Nowhere to Run: Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png

Chapter Three
The Outbreak

“Holy shit, did you see that?” I curse, but no one cares because we are watching, as one of the weird watching people takes a bite out of the woman's throat, and blood is squirting everywhere.

“Look at those other's, they are biting her too,” I say watching. The lady stops screaming as she dies, and they just pile on her, noticing blood everywhere.

We stare in shock and observe all around as we stand there watching. “This is crazy. I feel like we are in the show “The Walking Dead.” I say then turn and look at mom and Jen with their hands over their mouth’s, standing in shock.

Mom and Jen turn and see me staring at as a lady taking a chunk out of some old lady's neck about ten feet from us. She bites into her neck, blood squirts everywhere, and extensive veins oozing out more blood.

We start backing up into the store next to the restrooms and discover a security guard laying in a pool of blood with his head beaten in. “Mom, this is crazy, but on the walking dead, they shoot the zombies in the head, and they die. That security guard looks gross, but he has a gun on his side and also looks at his ankle that must be his back up like they have on TV.”

“I have no idea how to shoot a gun.” I look at each other, and mom and Jen appear more scared than me. I won't tell them that I am so scared I almost pee myself when I saw that first person get killed.
Jen turn and screams. “Mom, look, those two zombies are turning towards us, what do we do?” Jen says standing there staring at mommy. I look at mommy, and she has her hands over her mouth in shock or something not responding.

“Jen, you're closer to that security guard, grab his gun and point it at the zombie and pull the trigger.” Jen does exactly that. She takes the gun out of the security guard's holster, aims it at the zombie closest, pulls the trigger and shoots him in the chest. The zombie still keeps sauntering towards us.

Jen turns and stares at me this time. “Jen, use both your hands and aim at his head. On TV, that is what kills them.” My sister says nothing. She is acting like a robot with no feeling and quickly aims at the head.
BANG!
She hits the zombie in the head, and it drops to the ground.

“Excellent shot Jen, that’s what we have to do, shoot the other one while I get his back up pistol around his ankle.” I run over to the guard, and it is not that easy to get the gun off his ankle, but I do it and run back to mom and Jen.

Mom stares at me and then at Jen. “Natalie, you're only six years old, you shouldn’t be holding a gun.” I look at her like she is stoned or something.

“You have to be kidding mom, before I was changed into this little girl's body, I used to shoot paintball wars with my buddies. I am pretty good by the way, but do you know how to shoot a gun? Mom, these are way heavier now than when I was a 16-year-old boy.

Mom looks at me. “No, I never shot a gun or even had one in my hand,” Mom says while staring at me holding the small pistol in my hand down on my side.

BANG! BANG!

We see Jen shot another one of the zombies.

“Good shot Jen, but remember to try to go with one shot, one kill, not like a video game or in the movies where they never run out of ammo.” I notice Jen stare at me, and her eyes open wide.

I turn and just as I turn, I hear a mommy scream as a zombie grabs her by the shoulder, and he moves his blood dripping mouth to mommy's neck. I turn and lift the pistol up, and just put it under the zombie’s throat, and I pull the trigger.

BANG!

When I pull the trigger, you can see the blood shoot out of the top of the zombie's head, and my arm and side are covered in blood and chunks of brain. Way freaking disgusting, looks like spaghetti all over me.

“Great, you saved mom, Natalie.” I look at mommy and she is screaming, but no sound is coming out of her mouth because blood has landed all over her face too.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I turn quickly and see it is Jen. “Man, you scared the crap out of me, Jen.”

“Oh, don’t be such a drama queen.” I stare at her smiling face. “That was awesome that you saved mom, I would have never been able to shoot that far away.”

I look up at her. “I am not a drama queen!”

“Mom, are you okay? Remember, I saved you the next time you want to ground me or give me a spanking.” Jen and I notice mommy laughing uncontrollably.

Mom comes close and hugs both of us. “Thank you, sweetie. You saved my life. Thank you again, sweetheart, but there are way too many of them, we need to get out of here.”

The moment we hear the words that came out of mom's mouth, we hear a loud crash. We three turn and observe over 100 of them coming through the glass wall and glass doors into the airport. “We need to go, and we need to go now, run!” Mom screams, and we run in the opposite direction of the wave of slow-moving zombies coming our direction.

