table, wondering if I could maneuver my top and hoodie to cover an undone button on the waist of my jeans if it came to that, I smiled big and politely dug into this Aldone family breakfast.

Tina, Frank, Sal & Maria all kept the table talk light and breezy. Ken's tone was quite a bit more …focused.

“YOU Miss Saville.... are quite the enigma....”

“How so?” I asked, really not wanting the answer.

“It seems like you didn't even exist 5 years ago.” Ken said with a grin.

I forced a laugh and hoped it came out light. “Oh, I assure you.... I existed... my entire life.”

Ken regrouped. “Let me rephrase that. You have no online presence.... no social media or anything more than 5 years old.... and even much of that is....”

“...pretty barren, right?” I grinned. I had to appear breezy if I was going to sell my firewall to Tina's dad.

“Yeah. When I finally got online, I planted my flag on as many hills as I could.... mostly so no one else could claim it and pretend to be me.... I had that happen to some friends and swore I would NOT let that happen to me..... but yeah.... Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram.... I claimed my name everyplace I could.... even if I quickly determined that it was a haven for trolls and deliberately neglected it.”

“Yet no AOL, Geocities, My Space, Friendster.... nothing older than 5 years.” Ken seemed skeptical.

I scowled. “I couldn't really start an online presence until I left home.... my parents were...” I seemed to squelch a grimace “...my parents were definitely not the social media types....”

Ken raised an eyebrow. I began to think I was going to be able to sell my cover story.

“They're kind of under-the-radar folks..... others might say paranoid.... but they're my parents and they raised me and I love them unconditionally.... so I'll just say they were... more wary than most... they were not big fans of 'the system'” I said making air-quotes with my fingers.

Ken just sat and waited ….so I would've had to expound even if I hadn't planned to.

“Both their parents were anti-war protesters back in the day, and I think that changed the way they viewed the world.”

As expected, that instantly grabbed the attention of everyone around the table of this ex-military family.

“They saw friends of their folks come back from the front and saw the damage.... and saw the way the system treated them when their service was through and they were now just burdens on the systems.... how they were made to feel guilty and greedy for seeking assistance fixing the damage they endured.... Their parents raised them on stories of friends in the movement who turned out to be government plants, deliberately trying to stir things up and agitate people into committing arrestable offenses.... how at some point they became so jaded they just dropped out and joined a commune where my parents grew up.... and when that fell apart, they just stayed underground on their own.... or as they would say 'off the grid'.”

“I had no idea growing up that we were 'off the grid'. I was home schooled, but I presumed everyone was. My folks would take me to be tested and chat with some curious people who would grill me on my education and ask too many questions about my home life. I had no idea what they were doing, but they did. Eventually, I ended up getting my GED and meeting other kids at the exam. It was only then that I began to realize how odd my upbringing was. I wanted to be average, but that was denied me until I turned 18. Then I left home and started acting like everyone else – which my folks never forgave me for ….including getting onto social media. So yeah, I guess as far as the internet is concerned, I didn't exist until I sprang, seemingly fully formed, everywhere at once a few years ago when I was trying to make up for lost time.” I shrugged.

Ken sat back, processing it. I'm not sure he bought it, but he couldn't come up with an instant rebuttal, so he just steepled his fingers and nodded ever so slightly.

“I'm surprised.... after such a ….unique.... upbringing, you turned out so ….unremarkable...”

Tina and her mom (thank God!) both burst a laugh. This genuinely took Ken by surprise. Her mom stifled her amusement and made dismissive hand gestures, Tina just grinned and said “UN-remarkable? Daddy... have you MET my housemate?”

Ken quickly regrouped. “I mean.... homeschooled.... children who have never been properly socialized.... are usually....”

“WHAT.... about Chloe screams 'usual'?” Tina shot back at her father, with her mom nodding in the background. I had not expected this rally around …..me ….and my firewall.... but I was unspeakably grateful.

To my utter shock, and the rest of the family's pleasant surprise, Ken backed down.

He held up his hands. “Please! This is NOT an attack! I'm just.... it's just so... unusual.” His voice lost volume ..and conviction.. as he faced down everyone else around the table.

I began to entertain the hope that I would get us out of here with my firewall intact. For the moment.

I think Ken realized that his skeptical impulses were alienating his whole family, so he backed down. To my surprise and delight.

“No offense intended.” he offered in his own non-apologetic apology. Hands raised and conciliatory expression on his face. “...it's just so... peculiar and unexpected....” he floundered.

My snort relieved him of his awkwardness. “Tell me about it!” I agreed.

Suddenly we were back on the same side. He let it go, and I was glad to concur and move on to more banal chatter.

Eventually we were back on the road. Headed home.

“Oh my God.... I'm so glad THAT's over!” Tina confessed.

“Tell me about it! I was sure your dad breached my firewall.” I laughed.

Tina turned to me. “Oh, God. I wasn't even thinking about that. I just meant... heading home. Sleeping in my old room. Hanging with my old friends.... and apologies for dragging you along.... but thank you thank you thank you for coming out with us!...”

“....because I distracted attention from you?” I smirked.

I caught Tina's blush in my peripheral vision while I focused on the road.

