Mole Hunt Chap. 12

Printer-friendly version

“Good morning, Mouse.” As Mouse enters the computer section.

“Hey Thomas, how has your morning been?” Mouse stops to talk with Thomas. He was into heavy metal and Industrial music like she was.

“I had to come in early this morning. Someone tried entering the secure files that are sealed. Whoever it was, managed to disarm most of the firewalls, but the last one stopped them. They left the system in a hurry though when they couldn’t get past the last firewall.”

“Did you manage to track them?”

“Nope, but since we have been having a lot of intrusions lately. I wrote a program to record all traffic into the system. That way I can bring up the traffic and IP address they came from at a certain time.”

“That makes sense, forward the information to my console and I’ll help you out. I have a special hunting programming.” Mouse was thinking her Beagle program could sniff the person out. After it does its job, she’ll send the wolf pack out to get them.

“Alright.” Thomas heads back to his desk and looks over the information. Whoever it was, looked to be good, but when they couldn’t get through the last firewall. They broke off the connection rather bluntly.

Thomas couldn’t figure out who the hacker was, so he sends the information to Mouse’s console. He knew if anyone could find or track the person down, it would be her.

He walks over to her desk “I sent you the information.”

“Alright, let me see what I can find.” Mouse starts looking at the information Thomas gave her. She recognized some of her codes in the
program they used to enter the system and the paths they took. She lets loose her Beagle program to try and track the person down.

Hex taps into the coffee house wireless system he was at and breaking into people’s cell phones and devices. He starts downloading their information from their devices. There was one person he was after. He glances over towards the good dress businessman eating a chocolate covered crème filled croissant and drinking his custom ordered coffee. It was the same coffee he got every morning.

Hex hated the fact he couldn’t get past the last firewall on the secure files at MI 6. He was going to try again tonight to get into their system. He wishes that Mouse hadn’t gone straight like she did. She was one hell of a hacker, but she got busted by the MI 5 undercover agent that had infiltrated their gang. Plus, she had been in the hospital from being shot.

He couldn’t believe how ignorant most of the people here in the coffee café were. Only a few had some sort of security on their devices, which could still be hacked. The information he was getting from their devices. He could sell that information to identify brokers and a few others he knew.

As he is sitting there using the cafes internet, a beagle appears on his screen and the words “Gotcha” appears. He stares at it for a minute before it hits him on who it is. He tries to shut down, but he was locked out. He knew if he didn’t pull the battery who he thought it was, would have everything he had.

MI 6 Cyber Division:
Mouse had sent her beagle program out to search for the hacker and after forty minutes it found what it was looking for. She remotely turned on their camera and it was who she thought it was. It was her friend Hex. He should know better than to be using her codes and software. That was the reason her beagle program found him so fast. He was using programs she wrote when she first started off in the hacking game.

She activates her Ripper program and starts ripping information from his hard drive. She wants to know who it is that he is working for. Hex was a small-time hacker that normally went after ATM’s and credit card companies. She knew she only had a few seconds before he removes the battery from the laptop.

She does bury in his ram a computer code to activate quietly and alert her when he turns the machine on again. She puts a secondary command hidden in his bios as well. Just in case he finds the first one. She watches as she loses connection to his laptop.

“At least I know who you are now.” A smile appears on Mouse’s face.

Coffee Shop:
Hex manages to pull the battery. He flips his laptop back around and couldn’t believe who just caught him. The beagle and the words that appeared were Mouse’s trademark. Now, he knew he’ll have to be careful.

Agent Raymond is going to have to, either pay him more money or find another hacker to get what he wants. He knew how good Mouse is and it wouldn’t take her any time to track him down. He packs up his gear and leaves the coffee shop before the police arrive.

MI 6 cyber division:
Mouse looks over what she was able to grab from Hex’s hard drive. The information she managed to grab, showed that someone in the camera division gave him supervisor access. She runs the code against codes already on file and finds that this code had been assigned to
Count Nelson Rudd. She runs his background and finds out he is one of their computer engineers.

“Now, what is your connection to Gavin Raymond?” She digs into his files and after searching for almost two hours.

She finds the answer. Him, Gavin Raymond, and Diplomat Francis Baring were closely associated with one another. They attended the same schools and collages together. Their wives were close friends and they own several businesses together.

“Okay, that explains that, but why is he working with a known gang.” Mouse brings up the area that they knew of where the gang conducted their business and where the cameras have gone down. There wasn’t much in that area.

She sends the information to Anika’s and Bart’s cell phone to check out. She gets a ding, letting her know about an Indian diplomat. *The email was from Dakota. She reads it and a smile appears on her face when she gets to the end of it. Dakota wanted her to remove the identities from the Indian diplomatic computers. She also wanted her to put an arrest warrant out for the diplomat himself.

She breaks into the diplomatic computers and erases their credentials. She also puts out an arrest warrant through Scotland yards for the arrest of the diplomat. The email Dakota sent her was rather interesting.

Anika and Bart:
Anika and Bart watch as Gavin Raymond left his home. Bart had tagged Gavin’s car with a tracker, so they could follow him discreetly. Terry and Alexa still haven’t added the weapons to the Nobel yet, however, he did have his attack drone.

“You know, you should get Nobel back to Alexa, so she can finally add his weapons systems.” Anika missed her Jaguar.

Bart glances towards her “you’re only saying that because you miss your Jaguar.”