“Mom, where are we running too? There seem to be zombies everywhere. The only good thing is they are so sluggish,” Jen asks mom while we are running.

I look at mom like Jen, and mom is just staring at the slow-moving zombie. “I don’t know where to go or which way to go, all I know is I don’t want to be near these zombie things.”

“Mom, we know we can kill them, but we will run out of bullets. I think we should go to a sporting good place in this airport so we can get more bullets to protect ourselves.”

Jen looks at me. “Why the hell would an airport have a sporting goods store or even bullets in the first place?”

“Well, I know they have a sporting goods department in Pawxie. They have everything we could need.” Mom and Jen glance at me. “We are heading the right direction too.”

I can see my 14-year-old sister staring at me. “I think that is a wonderful idea. I will be in front like I am, and you stay turned to the back, and mom seems out of it, so she will be in the middle okay?”

“Sounds good.” Jennifer turned to eye contact with me, and she trips over one of the zombies, dead people, parts or blood she slips and lands on the floor. “Are you okay sis? They get pretty close to us up and hold onto mom. I am too small to hold your weight.”

I watch as Jen leans up against mom, and it looks like her ankle is sprained or twisted, or something because it is starting to swell up. “Jen, keep your shooting arm up, so if we are surprised, you can defend yourself. I guess I will lead now and you watch our backs, sis, okay?”

“Okay, I am fine, just don’t leave me here to get eaten by these crazy looking zombies.” I can tell she is crying softly.

Another 100 feet and we will be there. “We are almost there, just stay near the wall, so we only have to look in front of us. Jen, can you make it too Pawxie? Look, you can see the entrance.”

“Yes, yes I can, but don’t leave me behind.” Mom and Jen hold each other, and we are big time screwed if one of us gets any more hurt.

There is a security guard laying against the wall in a pool of blood, but he has no weapons. He is laying underneath some control cabinet with a key hanging from it. “Hey, do you see the dead security guard over there?” It looks like he was trying to turn the security on, and those steel gates come down when the store is closed. If we could get that gate down, we would be safely inside sears.”

“But there are zombies inside Pawxie too,” Jen says as mom looks to me and then at Jen.

I watch mom grab Jen so that she can hold her better. “Natalie is right, if we can lock ourselves in there, then no more zombies can come in there, and we just have to kill the ones still inside. I have to carry your sister. Natalie, you are the one that has to turn that key or something to shut the gates.”

“Okay, I can do it. Like I have a choice, I have to do it.” We continue to move, and now we are inside Pawxie, and I run from mom and Jen and discover the key. I have no idea which way or what to do, and the zombies are almost up to us. I am running out of time.

I glance quick at the stainless steel switch and dial, and I notice all kinds of letters, and one says, Code Adam. I turn it to that, and the steel gates start to come down with red lights flashing. I look farther and can see all the windows and glass doors are all being secured by the steel fence coming down. Over the loudspeakers, you can hear a voice speaking. “This is a Code Adam, there is a missing child in the store, and all the windows and doors are now being secured. The police are being called, everyone stay calm.”

“How did you do that Natalie.” I hear mom and Jen saying simultaneously, so mom lets Jen down, so they can both catch their breaths.

The gate is secure. The zombies reach the steel wall, fence, and they make weird variety of noises, but they cannot come in. “We had the police come to our school last year when I was in high school. The police told us about a boy kidnapped in a store, and they made it known that a Code Adam would lock down any store. So I guess when I saw the words on the dial that said ‘Code Adam', I turned to that and got lucky.”

BANG! BANG!

Mom and I turn, and Jen is pointing her smoking gun at a zombie behind me. I watch as it falls to the ground. “Thanks, Jen, I guess we can never let our guard down. The second we take a break, we almost were killed.”

“Let’s get to the sporting goods department and get some more bullets.” We slowly start to move towards the signs that say camping, and there is blood, guts, and a live zombie on the floor moving its head, and its only arm making noise as we pass by it.

“Man, that is seriously gross, I mean it’s bad enough that these things kill you, but they mess your hair up, and make you look so ugly and gross too.”

I gaze at her and then at mom. We both start busting up laughing. “Are you okay Jen?" I laugh, "These zombies are eating people alive and killing them, and you’re worried about your hair.” Mom and I giggle staring at Jen.

