Glimpses 7

Printer-friendly version

Name: Ronald Sutherland
Aliases: Constance (Connie) Sutherland
Coden name: Flying Fox
Ratings: flying, strength, PK (contact?), gadgeteer(?) levels uncertain
Techniques: none
Weak vs.: [unknown]
Backup/ Team affiliation: family

"OK, let me go over the test results the State Patrol sent us. You can fly, you've got super strength and some sort of force field. And you're good with equipment."

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Well, what can you tell me about the flying? Any idea what your maximum speed is?"

Flying Fox hesitated this was one of the things she didn't want to let them know everything about.

"I'm not really sure."

"Well, can you give me any sort of guess? 20 miles an hour? 50? 100?"

"No. I mean I'm not sure I have a top speed. The farther I go the faster I go."

He wrote down "Constant acceleration?"

"OK, that's a bit unusual. How about some info on a long trip?"

"Sure. I have a track file for the flight here saved on my GPS!" With that she dug her much modified GPS out of a belt pouch.

It took a few minutes to get software and protocols sorted. While a tech was dealing with that Dr. Hewley asked her about the trip.

"Well, it took about 15 minutes to get from Spokane to New Hampshire, then I had to wait for Don to call to let folks know we were here. A couple minutes after that we were landing in the quad."

Dr. Hewley looked boggled. "Wait a second. Spokane? Isn't that in Washington state?"

"Yeah over near the Idaho border."

"And it took you 15 minutes..."

"Well, we weren't in that much of a hurry. So I didn't 'push'."

"Push?"

"Yeah, it's kinda hard to describe, but if I 'push harder' I build up speed faster. "

Looking a bit dazed he said "You weren't pushing hard and you flew 3000 miles in 15 minutes."

"Oh no. It's only twenty-two, twenty-three-hundred miles. Twenty-five-hundred, tops!"

He dug out a calculator. "That's 9000 miles an hour!"

"Well, yeah, that's the average. I was doing a lot more than that at the halfway point when I had to start slowing down."

"Oh, of course you'd have to start slowing down halfway.." He drew several underlines under the note about constant acceleration.

Then something else caught his attention. "You said 'we' and something about 'Don calling'?"

"Yeah, I was flying my boyfriend and my brother Don here so we could take care of stuff like the testing."

"How did you protect them during the flight?"

"Oh, they were inside the field so they were fine."

"Oh that force field of yours? How's that work?"

"I'm not really sure. It's just that when I was learning to fly early on, the wind kept bugging me and running into bugs... Ick!"

"Anyway, one day something sort of clicked and I had this 'bubble' around me. It was a lot easier to fly. It changes shape to minimize air resistance. I can carry stuff inside it too. It does something with things like air and stuff so I can breathe and don't get too hot or cold."

He wrote a note asking for Security's records of her approach and handed it off to another tech. The first one had the flight track from the GPS downloaded and handed it back to the girl.

"That sounds useful. We'll have to come up with some tests on that. I guess we won't be testing the limits of your flight abilities in the lab."

Connie gave him a "Duh!" look

"How did you start flying?"

"Well, I didn't start flying. I was carrying a big box down some stairs and missed a step. I got across the room and discovered I'd been walking about six inches off the floor. I did the walking on air thing for a few weeks before I started to fly. Well, At first I sort of glided down. Learning move up without walking up imaginary stairs or something was hard."

Another note, "atypical development of flight powers".

"I got real tired doing that at first. Especially if I flew fast. And I was hungry all the time. "

"That's fairly normal for a lot of
energy intensive powers. But you said 'At first'?"

"Yeah, One day it just got easier
Sort of like getting a second wind."

More notes.

"Sometimes when I'm flying really fast or working really hard I get a sort of 'third wind'..."

"You're just full of surprises, aren't you?"


Yes, I've been told that her speed violates the rules for the Whateleyverse. I didn't know that when I originally wrote it, and I kinda need it for some things planned for the future. So just consider this a more alternate than usual alternate Whateley.

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good!

Canon has been getting pretty stick-in-the-muddish for awhile, time somebody shook things up a bit. Even if it is a fanfic. :-) Besides, I like the sound of Dr. Hewley's jaw hitting the floor! ;-)


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Very cool!

I really love this story! Any chance of getting longer chapters? Long or short, awesome story!

nomad

Flight

Tas's picture

Obviously Connie has a lot more going for her than just flight, she's got astounding speed and a forcefield she can manipulate as well. Interesting stuff haha

-Tas

well since whateley is a made

well since whateley is a made up universe why can't they just change the rules. after the rules of science have changed as we learn more. at one time it was thought that breaking the sound barrier was impossible

Actually as a famous science

Brooke Erickson's picture

Actually as a famous science fiction writer who was in the military at the time once noted...

They'd be in class in the morning being told that they couldn't go faster than the speed of sound. Then in the afternoon they'd be firing anti-aircraft guns with muzzle velocities well above the speed of sound.

Typical failure to connect fact A with hypothesis B.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks