Strange Kind of Woman - Part 2 of 2

Printer-friendly version

Being my own boss has both advantages and disadvantages. One of the former, is that if I’m on top of work, I could head off into the country for a long weekend whenever I felt like it. As I already lived in the county I’ve had more than a few questions along the line of ‘why I’d want to go into the country as I was already there’. It takes all sorts to make this world we live in.

That was true but… I was less than thirty miles from central London. Then the roads around my part of Surrey get pretty clogged up at weekends with cyclists. That isn’t bad but the ‘townies’ who come down from London at weekends in their monster Chelsea Tractors seem to think that the roads should be reserved for them and them only. This is not my idea of tranquillity. Ergo, I need somewhere that is deep in the country to relax and be myself.

Thanks to Great Aunt Dorothy, I have such a place. It is located in the west of Herefordshire. In that part of the world, the only time things move quickly are the farmers during the Asparagus Season and once again during the Apple and Pear picking season in September and October. The rest of the time life moves along at a veritable snail’s pace. The drawback is that it is a real PITA to get too especially on Holiday weekends. Thankfully, most tourists bypass the area and head for the welsh coast.

This particular week had seen me complete a commission on the Wednesday and suddenly, I had some free time before I was due to start my next set of gates. It was also the ‘Ride London’ weekend so the road outside both my workshop and home would be closed for much of the day on Sunday so I took advantage of the early finish and headed off to Herefordshire late that evening after I’d arranged for my cat Freda to be fed and watered while I was away.


It was late the next morning when I woke up and listened to the silence. No cars, no passing traffic and … nothing apart from birdsong and a few cows in the distance. Absolute bliss.

Eventually the call of nature and a desire for some coffee got me out of bed.

After breakfast, I went upstairs and into the second bedroom of the cottage. There before me was my secret desire all ready and waiting. Ever since my Aunt had discovered me wearing some of her clothes during a childhood visit, I’d had a place of refuge and safety where I could dress as I pleased and be myself.

As I selected what items of female attire to wear, I began to smile. I remembered Aunt ‘D’ taking me and sitting me on her lap. I wasn’t even eight years old. Far from punishing me, she hugged me and told me that she knew exactly what I was going through.

After a bit, I began to trust her and she showed me the clothes that her late Husband, Geoffrey had worn when he was home on leave from the Army. He’d been killed in a training exercise on Germany before I’d been born but somehow, she’d never had it in her to get rid of his female wardrobe. He’d worn the clothes only when he and Dorothy were alone. This caused obvious sadness to her.

When I was older, we shopped together for my own and gradually the number of his clothes dwindled until there was just a few things remaining. This made Dorothy very happy which also made me happy. For a few days or even a week, two or three times a year, I could be myself.

I selected a flower patterned pleated skirt and a lilac coloured top to wear that fateful Thursday.

As I put them on and applied a little makeup my spirits rose. Finally, I undid my hair from its usual pony-tail and brushed it out. A little styling and some spray, and I was all set to face the day.

I slipped on a pair of cream coloured sandals and went outside to inspect my garden. I employed a local man to keep it looking good and as it was mid-summer, things were coming into full bloom. I felt alive again for the first time in weeks. The lupins and hollyhocks were in full bloom and smelling sweetly. My hideaway home from home even had roses growing around the back door just like all those biscuit tins of old.

I spent an hour just wandering through the garden just enjoying the smells and the sights. A few flowers had seen better days so I deadheaded them. There were bees everywhere which pleased me no end. A neighbour from over the hill kept at least a dozen hives in the area. Most of them were used to pollinate the numerous Apple and Pear Orchards in the area. At this time of year there flowers in my and many other gardens allowed them to gorge themselves on nectar.

I felt totally at home here but I knew deep down that it was getting harder and harder to leave and go back to my home in Surrey and get back to work. Despite me living very simply I just didn’t have enough money saved to stop work and move here and live as the real me, Annabelle full time.

“One day,” I said to myself, “One day.”

After another tour of the garden, I went into the kitchen and made myself some lunch.


I was sitting in the shade of an old Apple Tree relaxing after finishing lunch when I heard a car pull up on the other side of the hedge.

“Hello?” came a female voice.

‘Oh well’, I though. I can’t dodge this one. I also hoped that it wasn’t a local just stopping by for a chat. Sometimes, those little chats can involve several pots of tea and several hours in time.

I got up and walked towards the gate.

The woman turned and said,

“I’m looking for Lavender Cottage?”

As she said those first words, I knew it was ‘her’, Mrs Nancy Blackmore.

My face must have gone as white as a sheet.

“You look as if…”

Then she smiled.

“I know you...”

My heart stopped.

“You helped me out with my car when I ripped off the exhaust.”

“Guilty as charged I'm afraid.”

