Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 11 "Taxi?"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Eleven

 
 

"Taxi?"

 
 
Tuesday 23rd December Continued
 

"Who was that Tammy? Why are you upset?" They were in the Castletown Hotel, Tammy had just fled the loo after speaking to Jill.

"She's a doctor at the hospital, it was suggested I should be careful at the ball." Tammy went on to explain the exchange, most of it anyway. Peter was the one who blushed when reference was made about being on the pill, the girls laughed although Angela wasn't sure at first.

"Don't get any funny ideas, brother," warned Debbie.

That meant the table descending into giggles again, causing some piercing glances from elsewhere in the bar. The occupant of the closest table had left whilst Tammy was in the loo.

Talk turned to everyone's plans for Christmas and New Year, although "don't know" was the most common answer from Tammy and Angela due to their aborted holiday. They'd been in the hotel bar long enough that it was now lunchtime so each ordered a sandwich. Angela didn't seem flustered when it was time to pay, what was going on?

It was around twelve thirty when they all split up, although David now had Tammy's mobile number. Tammy had also managed to remember handing out her Christmas cards whilst in the hotel, catching several of her friends and supporters that lunchtime, including Frances.

Next stop for Tammy and Angela was a discount clothing store. Angela was initially looking for trousers but found printed leggings as well, Tammy just picked up leggings in a variety of single colours plus two pairs of cherry-red jeans. Angela paid for her purchases with a debit card, it was so new that a clear protective strip was still affixed to the front.

"It arrived then?" Obvious question time.

"Yes, on Monday. Mum's had some money from the school, including Dad's last wages, so she's arranged to transfer a few hundred to my account to help me with my wardrobe."

"That's good news. Angela, what have you told your sister?"

"About me?"

"Yes."

"Mum spoke to Suzie first because of dad leaving us and then.... She and he didn't get on, that's why we never saw her up here."

"Is she coming up over Christmas?"

"No, she's spending it at her boyfriend's parents, she hopes to be up in the New Year."

"So she'll be here for the funeral?"

"Yes, maybe a few days either side, she'll hopefully take some time off work."

They next arrived at Sarah's Boutique. Emily was behind the counter and again it was busy.

"Hi Tammy, can you lend us a hand?"

The next customer was Yvonne Stewart. "How can I help you Miss Stewart?"

"I don't want you serving me."

Tammy was dumbfounded, Emily had clearly heard the comment. "Is there a problem?"

"Yes, I don't want this, err, one serving me."

"Then I suggest you leave, and please don't bother to come back unless you have a full and meaningful apology for Miss Smart."

Clearly she was not expecting to be spoken to like that but Yvonne spun on her heels and left the store. For a few seconds there was near silence but the chatter soon started again, with Yvonne Stewart being the main topic. Sarah, who'd been in the storeroom now arrived back, it didn't take long for her to realise something had happened, given the comments being thrown at her,

"That woman was so rude," "How dare she have a go at Tammy," "What's Tammy ever done to deserve that?"

Sarah pulled Tammy out the back to find out for herself, Tammy quickly explained.

"So you don't know what her problem is?"

"No, I tried to speak to her at the school staff party and was cold-shouldered then, not forgetting Sunday lunchtime's false accusation. No doubt I will get a frosty reception from her at school?"

"If she comes back in I'll ask her directly what it's all about, you said Emily handled it?"

"Yes, apparently Yvonne has to come back with a full apology in hand."

"Seems reasonable, now I could do with some help tomorrow afternoon."

"What time?"

"I have an appointment with Sandy at two thirty so could you be here by two at the latest?"

"I can't see a problem, but I'm seeing Sandy at four myself."

"Party?"

"Yes, at the golf club."

"Emily is going, she could pick you up."

"I've had an offer, from a boy."

They had walked sufficiently close to the counter for Emily to hear that.

"Who is he, Tammy?"

"Peter Smith, Debbie's brother."

"Oooh, nice catch."

"Thanks Emily, but it's just for the night."

"I hope so, otherwise his girlfriend will be after you, I know both of them."

"If he doesn't behave then I'll be in touch with his girlfriend myself."

