Lights, Camera, Action! Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version

Lights, Camera, Action!
A Magic of the Kingdom Tale
©2015 Dark Kitten & Zoe Taylor

12 year old Mark O’Malley had been practically typecast as the dopey sidekick because of his role in the runaway hit Disney production, “My Brother Mark”. But while on the set of his older sister Krissy’s much darker sci-fi movie production, a misheard comment leads to a whole new branch in his career, and in his life.

As promised, the next day after the girls ate lunch with their friends at an outdoor corner Bistro, Brianna showed up, without the limo, she was in a nice red sports car, “Hey girls ready?”

“Hey Brianna,” Megan and Juliette called almost in unison as they waved.

“Byeeee,” Rebecca giggled, waving as the girls got up to jump in the car.

“Sooo what’s the damage?” Megan asked. “I shut off my phone last night so we could have a normal, quiet slumber party.”

Brianna laughed out loud. “Normal and quiet just don’t go with the words ‘slumber party’. It’s not a proper sleepover until someone’s been locked out of the house naked. Twice.”

Megan giggled, “Didn’t happen but we did play spin the bottle.” she teased.

“Rebecca is a really great kisser by the way,” Juliette laughed. When Brianna slowly turned around to look back at her, she grinned innocently. “It was a joke. Megan kissed her,” she said, trying to keep a straight face.

“We really didn’t play spin the bottle.” Megan giggled.

“Anywaaay,” Brianna said, trying not to giggle too, “The Disney damage isn’t as bad as I was expecting. I spoke with a top exec this morning, and she assured me that the reason given, that they wanted time to prepare after the 30-whatevermillion views interview and facebook shitstorm, was completely honest. They want to make sure they ask the right questions and not make you look bad, or like they’re choosing a side.”

“I kind of expected that after I talked to Jessica about it,” Megan nodded. “She said she expects the lawyers to be scrambling to try and get me back under contract again, actually.”

“The guest roles are a go at least. You’ll have to speak with the writers though. I told them you’d have creative freedom to veto anything you didn’t like, and they immediately agreed.”

“As long as it’s tasteful, not like Michelle and Mark on vacation in Australia, and Michelle blackmails him into dressing like her sister or something,” Juliette said.

“Exactly. Mark is behind me now.” Megan agreed.

“And I really want to play a nice girl for a change,” Juliette giggled.

Brianna pulled into a long driveway. “First stop,” she said. The house was a Victorian style with two stories, and a front porch that began near the garage, with forward facing steps, and wrapped around the side, with a pristine white banister and white faux wood siding, and dark navy blue shutters on the windows. It wasn’t absolutely massive, but it wasn’t small either.

The woman standing next to a white sedan smiled warmly as the sports car pulled up. “Miss Messer, Miss O’Malley, and Miss Small I believe?” she asked cheerfully.

“That would be us.” Brianna smiled professionally as she shook the woman’s hand.

“Excellent, excellent,” she answered, but somehow, Megan didn’t get the sense that she simply smelled an easy sale. The way the woman carried herself, she actually seemed rather genuine even though she was obviously a realtor.

“I don’t really recommend this place to first time buyers.” The woman stated, “It’s a bit much for a single person or even a single couple.”

“I appreciate your honesty,” Brianna answered. “These two have quite a busy life, and they never know who will be dropping in.” She chuckled. “I wanted to at least let them see what they think. If not them, my cousin and her fiancé will certainly be interested for the same reasons.”

“Oh, no I completely understand. My daughter practically pulled my arm out of its socket to get me to come and watch the interview yesterday,” she said, winking at Megan. “It’s a peaceful neighborhood, with enough land on the property that you could stand on the front steps and shout, and no one would bat an eye.”

“It’s nice.” Megan said as they entered the house. “And wow, that’s what they mean by a grand entrance.”

The woman laughed softly. “It was built in 2011, but fell into foreclosure. The house features six bedrooms, two fully furnished kitchens, two offices,” the woman rattled on as she showed them the house. When she had finished, she turned to the three again.

“Don’t say no yet, but I have a few other places I want to show you as well.”

About six houses into the tour, the girls were not happy with any of them, Megan took Juliette aside. “Why don’t we get the big house, and move Krissy and Tina as well?”

“That’s what I was thinking too,” Juliette admitted sheepishly. “I mean, you saw those bedrooms. Two of them were as large as the master bedroom. Plus that huge entertainment center for a basement, and the recording studio. We could use that for our future interview stuff.”

“Exactly.” Megan nodded. “And it doesn’t seem too far from Amber’s house.”

“Besides,” Juliette sighed. “We are just kids. I know we act super adult sometimes, but I still miss my stuffed animals. I liked having my Mom around to make breakfast in the morning. I’m not ready to grow up yet.”

Megan started to laugh, hugging Juliette. “God I’m so relieved to hear you say that.”

“What? Really?” Juliette asked, stunned. Megan nodded.

“I wanted a little freedom from my Mom on this vacation, not totally shoved out the door. I’ve been trying to keep up with everything that’s happening, but this...” she said, motioning to the rather crappy house they were being shown, “This is too much.”

“I’m glad to hear you both say that.” Brianna said as she put her phone up to her ear, “They both are really mature for their age, but I agree, yup, I’ll have their stuff moved to your house asap.” She hung up and grinned.

Megan and Juliette shared a glance. Juliette giggled. “I think we just got Full Housed.”

“Actually Krissy got the idea from an episode of your show. Mark Moves Out,” Brianna giggled as the realtor approached, grinning as well.

“You girls both have a good head on your shoulders, and a lot of people who love you watching out for you.”

“Thank you again for helping us with this,” Brianna said as she shook the realtor’s hand. “I know this was a bit strange.”

The woman laughed softly. “Oh not at all dear. This was just a normal day for me. Now, the woman who wanted to buy an entire apartment building for her cats - that was strange.”

~oOo~

There was a big party to celebrate the final filming of Dark Days, Megan ended up having a major supportive role in the movie. She really enjoyed working with her sister, and even with post production only about to begin, Laura had let it slip that she was already planning the sequel, Darker Days. Megan and Juliette had also been working hard on their role in their upcoming Samantha Snow movie, which was set to start filming soon.

They also both guest starred on Sabrina’s new show ‘Life with Sarah’ twice. Amber’s call out for Megan’s fans to send her stuff animals was a huge success as well, Megan ended up with over 200 stuffed animals at this point, and the Teen Choice Awards were almost on them. They had been back in L.A. for a couple of days before the awards.

The BBC interview sent shockwaves through the entertainment world. Disney, like the rest of the world, just didn’t know how to handle the fact that Megan was for all intents and purposes a normal teenaged girl. Moreover, that becoming Megan stopped her from becoming another statistic just didn’t seem to compute with some people, but she didn’t care. The fans loved her honesty.

The 365 interview likewise went smoothly, but they had to turn it from a standard 2 minute short into a full 15 minute interview which aired on the official website, as well as being broadcast being cut down into small increments for television broadcast.

Krissy, Tina and Brianna sat across from Megan, Juliette, Carolyn and Amber in the limo. Megan and Juliette had worn the formal dresses they wore on their first date to the opera, and Megan had her hair up, while Juliette wore hers down. Brianna grinned at the pair. They had only been back in the US for a few days, but they were swamped.

“You nervous yet?” she asked.

Megan laughed. “Feels like I swallowed a Roomba, and it’s doing circles around my digestive tract.” She wiggled her feet inside her two inch t-strap heels lightly and sighed. “I just know I’m going to trip on the way inside.”

“You did great at Alyssa’s big movie premiere the other day,” Juliette said.

“Yeah, but I was wearing flats,” Megan giggled. “Is it weird that Devin’s the only person who hasn’t starred in a movie now?”

“Yeah, but he’s doing okay,” Brianna added. “He got picked up for the new Pixar movie with you guys. Didn’t I tell you?”

“Wow, really?” Megan asked excitedly as the limo rolled to a stop. “That’s great!”

While the girls were in L.A. again, they planned to record as much of their lines for the movie as they could, while being able to interact with the other actors and actresses. They also couldn’t wait to spend time with Alyssa again. She had been chosen to do the next interview, and was self-admittedly extremely nervous about the affair.

Of course, they were needed back in Sydney for filming of Snowballed in a couple of weeks as well, but filming for that was expected to last a few months, given budget constraints and the investors’ desire to capitalize on Megan’s popularity.

“At least you’re used to these things,” Amber whined. “I mean having Debby and the entire cast of My Brother Mark showing up to my birthday party was bad enough. I can’t believe I let you rope me into coming to the States for the TCAs.”