“Thanks for telling what happened to the Police. Apparently, they found my car on some CCTV camera not long after I’d left here. They were not that happy at first. They thought they’d got me until your call came in. They let me go the next day after their tech people had looked at the car. Your repair was there for all to see.”

“It really wasn’t anything. I just told them what happened that’s all.”

Then I changed the subject.

“Lavender Cottage is back the way you came about a quarter of a mile. You can only see the sign when going that way. You went right past it.”

I hoped that she would take my directions as an end to our conversation.

“Thank you. Can I turn around in your drive?”

“Please. Go ahead.”

To make sure that we were done, I turned and walked back to the table under the tree and picked up my lunch things and went into the kitchen without looking back at her.


Once inside the cool kitchen, I sat down and cried. The only things that I could think of was ‘Why did it have to be her?’ and ‘Why here?’
I’d managed to keep my two lives totally separate until today. It felt like I was doomed.

The only plus point was that she hadn’t laughed herself silly at the sight of me wearing a skirt or tried to take a picture of me to be plastered all over social media.

After a while I’d recovered enough to do the dishes and tidy things away.

The property she was looking for, ‘Lavender Cottage’ was up for sale. It was an order of magnitude smaller than her old home near Horsham. It was as the agents say, ‘a very desirable’. Hopefully, I thought that if she bought it, it was a second home that would be used just a few weekends a year and that our paths would rarely if ever cross.

She didn’t return so gradually, I relaxed and enjoyed the decent weather as much as I could, the remainder of my time but the place felt desecrated. It was as if some ghost had walked all over it. My secret hideaway was not a ‘secret’ any longer. I felt violated. Violated that my cozy little world had been discovered by someone who also knew about my other life.

By the time I went to bed that night, I’d accepted that sooner or later my hideout would be discovered. The thing that troubled me was that why did it have to be her that found me. She was so effing beautiful that… well that was the problem. No matter what I did or how many operations I had, I could never look even remotely as good as her. In my eyes, she was perfect.


I didn’t see ‘her’ again before I left the Cottage for the trip home late on the Sunday Evening.

After a week, thinking about work stopped me brooding about the encounter with her and everything. The events of the weekend took second place to things at had like feeding Freda and how I was going to deliver a 6 metre long gate to a place the other side of East Grinstead but the even was never far from my mind. When it did bubble up, I would shudder for a few seconds before getting on with something else just to keep it in check for the time being.

Two weeks after the encounter with ‘her’, I was relaxing at home with a beer and Freda purring gently on my lap as I watched a TV programme that I’d recorded earlier in the week when there was a knock at the front door.

With a sigh, I went to open it.

It was ‘her’.

“Hi. I promised that I’d drop by when I was in the area and... Well, here I am.”

“Oh!”

“I can go if it isn’t convenient?”

She smiled at me. I knew that I’d have to let her in. Well, part of me wanted to run a mile and another part of me wanted to be in her presence.

“Please come in.”

I let her in and showed her up to my flat. She was wearing a beautiful yellow dress that had black piping around the scooped neck. A single strand black pearls was the only jewellery that she was. Clearly a case of less is more. Delightful and most certainly not bought from an online or a high street store.

“Can I get you something to drink?” I asked getting my brain back into gear.

“Something non-alcoholic if possible. I’m driving.”

I chuckled.

“That does not stop most of the locals but I have some homemade Lemonade in the fridge. Is that ok?”

“Real Lemons?”

“Is there any other way?”

“That will be fine.”

“Please take a seat and I’ll get to the drink.”

She didn’t sit down but followed me into the kitchen.

“This is very nice,” she said looking at the décor.

“Really? Don’t you have a stonking great house to live in?”

She laughed.

“That place was only rented. In reality, he had very little money. It was all for show. He was a con man, pure and simple. We were not really married. I just changed my surname to match his. To be blunt about it, I was only there to show my tits and legs to the marks. But I did get a lot of pretty decent clothes out of it. He always used to say, keeping up appearances makes money.”

I didn’t know what to say so I let her continue.

“Now that the court case is over I need to get away from London and all that it entails. The numbers of cameras that were pointed in my direction every day during the trial convinced me that it was time to get out of town. That’s why I was house hunting in Herefordshire. I watched one of those daytime TV shows about moving to the country that went down there and… it sort of sounded remote and quiet and where no one would know me...”

Her words stopped me mid thought.

“Oh!”

“I know it seems strange but I was really looking for a new place to live and not a holiday home.”

“And we met again?”

“We did. I had no idea that you had a place down there?”

“Not many people do and I wanted to keep it that way. I inherited it. But the people with enough money for what I do for a living are here so my work is here. Herefordshire is my bolt hole. For the real me that is. This here is just until I can get enough money to move down there for good.”

I poured her a glass of lemonade and handed it to her.

“Thanks.”

