Nowhere To Run: Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png


Chapter 12

The Mission

“We got back into Mr. Sanders' apartment. Jill and I were still crying. I couldn't believe it. How could we have lost? As much as I have known, I have never seen a movie where zombies climbed. Except in World War Z, but that was zombies climbing on zombies. These zombies were not climbing on top of each other. They were climbing up a rope, or a wire in this case.

In the episode of Doctor Who called New Earth, some humans resembled zombies, who climbed up an elevator shaft, but they were not zombies, only the infected. Of course, there were zombie episodes of Doctor Who, but they were nothing like these zombies we are facing. More of a joke.

“Now that we're safe from the zombies, what do we do?” I asked

“I don't know. We don't have anyone to help us anymore. Mr. Sanders is gone and...” Jill started crying some more.

I walked over to the computer. It was still on, which was good. I checked out the Ethernet cord. It was very long. It was not getting any power sent to it. I followed the cable to where it went in the building. It brought me to a small hole in the ground. “This must bring me to the older ladies apartment downstairs.” I thought. I had to find a way to get the Internet working again.

I looked around the room where Jill was. She must have cried herself to sleep. That was good. I didn't want to tell her I was leaving. She would freak out if she knew I was leaving her alone and going down to a zombie-infested area, simply for the Internet.

If we didn't have the Internet, I wouldn't find locations in the area for items we could use. It was a good thing I still smelled disgusting. I took another glob of zombie goo and spread it on me, merely for safe keeping. It was located in the hallway.

I took my Katana and slowly opened the doorway to the staircase to the next level down. No zombies were there. It was dark though. I wish the lights worked in this room. It worked everywhere else. I'm guessing it blew out and maintenance wasn't able to fix it. Or it's not on the same grid as the rest of the building. It should be. It's a solar panel.

I made it slowly to the bottom. Stepping over the dead along the way. When I made it to the bottom, I opened the door again slowly. There were a few wandering around the hallways. It was bright enough for me to see them. Thank God, the lights were not broken here. I had my Katana out just in case one tried to attack me. Which none did.

If I were correct, the room the old lady lived in would be directly below Mr. Sanders' room. So I chose the same doorway as his, was above. It was locked. As I suspected. There were only two things to do. I had to find the master key to get in the doorway or start picking the lock.

Since the master key was on the bottom level and I was on the… I don't know forty-something-ish floor. I wasn't going to go down there, just find, maybe nothing. I started picking the lock with one of my Bobby Pins. Yes, I am using Bobby Pins. I had to find some way to keep this hair out of my eyes. I wasn't going to cut it. Maybe someday, I might get it trimmed. But not sure when. Perhaps when the whole Zombie Apocalypse is over. Phhh… like that's going to happen?

I pulled apart one Bobby Pin so that it is a long, flat metal piece. I was making a pick. I stripped off the rubber knobs on the ends with my teeth. If I didn't, they would only get in the way. I stuck the pin into the lock. I have picked locks before. Usually with a paperclip. But since I didn't have one. The Bobby Pin will do. I can always get a new one.

While I picked, I kept glancing back at the zombies. They were freaking me out. I stopped picking and ended up taking me Katana, and chopping up the only zombies there in half, and cutting off their heads. I then made sure the other doors were locked and shut. Now I can work in silence. Which was too silent.

After a while, I finally got the sucker unlocked. It was a bit challenging. I opened the door slowly. I didn't want a zombie coming after me. My luck none did. But I couldn't open it. The lady put the chain on it. Which means she is still in the apartment, and she is dead or a zombie.

I had to get in there. I was such a little girl. I couldn't break the chain by just pushing it with my weight. I had to back up and take a running start. I stepped away from the door and stood there staring at it. Then when I had the courage, I ran as fast as possible to the door.

Before I even got there, the door shut on me. I hit the door with a smack.

“Ow!” I cried. I heard the door lock on me. Someone was in the apartment. I called out. “Hello? Is anyone in there?” I had my hand to my nose. I hope I didn't break it. Next thing I heard was the lock and chain unlocking. The door opens, and a woman stepped out looking at me.