"Come on girls, customers are waiting. Angela, what are you standing there for? Come back here with me."

Tammy and Emily did their best to process the customers but many were after outfits for several parties and were taking ages to reach the point at which they wanted to pay. In the meantime, more customers entered the store.

Out the back, Sarah was explaining to Angela where the stock should be put, several delivery boxes were littering the floor, half-empty. Once that was finished Sarah suggested Angela put on tunic that had just come in.

"That skirt will have to come off, leggings would be best."

"I've just bought some, they're in that bag."

"Good, pop those on and come back out into the shop."

Sarah returned to help Emily, sending Tammy back to help Angela. As soon as she saw what was happening, Tammy grabbed her phone.

"What do you need that for?"

"Advertising!"

It didn't take Angela long to get ready, although Tammy insisted on a tidying her makeup before she was ready to make an appearance.

"I had a delivery today of this tunic, it can be worn over leggings, trousers, or tights if you want to show alot of leg. Give us a twirl, Angela."

Both Tammy and Emily took photos, they chose the best and uploaded a selection to the shop's facebook page, crediting Angela as the model. Of course, quite a few of the tunics were sold on the spot, either for the customer or as presents. Angela went to change back into her skirt and top but Sarah told her she could keep the tunic.

"You might as well wear it from here. By the way, I had six people ask about the dress I lent you for the school party, so there's no charge." Angela looked relieved.

The shop was still busy so Tammy held on until closing time to give Sarah and Emily a hand, once again Sarah opted to go to the bank and deposit her takings into the night vault, down the chute.

Given that there were now three of them guarding Sarah, that reduced the risk, once again Sarah offered to run Tammy back to the house.

"Drop Angela at the house too please, we'll get her to the cottage."

 
 
Wednesday 24th December - Christmas Eve
 
"Good morning Tammy"

"Hi Dad, I forgot to say - I have an escort for the party tonight."

"Who?"

"Tanya and Debbie's brother, Peter."

"What is he, tall, dark and handsome?"

"Yes, yes and yes."

"Whoa, daughter."

"Don't worry, if he's anything other than a perfect gentleman he'll have me, his sisters, mother and girlfriend on his case."

"In that case I'd be worried for his safety! What's your plan for the day then?"

"Sarah wants a hand after lunch in the shop so I want to be down there for that, I might as well get lunch in town too. Then I'm having my hair done before getting back to change, I'm going to be collected from here."

"I've been invited to tea at the cottage and I'll take your overnight case with me, but only if you pack it first!"

"Yes, Dad."

***

"You're early!"

"I figured you might want to get something done before your own hair appointment. Where's Emily?"

"Being pampered."

"Have you had any lunch?"

"Not yet."

Debbie was behind the counter of Reid's Bakery when Tammy arrived but, given that the bakery was busy, they didn't have a chance to talk so it was a simple "later" as Tammy left.

Trade in Sarah's Boutique was steady but it was clear that most customers, or potential customers, already had the outfits they thought they needed from Sarah. During a lull Tammy started walking around the store, taking pictures of the shelves and racks.

"What's that for?"

"This is for the facebook page, to add interest and to show what other stock you keep."

"How much is this costing me?"

"In financial terms, nothing. Of course, models do appreciate something in return for their services."

"Don't over-do it, young lady!"

"No, ma'am."

By two fifteen, Emily had returned from Sandy and Joanne's clutches, with a message that Sarah could be seen immediately, a few seconds later there was a blur as Sarah plus bag and jacket left the store. Between the two of them they managed to photograph almost every item of stock, plus model a few separates. Emily was due to head back to Dundee just a few days after Christmas so wouldn't be able to help during her mother's planned January Sale.

By four Tammy was heading to the salon herself, whilst Sarah was returning to the shop. Fortunately Tammy had been through a waxing a week earlier so was spared that experience for today. Sandy worked wonders restyling Tammy's hair before another girl took care of Tammy's nails, electric blue of course.

Finally, some time after five, she was finished. Unfortunately no-one there offered her a ride home so she called her father.

"Smart taxi services, how can I help you?"

"Ha ha, Dad. Can you pick me up from the hairdressers?"

