Born Twice - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Born Twice
By Alyssa Plant

Chapter five

Becca trembled in Tony’s arms, she felt so utterly weak and powerless, this man had heard her story, and still liked her, still wanted her.

Becca Closed her eyes, she was so happy. She never saw the fist coming.

She felt the fist connect with her stomach and she fell back onto the pavement winded, he towered above her with a mask of rage distorting his features.

‘This is it.’ She thought, ‘It was too good to be true’

She saw a foot come falling down towards her face and as it connected, she realised it tasted like carpet.

Becca opened her eyes; yes, it was carpet; her bedroom carpet. She had fallen out of bed, it was all a bad dream.

She rolled over and stared up at the ceiling of her room and waited for her heart to stop vibrating inside her ribcage. Casting her mind back to the night before, she remembered her fear, the talk, the kiss….

Her beating heart was replaced by the squiggly feeling in her stomach. Was this what love felt like? Was there such thing as love at first sight?

Becca picked herself up from the floor and trudged through to the kitchen to make herself a coffee. The clock on the wall read 10am.

She stretched and looked around her apartment. It somehow felt like home now. Even thought it had only been a day. She felt grounded now. Finally she had ties in a place. And her life seemed more solid. She had something to live for.

Some time later, a more human and more suitably dressed Becca left her apartment building.

She was a woman with a mission, Ever since she had been a little girl, she had wanted to be a police officer, now that she had her own life, it was time for her to fulfil her dream.

Riding the bus into downtown Portsmouth was an interesting experience for Becca, she was finally seeing the place where she lived; people going about their lives.

The bus pulled over at the stop downtown, and Becca stepped down to the pavement. The City seemed bigger. Alive now, Of course she had been in the downtown area the night before, but it was quieter then. The bustle was disorientating.

If this had been a film, time would have slowed down and the camera panned around Becca standing on the sidewalk in the midst of the flowing human sea. But its not, and standing still for any amount of time would have left her trampled and hospitalised. So Becca forged forwards, and along the sidewalk till she came to the main police precinct.

Becca felt increasingly nervous as she climbed the steps to the building, Her subconscious told her something had to go wrong as the mist of her dreams condensed into reality.

Smiling at the man holding the door for her, she stepped inside the lobby and approached the main reception.

A bored looking Sergeant was alternately filling in a form and drinking from a ‘DAD’ mug.

After standing at the desk for what felt like an age, Becca coughed lightly, and the Sergeant looked up startled

“Oh sorry Ma’am, I didn’t see you there, what can I do for you?” the man smiled

“Um, I’m not sure of the procedure, but I was wondering if you were recruiting at the moment? She asked hopefully.

The Sergeant looked a bit surprised. “ you don’t strike me as the type, still, yes, we are, I don’t think we ever stop recruiting.” He chuckled

“Let me make a phone call and ill have someone come down and see you, have a seat over there” he gestured to a row of bolted down plastic seats by the wall.

Becca thanked him, and took a seat on the hard plastic.

“Hardling? Yeah… all quiet, one of those days… Got a kid down here who wants to talk to you about getting on the force…. Yeah, ok, ill send her up… Yeah, later…”

Listening to the half a conversation, Becca approached the desk as the Sergeant hung up the receiver and waited expectantly.

“Ok Miss, take the elevator over there” He gestured to the far side of the hall, “And ride up to the 6th, Our recruiting officer will meet you there. Good luck” he smiled.

“Ah, thank you, goodbye” Becca crossed the hall to the elevator, and after waiting for a moment, stepped into the steel box.

As the elevator reached the 6th floor, the knot in Becca’s stomach returned.

As the doors of the Elevator slid smoothly open, Becca was met by a tall matronly looking woman,

“Rebecca Anderson?” the woman asked, extending her hand. “ My name is Detective Hardling, please call me Mary”

Becca shook the police woman’s hand, and followed her to a small office off the main floor.

“Please have a seat Rebecca” Mary said gesturing to a chair in front of her desk, “So, why do you want to join the Portsmouth PD?

“Because I’ve been at the hands of injustice, and I know how it feels to think you’re alone, and that nobody can help you, or will, and I want to have the chance to be there for others who cant help themselves. I want to protect and enforce the laws for honest citizens who have done nothing wrong, and bring those who break laws to their selfish knees.”

Becca felt herself getting flustered; this was something she felt passionate about. Detective Hardling seemed to be smiling at least.

“Your British aren’t you?” The detective asked.