“Well, at least I'm not naked. I mean, wouldn’t that be the worst thing ever to turn into a zombie, and be naked?” I mean, is there anything worse?”

I look at Jen, and I believe she is in shock. “Your right, maybe I should get my hair done and my nails like you, so I look like a pretty zombie with my head bitten off, at least I will have pretty nails.” Mom and I shake our heads.

“Yeah, know Natalie, we are going through the girl's department.” I roll my eyes. Didn't we just go shopping for me earlier? I look around and see all the dresses. I turn around and see mom putting a dress on a hanger up to the back of me. “Oh, this will look so cute on you sweetheart.”

I shake my head. “I can't believe you, mom, one minute you’re in shock and can't talk, and the next you’re picking dresses out.”

BANG!

Mom and I both turn at the gunshot. Jen just shot another zombie. Mom continued searching through the dresses.

“Mom, are you serious? I mean those zombies could be back any second." I stop and gaze at a dress. "Oh, that dress looks pretty." I shake my head, getting my mind on track again. "I mean we are in Pawxie, packed with freaking zombies trying to kill us, and you're looking through dresses?”

BANG!

Jen shots another zombie as it falls to the ground. I glance back at her.

“Okay, let’s get out of here girl's.” We hear mom say. We start to move slowly.
All of a sudden, mom screams and several zombies are grabbing her from the back. Jen and I turn simultaneously, and we both shoot, but both the zombies fall on top of mom. “Go save yourselves, girl's, I am done for!”

The dead zombies fall over mom, and several live ones start climbing or falling over them and start coming after us. “We better run Natalie.” I glance back, and I can't even see mom anymore, as the zombies entirely cover her up after they fell on top of her, with the other's climbing over them trying to bite us.

“Okay, I am coming, you check the front, and I’ll watch the back,” I say.

BANG! BANG!

I shoot one super ugly zombie who was having a terrible hair day and is coated with her or someone else’s blood.

After I kill that one, I get closer to Jen, and we run full blast over to the sporting goods department, and the wall is packed with rifles, shotguns, and all types of weapons. We both hide behind the counter, and a notice box after box of bullets.

“Look Natalie, you are right. Look at all the bullets. Why would an airport have so many guns and bullets?” She asked me. She looks at each box. "How do we know what size we need, they're are all different sizes?”

I look at the boxes. I wasn't even sure.

"Don't worry, Natalie, I figured it out. She puts bullets into the gun she was holding.

"Here take these," she says, pushing them across the floor towards me.

I take them out of the box and open my gun. To my surprise, there was only one left. I start filling it back up.

“Wow sis, I was on my last bullet.” I continue to load more bullets.

Jen looks through the top of the counter. “I don’t see any more zombies, maybe we killed all of them.” I gaze over at her doing the same thing I am loading up. “Maybe we are safe now. I can't believe mom is gone now.” I hear her start to cry.

“No sis, don’t make any noise. On TV, what attracts the zombies is sound. We can cry for mom later when we are safe. I still think there are more out there.” I continue to load up.

Jen stops crying, and I notice her staring at the semi-automatic rifles. “Hey, little sis, did you ever shoot one of these kinds of guns?” They look like they hold a lot more bullets than these pistols.

“No, I never shot one of those, but then again, I never shot a real gun until a while ago, I only shot paintball guns before, so how hard can it be to shoot one of those rifles? I guess you just point and pull the trigger, how hard can that be.” I watch as Jen rubs her ankle moaning.

I stand up slowly, seeing a few zombies.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

“Wow, that was cool as anything. Did you see that?”
I was more surprised how fast that automatic rifle went off. I look over and see the zombie still advancing towards us, but a lot slower. “You shot him right in the balls Jen. What the heck kind of show was that? You need to shoot them in the head to kill them.”

“I know little sister, but he’s not a he anymore, he’s an 'it', since it doesn’t have any balls or a dick and it won't be making any babies.” Jen giggles, and then I shake my head, and I start giggling too.

Jen stands back up and points the rifle and shoots one shot between the eyes, it falls to the ground. We both laugh at each other until we hear lots of growling near us as we both turn. “Oh crap there right on top of us,” I say as I pick up my gun, but they're so close.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos