Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 16 - Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Sixteen

 

Final Chapter

 
 

"Rest In Peace"

 
 
Sunday 4th January
 

Richard had collected Tammy and Suzie at midnight, taking both of them back to the house. Suzie had a room there for the next few days but was planning to spend as much time with her mother and new sister as was possible.

One concern for Tammy, and her father, were Louise's whereabouts. Tammy had been the last one to see her, at half past eight that morning. However, as the three of them were walking from Richard's car another vehicle swept into the driveway. It parked by the stables and the driver came towards them.

"Louise?"

"Hi Tammy, Richard. Can we go in?"

"Sure."

"Suzie, this is Louise, who was my bodyguard until recently."

"You weren't kidding about that either?"

"No, she was brought in because of one kidnapping attempt," Tammy swept her arm as they approached the front door, "here, then disarmed a Kosovan terrorist in the hotel bar a few days later."

They walked into the warm house, quickly closing the door behind. Louise dashed up the stairs to her room.

"Girls, I suggest you get changed. Tammy, I think you should come back down but Suzie it's up to you."

"Is there any hot chocolate on offer?"

"Would that make a difference?"

"Yes."

Leanne appeared from nowhere.

"Sir, Miss Smart, Miss Small, would you like anything to drink?"

"Thank you Leanne, two hot chocolates and a latte please."

"Certainly Sir, I'll serve in the sitting room."

"Thank you."

Suzie looked dumbfounded. "Is this for real?"

"Yes it is, Suzie, come on up and I'll show you your room. Did you bring a onesie?"

"I didn't have room for one in my bag."

"You can borrow one of mine, come to my room."

It was just gone half-past midnight when they gathered in the sitting room. The fire had been stoked and was pouring heat into the room. Louise was the last one to come back down and she didn't look good.

Tammy went to ask a question but was stopped by her father.

"Let Louise tell us in her own words."

Leanne had actually left three hot chocs for them, Louise was now hugging the third one, sipping occasionally. It was another few minutes before she started.

"I was going to Inverness today, I mean yesterday, my plan was to explore a bit more of the Highlands before I head south but I also figured I might be able to do some digging whilst I was there." She looked at Tammy who nodded understanding.

"Anyway, I hit a patch of ice on the way back, near Invergordon, and buckled one of the wheels. I had no signal for my phone so had to wait for someone to stop so I could get somewhere warm and use my phone."

"What was this digging?" Richard interjected.

"Yvonne Stewart had worked in Inverness and still has a flat there, I wanted to find out what she was like."

"I never authorised that."

"No, which is why I was doing it after my contract finished. I had promised Tammy I would see what I could find out."

"Which was?"

"That she seems to go from school to school with impeccable references but in reality each school just wants rid of her. Her reputation is that of a vindictive woman, she bears grudges for the long term. I was told she was a union representative at each school so had time off to attend meetings, which were often an overnight stay in Glasgow or Edinburgh."

"That sounds fairly normal."

"The rumour was that she was having affairs with union reps from other schools, particularly married ones. It appears that one of her earlier conquests started work at Dundee Academy for Girls in September which prompted her to look for another school. Apparently he had already split from his wife so had no problem threatening to expose her. Just before she worked her last day there she accused him of sexual harassment."

"Nasty."

"Quite, Tammy. Louise, how certain are you of this?"

"I spoke to his ex-wife and to one of the school office staff who's just retired from the school in Inverness."

"Dad, Sarah's daughter Emily, is going to be talking to friends who went to Dundee Academy for Girls next week, and Cathy wasn't too kind when she spoke to me before Christmas."

"Tammy, just because you are having problems with Yvonne doesn't mean you're entitled to dig into her background."

"Dad, she's been positively dismissive of me, despite that I haven't done anything to you. Did I tell you what happened in the shop last week?"

"I don't remember."

Louise intervened. "Richard, I was there. Yvonne said she did not want to be served by 'her'. All Tammy had done was to ask if she could help. That was beyond dismissive, it was plainly abusive and she was told to leave the shop."

"Dad, you really need to ask Joan what Yvonne has said to her."

"Mr Smart?"

"Suzie, I'm Richard."

"Okay Richard, but I remember Dad was a union rep in Bletchley before we moved up here. I don't know if he was involved here however."

"Okay, but please don't say anything to Angela and let me speak to your mum. Tammy, you're to keep quiet too in case there's really nothing here."

