Born Twice - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Born Twice
By Alyssa Plant

Chapter 13

*Bleep bleep*

*Bleep bleep*

*Bleep bleep*

The first thing that Rebecca noticed was her hearing, swirling back into function. What was that sound?

*Bleep bleep*

*Bleep bleep*

Was she dead? Where the hell was she?

Everything seemed so white, so barren….

Ceiling tiles, that was it, and neon lights, it was noisy beyond the annoying bleeping. Rebecca felt like she had woken up in Piccadilly Station.

Rebecca blinked twice, trying to clear her vision. Her other senses began to swim back into her control.

Hospital?

It hit her like a train. It was dark, fists, angry voices. Oh god, it wasn’t a dream.

She felt the ears welling in her eyes, and sliding out of the corners of her eyes as she lay there.

Where was Paul?

Fear washed over her as she tried to sit up in the bed.

Immediately the pain made her scream out and fall back. She had just started pulling at the drip on her arm as a nurse burst through the doors.

“Stay still love, you’re in hospital, Shush, its ok.” She soothed as she held a sobbing, struggling Rebecca.

As Rebecca’s sobbing slowed to infrequent shudders. The nurse moved to lower her to the bed.

”You have to rest dear; you’ve been through a lot.”

“W… Wha” Rebecca croaked. “Wh... what happened to me?” she managed to get out as the nurse offered her a sip of water that she gladly accepted.

“You were admitted about 11 this evening. You’re in the Manchester Royal Infirmary. You were attacked love.” She soothed as she brushed some hair from Rebecca’s eyes with her hand.
“Ill go get your doctor love, he can tell you more, ok dear?”

Smiling at Rebecca, the nurse left the room to make a phone call from the nurses’ station.

About 20 minutes later, at least it seemed that long to Rebecca, a young doctor knocked on the door to her room and entered.

He was in his mid 30s, tall and handsome. His eyes were caring and soft, he was a gentle man.

“Hi there, I hear your awake now?”

Rebecca nodded slowly.

The doctor came forwards and sat down in the chair next to her bed. This could not be good she thought.

“Well, uh, First, I need to sort something out; you are a girl aren’t you?”

Rebecca nodded slowly once again, a look of panic spreading across her face.

“I understand, don’t worry, your friends that came to visit you told me everything, I understand it can’t be easy for you.”

“Firstly, your parents are driving up once they heard about you being hurt.”

Rebecca nearly passed out again; this was NOT the time for this talk.

“Ah…” said the doctor with realisation.

“They don’t know they have a daughter do they?”

“No” Rebecca mumbled in a tiny voice.

“How long have you been on hormones?” he probed gently.

“Uh, a month or so?”

The doctor looked stunned.

“Are you being honest with me?” he questioned.

“Yes, of course I am, I’ve only really known for just under 2 months, its all been sort of sudden.

“That is interesting…” the doctor admitted with a frown,

”Id like to take some blood and run some tests, but that can wait till after.”

“This isn’t easy…” He began, and she knew what was coming.

“The boy you were brought in with, Paul?”

A stone dropped into the pit of Rebecca’s stomach.

“He suffered a great deal of brain damage, and we lost him shortly after he arrived. I’m sorry.”

Rebecca felt a wave of nausea flood over her, then her mouth suddenly went dry and she felt cold.

He was dead?

Paul was dead?

This was her fault…. This was all her fault.

Rebecca burst into tears and not quite sure what to do, the young doctor placed his hand on hers and gave it a squeeze of comfort.

She didn’t know how long she had cried for, but when she finally realised she had stopped, the young doctor was still by her side, and her head hurt like hell.

The wave of guilt had been replaced by the realisation that his loss was her fault

She had become who she was, she had gotten involved in the ball, the fight, and the eventual attack was her fault entirely…

If she hadn’t existed, Paul would still be here.

Her dear, sweet beautiful, kind Paul.

He didn’t deserve this.

”WHY” she asked out loud to herself.

“They were animals.” Came the quiet reply from the doctor she had forgotten was there.

Rebecca turned to look at him with a look of confusion and shock on her face at being reminded of his presence.

“What they did to you… to Paul, and why…. It was wrong.” The doctor said quietly squeezing her hand.

“I’ve known you for short period of time, but I can see you’re an amazing person… They are evil sad people.”

“Look, I have to go, but ill send your friends in, I Know there’s several of them down in the relatives room. It will help take your mind off things….”

“Oh, and there’s a police officer who wants a word with you later, ill tell them you need some time ok?”

Rebecca nodded noncommittally.

A few moments later there was a quiet knock at the door.

Sarah was there, so was Amy and Jenny, Mark and Toby.

“Come in guys, I’m not contagious”

Sarah walked up to the bed and hugged her friend tightly.