Unlike the “stars”, neither Amber nor Carolyn wore anything so extravagant. Amber had on a nice knee length white off the rack dress, and Carolyn wore an a-line skirt and top like something Juliette might have worn on the set of ‘My Brother Mark’

“I feel underdressed,” Carolyn said as nervously. “I mean I look like I’m going to a movie, not the bloody Teen Choice. Thank God I’m not nominated for anything.”

“Amen to that,” Amber laughed. Juliette and Megan exchanged a glance and grinned innocently.

“Uh oh,” Carolyn said, glancing between the two. “What?”

“Nothing,” they said in unison. Amber groaned.

“Okay really. What did you do?” she asked.

“We’re innocent,” they again answered in unison, and then laughed.

“They are,” Brianna giggled. “But someone had to contact your Mum for permission.” she said ‘Mum’, as being immersed in Australia had already begun to wear off on her. She also said ‘damned’ a lot more. Juliette was even worse. Between reading for an Australian character for Snowballed, and Scottish accents for the Brave sequel, she had picked up small mannerisms from both covered over a California surfer girl base.

“Permission for what?” Amber pressed her.

“You didn’t look at the TCA vote options did you?” Megan finally started to laugh. “Specifically the blog section?”

“.... I voted for SimsVIP and moved on?” Amber said, confused. She turned pale a moment later. “Oh my God. Please tell me you’re not serious.”

“Surprise,” Megan and Juliette said in unison. Megan giggled. “Brianna put your name forward based on the, like, freaking massive positive publicity your interview gave me.”

“But that was only one video,” Amber whined as the limo rolled to a stop.

“But you’ve been our publicist ever since,” Juliette added. “Ooh, showtime,” she said as the limo door opened.

~oOo~

A full week had past since the TCAs. There was a somewhat awkward moment when Megan received the award for “Choice Hottie” (Female), and everyone saw Amber winning Choice Blogger - everyone except Amber, who cried on-stage as she thanked Megan and Juliette, Brianna, and her best friend Carolyn.

Amber and Carolyn had by now gone back home, and Juliette, who had been staying with Megan and her parents at Megan’s Hollywood estate, was lounging around in her pajamas, eating a bowl of Trix cereal while she channel surfed. Megan, dressed similarly in a dark purple shelf cami and short pink sleep shorts had just come out of the bathroom off from the rec room and sat down, when Brianna came through the door.

“Uh oh,” Juliette laughed. “Brianna’s doing her Bruce impression again.” It was an inside joke that started about about a week ago. Ever since the TCAs the girls had been getting offers pouring in daily. The ones Brianna really liked, she’d show to the girls. They could tell she really liked them because she grinned like a shark.

“No, really, you’re going to love this one,” Brianna said. “On the smaller of the two notes, Disney AU faxed the script for the revised final episode of My Brother Mark,” she said in reference to Megan and Juliette’s desire to film a new final hour long episode in which Mark runs away to Australia, Michelle follows him, and Mark reveals that he’s always tortured his sister because he’s secretly jealous.

Of course, Corporate would have to approve first, but the rest of the cast absolutely loved the idea, and Megan and Juliette were prepared to fund from their own pocket as it were until Disney agreed.

“Secondly, filming doesn’t start until June or July next year, which gives you enough time to work on your other projects, and... It’s a serious role based on a Disney IP.” She had Juliette and Megan’s undivided attention.

“Do I get to play a nice girl?” Juliette asked. Brianna laughed.

“There’s not even a script yet,” she answered. “AMC’s legal team literally just finished hammering out a contract with Disney corp. You’ll be on the ground floor.”

“How’s that even possible?” Megan asked skeptically. She knew how things usually worked, especially with Disney involved. There was no way they were going to cast two actresses without even a script

“The short answer is,” Brianna replied, “The director who wants to do the project knows you, and he knows your work. He wants you, as Disney veterans and as teens, to help guide the show so it isn’t automatically branded as more Disney fluff. Like I said, this is AMC. Think The Walking Dead, only not that dark.”

“The only dark thing Disney’s ever done is Beauty and the Beast,” Juliette giggled. “Oh do I get to be the beast?” she teased.

“Madame. Gaston. Can’t you just see it?” Megan began to sing, “Madame. Gaston. His little wife?”

Juliette picked up, “No sir, not me! I guarantee it! I want much more than this provincial life!”