"Yes Dad."

"Okay, Louise, how come you're back so late?"

"It took ages for someone to stop and when they did it was the Police. They first took me back to Inverness and wanted to do a drugs test on me."

"Drugs?"

"They said they had information that I had drugs in my system."

"Information? From where?"

"They wouldn't say."

"Anyway that took ages and was, of course, negative. Then I had to call my insurance company as the police wouldn't let me do that first. Finally at ten I was delivered a courtesy car, my car will be collected this morning I think."

"Right, let's all get off to bed."

"Gladly. Good night all."

***

"Good morning Elsie."

"Well, good morning Tammy, did you not sleep well?"

"It was a late night, for several reasons."

"Are you going to introduce me?"

"Sorry Elsie, Suzie this is Elsie McPherson, the owner of this estate. Elsie, this is Suzie Small, Joan's daughter."

Once the greetings were done with they sat for breakfast. Richard and Louise it seemed had already eaten and were in the study.

"Elsie, I have been asked out to lunch by Sarah today."

"Oh, I was going to ask the Smalls here for lunch."

"Angela was invited by Sarah as well."

"But Suzie will have to return on Tuesday, won't you?"

"Yes Elsie."

"So, Tammy, sorry but you'll have to postpone your lunch date."

"I understand."

Tammy's phone pinged.

Tell Suzie she can join us for lunch at the Castletown. I'll pick you up at 1145. Sarah

Almost immediately after that the study door opened and her father walked into the dining room.

"Tammy, I'm taking Louise down to Inverness as there's something wrong with her car."

"Apart from one of the wheels being buckled?"

"Yes, let's just say that it's something suspicious."

"Oh."

"Elsie, we'll probably not be back before four so we'll get lunch out."

"Erm, Elsie, Sarah's just invited Suzie as well." She looked at Suzie who just shrugged, clearly out of her depth in this household.

"Right, my plan is scuppered. I'll have Thomas contact the hotel and book Joan and myself a table."

Tammy nodded, at least she didn't have to tell Sarah she and Angela couldn't make it. Her father and Louise went out the door and set off for Inverness. He had plainly not said much to Elsie and wouldn't unless he had definite, confirmed, information.

Tammy started heading for her room to shower and dress, she signalled to Suzie to follow.

"Let's go to my room, I guess you packed light?"

"Yes, I brought one dress and that was for the funeral but I figure I might need one for lunchtime today?"

"That's the Sunday protocol in the hotel, although no-one would actually say anything to your face."

"What do I do?"

"I reckon we're the same size, pick something off the rail."

"Thanks."

Tammy stripped to her knickers and bra, not worrying that a girl she barely knew was in her room, and walked into her bathroom for her shower. Five minutes later she was back, wearing a towel; Suzie was still there.

"Tammy, what's going on here?"

"What do you mean?"

"Elsie said Thomas would call the hotel?"

"Yes, he's the butler."

"Last night you called that girl Leanne."

"Yes, she's the chambermaid for my and Dad's rooms, plus any guests. Elsie has her own, Anna."

"I guess there's a cook as well?"

"Two, I think, plus a gamekeeper and a team of estate workers."

"She must be worth millions."

"I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. I know what I'm worth and I have a fair idea what dad's worth but I could, even there, be out by a factor of ten."

"So what are you worth, sorry, you don't have to answer that."

"Seeing as it looks like your security clearance is going to pretty good, I'll tell you but again it a guesstimate. I think it's around three to five million."

"Great, I am in make-believe land."

"Look, your mum's worth a bit too."

"But nowhere near that."

"True, anyway I'd like to get dressed and I suggest you hit the shower."

"Good idea, it might wake me up from this dream."

"Meet me in here for coffee when you're ready." Tammy went to her phone and called Thomas' alcove as Suzie left the room, leaving the chosen dress.

Tammy dressed in her undies and wrapped a light gown around herself before sitting on her bed to make a call.

"Angela, what happened to you last night?"
"I don't know, I don't know."
"You must know. Suzie enjoyed herself, despite the incident."
"I saw that."
"Where?"
"Facebook, someone took photos last night."
"Oh."
"Don't worry, you weren't in any of them."
"I don't want my name associated with trouble."
"Bit late for that, Tammy."
"Are you going to let us, I mean Sarah, down today?"
"Are you suggesting I'm unreliable?"
"No, but please don't break promises to be somewhere."
"I wouldn't have liked it."
"Why? Truth please."
"Suzie."
"What about her?"
"She has it all."
"Yes, she's also three years older than you and has seen rather more of the world."
"But she's a girl!"
"You noticed!"
"That's not what I meant."
"Get real, Angela, you've told me that you're a girl too."
"Yeah, but she's a real girl."
"And you're not? You're jealous aren't you?"
"Maybe."
"Don't be, she's lovely and she thinks alot of you, her baby sis."
"I'm not a baby."
"Okay, l'il sis."
"That's still not right."
"What are you expecting? She's older than you, that's all. You can be her equal if you drop this stupid jealousy and learn from her."
"I suppose so."
"That's better. Now find yourself a frock to wear and be ready at eleven thirty. That gives you an hour and a half, is that long enough?"
"Yes."
"Got to go, bye."
"Bye."

 
Tammy sighed, if Angela kept up this self-doubt then Tim could be back by Easter and that would destroy her. At least Angela was due to see Professor Roberts in a few weeks.

She sat at the dressing table and picked up her hairdryer. Her hair was now long enough to try different styles but today she just did a high pony tail. Tanya had offered to show her how to do a French plat but they hadn't had time together, maybe she could come up to the house next weekend?

By the time the coffee was delivered, Tammy was wearing a floral tea dress and sat putting on her make-up. Suzie came in as Leanne was leaving, Suzie had obviously found a gown.

"Shall I pour?" The coffee was in a large cafetière. "Pull up a chair."

They talked about Tammy's adventures, Suzie's work but eventually Tammy told her about the earlier conversation with Angela.

"Mum's told me how insecure Angela is."

"I don't think it's that simple, I mean Tim wasn't a strong character either but Angela does things Tim would never have tried."

"How much of that is down to our dad not being here?" Tammy was aware that Suzie still, rightly, had feelings for her father.

"That's true, but Tim was strong enough to tell your father, to his face, that he was gay - even if that wasn't completely correct."

"Mum told me about that, I must admit I found it funny that he had stood up to dad but when I heard about Angela I worried that he, she, would look like a boy in a frock. Sorry, I'm getting the pronouns mixed."

"Don't worry about that, it's all female now. We did have that perception problem when dad and I took Angela to London at the beginning of December but I took her shopping. That's when she gained the wig."

"And had someone arrested at the same time?"

"That one was fun at the time, but turns out to be serious enough that the counter terrorism squad are involved."

Suzie decided to change the subject.

"Are you looking forward to getting back to school?"

"For a bit of peace and quiet, yes, but I'm still worried about one person."

"I'm sure it'll work itself out. Anyway, I've decided I don't like that dress so I'll have to choose another."

She first went back to her room to collect her makeup, having decided to sit and talk to Tammy whilst she put it on.

They were finally ready by half eleven and met Elsie downstairs.

"Very nice, girls."

"Thank you, Elsie."

"Now, how are you getting down there?"

"Sarah's due here in fifteen minutes, then we'll collect Angela." She left off the 'if' question.

"That's too early for me otherwise I would have taken you there, I'll see you down there at one, Jonathon left five minutes ago to collect Joan and Angela, if she's ready." The two girls looked at each other and giggled.

"Quite." Elsie might have made the comment but wasn't intending a joke. "Anyway, if you'd like a lift back here afterwards then speak to me down there."

Joan and Angela arrived a few minutes later. Angela was in an aqua shift dress and didn't look comfortable.

"The zip is rubbing."

Joan sighed, "I told her to put a cami on."

"Angela, come on up and we'll sort it out."

"Yes, boss."

Elsie tutted, "young lady, Tammy is trying to help. There's no need to be insolent."

Angela put her head down. "Angela, we don't have time to mope, Suzie could you give me a hand?"

The three went back up, Tammy told Angela to drop the dress but she refused.

"Why?"

She looked around at her sister. Tammy laughed.

"Don't be a prude, I bet she's seen you naked loads of time and all we're asking now is to drop the dress so you can put a cami on. Grow up Angela."

"I can't reach the zip."

"Suzie, can you help?" Suzie had been careful not to laugh whilst this was going on otherwise all the effort Tammy was putting in would be lost.

Two minutes later Angela was dressed and checking herself in the full-length mirror.

"Better?"

"Yes, thank you, both of you."

They made it back down just as Sarah tooted outside. Suzie and Tammy were both wearing jackets, Angela had a cardigan and wasn't going to be warm enough. Tammy decided to let that one go, Suzie could offer some sisterly advice later.

***

Lunch passed without incident, for once. When Elsie and Joan arrived they were seated some distance from the Sarah and the three girls.

The talking took up more time than the eating so it was half past two by the time they were done. Sarah had ordered a bottle of wine and now, wisely, decided to leave her car in the carpark and take a taxi home. They were all standing when Elsie approached.

"Good afternoon Sarah."

"Hello Elsie, I wonder if you might be able to run these ladies home?"

"I would think so. Did you enjoy lunch?"

"Yes, but then I always do here."

"I must come to see you later in the week."

"I look forward to it."

Frances informed Sarah that her taxi was waiting so she left and Elsie instructed her brood to wait for Jonathon to pull up.

They arrived back at the house just after Richard and Louise. Richard asked Elsie to join him and Louise in the study as soon as she had her coat off. Suzie had been dropped off along with Joan and Angela at the cottage and would be brought over later.

Richard caught up with Tammy later, after she'd hung up her dress then slid into leggings and a simple top.

"It seems Louise's nearside front tyre was slashed, that's the cause of the accident. The garage spotted it and suggested the police were involved."

Louise continued, "it was the same officers who saw me last night, at least I had a better experience today."

"It seems the Smart name has reached Inverness as their tune changed when I explained who I was and why I was there, I also said I was Louise's employer."

"But, Dad, the contract's finished?"

"It's restarted but this time it's as an investigator not a bodyguard."

"Okay, but why was the tyre cut?"

"To be determined, but the police are going through the CCTV at the Rose Street multi-storey carpark."

"Is it connected to Yvonne?"

"We can't say that, it could be random malicious vandalism."

"That's vandalism that could have killed Louise."

"Yes, but there's nothing to say Louise was targeted. Anyway, be careful. Remember that we're back in Inverness tomorrow."

"I hadn't forgotten."

"Do you have something appropriate to wear?"

"Yes."

 
Monday 5th January
 

The atmosphere in the McPherson household was solemn as each of them prepared for departure. Suzie had been run over to the cottage once she was dressed so she could ride in the Limo. Jonathon, the gamekeeper, was driver for the day and had donned a chauffeur's uniform.

Riding in the Range Rover were Elsie, Richard, Tammy and Harry Davison, Chairman of the school's governing body. Harry's place would have been on the coach that was being run from the school but he complained of travel sickness if travelling by coach. In reality it was difficult to enjoy a tot from his hip-flask on the coach whereas Elsie turned a blind eye.

Tammy rode up front with Jonathon so the three adults, all school governors, could discuss matters. Tammy had brought headphones and her mp3 player so wouldn't have heard much anyway. She was in a black dress with a black jacket, barely black tights and black kitten-heeled court shoes. Elsie had leant her a hat but Tammy was still unsure if she should wear it.

Louise hadn't been seen since breakfast and Tammy thought better than to ask, given the current circumstances.

The Range Rover went first to the school and took its' place behind the hearse and limo, in front of the coach. Any other vehicles would travel independently and none more were known to be joining the convey.

They set off at nine fifteen for the two hour plus run to Inverness, where the Highlands Crematorium could be found, pulling into the carpark off Kilvean Road at eleven fifty. The service was scheduled for midday so the undertakers had everyone moving quickly.

The service was simple and quick with a humanist minister saying a few words. When the minister reached the part where she said "George leaves a loving wife and two daughters," there were shouts of "shame on you" from the back. Heads quickly turned to identify the protagonists but they appeared to have slipped out. The service concluded shortly after and the congregation filed out into the gardens.

Richard put himself next to Joan, to give her support with her daughters supporting each other. One or two tried to give their condolences to Suzie and ignore Angela but Suzie corrected them each time, "this is my sister Angela, I'm sure the condolences were meant for her too?"

There were many flowers and, as the congregation dispersed, were gathered by the undertakers for return to Thurso. Joan had asked that all the flowers went to the school, all bar a simple floral display her daughters had provided.

They left the crematorium at one and drove back to Thurso, to St Andrews School. Once they arrived they went to the hall where the Head, Dr McIntosh, made a speech, his words careful not to glorify the former teacher who had been under suspension when he took his life.

