Glimpses 3

Printer-friendly version

Name: [redacted]
Aliases: [redacted]
Code name: Blip
Ratings: [unknown]
Techniques: none
Weak vs.: unknown
Backup/ Team affiliation: none

Hi, my code name is Blip. Not terribly imaginative, but at least it's not taken. It's even kinda descriptive.

Powers testing has me classed as a warper, but they still aren't really sure what I do. Well, that's not true. What I do is pretty obvious. It's how I do it that they aren't sure about.

I teleport. And a few other things but it's my "blipping" that's the biggie.

That's what I called it as a kid. Yeah, yeah. I'm one of the mutants who manifested as a kid.

They say that's not unusual when you've got really strong abilities. That must by why my girlfriend, Flying Fox manifested early too. Though neither of us found out about the other's powers until we'd had them for a few years.

Oh. I guess I forgot to mention that. We've known each other since we were four or so. We lived across the street from each other.

Anyway, my first blip was when I was 9 or so.

Most teleporters do it the first time because they are trying to get away from something. Not me. I was trying to get to something.

I'd gone riding my bike into the woods. We lived at the edge of town and there were miles of trails. I suddenly realized it was getting late and I was a lot farther from home than I probably should have been. I wasn't scared. Except maybe of the trouble I'd be in when I got home.

I was tired too. I got off the trail to sit down for a minute. I didn't know what to do. I was sitting on a log and wishing I was home in my room.

Being tired I was a bit spacey or something. Anyway, suddenly I could sort of see my room, only it wasn't exactly seeing it. I still wished I was there and then I did something I can't really describe. And then I was sitting on my bed instead of the log beside the trail.

Surprised the heck out of me. I'm glad I didn't yell or anything, because the next thing I realized was that I was naked!

I scrambled off the bed and got dressed in something fast. Before I could think about things much, one of my folks heard me and called me to dinner. Luckily they didn't ask when or how I'd gotten home.

After dinner I checked and my bike wasn't in the garage. So I figured I really had left it (and my clothes) out in the woods. Waited until mom and dad were asleep before I did anything but think about it. And I didn't think too hard, because that's how I'd gotten in this mess in the first place.

I grabbed my flashlight and was about to see if I could get back to the bike. Then I stopped and wondered what I'd do if the flashlight didn't go with me. To say nothing of what I was wearing.

So I quietly moved a chair across my room and then sat on the bed and tried to think of myself in the chair. Took me a few minutes, but I could "see" it the way I'd seen the bedroom.

It was kinda weird because my eyes showed the room from one direction and my head "showed" it facing the other direction. Anyway, once I had that I tried to recreate whatever it was I'd done before. I knew what it felt like, but it's like trying to explain how you know how a vaulting dismount will go before you do it. You know what it feels like, you know your body is going to do it, but you can't explain it to someone who's never done a vault.

I fumbled a bit and then I got it. I was in the chair. And the moonlight coming in the window showed my PJs hanging in the air for a split second before they fell to the bed.

So. I knew I could do it. I just had to figure out how to take my clothes with me. I knew it had to be possible because there were a few teleporters even I had heard of and they could do it.

Now, I know that the fact that someone else's abilities let them do it didn't mean mine would let me. Especially given that my first two tries hadn't taken my clothes with me. Which they tell me is really unusual for a teleporter. As if anything about my powers is that normal. Even for a mutant. But back then I didn't know all that.

I thought about trying to practice carrying the flashlight, but watching my clothes fall told me that was a really bad idea. So I looked around for something that'd fall quietly if I dropped it. I grabbed a pillow off my bed, sat down in the chair and tried to blip back. to the bed.

This time I got the "image" immediately. And blipped almost as soon as I got it. But the pillow went "floomp" to the seat of the chair.

Took about a dozen tries before I was able to carry the pillow with me. There was a knack to "holding on" to it.

After an hour I was able to blip with my clothes. Or even with just some of them and not others. But once I'd gotten the knack, it was actually harder to leave something behind than take it with me.

After porting a couple times with the flashlight and a small knapsack, I tried for where I'd blipped from the woods. I got there OK, but it was quite a surprise. You see, it wasn't until I arrived in the dark under the trees that I realized whatever I was "seeing" as target, it didn't involve light. I'd been able to see my target, but not that it was dark. For that matter, as I found out when I turned on the flashlight, I hadn't been able to "see" or "feel" or whatever the skunk that'd been examining my clothes!

Fortunately, while I and the light startled it, it decided to leave rather than spray. That was a close one.

I brushed off and shook out the clothes I'd left behind on my very first blip. Then I stuffed them into the knapsack. Then I wondered what I was going to do about the bike.

I walked down the trail a ways and tried getting an image of the spot. I thought I had it and blipped back and forth between it and the bike a few times.

OK, now to try moving the bike. I grabbed it with my hands, and then tried to grab it with my head the way I had the clothes and the knapsack. Something didn't feel right.

I tried blipping down the trial. It wasn't working. I "pushed". And found myself standing there without the bike. I blipped back.

I really didn't want to leave the bike there. Even if I could blip back out to it in the morning, it'd take forever to ride it home. And I might need it tomorrow.

Hmm. Maybe if I picked it up?

Yep. That worked.

OK. I decided I'd better blip to the garage and make sure there was room for the bike. I wrapped the t-shirt I'd been wearing that afternoon around the flashlight to dim the light.

A quick look around showed me the best spot to blip in with the bike. So I went back, got it and blipped back to my room. A quick change into my PJs and I was back in bed trying to figure out what to do now that I was a mutant.

I decided I'd just better be careful. I was trying to figure out if I should tell my best friend when I feel asleep.

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Alright

Tas's picture

And there's the new character. Both manifesting at a very young age, and best friends too, lucky for them I suppose. I'll be interested to see where you take the rest of this story and I'll be on the lookout for the next chapter :)

-Tas

Ah!

Podracer's picture

The "young aerobatic Supergirl" would be his friend then. Oh, the trouble those two could get into at their young age.

"Reach for the sun."

Cool

Jamie Lee's picture

Boy, being able to blip would sure save on gas.

Hope we learn more about Blip.

Others have feelings too.