”I’m sorry” she whispered. “I’m so sorry”

Rebecca felt the hot tears falling from her friends eyes and hugged her tight. Soon they were joined by Jenny and Amy, leaving the boys standing awkwardly by the door.

The group chatted quietly for the next hour or so. Rebecca began to feel more human again.

She had heard that Marisa had been gloating about the attack once she returned to the ball, shortly thereafter, she and Paul had been found, and the guilty had been arrested rather publicly for murder, and attempted murder.

It gave her a small satisfaction to think of that bitch in a cell. Her smug demeanour shattered.

There was a knock at the door, and looking up; Rebecca spotted 2 people in suits. The police?

“Uh hello?” she asked, her friend immediately falling silent.

“Charlie Anderson?”

“Uh, yes” Rebecca responded, already wondering if this was going to be as difficult as she feared.

“Guys, can you give us some time?” Rebecca said to Sarah and the gang.

“Sure sweetie, see you in an hour or so.” Amy whispered, giving Rebecca a hug.

The detectives stood by door looking uncomfortable as the gang made their way out.

“Uh, what can I do for you?” she asked.

“We are from the Greater Manchester Police. We are here for your statement on your assault Miss.” Announced the young woman detective; a petite blonde in a sharp suit. “I’m Detective Miller, and this is Detective Parker.” She announced, gesturing to her colleague, a tall man with greying hair and glasses.

“Ah right, I’m sorry, I don’t remember much.” Rebecca replied.

“It was all so fast. Once it happened.”

“So why did you go to the party as a woman?” the cold voice of DI Parker chipped in.

“I uh, I am one?” Rebecca struggled.

Detective Miller Gave Parker a dirty look.

“I’m sorry MISS Anderson, My Colleague is a little antiquated.” She said glaring at the older man.

“We have a rough idea of what happened from your friends and some other witnesses. Can you fill in the blanks for us?”

The police officers and Rebecca talked for about 2 hours. And by the end, Rebecca was physically and emotionally drained.

She had the faces of the 5 attackers etched in her memory now. Weather that was good or bad, she did not know.

The thought of a trial made her blood run cold. She would be the media’s plaything….

Rebecca was pondering the possibilities of the trial as there was a sharp intake of breath at the door.

“Charles?” Her mother and father stood at the door, mouths agape…..

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No, She was Not Guilty

It was Marissa and her goons that are guilty. Noe Becca will have to tell her parents.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Very Moving

Stirs up a ton of emotions, all of them appropriate to the action, characters and story. Top Shelf is turning into a bit of a workshop for episodic cliffhangers, though, isn't it? At least this one isn't too unforgivable. We knew it was coming sooner or later, and second, compared to what took place earlier in this chapter, what with the news of the death of Paul and all, it's a bit further down the emotional scale.

Writing an emotional arc into a story is quite an artform in itself, and it's what separates stories that work from those that really don't. You, clearly, have got the hang of this. I, failed author of several crumpled up and abandoned stories never finished, am jealous.

And after all of this and Pauls' death ...

Her parents want Charlie to *stop this nonsence and come home and will get some one to cure you of this?" Or Mom said something like that in part one.

Her parents are fools, and what of Marrisa, does she get life in prison for being a party to murder or will some rich relative get get her off as, *temporarily insane* or *justfied rage at the Fags*, or *she only wanted to scare them not hurt them?*

Maybe Marrisa and her friend who asaulted Rebecca in the toilet can be lesbian lovers in prison. Gloating over murder/attempted murder. Marrissa is toast.

Very gritty drama.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Dave Love the story so far

Dave
Love the story so far but setting it in Manchester isn't a good idea.
Manchester as a massive Gay community and so the police are very use to dealing with the transvestite community, I doubt very much if any of the police in Manchester would be aggressive in any way. I would bet that they would be nice and handle Rebecca with dignity.
I still love the story though.

Dave

hehe

Well, i can categorically confirm i am not called Dave... Though I admit being a girl called dave could be funny...

Firstly, manchester may be gay firendly, but trust me, transphobia knows no bounds.

Plus Rebecca is 'transsexual' transvesitism is a sexual fettish, and a debate we really should not go into here...

Not wanting to blow my anonimity too much, im from the Manchester area, And ive seen less well passing trans friends get trouble before...

Thanks for the comments guys, but we shall see how things progress shall we?

Who is Dave?

Umm

Born Twice
By Alyssa Plant

I think I missed the part about Dave. How come some people know so much more than I do?

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Excellent Story !

Dear Alyssa,

somehow I must have missed this story before - when a computer played up or maybe I was just away abroad somewhere, sorting some poor company's problems out for them... By now I imagine you know how it goes.

I was so impressed with this tale that I felt I had to write to you before I even finished it. You write well - that education shows - and you deliver all the chords - fear, amusement, romance grief...

I'm going to read everything on BCTS from your good self now. Bless you and thank you for such good stuff to read.

Briar