"I had that enough times from your mother, don't I get a break?"

"Oh, you know I love you, you'll do it for me this time?"

"Tug at the heart strings, will you? Naughty! I'll be with you in ten to fifteen."

"Thanks!"

She turned around to see Sandy looking straight at her.

"Very well done, who taught you?" She spoke softly.

"No-one."

"I can't believe that for a moment, my daughters can't do it that well! Now, please look after my boy tonight, but let me know immediately if he tries anything!"

"Yes, Sandy."

***

At seven thirty that evening Tammy was ready, by quarter to eight she was becoming worried. What didn't help was that the house was very quiet, if it weren't for occasional noises from the kitchen she might have thought she was alone for the first time since arriving at the house the previous month.

Finally a car pulled up outside ten minutes before eight o'clock, she pulled her long coat around, obscuring the dress. Tammy was also in heels, knee high boots. Checking she had her bag, Tammy opened the door to find the driver walking towards her, the passenger side door had been opened.

"Hello, taxi to club?" There was no sign to indicate this was indeed a taxi, she couldn't place his accent either.

"Yes, but I wasn't expecting a taxi."

"Your friend will be at the club."

Tammy was not happy, and reached in her bag for her phone. There was a text message from Tanya:

Mum's on her way to you, prob with Peter's car

"I'm going back in and I suggest you leave."

"You still pay me."

"I don't even believe you're a taxi."

She took a quick look at the rear of the vehicle looking for the taxi licence plate, confirming her suspicions, then immediately tried to return indoors. The front door had closed behind her and Tammy didn't have a key, in fact the didn't need one, one of the staff always opened the door for her. Knowing that the kitchen door would most likely be unlocked she started to run along the side of the house, difficult in heels.

The driver suddenly realised what she was doing and came after her.

"Help!"

He'd almost caught her as she turned the corner by the conservatory and ran straight into Jonathon the gamekeeper, carrying a shotgun; the driver turned and fled with the gamekeeper in hot pursuit. As the driver reached the car he pulled a can of spray from the seat and waited for Jonathon to move into range. Sensing what was going on, the gamekeeper fired, the spray was dropped.

Other staff had now arrived and quickly subdued the driver, eventually using cable ties to secure him. The language in use was not very clean and was mostly not intelligible English.

It seemed to take ages for the police to arrive, during which time Sandy had pulled up. She was ushered into the kitchen where Tammy was shaking. Her father wasn't far behind Sandy, pulling in behind two police vehicles.

Richard was full of rage but knew the police had to speak to everyone first. He did stand nearby to observe while a search was made of the car, the spray was CS he recognised, but ropes and an iron bar were also pulled from the car. He glared at the male who was now handcuffed in the rear of a police car.

Richard walked around to the kitchen where Tammy threw herself at her father, sobbing. "Why, why why?"

He hugged her, behind there was a cough and PC Stuart St James was waiting to speak to Tammy, Richard reluctantly gestured for Tammy to sit down and pulled up a chair next to her.

"Miss Smart, we'll need a full statement later but right now just tell me in your own words what happened."

She recounted the events that had taken only one minute, but was clearly still frightened, pausing frequently. Someone had made a cup of tea and handed it to her to sip.

Richard now felt her could intervene.

"Officer, why would someone want to kidnap my daughter?"

"We don't know that for certain, Mr Smart, please let us conduct our investigation."

"Someone is targeting her, but as far as I was concerned her main antagonist is behind bars for Christmas."

"That is one avenue of investigation. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to make my way back to the station. Another officer will be here to take her statement later tonight or first thing tomorrow."

"It's Christmas Eve and we won't be here for the night, do you know the cottage in the grounds of St Andrews?"

"Yes, but I'd remind you that the Police Service of Scotland does not close on Christmas Day."

PC St James left the kitchen, a few minutes later the vehicles left, Jonathon was not happy, he didn't spot Richard or Sandy when he walked through the kitchen door, let alone Tammy.

"Bloody Police, they reckoned I aimed at him!" He turned, spotted the Smarts plus Sandy Smith and issued a swift apology.