“Yes, well, half, my mother is American, so I hold dual citizenship, so my nationality wont be a problem?”

“of course not, it might have been had you been entirely British, but considering your Resume, I don’t think there will be any issue. We have an academy class beginning in a week’s time, can I sign you up for that?”

"Oh, id assumed that class would be full now, id expected to be stuck in the application process past them..."

"Were down on recruits over recent years" Hardling said almost ruefully, "So we have plenty of space right up to the wire."
Becca couldn’t say yes fast enough.

Returning home later that afternoon, her hand sore from filling in forms, Becca unlocked her apartment door to hear her answering machine bleeping.

Her heart bubbled like a school girl as she pressed the play button, hoping for Tony’s voice.
She didn’t have to wait long.
After several Utilities calls, she heard his voice:

“Hey there, just wanted to say I had a wonderful time last night, I cant believe I’ve found someone so wonderful, I guess this is a first for me, I’m not usually this tongue-tied, but can I see you again? Please? Call me…”

As the message ended, Becca was dialling…

“Denelli”

“hey its me” Becca rolled her eyes at saying ‘me’ one of her little habits, hoping people recognised her voice.

“hey there, I was wondering when you would call, how are you?”

He knew her voice, her tummy flipped happily. “I’m wonderful, I just got accepted to go to the Police Academy I was so worried they wouldn’t want me. How are you?”

“yeah, better now you called, PD huh? That’s a surprise, wow, didn’t figure you for the type, but that’s awesome, congratulations! When can I take you out to celebrate?”

“how about when I graduate?, but I might let you take me out on Thursday… maybe.” Becca grinned and twirled the phone cable around her finger as she spoke.

“you might huh? Well Thursday it is then, hope I don’t inconvenience you milady…”

Becca giggled, “Well then good sir, don’t be late….Bye”

“Bye”

Becca clasped the phone to her breast, god she liked this guy, he made her feel so special, like the only woman in the world.

Was this how life was meant to be?

A tear rolled down Becca’s cheek as she wished that her parents could see her now. The depressed, distant boy that they rejected was long gone. She was a happy, successful, pretty girl, and they would never see that…

Life clearly wasn’t perfect.

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Born Twice Is Nice

Becca getting on the Police force is problematical. Will they allow a pre-op Trans-girl on or will they say no to her.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Story's moving fast!

She sure doesn't waste any time, but of course she's been planning this for a while - I'd have thought that she'd have researched beforehand as to when a police academy course was starting, and whether her dual citizenship would have needed any clarifying, tho!

I'm wondering along the same lines as Stanman as well.... She sure filled out a lot of forms and I'm sure that quite a few of them would have asked her to check off M/F under 'Gender' (even if it should be labeled 'Sex', but that's another issue). I would think that she would have to had revealed her status as pre-op, if not now, then at least when she goes for the physical....?

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

No, it shouldn't

No, it shouldn't be sex, it should always be gender. Sex has nothing to do with it unless you want to procreate. It is the whole basis of being transsexual; your sex has nothing to do with your gender!

To answer the comments:

I know two TGirls officers who transitioned after gettgin onto the force,and one that was trnasitioning while going through the police academy.
One of the first two was in England, and was one of the first transitioned officers in the country.
The other is here where I live in California, as was the one who went through the academy here, and is presently on a nearby police force.
However, as far as whether it could happen most places, I doubt it.
As the the sex/gender thing, I've filled out a lot of job applications, and they have all asked for my 'SEX , not Gender, or Sexual Orientation. True, none since 1968 were for police work, though I doubt that would make a difference.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

reply

Thanks for the comments guys and girls. I apreciate the debate and i knew parts of this would set off things... but can we avoid escalation?
I have researched this, and it does only require a medical by a personal physician, and the applicants 'gender' is in no way relevant to thier fittness to serve. I know of quite a lot of trans officers, its hardly beyond the relm of reality....
All will be explained in time... dont worry.
Alyssa

On TG and police departments

Holy necro posting! :)

Actually being TG isn't a disqualifier for most modern police departments, quite the opposite really. Quite a few of them would jump at the chance to have a qualifed TG officer to act as a liason to the GLBT community. The real issue I have with this installment is the ease in which our heroine was signed up for the police academy. Having been through the selection process (in both Norfolk and Portsmouth) I can say with authority that it's not a matter of speaking with a recruiter and getting signed up for the next academy. Prospective recruits go through a vigourous selection process that takes at minimum, four to six months.