“Please take a seat,” I said slightly nervously.

She sat down and cradled the glass in both hands.

“How long have you been saying that to yourself? You know moving down there…?”

I sighed.

“Too long but one day.”

“Don’t make it too long. I’d like to have a friendly neighbour.”

“Are you buying Lavender Cottage then?”

“It seems so or at least that’s what my Lawyer told me yesterday. The seller has accepted my offer for the place including the contents.”

“Including the contents?”

“Yeah. Saves hunting for furniture. I suppose I’ve gotten used to living in fully furnished places over the year and everything I saw when I viewed the place seemed to be perfectly suited to the place. Besides, I don’t have any of my own. Furniture that is. The place… The place where he died was rented fully furnished.”

“When? When should the deal close?”

“They are saying at the end of next month. I’m a cash buyer so there won’t be any finance to sort out but you never know lawyers eh?”

“Yeah. Slow means more money to them.”

“Why did you come? Here I mean?”

“You did ask me to call in if you remember?”

“Oh yes I did.”

Then she said,

“I don’t want to impose but… Well, I have to say that I’m not a threat to you. I know only too well how hard it can be for people like you. The other you that I saw you in Herefordshire I mean.”

I was about to say something but she raised her hand.

“I need to say this. I had a dear friend as a child who was like you. For years Ian would dress in private and even go out with me from time to time. We were like two sisters when we did that. Then his dad found out about his other side and lost it. I mean totally lost it.”

She sighed and looked really sad.

“Ian suffered at his hands and can never be the same again. He can never be anything again. His dad threw him down the stairs and subsequently ended up in a coma. He woke up a month later but is severely brain damaged.”

Then she managed a smile.

“The thing is that if anyone tries to dress him in male clothes he gets rather violent. Put a dress on him and he’s as happy as a lamb. He’s happy in his own world…”

She paused.

I saw a small tear form in the corner of her eyes. It was obvious that this Ian friend of hers meant a lot to her.

“When I saw you… dressed like that and looking so happy, the memories of Ian came flooding back. You see, I do understand and I would love to get to know you, both of you a lot better. You helped me in my time of need and for that I owe you but… If you tell me to go I will and I won’t bother you again.”

She’d put me right on the spot with her statement.

“I… I can’t…” I muttered. Every minute she was here in my home made me want to be with her even more.

She made a move towards the door.

“I… I can’t ask you to leave. If you would like to try… try being a couple then I’d like to try.”

She stopped mid step.

“Sorry, I’m rambling,” I said as I tried desperately hard to think of something that would keep her here.

“No, you are making perfect sense.”

“But why me? You are so beautiful and intelligent. You could have a relationship with just about any man you want.”

“Yeah I could but you are different. For starters, you didn’t hit on me when we first met. After we’d accidentally met in Herefordshire I realised that you were the sort of person I’d like to get to know properly. You are totally the opposite to all the men I’ve had in my life for the past five years. That’s why I came here today. I was sort of hoping that you might feel the same about me.”

She came up to me and after wrapping her arms around me, she gave me a big kiss.

When we came up for air, she said,

“I do have one problem though. I’m currently homeless until my purchase of Lavender Cottage goes through.”

I laughed.

“I have a spare room you know. This place isn’t much but…”

“You say the nicest things.”

Then we kissed again.

The purring that was coming from Freda as she rubbed her head against her legs told me that she approved of Nancy as well.

I sensed that my life was never going to be the same again. This “strange kind of woman” had really gotten to me. This time for good or so I hoped.

There once was a woman

A strange kind of woman

The kind that gets written down in history

Her name was Nancy

{words from ‘Strange Kind of Woman’ by Deep Purple}
[the end]

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful

Christina H's picture

As per usual your stories as spot on and make very easy, happy reading

Christina

Nice

I like a happy ending!

Janice

Reason Nancy didn't put her down

Jamie Lee's picture

When Nancy saw her relaxing at her other home, it seemed rather strange she didn't make fun of how he was dressed.

Only at the end was the reason explained, and why she returned. And she found a man who she wanted to be with. A man who treated her with respect despite her beauty.

Others have feelings too.

Loved it!

You always find a way to make my day.

Tale

A lovely, sweet and gentle tale.

Joanna

Highway Star

Lucy Perkins's picture

Absolutely adored this story Samantha... As ever you weld your stories to the countryside that I love and create believable and likeable protagonists... Not to mention a line from Deep Purple...that's a long long time since I first bought Machine Head as a giddy 12 year old in 1981...The difference between the good of us and the bad.......Wait for the ricochet....
Lucy

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Te-he

Hush, sweet child of mine
Don't be a speed king or you will get the Demon's Eye
Shield those who want to throw you into the fire and spread smoke on the water
Then one rainy day you can Listen, learn and read on
We can work it out