The wake commenced and polite conversation was heard around the room. Once or twice Tammy heard her's and Angela's names being mentioned but dismissed it. By six it was winding down and there were many inquisitive students looking into the hall.

Tammy walked with her father towards the waiting Range Rover for their short ride to the house. Tomorrow morning she'd be back here, with her exams a short five months away.

End of Tamara's First Christmas

 
 

Tammy's story continues in Tamara's Trials

 

trials_v1.png
up
379 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Angela

It is no sin for Angela to stop her transition. No one should do this if they are not sure, and Tammy could be a bit less pushy.

Gwen

Well Done!

Another great chapter completing your second volume in the Tamara series. I looked forward to reading about her final semester in school.

Red MacDonald

Thank you Shiraz,

A great series and most enjoyable,I look forward to the "Trials" .I just hope that Angela comes to terms with who she is,not what.

ALISON

Thank You

I've really enjoyed this series so far.

It will be interesting to see how the problem with Louise's car sorts out. It's hard to imagine that Yvonne could have figured out who she was (let alone organize a potentially lethal action against her) even if someone from Inverness did advise her that there was a woman asking questions about her.

Angela needs confidence in herself

I think that might be the biggest problem for her. It's possible that Angela might be gay and not transgendered, but the doctors will help her to understand herself. She could very well believe that she should be a girl. Angela is not the only one in the world who feels that they are a girl inside, but is afraid to find out if it is really true.

I'm looking forward to 'Trials'. I would think that we might see Heather and Sophie again, just because it sounds like Suzie will be working with or even for Heather.

poor Angela

her lack of confidence reminds me of someone ...

DogSig.png

Really looking forward to the

Really looking forward to the new series starting soon. I am wondering if Louise and Sophie might know each other, either as police officers together or having worked on previous mutual cases together. It would be fun to see all four ladies interacting with each other. Heather and Tammy, Louise and Sophie. Happy New Year, Janice Lynn

many thanks Shiraz

Looking forward to "Trials", no doubt the Yvonne situation will be dealt with and I do hope Dear old Elsie is going to be OK

Lots Of Loose Ends

joannebarbarella's picture

To weave into another series. There's the Yvonne question....and where is the situation between Richard and Joan going to end up and Angela and Elsie's problem....and new accommodation; not to mention the terrorists and who caused the interjection at the funeral. Oh! I could go on, but I just want Shiraz to get on with it and delight us some more.

Loose ends

shiraz's picture

Oh no! I've left some loose ends? Perhaps I should have tidied it all up and written a 'Happily Ever After' book?

Nah, not as much fun! As for another cross-over/tie-in with Unaccounted Gains, who knows? Maybe that's in the book that follows? (A Douglas Adams reference just sprang to mind for no good reason)

shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Loose ends.

WillowD's picture

Ack! No! Then we never would have gotten all of those awesome stories that followed. I'm glad you have kept this as an ongoing series. And that you merged it with Snowfall's people. You two and WolfJess7 are AWESOME!!!

So looking forward to seeing more.....

D. Eden's picture

This has been a wonderful story and I am truly looking forward to the continuation of it in the New Year!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

It has been a wonderful story.

gillian1968's picture

I'm looking forward to more of it.
I sympathise with Angela.

I think I know what I want but I am not sure if I want it enough to really see it through.

Good writing!

Gillian Cairns

Wow,

You could give Ang a run for her money.

Looking forward to reading more.

Things not QUITE settled

Jamie Lee's picture

It's really hard for Suzie to believe the stories she's been told. Or that Elsie has a staff who take care of her, the house, grounds, and guests. It seem she only believed such people existed in stories.

Elsie really should inform others when she has an event planned, before they make their own plans. Seems Elsie consider her plans the most important as she expects others to cancel the plans they had. Talk about being rude.

Yep, if only family and those from the school attended r he services for George, then it was someone from the school who caused a problem at the service. And there's only one person who would have the nerve to do it while the family is present. Yvonne.

If it was vandalism, why was Louise's car the only one hit? Vandals try and cause as much damage as they can before getting caught, so other tires would have been slashed. Someone targeted Louise.

Others have feelings too.

Informing others

WillowD's picture

I suspect that part of Elsie's problem is that when house guests are visiting her for the weekend or the week, their plans mostly revolve Elsie. She's not used to having house guests for months on end who may have their own plans.

Overall, Elsie is an absolutely awesome person.