“No, am not. Yes, I miss my Jaguar, but were in a vehicle that has no onboard weapons.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time we have done this.”

“True, have you heard from Soheila Arabnia lately?”

“No, not lately. The last I heard, she was living in Australia.” Anika met Soheila while doing an assignment for her brother.

The woman was a highly trained assassin that no one knew who trained her. Rumor had it that she was a member of the Nizari Ismailis. Jack and Cheshire had a few run-ins with her. Someone hired her to kill Cheshire, but Soheila didn’t know about Jack. Between the two, they set a trap for her and captured her.

Jack and Cheshire, let her go and promise not to say a word about what happened. They had a few more run-ins, but each time it ended up in a draw. The last time they met, they had to save Soheila from the people that hired her. They turned on her and tried to kill her.

“I wonder if she is enjoying life in Australia?” Bart didn’t think she was the type to live there.

"Who knows, she's as mysterious as Cheshire." Anika hears her cell phone beep. She looks at it.

“Looks like Mouse has dug up more information about Mr. Raymond.” Anika was looking over it.

“What did she dig up?” Bart was curious.

“That he has two others helping him. Also, the gang activities around the area we are heading into. Anika spots something while looking at
the information. It was a warehouse they were currently following Gavin too.”

“I wonder what they have hidden there?”

“That makes two of us.” Anika just watches as Gavin leads them there.

Once they arrive, they park a block away and watch as Gavin goes inside the warehouse. Bart taps the flat screen in between the dash. The flight commands pop up on the front windshield.

“Launching drones.” Bart launches two mini-drones from Nobel.

“You know this type of improvement makes our job easier.” Bart Liked the mini-drones from Nobel. They were made from clear material and you couldn’t hear them or see them as they flew.

“They might make things easier for us, but you need to be skillful to use them.” Anika takes drone 2 and flies it near a window. There was just enough of an opening for it to slip inside of a broken window.

Bart’s drone 1 finds another route to get into the warehouse. He spots four men standing together and talking. Bart turns the mics on, so they can record what is being said.

Inside the Warehouse:
“How much longer is it going to take?” Gavin looks at the man he hired.

“It’s almost done. We are doing some final checks on it and planning on doing a field test to make sure everything is working right.”

“Well, you need to hurry up. We have a limited time frame where we can do this. Raymond is already under investigation at work.” An older man that Anika and Bart didn’t know had spoken.

“Bart, run his facial.” Anika wanted to know who this guy is.

“Already on it. I’m running all of them except Garvin’s.”

Count Nelson Rudd pops up on the screen. Then Diplomat Francis Baring, and the last one was Carl Herman. Under Carl Herman’s name. He is listed as an aeronautics expert.

“Why would they be meeting with an aeronautics expert?” Bart was wondering about that.

“I would like to know as well. Let’s see what happens and after they leave, have the drones scan the place and we’ll get Terry to look at the footage. He might have some idea about what they are doing and talking about.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Anika just kept watching the footage coming in from the drones.

After the men leave, the drones scan the whole room for everything in it.

*See The Devil’s Chamber Part Nine for further explanation

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The minute sizes of drones of

The minute sizes of drones of today are a godsend for not only the military, but police forces and detective agencies all over the world. They definitely help in keeping personnel safe and sound in many instances; yet also able to perform their mission or tasks with greater capabilities than before.

They get the most press but

They get the most press but the same surveillance drones used by police and military can also be used by search and rescue personnel especially ones equipped with thermal imaging.

Seriously, sending up a drone in rough terrain to see signs of life or hotspots saves hours of searching for !missing people or thousands of gallons of precious water at fire scenes...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

They can also be used for

They can also be used for unethical surveillance of people for whom they haven't bothered to get warrants by simply staying higher than the normal limit, and using both audio and video recording. Not to mention the paparazzi.

To me, I'd require a warrant before any drone could be even lifted off of the ground by a law enforcement officer, anywhere but a training location.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

So What?

There are a number of common everyday household items that lend themselves to misuse by unethical people. Drain cleaner, for instance. Baby monitors. Common household tools. Baseball bats. Etc, etc, etc. Are you going to control everything? The drone genie is out of the bag. The can be made cheaply by most any half-skilled homeowner.

The thing is, you can't safety-proof everything. Would you be willing to surrender your tire iron? A favorite tool of street gangs everywhere, as well as burglars. Just stop putting them in cars, then if you have a flat you can call a government-approved road service who is licensed to carry a tire iron. Sounds like a good idea, right?

Drones can only see the outside, and you have no reasonable expectation of privacy when outdoors. Anymore than you do walking down the street and your neighbors or retail shops have outdoor surveillance cameras.

BTW: Unethical does not mean illegal.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You misunderstand. If

You misunderstand. If someone wants to drink drain cleaner, that's their business. However, I have a reasonable expectation of privacy, especially in the 'no fly zone' altitude, which has ALREADY BEEN SET. However, drones are allowed to go all over the place in that range.

However, I said _the authorities_ should be _required_ to get a warrant to utilize drones. That is, the people whose jobs depend on finding people to harass, arrest, charge with crimes, and put in jail so they can give other criminals the jobs of being jailers.

If I want to sit outside your house and stare at your windows, I'm allowed to do that - until it becomes stalking, or even just loitering. An employee of the government has given up that ability while on duty. Drones are simply an extension of that.

[edit] - Drones can see inside houses. Infrared/thermal, plus backscatter x-ray.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.