“Well... that too... though it was never my attention to...”

“I know. Glad I could help. But next time, let's try and avoid the alcohol.... by now you know I'm....” I hestitated.

“...a cheap date?” Tina smirked. “Sorry. I didn't know how low your...”

“I only had a breadstick and cup of coffee ALL day!” I defended. “I am NOT that ….cheap.... a date!”

Tina snorted. “Explain again how you ended up with that back tat?”

My forced grimace couldn't completely mask my amusement. I figured 'ideal time to change the subject'.

“So your mom seemed to enjoy our little escapade.” I volunteered.

Tina nodded with a grin, tacitly agreeing with my change of subject.

“She doesn't get out much on her own.” Tina said quietly.

“Then I'm glad we could kidnap her from the wedding.” I laughed.

“....me too...” Tina said. There was no humor in her voice. In fact I'd have to describe her tone as ….introspective. “....SO glad.....”

I reached over, keeping my eyes on the road and she guided her hand into mine, which I gave a warm squeeze.

“So when is your next class?” I tried to change the subject to something less awkward.

“Not til noon tomorrow, thank God. So I get to sleep in.”

“I'll try not to make too much noise when I'm up at six getting ready to grease the wheels of commerce and head out to the first of my jobs!” I mock pouted.

Tina laughed. “What time does Office Oasis open?”

“9. And the custom print desk doesn't open till 10, which gives me all morning to play bike messenger before taking time out for job TWO and bailing at 3 to go back and do the evening runs.” I grinned.

“Oh God, I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it!” She laughed. “Now I'll have to sleep in extra late.” she smirked.

I rolled my eyes. It would be a long day, but after this rollercoaster of a weekend, I was looking forward to returning to the familiar. Though I would have been fine with a few hours less of it.

“I wonder how Zoe's been enjoying having the house to herself?” I grinned. “I haven't seen her for ages, do you think she even noticed we were gone?”

I caught Tina's nod out of my peripheral vision. “I'm sure she noticed. No half pot of coffee left in the kitchen. No leftovers in the refrigerator to nibble on. I don't think I see much more of her than you do, but I notice signs of her presence.”

“Like a mouse.” I laughed.

“Wow. I doubt anyone has ever compared Zoe to a mouse before!” Tina laughed. I nodded.

“I just hope she didn't notice we were gone and decide to prove to her dad why he insisted on her having housemates.” I grinned.

Tina groaned. “Oh God. Now every awful teen comedy is running through my head. I hope she hasn't thrown a rager and trashed the place. Have you met some of her friends?”

I shook my head. So Tina filled me in. “I've met a few at the coffee shop. Let's just say dirtbag Zack was the only one she felt comfortable moving in with.”

“What does that say about the rest?” I grinned.

“Exactly!” Tina laughed.

I was silent for a few miles thinking about this. Tina must have been mentally off somewhere too, because it was minutes before I broke the silence.

“After the drama of her breakup with her ex..... and the heist.... even if it was her own stuff.... do you think Zoe would let her old crowd even know where she's living now.... let alone invite everyone over to a rager?”

Tina thought a while. “Good point. I think she may be seeing this as a fresh start... kind of a reset... I'll bet her old crowd doesn't know where she's living now...” Tina's voice trailed off, then exploded in a laugh. “....especially after that stunt she pulled with the alarm code!”

The laugh that burst from me caught me by surprise. I had totally forgotten how she changed the code so Zack couldn't get back into his own apartment turned meth lab without summoning the cops. Yeah. There was no way Zoe was going to let her old crowd know where to find her.

We both agreed that Zoe was seeming to mellow just a little, though neither of us was so bold as to presume our influence had anything to do with it. Still neither of us was prepared for what we returned home to.

~

When we first arrived home we thought Zoe was nowhere to be found – as usual. When we turned the corner into the living room, we were both startled at the sight of Zoe, barely clad in just black boyshorts and sportsbra, mangled and sprawled on the floor.

“JESUS!” Tina exclaimed and jumped back with a start, nearly knocking me over as I dragged our bags close behind her.

Both our hearts skipped a beat, then were equally startled by Zoe popping to her feet like some spring-loaded toy and spinning to face us.

“Shit! You scared the hell out of me!” She spat.

“YOU?” I shot back. “Oh my god. When we saw you on the floor you looked like you'd been dismembered!”

Zoe's anger instantly transformed into glee as a mischievous smirk erupted on her face.

“Really?” She grinned? “Dismembered?” …She was enjoying this way too much.

“Well...” Tina cut in, “at least like every bone in your body had been broken and someone pretzeled your corpse!”

Zoe's delight just grew. The harder we scowled, the more tickled she became. There was a long, silent standoff. Finally she waved us off.

“It's nothing...” she dismissed. “I'm just ….really limber.” she said with an intensely wicked grin.

“What the hell were you doing on the living room floor?” Tina demanded, still rather rattled.

Zoe was completely back in control. She shrugged it off.

“Yoga.” she said, pointing to the wall mounted TV displaying a woman in sports bra and yoga pants doing some seriously advanced poses ….in 96 inch 4K splendor.

Zoe shrugged. “I usually just do it in my room.....” then she shot us a glare “....but when I noticed you guys apparently ditched me for the weekend....”

Tina & I both blushed.

“....I figured 'what the hell? I've got the run of the house'.... so I made the most of it.”

“I didn't know you did yoga.” I blurted. Mostly for something to say.

Zoe shrugged. “There's a LOT you don't know about me.” She stared at me with an evil smirk. “So now you know one thing. Congratulations.” And with a nasty wink she rolled up her yoga mat and trudged back upstairs, to the privacy of her room.

All I could think of was Tina's dad's mistaken interrogation of me... and how he presumed I was Zoe. I wondered what he knew that we didn't.

Tina and I would soon find out.

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This probably should have been a few separate installments...

...but when I realized how long it had been since I posted anything and how much stuff I had sitting on my desktop.... I figured I had to post at least THIS much.... if only to prove that I haven't given up on this story.

Although I would certainly sympathize with any reader who HAS!

....I have so many juicy ....incongruous pieces.... I'm just trying to thread together... hopefully it won't be so long before I can string a few more together.... So many new people & situations I'm just trying to figure out HOW to bring the story to where I can introduce them.

Reading this as a work-in-progress is insanely frustrating. As always, I'd advise to wait until it's finished to start. That way you can only be disappointed by my story, but never my procrastination. ;-)

K@

Procrastination Isn't All Bad

I should know. I'm a world class expert at the art. Thanks for the new posting.

I do have

to admit I strained a few brain cells re-remembering the plot, but I was and am enjoying the story.

Zoe

I've been waiting for more of her story for it seems like forever. Thanks for the continuation, and I'm getting my hopes up for more zaniness and adventure.

Cool. A new chapter.

WillowD's picture

And from the looks of it, you already have ideas on future chapters. I am so glad that this story isn't dead.

Really enjoying this.

But i find Chloe's situation a little confusing, she seems to be fully transitioned so i don't quite get why she is still working and going to school as a boy.

May be i'm wrong or just not used to how things are done in the states, and it doesnt really matter much anyway, just bugs me a little somewhere in the back of my mind.

Do love the story so far, looking forward to the next chapter:)

paintversion.jpg

Take Another Look...

...at #1. Tom graduated from school with an arts degree before the story began, and he has two jobs in his male persona.

So s/he hasn't completely transitioned, though she's able to spend her time outside of work as Chloe now rather than Tom. This whole extended segment (from #3 on) is a weekend trip that Chloe is taking with Tina, not really part of her normal life.

Eric

Haha. I can't fault anyone for missing ancient plot points

If I posted more regularly (!!!!) this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for noticing that "Tom" is indeed a graduate, using his degree for his prestigious position making logo decals at Office Oasis. And that it was Tina who phoenix-ed his muse.

I'm hoping I can string together the stuff the muse has let me write together soon.

And FWIW, I too have to go back & read what's already been written to get a running start at continuing the tale! :-)

....although I must admit it's a bit easier for me since I just look at old .docx files & the myriad virtual post-it notes I have strewn on my desktop!

Thanks SO much for reading this - already ancient - story.

K@

Chloe is ...ambivalent

With each new story, I try to explore a different ...perspective....

Chloe (Tom) is inherently unsuited to being a boy.... yet is fascinated by 'male privilege' - the stuff 'he' can get away with while presenting as "Tom". So the journey is going to be long and complicated.

Still, Zoe - the "wild" roommate - and other characters - yet to be introduced, will complicate things.

....if the author does her job.... ;-)

K@

Please do continue, it is a

Please do continue, it is a great story. And I have visions of Zoe as a cam domme in her room, earning at all hours!

__

Estarriol

I used to be normal, but I found the cure....

This is really fun

Alice-s's picture

I am enjoying the antics and its a really good fun. I hope the comic takes off. I hope the dad grows up and stops ruining his daughters life. I hope the aunt gets a piano dropped on her. Argghhh. I love this.

Oh, "spy-dad" is FAR from finished....

Even if I was ....ahem.... inspired.... by Robert DeNiro's character in "Meet the Parents", I hope to take Ken to a different place, but there's lots more mischief he can cause.... many disjointed moments already written and just waiting (struggling) to find their place in the coherent narrative of the story.

Right now it's hundreds of virtual post-it notes in my head and I wrestle with putting them in a plausible order and connecting everything.

If I were more disciplined, I would wait until it was all done and post it as a finished work. ...instead, I impulsively post the bits I've managed to string together into a (hopefully) coherent narrative and goad myself to take the next step.

I'm so sorry for everyone who has started reading this and is watching 'the sausage being made'.... and me wrestling with my recalcitrant muse. ....unless you're into watching wrestling.... ;-)

K@

Wrong dad?

At the end of the text:

All I could think of was Zoe's dad's mistaken interrogation of me... and how he presumed I was Zoe.

Shouldn't that be Tina's dad? The interrogation took place in Part 5.

Deen

D'oh!

Thank you, 'editor emeritus'. The posted text has been retroactively repaired. :-)

The author's crimson blush will endure. Thanks for keeping me coherent - despite myself.

K@