“Here’s the contracts,” Brianna said, offering the girls a pair of identical manilla envelopes. “As well as a copy of the pilot script. I know I said there wasn’t a real script yet, but the director wrote the pilot himself as a base. He’s really passionate about this project.”

Megan took out the script, immediately noticing the name on the front - Robert O’Malley. Her jaw fell open. “Daddy wrote this?” she gasped, immediately throwing it open.

“No question your dad wrote this,” Juliette laughed. “Look, instead of character names, he wrote ‘Megan’ and ‘Juliette’.”

At that, Megan’s dad peeked around the doorway. “Is it safe?”

Megan leapt off her chair and ran to her Dad, hugging him. Brianna laughed. “I’d call that a yes.”

“You should’ve told me you sneaky arse,” Megan laughed.

“Well I didn’t want to get your hopes up,” he answered. “I wasn’t even sure Disney would go for a story based on their version of Peter Pan. But it’s a story I wanted to tell for a long time, and now seemed like the time.”

“Lost Girls, huh?” Juliette said. “I didn’t know there were any lost girls.” She giggled. Rob nodded his agreement.

“Exactly. You only ever hear about the Lost Boys, except for Wendy of course. She was the original Lost Girl, but she found her way back. What if other girls weren’t so lucky? I lined up filming for next winter, around May or June so we can scout different locations, and give you two some downtime between like you originally wanted.”

Megan laughed as she sat down again and picked up the script. “Yeah, I haven’t exactly had much downtime. This was supposed to be a vacation, and so far I’ve co-starred in a major Sci-fi movie, I’m memming lines for a serious drama, and recording lines for Pixar.” She paused to look up. “Not that I’m complaining. Working with Dev and Jules has been a blast.”

“Well,” he said, “I know you wanted to take the weekend off, but I thought, if the two of you are up for it, Mom and I might take you to Disneyland like old times this afternoon.”

Juliette squeaked a little. She cleared her throat, looking over at Megan for confirmation. Megan just laughed. “Juliette might hurt me if I say no,” she teased. “That sounds great Daddy.,” she said happily. “And as for this Lost Girls thing...”

Megan paused again, and Juliette spoke up. “We’re in.”

up
343 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Huh?

"...Now, the woman who wanted to buy an entire apartment building for her cats - that was strange.”

*Strange?* thinks the guest reader while she scratches her ears with her rear paw ...

That would be an interesting

That would be an interesting Disney movie "Lost Girls". Would be able to see it all from the female viewpoint.

Re: That would be an interesting

Actually, I was thinking Lost Girls would be the title for a vampire movie! ;-)

Jenny

TV show

tmf's picture

There is a TV show call "Lost Girl" that started late 2010.
It follow a succubus that discover her origin and all the mythical side of the "normal" world.
But a movie/series base around Neverland could be nice to.

Glade to see another wonderful chapter of your tales. Thanks.

Big Hugs tmf

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

Hmmmmmm

Renee_Heart2's picture

Ok is the big house in Australia or LA? I'm a bit confused there. Looks like the TCA was s success but did Megan & Juliette get anything? As for the new script that Megan's dad wrote sounds intresting.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Fairy time?

GrandiaKnight's picture

Will we soon be getting an appearance from the fairies? I hope so!

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

Dark Disney

“The only dark thing Disney’s ever done is Beauty and the Beast,” Juliette giggled.

There actually have been other dark Disney films. One that immediately comes to mind is Something Wicked This Way Comes; and

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

certainly had its dark moments as well! Add in some Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures films; and Disney definitely has its dark side!

This was yet another enjoyable installment in this series! I look forward to the next chapter! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jenny

And then there is Maleficent

That is dark to say the least.

Sleeping Beauty was pretty dark if you think about it.

...and if they'd filmed it RIGHT...

TheCropredyKid's picture

...Something Wicked This Way Comes would have been even darker.

As it is, it looked at the time to me as if they filmed some of the creepier stuff and then cut it mostly out.

And then there's The Watcher in the Woods, which is about as close as Disney ever came to a flat-out horror film; if they'd managed to come up with an ending that worked, it would be considered a classic.

 
 
 
x

the lost girls?

that would be interesting

DogSig.png

Jaws

Nice Jaws reference, very subtle, well done. Love the story btw.

nomad

There's actually some very

There's actually some very cool songs about Girls in Neverland, The Wendy Trilogy by S. J. Tucker.