"Sorry, ma'am, Miss, Sir, what I meant to say was that they thought I was going to wound him, it was just a dodgy trigger; I've been meaning to get it looked at. They've taken the shotgun to test it!"

Richard shrugged and suggested the three of them relocated to the sitting room before making any other decisions.

"Oh, Tammy, I wish I knew what was going on!" Sandy summed it up, but added nothing.

Elsie suddenly appeared, driven over by Cathy, presumably one of the staff had called her.

"Oh Tammy, if this is connected to my son I will be disinheriting him as soon as the solicitors office opens."

"Elsie, do you have CCTV? I've not spotted any cameras."

"Yes, there's one camera above the front door and monitors in the kitchen plus Thomas's cubby-hole, that's how they know someone's arrived. Oh, didn't the police ask?"

"No."

"Leave that with me, I don't know if the police could use it but it might be enough for us to identify the horrible man."

"Tammy, I take it you don't want to go to the party now?"

"I couldn't face it, Dad, I ought to get out of this dress and clean my face, I must look awful."

Elsie held out her hand and escorted Tammy to her room. As soon as she was out of the frock and cleaned up she pulled on a nightie and settled in her bed, the idea of sleeping at the cottage was forgotten.

Once Elsie confirmed that Tammy was asleep she spoke to Richard, he also opted to stay at the house so Elsie could head back with Cathy to her pre-arranged Christmas. He phoned Joan to let her know.

"We've had someone snooping around outside, they triggered the new security lighting."

"That may be connected, there was a serious attempt at kidnapping Tammy, or worse."

"Oh, no!"

"The police have the man but we don't know anything else, she's asleep upstairs now."

"Why, why?"

"We don't know. Do you suspect if someone's still there?"

"Nothing's happened for the last fifteen minutes."

"Make certain all the doors are locked. I'm staying here because of Tammy but I'll give the police a call to let them know, it may be connected."

"Now you're frightening me."

"I'm sorry Joan but we don't yet know what we're dealing with. If anything happens, call me immediately."

He rang off then called Thurso Police Station.

"Hello, ths is Richard Smart, is PC St James available?"

"Good evening Mr Smart, I'm afraid he is interviewing at the moment, or at least will when the interpreter arrives. Is there a message you would like to to pass on?"

"Yes, do you know the cottage in the grounds of St Andrews?"

"Yes, I understand you're heading there?"

"No, given the events of tonight I'm staying at the McPhersons with my daughter, but Mrs Small has reported a prowler by the cottage who activated the security lights, they were only installed two days ago."

"So you're suggesting the prowler may not have known about the lighting?"

"That's right, but it seems rather strange that this should occur this evening?"

"Quite, what time did this happen?"

"Mrs Small said it was fifteen minutes ago so that would be around eight thirty?"

"I see, when the night shift come in at ten I'll see if we can send a patrol up there to look around."

"Not sooner?"

"I'm afraid not, we're all occupied with an attempted abduction it would seem. Just to let you know, the car will be collected in the morning. Please don't touch it or attempt to open it."

"Of course not."

He hung up before recalling what the officer had said concerning an interpreter. Curious, had Tammy said anything? He sent Joan a quick text message to update her before heading to his room.
 
 
Thursday 25th December - Christmas Day
 
Richard was awake first, just after seven, so padded to the kitchen to make two coffees, in theory the staff were not expected to work. That idea was disregarded when Leanne came out of the kitchen door in her maids uniform carrying a tray.

"Coffee Sir?"

"Thank you, but I would have done it myself."

"Given everything that happened yesterday I'm happy to do this, will you be taking breakfast?"

"No, we'll head over to the cottage and have something there."

"Very good, Sir."

She started heading up to the bedrooms, Richard knew not to argue. He waited until Leanne had left Tammy's room before going in there himself. She was just coming out of her bathroom.

"Oh Dad, what is going on?"

"I don't know. Now, can you remember anything about how the man spoke?"

"It was awful English, with an accent, but I can't place it."

"The police told me they needed an interpreter."

"I didn't think it was that bad!"

"Never mind, can you get yourself ready, we're going to the cottage. Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas! She leant over and kissed her father on the cheek."

***

Tammy's appetite wasn't at its' best that morning as they sat around the table in the cottage for their Christmas Day breakfast. They'd brought a few presents over but Tammy was surprised to see Angela's laptop displaying a webpage.

"You're online?"

"Yes, the router was delivered yesterday and we were online at lunchtime. I now apparently need an email address."

"That's easy, we'll sort it out."

The two girls made themselves busy around the laptop, Richard and Joan slid into the kitchen for a private conversation, but Richard was pleased that his daughter was distracted.

It was ten o'clock when the door bell rang, Richard answered it to one of the police officers who'd been at the house the evening before. This, of course, made Tammy tense.

Using the now-cleared kitchen table the officer started talking about Tammy's statement but before writing anything down posed a question to her.

"Do you know anyone who might wish to cause you harm?"

"There were two recently but one, sorry Joan, is dead and the other is in a cell."

"I see, were either of them from overseas?"

"No, John McPherson is from Thurso and George Small was from Bletchley, down South." She resisted referring to the recent independence referendum that might have made England a foreign country.

"What about anyone from Eastern Europe?"

"Dad?"

"It might be?"

"My mother was involved with an Albanian who was travelling on false Italian papers, I helped the Met Police arrest him. What was his name?"

There was a pause before Richard remembered. "Alban Berisha?"

"Yes, that was him, oh, Dad what about mum?"

"I don't know Tammy."

"Do you speak to your mother?"

"Not often, mostly through solicitors these days. I believe she's out on bail. You should contact the Met for that information."

"We will, now, can we write the statement?"

Richard tried calling his soon-to-be ex-wife Tara but her phone was switched off. He could contact his solicitor, Gerald, but that would have to wait until the following week unless it was urgent.

Finally Tammy was done, then the officer turned to Joan.

"I understand you had a prowler?"

"Yes, someone was walking around the cottage but they triggered the new security lights."

"No-one came to the door?"

"No."

"Were you expecting anyone?"

"Tammy was due over, but given the circumstances stayed at the house."

"I see. I'll have a look around now."

Richard offered to accompany him, but was warned not to touch anything for the second time in twenty four hours.

Around the back of the cottage there were some impressions in the light snow that had frozen over night, there were also two cigarette butts, about twenty feet apart.

"Does anyone here smoke?"

"No, it's also prohibited in the school grounds."

"I see."

He went back to his car, returning with gloves and evidence bags, as well as a camera. A few minutes later he was back inside to take a brief statement from Joan before leaving.

"Joan, there was definitely someone there."

"So I wasn't hearing things?"

"No, there were two cigarette butts on the ground, they were the unfiltered type common in Eastern Europe."

"What's going on?"

"No-one knows, but if there's an Albanian connection then we need to be very careful, no-one goes anywhere on their own, right?"

***

By late morning, Tammy had just about brought Angela into the twenty first century. She had email working, social media and online shopping setup on her laptop and her phone. Tanya and Debbie Smith had 'found' Angela so she was gathering an online circle of friends, but only accepting real ones that she'd met for now.

Of course Tammy's own phone had been beeping incessantly with queries about the night before. Sandy would have explained to her offspring once they returned from the party, but Emily had only found out that morning. That prompted Sarah to text her - she was struggling to keep up.

Richard suggested they played a board game but this wasn't treated seriously. A check of the BBC website revealed that flights had started returning to normal the previous lunchtime, with extra flights running through the night, much to the annoyance of those living under the flight paths.

The turkey had been cooking since before nine that morning so the entire cottage had that smell, Richard and Joan were now sharing responsibility for the vegetables and desserts, including making lemon sorbets for each of them. There was also a mushroom based starter, this was less of a glorified Sunday lunch and more of an feast,

Tammy and Angela had by now decided to leave the technology alone, Tammy was up in her room going through Angela's wardrobe, with Angela of course.

"We need to get one of the other girls here to give you some advice on what eighteen year old girls are wearing."

"Do you think it's necessary? Where did you pick up your ideas?"

"In the shop."

"Oh, I'd forgotten."

"We'll have to talk to Sarah to see if you can help out?"

"Does she pay you?"

"No, I get little presents of bits and pieces, including the cocktail dress, every now and again."