“Oh dear, I'm so sorry.” She took me into her apartment and shut the door. I wasn't paying attention, but while she took me in, I left my Katana outside the doorway.

The woman was an older woman of about in her late fifties early sixties. I believe she was the older lady that Mr. Sanders was talking about. I wonder how she lived this long all by herself? She went into her kitchen and got an ice pack and puts it in a handkerchief.

“Here you go, sweetie,” she coos. “Put this on your booboo.”

“What does she think I am, four?” As she hands me the ice pack, I put it on my almost swollen nose.

“Owie!” I cry.

She picks me up and puts me on her lap. I am so little; I can be picked up. This bothered me. But I was also a little joyful. I haven't been pampered like this in a long time. My mom used to do this, but then she met George Russell. Just thinking of his name makes me mad. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be in this mess. There wouldn't be zombies. Thanks to his Isisraxtosa formula, which he sent to Argentina, and oh if I am not mistaken, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay as well.

“So, little miss,” the lady spoke, breaking my thoughts. “Why were you trying to get into my apartment?”

I started crying. “I only wanted to get on the Internet. Mr. Sanders said this house had the Internet he usually used, and was full of zombies, and I was only going in here to kill them off, so I could get the Internet working again.” I continued crying.

“You didn't have to come down here, just for the Internet. You could have just called. I would have fixed the problem.”

“We can't, the phone isn't working.” I pointed out.

“Oh I forgot,” she chuckled. “By the way, how is The Coronal doing?”

I must have looked sad because she looked sad. “He didn't make it. He was killed in an ambush of zombies on the roof pool.”

“That's horrible. That place was crawling with zombies. It would have been safer to go to the old pool on the main level. It may not be filled at the moment, but give it a few hours, and it would be filled.”

“Why didn't we think of that, before we went up there?” I cried again. “I saw the old pool looking out over to Mears Park, I thought it was out of commission.”

“You use large words for such a young girl,” she points out to me.”

I blushed. “Um. I'm a fast learner,” I lied. I wasn't going to tell her I was formerly a boy.

I remember Jill was upstairs. If she wakes up, she will freak out that I was not there. “I should get going. I forgot my friend Jill is upstairs.”

“How old is she?”

“She's six, just like me,” I smiled. I guess I can say I am six. I wish I were still sixteen. But being six isn't that bad. I can hide better.

“You girls, shouldn't be living all by yourself. You should move down here with me.”

“It's okay; I am good at fighting zombies. I fought off two of them out there just a few minutes ago, and also some at the pool, on the roof.”
“I still think it would be best if you stayed here. Two little girls shouldn't stay alone.”

How many times will she have to say that? I was about to tell her my secret and say I was born a boy and am sixteen years old, but there was a knock on the door.

“Who could that be?” The lady wondered. She walked over to the door and looked out the peephole. Why didn't she do that, when I was there? Maybe she did, but didn't see me because of my height. “Oh my goodness.” She opened the door. On the other side was Mr. Sander holding my Katana. I guess that's how he found me. Behind him was a mad looking Jill. I was in for it with her.

“Mr. Sanders! I thought you were dead!” I cried, hugging him.

“I would have if it wasn't for Jill dropping her sword in the pool. I was able to kill all of the ones in the pool in time and get away. Shutting the door behind me. I would recommend not going back up there.”

Because Mr. Sanders was alive, we could live upstairs in the apartment. That is where I would like to go. But the best thing is, we could go from floor to floor. No zombies are on either level. Thanks to me, killing off the only two on this floor. We worked on fixing the Ethernet cord. It wasn't surprising to find it accidentally unplugged. She must have unplugged it while cleaning up one day. The place looks like it gets clean a lot. Even now during the Apocalypse.

Maybe since we did these levels of the apartment, we could do all the other apartment levels and have the whole apartment to ourselves. It would be a safe place for all people we find. Could we kill all the dead, from all forty or so floors, and make a safe haven?

We could also work on making the pool clean upstairs and the one outside. But that will be a while. I really hope not for a long time. Since what happened with Jill and Mr. Sanders earlier today.

We made it back in the apartment, and I was able to get on the Internet to check out a few places in the area that might help us. Plus, I might check out a few videos. I haven't watched TV in a few days. I will go crazy if I don't see my favorite shows, even if I have already watched it.

Jill was again back in the room reading a book. She sure loves reading. She is also mad at me. I hope she will not be mad at me forever. I was only gone for a while to get the Internet working. I didn't think she would know. I was trying my best to get back. I believe she woke up and realized I wasn't there, and freaked out thinking she wouldn't see me again.

I stepped into the room and sat down on the bed. Jill kept reading the book. I was hoping she would look up. After a while, I started to cry. “I'm sorry for leaving you alone, Jill” I cried.

“That's not the reason why I am mad at you. I wanted to go with you when you went down to the apartment for the Internet. You should have told me.”

“Oh, I didn't know that.” I pouted, “I'm sorry.”

Jill hugged me. “You're my best friend and best friends stick together.” I was fatigued from this day, and so was Jill. We both fell asleep a few seconds later. I know we didn't eat much today, but we will tomorrow, I know that.

It was true, because the next morning, we were up and famished. I found out the lady that lives down stairs name is Beverly. She was kind enough to bring up some fried eggs, pancakes and a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice.

With Beverly in her apartment the whole time, I wonder how many more people lived in this apartment. There had to be some way to find out without the dead knowing.

I stare outside. The zombies took over left and right, from every which way. Mears Park was now entirely zombies. I wonder why they like that park so much. I am about to go crazy being here. I wish I could go somewhere. Even to a mall or something.

Mr. Sanders and Jill are in the living room reading a book. How can Jill handle reading so much? I know it's boring, but wouldn't it be efficient to find something to do?

“Mr. Sanders?” I whine. “Is there anything I can do to pass the time?”

“You could read a book,” he suggested.

I sighed. “Never mind.” I wish I could go zombie hunting or something. It was fun yesterday until Jill fell in the water. We could also be swimming. “Beverly said the pool downstairs is still safe for us. All we need to do is fill it up.”

“That pool? I don't know what she is saying, but it's too dangerous. You can only go to it by going through the Skyway. It's part of an old fitness” Mr. Sanders said. “Plus, you would have to do a lot of climbing. We would have over forty-five stories.”

“How did you bring Jill and me up here then?”

“I carried you, and Jill rode my shoulders.”

I look over at Jill. She was smiling. Lucky. I looked back at Mr. Sanders. “What about the zombies? How did you get up here without fighting them?”

“I killed all of them in the staircase. I had to find a way to get from one place and another faster. Besides, taking the elevator would make a lot of noise. I disabled it that way it wouldn't be used by anyone. I know it wasn't a good idea, but it's an old elevator, and it doesn't close quick enough. If there were zombies on the other side of the door when it opened, you wouldn't have time for it to close, before they got inside.” He gazed at me, waiting for a response. “So, still want to go to the pool?”

I smiled. If he wants to be smart, I will be smart back at him. ”Only if I ride your shoulders.”

~o~O~o~

We were in the staircase heading downstairs. Jill stayed back. She was not ready for a mission. Instead, she wanted to hang out with Beverly and make dinner. But for precaution, I grabbed my Katana. I wasn't sure if any found their way to the staircase. Anything could happen now.

I was having a fun time. I haven't had a shoulder ride since I was little. Now that I am little again, I had to take advantage of it.

I was surprised that only a few staircases had some lights blown out. Otherwise, it was bright. It was also easier to identify the dead lying there on the floor. A bit gross though. I wonder if it was possible to get new light bulbs for the missing ones. I hate the dark.

I got a lot to think about while going down these stairs. One thing I noticed was how much Jill and I changed in the last week.

I wonder about mom and Jessica. Are they safe from the tornado? They were in the cellar when it hit the house. I wonder if they are grieving over me and Jill, if they are still alive? I have to find out if they are. There must be a way to find out.

Finally, we make it to the bottom. But that isn't the end. Now we have to find a way to get to the pool. Will there be zombies in the pool area, like they are on the roof? And if they are, I hope there are not as many.

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Need more weapons.

I hope they can find better weapons n ammunitions. fighting close range against zombie are risky. One small bite and you are done. :)

exactly

Natalie is smart. She will think of something soon.

name.png