"I think mum wants me to get a real job, so I have my own money."

"Wait until the new year and we'll see what's around."

"Okay."

***

After the meal, and The Queen's Speech, the presents were given out. Tammy had gone for multiple little things rather than the single box approach. Angela gained a pair of realistic breasts, plus some bra and knicker sets.

With that out of the way, Tammy didn't want to join the adults in their post-meal doze so asked Angela what there was to do? The answer was a jigsaw on the kitchen table. The two girls were making good progress, assisted by Richard when he woke. Then the house phone rang, Joan was nearest.

"Joan, it's Elsie, is Richard there?"

She passed the phone over.

"Richard, there's a problem at the house. I can't get an answer. I'm worried Richard, could you meet Michael at the house in ten minutes?"

"Damn, Elsie, I've had a glass of wine, what about the staff mobile numbers?"

"I don't know what they are."

"I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you."

Richard pondered, it would be at least an hour before the wine was out of his system but dare he risk it? The problem was that you needed a car here, public transport was not as widespread in Thurso as in Edgware.

He called the house for himself. It rang, and rang, he was on the point of hanging up when it was answered.

"Hello?" There was loud music in the background.

"This is Richard Smart, who is that?"

"Sorry Sir, this is Leanne, is there a problem?"

"No, Mrs McPherson couldn't get an answer just now."

"Oh dear, we're having a great party - is she going to sack us?"

"I doubt it, just turn the music down a little so you can hear the phone ring next time?"

"Yes, Sir, good idea."

He called Cathy's house and quickly explained that they hadn't heard the phone, it wasn't necessary to expand on that.

The day at the cottage ended quietly with Tammy in Angela's room and Richard in Joan's bed.

up
417 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can anyone in the Smart

Can anyone in the Smart family say "it's pay back time?" That is what I believe is happening and it just might be from Tammy's mother via her boyfriend and his henchmen.

cornish visitors

I think Sophie and Heather should be in Thurso investigating everybody! (naughty Richard in Joans bed, giggle. It would seem that he has had a little wine on the festive day!)

En Garde!

Podracer's picture

Tammy's family and friends need to be wide awake, this isn't petty malice from their local scum - it's Berisha's cohorts looking for hostages.. Scary as they don't yet seem to realise how bad they are.

"Reach for the sun."

It May Be Aimed At Tammy's Mum

joannebarbarella's picture

She was certainly associating with the Albanians/Kosovans, but she's out on bail and they may be afraid that she will incriminate them with her evidence, so they think that if they have her daughter as a hostage it will pressure her to keep quiet.

However, knowing how little concern she showed for her son over his ten-year sojourn at school they would probably be disappointed, not that it would help Tammy if they had her captive.

Hope the gamekeep

has his gun replaced. He may need it sooner than later.

Thin soup, thick stew

Jamie Lee's picture

Working in the shop, modeling a few dresses, setting up and updating the Facebook page, and generally helping Sarah in the shop, were just Tammy's now seeming normal routine. Just a nice tasting thin soup which hits the spot.

George now being dead, and John behind bars, there doesn't appear to be any more threats against Tammy or Angela; school is an unknown until they return. Or maybe not, given that Yvonne has finally showed her true colors when in the shop. She is acting more like George than John, and may try to cause problems for both girls. Angela may not be ready to handle any venom Yvonne spews, but she may find Tammy a force she doesn't want to engage.

Leanne and the others parting at the house gives another dimension to their lives. They are always thoughtful in their jobs, actually providing before being asked. And yet they do have personal lives, lives not explained within the story. Yet.

And then it's learned a thick stew has been simmering on the back burner, by an unknown person for unknown reasons. The suddenness of this attack has really unnerved everyone, and heightened their awareness. Next time a man pays undo attention to one of these people, alarms bells will sound. And there will be another time since this time failed.

So Richard and Joan are just friends, according to what Richard to Tammy. Uh huh, right, pull the other one, it's wooden. Joan is in need of someone in her life, someone who treats her as Richard has been doing. And as strong a front Richard projects, he needs a woman like Joan in his life. They are good for each other.

Others have feelings too.